Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

With Joe and a guest as the norm now, how many questions do you guys think I should aim for for GameTime submission?

Roughly I'd say 40-60 if it's a straight up trivia kind of thing.

Somehow, now I want to go to Hawaii where I never really did before?

\o/

• Love 1

I'm going to go off the board a little bit with Black Sheep Squadron. I would watch the hell ouf of a show about a bunch of rowdy, misfit lady pilots in World War II.

That's an awesome suggestion. The sexist title is: Bombshells.

• Love 3

Wouldn't a female version of brothers hunting demons as part of a family legacy be Charmed? Not perhaps the most encouraging prospects for a revamp (though I guess it did run to 500 seasons, so maybe not so bad, financially at least).

If I was going for an alternative VO in Veronica Mars, I'd vote for Celeste Kane. I'd love to know what she was really thinking since all we get from Veronica is "Celeste - what a bitch" (which on at least one occasion actually hinders her cracking the case). Or failing that, Kendall Casablancas. Or even one of the two Big Bads

Aaron Echolls or Cassidy "Beaver" Casablancas

Edited by John Potts

Hrm... What would the subreddit about Supergirl, happening in the Supergirl universe, look like?

10% - "Let's use our collective intelligence to find out who this amazing superhuman is!"

20% - "Let's find out who this is so we can doxx her. It's about ethics in game journalism!"

20% - Jokes about how fast she can "make me a sammich"

50% - Supergirl upskirt photos (eventually breaks off into its own subreddit).

• Love 1

A clarification on the Kara Danvers thing: there is a point in Supergirl comics from the '80s (maybe? Or the '70s) where Supergirl is not Kara Zor-El, but is a human (I think) named Linda Danvers. I'm not nearly as conversant in Supergirl history as I am in Superman, so other people might be able to explain that better, but that's what the reference is, and it has nothing to do with Captain Marvel.

The only thing I could say against that episode of Drunk History is that personally, if I'm showing the series to someone for the first time, I'm probably going to use a Jen Kirkman episode. Or possibly Mark Gagliardi or Paget Brewster. I like a narrator who gets really, genuinely falling-down drunk. But this episode was really great on the re-enactor side.

• Love 2

Only just past Face-Off in the ep, but I had to come here and say that when you said "Too Many Danvers!" all I could think was "You can never have enough Danvers" because I am a Homicide: Life of the Street freak. That's the Zeljko Ivanek origin story for me - so good.

• Love 1

Great choice on Drunk History. If I'm introducing new viewers I usually start with Detroit. Paget Brewster narrating the story of the Kellogg brothers with amazing work from Luke and Owen Wilson PLUS she gets Derek into her grandmother's Halston; and then Tommy Blacha narrates the Ralph Nader segment with Jason Schwartzman acting. Though if I only get one sketch (vs one episode) to show someone, Jenny Slate's narration on the Coca Cola story (with Bill Hader as John Pemberton) is right up there.

Now I just want to watch Drunk History all day. Curse you, EHG!

• Love 1

I enjoyed the first season of The Librarians. Nothing special, really, but it sort of scratched my Leverage itch.

It's also far better than the TV movies it's based on, which is not a difficult task.

Same. I have to catch up on the first season on Hulu, but I definitely enjoyed it. It's really just a fun ride.

A clarification on the Kara Danvers thing: there is a point in Supergirl comics from the '80s (maybe? Or the '70s) where Supergirl is not Kara Zor-El, but is a human (I think) named Linda Danvers. I'm not nearly as conversant in Supergirl history as I am in Superman, so other people might be able to explain that better, but that's what the reference is, and it has nothing to do with Captain Marvel.

