Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Favorite sketch: "Next Week In Review" from the Steve Martin/Blues Brothers show in 1978. Not only does Steve Martin get an epic punch line to set up, but his character's name is "Cocuwa", which he claims is Hawaiian for "To help without compensation", actually a description for the word "kokua". So he gets a laugh for an accurate Hawaiian word definition!

Sorry if this is lazy of me to ask, but is there a list somewhere of the crime shows mentioned in the podcast?  Especially the "people should watch these" list - I was listening in the car and couldn't write them down. I can relisten if it's a pain to compile, but wasn't sure if the list already existed somewhere that I was missing?

Edited by Violet Penner
  • Love 2

High Maintenance is so great! It's on my list of shows to pitch at Thanksgiving, so as to avoid political talk.  Anyway, I liked that episode (and the one with the day rave maybe?) more than the one about the dog that everyone was raving about. 

Also some of those haiku were a mess! Hilarious. 

I'm really late in coming back to say thank you to everyone for helping fill us in on the whole Sorkin/forum thing. I had heard it referenced on other podcasts and in comments in other places. I'm pretty sure it was actually Kevin T. Porter on his Gilmore Girls podcast. The West Wing isn't quite as bad as some of his other shows which I think the actresses, particularly Allison Janney, deserve credit for pushing their characters more out of the look-at-me-I'm-a-girl-and-great-at-my-job-but-absolutely-everything-else-in-my-life-I'm-a-disaster-at box he likes to use to box in female characters. I think The Newsroom is actually the worst. The ego it takes to get so upset to fight with people in the forums is mind boggling.

4 hours ago, Violet Penner said:

Sorry if this is lazy of me to ask, but is there a list somewhere of the crime shows mentioned in the podcast?  Especially the "people should watch these" list - I was listening in the car and couldn't write them down. I can relisten if it's a pain to compile, but wasn't sure if the list already existed somewhere that I was missing?

Here's the show list (for the whole episode):

• 48 Hrs
  • 60 Days In
  • AHS Roanoke
  • Almost Human
  • Angie Tribeca
  • Animal Kingdom
  • Barney Miller
  • Blackish
  • Bletchley Circle
  • Blind Justice
  • Broadchurch
  • Bron
  • Brooklyn 99
  • Campus PD
  • Celebrity Apprentice
  • Chance
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
  • Empire
  • Epitafios
  • Forensic Files
  • Happy Valley
  • Here's the show list (for the whole episode):
  • High Maintenance
  • Killing Season
  • Law & Order
  • Law & Order SVU
  • Luther
  • Making A Murderer
  • Paradise Lost
  • Police Squad
  • Rectify
  • Shield
  • Spenser for Hire
  • State of Play
  • Sweet/Vicious
  • The Jinx
  • The Shift
  • The Wire
  • Top Of The Lake
  • Whitechapel
  • World's Wildest Police Videos
  • Love 4

Agree with Sarah about Manic Pixie Dream Chloe.  I haven't watched last night's episode yet, so maybe she gets more tolerable?  I'm very disappointed that the showrunners thought they needed a character like that but, as Sarah said, I want to/will trust them.

Thanks for mentioning The Shift. I hadn't heard of it before, but definitely want to check it out as I used to live in Indianapolis.

Totally agree about La Croix. My coworkers at my last job were obsessed with it, and I cannot figure out why. Also, they always called it "fizzy water". Ugh...

Edited by April Bloodgate

@Sarah D. Bunting- loved your Apprentice apology letter. I actually listened to it four times! "Commander in Cheeto" had me cracking up, I've heard/read many an orange or shade of orange thrown at he who shall not be named, but that was a new one for me.

I am one episode behind with Rectify... but oh crap, there's more Chloe coming to this last season? Don't like when they add new characters in final seasons. *coughPotentialsBuffycough*

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Valny said:

@Sarah D. Bunting- loved your Apprentice apology letter. I actually listened to it four times! "Commander in Cheeto" had me cracking up, I've heard/read many an orange or shade of orange thrown at he who shall not be named, but that was a new one for me.

Agreed!  It was fabulous and "Commander in Cheeto" made me snort.

• Love 1

Thanks for the information about Peter Thomas. I'm not much into true crime shows; but, I find Forensic Files weirdly soothing which I greatly attribute to Mr. Thomas. We always get a little tickled in our house when he conveys so much drama in the theory of the crime.

LaCroix is gross. I'm always drinking club soda, seltzer water, Perrier, or San Pelligrino. One of my coworkers excitedly brought me a can of the mango. It had a wretched chemical flavor. Just get non flavored and add a piece of fruit.

@Sarah D. Bunting thanks for the recommendation for Killer Legends! I'm watching now and the Candyman part is literally hitting close to home because if I were to frame by frame the archival news footage of the part where they're outside the prison I'm pretty sure I'd see my dad there protesting! 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

Thanks for the love, everyone! @Lisin, that is a weird connection. People's ties to true crimes are fascinating to me (I'm not saying my dad referred to his schoolmate John DuPont as "that nutter" one time? But I'm not saying he didn't, heh).

It's not even my only one... but my dad being a pretty active anti-death penalty activist means he pops up in the most random places and often forgets to mention "hey, I'm going to be on NatGeo tonight" or whatever. Once a friend texted me that he was a character in a novel she was reading. (Black Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin) and even he didn't know about that one. 

• Love 1

Let's jump forward in Veep. Then we can find out what Selina's been up to for three whole years, and it jumps forward so the next election is coming up faster.

Edited by Monty
  • Love 2

I'm with David. I think the helicopter dropping on Romano is pretty much the best thing ER ever did. It's just such a wonderful level of WTF stupidity.

Edited by helent
  • Love 1
On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:35 AM, helent said:

I think the helicopter dropping on Romano is pretty much the best thing ER ever did.

I view it as a sort of "Voodoo Helicopter*" - a vengeful patient stabbed an effigy of Romano with a toy helicopter blade. Ever after that, helicopters were his worst enemy.

* The term comes from Chuck "SF Debris" Sonnenburg's novelisation of Jaws: The Revenge, where the shark attacks were "explained" as the result of a voodoo curse on the family