Type keyword(s) to search

HGTV: Now With a Lot Less "G"

• Start Topic

I need some help with finding the name of a series, there weren't very many episodes, but I liked it. Similar to Extreme Homes, but people had taken old buildings and repurposed them into homes. I remember a gas station, the owners collected cars; a firehouse, several barns, an old bank building in a small town that turned out gorgeous, I think there was an old department store too. Can anyone remember the name. I searched HGTV's website and looked at a couple of shows, but they're not the ones I'm looking for.

I think it's You Live inWhat?.

I had forgotten about that show! Thanks for the reminder.

I've always been intrigued by commercial bldgs. and churches and lighthouses etc. being used as homes.

• Love 2

I need some help with finding the name of a series, there weren't very many episodes, but I liked it. Similar to Extreme Homes, but people had taken old buildings and repurposed them into homes. I remember a gas station, the owners collected cars; a firehouse, several barns, an old bank building in a small town that turned out gorgeous, I think there was an old department store too. Can anyone remember the name. I searched HGTV's website and looked at a couple of shows, but they're not the ones I'm looking for.

Was it "You Live in What?"? It was about the adaptive reuse of old buildings. I remember the gas station, the bank, also an old missile silo, and a few churches.
  • Love 1

Honestly, I have about given up on this channel.  Every day it seems I am treated to a marathon...of reruns.  The same reruns, of the same programs, over and over and over and....well, you get it.  It has gotten to the point that I can't stand the site of those twin brothers.  How many shows do they have on?  If I see them, or Chip and Joanna, I immediately turn the channel.  I do watch some of the marathons of "Flea Market Flip" because occasionally there is a new one thrown into the mix.  If I have seen something once or twice, that's it.  I know it is not cheap to constantly produce new programming 24/7.  It is just that I would like to see a variety of the SAME shows, not one after the other.  Maybe show an episode of one of the seemingly dozens of Property Brothers, then an episode of Chip and Joanna, then an episode of something else.  I see where Chip and Joanna now have a B&B...HGTV sure seems like a cash cow for some of these people.  Good Lord, I sound like Scrooge...I will wallow in it for awhile.

Edited by Kemper
  • Love 5

The "Brothers" were on again either late this afternoon or early this evening.  Again!!!  I know, from reading the thread on the Brothers ,that a lot of people just love them. In the beginning, they were kind of fun to watch.  Now it appears they are viewed as the "sexy hunks" of HGTV.  Auntjess, I think you have a point about the new programming.  I don't see any ads for new shows with new formats/personalities.  I have to wonder how the ratings are, since you would think people would start to tune out when they see constant reruns.  There must be at least one new designer they could showcase and whose show would not cost a lot of money to produce...repurposing stuff, recycling stuff, etc.  Projects that would not need a welder, carpenter....  

I never found those brothers attractive, much less sexy. Give me Mike Holmes any day.

I don't watch this at all and haven't in years since it became all real estate all the time. I assumed they were just constantly churning out new episodes but if they're not even producing those I have to wonder if Scripps is going to abandon this channel eventually. They're trying to introduce Kraft Krap Korner (that used to be the realm of Design on a Dime) over Food Network so I wonder if they'll eventually merge them into some sort of lifestyle or "at home" channel.

I think it's quite telling that they cancelled the annual Design Stat on HGTV while it's counterpart on FN is still going strong.

• Love 2

I never found those brothers attractive, much less sexy. Give me Mike Holmes any day.

I am right there with you regarding both of your opinions. I tune into HGTV to see Chip & Joanna if there's a new episode on or one of the few I haven't seen. I like the tiny house hunting shows too. Other then those shows I don't tune in much anymore. I used to like that Flip or Flop show too but haven't watched it in a long time.

• Love 1

I'm not watching Chip and Joanna this season, either.
Chip was just so silly, and she encouraged him.
I'm mainly on DIY, but there's no new Mike Holmes, and Bryan Baeumler seems to have his wife on House of too much.
Sorry, but she pouts, and I loathe women who do that.

