Type keyword(s) to search

Season 16 Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Jeff Buckley’s will always be the definitive version of “Hallelujah” for me, but Maelyn really did a beautiful job. 

me too and I like the song partially because it's been used effectively on shows like ER, which I know is silly but it has moved me then. The other most moving use of the song was on the Voice when Sandy Hook happened and they opened the show with the coaches and cast holding candles and pictures. . and it just gutted me.

On a happier note, I was very glad Maelyn won. She was clearly the best in my opinion. Gyth seemed to be there based on looks.

• Love 6

I wish that Andrew had taken second place as I thought he had an amazing Monday night.  I think that most of the finalists will have futures in the industry whether on a large scale or small scale.  In my opinion both Blake and John will "do right" by their finalists/winner.  And, as long as I'm spouting off my opinion throughout this post,  I would venture to say that Blake probably knew that the country fans would split their votes and that nobody on his team would be the winner of the show.  While he knew how to strategize with the new rules I would wager that he never expected to have 3 out of the 4 finalists.

• Love 5

I don’t think anyone can argue with Maelyn’s win; she sang so consistently well during her whole run. She sounded like a total professional up there with Sarah Mc. I liked Andrew the the best out of Blake’s team, and like others on here I found Gyth underwhelming. He did well with Hootie and the Blowfish, though. Darius Rucker’s voice sounds as strong as it did back in the day. 

I thought the skit about Kelly’s clubhouse and John’s song about getting blocked were cute.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, desertflower said:

I liked Andrew the the best out of Blake’s team, and like others on here I found Gyth underwhelming.

Me, too. I was hoping Andrew would finish second. His voice is more unique than Gyth's or Dexter's. I was never Gyth's big fan and he totally lost me after his pandering. Glad Maelyn won, though. 

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, JunebugWA said:

Me, too. I was hoping Andrew would finish second. His voice is more unique than Gyth's or Dexter's. I was never Gyth's big fan and he totally lost me after his pandering. Glad Maelyn won, though. 

I still haven't watched Monday or Tuesday shows.  I'm glad that Maelyn won.  I thought Gyth did well in his audition but he's been off pitch in some of his performances.  So I wish he didn't take second.  As I previously stated, I liked Dexter the best out of the country guys since he seemed the most professional/consistent out of the three.  However, I noticed that Andrew has really improved and I have been enjoying his performances too.  I thought Gyth should have placed fourth but knew that he was going to be either first or second based on FB comments.  So many people loved his God Bless the USA last week and were mad that Kelly and John dared to criticize him.  Glad he didn't win.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 4

Congratulations to Maelyn.  I think she's my favorite winner so far.  I can see me really enjoying her music in the future and so, I hope she is able to transition into the biz.  She has unique and quality vocals, which is sometimes a liability these days.  lol   Certainly, Legend sees her potential and will help direct her.  

• Love 5
On 5/21/2019 at 5:10 PM, ChristmasJones said:

The only time I hear the song Hallelujah is on singing shows... so I don't really hear it very often.  The only other person who sang it that sticks in my mind was Jeffrey Gutt on X Factor - he went on to join Stone Temple Pilots a few years after being on X Factor.

Singing starts at 2:15- 

I didn't know he became a member of STP.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, JeanneH said:

Well good, so happy with this decision. Congratulations Maelyn! I wish we could find out how much vote splitting came into play among the Blake/Country fandom. Surprised at Gyth coming in 2nd - I didn't think he was the best singer on Blake's team, not i recent times!

Dexter was way better than Gyth.

18 hours ago, JeanneH said:

Well good, so happy with this decision. Congratulations Maelyn! I wish we could find out how much vote splitting came into play among the Blake/Country fandom. Surprised at Gyth coming in 2nd - I didn't think he was the best singer on Blake's team, not i recent times!

I'm so happy that Maelyn won. I was so worried that Gyth was going to win.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Valny said:

Yep. I'm guessing it was his good looks that got him some of those votes.

I agree about Gyth.

9 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Congrats to Maelyn!  She was the favorite in my family since her blind audition (wasn't that the very first audition we saw this season?) so we were really thrilled for her.  And I love Sarah McLachlan.  That duet was SO good.

She has been my favorite all along to win. I'm happy she did!!

9 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Congrats to Maelyn!  She was the favorite in my family since her blind audition (wasn't that the very first audition we saw this season?) so we were really thrilled for her.  And I love Sarah McLachlan.  That duet was SO good.

