Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Frock Flicks and Go Fug Yourself are fashion blogs that recap the show and haven't flounced, so far. The GFY comments section isn't as hardcore about avoiding book talk as TLo was, there are guidelines but there, it would be okay to point out that something that's already happened on the show, happened differently in the book, and how. FF as a site is all about critiquing period fashion in film and TV, so their assessments can seem super pedantic if, for example, knowing the difference between 1740s and 1760s French fashions doesn't ruin your enjoyment of the show. They also do a weekly podcast about each episode.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, Dejana said:

Frock Flicks and Go Fug Yourself are fashion blogs that recap the show and haven't flounced, so far..

Thanks so much for mentioning Go Fug Yourself! Never heard of the website before, but I just checked it out and it's really cool. I'm definitely going to keep reading their recaps, as well as their other articles.  

I already follow Frock Flicks, but I don't actually comment on it much. I love reading their commentary in general because I learn so much from them, but I don't know enough about clothing to make intelligent comments beyond "That was pretty" or "Oh I didn't like that." 

• Love 1

A reminder that this media thread includes content for both bookwalkers and unspoiled show watchers. Bookwalkers, please err on the side of caution with media discussion. Other threads such as Show Spoilers or Books vs Show can be used. I moved a few posts over to the latter. Thank you!

While the release did not mention a number of episodes, in the podcast for the last episode Ron said that 16 episodes were too much for the cast and give the impression that future seasons would most likely be 13 episodes.

• Love 4

That's kind of what I was thinking.  So I'm trying to break voyager into 13 eps and wondering just what they will cut to make it happen. It's doable, but def needs some chopping.

Yes! YES! 
Okay I am sad because it means I can't read the books for another two seasons.. but! we've got two more seasons! well worth it sooo amazing. 

Sláinte! 

25 years to the day the first book was published seems like a good choice to make that announcement. Happy World Outlander Day, indeed!

A two-season announcement is a big freaking deal.  

When did they wrap up filming season 1? They started filming season 2 last May (2015). I know they've been scouting a bit for season 3, so I'm curious when they might actually start production. They have to give everyone a nice break so no one gets burned out.

Super exciting!

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Dust Bunny said:

Sláinte! 

25 years to the day the first book was published seems like a good choice to make that announcement. Happy World Outlander Day, indeed!

A two-season announcement is a big freaking deal.  

When did they wrap up filming season 1? They started filming season 2 last May (2015). I know they've been scouting a bit for season 3, so I'm curious when they might actually start production. They have to give everyone a nice break so no one gets burned out.

Super exciting!

it looks like July to Sept. 2013. (from wiki). 

While there is no new episode on 7/2 there will be an Outlander Marathon of season 2 episodes on that day to tide us over until the season finale airs.

(edited)
16 minutes ago, dustoffmom said:

What in the name of God is she wearing here??!

It looks like an oddly ornate bag to me. ;)

Seriously, though, the stylist who put her in that should be fired. I also wonder about whoever designed it. I'm not sure that would look flattering on anyone. 

Edited by Zella
14 hours ago, Keeta said:

This is ostensibly a recap of episode 209, Je Suis Prest, and the author does get to it, but it's more of an interesting discussion of adaptation from the point of view of a non-book reader.

http://www.wired.com/2016/06/outlander-recap-s2e9/

You know, I think this writer really misses the point of the comment, "it's in the book."  It isn't that the book is sacrosanct, it's that one of Herself's strengths is that all of the major action plot points have far reaching consequences. Leaving out an assault, for example, removes a key piece of the puzzle that makes up the three dimensional character two or three or five books from now.  I actually give Herself a lot of credit; it can't be easy letting the producers chop down your book, knowing that the details are important down the road.  There seems to be a really strong adaptation partnership, where the writers add in those "beats" in other ways.  The episode commentary for Je Suis Prest made it clear that the writers were aware of the little flashbacks sprinkled throughout the books and pulled them together to make Clare' s trauma story.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Apparently, Ron Moore, Toni Graphia, Matt Roberts, and Anne Kenney all appeared at the Writer's Guild Foundation as a panel and I just watched it on Periscope. Very interesting, but the one takeaway, gossipy snippet I got was that I think Ira Steven Behar (sp?) won't be writing for the show anymore. (No guesses why. ;-) And they've hired some new writers (plural) who were sitting off to the side and we didn't see them. I hope one is Richard Kahan. Anyway, the parting -- my guess -- is probably due to Steven having something else to do. Ron just mentioned -- when they asked about the writers -- that Steven worked on seasons 1 & 2, period.

Edited to add:

Okay ... having rewatched that part of the talk, I have doubts about my original interpretation above. What Ron might have been saying is, "This is our writing staff [meaning everyone sitting on the panel] plus, Ira Behr for the first two seasons. The new additions to our writing staff are sitting right over there...." 

I thought Ron was singling out Ira Behr as only working on the show for the first two seasons, but he probably was saying that *all* these people, plus Ira Behr were the staff for the first two seasons. *And* here are the new additions.... 

But, to be honest, adding more writers probably means that someone will write less or not at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was Ron Moore, himself, since he signed on to do that other miniseries with Bryan Cranston.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

You would think that someone who had been a model would be able to dress herself better but she always seems to miss the mark, somehow.  Not usually that badly, though. That's probably the worst thing I've ever seen her in.  Too bad Tom & Lorenzo are boycotting Outlander because I'd love to read what what they have to say. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Archery said:

You know, I think this writer really misses the point of the comment, "it's in the book."  It isn't that the book is sacrosanct, it's that one of Herself's strengths is that all of the major action plot points have far reaching consequences. Leaving out an assault, for example, removes a key piece of the puzzle that makes up the three dimensional character two or three or five books from now.  I actually give Herself a lot of credit; it can't be easy letting the producers chop down your book, knowing that the details are important down the road.  There seems to be a really strong adaptation partnership, where the writers add in those "beats" in other ways.  The episode commentary for Je Suis Prest made it clear that the writers were aware of the little flashbacks sprinkled throughout the books and pulled them together to make Clare' s trauma story.  

DG definitely carries through a lot of plot points, so they have consequences/resolutions/meaning, and a non-book reader wouldn't know that. I wonder if the writer's comments are more directed in spirit at the rigidity some passionate fans can display though. "It's in the book" can mean what you said, or it can also be narrow-mindedness to the possibilities for creativity within an adaptation, as well as the idea that maybe some things could be improved for television. I think a lot of it depends on the tone of the discussion. 

Here's a youtube link to the writer's panel I watched last night. Now I can rewatch and confirm whether my impression of the changes in the writers is true. (I know they hired new ones, but wasn't clear on whether Behr is not writing for the show anymore. As bookreaders,

Spoiler

we do know BlackJack is not a factor after S2, and Behr "specialized" in him, so there's one reason they might have felt it was a natural departing place.

In any event, here it is. I don't think there were any spoilers for forthcoming seasons, but there might be for forthcoming episodes:

• Love 2