Type keyword(s) to search

Season 16 Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, realdancemom said:

It is too bad that there are a lot of good artists remaining and hardly any steals/saves left.  But this is how it is in the Knockouts.  I think the judges use them too early.  You just can't tell as much because the show rearranges the order of the performances.

This. Some artists always lose out because the saves/steals are gone when they perform or because the coach is saving it with someone else in mind. It’s part of the system when coaches have to save in the moment. I think the fact that this round is moving so fast is also giving people a different perception about how the saves/steals are being used.

Across all four judges, there were 8 saves/steals this round. Half of the artists have performed and 5 saves/steals have been used and 3 remain. I don’t think it’s that bad. We can blame Adam for messing up the ratio.

Also, there just aren’t that many cuts this round. I each coach started with 8 artists for a total of 32 still competing. Of the 16 who lose their battle, 8 will be saved or stolen, sending 24 to the next round. Only 8 artists are eliminated. It’s not that harsh, IMO.

I am curious what would happen if say the last artist to lose a battle is on Team Kelly and Kelly ties to save and Blake tries to steal. Would whoever loses get to pick an eliminated artist? My hunch is producers meddle to much for that to happen.

• Love 3

I was not surprised that a majority of the saves and steals were used this week.  The format provides an incentive for the coaches to front-load their favorites (to the extend possible given who challenges them).  Its the best way to maximize the chances of keeping the contestants you really want.

Of course this doesn't prevent the coaches from making bad choices.  I think its pretty much a travesty that Kayslin and Andrew are going home, while Celia and Selkii were saved.  The first two were far superior this round and had impressed me more in previous rounds (with the singular exception of Celia's blind audition).

I was concerned that Adam's unpopularity was going to screw his better contestants.  But at least most viewers weren't so irrational as to vote for Selkii just to punish Mari's coach.

I sure hope they bring back the Knockouts next season.  They were always one of my favorite rounds because the contestants have to pick their own songs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:52 AM, viajero said:

I was not surprised that a majority of the saves and steals were used this week.  The format provides an incentive for the coaches to front-load their favorites (to the extend possible given who challenges them).  Its the best way to maximize the chances of keeping the contestants you really want.

Of course this doesn't prevent the coaches from making bad choices.  I think its pretty much a travesty that Kayslin and Andrew are going home, while Celia and Selkii were saved.  The first two were far superior this round and had impressed me more in previous rounds (with the singular exception of Celia's blind audition).

I was concerned that Adam's unpopularity was going to screw his better contestants.  But at least most viewers weren't so irrational as to vote for Selkii just to punish Mari's coach.

I sure hope they bring back the Knockouts next season.  They were always one of my favorite rounds because the contestants have to pick their own songs.

I liked Selkii FYI the Voice is moving to 9:00 on Tuesdays starting next week.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I liked Selkii FYI the Voice is moving to 9:00 on Tuesdays starting next week.

Permanent move or just for that week? Odd to do a permanent move mid-season.

On 4/18/2019 at 12:52 AM, viajero said:

This is yet another reason to NOT go to Team Adam; he gets to pick your songs! *shudder*

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 4/18/2019 at 1:52 AM, viajero said:

I totally agree with all of this.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, readheaded said:

I just can't with Karly.  This song is awful and she sounds ridiculous.  Don't get me started on the hats.

I liked her, but once she was picked to go up against Shaun Soundz I knew she was toast (and Blake understandably wants to save Gyth) She did sound flat at times to me, and while I like the huskiness of her voice, I can't see her going far in this competition if by some miracle she's picked over Shaun.

What did Jimmy say to Carson?

• Love 1

I just voted for Blake's team.  If they really wanted us to vote for who won the battle, the system would just have us vote for one person per performance.  Also, voted for the  guy that should be on a soap opera on John's team.

I thought the Bundys were awful. I thought Blake was smart to have all his country singers preform all on the same night. I loved Beth I miss seeing the coaches interact with their team members with the battle rounds.

• Love 1

The only performances I actually fully watched were Julian, Carter, Jacob, Jimmy, and Gyth. The rest made me hit fast forward pretty quickly. ETA: Oh wait, I watched the one who sang "Any Man of Mine," who I do not remember at all from previous rounds lol.

Will the live playoffs be the same this season? Like will it be the top 2 vote getters from each team going through and then the coach picking 1 more from each of their teams?