• Love 1

Chip and Joanna are getting old. The Bed & Breakfast thing just made me roll my eyes. I only half watched and was online while it was on. It seems like the shows that would have ended up on HGTV back in the day are ending up on their other channels. 

I saw a promo today that you can enter a sweepstakes to win 2 free nights at the B&B. Wow - what a prize! (not).

I'd never enter a sweepstakes with the prize being a super short stay anywhere. People are so exhausted from what they go through to get to their destinations that most need a time to rest and the thought of having to go home so soon after getting somewhere doesn't sound like my idea of fun. I also think less of these people that have the home shows on these channels that go on the "lecture" circuit and make people pay a lot of money just to get "advice" from them like Armando Montelongo from A&E's Flip This House who was featured in an episode of Undercover Boss. 

Edited by Jaded

The "Brothers" were on again either late this afternoon or early this evening.  Again!!!  I know, from reading the thread on the Brothers ,that a lot of people just love them. In the beginning, they were kind of fun to watch.  Now it appears they are viewed as the "sexy hunks" of HGTV.  Auntjess, I think you have a point about the new programming.  I don't see any ads for new shows with new formats/personalities.  I have to wonder how the ratings are, since you would think people would start to tune out when they see constant reruns.  There must be at least one new designer they could showcase and whose show would not cost a lot of money to produce...repurposing stuff, recycling stuff, etc.  Projects that would not need a welder, carpenter....

My sister is an "exterior designer" that is making content on You Tube. You can search Simple.Honest.Design to check her out. She is a fresh personality and she focuses on saving money, budgeting, and repurposing. She is currently doing a project with Danny Lipford and will be featured on "Today's Homeowner" sometime next year. It seems like a lot of the talent and content is being made online. Maybe cable is dying since the new generation likes to stream everything for free online? How does new talent get to the air? Do the channels scour for new talent or does someone with talent have to pitch to them? The intricacies are a mystery.

Edited by XinaMarie

I just started watching hgtv (just got the channel) and I have to agree. How many versions of house hunters can you possibly want to watch? I there is nothing else on, I will turn on the brothers but I will skip the parts where they are searching for a house. I can take no more.

New Year! New Dream House! 20 years!! Nice to see a remodel for a change. Merritt Island looks really nice. I'm not sure I was buying that bringing in a huge crane to remove the roof really saved any time since they had to manually cut the trusses and prepare the roof for removal, but whatever. They kept the exterior of the house in the traditional spirit of the neighborhood, which was nice.

I guess Linda Woodrum is out? Not that the designers have much leeway since they're locked into Ethan Allen, but the new guy seems to be following the same general style. I liked the bleached floors and understated-to-bold color palette. The huge surfing photo in the living room was nice. Not as convinced about the TV in the bedroom being perpendicular to the bed. Hope the occupants enjoy their necks perpetually cranked to the left. If they thought ahead and put the TV on a swing-out bracket, I take it back.

I can never fault the landscaping/hardscaping.

Do you think Bromstad is embarrassed to be brought in for craft projects these days?

I fast-forwarded through whatever that "Youtube sensation" segment was.

Small niggle: the online tour used to let you explore from room to room once you entered, but now you have to click into each area separately. Way to strong arm me into giving you more page hits, HGTV.

Btw, I really have a craving for some Bush's baked beans!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 1

We liked the home too. But as they toured the finished home, we pretended to be house hunters, and yelled "gut job!" with each room. I thought the designer did a better job than Linda - she always crammed too much stuff into the house. We also wondered about the included boat. It's the only brand they didn't mention. Wonder what is up with that?

• Love 1

The show really didn't spare much time for the exterior. I went through the photo galleries on the HGTV site and the boat was featured there. It's a Bryant Speranza, if you're looking to boost your product placement purchases up from the Delta fixtures, Glidden paint, Lumber Liquidators flooring, or baked beans!

I wish they had a one story home to win. I know they have had a few here and there for the homes that aren't the "Dream Home" which was nice to see. This newest Dream Home looked ok inside except for the wall in the living room. I didn't really like what they did with that.

