Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Nidratime said:

To be frank -- pardon the pun -- I don't even care about the initials. It never had a romantic impact for me in the story because I don't find carving into skin an expression of love. Leaving that aside, fans who do "love it" prod and prod and prod, and before you know it people are exchanging irritated tweets. I think, after the first time someone mentions their "unhappiness," they should let it go because, what in the world do they expect to happen now? A redo? Time and time again, Diana, the writers, *and* fans have acknowledged that this is an adaptation, but the moment "their" little special moment doesn't make the cut, it's all over and it's devastating and it's not my story, ad nauseum, etc.

Yup to all of this Nidratime.  Twitter gets on my nerves A LOT, I have unfollowed so many Outlander related accounts because of the constant twitter wars.  I am thisclose to unfollowing Terry Dresbach as it seems like every week she is in a Twitter war that goes on and on and on.....

(edited)
6 hours ago, Summer said:

Yup to all of this Nidratime.  Twitter gets on my nerves A LOT, I have unfollowed so many Outlander related accounts because of the constant twitter wars.  I am thisclose to unfollowing Terry Dresbach as it seems like every week she is in a Twitter war that goes on and on and on.....

Related to this, my favorite Moore quote from the Vanity Fair interview is “I’m heartily sick of talking about people’s hair color. . . . Let me tell you that.” I don't mind the occasional nitpick--I get that book readers have favorite lines and a clear picture of Jamie's and Claire's appearance--but I am much less concerned about height or coloring than I am about the actor's ability to inhabit the character. What a loss it would have been had Catriona been rejected because she is too tall and doesn't have naturally curly hair.

Edited by AD55
  • Love 9
(edited)

my favorite Moore quote from the Vanity Fair interview is “I’m heartily sick of talking about people’s hair color. . . . Let me tell you that.”

The really funny part about that comment is that he hasn't been talking with FANS about hair color . . . he means that there has been meeting after meeting among and with his staff discussing hair color.  Sam's hair was dyed many, many times with multiple tests under various lighting conditions before they started filming.  It looks like Sophie had to go through the same experience.  I think it's funny that even in the relatively "glamorous" work of TV-production and show-running there are tedious, thankless chores that even the most senior people have to do.

Edited by WatchrTina
15 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

The really funny part about that comment is that he hasn't been talking with FANS about hair color . . . he means that there has been meeting after meeting among and with his staff discussing hair color.  Sam's hair was dyed many, many times with multiple tests under various lighting conditions before they started filming.  It looks like Sophie had to go through the same experience.  I think it's funny that even in the relatively "glamorous" work of TV-production and show-running there are tedious, thankless chores that even the most senior people have to do.

Yes and no. I have gotten the impression that some of these conversations have taken up more time than Moore would prefer because there are passionate fans, including Terry, among the writers and other crew members, who get very protective of their favorite parts of the books. On the one hand, he has said he deliberately included book and nonbook readers among the writers in an effort to strike the right balance between fidelity and adaptation. On the other, I don't think he was expecting quite so may heated discussions about the physical appearance of the characters. I wish more book readers had argued for a less pumped Jamie. I usually try to stay away from commenting on the physical characteristics of the actors, but since this was a deliberate choice, I feel it's okay to say I wish they had asked Sam to embark on a regimen that had Jamie appear strong and powerful in a more sinewy way (like a swimmer or like the horseback rider that he is) than someone who is an ardent member of Gold's Gym. That's just my shallow personal preference, though I do think it's also more faithful to how an eighteenth-century laborer would have appeared.

• Love 6
(edited)

Interesting to hear these non-bookreaders review the final episode. They seemed to have really enjoyed it. (Be interested to hear their takes on the other episodes.)

ETA: They have a spoiler section towards the end of the video for those who want to avoid spoilers ... even though their spoilers are not quite on the mark. But still. You can close it down before they get into any details. 

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 2

I think I remember early in season one someone (Ron, Diana, Maril) talking about Sam's physique.  They made the statement that they wanted him to bulk up, not like a body builder, but to reflect muscles that a laborer would acquire.  And that's how I always viewed his body - reflecting the hard work required on a farm.  Did I like Jamie's body?  Absolutely, but I'm shallow.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Clawdette said:

I think I remember early in season one someone (Ron, Diana, Maril) talking about Sam's physique.  They made the statement that they wanted him to bulk up, not like a body builder, but to reflect muscles that a laborer would acquire.  And that's how I always viewed his body - reflecting the hard work required on a farm.  Did I like Jamie's body?  Absolutely, but I'm shallow.

That's basically the way I understand ut as well. Jamie does a lot of hiking and climbing as well as building up the chest and shoulders to have a close to the eighteenth century look and have his body reflect that sort of life. It will be interesting to see how Sam reflects the changes of a more mature Jamie physically....but then Jamie had more of an outdoor life for much of the time between DiA and Voyager and I suspect there won't be much of a change in the show as a result.

(edited)

Interesting that Maril refers to Claire as being 40 in the finale. I believe she was born in 1918. By my math, that makes her 50 in 1968. I'm not overly invested in their making Catriona look 20 years older than she does in seasons 1 and 2--there's a woman in my office with awesome genes who is in her mid-50s and could pass for 40. You just know that Sam is going to look awesome, though,

Spoiler

even after 7 (?) years in a cave and a long stint in a brutal prison, not to mention his multiple injuries and near death experiences.

My shallow side is just fine with this, but there's a part of me that would like to see a Jamie whose appearance reflects what he has endured for 20 years.