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

I finally got around to watching last night's show just in time for the results show.  Overall it was much better than last week, at least in part because they fixed the sound problem.  Getting down to the individual battles:

LB vs. Jej - both were very good, but I give the edge to LB because he actually put his heart into his performance.  Jej's vocals were faultless, but he was bland and the song went nowhere.

Kalvin vs. Julien - No contest.  Kalvin gave us one of the better performances with his reinterpretation of New Rules.  Julien started well, but then got lost and was all over the place.  Also, don't sing verses in Spanish if you're going to sound like an American tourist on vacation practicing what they remember from a couple of high school language classes.  His accent was atrocious and almost impossible to understand.  

Carter vs. Jacob - Another wipeout.  While Carter's vocals didn't come close to matching the grit and strength of the original, at least it was a worthy spirited effort.  Jacob sounded like he'd already given up.

The Bundy's vs. Andrew -  The Bundy's were so bad during their solos that Andrew wins by default.

Shawn vs. Karly - While its true that Karly gives us something different, she also wasn't all that good.  Shawn was the clear winner.

Kendra vs. Jimmy - I really liked Kendra's vocal, though not the song so much.  In contrast, I liked Jimmy's song, but he became too strident and pitchy as it went on.  I'd give this to Kendra.

Rebecca vs. Beth - Rebecca really surprised me with her infectious performance, but Beth was superb.  I hope they both survive to the next round.

Gyth vs. Abby - I don't get all this talk about Gyth being a shoe-in for the finale.  He's competent, but there are better country singers in this competition.  Abby was entertaining.  I call this one a draw.

Finally, I'd add that I absolutely hate the way they've set up the voting online in presenting the contestants by coach rather than by battle.  It would be a real pity if the likes of Karly get through simply because she's on Team Blake or Julian because he's on Team Legend.

• Love 2

I also don’t like the by-coach grouping for voting purposes, and think it should be head-to-head voting to mirror the contest.

I just noticed that the audience is set back farther from the stage, and I loved loved loved not having to watch all that stupid, off-rhythm waving the people in the front always do. Can we keep them far away? Pretty pretty please?

Edited by sharifa70
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Blake has twice as many artists moving on to the next round as Adam. I find that hilarious!

I saw Blake got 8 ( would have gotten 9 if the blonde had stayed).  Priceless.

So did Adam, john and Kelly get 4 each?

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

I saw Blake got 8 ( would have gotten 9 if the blonde had stayed).  Priceless.

So did Adam, john and Kelly get 4 each?

Blake - 8

Kelly - 6 

John - 6

Adam - 4

Each coach started with 8. Blake lost 1 artist, but it evens out with the steal. 

Edited by Dots And Stripes
fixing my math
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, JeanneH said:

Did Kelly invite Beth to go tour with her or just duet on something together? I didn't quite catch it.

I couldn't tell but she definitely invited her to do something.  Kelly was great with Beth and LB.  She really does care about these artists.

14 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

Oh poor Adam 

I don't feel bad for Adam.  I do feel bad for his contestants.   I don't like that the show put the contestants by coach.  I think it should have been side by side by battle.  Some people just voted for Blake's contestants because of Blake.  I'm not sure if people were punishing Adam by not voting for his. 

With that being said, I don't disagree too much with the results.  Both LB and Beth were really good but so were Jej and Rebecca.  The Bundys blew it.  I would have chosen Kendra over Jimmy but he did perform well.  She seemed more effortless though while he was really pushing the high notes.  She was getting teary so I'm glad that Blake stole her.  Don't get the Gyth love but I'm not a country fan.  I do like Rebecca though.

• Love 3

Who sang "Still the One"?  What a terrible song choice (just sort of boring) and he didn't sing it well either.

While its true that Karly gives us something different, she also wasn't all that good.

I really liked her in previous performances, but I couldn't even get through this one.

• Love 1

Does anyone know how they are handling cutting to top 12?  It doesn't seem fair that every coach still gets 3 (otherwise what is the point of letting Blake have 8 contestants if he now has to cut 5 while Adam only has to cut 1?)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, JeanneH said:

Did Kelly invite Beth to go tour with her or just duet on something together? I didn't quite catch it.

Kelly said “If you ever want to sing with me, just let me know” and Beth quickly said she did. I interpreted that as Kelly offering Beth a gig as a background vocalist on tour or in the studio since that’s her background.

Re: Jimmy & Carson’s quick chat on Monday

If you go back and watch it, you’ll notice Jimmy acting like he has to talk to Carson before they went to commercial break immediately after the bro-high five/hug.

