Type keyword(s) to search

Laura & Aladin: A Whole New World (of Shit)

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

That is the exception, not the norm. Most people have debit cards. Just because a few millennials are living off the grid does not mean the majority does. The percentage of people under 65 without cell phones or some type of plastic is very small. Yes, it’s very unusual today for anyone not to have either. 

It depends on which pool you're taking your sample from. Here, where I am, it isn't "unusual" at all.  Also, who the heck said anything about not having debit cards? It wasn't me. The post was about credit cards, not bank accounts. I also didn't say that ALL Millenials lived like that. That's just...odd. 

I'm not really sure why it matters or why it's such a big deal? You do your thing and I'll do mine. If the conversation is going to continue to be personal, however, then I'll be happy to pick it back up in "Small Talk." Though, honestly, I never thought the way I pay for things would be that interesting of a topic. My original comment was simply an  observation about Laura (as in the context of the show) and how low my bar was for her. She's not shown herself to be responsible in any other way, so it's not surprising to me that she didn't have emergency funds or a contingency plan. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Twopper said:

I have read a few blogs where people mentioned the bodies in the streets in one of the towns or cities, but I can't recall which one it was. 

The "friend" Laura was talking to was in Guayaquil which was very hard hit by the virus. This was in the NYT about a month ago: 

"There has been a surge of infections in the province that includes Ecuador’s business capital, Guayaquil, where residents are thought to have brought the virus home after visiting Spain.

In Guayaquil, fatalities during the first two weeks of April were eight times higher than usual, the data indicates — a far greater rise than that of New York City, where fatalities were four times higher in recent weeks.

Within weeks of the first case being identified in Guayaquil, hospitals were overflowing and burial systems collapsed under overwhelming demand, leaving dead bodies to pile in the streets and pushing families to bury loved ones in coffins made of cardboard."

• Useful 2
57 minutes ago, magemaud said:

The "friend" Laura was talking to was in Guayaquil which was very hard hit by the virus. This was in the NYT about a month ago: 

"There has been a surge of infections in the province that includes Ecuador’s business capital, Guayaquil, where residents are thought to have brought the virus home after visiting Spain.

In Guayaquil, fatalities during the first two weeks of April were eight times higher than usual, the data indicates — a far greater rise than that of New York City, where fatalities were four times higher in recent weeks.

Within weeks of the first case being identified in Guayaquil, hospitals were overflowing and burial systems collapsed under overwhelming demand, leaving dead bodies to pile in the streets and pushing families to bury loved ones in coffins made of cardboard."

But since it was 90 minutes away from Laura kinda irrelevant.

8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Many still do.

Arco is the biggie.  Before the pandemic I'd be damned if I was paying that 35 cent debit card fee!  I'd specifically make sure to have money on me if I went to the Arco.  

They also do this at some stations in rural areas of California and Nevada.  A "cash" price and a "credit" price.  The cash price is lower and is written in 2000 point font.  The credit price is in like 12 point sans serif font.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Everything I buy - and a lot of my regular monthly expenses - goes on my credit card, and then I get points or cash-back.

We pay everything off every month.  Can't remember the last time we paid interest on anything.

Ha ha, this is a passed down family tradition in our household.  

I always tell my mom that if credit card points were a woman my dad would be having a tawdry affair, because NO ONE loves credit card points like my dad.  He loves thinking about them, he loves scheming new ways to get them, he loves telling you how he used them.  He just loves them. 

BUT, he, nor I carry a balance.  I pay the full statement every month.  I'm not even sure what my interest rate is because I don't really carry a balance.  

But I always get my sweet, sweet points.  But I'm a points hoarder so I never spend them. 

@mamadrama - I think it's cool to be able to live without plastic and to have a small footprint.  

It's aspirational.  But, if you ever, ever think of considering a credit card, look into American Express.  I believe that even the most basic cards come with travel protections.  My dad knows more about this since he travels like you do. 

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Ha ha, this is a passed down family tradition in our household.  

I always tell my mom that if credit card points were a woman my dad would be having a tawdry affair, because NO ONE loves credit card points like my dad.  He loves thinking about them, he loves scheming new ways to get them, he loves telling you how he used them.  He just loves them. 

