Type keyword(s) to search

HGTV: Now With a Lot Less "G"

• Start Topic

Broken record..again.  I was having my morning tea and newspaper while trying to avoid the news shows.  I came upon a Christmas edition of Master of Flip.  I missed the first part, but it was about having a Christmas party at their house.  Their kids are on, helping to decorate.  Yes, everything is staged; yes, they can both be full of themselves.  BUT.  It was a Christmas show!  Shows some decorating...building gingerbread houses, putting up lights with kids.  And yes, things are a little over-the-top.  BUT.  It is a Christmas show!  Why has the network buried it at 8 am on a Monday morning?  THIS is the problem.  I would love to see some Christmas decorating specials..Thanksgiving-themed decorating specials...Fall decorating specials...Spring/Easter... etc.  And NOT flipping a room for the holidays.

• Love 1

I have to wonder if HGTV had no inkling about the split six months ago of their Golden Couple of Tarek and Christina or did they follow the TLC, A&E playbook and just have them fake being a happily married,monogamous couple who actually lived in the same house with their kids but hoped everyone else wouldn't get wind of what was really going on? I'd like to think the network was genuinely ignorant but it seems too many folks were in on the 'secret' before it hit the 'Net so I have my doubts.

5 hours ago, Blergh said:

I have to wonder if HGTV had no inkling about the split six months ago of their Golden Couple of Tarek and Christina or did they follow the TLC, A&E playbook and just have them fake being a happily married,monogamous couple who actually lived in the same house with their kids but hoped everyone else wouldn't get wind of what was really going on? I'd like to think the network was genuinely ignorant but it seems too many folks were in on the 'secret' before it hit the 'Net so I have my doubts.

HGTV had to know. I find it hard to believe Tarek and Christina could fake it for their show producers and crew. Didn't HGTV's statement say something about respecting the couple's privacy?

• Love 1

Even the Dream Home is a flip.  I'm shocked they didn't have Joanna Gaines do the interior.  I do think it says something that 2 of their past major sponsors (GM and Ethan Allen) are gone this year.  I'm guessing they are trying to reach a younger demographic but putting cheap furniture in and saying it's worth 1.7 million is dumb.  Velvet sofas and plaid bedding also makes no sense on an island in Georgia.

On 1/1/2017 at 9:26 PM, scenicbyway said:

Even the Dream Home is a flip.  I'm shocked they didn't have Joanna Gaines do the interior.  I do think it says something that 2 of their past major sponsors (GM and Ethan Allen) are gone this year.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Different sponsors! That rocked me back. Since when does HGTV change? Like, who got pissed at whom? Did Wayfair really think this show that nobody watches any more would be good exposure for their cheap furniture? The show dumped designer Linda Woodrum a couple of seasons ago but I don't remember if this was the same guy from last year. At least Delta is still hanging in. Go, little faucets!

Southern beach town. Jeez, we haven't seen that before.

Nitpicks coming! The exterior looked like a mish-mash of styles and I hated the front porch. I assume there are different thicknesses and coatings for cork flooring, but that stuff scratches really easily and seems ill suited for a home gym. There were too many different wood colors and textures in the living room. A walk in closet with an entire long wall given over to art -- put some damned shelving up. The master bedroom was my favorite.

Internet star, ugh.

Just wondering, but I don't get why so many people on flip shows say their favorite day is demolition. It always looks like tiring, dirty, hot work to me, the purported joy of smashing things notwithstanding.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:26 PM, scenicbyway said:

Even the Dream Home is a flip.  I'm shocked they didn't have Joanna Gaines do the interior.  I do think it says something that 2 of their past major sponsors (GM and Ethan Allen) are gone this year.  I'm guessing they are trying to reach a younger demographic but putting cheap furniture in and saying it's worth 1.7 million is dumb.  Velvet sofas and plaid bedding also makes no sense on an island in Georgia.

I'm applying twice every day. We honeymooned on St. Simons having been there many times, and gave serious thought to retiring there. We'd find a way to make it work.

On 1/1/2017 at 8:26 PM, scenicbyway said:

I'm entering because they have a cash option for over $1 million plus the car. That'd buy a whole lotta home here in Texas, with decor I like. :) 

14 minutes ago, txvoodoo said:

I'm entering because they have a cash option for over $1 million plus the car. That'd buy a whole lotta home here in Texas, with decor I like. :) 

Are they still doing the "let's surprise the winner!" show? That's why I don't enter any more. I would be in my tatty housecoat with unbrushed hair, and nobody needs that.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, lordonia said:

Are they still doing the "let's surprise the winner!" show? That's why I don't enter any more. I would be in my tatty housecoat with unbrushed hair, and nobody needs that.