I am 99.9% convinced that Jimmy said “Hey, let’s go to another rave.” I clearly and distinctly heard Carson say “Oh hell yeah; let’s go/we should go to Vegas.” 

I am simply horrified at how awful the singers have been during the Cross Battles. Horrified. Everyone sounded so bad! I couldn’t even recognize most of the songs - it was that bad!

We know the band is loud and tends to overplay. The sound engineers are awful at their jobs, but oh my God. So bad. The only person who sounded like they were able to sing was Rebecca (“Any Man of Mine”).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bridget said:

Kelly said “If you ever want to sing with me, just let me know” and Beth quickly said she did. I interpreted that as Kelly offering Beth a gig as a background vocalist on tour or in the studio since that’s her background.

I heard Kelly say "let's do it" and sort of give her a high five.  Love that Kelly and Blake are so supportive of contestants after the show is over.  I haven't heard of Adam doing anything and, of course, this is John Legend's first year but I wouldn't be surprised if he kept in touch with at least a few of his team.  Not a Voice contestant but I saw Kelly singing at one of her concerts on You Tube and Allison Iraheta, who came in 3rd on Adam Lambert's season, was one of her backup singers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

I heard Kelly say "let's do it" and sort of give her a high five.  Love that Kelly and Blake are so supportive of contestants after the show is over.  I haven't heard of Adam doing anything and, of course, this is John Legend's first year but I wouldn't be surprised if he kept in touch with at least a few of his team.  Not a Voice contestant but I saw Kelly singing at one of her concerts on You Tube and Allison Iraheta, who came in 3rd on Adam Lambert's season, was one of her backup singers.

Miley is another one that really tried to help her contestants after the show.  I remember reading an article where the producer said something like poor Miley is always on her phone helping previous contestants.  Miley got extremely close with Janice.  She helped pay some of her rent and was helping her career-wise too.  Miley wrote a heartfelt message when Janice passed away.  RIP Janice.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Does anyone know how they are handling cutting to top 12?  It doesn't seem fair that every coach still gets 3 (otherwise what is the point of letting Blake have 8 contestants if he now has to cut 5 while Adam only has to cut 1?)

I asked this too but got no response so I'm thinking no one knows. They need to be clearer about how things work on this show, especially since they like to change things a lot of the time.

• Love 1

Its a pity the likes of Beth and LB are going home, while Jacob and Abby go through.  John must have expected Beth to win her battle (which she should have).  Otherwise, how to explain his save of Jacob?

I liked Brynn's song much more than I expected to.

Edited by viajero
10 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Top 8 advance regardless of team. Each coach picks 1 artist. There maybe a slight advantage in being on Team Adam because they all have a 1 in 4 chance of getting picked by their coach now. Clearly though being Team Adam is not a boost with the public votes.

I think we actually have a top 13 again with the returning artist from Bebe's team. I wonder if like last year the artist will get to pick his or her coach or if they will be assigned based on numbers. 

9 hours ago, Bridget said:

Re: Jimmy & Carson’s quick chat on Monday

If you go back and watch it, you’ll notice Jimmy acting like he has to talk to Carson before they went to commercial break immediately after the bro-high five/hug.

I am 99.9% convinced that Jimmy said “Hey, let’s go to another rave.” I clearly and distinctly heard Carson say “Oh hell yeah; let’s go/we should go to Vegas.” 

Carson tweeted they were talking about going to a Raider's game.

• Love 1

Two odd occurances were about all that was memorable from this week...

First off they showed 'Team Kelly' and I was for a moment saying to myself "Wait... is that Kelly in the pink??" She has been hanging around Adam too much with the hair color thing.

And secondly I spent some time pondering if Shawn Sounds had been given a beard/goatee extension. Of course I had to look back at the 'cast' page in order to come up with his name though.

Only notable singing-related occurance, to me, was that I thought Julian was robbed.

• Love 1

'The Voice' Fans Are Reeling Over This Awkward Moment Between Adam Levine and Blake Shelton

Here's where things got...awkward. Adam rightfully defended his new look, but followed up with a quick (and brutal) statement in reference to Blake—which cued crickets from the audience. "Hey guys," he said to the performers on stage. "Sorry. I just hate him, that's all." Usually his comments earn an occasional chuckle or cheer, but nary a sound was heard in the studio. Yikes...

see link for Twitter responses

I am done with Adam.  He is either too stupid or too egotistical or listens only to positive comments about himself (and utterly believes them).  Does he not recognize the negative response he gets?  I hope his wife is able to overcome what their daughters hear, he is a terrible example for anyone to mimic.  Agree with all the tweets in the article, especially this one:

@jonesterG

FollowFollow @jonesterG

#FireAdamlevine Tired of Adam Levine’s bullying on #TheVoice. Calling Blake stupid, constantly insulting him. It is NOT funny. He acts like a twelve-year-old. He needs to go. Unacceptable behavior.

