Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Thanks! In fairness, I should add that you're on your own for figuring out some of the season two games where every player was given a different character to play, with each character having a completely different set of rules to determine whether they win or lose. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I think the same fan that is doing the subtitling did a reference guide to the roles for the second, office-themed game in the seond season. You might be able to find it if you tumble around the Internet somewhere.

I posted a while ago about The Genius and other South Korean reality shows I watch in the International Programs thread here. And got very excited when I found out the third season had stared. It's really good so far.

I even thought that the Jury game from the second episode of this season might be a good game to play on these forums. It has Mafia-like tones, with zn informed minority and uninformed majority, but no elimination mechanism, so all players can participate the entire game.

Survivor lost me when I realized that these women who were supposedly dumped in the wilderness with no resources all of a sudden had shaved armpits and legs. I guess the hairy pits from season one didn't test well.

I heard somewhere (probably Rob Cesternino's podcast) that the castaways get feminine hygiene products, sunblock and condoms, so I wouldn't be surprised if the ladies got razors. Even if they got waxed before they left, there would still be some...unsightly growth during taping.

As far as product placement and clearances, I can tell you that to get a brand name cleared can take a bit of back and forth and contractual discussions. Sometimes, a TV series just doesn't have the time to get a name cleared and that's when they go with the fake brand names. Sometimes, it is a financial issue. Sometimes, the brand doesn't want to be associated with the series or the product may be used incorrectly.

• Love 2

Sgt. Muldoon of the Costume Division reporting:

Every police detective on TV wears a black trench coat. Day or night. Winter or Summer. Rain or shine. Black trench coat.

And when they stand at a crime scene in the rain? No hat. Never a hat. Not even a Fedora, which goes with a trench coat like fries go with a burger.

• Love 1

Bwah! Just last night I watched the episode of Columbo where his wife had given him a brand new black trench coat. He couldn't stand it. He kept trying to "lose" it but his sidekick kept finding it. So funny. I love it that MeTV is rerunning Columbo.

• Love 2

I am baffled and enraged by the way they waste bullets on The Walking Dead. You just risked your life to sneak into a zombie-infested city to find those bullets, dummy! And shooting THESE zombies just means that even MORE zombies will be here in a minute. It's not a sustainable plan at all.

• Love 3

The bullet thing on The Walking Dead really bugs me. What's the first thing people would steal and hoard when the hurt comes down? Bullets. You aren't going to find them around. And bullets have a shelf life. Especially shotgun shells. Especially in the wet heat of Georgia.

And that silenced pistol Rick used really annoyed. A "silenced"automatic is as loud as a firecracker.

• Love 1

Gonna be a little risque here, so be warned...

But that episode with Fitz's daughter's sex tape on Scandal caused quite the discussion in my household. Specifically, we were talking about the usage of "Eiffel Tower" versus the more commonly used "wobbly H." The difference between the two is that the "Eiffel" implies that there is kissing sexual contact between the two male participants, versus the lack of male on male contact in the "wobbly H."

This took us on a number of tangents. First, do you think Shonda (or her writers) knew the difference when they chose their specific term? Second, since tv standards and practices are notoriously crappy about portrayals of gay or bisexual activities, do you think they knew what they were signing off on? And also a part of me was cringing during the conversation with the horrible parents, expecting that there would be some shaming involved with "in your greed over the President's daughter being involved, you seem to have forgotten... do you want some tape with your son kissing another guy leaked?" and then I was so happy that they didn't go there because there is nothing wrong with that. Anyway... I wasn't sure if they were being subversive in their choice of slang usage, or just unknowing in the implications. I think Shonda knew... my husband does not.

• Love 2

Very minor correction - John Cusack's character in Better Off Dead is Lane, not Lloyd. Lloyd is from Say Anything. The only reason I make this correction is that both of these were made during the period that I still loved John Cusack as he was at his most Cusackiest/was still making decent movies*. Nowadays, the Cus is like someone's ponchy dad, ruining ladyboners everywhere with his poor filmography and weird old man twitter account. Dear God, that man and his spelling!

Also, if you're talking about a slogan for Spike, it should be "The Face-Punching/Star Wars Channel!"

Anyway, keep up the good work, TV Cops! I appreciate you keeping our streets safe!

*This period extends to High Fidelity in 2000. Nothing after that was any good (and no, Serendipity, while sometimes a rainy Sunday afternoon time sink, is not an exception).

• Love 2

Oh! And Tara, the nonvasectomy plot was also an issue in the last season of Gilmore Girls where Jackson didn't get one after Davey and Martha were born and then Sookie got pregnant again. Again, this was presented in an "Oh Jackson!" sort of way and everyone just kind of let it go and Sookie resigned herself to being a mother again against her will which is such insane bullshit, it still makes me angry to think about.

Also, please note that I say this as someone who birthed a tiny human. I love my kid but I hated being pregnant and if my husband did that to me, I would be absolutely furious/leave his body in a swamp.

• Love 3

Oh! And Tara, the nonvasectomy plot was also an issue in the last season of Gilmore Girls where Jackson didn't get one after Davey and Martha were born and then Sookie got pregnant again. Again, this was presented in an "Oh Jackson!" sort of way and everyone just kind of let it go and Sookie resigned herself to being a mother again against her will which is such insane bullshit, it still makes me angry to think about.

Also, please note that I say this as someone who birthed a tiny human. I love my kid but I hated being pregnant and if my husband did that to me, I would be absolutely furious/leave his body in a swamp.

