Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

Athena

S06.E14: Equal Rights Amendment and Phyllis Schlafly

Recommended Posts

Quote

Other segments: Donald Trump's trip to the United Kingdom, Theresa May's resignation as Conservative Party leader, 2019 Conservative Party (UK) leadership election (Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, and Rory Stewart)

 

Share this post


Link to post

Getting the depressing story out of the way first: seriously, it can't be said enough how much I feel for those of you having to deal with this Brexit bullshit. This is just beyond ridiculous. 

Thank goodness we had a relatively hopeful story to follow that, though. Yeah, I'd be genuinely shocked if Alabama, Georgia, or Missouri in particular pushed for the ERA, given recent news out of those states, but hey, if any of them wants to pleasantly surprise me for once, please feel free to do so!  As for Schlafly, I've heard a bit about her here and there, but man, those clips. Ugh. I will never understand how some women can be so against stuff like this (I mean, I know about some of the reasons as to why some women don't support this stuff, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating and baffling). 

I am pleased that my state is among those who've already long ago supported the amendment :). And I'm happy to hear that the House and the Senate both support this. Here's hoping that one of the remaining states is bold enough to step up so that we can get this thing officially passed once and for all.

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post

After several episodes highlighting how fucked up Tennessee is (all accurate) I’m thrilled to learn that we’re on the ERA ratification list. 

Ollie and his team giving that Rory video the Zapruder treatment was hilarious. 

  • Love 7
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Ollie and his team giving that Rory video the Zapruder treatment was hilarious

I was nonstop LOLing! At least he found something to be funny about in the absolute hell hole that is UK politics right now. Maybe New Zealand could reverse-colonial lend them Jacinda for a while...

As an Arizonan, I’m pulling for my state to pass the ERA.  Victoria Steele is from the district next to me, and my reps would support it, too. But I live in a blue dot—overall Arizona is not as red as Mississippi, but red enough to make this a challenge. 😕

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

I think we could have used more ERA,  because the opening bit seemed too centered on John getting money anytime he said the name “Rory.” Or post-show orgasms. Maybe both. I did find out that Theresa May's successor will be picked via dubious methods, and that is how a buffoonish asshole like Boris Johnson gets to be Prime Minister. And woe be unto the undersized children of the world he might wind up meeting. And hospitalizing.

Eleven of the thirteen states that didn’t ratify ERA are based in the south? Oh, wow, no way, you guys. 🙄 Okay, Maybe ten, but it’s still discouraging. It did give John a reason to poop on a few states (“The fuck, Mississippi???”), but then we had to see clips of Phyllis Schlafly troll people decades before it became a thing online.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I find myself wondering how many of the already-ratified states would demand take-backsies if the ERA were pushed forward now....

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

Quote

As for Schlafly, I've heard a bit about her here and there, but man, those clips.

I'm an old.  I remember Schlafly well, and no 10 minute segment can do justice to how evil she was.  She made a career out of unironically stumping all over the country declaring that the wimmen folk are born to stay home and please their man.   You young'ns need to google her (and while you're at it read up on how her legacy lives on in the person of her son Andrew). 

  • Love 19
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, attica said:

I find myself wondering how many of the already-ratified states would demand take-backsies if the ERA were pushed forward now....

So do I. I think it would be more difficult to pass now because of the antagonism against transgender people, the issue of which would be a complicating factor.

I loved the whole segment on Rory Stewart. The dissection of the grainy film was hilarious. I bet the writers were cracking up as they delved deeper and deeper into it. And I loved John's descriptions of Stewart as Britishness metasized, and the result of Eddie Redmayne fucking Willem Dafoe in a Wallace & Gromit cartoon.

BTW, I thought Trump had been given Churchill's actual hat. I couldn't believe it! So, WHEW! 

  • Love 6
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Hooper said:

I'm an old.  I remember Schlafly well, and no 10 minute segment can do justice to how evil she was. 

