Type keyword(s) to search

Best TV Fight Scenes: Ass-Kicking 102

This is the thread for the Best TV Fight Scenes, in which you may post all of your favorite ass-kicking moments, such as the brawl between Brienne and the Hound on the S4 finale of Game Of Thrones, which involved swords, rocks, kicking, biting, bone-breaking and bleeding-and I loved every moment of it.

• Love 2

I need to add the season 2 opener (and also repeated in the middle of the season finale) of Hannibal.  The fight between Jack and Hannibal was intense and real and went on much longer than you'd think.  Edge of your seat stuff there.  No shaky cams, no quick cuts, just brutal fighting with brute force. The image of Hannibal repeatedly throwing himself at the door is just unreal (this makes sense if you've seen the scene) and shows how brutal he really is.  I'd find a clip and link it here, but I'm at work.

• Love 3

Too funny, my two favorite fight scenes are the first two posts in this thread. I don't think I've ever seen anything better than Brienne and the Hound. I would not want to see those poor actors after shooting that!

Continuum has really great fight scenes. I don't know who their stunt coordinator is but he manages to pull off some spectacular stuff for a show that hasn't got anywhere near the budget of a show like, say, Game of Thrones. The fight to the death between Kiera and Travis in the season 2 finale was one of its best.

Also, Banshee has some great stuff as well. Ana and Olek, holy crap, it was unbelievable. Ana barely won that.

(edited)

Speaking of Banshee, another great fight scene was between Sheriff Not Lucas Hood (NLH for short) and the mixed martial arts fighter who raped a woman and dared NLH to arrest him-which he did, but only after he kicked the shit out of him.

Another great brawl was between Sookie and Debbie in the "Night Of the Sun" episode of True Blood, which Sookie not only won, when she told Debbie "Get out of my house, bitch!" and shot at her, it was one of the few times I ever liked her.

Another epic True Blood fight was between Sam, Alcide and Marcus, the guy who killed Sam's brother Tommy, slept with Alcide's girlfriend Debbie and kidnapped his own daughter with Luna, who was Sam's girlfriend at the time. The only thing better than Sam's kicking Marcus' ass was Alcide's finishing him off and dumping Debbie.

Edited by DollEyes

Pretty near all of the fights on Hercules The Legendary Journeys should be on this list.

Even more so for the fact that Kevin Sorbo and Michael Hurst trained up and did most of the fight sequences themselves.

There's one especially good one (IMO) in Siege at Naxos between Iolaus (Michael Hurst) and Goth (Brian Thompson).

It's unusual because most of the fight scenes are brawls which cut between the main characters, but this is a one on one fight with only a few cuts away to reaction shots from the watching characters.  Iolaus is only about 5ft 7 and wiry, Goth is over 6ft tall and built like a tank, but Iolaus eventually wipes the floor with him.  And you can see that for pretty near all the fight, that's MH doing his own stunts.

(FYI, if you ever get a chance to see Michael Hurst doing his one man stage show 'No Holds Bard', grab it with both hands.  There is a seriously awesome fight sequence in that as well, and yes, it's a one man fight sequence...trust me, it makes sense when you see it!)

• Love 1

There were some great fight scenes in the Spartacus series, including Spartacus & Crixus Vs. Theokoles, aka "The Bringer Of Death," from Season 1, whose defeat  coincided with a huge rainstorm after a long drought and inspiring Spartacus' nickname, "The Bringer Of Rain";  Oenomeous, Crixus and other captured slaves vs other slaves including Gannicus, and other Roman soldiers, some of whom were Spartacus and his rebels in disguise, who rescued them and then with their help, proceeded to tear down the whole arena  in "Libertus" from Spartacus: Vengeance; "The Dead & The Dying," the penultimate episode of Spartacus: War Of the Damned, in which Sparty and his fellow rebels paid tribute to their fallen comrades by forcing the Roman soldiers they captured to either fight to the death or die where they stood and Spraty Vs. Crassus in the series finale, which was epic, from start to finish.

