Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E09: The Stitch Is Back

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

But it's so functional! If you happen to decide to go camping at the last minute, you already have a sleeping bag with you!

And didn't he make something not so "puffy sleeping bag" during the camping challenge??  I'll have to go back and look at the pictures.  I might be thinking of the Dapper Dan challenge, because I thought he'd make a puffy coat for that.

11 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

Late to the party, but when Christian said : "still standing", I said : "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! "

#IamOldToo

I'm young enough to be Elton John's grandchild and even I got it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

This episode made me so happy except for Sonia's behavior. I love how much fun they had with it, and Bishme's was amazing. Garo's, too, but I agree with others who said his was less specifically Elton than Bishme's. Still, I loved it. Good for them! 

I am uncharacteristically worked up over how Sonia almost ruined Garo's win. She's in a creative field where people often have to work together. You help, but it's still the other person's creation. I'm a writer. The ending of my most widely-read essay was a friend's (I wrote it and she found it buried in a paragraph and said, "This is your ending.") I've edited and written parts of that friend's book and though it's nice that I'm mentioned in the acknowledgements, along like a bunch of other people, I didn't even expect that. We do this all the time. You help each other and enjoy having a community. And Garo specifically mentioned that she did the draping, which she said he didn't. Ugh, so sour. 

• Love 4
On 5/10/2019 at 9:31 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:
On 5/9/2019 at 10:22 PM, mightysparrow said:

Is it okay to sexually harass the male models?

Did they?   Correct me because I don't remember someone doing it?

Amen! When did sexual innuendo become sexual harassment? Aren't they all adults? Everything in the Fashion Industry is all about looks. Men have not been historically exploited in the fashion industry, they run most of it.

• Love 3
On 5/11/2019 at 7:13 PM, mightysparrow said:

On several occasions the male models were discussed as if they were objects.  It doesn't matter that they weren't in the room.  Having those conversations broadcast all over the world could be very humiliating to the person being discussed. 

Christian walked out of the workroom once saying "Get to work bitches!" Are there going to be protests and sponsors running for the hills? OR are jokes and irony still alive in the 21st century?

• Love 2
(edited)

One of my problems with this episode is that none of the male models were curvy/plus sized.  The thing about Elton John was that even back in the seventies he was short, plump, and balding. Plus he played the iconic nerd instrument, the piano, as opposed to the phallic guitar.  In no way did he look like anyone's idea of a rock star. It was BALLSY to wear outrageous outfits of the kind he wore, when he didn't look like David Bowie or David Johanssen or Marc Bolan, or Robert Plant.  REALLY ballsy. 

And for so many he was an icon of going out and looking exactly the way you fantasized about, no matter what anybody thought about your face and form.  Part of the really liberatory social aspect of the 1970's.

ETA: jeez, how could I forget!!??!  GLASSES!! he wore GLASSES on top of all the rest of that!  And he made the glasses stylish too.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 5/21/2019 at 4:01 AM, ratgirlagogo said:

Plus he played the iconic nerd instrument, the piano, as opposed to the phallic guitar.  In no way did he look like anyone's idea of a rock star. It was BALLSY to wear outrageous outfits of the kind he wore, when he didn't look like David Bowie or David Johanssen

Before Bowie or the New York Dolls , at least Elton had Liberace! Master showman and a piano player! Nothing we saw in this challenge reached the heights of excess of Liberace; even the piano was dolled up. And neither of them were "out" in the seventies, bwah-ha-ha.

• Love 2

I thought that I'd commented on this episode, but I guess I didn't... Hmmm.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:40 PM, meowmommy said:

In general, I vastly prefer early Elton John (some great tracks are on Madman Across the Water, including the title track) to later EJ.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:17 PM, carrps said:

Now, that's the one Elton John (Kiki Dee) song that I can't stand.

I think my two favorite EJ albums are Madman Across the Water and Honky Chateau. I'm really old.

So agree on "Don't Go Breaking My Heart." Not even Miss Piggy in all her glory stepping in for KiKi Dee could save that song for me.