I remember that hosebeast as well, and the fact that she wasn't immediately drummed out of the human race speaks volumes about the times.  Young women, especially young women who disparage their elders, don't realize how much their elders struggled against to get where we are now, though I acknowledge where we are now still isn't good enough.  Anybody remember the hideous, best selling 70s book, "The Total Woman," which--guess what, kids--was not actually about women achieving their maximum potential?

That was early Barbara Walters trying to tell Phyllis Schlafly that kids of divorce would not be divided like Solomon, but she got steamrollered.  And hey, who remembers the hue and cry when Barbara Walters was named the first female co-anchor of the evening news?  You would have thought she had bled all over the newsroom.

14 hours ago, ahisma said:

But I live in a blue dot—overall Arizona is not as red as Mississippi, but red enough to make this a challenge. 😕

Sigh.  I was quite discouraged to note that in the 2018 election, every single race in my suburban Phoenix district went red.  Kirsten Sinema only won because it was a statewide race, and only by a hair.  I have no faith that the AZ legislature is going to ratify the ERA.  If I were guessing who might be the 38th state, I'd guess Virginia.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 12

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Hooper said:

I'm an old.  I remember Schlafly well, and no 10 minute segment can do justice to how evil she was.  She made a career out of unironically stumping all over the country declaring that the wimmen folk are born to stay home and please their man.   You young'ns need to google her (and while you're at it read up on how her legacy lives on in the person of her son Andrew). 

I read the Wiki page on her last night. Yeeeeeeeeeeah, so much stupidity there, I don't even know where to begin-and, of course, her backwards views don't just stop at issues relating to women, either. I love, too, how she was all about how women's main focus was supposed to be in the home, but she was out there working ,and grew up in a family where her mom was the breadwinner after her dad lost his job during the Great Depression. Good thing your mom didn't have that mentality during a seriously difficult economic time, huh, Schlafly? Idiot. 

8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

It did give John a reason to poop on a few states (“The fuck, Mississippi???”)

Sadly, it didn't even surprise me seeing that state's flag. It always amazes me how conservatives will sit there and push their jingoistic 'RAH RAH PATRIOTISM!" mentality...all while continuing to support a flag from a time when an entire section of the country wanted to break away from the rest of the States, and for incredibly shitty reasons at that. Doesn't sound very patriotic to me, but hey...

21 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

That was early Barbara Walters trying to tell Phyllis Schlafly that kids of divorce would not be divided like Solomon, but she got steamrollered.  And hey, who remembers the hue and cry when Barbara Walters was named the first female co-anchor of the evening news?  You would have thought she had bled all over the newsroom.

I got a kick out of seeing her in that clip :D. Her voice is very recognizable. 

And yeah, I've heard about some of the controversy during her early days in the news world. I truly can't imagine being that fragile over the mere idea of a woman working the same kind of job as a man. It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic. 

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I can't really see any of those states budging not with what's going on now with abortion. If their not voting to allow women to control their own bodies, their definitely not going to want to vote on equal rights for women. I did love John's song and comments about the different state Oklahoma and the musical, Alabama and Mississippi. I'll never understand Phyllis Schlafly or women like her how you could be a woman and not support equal rights for women. I loved John's remarked about how happy her husband is to get her out of the house.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I read the Wiki page on her last night. Yeeeeeeeeeeah, so much stupidity there, I don't even know where to begin-and, of course, her backwards views don't just stop at issues relating to women, either. I love, too, how she was all about how women's main focus was supposed to be in the home, but she was out there working ,and grew up in a family where her mom was the breadwinner after her dad lost his job during the Great Depression. Good thing your mom didn't have that mentality during a seriously difficult economic time, huh, Schlafly? Idiot. 

Amazing how that is, isn't it? She's all about women remaining home and yet she's out there working, doing interviews and other stuff. If that's how she thinks it should be then why isn't she at home? Also, conveniently ignores the rights she's against are the very ones that allow her to be out.  