BUT, he, nor I carry a balance.  I pay the full statement every month.  I'm not even sure what my interest rate is because I don't really carry a balance.  

But I always get my sweet, sweet points.  But I'm a points hoarder so I never spend them. 

@mamadrama - I think it's cool to be able to live without plastic and to have a small footprint.  

It's aspirational.  But, if you ever, ever think of considering a credit card, look into American Express.  I believe that even the most basic cards come with travel protections.  My dad knows more about this since he travels like you do. 

The travel protection IS a good benefit, for sure. A lot of times the cc car insurance for rental cars alone is worth it. ☺️ Internationally I'm still covered under the travel guide book series I worked for. (I still do freelance work for them.) AAA also covers quite a bit and if I'm going off track IMG Global has been good to me. There's been a lot of places that some plans wouldn't cover. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

The travel protection IS a good benefit, for sure. A lot of times the cc car insurance for rental cars alone is worth it. ☺️ Internationally I'm still covered under the travel guide book series I worked for. (I still do freelance work for them.) AAA also covers quite a bit and if I'm going off track IMG Global has been good to me. There's been a lot of places that some plans wouldn't cover. 

What an adventure!  Now, even my trips feel boring, ha ha!

On 5/23/2020 at 2:15 PM, RealReality said:

I think if Liam wanted to avoid sending emerald into a situation like that, he should have given her away for free but then scrupulously screened potential owners.  Do they have a house or room for a dog?  Do they have kids?  Do they have the dogs triggers?  Are they able to afford a dog?  Can they give you a reason why they want this dog?  Do they have anything for a dog?  If you're in the market for a dog, you can at least have a few things picked out in anticipation.  

That's asking way too much of Liam's time and his energy.  He wouldn't go that far. 

• Love 1

But it doesn't sound like Liam ever tried to find a rescue for the dog which, I believe would have been the best way to protect it's safety.  From what I've heard they charge rehoming fees, they screen applicants and they allow the dog to be returned if it's not a good fit.  

It depends on the rescue. I volunteered for one for a long time that a lot of people considered "strict." Part of the contract that adopters signed was that if they had to give up the dog, it had to come back to the rescue. We asked for donations when people adopted a dog from us and also when we took in dogs that people wanted to give up. Those fees all went toward care of the dogs - especially vet expenses. We spayed/neutered every dog that came in, tested (and treated, if needed) for heartworm; and put every dog on heartworm/flea and tick preventative. Some of our dogs required fairly extensive veterinary care before they could be adopted. We did a pretty thorough screening of potential adopters, which is what earned us the reputation of being "strict." I volunteered with a breed specific rescue (not pit bulls, though I had a pit for a couple of years). Pit bull rescues might be even more stringent with their requirements since the breed has a negative reputation and is restricted in some communities.

Also, who the heck said anything about not having debit cards? It wasn't me. 

Sorry - it was probably my asking you to clarify if your statement that you used cash only meant paper money only or included using a debit card. I think that is what caused the confusion.

• Love 3
On 5/19/2020 at 1:34 PM, MrBuhBye said:

I read somewhere that she couldn’t fly in so she drove in through the Canadian border.  She is a Canadian citizen but doesn’t want to live there because she owes huge sums of child support for another kid who is younger than Liam.  After Liam moved to Canada she moved to Ecuador to sponge off Evelin but then they had a falling out.

i realize i'm late to the game here.  how does she know all the people, corey, evelyn and i thought her husband was liam.  

i think over the weekend when she was trying to get a plane out she said she thought her husband only wanted money from her.  what's with that and where is he?

i think she is absolutely disgusting.  she was showing a vibrator .  is that all these women think about?  she and lisa are totally disgusting 

• Love 6
(edited)
On 5/20/2020 at 11:52 AM, Twopper said:

It's a variation on soap operas, bread and circuses, and the side freak shows at the fair.

