Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

The EW pics are pretty over the top romance novel covery cheesy.  And why does Claire now look like an escapee from a more adult version of Little House on the Prairie?  There's nothing 1760s about that shirtwaist.

I was going to say the same thing, but I've just started to watch Black Sails, and women on that show wear something similar.  It's set in 1715.  So... sharing both sets and costumes, perhaps?

Oh, how the North Carolina mountains would love to host Outlander.  Eastern Europe has doubled for North Carolina before (see Serena) but I hope we see something that resembles this (minus the parkway, of course).

LinnCove_Viaduct.jpg

• Love 1
10 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

The EW pics are pretty over the top romance novel covery cheesy.  And why does Claire now look like an escapee from a more adult version of Little House on the Prairie?  There's nothing 1760s about that shirtwaist.

There was a very minor dust up on Terry Dresbach's Outlander Costume Twitter feed today because someone said that the outfit looked too 20th century.  Several people pointed out that that's part of the idea - after all, if she's having clothes made it's plausible that she brings her own perspective to clothes made for her.

On the other hand, Terry D also said that EW chooses the costumes for the promo photo shoots and neither she nor the producers have any say in any of it. 

The upshot was that it's useless to get too twisted up about promo shoot costumes and wait until we actually see the show so we can judge the costumes in context.

• Love 2

I'm binging on season 1 and I got the wedding episode last night.  So right now my mental image of Jamie is of the fresh-faced virgin whose face is just a billboard of conflicting emotions including wonderment, lust, uncertainty, post-coital bliss, more uncertainty ("Ye didna like it?"), and adolescent pride ("Oh ye DID like it.")  Those scenes were filmed only 3 or 4 years ago and yet the contrast between that version of Jamie and the one portrayed in these photos & videos is amazing.  I can't wait to see both Sam and Cait sink their teeth into the acting challenge of depicting characters who are 20 years older, wiser, more damaged, yet even more confident than the pair we met in season 1.  I'm getting so PSYCHED!  But I'm also treading carefully.  I watched the clip above and I loved it but I still haven't read the related story in the Entertainment Weekly even though it's sitting on my desk, open to the photo of Sam & Cait.  Its not as if I can be spoiled -- I've read the whole series twice and certain parts of Voyager multiple times (you know the scenes I mean) -- but now that the show is really and truly coming back I'm holding back on indulging in all the press.  It's like when you are a child and you can hardly wait for Christmas Day.  Do you just look at the presents under the tree with anticipation or do you check them out -- shaking and prodding them to figure out what they hold? I'm leaving the presents alone for now. Mostly.  

• Love 4

I just read the ew article and am surprised by how much was said in it.  I know I can't really be spoiled because I've read the book a dozen times, but still surprised.  I would stear clear if anyone is looking to stay spoiler free.

Now all that said, I'm off to drool over the pics in my magazine again.  My god they are gorgeous!

Remember everyone in the Washington, DC metro area, Diana Gabaldon will be at the National Book Festival at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center this Saturday, 9/2.

She will be speaking on the Main Stage and signing afterwards. Here are the details:
http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/author/diana_gabaldon/

Diana Gabaldon

At the 2017 National Book Festival

Presentation

Main Stage
Saturday, September 2
11:25 am - 12:25 pm

Book Signing

Saturday, September 2
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm

The best-selling author of the wildly popular Outlander series, Diana Gabaldon has written eight Outlander novels, which have sold more than 28 million copies. Her new book, “Seven Stones to Stand or Fall: A Collection of Outlander Fiction” (Delacorte) comprises seven novellas of Outlander fiction, two of which have never been published. Gabaldon is currently working on the ninth Outlander book but says she cannot predict when it will be completed. “My books are huge and take an enormous amount of time to write. Plus, I have to do a lot of historical research for each book.”

The Outlander crew is doing some pr in the next few days. Sam is going to be on Kelly and Ryan on Sept.5th. they are also doing a Exclusive Premiere of Season 3 for EW and then after have a Q&A on September 5th. Cait will be on Kelly and Ryan on Sept.7th and Sam and Cait will be on GMA on September 8th.  

