Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E04: Eric Idle, Chris Christie, Malcolm Nance, Jack Kingston, and Natasha Bertrand

• Start Topic

Guests: Eric Idle, Chris Christie, Jonathan Alter, Jack Kingston, Natasha Bertrand

EDIT:

The above was the original guest line up. Thread title edited to reflect Malcolm Nance as the substitute for Jonathan Alter.

I loved (was it Eric or Malcolom’s) line to Kingston about his being paid to spout all this nonsense.  No, Kingston should not return.  Filibustered everything and wasted a whole lot of time.

Christie was alarmingly charming.  I wanted to dislike him, but just couldn’t .  Loved his ownership of the Bridgegate scandal which, let’s face it, owndership of ANYTHING is not in the GOP’s DNA.

Edited by b2H
  • Love 12

Pretty good insight by Nance that it’s unlikely Trump got the NSA or someone else in intelligence to hack Bezos’ dick pics so that the National Enquirer, which has done Trump’s budding, to blackmail Bezos.

says it would be hard but even if they did hack, then there would be too many in government who’d know about the hack and the pics.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Christie claimed that Trump has been held to a different standard by "the American people" but let's be clear: Trump is not held to a different standard by all American people. There are plenty of people who call him out for all the vile things he says and does. It's Trump's fans - the people who enthusiastically show up at all of his rallies and clap and cheer at all the awful things he says. Those are the people who hold him to a different standard, and those are the people who put him in office. And those are the people Republicans like Christie are terrified of which is why they are never called out. Don't put this on all of us, Gov.

Kingston is just insufferable. I'm glad Bill pointed out he deserved a trophy for bullshit spin. Bringing up Kavanaugh in the discussion about the Virginia governor was a false equivalency, obviously. There's a big difference between a state governor and a Supreme Court justice. The latter is appointed for life and will decide laws that affect the entire country. He's also a lot harder to get rid of. And sure, he was "thoroughly vetted" - by Republicans. Who, by the way, warned Trump there might be a problem with him. So zip it, Kingston.

He also kept bringing up jobs like all Republicans do because they've got nothing else up their sleeves but the reality is that regular working class people aren't feeling the benefits of Wall Street gains. Just because you have a job doesn't mean you can make ends meet so that's another bullshit statistic.

Great final New Rule though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
6 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Chris Christie always surprises me with his charm and easy manner on these talk shows. I know I’m not supposed to like him but I can’t help myself.

I wouldn't vote for him for president, but I think he'd kill Trump one on one in a primary. 

I don't mind right wing points of view on the show, but that guy is just a shill. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

AAAND here comes Chris Cillizza and Chuck Todd running like idiots towards Bill and ready to nerd slap him for destroying the Both Sides™ narrative they've built their lucrative careers on!

Jack Kingston showed again why Bill should never have him (and others) on the show because of the unmitigated bullshit he spouts (but eventually will be back).

• Love 8

Jack is flat out wrong about them running on the economy. Has anyone seen in social media the middle class people posting about how they're paying more taxes now? 

Bill is right. The GOP had no policies other than the wall and they're out to get you. They're going to run on that. 

NASCAR SHADE! 

I would really like to know how regulations kill jobs and see some stats on this. 

• Love 7

Bill must have read our thread. We've been shouting down that both sides false narrative for a while now. 

I got a friend online that says that, and I'm like so who got your Healthcare with no job? 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Kingston is just insufferable. I'm glad Bill pointed out he deserved a trophy for bullshit spin. Bringing up Kavanaugh in the discussion about the Virginia governor was a false equivalency, obviously. There's a big difference between a state governor and a Supreme Court justice. The latter is appointed for life and will decide laws that affect the entire country. He's also a lot harder to get rid of. And sure, he was "thoroughly vetted" - by Republicans. Who, by the way, warned Trump there might be a problem with him. So zip it, Kingston.

Jack Kingston is just terrible -- he's little more than regurgitated talking points.

New Rule was pretty good.

Really enjoyed Eric Idle.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

What happened to Jonathan Alter?

I’ve been seeing a lot of backlash against the show since AC was on a couple of weeks ago. Especially from the far left group of people. Not that I think Alter is far left but there’s a lot of encouragement from them to cancel appearances on the show. 

The thing is that Bill is pretty much the person he’s always been and he’s always had controversial people on his show (including dip💩 last night.) As long as he keeps them off the panel, I can compensate by avoiding those segments. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 2

I was a tad uncomfortable with Bill pointing out that Eric Idle found both his wives because of images of their breasts (Wife 1) and ass (Wife 2). Eric seemed a bit perturbed as well. Seemed an attempt to tweak him as someone who "objectifies" women. No way to treat a guest! But Eric handled it pretty well and was funny throughout. 

• Love 8

Jack Kingston, whom I can't stand, was a paid political commentator for CNN -- until he wasn't.   It was reported four days ago that CNN has opted not to renew his contract.  

I thought it was very funny when one of the panelists endeavored to explain Trump's "economic miracle" to Kingston in "NASCAR terms."

Edited by millennium
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

Yeah he didn't like that at all and tried to talk over the guy. 

It is true though - the economy has been moving along for nearly 10 years. What's surprising is Trump hasn't screwed it up yet. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

I was a tad uncomfortable with Bill pointing out that Eric Idle found both his wives because of images of their breasts (Wife 1) and ass (Wife 2). 

You know what they say about Idle hands.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

It's bad enough that Kingston is a talking points shill, but the real problem is that  he's such a motormouth he won't let anyone else get a word in edgewise, which must be part of the Republican Talking Points school curriculum, since he's hardly the only one. 