I loved that duet too.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I still haven't watched Monday or Tuesday shows.  I'm glad that Maelyn won.  I thought Gyth did well in his audition but he's been off pitch in some of his performances.  So I wish he didn't take second.  As I previously stated, I liked Dexter the best out of the country guys since he seemed the most professional/consistent out of the three.  However, I noticed that Andrew has really improved and I have been enjoying his performances too.  I thought Gyth should have placed fourth but knew that he was going to be either first or second based on FB comments.  So many people loved his God Bless the USA last week and were mad that Kelly and John dared to criticize him.  Glad he didn't win.

I still think that Dexter was the best country guy too.

• Love 2

Hootie and the Blowfish were the best addition to The Voice ever thank you very much! I was surprised I didn't hate Halsey's song.  Maelynn's performance was awesome.  I even liked the Edge of Seventeen performance.  I thought Taylor Swift could try to make it look a little less lip syncy, but hey lol.  It was just too bubble gum poppy.  I don't understand the bts thing either, so there's that.  Carson got a little sassy. lmao

• Love 1
5 hours ago, kelslamu said:

Hootie and the Blowfish were the best addition to The Voice ever thank you very much! I was surprised I didn't hate Halsey's song.  Maelynn's performance was awesome.  I even liked the Edge of Seventeen performance.  I thought Taylor Swift could try to make it look a little less lip syncy, but hey lol.  It was just too bubble gum poppy.  I don't understand the bts thing either, so there's that.  Carson got a little sassy. lmao

Agree that Hootie and the Blowfish were awesome.  Having them and the other country celebrity artists showed how much better they are than the country contestants.  Andrew kept up the best.  Maelyn and Sarah have angelic voices and were great together. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, kelslamu said:

I saw Darius Rucker open for Brad Paisley and he was the best part of the concert. I could’ve gone home after Darius played (and before Brad took the stage) and it would’ve been fine with me. He’s THAT damn good! 

I don’t get the BTS thing either.  I have seen them perform on at least three other TV programs and I don’t know what it is about that group, but between not being able to understanding the lyrics to not being able to identify/keep up with the melody of at least one song, I guess my age is showing! 

I’m curious: when was Carson sassy? I love him and give him all of the passes in the world to be sassy, but I’m bummed I missed it. 

Am I the only one who thinks Adam is an even bigger asshole now more than ever? He was the only coach who didn’t stand up and cheer for Maelyn when she won, despite his glowing accolades for her on Monday’s show. I just don’t understand him.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Agree that Hootie and the Blowfish were awesome.  Having them and the other country celebrity artists showed how much better they are than the country contestants.  Andrew kept up the best.  Maelyn and Sarah have angelic voices and were great together. 

There was an article in my local paper about the finale. I was surprised to learn how young the finalists were. Andrew is only 22 I thought he was older than that. Of course Darius sounds better he has more experience.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Bridget said:

I saw Darius Rucker open for Brad Paisley and he was the best part of the concert. I could’ve gone home after Darius played (and before Brad took the stage) and it would’ve been fine with me. He’s THAT damn good! 

I don’t get the BTS thing either.  I have seen them perform on at least three other TV programs and I don’t know what it is about that group, but between not being able to understanding the lyrics to not being able to identify/keep up with the melody of at least one song, I guess my age is showing! 

I’m curious: when was Carson sassy? I love him and give him all of the passes in the world to be sassy, but I’m bummed I missed it. 

I can't remember what the context was now. lol  It was when he said something about giving Blake a "little blue pill" and Blake sprayed him with the Manure spray.  I'll have to rewatch later.  

14 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

There was an article in my local paper about the finale. I was surprised to learn how young the finalists were. Andrew is only 22 I thought he was older than that. Of course Darius sounds better he has more experience.

I didn't know that Andrew is only 22.  He looks older.  I finally saw both Monday and Tuesday shows and I must say that Andrew wins most improved to me.  I agree with the coaches that he has really stepped it up the last two weeks.

I love Darius' voice.  I believe it was Gyth not Andrew that sang with Hootie and the Blowfish.  You're right that most of the time, the celebrities are way better than the contestants because of experience, etc.  As I previously wrote, Blake usually if not always sounds better than his contestants.  When I wrote my post I was trying to say that Maelyn sounds like a seasoned artist.  Her voice didn't sound "weaker" in comparison to John or Sarah. 

(edited)

The Voice Needs to Give Adam Levine a Season (or Two) Off — Here's Why

19 hours ago, Bridget said:

Am I the only one who thinks Adam is an even bigger asshole now more than ever? He was the only coach who didn’t stand up and cheer for Maelyn when she won, despite his glowing accolades for her on Monday’s show. I just don’t understand him.

19 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

No my dear, you are not alone, Adam is a total ass hat, and has ruined the show for me. 