6:24 PM - 22 Apr 2019

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

NEWLY ADDED:

Could 'The Voice' Coach Adam Levine Actually Lose His Entire Team Before the Finale?

NEWLY ADDED:

The Voice Live Cross Battles 2 Recap: Which of the Contestants Sang Themselves Into Danger?

Highest letter grades: 

Shaun Sounds:  A-  (Team Legend) 

Beth-Griffith-Manley:  A-  (Team Legend)

LB Crew:  B+ (Team Adam)

Rebecca Howell:  B+  (Team Kelly)

8 thoughts on “‘The Voice’ Top 24: Which coach has the best team in season 16? [POLL]”

The proof is in the pudding.

Team Adam Levine (4 artists)
Betsy Ade, Domenic Haynes, Kalvin Jarvis, Mari

Team Blake Shelton (8 artists)
Oliv Blu, Kendra Checketts, Kim Cherry, Carter Lloyd Horne, Gyth Rigdon, Dexter Roberts, Selkii, Andrew Sevener

Edited by observer
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

My comments on this weeks Cross-Battles:

1. Most contestants were better than last week, but of course there were some duds like Karly and Jake. 

2. John made a rookie mistake in assuming Beth would go through and saving Jake instead

3. I see the Adam backlash through the fact not as many of his contestants won their battles 

On 4/22/2019 at 10:40 PM, kathyk2 said:

I thought the Bundys were awful. I thought Blake was smart to have all his country singers preform all on the same night. I loved Beth I miss seeing the coaches interact with their team members with the battle rounds.

I hope Beth is the one that Bebe picks for the Comeback stage. Yes the Bundys were not good at all on Monday.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:12 PM, viajero said:

I finally got around to watching last night's show just in time for the results show.  Overall it was much better than last week, at least in part because they fixed the sound problem.  Getting down to the individual battles:

LB vs. Jej - both were very good, but I give the edge to LB because he actually put his heart into his performance.  Jej's vocals were faultless, but he was bland and the song went nowhere.

Kalvin vs. Julien - No contest.  Kalvin gave us one of the better performances with his reinterpretation of New Rules.  Julien started well, but then got lost and was all over the place.  Also, don't sing verses in Spanish if you're going to sound like an American tourist on vacation practicing what they remember from a couple of high school language classes.  His accent was atrocious and almost impossible to understand.  

Carter vs. Jacob - Another wipeout.  While Carter's vocals didn't come close to matching the grit and strength of the original, at least it was a worthy spirited effort.  Jacob sounded like he'd already given up.

The Bundy's vs. Andrew -  The Bundy's were so bad during their solos that Andrew wins by default.

Shawn vs. Karly - While its true that Karly gives us something different, she also wasn't all that good.  Shawn was the clear winner.

Kendra vs. Jimmy - I really liked Kendra's vocal, though not the song so much.  In contrast, I liked Jimmy's song, but he became too strident and pitchy as it went on.  I'd give this to Kendra.

Rebecca vs. Beth - Rebecca really surprised me with her infectious performance, but Beth was superb.  I hope they both survive to the next round.

Gyth vs. Abby - I don't get all this talk about Gyth being a shoe-in for the finale.  He's competent, but there are better country singers in this competition.  Abby was entertaining.  I call this one a draw.

Finally, I'd add that I absolutely hate the way they've set up the voting online in presenting the contestants by coach rather than by battle.  It would be a real pity if the likes of Karly get through simply because she's on Team Blake or Julian because he's on Team Legend.

I agree the voting should have been set up by having it listed as each Cross Battle grouping listed separately and having us vote for one or the other.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:12 PM, viajero said:

Agreed. I hope at least LB or Beth are selected for the Comeback stage. 

On 4/24/2019 at 12:34 PM, realdancemom said:

I couldn't tell but she definitely invited her to do something.  Kelly was great with Beth and LB.  She really does care about these artists.

I don't feel bad for Adam.  I do feel bad for his contestants.   I don't like that the show put the contestants by coach.  I think it should have been side by side by battle.  Some people just voted for Blake's contestants because of Blake.  I'm not sure if people were punishing Adam by not voting for his. 