Weirdly I love early Elton John and later Elton John, but much less so the stuff in the middle... in other words 70's Elton and 90s on Elton, but not 80s Elton. Favorites: "Mona Lisa's and Mad Hatters" (agree with @chitowngirl on that one), "Levon," and "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" from the early years, and "Made in England," "Something About the Way..." and especially "This Train Don't Stop There Anymore" from the later years.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:29 PM, mightysparrow said:

Hester is in this to promote HESTER.  She probably spends more time putting her outfits together than she does actually designing.  I don't believe for a second that she's ever designed anything that someone actually wore.  Hester's going to try and turn her time on this show into her own show or, more likely, YouTube success.

Yes, she doesn't seem to appreciate being on the show as much as many of the other contestants do.

On 5/11/2019 at 12:00 AM, DaphneCat said:

I really think that was her rather clumsy way of acknowledging that the whole thing was an epic fail.  She had a vision and completely f'ed it up.  She even admitted it was a good thing she had immunity as it was the worst thing on the runway.  I'm not really a fan of her style but I much prefer it if a designer can just admit everything went wrong rather than trying to defend some atrocity.

I didn't have a problem with that. I didn't find her acknowledging things messed up as annoying, more honest and fine, but - and this is a BIG BUT ... Hester also seemed to be blaming that fail on the guy helping her.

I didn't understand why Hester kept harping that she couldn't design any of the rest of her outfit - like the shirt underneath (?) - until she got the jacket from her helper (I'm sorry I forgot his name, and I feel badly, because he's a person, but I'm awful with people's names - it's a thing). Why not? It's her own damn design! Shouldn't she at least have an idea what her entire outfit is going to look like from the get go, right?

I could see it if it was a collaboration and she didn't know what the jacket would look like, but it was her design so she should have known what it was going to look like and be able to do the rest of the outfit anyway. That bugged the crap out of me! Hester sat around, complaining she couldn't do anything and couldn't take advantage of the model fitting, and I was talking to her through the television - I know, I know delusional and crazy, but Hester does that to me - "why not? Doesn't your model have to wear pants? Couldn't he be trying those on or you making those? What about the shirt? Stop sitting around on your ass complaining about your helper and actually make something your damn self!"

So I didn't mind that Hester acknowledged that her design messed up and made a joke out of it. I minded that throughout the show and talking heads she seemed to be making sure that the blame for the messing up wasn't on her but on her helper. "I wish I could do more on this design, but I just can't possibly do anything until I get that jacket. Poor, poor me, all ready to make something so awesome and it's just out of my control that I can't, because my helper is slow and handicapping me."

Me: Wrong! It's your own damn fault that you're not using your time to make something.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I didn't have a problem with that. I didn't find her acknowledging things messed up as annoying, more honest and fine, but - and this is a BIG BUT ... Hester also seemed to be blaming that fail on the guy helping her.

I didn't understand why Hester kept harping that she couldn't design any of the rest of her outfit - like the shirt underneath (?) - until she got the jacket from her helper (I'm sorry I forgot his name, and I feel badly, because he's a person, but I'm awful with people's names - it's a thing).

Kovid.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Thank you!

And yeah, Hester not being able to realize her vision was not Kovid's fault, no matter how Hester tried to hint that it was.

Ha, I should have added that I agree with every word that you said!

On 5/10/2019 at 11:45 AM, Deskisamess said:

Loved this episode. I saw Elton John in 1976 with my then boyfriend (now husband) He put on a fabulous show. This was during the "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" time period.

Can't wait to see Rocketman. 

Glad Garo won, I'm rooting for him all the way.

I miss Tim. I don't dislike  Christian, but find him weak as water and boring in this role.

Me too - 1976 in Vancouver, with my boyfriend now husband.  I think Kiki Dee opened for him - and they sang ‘don’t go breakin’ my heart’.  We just saw him for the second time in Vienna - my 60th birthday trip! 

• Love 1