I didn't know that about her mother! So what would she have rather starved to death and died in the Depression then have her mother out their working? What an idiot.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Amazing how that is, isn't it? She's all about women remaining home and yet she's out there working, doing interviews and other stuff. If that's how she thinks it should be then why isn't she at home? Also, convenient ignores the rights she's against are the very ones that allow her to be out.  

I guess so long as it benefits her and allows her to spout off her nonsense, that's the most important thing. Anyone else wanting to benefit from those rights? Who gives a shit about them, apparently. 

Quote

I didn't know that about her mother! So what would she have rather starved to death and died in the Depression then have her mother out their working? What an idiot.

I honestly don't know. I can't begin to imagine the spectacular mental gymnastics she had to do to explain away such contradictions. 

12 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I loved John's remarked about how happy her husband is to get her out of the house.

My mom and I got a really good laugh out of that bit :D. 

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

That Phyllis lady really was priceless, wasn’t she?  When she said something to the effect that she loved saying her husband let her out of the house because it made women’s libber mad, I didn’t get mad at all, I just rolled my eyes, almost to the point of hurting them.  Look lady, far be it from me to tell you what your marriage should or shouldn’t be, and if that works for you then more power to you, but it’s laughable to think she gets to tell other women what will work best for them. 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Amazing how that is, isn't it? She's all about women remaining home and yet she's out there working, doing interviews and other stuff. If that's how she thinks it should be then why isn't she at home? Also, conveniently ignores the rights she's against are the very ones that allow her to be out.  

In a patriarchy, benefits always, always, always redound to women who espouse the status quo and work to harm other women. It's part of the structure of misogyny.

  • Love 10

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, peeayebee said:

 And I loved John's descriptions of Stewart as Britishness metasized, and the result of Eddie Redmayne fucking Willem Dafoe in a Wallace & Gromit cartoon.

this 100%. Those were so funny and so on point.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

 I loved John's remarked about how happy her husband is to get her out of the house.

that was my other favorite part of this episode.

I truly don't understand women like her. I have no answers when my husband looks to me for an explanation on how they exist. I have no clue.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

18 hours ago, meowmommy said:

. Anybody remember the hideous, best selling 70s book, "The Total Woman," which--guess what, kids--was not actually about women achieving their maximum potential?

During the segment I turned to Mr. Khyber and mentioned that book. 

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

To be fair to Barbara Walters, I think it's clear she was just stunned at how far Schlafly was willing to go in lying about what the ERA said. Commonplace, today; shocking, then.

I first encountered Schlafly's take on things sometime in the late 1970s while driving across the southwest late at night, when skip meant I was picking up a station from, I don't know, Chicago or somewhere. Let me tell you, the rage kept me awake on a long stretch of empty interstate...

Edited by wendyg
  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I truly don't understand women like her. I have no answers when my husband looks to me for an explanation on how they exist. I have no clue.

Part of it is religions that teach the woman's place is in the home raising children and making things nice for her husband.  Along with it comes the belief that it is unnatural for women to work outside the home, and there's no point in educating girls to be get anything but an Mrs. degree.  And the belief that many evils befall children who are not raised in such a two-parent household.  Which feeds into the way to control women is by not allowing access to birth control and abortion. 

I was very young when Schlafly virtually single-handedly destroyed the chances of the ERA passing.  I do remember she was on the news all the time.  Reporters always had to tell us what Schlafly was saying, doing, where she was speaking.  She got all the interviews on shows like 60 Minutes.  She was so scornful of and condescending to women fighting for equal rights.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/10/2019 at 11:40 AM, Hooper said:

I'm an old.  I remember Schlafly well, and no 10 minute segment can do justice to how evil she was.  She made a career out of unironically stumping all over the country declaring that the wimmen folk are born to stay home and please their man.   You young'ns need to google her (and while you're at it read up on how her legacy lives on in the person of her son Andrew). 