They give us something to talk about online?   The only person I know in real life who admits to watching this particular show is my niece who annoys me by texting during the show.  I will give her a pass during this quarantine as she lives by herself, but it interrupts my live chatting.

why don't you suggest she live chat

i don't know anyone who watches these show either.  

Edited by jaybird2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, jaybird2 said:

i realize i'm late to the game here.  how does she know all the people, corey, evelyn and i thought her husband was liam.  

i think over the weekend when she was trying to get a plane out she said she thought her husband only wanted money from her.  what's with that and where is he?

i think she is absolutely disgusting.  she was showing a vibrator .  is that all these women think about?  she and lisa are totally disgusting 

Liam is her son.  Aladin was her husband but is divorcing her.  He is still in Qatar. I think she met Cory and Evelin via the Tell All or social media.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, MrBuhBye said:

Liam is her son.  Aladin was her husband but is divorcing her.  He is still in Qatar. I think she met Cory and Evelin via the Tell All or social media.

thanks.  was aladin a nice guy who just didn't know what she is or was there some other motive for getting involved with her?

4 minutes ago, jaybird2 said:

thanks.  was aladin a nice guy who just didn't know what she is or was there some other motive for getting involved with her?

Some people speculate that she misled him into thinking she could get him US citizenship.  She can’t because she is a Canadian citizen.  Some people speculate that she was financially supporting him but then her pension/disability was reduced and she could no longer do that.  He claims it was because of the way she acted and treated him that they broke up and that he didn’t want a green card or need her money.  

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Some people speculate that she misled him into thinking she could get him US citizenship.  She can’t because she is a Canadian citizen.  Some people speculate that she was financially supporting him but then her pension/disability was reduced and she could no longer do that.  He claims it was because of the way she acted and treated him that they broke up and that he didn’t want a green card or need her money.  

again thanks.  

i would think cory and his girl friend are too young to be close friends with her.  but then she was with aladian

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, jaybird2 said:

again thanks.  

i would think cory and his girl friend are too young to be close friends with her.  but then she was with aladian

On the quarantine show she claimed to have a 25-year-old boyfriend in California.  

3 hours ago, jaybird2 said:

why don't you suggest she live chat

i don't know anyone who watches these show either.  

Ha ha, my sister got me to watch this show and I got my younger brother to watch.  I also got the two of them to watch love after lockup.  A family full of bad influences. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

28 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Ha ha, my sister got me to watch this show and I got my younger brother to watch.  I also got the two of them to watch love after lockup.  A family full of bad influences. 

LOL!!!  NO ONE KNOWS about this.   i get enough grief from my husband because i watch the real housewives so i'm certainly not going to share this info with him.  i watch it on my little 'net book' with earphone so he doesn't have a clue.  he tries to threaten me with exposure to my friends re real housewives. 

• LOL 2
On 5/23/2020 at 11:10 AM, greekmom said:

I don't think Laura had any intention in the episode of leaving Ecuador due to the dog. 

I don't know where she actually got that money from but I don't think it was for the relief fund to bring back Canadians back home.

Anyone know where her current whereabouts are?

She’s being elusive, was it mentioned on her quarantine segments?

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Angry Moldovan said:

She’s being elusive, was it mentioned on her quarantine segments?

She tried to get back to Canada from Ecuador but didn’t have the airfare and by the time she received financial assistance from the Canadian government the last plane out was full.  So it appears she remains in Ecuador.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

She tried to get back to Canada from Ecuador but didn’t have the airfare and by the time she received financial assistance from the Canadian government the last plane out was full.  So it appears she remains in Ecuador.

So does she have to give the travel assistance money back or is she supposed to hang onto it and use it to get back home when flights open up again? How does that work?

• Useful 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

So does she have to give the travel assistance money back or is she supposed to hang onto it and use it to get back home when flights open up again? How does that work?

It’s a $5000 loan so I guess she can spend it as she wants but has to pay it back.

https://www.canada.ca/en/global-affairs/news/2020/03/government-of-canada-to-provide-financial-assistance-to-canadians-abroad.html

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Useful 3
15 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Oh what a shame!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, RealReality said:

Yes, this was my gateway drug to Love After Lockup. Damn you all! 💊🖕

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

Yes, this was my gateway drug to Love After Lockup. Damn you all! 💊🖕

I feel your pain.  Same for me.