Not to mention, that having seen too many folks lives RUINED by being put on 'reality' TV, I wouldn't want to give them or any other network the means to shoehorn me doing anything more than saying 'THANK YOU!' on camera (which so many of those contests have in the fine print that one agrees to have one's likeness,etc. put out there any way the networks want JUST via entering the contest).

I don't get why all through the Christmas season and afterwards, the network has continuously shown promos of Tarek and Christina interacting with each other as though they're still every bit as happily married and crazy about working  together as we first imagined.  It's been quite a few weeks since their split has been revealed (and the network's already said that this will be the last year of the show) so what's the point in showing these promos? How about just a blurb mentioning when the show's on with no commentary whatsoever re how they may interact on/offcamera for those viewers still interested in watching?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I don't get why all through the Christmas season and afterwards, the network has continuously shown promos of Tarek and Christina interacting with each other as though they're still every bit as happily married and crazy about working  together as we first imagined.  It's been quite a few weeks since their split has been revealed (and the network's already said that this will be the last year of the show) so what's the point in showing these promos? How about just a blurb mentioning when the show's on with no commentary whatsoever re how they may interact on/offcamera for those viewers still interested in watching?

I'm guessing it's airing because a majority of people who watch have no idea they have split. The majority of viewers aren't reading these forums. JMO.

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm guessing it's airing because a majority of people who watch have no idea they have split. The majority of viewers aren't reading these forums. JMO.

They've made the grocery store checkout lines now.  I saw headlines about them in tabloids yesterday at Publix.

6 hours ago, auntjess said:

They've made the grocery store checkout lines now.  I saw headlines about them in tabloids yesterday at Publix.

And how many of the million plus viewers have seen the headlines? My majority stands. HGTV knows their audience.

13 hours ago, Blergh said:

I figured they have quite a bit in-the-can and will continue to use what they have. It's kind of a reality-show thing. RealityTeeVee vs reality in real time. I've noticed same with HO-shows. Though nothing this dramatic!

I was surprised to see their troubles splashed all over the grocery checkout tabloids and magazines. And I saw an item on at least one of the Access/ET type shows. I had underestimated their popularity.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

I figured they have quite a bit in-the-can and will continue to use what they have. It's kind of a reality-show thing. RealityTeeVee vs reality in real time. I've noticed same with HO-shows. Though nothing this dramatic!

I was surprised to see their troubles splashed all over the grocery checkout tabloids and magazines. And I saw an item on at least one of the Access/ET type shows. I had underestimated their popularity.

That makes some sense, NewDigs. However; do they think showing them will somehow reap benefits that will overcome viewers considering the network to be laughingstocks and/or hypocrites? I suppose it's cheaper in the short run than just giving the plugs back to Tarek and Christina to use for their own home movies or dart boards.

7 hours ago, Blergh said:

That makes some sense, NewDigs. However; do they think showing them will somehow reap benefits that will overcome viewers considering the network to be laughingstocks and/or hypocrites? I suppose it's cheaper in the short run than just giving the plugs back to Tarek and Christina to use for their own home movies or dart boards.

I almost have to think they're counting on viewers who either don't care or don't know. 

We watched T&C's show because we like real estate and it was a half hour show. And it didn't involve people who HGTV decided were huge personalities. Tired of PropBros, Chip and Joanna wear me out and it seems like that's about all that's on anymore. Endlessly. 

I felt bad for T&C. I hope Tarek is okay. But it doesn't keep me from watching. The repetitive nature of property problems, the really high end properties and all of that gray has turned me away more than their personal issues.

I honestly believe that each of the shows that offer the homes as a prize are a complete sham.  The recent Smart Home was in my town.  I was super excited because it was close to where I live and my kids school.  I applied twice a day every day with the hopes of winning.  No dice.  Not really a big deal until I see the so-called winner talk about how her daughters don't know which bedroom they want.  Even that didn't seem bad until the Parade of Homes and guess what house was for sale?  Yes, the Smart Home.  Needless to say I wanted to see how this home looked since I had fantasized about living there.  The home is okay, there were a few things I didn't like such as the steps inside the house seemed really narrow.  There was a lot of areas that were open space.  For instance there was a door inside the nursery that led to an attic like space.  It was huge, they could have turned that into a play room or a game room.  Then the space on the lower level, there was a basement area that was super creepy and behind the tv in the tv room.  