When Supergirl was introduced in the 1950s she was given the secret identity "Linda Lee" and lived in an orphanage, with Kara Zor-El as her Kryptonian name. A few years later she was adopted by the Danvers and became "Linda Danvers", which was the most common secret identity for her through various incarnations (Supergirl history gets really screwy starting in the mid-1980s, until then she's Superman's cousin. Trying to explain anything after that is just asking for a headache). This is long before Carol Danvers (originally Ms. Marvel, now Captain Marvel) was introduced. I always wondered if it was intentional that "Carol Danvers" was like a mix of Supergirl's Kryptonian and human names or just a coincidence, especially after the main artist of Supergirl in the 1960s became the main artist of Ms. Marvel in the 1970s.

The only thing I could say against that episode of Drunk History is that personally, if I'm showing the series to someone for the first time, I'm probably going to use a Jen Kirkman episode. Or possibly Mark Gagliardi or Paget Brewster. I like a narrator who gets really, genuinely falling-down drunk. But this episode was really great on the re-enactor side.

Agree. Jen Kirkman is my favorite narrator. Her Frederick Douglass story (from the web series) is always my go-to for introducing people to the concept of Drunk History.

• Love 1

Jeff's death on Nashville was surprising but also kind of made me crack up. Like, I wanted them to just embrace the cheese and go full banana peel over the roof. The character of Juliette will have a hard time coming back from this season and some of last season.

I have to say Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is my favorite show of the fall so far (followed by Supergirl, Scream Queens and Ash vs. Evil Dead). The ads did nothing for me but it is just really weird and entertaining. Rebecca about her mother: "She's like a stalker I used to live inside of."

The audio issues made game time kind of weird but I could follow it.

I haven't seen iZombie, but wouldn't eradicating zombies be like culling animal herds to prevent rabies? Obviously, there's the whole "But these are people!" (or not) angle, but it would depend on how much a zombie is still a person (which I presume is a theme of the show).

Unless I (or Dave) screwed up, there were no duplicate states. Though I have to admit to submitting a few characters purely to see how Dave would mangle the pronunciation (like Khan Souphanousinphone from "King of the Hill" - from

Laos

, if you're playing at home). And the world of "Game of Thrones" is refered to as "Planetos" because the Western continent is called "Westeros", the Eastern continent "Essos" and the Southern one "Southyros" - Planetos is just an extension of GRRM's unimaginative naming

The weird thing about Dave saying the new Star Trek series would appear in 2007 was when he said he was running my quiz "In 93" I thought - "What, 22 years in the past? Or did he mean 9/3 (either 9th March or 3rd September) which would be a few months back?" It took me a while to realise this episode is EHG 93.

David T Cole You had the 3rd Rock/Ohio question in twice

OK, my bad. Shame, because I had other states (Wikipedia has a page for "Shows set in each state", so that part was easy).

So werent the local recordings just out of sync? I mean I dont really know how the show is stitched together but it seemed like Hawaii was just a few seconds ahead of the rest, no? Hence the faint "echo" which was actually in correct time.

Anywho thanks for creating a new version.

Edited by David Thomas

I really want to know what the Australian Gilmore Girls shows were supposed to be, because I literally can't think of any that seem close enough.

This week's addition to my vocabulary: "Whatshisnuts".

I loved the Belgium callback.

I'm so glad you all agree that iZombie is great this season. I liked it last season too, but it was a sort of slow build, and really kicked into appointment TV for me in the last three episodes or so. I'm so impressed at how they made me fall for characters like Peyton and Major when I found them totally lifeless (haha) in the beginning.

Also, yeah, Ravi is the real dreamboat in the cast.

tumblr_np0xuu4WCc1qar55xo1_500.gif

tumblr_np0xuu4WCc1qar55xo2_500.gif

tumblr_np0xuu4WCc1qar55xo4_500.gif

I enjoyed all the ones the panel presented. Roam sounded like it might actually be marketable and the tag was almost Charlie-esque, says an old person who loved the Charlie ads. Ad houses, with their love of using songs already written, would probably try for REM or Fats Domino ( for "I'm Walkin'").

I was thinking Sleepy Hollow's first scent might be  Revolutionary! With notes of leather, moss, cotton, black powder and tea," any man can be...Revolutionary!"

Edited by Actionmage