With that being said, I don't disagree too much with the results.  Both LB and Beth were really good but so were Jej and Rebecca.  The Bundys blew it.  I would have chosen Kendra over Jimmy but he did perform well.  She seemed more effortless though while he was really pushing the high notes.  She was getting teary so I'm glad that Blake stole her.  Don't get the Gyth love but I'm not a country fan.  I do like Rebecca though.

I felt bad for Adam's contestants too, especially LB. I agree with you and others who said the voting should have been set up differently, more to reflect the Cross Battle rounds and not the coaches. 

On 4/24/2019 at 3:26 PM, Koalagirl said:

Yes, I know Blake definitely helps some of his contestants after the show and I bet Kelly would do this too for Beth. It made me feel a little better at least since Beth didn't make it through. 

On 4/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, viajero said:

Its a pity the likes of Beth and LB are going home, while Jacob and Abby go through.  John must have expected Beth to win her battle (which she should have).  Otherwise, how to explain his save of Jacob?

I liked Brynn's song much more than I expected to.

I agree about Beth and LB and I felt those two Jacob and Abby were not that great.

40 minutes ago, Booklady1017 said:

I agree the voting should have been set up by having it listed as each Cross Battle grouping listed separately and having us vote for one or the other.

Agreed. I hope at least LB or Beth are selected for the Comeback stage. 

They aren't eligible for the Comeback stage since they made it through the Knockouts.

I thought I heard on the Comeback Stage that the final contestant who will go up against the last remaining contestant on the Comeback Stage was someone from the Cross Battles. Did I hear incorrectly? Maybe someone else here can verify this?

• Love 1

RANT!

I wish someone would tell the singers to enunciate!  Unless I happen to know the lyrics (rare) I can't understand more than a few words.  It's become a joke in our house as we call out the few words we do hear clearly.

I agree that the band overplays and contributes to the problem.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, Skycatcher said:

I wish someone would tell the singers to enunciate!  Unless I happen to know the lyrics (rare) I can't understand more than a few words.  It's become a joke in our house as we call out the few words we do hear clearly.

We call out the few words we can understand, too! Gyth's Cross Battle performance was so bad for this. I got maybe 2 words total lol.

• Love 3
On 4/27/2019 at 1:44 PM, Booklady1017 said:

I thought I heard on the Comeback Stage that the final contestant who will go up against the last remaining contestant on the Comeback Stage was someone from the Cross Battles. Did I hear incorrectly? Maybe someone else here can verify this?

Yeah, the Comeback State finalist Kenard will go up against one of the people eliminated in the Cross Battles.  The winner will be decided by the viewer's votes.

14 hours ago, viajero said:

Yeah, the Comeback State finalist Kenard will go up against one of the people eliminated in the Cross Battles.  The winner will be decided by the viewer's votes.

Oh good. Glad to hear that. I hope it’s Beth.

• Love 1
On 4/28/2019 at 9:33 AM, Skycatcher said:

RANT!

I agree that the band overplays and contributes to the problem.

Yes, I have a difficult time understanding some of the singers too and as you said, if I don't know the song, I'm totally lost. 

21 hours ago, viajero said:

Thanks for clarifying. Did they pick the person yet from the Cross Battles?

*laughs at Team Adam's small number of contestants* I want to feel bad for them but most actually PICKED to be on his team so I don't really feel too bad for them.

Well, I'm bored and it's been raining all day... here's a breakdown of today's 24 performances!

In general not sure if I like having each team play one after the other as it gives an advantage to the artists people last hear and disadvantages the early performers who played at the beginning. Random order would probably be better?

Team Kelly:

Still not digging the blonde hair on Kelly.

Rod Stokes - "This sonnnnnnng has got about four words, only 'bout four words and two are Midnighhhhhhhhht Riiiiiiiiiiderrrr!" Wow, some songs just don't translate well into a 1:30 performance and this? Is one of them. Well performed but not a good choice.

Matthew Johnson - At times he hits the groove in this song but it's overall not a great performance. Good techincally but it was a little too slow and chopped up overall.

Rebecca Howell - She's wearing the Chevelle special boot-showin dress tonight. I've liked her performaces before but tonight she is constantly sturggling with the fast pacing of the song and it is just a non-enunciation nightmare. Shoutout to Skycatcher for mentioning this issue upthread. This was a textbook case. She was "swallowing" a lot of the ends of words and it all ran together.