I was born in the 90s and I remember my mom randomly ranting at me about how terrible Phyllis Schlafly was while I was really confused about what she was talking about LOL.

Her son is the one who runs Conservapedia, right?

On 6/10/2019 at 11:12 PM, andromeda331 said:

Yeah, I can't really see any of those states budging not with what's going on now with abortion. If their not voting to allow women to control their own bodies, their definitely not going to want to vote on equal rights for women.

I don't know, Florida Man (and Woman) might surprise us one day, as they are a wildcard in general. Plus an increasing number of Floridians originally came from NY/NJ.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:17 PM, andromeda331 said:

Amazing how that is, isn't it? She's all about women remaining home and yet she's out there working, doing interviews and other stuff. If that's how she thinks it should be then why isn't she at home? Also, conveniently ignores the rights she's against are the very ones that allow her to be out

I would have been like "If women should be quiet and their purpose is serving their families, can we start by getting you to shut up and go home?" Her hypocrisy and lack of awareness of that hypocrisy was hilarious/sad.

I was also confused about the custody thing...aren't men usually upset that women usually get custody, so that would be a point in favor of ratifying it?

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Her son is the one who runs Conservapedia, right?

Yep. The answer to the "left-leaning" Wikipedia. 

Quote

I don't know, Florida Man (and Woman) might surprise us one day, as they are a wildcard in general. Plus an increasing number of Floridians originally came from NY/NJ.

Did not know that. Interesting.

I loved that girl saying, "I'm so tired of living here!" I get the feeling that's Florida's unofficial state motto :p. 

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

I was also confused about the custody thing...aren't men usually upset that women usually get custody, so that would be a point in favor of ratifying it?

Phyllis Schlafly wasn't trying to convince men to oppose the ERA; she was trying to convince women, in this case by scaring them that their children would be taken from them in divorce.

  • Love 6
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/12/2019 at 7:51 PM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

I don't know, Florida Man (and Woman) might surprise us one day, as they are a wildcard in general. Plus an increasing number of Floridians originally came from NY/NJ.

 

Yup, the transplanted Tri-staters are just about the only thing that gives me hope for down there. I always enjoy Mets/Marlins broadcasts because it's like watching a home game.

And wow, Boris Johnson. Way to fail upward.

ETA: Speaking of the Metsies, Ollie was at a game a couple weeks ago and was gracious enough to give a little interview from his seat. He's a legit Mets fan (a holdover from Jon Stewart's "No Yankees Fans" mandate for The Daily Show staff, heh). Anyway it was his son's first trip to the ballpark, awww. 🙂

Edited by spaceghostess · Reason: wayward comma
  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I loved that girl saying, "I'm so tired of living here!" I get the feeling that's Florida's unofficial state motto :p. 

My husband and I literally paused the video to laugh our asses off at that. Definitely the unofficial state motto. It should be on the Welcome sign when you come in! Also my description of Florida is  "In the 90s there was a Playstation game called Driver that my brother played. The game was set in Florida. The player would drive down streets that had the same sets of stores and buildings repeating over and over again. I thought this was just to save on code. Then I visited Florida and found out that is what it actually looks like!" (Also, like the game, you can't get anywhere without a car)

2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Phyllis Schlafly wasn't trying to convince men to oppose the ERA; she was trying to convince women, in this case by scaring them that their children would be taken from them in divorce.

Yeah but maybe this tactic could be used to get the "men's rights" people on board with it 🙂

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Yeah but maybe this tactic could be used to get the "men's rights" people on board with it 🙂

Ah, but to "men's rights" people, 'equal rights' are punishment!

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I remember Phyllis Schlafly. A real disgusting piece of work that one. But worse was the image of Robert Dornan screaming horrible shit on my screen. A disdainful GOP asswipe before being a disdainful GOP asswipe was in vogue. I wish he drops dead soon like Schlafly.

