Type keyword(s) to search

Outlander In The Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

On 4/23/2016 at 2:59 PM, WatchrTina said:

My new theory is that they don't want the news of a season 3 for Outlander to get lost in the PR juggernaut that is the season premiere of Game of Thrones.  I'm on pins and needles waiting to see if the big question (i.e., the status of Jon Snow) will be answered in the first episode.  If that question is answered I think the internet will explode.  So waiting another week or two for Outlander's big news may make perfect sense.

Hope you weren’t too disappointed.

(edited)

I'm just nervous about how freaking expensive it must be to shoot this show and if that has anything to do with renewing it.  Most TV shows don't have the elaborate locations shoots, costumes, set design, etc that Outlander has.  Although having said that, I'm sure Game of Thrones probably has a similar cost associated with it and they get renewed every year so maybe my worry about S3 is all for naught.  Also, thinking out loud, the cast of Outlander is/was all relatively unknowns so I would imagine the salaries would be relatively low comparatively to shows with big name actors.  

Ok, so I may have just talked myself out of my worry about S3, lol!  

Edited by Summer

Black Sails seems like it would be rather expensive too, and it's going strong for Starz. Depending where they shoot, you can reduce costs a lot. 

• Love 1
On 4/24/2016 at 5:32 PM, Dust Bunny said:

Hide contents

ETA: OR, if they want to be playful,

Hide contents

they could make the non-book readers think there might not be need for a season 3. They don't know Jamie lives. They don't know Claire goes back. How intriguing would it be for after Roger says "Jamie didn't die in Culloden" to have the screen go black and say "Outlander returns [insert date]. And THAT is the renewal notice.

Another week goes by with no word about renewal and this theory on waiting is starting to look even more enticing.  On the one hand, it seems unlikely that a premium network would play these games, but on the other hand it would be quite delicious if they did.  Outlander is doing well in the ratings, I think it's their top show ratings wise.  They have received widespread critical acclaim.  It's possible behind-the-scenes negotiations and such are still going on, but we're nearing the halfway mark and one has to think that not announcing now indicates games are afoot.  I'm starting to route for your fakeout theory!

• Love 1
(edited)

Power is Starz most watched show FTR. It's the worst kept secret that there will be a season 3, there will be. The only question is it the last. 

Edited to add: I haven't listened to Ron's latest podcast but he apparently let it be known that they are breaking down Season 3 scripts right now. Maybe someone can confirm?

Edited by peacefrog
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, peacefrog said:

Edited to add: I haven't listened to Ron's latest podcast but he apparently let it be known that they are breaking down Season 3 scripts right now. Maybe someone can confirm?

I just listened to it. Yup - they're working on the Season 3 scripts now.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Summer said:

I'm just nervous about how freaking expensive it must be to shoot this show and if that has anything to do with renewing it.  Most TV shows don't have the elaborate locations shoots, costumes, set design, etc that Outlander has.  Although having said that, I'm sure Game of Thrones probably has a similar cost associated with it and they get renewed every year so maybe my worry about S3 is all for naught.  Also, thinking out loud, the cast of Outlander is/was all relatively unknowns so I would imagine the salaries would be relatively low comparatively to shows with big name actors.  

Ok, so I may have just talked myself out of my worry about S3, lol!  

Seems like there's quite a few lush and elaborate shows on right now. Black Sails, Davinci's Demons (which are on STARZ as well), Crossbones, Game of Thrones and etc. Cable networks seem to be showcasing quite a few rather expensive shows, so I'm not sure that's a problem for the show getting renewed as long as it keeps finding an audience.

16 hours ago, Lion said:

Another week goes by with no word about renewal and this theory on waiting is starting to look even more enticing.  On the one hand, it seems unlikely that a premium network would play these games, but on the other hand it would be quite delicious if they did.  Outlander is doing well in the ratings, I think it's their top show ratings wise.  They have received widespread critical acclaim.  It's possible behind-the-scenes negotiations and such are still going on, but we're nearing the halfway mark and one has to think that not announcing now indicates games are afoot.  I'm starting to route for your fakeout theory!

Last season Bates Motel was forever in getting an official renewal. I think it had to do with scheduling and contract negotiations, but in the end the network renewed it for two seasons. Could be they're trying to do something like this for Outlander, which would be a nightmare trying to lock everyone down for a couple seasons. Plus, if they're trying to lock in a S4, locations may have to change and such. 

Bottom line, I'm not worried. While I never bank on it until we get the official word, seems like we'll be getting at least one more season.

Even though this is not a media link, I thought I would place it here so bookreaders and non bookreaders could take advantage of it. Apparently, on the official site, Outlander Community, they place a lot of background information, including the actual shooting script. Here's the link for episode 2.4, The Dame Blanche. I'm guessing the others -- at least from this season -- can be found on the site. It's interesting because I think some lines were left out of the show.