I like the exterior of the Dream Home but over all it doesn't feel very dreamy to me. Normally I come away with a few ideas for my own home but I thought the design was puzzling.

Loved:

The surfing mural/custom wallpaper.

The green color in the master bedroom once the furnishings had been added.

Bromstad's crafts

The coral color in the guest room

The exterior of the house and driveway

Disliked:

The odd colorless formality of the open public space. The couches seemed too formal up against the surf mural.

The kitchen had no personality and the bar stools didn't work.

The tv room was ridiculous, two couches facing each other while the tiny tv was flanked by oversized lamps and plants. A couch and a chair or two would've made more sense.

The walls felt over accessoried in each room and other than the mural there was nothing that connected the house to it's location. It was incredibly generic.

I wasn't impressed with the designer and his giant light fixtures which is apparently his signature design. How could one even enter or exit the master bathtub without hitting the light?

Apparently someone was electrocuted in the boathouse during construction which is perhaps why the outside tour was cut short.

As for the blogger appearance, I felt like that was added in because there were no women featured on the show. Bromstad is fine, but the main host was annoying and even worse on the Rose Parade coverage. Did they really think this guy yelling through the hour was the best way to show this luxury home?

I wish they had a one story home to win. I know they have had a few here and there for the homes that aren't the "Dream Home" which was nice to see. This newest Dream Home looked ok inside except for the wall in the living room. I didn't really like what they did with that.

I thought it was bizarre they put the master on the second floor when the house is located in a state known for it's retirees.

• Love 2

I liked that limits were imposed by the layout of the existing house, which meant we got to see something a bit different than the standard open floorplan of new builds. Seemed like the media room was originally intended to be an office/study and was pretty small for its re-purposed use. And yes, the TV in there was totally tiny!

The laundry room is accessed through the first floor half bath, if anyone wondered where that went. There's also a nice outdoor shower space.

I did like the three chests of drawers that were pressed into use in the kitchen, but overall the room was pretty generic. Deliberately so, I suppose.

If I were living there, the first change I'd make would be to re-paint the bedroom ceilings white. Personal taste, but rooms feel like they're bearing down on me when ceilings are the same color as the walls. Well, that would be the second thing after removing all the superfluous accessories used to make the photos look pretty but that get in the way of life. Table lamps and tchotchkes blocking the TV?  Fifty throw pillows? A stool with a plant on it sitting in front of the powder room toilet? Gone! Probably put some, you know, cubbies or shelving and hooks in the mudroom instead of using it for yet another wall of art. I'd also end up screening both the main floor and master bedroom lanais because, bugs.

Nitpicking every aspect of the design? Why else watch?

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 5

I liked the chest of drawers in the kitchen too. I thought it was interesting that Bromstad claimed that idea, where were they originally supposed to go and was it just a coincidence they just happened to fit?

I thought one of the sillier things was the blanket draped in the master tub and the blankets hanging on the towel hooks by the shower. I'm sure they are thrown in to add some color, but couldn't a PA run to the store for blue towels? Who dries off with a linen throw?

• Love 1

wish HGTV would go back to using more of HGTV Canada's programming again. Bryan Baumler's had 2 new seasons of shows that we haven't seen.

I agree, although I'm not sure about Bryan.  I used to love his shows, especially Disaster DIY, because of how he interacted with the homeowners.

However, I really can't take much of his wife.  She pouts.

I do like Paul LaFrance a lot.

I agree, although I'm not sure about Bryan.  I used to love his shows, especially Disaster DIY, because of how he interacted with the homeowners.

However, I really can't take much of his wife.  She pouts.

I do like Paul LaFrance a lot.

Oy, you really should come to Canada then because we've got nothing BUT Bryan and Paul LaFrance and Mike Holmes ad nauseum. Can't stand any of them.

• Love 1

Love 'em all, but as I said, I heard Sarah Baeumler is now doing shows with Bryan, and maybe something else, because Kate Campbell had a picture with Sarah on Kate's Facebook page.