It's a shame Rory Stewart isn't a leading contender to be the next Tory leader/prime minister of the UK (yet Boris Johnson is). He's got a face that would make all the editorial cartoonists around the world shout "THANK YOU JESUS!!!"

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

Yeah, I remember Phyllis Schlafly. A real disgusting piece of work that one. But worse was the image of Robert Dornan screaming horrible shit on my screen. A disdainful GOP asswipe before being a disdainful GOP asswipe was in vogue. I wish he drops dead soon like Schlafly.

Just read up on him a bit and this struck me really interesting:

Quote

Robert Dornan was able to take advantage of his family's entertainment industry experience and connections after he embarked on his own acting and talk show career, and make use of celebrity endorsements and campaign contributions to launch his political career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dornan

But...but...I thought that celebrities were supposed to stay out of politics! Funny how that attitude never seems to matter when it comes to Republicans who are celebrities/have ties to celebrities running for office. 

I was also struck by this comment in that same Wiki page:

Quote

When asked why voters should choose Dornan over his Republican rivals to challenge Clinton in the general election, he argued that he had more children and grandchildren than the others, with only Indiana Senator Richard Lugar coming anywhere near him on that score.

WTF?

Anywho, yeah, definitely a sign of what was to come with that party, for sure. 

Quote

It's a shame Rory Stewart isn't a leading contender to be the next Tory leader/prime minister of the UK (yet Boris Johnson is). He's got a face that would make all the editorial cartoonists around the world shout "THANK YOU JESUS!!!"

Ha :D. 

Ugh, Johnson. It's so weird-on the one hand we've got so many people around the world who are horrified by Trump and his antics, going out and protesting him all over the place whenever he visits their countries. And yet so many countries' governments are still trying to have their own Trump running things. It'd be wonderful if people the world over could band together somehow and just kick all these sorry excuses for leaders out once and for all. 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, believe me, Johnson isn't particularly popular either. In his short time as foreign minister he has done his best to insult as many countries as possible. Especially "famous" is the Prosecco incident. And in the case of the UK, the people who protesting Trump are largely the same people who are also opposing Brexit. But they don't really have a say in what the Tories are doing.

Regarding Schalfly: She is proof that the system is pretty effective, considering that there are so many woman who insist on their own oppression. Not that they will ever see it that way.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, swanpride said:

Oh, believe me, Johnson isn't particularly popular either. In his short time as foreign minister he has done his best to insult as many countries as possible. Especially "famous" is the Prosecco incident. And in the case of the UK, the people who protesting Trump are largely the same people who are also opposing Brexit. But they don't really have a say in what the Tories are doing.

Oh, yeah, I know the people overall don't support him. I was just talking about how governments keep trying to push for that kind of leadership despite the fact that it's very unpopular with voters in many countries.

But as we're seeing with a lot of segments on this show lately, apparently what voters want doesn't seem to matter to a lot of government officials nowadays, so...:/. Still, hoping for a good outcome with that regardless. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/10/2019 at 7:06 AM, attica said:

I find myself wondering how many of the already-ratified states would demand take-backsies if the ERA were pushed forward now....

I don't think they can. It's passed congress and all the required states except 1. There's no constitutional limitation on how amendment can be passed either, so I don't know that it's necessary to establish a deadline. You should be able to sue and get that thrown out. 

I was going to ask why didn't the 14th cover this, but they answered. I think a rational court would consider that it does, but we don't have that. 

I thought Virginia recently tried but the vote failed in committee. 

I'm highly doubtful Utah will pass this, and then there's the South. If in fact Virginia is out, then it looks like this is on Arizona. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, ganesh said:

I don't think they can. It's passed congress and all the required states except 1. There's no constitutional limitation on how amendment can be passed either, so I don't know that it's necessary to establish a deadline. You should be able to sue and get that thrown out. 

I was going to ask why didn't the 14th cover this, but they answered. I think a rational court would consider that it does, but we don't have that. 

I thought Virginia recently tried but the vote failed in committee. 