So much in agreement.  I have never thought he was attractive, see him as beady eyed and unbathed. 

the-voice-adam-levine-season-16.jpgBut I have found that it is his demeanor and behavior that makes him so unattractive to me.  And his gi-normous ego that seemingly blocks him from any recognition of negative reactions to his infantile behavior.

6768dc1ca84d425a9d94cd06d63f00d0.jpeg

Edited by observer
  • Love 2

Adam has quit the voice!!!

23 hours ago, Bridget said:

adam quit the show!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

...But Gwen is coming back. Boo.

4 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

...But Gwen is coming back. Boo.

Was bathrobe gate really worth it Adam?

So is Gwen taking Adam's spot or Kelly's?  

Speaking of Brad Paisley , if we didn't have Blake, he would be a good judge esp since he's judged other singing contests.  

• Love 1
On 5/22/2019 at 8:15 PM, ChristmasJones said:

You can see him here with blonde hair: http://stonetemplepilots.com/  - 

Thanks for posting.

On 5/23/2019 at 8:14 AM, kelslamu said:

I was happy to see Hootie and the Blowfish's performances. They really take me back (dating myself). I loved Maelynn's performance too. Halsey's song was ok, her costume on the other hand was atrocious. 

• Love 1
On 5/23/2019 at 8:24 PM, kathyk2 said:

I thought Andrew was older too. He looks older than 22. I guess it's the beard thing.

20 hours ago, MissSunshine said:

Adam has quit the voice!!!

adam quit the show!

As soon as I heard that, I had to come here and post.  I have to say I'm happy he did that.

15 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Was bathrobe gate really worth it Adam?

So is Gwen taking Adam's spot or Kelly's?  

Speaking of Brad Paisley , if we didn't have Blake, he would be a good judge esp since he's judged other singing contests.  

I don't mind Gwen. She's much better than Adam.

• Love 1

I liked Gwen when she was a judge.  Was she my favorite?  No.  But, she seemed supportive and caring about her team and that she enjoyed working with the other judges.  I'm assuming she was available on short notice and others were not.  So, I'm excited that she's coming back because it means that Adam isn't...

• Love 4
On 5/21/2019 at 10:50 PM, sharifa70 said:

Jeff Buckley’s will always be the definitive version of “Hallelujah” for me, but Maelyn really did a beautiful job. 

I like Jeff Buckley's version but I rather Karise Eden. I hated Maelyn's version and found it bland. 

I wish that the season was longer. I think that if we had the usual one person leaving each week instead of basically half each week that the final would have looked different. I don't know if people would have loved Maelyn if they had seven weeks of her singing basically the same thing. Can she do anything but that type of ballad. I also don't think that Gyth would have made it. It seemed like he wasn't consistent. Andrew might have been higher than fourth because he seemed to keep improving but then maybe he would have fizzled out also. While I was tickled that there was three country singers in the final I knew Maelyn would win because it was so much of 'against Blake'.

I get that not everyone is a country fan but Blake's team was not all horrible. People listen and vote for people that they like because that is what the music industry is all about. 

The real winner of this season will be seen in a year or more when we see who is was elevated from where they were and who is back working the same job as before.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:09 AM, Booklady1017 said:

As soon as I heard that, I had to come here and post.  I have to say I'm happy he did that.

Me, too. I hope Blake gets bored without Adam and leaves soon, too. I'm so tired of mediocre singers making it farther than they deserve because of his country base, but I suppose any other country artist they put in his seat will cause the same thing to happen.

Still, I've never been a Blake fan even before he was on The Voice. There are so, so many country artists I'd rather see than him. Maren Morris, Kacey Musgraves, Tim McGraw, Keith Urban, Darius Rucker, Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Kelsea Ballerini, Reba, the lead singer of Dan & Shay, Dolly Parton, Carrie Underwood, Thomas Rhett, the list goes on and on.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I'm so tired of mediocre singers making it farther than they deserve because of his country base, but I suppose any other country artist they put in his seat will cause the same thing to happen.

OK, how did Kelly's country singer beat Blake's country singer in the final if his fan base is the only reason why they are voted to the final. Maybe the fans voted for the singer they liked better. Maybe the only reason why people vote for Blake's country singers because if you like country that is generally the only team they are on.

Everyone's taste is different. I personally think that almost all the pop/r&b/indie and the so called rock singers on the show lately are mediocre to horrible. 

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

There are so, so many country artists I'd rather see than him. Maren Morris, Kacey Musgraves, Tim McGraw, Keith Urban, Darius Rucker, Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Kelsea Ballerini, Reba, the lead singer of Dan & Shay, Dolly Parton, Carrie Underwood, Thomas Rhett, the list goes on and on.