Edited by toodles
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 5/27/2020 at 7:22 PM, Angry Moldovan said:

She’s being elusive, was it mentioned on her qurantine segments?

she has a dog in ecuacdor.  she must have gotten the dog there. i can't imagine the gov allowing the dog into the country without weeks if quarantine

27 minutes ago, jaybird2 said:

she has a dog in ecuacdor.  she must have gotten the dog there. i can't imagine the gov allowing the dog into the country without weeks if quarantine

It looked like one of the ones from Florida but maybe she has a thing for bully breeds.

okay, I know this is odd and a bit random, but I have been trying forever--well, since her season--- to recall the person I am reminded of when I see Laura, and it is Betty Broderick.  Not sure if it is the real person or just some of the actresses who have portrayed her.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, Twopper said:

okay, I know this is odd and a bit random, but I have been trying forever--well, since her season--- to recall the person I am reminded of when I see Laura, and it is Betty Broderick.  Not sure if it is the real person or just some of the actresses who have portrayed her.  

I think there is a whole new miniseries about her.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

Are you watching Dirty John right now, too?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Twopper said:

. . . to recall the person I am reminded of when I see Laura, and it is Betty Broderick.  Not sure if it is the real person or just some of the actresses who have portrayed her.  

OMG - you're right!  It's not actresses that Laura reminds me of - it's Betty herself!  The main difference is that Betty never appeared looking sweaty and disheveled, except the time she was videoed in a courtroom kicking and screaming when the cops carried her out.

Betty is now 72 and living in San Diego - still in prison for the murder of her ex-husband and his new wife.

Capture.JPG

• Love 7
11 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Are you watching Dirty John right now, too?

not yet.  My niece who insists on texting me while she watches 90DF and interrupts my live chatting mentioned that I needed to watch Dirty John so I have set the dvr to record the next episode.

23 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

OMG - you're right!  It's not actresses that Laura reminds me of - it's Betty herself!  The main difference is that Betty never appeared looking sweaty and disheveled, except the time she was videoed in a courtroom kicking and screaming when the cops carried her out.

I am glad I am not the only one who thinks so.   I think my mind is getting weird with all this quarantining. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Twopper said:

I'm fairly obsessed with the Betty Broderick story** and I think you're right, Laura looks a lot of Betty Broderick when she was on trial and went to prison. 

** - there is a new podcast out about the Betty Broderick murders called It Was Simple it's pretty well done and the episodes aren't too long. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
34 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I remember watching Betty Broderick's trial on TV. I thought Betty was pathetic and could not believe she had so many supporters. Her husband cheated on her (I can't remember if that was the case) but definitely moved on with his life and another girlfriend/wife. That's not great but by all that is good in this world, that did NOT give Betty the right to go in and kill her ex and his current wife/girlfriend. I was appalled that there were some people who thought Dan got what he deserved. It made me so angry!

And before that, Betty would leave horrific voicemails and have horrific conversations with her children about how bad a dad Dan was, she put her young kids in the middle of everything. And I think she also rammed Dan's front door with her car. 

I don't know if I can watch the new miniseries about it - Betty honestly infuriates me with her smug attitude and self righteousness. I also remember her on the stand saying 'and BAM! the gun just went off!" Yeh lady, it went off all by itself, and managed to go off again to kill the new gal. 

I hope those kids got therapy and are doing well. 

I also remember a video about her not wanting to leave her cell at some point and she was screaming and kicking and screaming at the guards. 

OK, I gotta calm down now. 

image.png.a908144f32c781ef0eafc1aed6de81dd.png

Edited by hookedontv
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, hookedontv said:

I remember watching Betty Broderick's trial on TV. I thought Betty was pathetic and could not believe she had so many supporters. Her husband cheated on her (I can't remember if that was the case) but definitely moved on with his life and another girlfriend/wife. That's not great but by all that is good in this world, that did NOT give Betty the right to go in and kill her ex and his current wife/girlfriend. I was appalled that there were some people who thought Dan got what he deserved. It made me so angry!