I'm highly doubtful Utah will pass this, and then there's the South. If in fact Virginia is out, then it looks like this is on Arizona. 

I don't see Utah or the South ever passing it either.  

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/15/2019 at 5:32 AM, andromeda331 said:

I don't see Utah or the South ever passing it either.  

That is just so sad.  Why aren't American women up in arms over this?

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, DEL901 said:

That is just so sad.  Why aren't American women up in arms over this?

For one thing, outside of LWT, it doesn't seem to be a big news story (and even if people did try and report on it, it'd be inevitably drowned out by the latest round of stupidity coming from the White House). I don't know that a lot of women are even aware of how close this thing is to being passed.

For another, even if women were aware, a lot of them would no doubt support it, but some of them may not be so vocal about it, because the issue of feminism and equal rights is still so polarizing among some. There's a lot of women who shy away from calling themselves feminists. And, as this episode noted with the mention of Schlafly, sadly, just because you are a woman doesn't automatically mean you'd support this amendment. 

Plus, I think a lot of people just feel really defeated as of late, because it seems like all our attempts at protesting and speaking up on behalf of good policies and other issues affecting women isn't achieving much of anything. Women were outraged over Trump's sexism and spoke up loud and clear about that. Yet he still became president. Many women have protested the extreme anti-abortion bills that many states have tried to pass over the years. Yet as we've seen, politicians are still working on passing them, and getting ever stricter with those bills in the process. There are people who are listening to our concerns, of course, and supporting our fight, but it's such an uphill battle and there's a lot of roadblocks in the way, so some people just give up as a result. I don't agree with that defeatist attitude, but I know it's out there. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/10/2019 at 10:56 PM, Fable said:

That Phyllis lady really was priceless, wasn’t she?  When she said something to the effect that she loved saying her husband let her out of the house because it made women’s libber mad, I didn’t get mad at all, I just rolled my eyes, almost to the point of hurting them.  Look lady, far be it from me to tell you what your marriage should or shouldn’t be, and if that works for you then more power to you, but it’s laughable to think she gets to tell other women what will work best for them. 

It is the same BS we hear when the Right does something to make Libs cry.  I guess we know where this very effective idiocy came from now.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/19/2019 at 10:03 AM, DEL901 said:

That is just so sad.  Why aren't American women up in arms over this?

Because they honestly don’t know.  They don’t know this is out there.  They don’t know that they aren’t already protected, or believe (erroneously as John pointed out) that they already are.  They cannot connect the dots as John did for them because no one is explaining what this is and what this does.  

Women are also too damned busy working three jobs at minimum wage with no child support because of wage gap and other issues that keep them down to have time to know any of this and be mad as hell.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, b2H said:

Because they honestly don’t know.  They don’t know this is out there.  They don’t know that they aren’t already protected, or believe (erroneously as John pointed out) that they already are.  They cannot connect the dots as John did for them because no one is explaining what this is and what this does.  

There are also women who despise feminism, even though they aren't accurate about what feminism is, because they think feminists are saying their choice to be SAHM's is wrong and bad.  They gon't get that feminism promotes women having all the choices, instead of just the ones men allow.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/12/2019 at 11:35 PM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

My husband and I literally paused the video to laugh our asses off at that. Definitely the unofficial state motto. It should be on the Welcome sign when you come in! Also my description of Florida is  "In the 90s there was a Playstation game called Driver that my brother played. The game was set in Florida. The player would drive down streets that had the same sets of stores and buildings repeating over and over again. I thought this was just to save on code. Then I visited Florida and found out that is what it actually looks like!" (Also, like the game, you can't get anywhere without a car)

Yeah but maybe this tactic could be used to get the "men's rights" people on board with it 🙂

Well, there'd be nothing new about that. MRAs have been supporting the ERA for a long time. See these articles for example:

historymatters.gmu.edu/d/7028/

https://www.avoiceformen.com/mens-rights/era-gaining-equal-rights-for-men/

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size