Oooh, Keith Urban would be a great choice. He really knows music across genres, and we would never have to hear that “I don’t know that song” nonsense from him. I feel like he’d actually know what to do with any singer on his team and not just the country ones.

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 2
On 5/21/2019 at 9:20 PM, sharifa70 said:

I expect I may have to duck rotten vegetables, but after seeing a live version of the song sung by Jon Bon Jovi, his is still my favorite version of the song. The verses he sings and the small melody changes he makes - especially to the end - make it my favorite, and I end up comparing any version I hear to his.

On 5/22/2019 at 9:16 AM, RedbirdNelly said:

me too and I like the song partially because it's been used effectively on shows like ER, which I know is silly but it has moved me then. The other most moving use of the song was on the Voice when Sandy Hook happened and they opened the show with the coaches and cast holding candles and pictures. . and it just gutted me.

I agree that that The Voice rendition was affecting.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:55 AM, xfuse said:

I like Jeff Buckley's version but I rather Karise Eden. I hated Maelyn's version and found it bland.

I didn't hate Maelyn's version, but I again compared it to Jon's version and preferred his.

I will have to look for Karise Eden's version as I don't think I have heard that one.

• Love 1
On 5/27/2019 at 3:27 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

Me, too. I hope Blake gets bored without Adam and leaves soon, too. I'm so tired of mediocre singers making it farther than they deserve because of his country base, but I suppose any other country artist they put in his seat will cause the same thing to happen.

Still, I've never been a Blake fan even before he was on The Voice. There are so, so many country artists I'd rather see than him. Maren Morris, Kacey Musgraves, Tim McGraw, Keith Urban, Darius Rucker, Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Kelsea Ballerini, Reba, the lead singer of Dan & Shay, Dolly Parton, Carrie Underwood, Thomas Rhett, the list goes on and on.

I have nothing against country, it isn't one of my favorite genres, so I get tired of all the country people but it is worse for someone who is mediocre to make it through because of his country base than all the country people.

(edited)
8 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

I expect I may have to duck rotten vegetables, but after seeing a live version of the song sung by Jon Bon Jovi, his is still my favorite version of the song. The verses he sings and the small melody changes he makes - especially to the end - make it my favorite, and I end up comparing any version I hear to his.

I agree that that The Voice rendition was affecting.

I didn't hate Maelyn's version, but I again compared it to Jon's version and preferred his.

I will have to look for Karise Eden's version as I don't think I have heard that one.

Bon Jovi’s version is hauntingly beautiful and my favourite too 

Edited by sarkygal
To add link
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, sarkygal said:

Bon Jovi’s version is hauntingly beautiful and my favourite too 

I was lucky enough to see him sing it twice in concert.

Edited to add: Here's one of the versions I saw (in Atlanta). Jon messed up the lyrics to the first verse in this version (someone in the audience was waving a big poster that distracted him), but I couldn't find a good recording of the other version (in 2008), so I went with the 2010 version, since the recording is better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp9nEwWiPQg This version has that ending that I love so much.

And here's the same type version from a VH-1 show for those who prefer a cleaner recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JET3H98iCo  As I was when Maelyn sang it on this show, I am generally waiting for this ending and then when it doesn't happen, I miss it. But I don't think there are many who sing it the way Jon does here.

Edited by AwesomO4000
On 5/21/2019 at 9:20 PM, sharifa70 said:

I love this version too. I was late to the song, so its use in the gut punch scene in the season 3 finale of "The West Wing" (shown in part here)

I also like the version by The Canadian Tenors on "The Oprah Winfrey Show," when they got a little surprise mid-performance (shown in part here)

On 5/29/2019 at 9:00 PM, AwesomO4000 said:

I was lucky enough to see him sing it twice in concert.

Edited to add: Here's one of the versions I saw (in Atlanta). Jon messed up the lyrics to the first verse in this version (someone in the audience was waving a big poster that distracted him), but I couldn't find a good recording of the other version (in 2008), so I went with the 2010 version, since the recording is better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp9nEwWiPQg This version has that ending that I love so much.

And here's the same type version from a VH-1 show for those who prefer a cleaner recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JET3H98iCo  As I was when Maelyn sang it on this show, I am generally waiting for this ending and then when it doesn't happen, I miss it. But I don't think there are many who sing it the way Jon does here.

Agree with everyone on JBJ being their favorite version.  Everybody is always surprised to hear that, but they've all (in my experience) never actually heard it.

I can't remember where it was, but I read some years ago that it was Leonard Cohen's favorite version as well.

• Love 1