34 minutes ago, marigirls said:

I honestly believe that each of the shows that offer the homes as a prize are a complete sham.  The recent Smart Home was in my town.  I was super excited because it was close to where I live and my kids school.  I applied twice a day every day with the hopes of winning.  No dice.  Not really a big deal until I see the so-called winner talk about how her daughters don't know which bedroom they want.  Even that didn't seem bad until the Parade of Homes and guess what house was for sale?  Yes, the Smart Home.  

I regularly enter to win those homes and, honestly, if I won, I'd sell it.  I would go on air with HGTV and seem gung ho, but there have only been one or two of all their houses that would be ideal for my lifestyle.   (I HATE open concept.)

• Love 4

Absolutely. I enter and I'd sell. 
If it were in a place my family might want to visit, we might visit it once of twice, but I think for most people, unless you're very well fixed, maintaining a second home would be too expensive.
I don't think that reflects on HGTV or DIY for the blog cabin, because they want to showcase their designers, and get people interested, but for instance the latest Urban Oasis was in Ann Arbor, and I can't imagine that many people from elsewhere would want to move there.

• Love 3
On 1/9/2017 at 7:04 PM, txvoodoo said:

Right? I'd love to see them do a really accessible home, for seniors or those with disabilities. 

I agree- and why they haven't done one for a disabled vet and family is beyond me unless they truly don't believe these folks would be 'photogenic' enough for their audience.

• Love 3

More and more of us will be needed accessible housing as we continue to live longer. Knees give out, shoulders ache. Vision decreases. We need homes with wide enough passages to get a walker or wheelchair through. We need a bathroom sink low enough to reach. We need cabinets with fittings so we can reach the contents safely. Showers with no edge.

Mike Holmes did some homes with these features. They don't have to look like a rehab or nursing home. They can be very stylish. 

11 hours ago, Blergh said:

I agree- and why they haven't done one for a disabled vet and family is beyond me unless they truly don't believe these folks would be 'photogenic' enough for their audience.

Some channel, maybe a Discovery one or maybe the one that does those awful Las Vegas flips, occasionally does a show remodeling homes of disabled veterans.
It's pretty much sponsor-driven, but hey, they give what's needed.
If I see it again I'll tell you the name and place.

I think this is what I saw, but if you google build homes for veterans you'll find some projects.  (I searched for that + Minnesota, because I remembered that where the shows I saw were.)
The show was Operation Build on the History Channel, and the link may or may not load, because of a security certificate.
http://www.operationbuild.tv/becker-furniture-world-furnishes-hope-special-operation-build-series-history-channel/

Edited by auntjess

"This Old House" did a build for a disabled vet, while featuring other homes which featured handicapped friendly items.. I think they also did one for an older couple that had features builot in so the couple could stay in their home as their mobility decreased. The feature I remember is an empty "shaft" where an elevator could be installed to get to different stories. Recently on "Ask This Old House" they retrofitted an elevator into the home of a woman who had adopted a disabled young personl.

Edited by chessiegal

With the possible exception of Mike Holmes, these shows everyone's mentioned were NOT on HGTV. Moreover, the network itself so far has NOT sponsored a home give away for   disabled vets or other folks with physical challenges who could use a practical abode but would likely appreciate one that's also stylish. Time to step up to the plate, HGTV!

Edited by Blergh
t for c
  • Love 2

Are The Hallmark Channel and HGTV owned by the same corporation? There seems to be a sameness to their programming...very family-oriented. A lot of the HGTV programming seems to focus on couples...Flip or Flop (until it blew up)..Property Brothers..Fixer Upper..Masters of Flip (but I think the couple may be a little too snarky for the Network)..a couple of the other flip shows..even Love it or list it has a "couple" on it a .  I am not a sucker for sap, so I find a "sameness" to the shows.  Maybe it is because the shows are mostly about real estate now.  And it seems to work for them.  

