Type keyword(s) to search

HGTV: Now With a Lot Less "G"

• Start Topic

I haven't really watched much HGTV in awhile; Flea Market Flip is a kind of guilty pleasure.  But I was channel surfing last night during World Series commercials and came upon what seems to be a new show.  From Fixer to Fabulous; at least I think that was the name.

It is obvious that the network is desperately trying to find the new Chip and Joanna.  And familee.  The hosts seemed nice enough, and I am sure they are.  But they kept interspersing scenes of their kids with scenes of the couple chatting.  There may have also been pets. The couple whose house was being redone also had small children.  More scenes.  Click.  

• Love 1

I think HGTV is going for the Hallmark fan.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of the mysteries.  But "family" viewing is Hallmark's meat and potatoes.  Sweet, sappy and happy-ever-after.  It's okay, I get it.  That particular kind of programming is just not my cup of tea.  

It's no use complaining about HGTV; they are apparently very successful; they aren't going to change the formula.  But hours and hours of flipping couples; hours and hours of Property Brothers is, for me, really tired.  Hours and hours.  But I do enjoy House Hunters if they are looking in interesting areas.  Although the manufacture drama gets old...he wants vintage/she wants open concept...she wants Craftsman/he wants a city loft.  Near the bars and restaurants.  Now get off my lawn.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 10/30/2019 at 10:17 PM, txvoodoo said:

I would be so into a show that didn't go all "ooh family". Just fix up a house, please. Decorate a bedroom.  Whatever. I don't need the "feels" from a backstory.It's HGTV, not People Magazine tv.

Call me crazy, but I miss Decorating Cents.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, txvoodoo said:

I just realized it's been weeks since I watched HGTV. Am I alone? There's nothing compelling, it's all repeats from before. 

I love every iteration of house hunting shows, so I have HGTV on every day, although I will not watch the overexposed property brothers or love it or list it. Why they run marathons of reruns of the now canceled Fixer Upper mystifies me - won't watch them either. I did enjoy the design and gardening shows, but they never inspired me to do anything. But the now rare cooking shows on Food Network rarely inspire me to make a recipe. More just entertainment.

• Love 1

A former HGTV, or maybe DIY show, Leave it to Bryan, with Bryan Baeumler, is on BYU network.
I'd never have looked there, by search his name in my Uverse search, and this popped up.
Not his best show, that was Disaster DIY, but he's still nice eye candy.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, auntjess said:

A former HGTV, or maybe DIY show, Leave it to Bryan, with Bryan Baeumler, is on BYU network.
I'd never have looked there, by search his name in my Uverse search, and this popped up.
Not his best show, that was Disaster DIY, but he's still nice eye candy.

Thanks for reminding me about that station. Not long ago I re-watched Lark Rise to Candleford on that station. Of course Lark Rise is not a home show,  but an above quality miniseries. I will pay more attention to the BYU network!

• Love 1

Does anyone know if there are going to be new shows produced for 2020?  By new, I mean different hosts/formats?  Because.  During the holidays I have been searching for something to get my decorating/rearranging juices flowing.  Or at least pique my interest.

This last week (at least) the network is marathon-ing the same shows constantly.  Hometown, the show with Mina and her mother (I actually like this one), Property Brothers and Fixer Upper.  Constantly.  But I have mainly seen Hometown and Mina et al.  But occasionally I will flip the remote and see reruns of the Rocking the Block show, also the awful woman from Chicago.  And now there is a familee show from Arkansas?  Fixer Upper clones.  Is there any sense that the flip shows have worn out their welcome?  That the network can grab onto another upcoming trend, capitalize on it and run it into the ground.

Sometimes I will happen onto a Flea Market Flip marathon...which the Network seems to be phasing out.  

• Love 1

Is "My Lottery Dream Home" the one with David B?  I like him but hate the show.  So basically, HGTV is Groundhog Day?  Same shows, same themes, over and over.  I hate to sound so negative, really.  I wish one of the other networks did some decorating/gardening shows; they used to.  Christopher Lowell and others?  Maybe TLC or some such - but now they are basically realty shows 24/7.  I don't get Great American Country.  You would think that HGTV has a huge vault of shows they they could grab from once-in-awhile.  Maybe there is a problem with getting the rights to these shows.

We get the Living Well network and I enjoy some of the programming ...Lisa Quinn has a decorating show but I think it is mostly reruns; also, they show one called "Knock It Off" which also seems to be reruns.   But.  I think HGTV is laughing all the way to the bank; they seem to be hugely successful.

HGTV gave up on design shows a long, long time ago.  And garden shows before that.  I remember when their design shows used to do special Christmas decorating episodes.   I thought once TLC and HGTV came under the same ownership that they would move Trading Spaces over to HGTV and try to restart they home renovation/decorating craze.  Instead they cancelled TS.  It appears they have no intention of moving away from the Flipping Network. 