Presley Tennant - Her pants in that grandpa style (the belt came up to mid-chest) made her look ten feet tall. She also has serious eyebrow issues. Those things are almost as big as her pants. I think she showed her range well here without overdoing it tooo much.

Abby Kasch - This was everyting Rebecca's song wasn't. It was clearly sung and told a story that was clearly gotten across. I didn't know this song but I knew it by the end. Great job. Hard to believe she was a steal (or save... can't remember which)

Jej Vinson - Well I'd kind of forgotten his performance and moved on the the next team until my DVR replay showed him. I'd guess that's not a good sign. Something about this was just off to me. Partially it was too soft and trying to be SO full of emotion... While he'd impressed before this one was too much fluff not enough substance to me, too stylized.

Team Legend

Perdiful green suit on Mr. Legend tonight. Let's see how his team does with it's first lives.

Lisa Ramey - I'm glad she has branched out from the lopsided mohawk though deer gahd what is with those thigh high gold boots? Her prancing about and ducking down doesn't do anything for me. She's a bit too ott for me. It was a good performance vocally however even if I didn't like this reworking of the song.

Jacob Maxwell - Is not Chloe. That will hurt him here. Taking out the structure of the song doesn't help either (he sang a few 'bright eyes' but mainly neutered the song). If someone had never this song they might like this performance.

Musical break at Marshall's - Fun, but again Lisa must always be on and that has to be tiring to be around. She at one point is riding on someone's shoulders here. *eye roll*

Jimmy Mowery - He is a good performer. He kept strong even while running around a lot so you know he has good breath control. Not my cup of tea, but a good job.

Celia Babini - I think goes down as a crime against music in general. Some songs shouldn't be re-arranged like this. Being this is her style and her voice is much more on-tone than he last disaster I guess her fans will greet it well. Especially if they (somehow) haven't heard the classic version.

Maelyn Jarmon - Compare this with Rebecca's lack of enunciation and you will see why Maelyn is a true front runner and she doesn't dissapoint or fall-back here. The only thing is she tends to kind of stare up into the rafters while she sings and some connection with the crowd would draw us in a bit more.

Shawn Sounds - A better guy than a singer but easy to cheer for. The crazy eyes have to go. Was a fun performance though. Hard to think many will out-do this one tonight really. Just as Maelyn before him he shows why he's a head above most on the show.

Team Adam:

Adam basically says "Don't vote for them as Team Adam but as they are as individual contestants, it's not their fault I'm an ass."

Kalvin Jarvis - In general, if you can't dance... don't dance. This was almost spoken word in parts and that didn't do many favors for the performance as a whole. Will only be remembered at the end of the night for it's miss-steps most likely. Yes I'm still bitter about his winning over Julian...

Betsy Ade - Valiantly tries to set a clapping rhythm for the usually tone-deaf audience with a tamborine portion at the beginning. Again, I'm piling on Rebecca here but this is how you can deliver a fast vocal and still be heard clearly. Good job bringing some energy that Jej could have used in his lackluster performance.

Mari - I love her style. She stands out whenever she performs. I guess she might be hurt long-term by not being the most mainstream, but I think she's great.

Domenic Haynes - Tough going slow after such an uptempo number but he did well I think. I'm a little on the fence about his style though. He definitely is unique and there is no doubt he can sing; it's the stylizations he puts into things I'm not sure 'works' for me yet?

Team Blake:

Andrew Sevener - Andrew pretty much always delivers with thing in his 'lane' with the uptempo boot kickin country but I wonder about his ability to carry a whole set. You can't always go pedal to the metal.

Selkii - Good song choice. A little shaky at first but she leveled it out. I think she's a better person to work with/personality than a singer. Blake likes her more than I do but this was one that got better as it went along. I fear she's lost in the shuffle on Team Blake though.

Ad break: Pikachu should not talk. Period. Yikes.

Oliv Blu -  I admit to liking Oliv, but she was a little too into her own self in this one and it fell to kitsch... the thing with starting holding her huge brain out to the side was too 'look at me; for me. Vocally she was spot on but bad song choice and questionable 'performance'. Too narrowly-focused for mass voting needed to make the next stage most likely. Too bad.

Gyth Rigdon - Not my 'lane' but he is a good storyteller without the annunciation issues once you get past the countryfied accent... with the appealing style/personality/looks and Blake Vote he'll cruise to the final.

Kendra Cheketts -  I love her. I'm glad that she's not another waify cute teen. I may like her "image" better than he actual singing, though I liked her control on this one it's always good to have diversity of sounds/types even if she'll hit the not mainstream enough thing too I hope she makes it through.