Edited by mtsmvfn
  • Love 2

Just wanted to report back after attending the National Book Festival in Washington, D.C. and seeing Diana Gabaldon. Diana's talk was held on the Main Stage, the biggest room of the festival, like a big ballroom, with a balcony. Her presentation followed Pulitzer Prize winning author, David McCullough, who had a packed house. I wondered if Diana would lose any of the crowd and certainly people left after Mr. McCullough's talk was over, but many people stayed and new people filled all the empty seats. She was very well received and I could tell that many of the attendees were new fans. When she finished her presentation, the lines to ask her questions were ten to fifteen people deep on both sides of the room, so quite a few did not get to ask her anything. A half hour later, she was down in the author signing area, signing any book you brought -- although they were promoting her latest, Seven Stones to Stand or Fall. When I arrived the line was incredibly long. It wrapped back and forth about six deep and then they had to take the remainder and create new lines. At first, they said she would sign up to two books, she would personalize them, and take a photo if you like. However, it was pretty clear they couldn't do that with everyone, so they changed it to only one book, no personalization, and no photos. She was only supposed to be there for one hour, but she graciously stayed for at least two hours so that everyone could get at least one book signed. Diana's line was the longest of the day, except for the Captain Underpants author! ;-)

I'm reporting all this because I've seen Diana before, and she was always popular, but boy this TV show really created a lot of additional fans of all ages and both sexes. I was very impressed.

All the talks at the festival were videotaped by C-SPAN, so they will be up and available for all of you to watch eventually. I don't know when.

Here she is on the stage:

And here she is signing my book:

Oh, I didn't see this before. Here is a link to a one-on-one interview PBS did with Diana at the festival. PBS was off to the side doing these interviews all day.

• Love 4

Another link someone else posted. Diana sings! Here she is addressing the National Book Festival's Gala, the night before the festival, including many illustrious guests, like Members of Congress. Her little part starts at 1:17:25. And there's a number of things I'd never heard before!

Just scroll through to that bit:

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Wellllll????? How was the interview? Did they let Sam talk? How'd he luik? Did Kelly ask him to speak with Scots Brogue??????

I can't wait 8 hours until I get home tae watch!!!!!

While I haven't watched it yet the reaction from some devoted Outlander fans on facebook was not favorable.  The hosts were said to be "vapid twits", and they apparently (in these fans' opinion) treated the whole interview as a joke.  I usually do not watch these interviews because the questions are frequently repetitive and the hosts are either giggley  or completely clueless. 

I just watched it on YouTube.  Yes, it was vapid.  Sam entered and do-si-doed with audience members on his way to the stage.  The tried and true discussion of what's under a kilt.  One brief explanation of what's going on this season.  "Love notes" to Sam sent in ahead of the show.

The big takeaway for me was how Sam towered over Kelly and Ryan. He is a sizable fellow.  His hair was blonde - and Kelly commented on this - and he mentioned he had just finished filming the spy movie.  I thought he looked very handsome. 

29 minutes ago, abbey said:

While I haven't watched it yet the reaction from some devoted Outlander fans on facebook was not favorable.  The hosts were said to be "vapid twits", and they apparently (in these fans' opinion) treated the whole interview as a joke.  I usually do not watch these interviews because the questions are frequently repetitive and the hosts are either giggley  or completely clueless. 

4 minutes ago, Clawdette said:

I just watched it on YouTube.  Yes, it was vapid.  Sam entered and do-si-doed with audience members on his way to the stage.  The tried and true discussion of what's under a kilt.  One brief explanation of what's going on this season.  "Love notes" to Sam sent in ahead of the show.

The big takeaway for me was how Sam towered over Kelly and Ryan. He is a sizable fellow.  His hair was blonde - and Kelly commented on this - and he mentioned he had just finished filming the spy movie.  I thought he looked very handsome. 

Just what I was afraid of. If today was vapid, then Thursday will be a cringworthy, secondhand embarrassment of riches on The Spew View. Because I don't recall any of the hosts ever commenting on watching this show. I guess I'll mute and just watch for the purty. EGADS! Blonde? Meaning his natural color? He's sae mooch better as a ginger!!! At least for me. Ye ken?