• Love 1

That's awesome, @ParadoxLost!

Is it still badass week around here? For fight scenes between just regular folks and not needing ninjitsu nonsense that is largely performed by the actual actors, I submit a couple from Supernatural.

01 x 06 Skin: Shifter Dean and Sam fight.

I couldn't find a clip of the one I wanted from Long Distance Call when Dean fights a guy that he thinks is a demon and they intercut it with Sam fighting the monster of the week--one of their best, IMO--so, I thought instead I would share this one--nobody gets his ass kicked by fairies like Dean Winchester (Sorry couldn't help myself).

Finally, for a show that has largely become very un-badass, they did manage to pull this one out in S9. Damn, I can't find a clip...Dean fights four or five demons while Cain sits by and shucks his corn (no, not like that).

I wish I could find the video, but the fight scene with Capt. Woodrow Call (Tommy Lee Jones) in Lonesome Dove is all kinds of awesome.  Actually, it wasn't much of a fight because Capt. Call just kicks the everlovin' shit out of an Army scout who makes the huge mistake of horse-whipping young Newt. 

• Love 1

The fight once dubbed the Best Girl Fight on TV EVER.  Season 2 finale of Alias.

I think it is the Season 2 behind the scenes dvd where they had a whole featurette on that fight. They talked about how they filmed it and how both actresses wanted to use stunt doubles as little as possible. I think that is what made the scene.

There were some great fight scenes in Buffy. 2 in particular (sorry for the terrible video quality):

The swordfight between Buffy and Angelus in Becoming Part 2 (Starts around 4.20):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXH3zS7vIE

By the same logic I never really liked that one. Sure it is dramatic and has lots of meaning, but at the same time, to me at least it seems badly shot, and most of it looks like it is the stunt doubles. And from what I remember Boreanaz's stunt double looks nothing like him.

For a great fight scene in an animated comedy show, I nominate the big Randy vs. Timmy fight scene in the South Park episode "Cripple Fight." It's a blow-by-blow recreation of the parking lot fight from They Live, but with canes and wheelchairs.

I think that the CW's Nikita as a whole generally had some of the best choreographed fight scenes on TV. IIRC, Maggie Q brought in some of her own people to help with the fights.

Can we also mention some of the worst fight scenes, or should that merit a separate thread? Because I can't get over how awful Teen Wolf's fight scenes are - with all the gratuitous slow motion, yuck - and it made me seriously LOL when Tyler Hoechlin said that he thought the show had the best fight scenes on television. You wish, pretty boy.

And I never real liked the fight scenes on Buffy. The choreography itself was okay, I guess, but Sarah Michelle Gellar couldn't throw a convincing punch to save her life, and that always took me out of the scenes. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2

I think that the CW's Nikita as a whole generally had some of the best choreographed fight scenes on TV. IIRC, Maggie Q brought in some of her own people to help with the fights.

I always enjoyed Nikita's fights. Also from CW: Arrow has some good stuff. I can't pull a particular fight from memory, but I know I'm always digging what I see.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes

I raise you Tara Reid with a powersaw hand.

Which was trumped by Finn's sawing a shark in half while on top of a fire truck and his killing another shark with the same chainsaw in mid-air.

One of the best recent fight scenes was in the "Test Of Strength" episode of American Horror Story: Freak Show, between Dell the "strong man" and Amazon Eve. Dell had snuck into AE's trailer to rape her, but not only did AE refuse, she kicked every part of Dell's ass.

• Love 1

One of the best recent fight scenes was in the "Test Of Strength" episode of American Horror Story: Freak Show, between Dell the "strong man" and Amazon Eve. Dell had snuck into AE's trailer to rape her, but not only did AE refuse, she kicked every part of Dell's ass.

Wasn't he actually sneaking in to kill her and obtain her body for the con man played by Dennis O'Hare? It was awesome to see Amazon Eve beat the crap out of him, in any event.

Also from CW: Arrow has some good stuff. I can't pull a particular fight from memory, but I know I'm always digging what I see.