Carter Llyod Horne -  Ballsy to take on Elvis... more of an homage than a cover though? Def. one of the better performances of the night though even if I'm liking it against my wanting not to.

Kim Cherry - Her persona/rapping kind of annoys me. I'm glad she's singing first before the inevitable rapping. Good song choice, as I have great love for folkster Steve Poltz' version with the same kind of 'break'... anyhow I think she did good by not going too crazy with the rap. The thing I wonder is will everyone who likes that she is unique and vote for her cover the people will say 'I'm not voting for that annoying rap lady." I guess we find out tomorrow.

Dexter Roberts - No cowboy hat and playing an electric on Team Blake? Interesting. This did kind of feel like when you go to one of those multi-artist shows and you can tell when the end is coming by the increase in obvious talent of the later bands... a fitting closer I'd say. Surprising.

Also surprising I made it thought the whole show. *bows*

• Love 4

The commercial all the contestants shot for Marshall's was way better than anything that was onstage tonight. Almost everyone sounded off-key, and that has to be the sound levels/band. And then they announced that half will be cut next week? I barely recognized most of the ones who sang tonight. It felt extremely rushed. A few notes:

Jej -- that whole beginning of the song went on and on in a monotone before it really went anywhere. He did have pretty good stage presence though.

Kim Cherry -- stands out because I spent the first half of an otherwise ok Waterfalls wondering if she'd rap in the middle of it. (Spoiler alert: she does) Unforch, the rap sounded exactly as I thought it would --crammed in because that's her schtick.

Gyth -- surprising, because his voice on its own didn't sound all that, but somehow it worked overall.

Maelyn- managed to sound good despite the audio.

Betsey Ade -- I did appreciate the high energy performance, but I felt it made her sound breathless and one-note for most of it.

Kalvin -- that made Julian's leaving a double shame.

Shaun Soundz -- like Maelyn didn't let the audio stop him from delivering.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

*laughs at Team Adam's small number of contestants* I want to feel bad for them but most actually PICKED to be on his team so I don't really feel too bad for them.

Well, I'm bored and it's been raining all day... here's a breakdown of today's 24 performances!

In general not sure if I like having each team play one after the other as it gives an advantage to the artists people last hear and disadvantages the early performers who played at the beginning. Random order would probably be better?

Team Kelly:

Still not digging the blonde hair on Kelly.

Rod Stokes - "This sonnnnnnng has got about four words, only 'bout four words and two are Midnighhhhhhhhht Riiiiiiiiiiderrrr!" Wow, some songs just don't translate well into a 1:30 performance and this? Is one of them. Well performed but not a good choice.

Matthew Johnson - At times he hits the groove in this song but it's overall not a great performance. Good techincally but it was a little too slow and chopped up overall.

Rebecca Howell - She's wearing the Chevelle special boot-showin dress tonight. I've liked her performaces before but tonight she is constantly sturggling with the fast pacing of the song and it is just a non-enunciation nightmare. Shoutout to Skycatcher for mentioning this issue upthread. This was a textbook case. She was "swallowing" a lot of the ends of words and it all ran together.

Presley Tennant - Her pants in that grandpa style (the belt came up to mid-chest) made her look ten feet tall. She also has serious eyebrow issues. Those things are almost as big as her pants. I think she showed her range well here without overdoing it tooo much.

Abby Kasch - This was everyting Rebecca's song wasn't. It was clearly sung and told a story that was clearly gotten across. I didn't know this song but I knew it by the end. Great job. Hard to believe she was a steal (or save... can't remember which)

Jej Vinson - Well I'd kind of forgotten his performance and moved on the the next team until my DVR replay showed him. I'd guess that's not a good sign. Something about this was just off to me. Partially it was too soft and trying to be SO full of emotion... While he'd impressed before this one was too much fluff not enough substance to me, too stylized.

Team Legend

Perdiful green suit on Mr. Legend tonight. Let's see how his team does with it's first lives.

Lisa Ramey - I'm glad she has branched out from the lopsided mohawk though deer gahd what is with those thigh high gold boots? Her prancing about and ducking down doesn't do anything for me. She's a bit too ott for me. It was a good performance vocally however even if I didn't like this reworking of the song.

Jacob Maxwell - Is not Chloe. That will hurt him here. Taking out the structure of the song doesn't help either (he sang a few 'bright eyes' but mainly neutered the song). If someone had never this song they might like this performance.