14 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Well, here's a better interview with Sam:

Season 3 Weapons & Why He Punched Tobias Menzies in the Face!
http://www.etonline.com/exclusive-outlander-star-sam-heughan-reveals-season-3-weapons-why-he-punched-tobias-menzies-face

Thank ye, @Nidratime!!!!

As an aside, and specifically, @WatchrTina, I caved and created a Twitter Account just so I could follow Sam!

""I sleep with my sword under my pillow,"

Re Bow and Arrow:

"You point the pointy thing at the bad people,"

I   ❤️?❤️?❤️?❤️ SAM!!!!!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

It really freaks me out to see Tobias being a nice, normal guy in those videos.  I KNOW he's an actor.  I know he's NOT Black Jack Randall (or even Frank Randall).  But it still freaks me out.

I think it is clever that they did Cait / Tobias and not Cait / Sam.  We left their characters separated by time at the end of season 2 and I suspect we're not going to see the two of them doing press together as a pair until they are reunited in the show.  All the better to torture us.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

We left their characters separated by time at the end of season 2 and I suspect we're not going to see the two of them doing press together as a pair until they are reunited in the show.  All the better to torture us.

Except they have been doing press together. ;-)

• Love 1

Yup.  I just saw that they did Good Morning America.  So . . . nevermind.  I'm a bit out of the loop.  I'm actually avoiding much of the press.  I'm eagerly awaiting the show and I'm afraid of encountering show spoilers.  I saw the link to the GMA interview with Sam & Cait but I didn't watch it.  I DID watch Caitriona on Stephen Colbert and I thought she did fine, though it was a very short interview (Bernie Sanders was the main guest.)

ETA:  I just watched Sam & Cait's Q&A on Facebook.  It was fun but it was just a bit of fluff, wasn't it?  They don't want to give out spoilers (for which I am grateful) but it leaves them with nothing meaningful to say.  I did learn one thing however.  Sam can juggle!

And as long as I'm reading press (no self control obviously) here's a link to the NPR story on the show.  One minor spoiler about a character introduced in Season 3 -- the rest is really just an introduction to the show and a celebration of its success.  http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2017/09/08/548990502/pop-culture-happy-hour-outlander?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170908

Edited by WatchrTina

Terry tweeted a link to this story by the ladies from "Frock Flicks" who responded to the kerfuffle that erupted after the EW cover story on the return of Outlander included photos of Claire wearing what some said was a modern button-down shirt.

http://www.frockflicks.com/outlander-chill/

I loved these ladies' take on the Season 2 fashions but, alas, that was a one-time thing. They were inspired to cover the show because of the smorgasbord of costume goodies in the Season 2 Paris episodes.

I was also gratified to see that Tom + Lorenzo sent a nice tweet Terry's way after seeing the first six episodes.  These guys reviewed the show's costumes (and the stars' red carpet looks) for a while until our virulent fandom pissed them off to the point that they walked away from the show.

Edited by WatchrTina
2 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Yup.  I just saw that they did Good Morning America.  So . . . nevermind.  I'm a bit out of the loop.  I'm actually avoiding much of the press.  I'm eagerly awaiting the show and I'm afraid of encountering show spoilers.

It's hard for me to believe but I'm actually kind of tired of seeing Outlander things in my various social network feeds.  It's not that I don't love it, it's just that I'm really afraid of getting overexposed and really, how many times can I listen to folks giving the same answers to the same freaking questions?  That said, I can hardly believe that there is less than 48 hours to go!

• Love 5

@FnkyChkn34 I love them too but I haven't seen a new one yet.  She used to post them on Scotland Now's website and I just searched it but did not find the one for S3E01.  I follow her on Twitter so I'll tweet her now.  If I hear anything I'm post it here.

ETA:  it looks like Connie WILL be recapping the episode on a new website (link below) but in the meantime she's posted a few preliminary thoughts.

http://tvkillstime.com/2017/09/10/deep-thoughts-outlander-301-the-battle-joined/

Edited by WatchrTina