The picture of Catriona with Sophie Skelton highlights how much they resemble each other.

Edited by AD55
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Interesting to hear these non-bookreaders review the final episode. They seemed to have really enjoyed it. (Be interested to hear their takes on the other episodes.)

ETA: They have a spoiler section towards the end of the video for those who want to avoid spoilers ... even though their spoilers are not quite on the mark. But still. You can close it down before they get into any details. 

From the episodes that I've listened too they loved the whole series.. Goldderby are experts in all thing award shows.. in their reviews they also talk about what episodes and who submitted what for the Emmy's. They talk about the chances for Emmys in what areas they are stronger and they said that they submitted 7 episodes for writing.  It is fascinating to hear them talk about the show. 

34 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

I think you can only see it via Amazon video in the UK. :( Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure that's the case.  But it wasn't available at all for months and months after it first aired in the US.

I'm really not surprised about the actors - there are so many great shows out there that are more mainstream and have equally great actors that I would have been surprised to see anyone from Outlander. 

• Love 1

I think there are shows that used to be "great" but are getting recognized based on past glory, like Downton Abbey, for instance. There are a lot of potential nominees these days with streaming shows, cable shows, broadcast shows, that I think voters are either too lazy or too overwhelmed to sample them all, so they fall back on what they've heard of.

What @Nidratime said.

I wasn't surprised to see no acting nominations for Outlander, but I was really hoping for one for Caitriona. She was absolutely deserving for season 2. So I was definitely disappointed about that.

• Love 2

This article doesn't tell us anything new, but I like Caitriona's take on Claire and Jamie's relationship in S3.

http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Outlander-Season-3-Details-42017026#photo-42017028 

"I think what's going to be most exciting is the reunion between Claire and Jamie and them discovering each other again and falling in love all over again. I think both of them have probably held each other up on a pedestal for 20 years, so in many ways, they're going to have to destroy that image first before they can fall in love with the person right in front of them, and that's going to be really interesting. I love the complexity of that, because you can't be in love with a ghost, and Claire is in many ways in love with Jamie's ghost, as Jamie is in love with her ghost, and that's not the people they are when they see each other again."

• Love 4

More interesting comments by Albrecht, including the possibility of seasons 5 and 6:

Here’s Why Starz Isn’t Holding Its Breath for an ‘Outlander’ Emmy

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/starz-outlander-emmy-ceo-chris-albrecht-power-1201712106/

Starz Boss On Lionsgate Merger, Push For Diversity & ‘Outlander’s Future – TCA

http://deadline.com/2016/08/starz-boss-lionsgate-merger-diversity-outlander-future-tca-1201796668/

This isn't exactly the media and we don't have an overall Season 2 thread yet, so I thought I would share this here:

From Diana:

I enjoyed this thoughtful, nicely-written blog ranking the episodes from Season Two, and thought you might also enjoy it--whether you agree with the blogger's rankings or not. <g> 
So...which episode was _your_ favorite? (Or least.)

here's the link: http://outlandercastblog.blogspot.in/2016/08/war-politics-faith-love-and-tragedy.html

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 2

Thank you, Athena. I must have looked past that thread because I wanted to post the link in a place where both book readers and non book readers could see it. So, I guess this was the perfect place. 

Sam was interviewed by Harper's Bazaar. They focus on his Barbour spokesman's job a bit, but there's also questions about Outlander, including about season 3. So, for those who want to know *nothing* you might want to avoid. Also, the audio for the first few minutes is crap. Once you get pass that, it's good.

• Love 1

Thanks for posting, Nidra!  :)

Sam mentions he doesn't have any new non-Outlander projects coming up but I could have sworn it was announced last year sometime that he was cast in a movie where he was to play an Oxford professor that falls in love with a woman with a terminal illness??  Am I making that up? Lol

Also, whatever happened to "When The Starlight Ends" w/Dr. Oz's daughter?  Was that ever released? 

7 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

I had problems with the audio quality throughout, Anybody care to recap in spoilers as needs be?

Well, one thing he mentioned towards the end is that they will be filming into May of 2017. Don't know if that means they can still premiere in April, with the earlier episodes, or whether that will push the premiere to a little later. Also ...

Spoiler

he says they will be filming in South Africa, so maybe they're going to use the ships from Black Sails after all?

As to the first item, the show was still fliming the last half of season one episodes into mid-September of 2014 for the 2015 episodes; and so yes, it is possible they can have a late April premiere and have the final episode ready for July-August. (There's a couple of holiday weekends in there so that could push the season 3 finale to the end of August with a late April start for airing.

As to the spoiled comment:

Spoiler

Black Sails should have finished by May, so it would make sense with the need for those ships to have those available, and it would allow some re=dressing of outdoor sets if need for the tropical setting.

Thanks for those!

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 1

whatever happened to "When The Starlight Ends" w/Dr. Oz's daughter?  Was that ever released? 

I was just re-reading some of Sam's responses to the 20 questions he answered online back when the number of his Twitter followers hit a milestone in December 2015 and he said this:

Q When does that movie you made with Dr. Oz’s daughter come out?
A Name of movie is When the Starlight Ends. Post production done. However, politics over the final cut delaying #indyfilm

IMDB still lists it simply as "completed" so I'm afraid this one has gotten bogged down and is still stuck in a holding pattern.

I'd really like to see the film he made with Laura Donnelly (Jenny) and Rosie Day (Mary Hawkins) -- "Heart of Lightness" -- which was supposedly released in 2014 but I've never seen it available for streaming anywhere.

Edited by WatchrTina