Click on the side, where it says, Inside the Script with Toni Graphia to get to the script, but the rest of the page has some good information too.

http://www.outlandercommunity.com/index.php?f=insideoutlander&s=204

(edited)

Terry posted a link to this website and did an interview with them.  It's a blog devoted to the historical accuracy of costumes in period dramas and they'll be reviewing Outlander all season from that perspective.  I've really enjoyed their posts.  Shockingly, however, they liked the pink-and-purple number that Annalise wears when she meets BJR at Versailles (see link to their review of episode 205 below.)  

http://www.frockflicks.com/outlander-costume-recap-season-2-episode-5/

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
(edited)

Here's the interview Terry Dresbach did with the folks at FrockFlicks.com.  It's funny because they called her out over the frequent use of back-lacing on the bodices of dresses (apparently it was not all that common in 1740's France) and Terry curtailed its later use as a result.

http://www.frockflicks.com/interview-outlander-terry-dresbach/

It saddens me to learn that we will probably never see a "perfect robe a la francaise" in the show but I'm very pleased that now I know what one IS and why it was so hard to include that signature look in the show.  For the record I tweeted Terry to ask if the blue gown in ep 206 is a robe a la francaise (it has the draped box pleats from the shoulders in the back) or is it the one of the approximations they had to settle for due to all the difficulties they had getting the costumes done.

BTW, if you are really into costume talk, Tom + Lorenzo (Fabulous & Opinionated) are doing TWO blogs for each episode of Outlander this season.  One is about the story and one is just about the costumes.  Terry has discovered these guys and now posts in the comment section of their "Outlander Style" blogs from time to time.

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2016/05/outlander-style-untimely-season-2-episode-5-resurrection-costumes-analysis/

Tom + Lorenzo also comment on what celebrities wear on red carpets and they've been a bit harsh to our Cait & Sam so I have to look the other way when they go there.

Edited by WatchrTina
(edited)

Here is Tom + Lorenzo's review of ep 206 (their reaction to the plot, not their review of the clothes).  This bit made me laugh:

So, okay: The Frasers, having failed to stop the Battle of Culloden from happening by throwing a dinner party, have escalated their plans to the level of poisoning innocent people and then later, engaging in literal highway robbery. But that’s not even the craziest thing that happened this episode. Nor, sadly, is it the darkest part of the tale. Because when things go bad for the Frasers, things go spectacularly bad.  Again, we might have had some quibbles with how quickly everything Jamie and Claire accomplished turned into a giant dumpster fire, but the writing has done an excellent job of setting everything up all season long.

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2016/05/outlander-best-laid-schemes/

Edited by WatchrTina

I love these articles which interview the writer, Toni Graphia, about the choices they made in putting together this latest episode, Faith, and who is responsible for what. However, I feel like I can't really put these links in the media thread without a warning that non-bookreaders might find spoilers in here in terms of the storyline going forward.

So, please be warned.

How Outlander Pulled Off Its Most Harrowing Episode Yet

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/05/outlander-recap-episode-207-faith

• Love 1
(edited)

From the article, regarding Fergus' rape - and it's not a spoiler:

“I don’t think we were ever going to not include it, we just wanted to make sure that we did it justice and it wasn’t gratuitous or titillating in any way,” Graphia says of the scene, which appears may be the first-ever depiction of child rape on television. “Some people are going to be unsettled by it. We did it in what we consider an organic way. Hopefully people understand it and even applaud it, it’s something that goes on and it shouldn’t be in the dark.”

The attack is mentioned in Diana Gabaldon’s book, A Dragonfly in Amber, but not shown; when it came to the episode, Graphia felt that such a crucial moment—the reason Jamie broke his promise to Claire—had to be depicted onscreen, no matter how upsetting. “We need to understand why Jamie broke that promise,” she says. “Claire couldn't just hear about it. You’re supposed to be angry when you see it.”

WOW - I could not disagree more. What the hell does "what we consider an organic way" mean? I might have lost a tiny bit of esteem in Graphia - maybe all the writers, considering the pronoun "we" - if they consider writing it that way to be some sort of triumph. Sometimes, you don't need to be the "first-ever" to depict something. I'm definitely not going to applaud that decision.

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Dust Bunny said:

WOW - I could not disagree more. What the hell does "what we consider an organic way" mean? I might have lost a tiny bit of esteem in Graphia - maybe all the writers, considering the pronoun "we" - having read that. Sometimes, you don't need to be the first to depict something. I'm definitely not going to applaud that decision.