Yeah, I think the most impressive thing about Arrow is how consistently they're able to deliver great fight scenes, rather than any one fight in particular. But if I were to have to pick, the first two that come to mind are Oliver's assault on the safehouse where Walter was being kept in Season 1, and his fight(s) against Slade that kept cutting between past and present in the Season 2 finale. I also remember being really impressed with one episode in Season 2 (I think it was the first Barry Allen episode) where Oliver fought the same guy three times in the same episode, and they managed to stage, choreograph, and film the fights so that they were all visually distinct and never felt repetitive.

Also, while I generally find the action on Agents of Shield to be pretty disappointing, May vs. May in "Face My Enemy" was awesome. Apparently that was the first (and so far only) episode that particular director did for the show, but they should really try to bring him back because that was easily the best fight the show has ever done.

This is the thread for the Best TV Fight Scenes, in which you may post all of your favorite ass-kicking moments, such as the brawl between Brienne and the Hound on the S4 finale of Game Of Thrones, which involved swords, rocks, kicking, biting, bone-breaking and bleeding-and I loved every moment of it.

This is my favourite Game of Thrones fight too. I love how it starts out all fancy swordfight and then just devolves into full on brawl. Vicious and brutal and desperate and awesome.

Edited by AshleyN

Continuum has really great fight scenes. I don't know who their stunt coordinator is but he manages to pull off some spectacular stuff for a show that hasn't got anywhere near the budget of a show like, say, Game of Thrones. The fight to the death between Kiera and Travis in the season 2 finale was one of its best.

Also, Banshee has some great stuff as well. Ana and Olek, holy crap, it was unbelievable. Ana barely won that.

I really loved the Kiera and Brad vs. the Freelancers fight in the penultimate episode of this last season, mostly because of its great use of pistol CQC techniques.  That was pretty badass.

Sidney Vs. Francie wasn't the best girl fight on TV ever. It was the BEST FIGHT on TV ever!

I respectfully disagree. I think that May Vs. Ward in the S1 finale of Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D and May vs. May from the current season prove otherwise, or at least give it a run for its money.

(edited)

Bumping it up to add the epic name-calling, hair-pulling and pearl-snatching catfight between Empire's rivals Cookie Lyon and Anika Calhoun in the season Finale, which reminded me of the battles between Krystle Carrington & Alexis Colby in their glory on Dynasty.

Edited by DollEyes

I don't know if this counts as "fight scenes," but watching Jim Rockford getting punched almost every week was somehow very satisfying.  (Why, I don't know, since he was such a likable character...)

Edited by Jipijapa

How about best TV promo fight scene for Superhero Fight Club.

Not only do we get the Arrow and Flash, but the baddies played by Torchwood's John Barrowman, Prison Break brothers Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell, Superman/Chuck's Brandon Routh,  among others.  As spy Daddy Victor Garber says "Oooh.  This should be good."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XE_jH2eQl4

Edited by ParadoxLost

The fight with the Russian gang at the end of the second episode of Daredevil was probably one of the most vicious, brutal, and realistic fights I've ever seen.

I am pretty sure Daredevil is going to own this category for awhile.

Others though:

Wentworth Season 2 into the night the fight between Frankie and Bea

Banshee also kind owns this category.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

From the aptly-named episode "Battle of the Bastards" of Game Of Thrones, Jon Snow giving Ramsey Bolton the ass-kicking he's so richly deserved for so long gave me life like my mama. 

• Love 5

Mannix: I'm almost through the first two seasons' worth on DVD (the second one ending in 1969), and so far, this 1967-75 Mike Connors CBS detective series has had behind-kicking scenes in spades. Mannix gets his behind kicked, and just as much, kicks behind (so basically, Mannix gives as good as he gets). 

On June 20, 2016 at 2:25 PM, DollEyes said:

From the aptly-named episode "Battle of the Bastards" of Game Of Thrones, Jon Snow giving Ramsey Bolton the ass-kicking he's so richly deserved for so long gave me life like my mama. 

I just wished it was longer. 

• Love 2