• Love 2

I liked the Dream Home this year and the decorating is pretty solid.  I even enjoyed the special because they didn't make it into one big commercial likes it's been in the recent past.  Yes, everything is sponsored, but they did it mostly by showing boxes or how things worked instead of screaming sponsor names over and over again.  Well done!

• Love 1
On 10/3/2018 at 6:55 PM, catrice2 said:

Hi I'm looking for a super watch her here. I don't have a lot to give but there is a show that came on possibly in the 90s or late 80s on HGTV and it was a dark haired guy that will show you how to decorate an apartment or a rental property, usually in the apartment with ideas of what to do if you couldn't make permanent changes. I can't remember what the name of that show was

Chris Lloyd? The last name seems a little off but I am not sure how off.

I am watching One of a Kind and what the hell is with Grace’s designs? Music wallpaper on the fireplace? Love letters on the wall? She is not really a good designer to be honest 

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

I am watching One of a Kind and what the hell is with Grace’s designs? Music wallpaper on the fireplace? Love letters on the wall? She is not really a good designer to be honest 

I made it through about 10 minutes of one of her shows. We complain HGTV doesn't have design shows anymore and they give us this crap.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

It seems her "designs" are very ...well, specific.  I was looking forward to this show; I thought they had finally found a great decorating/design show.  With no flipping.  Has the squealing by the homeowners (well, usually the wife) bothered anyone but me?  Makes my ears hurt.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Kemper said:

It seems her "designs" are very ...well, specific.  I was looking forward to this show; I thought they had finally found a great decorating/design show.  With no flipping.  Has the squealing by the homeowners (well, usually the wife) bothered anyone but me?  Makes my ears hurt.

I would have been very upset if I see love letters on the wall, love letters are very personal and I do not want family, friends, and children reading that! 

• Love 2
On 1/16/2020 at 2:16 PM, chessiegal said:

I'm looking forward to Unsellable Houses. I hope it's like Buy Me that was on Canadian HGTV.

Just caught a couple of episodes. Does it have its own thread?

• Love 1

I got an email this morning from HGTV regarding this weekend’s programming. They are going to be marathoning certain shows to make all of us feel better in these times. But. They are the SAME shows that they continually marathon every fricken day. With the exception of Flea Market Flip- which hasn’t been on for awhile. Just think - hours and hours of The Brothers, Chip and Joanna, Hometown, Love it or List it, etc. I wish I could see a spreadsheet that displays how many times a good many of these shows have been on.

Here’s a thought - how about opening the vault of shows that haven’t been seen in awhile. I cannot believe they are bragging about this and think they are doing something innovative.

I am not a big fan of the schmaltzy Christmas movies on Hallmark; but they sound better than what HGTV is doing. Because Hallmark is marathoning these movies this weekend. 

I know I am sounding grumpy; too much time spent inside this week. But I would expect something a little better and entertaining from this network.

• Love 1

Two unrelated thoughts:

-I follow Martha Stewart on Instagram. She posted that she is working on a gardening show for HGTV. A gardening show.

-I don't understand why HGTV U.S. doesn't play more of HGTV Canada content instead of eleventy billion episodes of House Hunters (Mexico Life, Bahamas Life, Lakefront Bargain Hunt, etc. are all just versions of House Hunters). I have been enjoying Renovation Island that is now on HGTV U.S. after playing in Canada a year or two ago. I think they are finally playing it in the U.S. because they are short of content due to Covid. It's a pretty good show, and at least something different. I think Sarah Richardson has had a couple of shows in Canada that never played in the U.S. She is one of the better HGTV designers, IMO, so I'm not sure why they stopped featuring her in the U.S. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I've been watching three HGTV shows lately which seem new (I get them through unspeakable ways, so not sure when they were actually on):

- Scott's vacation house rules (I believe from HGTV Canada). Eye-candy Scott McGillivray helps owners that want to turn their (usually very dated) vacation home into a profitable vacation rental. Most houses are in absolutely stunning lakeside locations (makes me want to visit Canada) and the makeovers are usually well-done, although the whole thing becomes a little gimmicky after a while. I've seen 10 episodes, don't know if there is more

- Design at Your Door (or "how can we still make TV shows during lockdown?") from HGTV US. Homeowners are helped remotely by some of HGTV "star" designers to makeover a problematic room in their house. The designers interact with the homeowners by video and send them items through home delivery. Everything is supposed to be self-filmed by the homeowners, but I have some doubts sometimes. I have found 5 episodes, watched only two. There is a lot of fake enthusiasm but it's interesting to see what can be done by people in their own home, assuming they really don't get any outside help for the work (they shouldn't). 

- Hot Mess House (lockdown show, take 2), also HGTV US. Cassandra Aarssen, an "organizational expert" (hello, Mary Kondo) helps people to declutter and organize some of their messy spaces. Advice is also given remotely and people do the work themselves. I have found .3 episodes and watched one. Being a messy person myself this is somewhat inspirational and more relatable than Mary Kondo, the basement clean-up in the first episode was truly spectacular.