Not that I want to defend the practice in general, but in the specific case of Gilmore Girls, that became a plot point because Melissa McCarthy was pregnant. Since Jackson "had" the vasectomy after their second child was born, and MM became pregnant well after that, they were kind of in a hole as to how to explain it. Probably they could have come up with something a little less invasive, but they went the most expedient route.

re: brands on TV, I think there is a difference between what they can say and what they can show. I remember on Veronica Mars, they would say "google" and then show a fake search engine (Planet Zowie?). But that was 10 years ago, so who knows.

Since Jackson "had" the vasectomy after their second child was born, and MM became pregnant well after that, they were kind of in a hole as to how to explain it. Probably they could have come up with something a little less invasive, but they went the most expedient route.

I can't imagine why they didn't just make the plot point that the vasectomy failed. It's rare, but it's been known to happen. And it makes for a great story!

• Love 3

I never got tired of ordering a beer when I was working in rural Spain.  Most of the bars only had one beer, on tap, and the only choice you had was whether you wanted a big one or a little one.  In Kansas City, you can't quite order just "a beer," but the Boulevard Brewery is such a ubiquitous presence that you can pretty much just order a variety ("I'd like a pale ale"), and BLVD is what you get.

Wilkin: "I was always under the impression that an Eiffel Tower involved a high-five, not kissing."

Oh. Maybe the meaning has changed a bit since I was in college...? it had a different connotation back in the 90s (my husband is roughly my age and his impression was similar to mine). Now I feel old. And dumb for putting my aged understanding of sex-slang onto my impression of this Scandal episode.

• Love 1
In Kansas City, you can't quite order just "a beer," but the Boulevard Brewery is such a ubiquitous presence that you can pretty much just order a variety ("I'd like a pale ale"), and BLVD is what you get.

It sort of works this way in at least some parts of PA.  Order a lager and you get Yuengling.  I haven't spent enough time in PA to know how big a region this applies to, but my sister used to live in Wilkes-Barre and from talking to her and hanging out with her and her friends there I know that at least in and around Wilkes-Barre that's the way to order a Yuengling in a bar.  I honestly don't know that I ever heard anyone order it by name.  It was always just "lager".

Sgt. StatMom would like to issue a citation for egregiously empty cups. The actors sling around these allegedly full piping hot cups of coffee, then tilt them full force all devil-may-care down their throats. Can't props at least put some water in there so they have the proper heft and the actors can maybe remember what drinking is supposed to look like?

• Love 1

It sort of works this way in at least some parts of PA.  Order a lager and you get Yuengling.  I haven't spent enough time in PA to know how big a region this applies to, but my sister used to live in Wilkes-Barre and from talking to her and hanging out with her and her friends there I know that at least in and around Wilkes-Barre that's the way to order a Yuengling in a bar.  I honestly don't know that I ever heard anyone order it by name.  It was always just "lager".

That was going to be my comment! It only makes sense in eastern PA if someone says "lager."

I was going to mention the Gilmore Girls too, which showed really crappy sexual ethics on both sides. OK, Sookie doesn't want another kid, but I'm pretty sure signing your husband up for a vasectomy without his consent is assault of some kind. Jackson then made that worse by pretending he'd gone through with it when he hadn't. I get that "Real life wrote the plot" there (and that people in Stars Hollow are "quirky") but surely any real world husband would say something like, "I get that you don't want any more kids, but can we perhaps wait to discuss this and not decide immediately after you've squeezed another human out your ve-jay-jay!"

Gonna be a little risque here, so be warned...

But that episode with Fitz's daughter's sex tape on Scandal caused quite the discussion in my household. Specifically, we were talking about the usage of "Eiffel Tower" versus the more commonly used "wobbly H." The difference between the two is that the "Eiffel" implies that there is kissing sexual contact between the two male participants, versus the lack of male on male contact in the "wobbly H."

This took us on a number of tangents. First, do you think Shonda (or her writers) knew the difference when they chose their specific term? Second, since tv standards and practices are notoriously crappy about portrayals of gay or bisexual activities, do you think they knew what they were signing off on? And also a part of me was cringing during the conversation with the horrible parents, expecting that there would be some shaming involved with "in your greed over the President's daughter being involved, you seem to have forgotten... do you want some tape with your son kissing another guy leaked?" and then I was so happy that they didn't go there because there is nothing wrong with that. Anyway... I wasn't sure if they were being subversive in their choice of slang usage, or just unknowing in the implications. I think Shonda knew... my husband does not.

1) I also thought that it just involved the guys high fiving.

2) Considering the same-sex hook-ups that they've been actually showing on How To Get Away With Murder, I don't see how they wouldn't be in the clear to just mention the name of an act that involves same-sex kissing on Scandal.

I loved this EHG! When I read the description I thought it was going to be a taxonomy of TV cops, of sorts. This was so much better!!

I thought the same thing and was much happier with what it turned out to actually be.

I don't know, TV Cop-Cops could be kind of fun? Perhaps TV Lawyer-Cops as a follow up?

• Love 1

I can't imagine why they didn't just make the plot point that the vasectomy failed. It's rare, but it's been known to happen. And it makes for a great story!

Exactly! I know people who have been in that situation with "whoops!" vasectomy babies. Also, I do agree that it was wrong for Sookie to force Jackson off to have a medical procedure without talking to him about it beforehand. If their relationship was supposed to be one of the healthier ones on the show, why couldn't we have seen them have a conversation about family planning? 

• Love 1