I'd love to see more of Mike's shows, doing what he used to do.  That house giveaway thing was so so, but not real Mike Holmes.
I watched Bryk for a season, but don't need more.

And I'm sick of the the Scott brothers and David & Hilary.
But you can continue to send Scott McGillivray, and we'll give you Nicole.

Deal?

Right now, HGTV is showing some Fixer Upper knockoff called Home Town. The couple's in Laurel, Mississippi instead of Waco, TX, but the beats are all the same, from the search of old homes to restore, the picturesque shots of the small town, to the goofy husband, and the wife raiding a warehouse for the perfect vintage pieces. The wife shows her updated interior designs on a sketch pad and they're in color, her "thing" seems to be mirrors, and there aren't any "kiddos", but the tweaks are very minor. Sunday at noon seems an odd time slot for new programming, so I guess this is just a tryout? I don't think Chip and Joanna have to fret about the competition just yet.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

One thing that really bothers me on Kitchen Crashers and House Crashers is the destruction of reusable cabinets, countertops and windows.  Why don't they donate them to Goodwill or Habitat for Humanity or something?  Everyone cheering while throwing hammers through unbroken windows makes me kinda sick.

• Love 5

What gets me about the window breaking, is that they never have a tarp down, and I can see feet and paws get cut by the shards.
A lot of the Kitchen Crasher cabinets seem beyond salvage.
I've seen some shows donate things, but not the Crasher ones, I don't think.

Right now, HGTV is showing some Fixer Upper knockoff called Home Town. The couple's in Laurel, Mississippi instead of Waco, TX, but the beats are all the same, from the search of old homes to restore, the picturesque shots of the small town, to the goofy husband, and the wife raiding a warehouse for the perfect vintage pieces. The wife shows her updated interior designs on a sketch pad and they're in color, her "thing" seems to be mirrors, and there aren't any "kiddos", but the tweaks are very minor. Sunday at noon seems an odd time slot for new programming, so I guess this is just a tryout? I don't think Chip and Joanna have to fret about the competition just yet.

The show was on last night before the new Fixer Upper episode. I don't know if that was a good thing because I saw a lot of those similarities.  They seemed like nice enough people, but they don't have the same on screen chemistry as the Gaines do.  The wife randomly reminded me of Robin from the first Real World: San Diego - I think it similar face structure.  I did like the end product of the house and the how resourceful they were. 

HGTV has shown at least three pilots since the summer that feel like they are trying to find a carbon copy of Fixer Upper.  It was Saving America and then another with a premise almost identical to Home Town where the husband is also a tall guy with reddish hair and a beard. I was excited for the shows when the pilots aired.  Now, they feel interchangeable. 

I hope they bring back A Sale of Two Cities. 

The show was on last night before the new Fixer Upper episode. I don't know if that was a good thing because I saw a lot of those similarities.  They seemed like nice enough people, but they don't have the same on screen chemistry as the Gaines do.  The wife randomly reminded me of Robin from the first Real World: San Diego - I think it similar face structure.  I did like the end product of the house and the how resourceful they were. 

HGTV has shown at least three pilots since the summer that feel like they are trying to find a carbon copy of Fixer Upper.  It was Saving America and then another with a premise almost identical to Home Town where the husband is also a tall guy with reddish hair and a beard. I was excited for the shows when the pilots aired.  Now, they feel interchangeable. 

I hope they bring back A Sale of Two Cities. 

As I posted before, the production company that produces "Fixer Upper" found these people on Instagram and contacted them about doing a pilot, even having them meet with Chip and Joanna for advice.