Musical break at Marshall's - Fun, but again Lisa must always be on and that has to be tiring to be around. She at one point is riding on someone's shoulders here. *eye roll*

Jimmy Mowery - He is a good performer. He kept strong even while running around a lot so you know he has good breath control. Not my cup of tea, but a good job.

Celia Babini - I think goes down as a crime against music in general. Some songs shouldn't be re-arranged like this. Being this is her style and her voice is much more on-tone than he last disaster I guess her fans will greet it well. Especially if they (somehow) haven't heard the classic version.

Maelyn Jarmon - Compare this with Rebecca's lack of enunciation and you will see why Maelyn is a true front runner and she doesn't dissapoint or fall-back here. The only thing is she tends to kind of stare up into the rafters while she sings and some connection with the crowd would draw us in a bit more.

Shawn Sounds - A better guy than a singer but easy to cheer for. The crazy eyes have to go. Was a fun performance though. Hard to think many will out-do this one tonight really. Just as Maelyn before him he shows why he's a head above most on the show.

Team Adam:

Adam basically says "Don't vote for them as Team Adam but as they are as individual contestants, it's not their fault I'm an ass."

Kalvin Jarvis - In general, if you can't dance... don't dance. This was almost spoken word in parts and that didn't do many favors for the performance as a whole. Will only be remembered at the end of the night for it's miss-steps most likely. Yes I'm still bitter about his winning over Julian...

Betsy Ade - Valiantly tries to set a clapping rhythm for the usually tone-deaf audience with a tamborine portion at the beginning. Again, I'm piling on Rebecca here but this is how you can deliver a fast vocal and still be heard clearly. Good job bringing some energy that Jej could have used in his lackluster performance.

Mari - I love her style. She stands out whenever she performs. I guess she might be hurt long-term by not being the most mainstream, but I think she's great.

Domenic Haynes - Tough going slow after such an uptempo number but he did well I think. I'm a little on the fence about his style though. He definitely is unique and there is no doubt he can sing; it's the stylizations he puts into things I'm not sure 'works' for me yet?

Team Blake:

Andrew Sevener - Andrew pretty much always delivers with thing in his 'lane' with the uptempo boot kickin country but I wonder about his ability to carry a whole set. You can't always go pedal to the metal.

Selkii - Good song choice. A little shaky at first but she leveled it out. I think she's a better person to work with/personality than a singer. Blake likes her more than I do but this was one that got better as it went along. I fear she's lost in the shuffle on Team Blake though.

Ad break: Pikachu should not talk. Period. Yikes.

Oliv Blu -  I admit to liking Oliv, but she was a little too into her own self in this one and it fell to kitsch... the thing with starting holding her huge brain out to the side was too 'look at me; for me. Vocally she was spot on but bad song choice and questionable 'performance'. Too narrowly-focused for mass voting needed to make the next stage most likely. Too bad.

Gyth Rigdon - Not my 'lane' but he is a good storyteller without the annunciation issues once you get past the countryfied accent... with the appealing style/personality/looks and Blake Vote he'll cruise to the final.

Kendra Cheketts -  I love her. I'm glad that she's not another waify cute teen. I may like her "image" better than he actual singing, though I liked her control on this one it's always good to have diversity of sounds/types even if she'll hit the not mainstream enough thing too I hope she makes it through.

Carter Llyod Horne -  Ballsy to take on Elvis... more of an homage than a cover though? Def. one of the better performances of the night though even if I'm liking it against my wanting not to.

Kim Cherry - Her persona/rapping kind of annoys me. I'm glad she's singing first before the inevitable rapping. Good song choice, as I have great love for folkster Steve Poltz' version with the same kind of 'break'... anyhow I think she did good by not going too crazy with the rap. The thing I wonder is will everyone who likes that she is unique and vote for her cover the people will say 'I'm not voting for that annoying rap lady." I guess we find out tomorrow.

Dexter Roberts - No cowboy hat and playing an electric on Team Blake? Interesting. This did kind of feel like when you go to one of those multi-artist shows and you can tell when the end is coming by the increase in obvious talent of the later bands... a fitting closer I'd say. Surprising.

Also surprising I made it thought the whole show. *bows*

**STANDING OVATION**

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Ad break: Pikachu should not talk. Period. Yikes

Wait, what? Pikachu talks? Yes, I am watching just for that now.

ETA: yeah, no, that’s just wrong

Oh, the show. I’m glad the finally, finally fixed the sound. 

Edited by Gel