A bit of a change from House Hunters!

Edited by Sarnia
  • Love 1

Don't you mean, bit of a change from Home Town?  I swear they run it 24/7.  The guy's voice bugs me and the woman is sappy.

I did see a new show but didn't get the name of it.  People write in with DIY problems they have encountered, and a professional shows them how to do it correctly.  The crazy thing was that one of the professionals was Wendell from Survivor!  He is an actual furniture designer and showed someone how to properly make a bench.

• Love 1

meep.meep... I agree with your assessment of Home Town.  The show is okay but it has been on so much, hour-after-hour, that I just cannot bring myself to ever tune in again.  Then again, that is the way I feel about a lot of the shows at this point.  But there are a few new shows that I haven't seen yet, so they may be fun.  Then again, I have basically given up on tuning in.  I did read that ratings are up; so apparently people love the line-up. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, meep.meep said:

These must be the same people who tune in for the same programs decade after decade during the PBS pledge drives!

Yes!  Susie Orman shilling something; doo-w** music (and I come from that generation); concerts (especially the one with - is it David Foster?); Yoga.  Although the yoga one hasn't been run for awhile - and that was one that I enjoyed.  

• Love 2
16 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

What?? Your user name is SARNIA!

I didn't know it was a place in Canada 😀 I chose this user name because it's the roman name of the island of Guernsey (Channel Islands in Europe), a place I really like. Now I really have to visit Canada!

• Love 2

I don't think Sarnia the town is any great shakes, but it is on the lovely and perpetually blue Lake Huron. It's where we usually cross into Canada, as it is usually faster to get to Niagara, Toronto, etc. from where we live. Of course, god knows when we'll be able to do that again 😞 but I highly recommend a visit!

• Love 2

Last year I opened the HGTV Go app and was surprised to see all the shows you could access - lots of shows no longer in production and aren't being rerun. I opened it today to look for a show, and the selection was greatly reduced to less than 2 dozen shows. I suppose they might have them available on Discovery+, but I don't even want the 1 month free trial to find out. If anyone is using Discovery+ I'd be interested to know if shows that are no longer airing even as reruns are available on the streaming service.

4 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

I believe they have the last 2 seasons of room by room.

They also have Gardening by the Yard on there.

Is there something you are looking for?

I'm looking at it now and I don't see either of those shows. I don't think they moved them to Discovery+ because I checked what shows were available there and the old shows aren't there either. I was just wondering where they went. Stuff like My House is worth what? and so on.

• Love 1

I tuned in yesterday and lo! and behold! There was a Boise Boys marathon.  I haven't seen this show in ages and have always loved the dynamic between the two hosts/guys/flippers/builders.  On the other hand, there have been marathons of other shows than run, I am not kidding you, sometimes for 8 hours.   Surprisingly The Property Brothers have not been on as much - maybe they are putting their energy into the streaming service; but I know that won't last.

Yes, we are in a pandemic; yes, there is just not the capability to produce new shows right now.  So the network has to go with what it already has.  But with a network that has been on for perhaps two decades, there must be an enormous vault of shows.  Maybe they have lost the rights; maybe they get no ad dollars with the older shows - there would be no pushing of products from current advertisers.  I have taken to watching The Oprah Channel on maybe Sundays for House Hunters.  Different people every half hour!  Winning.

• Love 1

I have a question about the HGTV Go app/channel on Roku. It used to be you would only have to set up the app/channel once. A message on the TV screen would generate a code and the website to enter the code. After entering the code (and confirming you subscribed to a cable package that included HGTV), you would be able to watch HGTV shows via Roku. It used to be you only had to do this once and you were set. Now the HGTV Go app/channel asks me to constantly go through this process. Is anyone else having this problem? If you were able to solve it, what did you do to prevent this from happening frequently? 

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Edited by Sarah 103

I've run into the same problem for the past couple of months. Even if I  access the app more than once on the same day. The funny thing is I can still save shows to watch for later, but they have that lock icon until I activate.

I wonder if it's being done on purpose so we get so frustrated that we sign up for Discovery+. If so it's not gonna work LOL.

• Love 1

It occurs to me that the rerunning and marathoning on HGTV could be deliberate; especially, from what I read on this board, that the network does have a vault of shows that you can access on their App.  They are thinking that we will get fed up and subscribe to Discovery+ so we can see other shows, plus the new ones.  I am probably being paranoid and/or overthinking.  But it seems that now the network we have always watched is designated to be the red-headed step-child to the new Discovery streaming service.  I do think it will be interesting to see what happens.  

On 3/17/2021 at 3:16 PM, Kemper said:

I am probably being paranoid and/or overthinking

I don't think you are at all. Although FN apparently backtracked on putting Robert Irvine's new shows exclusively on Disco+, I think that's the long term strategy. You want the good stuff, you're going to have to pay for it.