This is probably my primary frustration with the show (and overall, I do love the show!). They seem to constantly be trying to justify showing the rapes, beyond where any reasonable viewer needs them to. I didn't need to see the big long scenes of Jamie suffering at Jack's hands, nor did I need to see Fergus face down on the bed. (I agree that one was probably shot taking care to keep the child actor from the room during the thrusting, etc). But the show can't seem to get it, that we're pretty emotionally aware and can imagine the scene. Just Jamie's horror when he came into the room after hearing Fergus scream would have been sufficient to get the point across.

I wish the show would just admit it. They do it because they want to. Not because we need them to. We don't need them to "challenge us"; we don't need them to show it to us. We don't need to see it to understand why Jamie broke his promise. We don't need to see it to understand the devastation that Jamie was dealing with himself, after what he went through. The show producers/writers/directors consider themselves to be not shying away from showing the gritty emotion that goes along with rape, which... great. But that emotion exists well beyond the rape itself. It's not necessary to handle it this way. They could respect and give justice to the emotion, without having to beat the viewer over the head with the action of rape.

If they'd just say something like "yeah, but we can show this because we're on a premium cable channel, and we like to see what we can get away with," I'd probably deal with it better. I'd still think they're kind of shortsighted, but at least I wouldn't feel condescended to.

Mileages vary, of course.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Dust Bunny said:

WOW - I could not disagree more. What the hell does "what we consider an organic way" mean? I might have lost a tiny bit of esteem in Graphia - maybe all the writers, considering the pronoun "we" - if they consider writing it that way to be some sort of triumph. Sometimes, you don't need to be the "first-ever" to depict something. I'm definitely not going to applaud that decision.

I just read a different interview and I think it breaks down what she means. She mentions the book and how it wasn't shown - but you can use your imagination and get to that point. for non book-readers, etc, it needed to be shown why on earth Jamie would break his word to Claire. On one hand, Fergus simply could have stated "the British redcoat raped me, M'Lady and M'Lord was angry and demanded satisfaction."  or just like CalamityBoPeep just mentioned and could have had the "MiLord" scream and what not but if we saw what Jamie saw (as well as Fergus), then it is a more deeper connection , to which (to me , but I can see why not for you or others)  that makes a lot of sense. 

To be honest with you - I didn't really 'notice' the rape, if that makes sense. Like i was aware it was happening but i was so caught up in Fergus's telling and just how everything was happening, that the actual "rape" scene didn't apply for me. I know this is totally a YMMV though. 

And i just realised this is going to be merged (what a segue) - but looking at wikipedia (i was seeing if there was going to be another "Droughtlander" - but no, i's going to go strong until the finale June 2nd (only 13 episodes, boo!) - the numbers are really strong this year (seven episodes, all seven over 1 million views - but they are dropping each week. Now I am curious if this has to do with the France aspect (i know for most of the non-book readers we're tired of France) - or Jamie/Claire not being so close, or what. but. I do think that can be a good sign

(compared to last year - Episode Seven (The Wedding) had 1.23 views. (for obvious reasons).  but that was one of the biggest spikes. 

24 minutes ago, CalamityBoPeep said:

I wish the show would just admit it. They do it because they want to. Not because we need them to. We don't need them to "challenge us"; we don't need them to show it to us. We don't need to see it to understand why Jamie broke his promise. We don't need to see it to understand the devastation that Jamie was dealing with himself, after what he went through. The show producers/writers/directors consider themselves to be not shying away from showing the gritty emotion that goes along with rape, which... great. But that emotion exists well beyond the rape itself. It's not necessary to handle it this way. They could respect and give justice to the emotion, without having to beat the viewer over the head with the action of rape.

I totally agree.  I feel like it was the same way with the nudity.  Did Geillis REALLY have to rip her shirt off at the end of her midnight woods spirit dance?  When BJR captured Claire, we got that she was in grave danger, did she REALLY have to do an almost entire scene with her breasts exposed.  When Claire and Jamie were making love just before the deserter red coat soldiers found them, did Jamie have to expose one of Claires breasts?   I have no problem with the nudity when it made sense, i.e. The Wedding, The Reckoning, etc.  but it just seemed like there were so many scenes where they would throw it in just cause they could and use the excuse "well, it's in the books".

• Love 3

So the fact that they haven't renewed the show already is worrying to me. Especially with the criticism of late regarding the massive amounts of rapes depicted on the show in relation to loving, sexy times.

So the fact that they haven't renewed the show already is worrying to me. Especially with the criticism of late regarding the massive amounts of rapes depicted on the show in relation to loving, sexy times.

Well, if that's the reason they would cancel a show, then they should cancel Game of Thrones too. I just don't get this complaint at all. It's almost like there's some double standard for a show that has had major appeal for women.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, maraleia said:

I'm not worried at all. Starz is proud of the show. I'm still thinking that they'll announce it

Spoiler

right after episode 213, as part of Roger declaring Jamie survived Culloden. By then, many non-book viewers will probably figure either Jamie will survive or there will be a season 3 regardless. Still, I think it's a rather playful way to do it.

