Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E09: The Stitch Is Back

• Start Topic

The designers learn they'll be creating over-the-top looks inspired by the movie, "Rocketman," which tells the life story of musician Elton John; the designers will receive help from some highly qualified assistants for this project.

Original airdate: May 9, 2019

(edited)

I don't why the film didn't use the actual costumes that Elton John wore back in the day.  My favourite Elton John costume was his Daffy Duck.

Is it possible that Hester is aware of Elton's Daffy Duck suit too?

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 14

Sonia is a sore loser. Honey, you are out of the competition your job was to help your partner. Really agree with the top three and the bottom three. I think I like Sebastian's but could barely see it. Still have him for the win he is really flying under the radar these days.

• Love 24

Well,  that was fun!  My grown kids and I are planning on seeing Rocketman as soon as it's out.  We saw Queen, the movie.   I raised them to appreciate good music.  🤗 

Hester's wasn't the worst this week but she'll have no immunity now. 

Loved both top looks.  Garo has more patience than I would have with Sonia!  Bishme's was great too. 

Sorry to see Leela go but glad Bennie's in.  

• Love 17

I was so excited for this challenge because I’m a huge Elton John fan and I can’t wait to see Rocketman. 

I could have seen Garo, Jamal, and Bishme winning this one. Really great costumes. I don’t think some of the designers knew who Elton John was. I felt sorry for Venny’s model trying to walk in those train pants, those were awful. The judges were right about Lela though, I couldn’t remember anything memorable that she did. 

I’m glad immunity is done but I hope they don’t let Hester continue to slide by to the finale. Shut up Sonia, you were a helper and you didn’t deserve praise or recognition. 

• Love 16

I haven't watch a full season of Project Runway since Christian's year. Yeah. What happened to him? He's like a toothless dog in Tim's shoes.

I hate the designers like Hester who make sure they look amazing, but dress their models like crap.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

Venny’s train bell bottoms were the worst to me, but not upset about Lela getting the auf.

It cracks me up that Karlie is usually on equal height with or taller than the designers when she says goodbye - and they are standing on the runway.

Garo’s was amazing.  I’m glad he won.

• Love 12

I'm all for more male model challenges and more costume challenges! Loved that they were able to go full throttle over the top. 

Christian is so good at saying goodbye to the designers. It's always so personal and touching. 

I'm so glad Sonia was able to "let go" of her bitterness. It really shows growth when she's able to let go of her entitlement of being the premier sous sewer. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 14

How on earth is Hester safe for creating a disco rooster? And Tessa finally got critiqued appropriately. 

Loved Bishme’s look! Garo’s look was stunning but his self-importance irritates me. Not sure about Jamal’s look - it did not suggest Elton John.

Venny got lucky because the train on those pants was silly. He seems like a nice guy but I don’t think that he is long for this competition. Not surprised that Lela was eliminated. I can’t remember a single look of hers - bad or good - before this episode.

I can’t wait to see “Rocketman.” I was lucky to see Elton and his signature looks in concert. What a showman!

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

How on earth is Hester safe for creating a disco rooster?

She had immunity. And the judges told her that she was fortunate that she did.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

How on earth is Hester safe for creating a disco rooster?

She had immunity. And they didn’t want to deal with her again! They did warn her though. I think she would have been in the bottom without the save.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

She had immunity. And the judges told her that she was fortunate that she did.

Yes, I’m aware that she had immunity. Wasn’t she in the bottom a few weeks ago even though she had immunity?

• Love 6
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

Yes, I’m aware that she had immunity. Wasn’t she in the bottom a few weeks ago even though she had immunity?

Yes, which meant the bottom 3 was really the bottom 2.  It will be seen if another round of making a mockery out of immunity when it's known she did it before comes back to bite her now that immunity no longer exists.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Love 3

It's strange to me to bring back the eliminated designers to "help." They were gone because they weren't very good. It seemed for this challenge they were in the way more often than not. And they need to stop with the way they're letting designers choose who they get or which model they get, etc. It's juvenile; this is a professional design competition, not elementary school recess.

• Love 19
4 minutes ago, Ellaria Sand said:

You're right that immunity doesn't foreclose being in the bottom. I guess the judges thought her look was bad (indeed! LOL) but not as bad as the bottom three - and I would have to agree, https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-17/season-17/blogs/runway-recap-episode-9

And it gave them a chance to chastise Tessa.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Yes, but I think the bottom three were worse than her Rock and Roll Rooster. I also think R&R Rooster was a great idea, she just needed to execute it better - use real feathers, not fabric cut to look like feathers, for starters. I mean, Elton once did a concert in a Donald Duck costume. A rooster could be great for him if done well.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Beaner said:

It's strange to me to bring back the eliminated designers to "help." They were gone because they weren't very good. It seemed for this challenge they were in the way more often than not. And they need to stop with the way they're letting designers choose who they get or which model they get, etc. It's juvenile; this is a professional design competition, not elementary school recess.

I wonder if with these types of shows where there are two parts to filming and there is a gap of several weeks in between (in this case, this is the part that comprises the weeks prior to Fashion Week), in order to prevent spoilers the eliminated contestants just stick around, but in other nearby locations?  They're just sitting around and the producers give them something to do for an episode?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Beaner said:

they need to stop with the way they're letting designers choose who they get or which model they get, etc. It's juvenile; this is a professional design competition, not elementary school recess.

Yes, I dislike this as well. There's nothing good that can come from this "pick your favorite" mini-contest. Why not just pair people base on who is drawn from the button box, both designer and "helper."

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Yes, but I think the bottom three were worse than her Rock and Roll Rooster. I also think R&R Rooster was a great idea, she just needed to execute it better - use real feathers, not fabric cut to look like feathers, for starters. I mean, Elton once did a concert in a Donald Duck costume. A rooster could be great for him if done well.

DONALD, not Daffy!  My bad!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

Good episode. The top looks were great.

I did laugh when Christian said that the designers could say "I'm still standing," and there were blank looks from a couple of the designers.

I feel old.

I laughed out loud at that, as well.  (and, I feel old, too-hell, to these designers, I AM old!)

What was strange, though, is that I think Christian is close in age, or just slightly older than some of the designers giving him the perplexed look, so I think he was probably wondering why his joke fell flat.

• LOL 2
  • Love 21
11 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

And it gave them a chance to chastise Tessa.

I could get in contact with my former junior high school Home Ec teacher from 25-odd years ago and ask if unfinished hems would have gotten me a failing grade in the sewing portion of the proceedings.  I bet she would say yes.

• Love 13

Venny has been in the bottom several times now and he keeps getting chance after chance. As far as I can remember, Lela was never in the bottom before now. Shouldn’t she too have been given the same second chance that others have gotten? Her outfit wasn’t good, but I thought Venny’s was equally as ill-fitting. I think Venny should have been out because he’s been given chances to improve and he has not done so. 

Ugh, Sonia was so salty. It’s obvious she hasn’t gotten over her elimination yet and viewed this challenge as some sort of chance at redemption. She should have realized she’s there to assist only. 

All the overt ogling over the male models felt a bit icky. We wouldn’t want the female models to be treated that way. 

I’m happy for Garo winning this challenge even though I loved Bishme’s outfit as well. I can see Garo continuing to make lots of money creating performance outfits for singers. 

• Like 1
  • Love 22
(edited)

How dare they criticize Lela's chap-pants when they drooled all over the pasties and the butt-cheek bathing suit.

Edited to add:  I really like Venny but he's had a LOT of chances.  I think the reason he survived is that he's better tv than Lela.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Like 1
  • Love 23