Type keyword(s) to search

HGTV: Now With a Lot Less "G"

• Start Topic

So, tonight at 10 pm I expected to see House Hunters. Instead some stupid show called The Laundry Guy. Mr. Google tells me this is part of their original new programming that will be on Discovery+. And here it is on regular old cable HGTV. If this is the indicative of the quality of all the exclusive new programming on Discovery+, it's not worth a penny, let alone $4.99 a month.

• Love 1

So tonight is a premiere of a Discovery + show called The Laundry Guy. Yep, 30 minutes of a guy helping folks get stains out of various items (baby quilt, silk boxing jacket.) 

1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

So, tonight at 10 pm I expected to see House Hunters. Instead some stupid show called The Laundry Guy. Mr. Google tells me this is part of their original new programming that will be on Discovery+. And here it is on regular old cable HGTV. If this is the indicative of the quality of all the exclusive new programming on Discovery+, it's not worth a penny, let alone $4.99 a month.

Hee! Who thought this was a good idea? Oh, now he’s making potato candy! Surely this is a parody show?

• LOL 2

I'm a laundry hobbyist, and am the person my friends call when they need to get a stain out.  So when I was looking through the onscreen grid for House Hunters and saw The Laundry Guy, I thought, "Yes!"  Then I watched it, and I know, "No!"

I don't give a shit about the back story.  I want 30 minutes of things like how to recognize that an old stain is oil based, which was news to me, although I'm just a stain-getter-outer not a preservationist, so I usually know what it is that caused the stain.  But it's something to have in the recesses of my brain. 

It was very satisfying to see the nicotine and dirt come out of that silk jacket, and his handling of the patch bleeding was instructive. 

But I hate it when advice givers won't give details.  Use a "stain remover."  Which stain remover?  An oily one, he says.  Which one is "oily"?  Spray & Wash seems oily now that I think about it, but is that what he's talking about?  He says to use "Laundry soap."  That would bug, but I'd bet my bottom dollar he's using Fels Naptha, but the average person wouldn't know that. 

And he really lost me on the potato candy he loved when he was a kid.  Not only was it wildly out of context (he didn't dribble the peanut butter on his clothes), let's just say that his particular silhouette didn't make me want to rush out and try it, for fear of the consequences.  If I want to get fat, I already have an arsenal of tried-and-true tools that I know I love.

I suspect that any of the cleaning content could be found on youtube, but I don't watch youtube videos and am always up for a TV show that curates content.  I've learned a lot of things serendipitously over the years, that I wouldn't have found out if all my stain removal issues had been resolved by typing "how do i remove ketchup from a cotton shirt" in a search bar.  So a general show like this would be right up my alley.  But definitely not this show. 

• Love 2

I’m sort of enjoying Everything But The House on HGTV hosted by Lara Spencer. It reminds me of the old beloved British show Cash In The Attic. Lara brings two appraisers with her to someone’s home to find items of value which are auctioned off. The proceeds go to whatever purpose the HO has earmarked the funds for. So far, the total auction proceeds on each episode have been very nice indeed. But you can tell when Lara and her sidekicks start going through the house that there’s good stuff and the ancestors have traveled and are well-connected. The best part is the episodes are only 30 minutes long, so it moves along. Of course it’s an online auction, not in person. 

• Love 2

There is a marathon on this morning (of course there is) of a show I had never seen.  I had high hopes when I saw the title...”No Demo Reno” whose host(a woman) had an impressive head of red hair.  I figured that finally there is a true design/decorating show that so many could relate to.

Turned out that they tore out cabinets, counters, tubs, showers, etc.  I have to wonder what constitutes “no demo” with shows at this point.  Plus the host made my remote finger twitch. I wonder if this program will be renewed and put on the regular rotation.

• Love 2

@Kemper, just FYI, there is a forum for this show under the Other Lifestyle Reality listing of shows. I agree that the title is a bit misleading regarding demo but she doesn’t annoy me as much as I thought she would. The comments on the show’s forum are generally favorable, not glowing, but favorable. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

@Kemper, just FYI, there is a forum for this show under the Other Lifestyle Reality listing of shows. I agree that the title is a bit misleading regarding demo but she doesn’t annoy me as much as I thought she would. The comments on the show’s forum are generally favorable, not glowing, but favorable. 

I would watch this again...because no “family drama/cuteness” ... 

1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Maybe around the same time that "price point" became the new "how much is it" ... Man Cave instead of den...potting shed became tricked out She Shed.  

No. Those things have been around for years. The dropping of master bedrooms is recent. I assume it's to drop any hint to slavery.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I assume it's to drop any hint to slavery.

I'm cool with updating our language in that way. We have a lot of remnants of past bad behaviors still in our language. 

Anyway, half the time it's the "mistress bedroom" now! "Owner's suite" is good, too - I'm looking at house listings these days to move, and I'm seeing a lot of that. 

(I know, I haven't been around much. It's still been a tough year. I'm getting through it ok-ish). 

• Love 6

With the holidays coming up, I was wondering if the network would have a special or two on decorating? As “affected” as Martha Stewart can be, she has a pretty good-natured sense of humor; and she used to do holiday decorating on her show. The short series she had on the network this past year - mostly on gardening - was pretty good. And I do not garden! It would be a nice change-up in the programming. I mean - just one special?

On 10/26/2021 at 6:56 AM, Kemper said:

With the holidays coming up, I was wondering if the network would have a special or two on decorating? As “affected” as Martha Stewart can be, she has a pretty good-natured sense of humor; and she used to do holiday decorating on her show. The short series she had on the network this past year - mostly on gardening - was pretty good. And I do not garden! It would be a nice change-up in the programming. I mean - just one special?

Speaking of which…..HGTV premiered a Martha Stewart hosted show, “Table Wars”’ last week. Designers compete to create tablescapes. We taped it on a whim and based on a favorable article in a local paper. Well, my girlfriend really enjoyed it, but now it’s disappeared off the HGTV schedule! It didn’t seem to be a teaser airing for a Discovery Plus series and it’s still shown on the HGTV website, but no upcoming airing for any episode.

Has the network had any Christmas-themed shows? I don’t mean “competitions” and House Hunting themes. They used to do holiday decorating shows with great ideas; some pretty basic. I figured since Martha Stewart had the gardening show last year that maybe there would be a holiday special.

Every time I turn the channel on,  it is same-old-same-old.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:26 PM, Kemper said:

Has the network had any Christmas-themed shows? I don’t mean “competitions” and House Hunting themes. They used to do holiday decorating shows with great ideas; some pretty basic. I figured since Martha Stewart had the gardening show last year that maybe there would be a holiday special.

Every time I turn the channel on,  it is same-old-same-old.

You know I actually dont recall any real holiday shows, just one-off special episodes of the usual filler series that are always on. 

• Love 1