• Love 1

I don't know why they won't stick with Saturday. own that day instead of competing with Sunday. 
Ugh I need to know if this show will be renewed because if it won't I can get started on reading the books. 

Tom & Lorenzo have said that they're through with Outlander.  Apparently there was some big dust up on Twitter where avid book readers gave them a lot of grief for daring to dislike anything to do with the show.  They said on Twitter that the hostile book readers have ruined the show for them. They even locked the comments section on their most recent review.  It all seems a hair unprofessional - I mean if you're going to put yourself out there on social media, you are going to get a certain amount of grief.  On the other hand, life is short and they'd probably rather not have to deal with crazy people on Twitter.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, toolazy said:

Tom & Lorenzo have said that they're through with Outlander.

That's a shame.  I always enjoyed their reviews.  That being said, I ran into some avid book readers last season on another forum who very nearly ruined the show for me also, so I completely understand. 

As far as Starz moving their programming to Sunday: there is no way they can compete with GoT.  They shouldn't even try.

(edited)

I participate some in the Tom and Lorenzo comment sections. I think it was a longstanding issue of them requesting book readers not discuss the books in the tv recap comments and being ignored and preached at about it in every single post, as well as emotions running really high in that particular comment section. Some of the comments got pretty nasty, not necessarily toward Tom and Lorenzo, but between commenters on the review, and that's what spilled over onto Twitter with someone trying to misrepresent what happened in the comments. I think said person was even trying to drag official Outlander Twitter accounts into it by tweeting to them how awful Tom and Lorenzo were being, though i thought they were handling the whole thing rather professionally.

If it were just over one post, I'd say they were being petty, but I think this has been an issue that's festering for them for quite some time. It's a shame, though. I've loved reading their thoughtful, insightful reviews ever since I stumbled across their site a couple of years ago during a Mad Men binge.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2

I've read some things that say GoT is heading toward its finale (maybe one or 2 more condensed seasons? is that true?) and that Starz may be trying to capitalize on that audience. So far, HBO doesn't have a hit lined up to take over. If that's true, I think it may be a smart move. At this point, assuming we get season 3, speculation is that it won't even happen until fall 2017 or maybe even 2018?? I believe the assumption there is due to the fact that season 2 was already filming by now and they only seem to be breaking down the book now for S3.

• Love 1

The rabid book fans are, um, "enthusiastic" to say the least.  There are many times I wish I didn't follow anything Outlander on social media, but I do like the inside scoop from the production or actors, etc.  I did unfollow a few Outlander sites on Twitter and I just don't click on the FB comments if Diana happens to post something.   It has reduced a lot of my stress, LOL!

That being said, THIS site is a breath of fresh air, with many book fans and many non readers all getting along, it renews my faith in humanity.  A big collective hug to all you!  

• Love 14

Yeah, I think it's possible, because of where they are in production, that Outlander  could be moved to the fall and won't even compete with GoT. (I have no clue how much longer GoT will last. I always thought they try to milk popular shows to death.)

This move is a non-move really. They get a shot at a larger audience that watches tv on Sunday than the smallest night of Saturday. It doesn't matter if the field is crowded. Plus they get more exposure post show with articles coming out on Monday instead of Sunday. 

It's smart to start with their strongest show Power as the first. I'm also positive the numbers that they haven't released of non live viewings this seem good. They could have a substantial number watching Sunday in that time slot. I don't think their total live plus 7 day will go down. 

Last I think American Gods will draw GoT. That should has the potential to pass Power as most watched. I think the show will be huge and draw many new subscribers to Starz. Outlander isn't coming back in the spring.

Also yes, GoT has 2 more truncated seasons I think. 6 or 8 episodes. The Walking Dead ratings have plateaued and have slipped a bit. Now is the time to make a move. 

(edited)
16 minutes ago, Grashka said:

I don't know. I've read all of their recaps this season sans the last one, as well as comments under each of them, and I don't recall anything nasty being said there, neither against Tom and Lorenzo nor between the posters. I also don't remember any preaching from book readers or them ignoring "no book talk" rule. But maybe those particular comments got delated before I read them.

I think all big fandoms have their share of crazies, "Outlander" is just not an exception.

For sure crazies exist in all fandoms!

I think the book comments got deleted regularly but I remember seeing them. The nasty comments between commenters were specific to this particular episode's post and all things considered weren't the worst I've seen between people about this episode--people were much more hateful with me on another website--but it actually got much worse on twitter. Someone in another comment mentioned it escalated on twitter, so naturally I had to investigate. :) 

Edited by Zella