I'm in MS and there was just a story on the news this morning talking about how Home Town has been picked up by HGTV for a 10 episode season order. I didn't see the pilot that aired in January but might try to catch it if HGTV reruns or see if it's coming up so I can record it. Maybe the couple from the show happened to be too excited for words but the clip they showed this morning of them speaking barely made any sense.

https://erinandben.co/2251-greenlight/

Edited by Jaded

I'm in MS and there was just a story on the news this morning talking about how Home Town has been picked up by HGTV for a 10 episode season order. I didn't see the pilot that aired in January but might try to catch it if HGTV reruns or see if it's coming up so I can record it. Maybe the couple from the show happened to be too excited for words but the clip they showed this morning of them speaking barely made any sense.

https://erinandben.co/2251-greenlight/

Really? I wasn't impressed with what I saw, but pilots can be rough and shows often take time to become polished...and I guess HGTV figures they need another new program to run into the ground.

On a totally different subject, why has the "G" in "HGTV" virtually disappeared? We only see the renovation of house interiors, but no focus on the curb appeal or renovating the backyard for all these people that need space for entertaining. DIY channel has Yard Crashers, but that's about it.  Property Brothers never focus on curb appeal. Chip and Joanna at least do some fixing up of the exterior to brighten it up.

It's a little surprising that with home gardens becoming more popular since the recession, Scripps hasn't tried to monetize it by developing gardening shows (and having a proper "Pioneer Woman" on Food Network to show canning and preserving).

I wish Martha Stewart would create her own channel, even if it was nothing but her programming over the past couple of decades. "In Martha's Kitchen" and "In Martha's Garden" were way more informative. None of these shows on HGTV or DIY even bother to show the audience HOW to do any of this (and you'd think a channel that calls itself "Do It Yourself" would have instructional shows; detailed shows on renovating a kitchen/bathroom/master "retreat"/whatever room and how to build furniture).

I wish Martha Stewart would create her own channel, even if it was nothing but her programming over the past couple of decades. "In Martha's Kitchen" and "In Martha's Garden" were way more informative. None of these shows on HGTV or DIY even bother to show the audience HOW to do any of this (and you'd think a channel that calls itself "Do It Yourself" would have instructional shows; detailed shows on renovating a kitchen/bathroom/master "retreat"/whatever room and how to build furniture).

I agree that there is not enough process...it's all about the before and  after and the unexpected twist in the middle, and this goes for both HGTV and Food Network. In the latter I prefer shows like Worst Cooks because they have no choice bit to demonstrate the basics, and I find that informative and fascinating.

Edited by zentropa

"On a totally different subject, why has the "G" in "HGTV" virtually disappeared? "

I agree, Automne. I emailed HGTV on this a couple of years ago, but only got a canned response without any follow-up. Pretty much if there was anything, it usually involves cementing over a large section of the yard, adding fire pits or "cooking stations". Actual planting of living plants is an afterthought

Best head over to your PBS station and check out to see what they have on their weekend lineup.

I don't know if this show has been discussed before since I can't remember the name.  It was on one night this week and featured two hipster husband and wife flippers who do their thing in Nashville, I think.

She was gorgeous and he had a hat fetish.  She constantly mugged for the camera and he seemed somewhat calm and rational.  Is this going to be a regular series.  

I can't believe the constant marathons of reruns HGTV offers up.  I guess ratings must be up, but I can't help but feel they are taking their viewers for granted and that at some point people will just "flip" (get it?) the channel.  

• Love 1

I did see the bought the farm show. I don't see it being promoted on HGTV though.

I've just been recording it and not really paying attention where it's coming from or what time it's on, but it is HGTV --

http://www.hgtv.com/shows/we-bought-the-farm

It's a bit different. I notice a lot of the "farms" are really close to other homes and sometimes even a subdivision.  But it's nice to see something a little different.

Has anyone caught "Good Bones?". It's a mother-daughter team in Indianapolis, and they do a bit of Rehab Addict meets fixer upper.  They're pretty watchable, not a ton of camera mugging, and seem very knowledgeable and well spoken on construction and restoration.  They buy old homes, but restore them in a way that works for modern living.  And unlike Nicole Curtis, they design functional kitchens.

• Love 1

For anyone who Selling New York, I was looking out the window of our hotel in Brooklyn, and saw this building with a clock on the top, and recognized it as the penthouse condo they had trouble selling, partly because it was in Brooklyn. It's the former Williamsburg Savings Bank that now has luxury condos.