And before that, Betty would leave horrific voicemails and have horrific conversations with her children about how bad a dad Dan was, she put her young kids in the middle of everything. And I think she also rammed Dan's front door with her car. 

I don't know if I can watch the new miniseries about it - Betty honestly infuriates me with her smug attitude and self righteousness. I also remember her on the stand saying 'and BAM! the gun just went off!" Yeh lady, it went off all by itself, and managed to go off again to kill the new gal. 

I hope those kids got therapy and are doing well. 

I also remember a video about her not wanting to leave her cell at some point and she was screaming and kicking and screaming at the guards. 

OK, I gotta calm down now. 

image.png.a908144f32c781ef0eafc1aed6de81dd.png

Her husband did cheat on her and went on to marry his mistress. That was who Betty killed when she killed Dan. She did indeed drive her Chevy Suburban into his front door.

You probably wouldn't like the miniseries (at least so far - only two episodes have aired). It's showing Betty in a somewhat positive light. No trace of the nasty, sarcastic, combative woman that she is alleged to have been and Dan is a selfish narcissist who took advantage of her ambition, loyalty and work ethic. My understanding is that Dan wasn't a nice guy and his new wife certainly knew he was married and didn't mind having an affair with a married man, but neither of them deserved to be murdered.

• Love 6

I think one of the most fascinating things about the BB story is that there really aren't any good people.  Everyone behaved poorly. 

No one, NO ONE deserved to die and BB is nuttier than squirrel turds.  But no one was pristine here, not even the wife he recently married.  

And a curious thing to me are those tapes of her son's conversation that were played by the prosecution.  

Obviously Betty is/was insane, delusional and mentally unhinged and just mean and hateful.  And keeping her phone voice messages was naturally the smart thing to do.....but taping a conversation with her son? 

What was the good and legitimate reason for any of that?  Dan wasn't going to talk to her about it because he was known to avoid Betty at all costs.  It kinda seems like he'd give his son a list of talking points and wait for Betty to verbally explode.

And I would imagine this was done with the purpose of dragging Betty back into court or lowering the amount of his alimony payments for her behavior.

And, if true, that's a pretty awful position for a kid to be in.  

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, kacesq said:

I intend to watch Dirty John but my God the Meredith Baxter miniseries (or it may have been two movies, I'm not sure) was excellent. 

I totally forgot about the Meredith Baxter miniseries (or 2 parter, it was a long time ago)! She played an unhinged BB to a tee. From what I remember, Meredith had the hair and even that downturned, sour mouth that Betty has. Took a horrible situation all around and made it into (as far as I'm concerned) a campy show to watch. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, kacesq said:

For those of you interested in the Betty Broderick story, I highly recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Until-Twelfth-Never-Divorce-Broderick/dp/0671726668

I think it's out of print now but I thought it did an excellent job with the case and the people involved.

I intend to watch Dirty John but my God the Meredith Baxter miniseries (or it may have been two movies, I'm not sure) was excellent.  

I think it was two different movies of the week... MBB was incredible!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, RealReality said:

I think one of the most fascinating things about the BB story is that there really aren't any good people.  Everyone behaved poorly

Reminds me of a 20/20 I saw last September about a husband/wife/mistress where the wife killed the mistress (wife was named JennAir if that helps) and all were horrid:  Man's mistress was his BOSS, she was sleeping with a married man and JennAir committed murder.  But the capper?  Hubby is now stirring up the whole pot again, writing a book.  Yes, classy with a K my friend!  JennAir, to me, had suffered a clear break with reality - too much to discuss here.

3 hours ago, RealReality said:

BB is nuttier than squirrel turds.

Yes she is - how people hail her as a folk hero is beyond me.  SHE KILLED TWO PEOPLE!

Laura and Aladin - It bugged the crap outta me when her hair was stuck in her eyelids/eyelashes when she was speaking to the camera.  You are living in a paradise with a cute dog.  Stop complaining and make your winr.  Oh and one more thing, Laura:  Tell your 25 year boyfriend you are broke - see if he sticks around!!!

• Love 4