I particularly wanted to hear more from Malcolm Nance, because of his security background (and wit).

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Cyranetta said:

It's bad enough that Kingston is a talking points shill, but the real problem is that  he's such a motormouth he won't let anyone else get a word in edgewise, which must be part of the Republican Talking Points school curriculum, since he's hardly the only one. 

I particularly wanted to hear more from Malcolm Nance, because of his security background (and wit).

Yeah Bill shut him down a few times because he was doing his deal

• Love 2
3 hours ago, millennium said:

Jack Kingston, whom I can't stand, was a paid political commentator for CNN -- until he wasn't.   It was reported four days ago that CNN has opted not to renew his contract.  

I thought it was very funny when one of the panelists endeavored to explain Trump's "economic miracle" to Kingston in "NASCAR terms."

That was Malcolm Nance who did the NASCAR routine, implying that NASCAR was about all Kingston could understand.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Ugggh....Bill, don't invite Jack Kingston ever again. He was pathetic. What a disgrace. Go away, Jack. And take that Cheshire grin with you. What a whiny bitch.

I stopped watching CNN for some time because of Jack Kingston. Excuse the language because I'm trying to cuss less but fuck him. Watched Real Time and was disappointed to see him there. He makes my stomach turn.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I stopped watching CNN for some time because of Jack Kingston. Excuse the language because I'm trying to cuss less but fuck him. Watched Real Time and was disappointed to see him there. He makes my stomach turn.

Never apologize. The more swear words applied to the likes of Jack Kingston, the better. >:D

• Love 8

REMINDER: Discuss only the contents of what was discussed on the show—not people who didn't appear, not topics that weren't covered, and not your personal political opinions. 

Jack Kingston was my rep for a while.  You can imagine how enjoyable that was.  He always talks over people, you can see the gears turning in his head and watch him opening his mouth wider when he's trying to jump into a conversation to railroad over other people.  When he doesn't have an actual argument he just tries to talk louder and longer than the other people hoping they won't notice that he doesn't actually make any sense.  At other times, he sits there like a frog, waiting to catch flies, all but drooling on himself.  

I'm so glad that Malcolm spanked him, I only wish he'd been able to do it more frequently.  Bill really likes to have Jack on, though, he has always said that he's one of the brave ones who will come on to argue the other side, so unfortunately, I think we're stuck with his ass.

• Love 9

Really enjoyed Eric Idle.

Actually I thought his time here was wasted. Bill spent way too much time trying to make a joke out of his wives and that went nowhere. Aside from Idle calling out Kingston as a shill paid to say other people's opinions I didn't think he was given a chance to add much.

Don't bother with Overtime, it's just more Kingston bullshitting.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, smores said:

Jack Kingston was my rep for a while.  You can imagine how enjoyable that was.  He always talks over people, you can see the gears turning in his head and watch him opening his mouth wider when he's trying to jump into a conversation to railroad over other people.  When he doesn't have an actual argument he just tries to talk louder and longer than the other people hoping they won't notice that he doesn't actually make any sense.  At other times, he sits there like a frog, waiting to catch flies, all but drooling on himself.  

I hardly ever see this guy on TV when his mouth isn't hanging open. I can't see him without thinking "mouthbreather". He's vile. I felt sorry for Natasha Bertrand who didn't get a chance to add much, although I do appreciate Malcolm Nance shutting KIngston down a number of times. 

I have to give Bill credit for hitting it on the head with New Rules. I've had this argument with friends that no, it is not "both sides". 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, littlecatsfeet said:

I hardly ever see this guy on TV when his mouth isn't hanging open. I can't see him without thinking "mouthbreather". He's vile.

I think "mouthbreather" is a fair description since, from the sound of it, he speaks through his nose.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1

It jumps out at me that New Rules was about shutting down the "both sides" thing, and yet this show was a prime example of "both sides."  Why was Kingston there if not to give us "both sides?"

I was interested in hearing more about Nance's perspective on the Northam blackface issue as I hadn't heard that particular view discussed before.  I wished they had been able to explore that more instead of wasting time with Kingston's claim that there was no blackface in in his day. 

• Love 6

Okay, I caved and watched. Why didn’t anyone tell me we got that image of the Orangutan and Trump? That shit will NEVER NOT be funny!🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣😂😂😂🤣

And Kingston is a fucking liar if he’s saying there was no blackface in the ‘80s. And so.much.whataboutism from his pie hole.

• Love 3
On 2/9/2019 at 6:22 PM, b2H said:

That was Malcolm Nance who did the NASCAR routine, implying that NASCAR was about all Kingston could understand.

As much as I respect Malcom and despise Kingston, that was bush league and beneath him. If Kingston had framed a comment "in NBA terms" Malcolm would have called him a racist.

22 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Okay, I caved and watched. Why didn’t anyone tell me we got that image of the Orangutan and Trump? That shit will NEVER NOT be funny!🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣😂😂😂🤣

And Kingston is a fucking liar if he’s saying there was no blackface in the ‘80s. And so.much.whataboutism from his pie hole.

The movie "Soul Man" came out in 1986.  Pretty sure there was just a little bit of blackface in that.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:55 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

As much as I respect Malcom and despise Kingston, that was bush league and beneath him. If Kingston had framed a comment "in NBA terms" Malcolm would have called him a racist.

Well, not all white people like NASCAR.  That’s mostly a southern thing, so it fits here.

im catching up while I have hbo for GOT.  I wish I’d heard the “no it’s really not both side” facts before I had a family dinner.  There were great facts, like that whole birther thing.  I never don’t laugh at the orangutan.