10 hours ago, Kemper said:

Are The Hallmark Channel and HGTV owned by the same corporation? There seems to be a sameness to their programming...very family-oriented. A lot of the HGTV programming seems to focus on couples...Flip or Flop (until it blew up)..Property Brothers..Fixer Upper..Masters of Flip (but I think the couple may be a little too snarky for the Network)..a couple of the other flip shows..even Love it or list it has a "couple" on it a .  I am not a sucker for sap, so I find a "sameness" to the shows.  Maybe it is because the shows are mostly about real estate now.  And it seems to work for them.  

No. HGTV is owned by Scripps Network, who also own Food Network, Cooking Channel, DIY, Travel Channel, and Great American Country. Hallmark is owned by Crown Media Holdings, which is majority owned by Hallmark Cards (thus the channel's name).

4 hours ago, Maverick said:

And they're actually quite different.   One of them barely acknowledges Christmas anymore and the spends WAY too much time on it.

Home shows don't often do holiday episodes. It screws with networks ability to recycle easily.

I got Sling tv around Christmas time, I flip through the guide, get to HGTV and it seems there's about 4 offerings, House Hunters, The Twins with all the teeth, Flip or Flop and one other that I'm drawing a blank about. So I haven't watched. I remember when HGTV was my go to, leave it on all the time channel.  That was a long time ago.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I got Sling tv around Christmas time, I flip through the guide, get to HGTV and it seems there's about 4 offerings, House Hunters, The Twins with all the teeth, Flip or Flop and one other that I'm drawing a blank about. So I haven't watched. I remember when HGTV was my go to, leave it on all the time channel.  That was a long time ago.

I'm sure the 4th is Fixer Upper - couple in Waco, TX.

• Love 1

My go to channel is DIY.  I don't understand, because it looks like  HGTV is making no new shows.
There does seem to be less Hilary and David, Love It or List IT, which is good, but they only time I watch it anymore, is when they show an old pilot or series, usually very early in the morning.

If it is the weekend, you can count on Twins or Fixer Upper marathons.  Today they have the "chirpy" Flip or Flop couple.  Nothing to see here.  lol  It has gotten to the point where I am overjoyed to see Flea Market Flip marathons..sometimes they throw in a new one.  Same for House Hunters..at least it is different couples and you can snark on the reruns.  I wish they would do more "where are they now" shows..I love seeing what the buyers have done with the houses over time.  
Even the Tiny House marathons don't make me as crazy as the Twins and the Texans.  I find I watch less and less..and that is sad because I used to have HGTV on a large percentage of the time.  I could actually watch Love it or List it if not for that awful guy who co-hosts.  I would love a show with just Hillary decorating a room/house for someone.  Love her designs..hate the fake drama and the horrible homeowners.  Other than that...lol

• Love 1

Oh Good!  A new show!  A telegenic young southern couple (I think --can't remember where they are from)..who redo old houses.  What a different concept for HGTV.  I kid.  The show looks interesting and I will give it a try.

I was just reading about the lottery-winner-house-hunting-show with David Bromsted; and people were wondering why he doesn't have a decorating show of his own.  That is probably because he does not come with a ready-made cute family.  Who knows, maybe he does and doesn't want them on tv.    

You know what I would give a watch to?  An older couple (but STILL telegenetic!) who are trying to downsize, sell their accumulated belongings of 30 years or so and trying to find a small house.  NOT a tiny one.  They could bring on battling kids and siblings who would bicker of who gets what.  Telegenically, of course.  Hillary could decorate it for them...better yet, Sara could design it.  Where is she, by the way?  Where is Sabrina Soto?  Candice Olsen? I used to like Sabrina Soto's show...of course, the "expensive" room was waaay over the top.  But still.  It was eye candy. Where is Genevieve Gorder?  Vern Yip?  Couldn't the network rotate them in and out with design/decorating shows?  

How about a gardening show for people who can't garden?  Put on a nice, telegenic(!) family who wants to plant a garden for the summer and doesn't know where to begin?  How to plant tomatoes? Zucchini?  Squash?  Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just basic.  For a small yard or in pots.  I know!  Combine it with a tiny house family!  That would work for container gardening.  Done.

Why why why can't we have nice things?  Look!  It is Saturday!  Fixer Upper and The Teethy Twins all day!  I am old.  And not telegentic!

• Love 5

I'm so sick of flipping houses. One show once a day would be ok but every time I get to this channel it's always flipping houses.  I really miss Curb Appeal and those shows where someone comes in and helps the owners make their rooms attractive for selling.  Oh - Teethy Twins...love that!  Thank you, Kemper.  I know they're nice guys (and otherwise attractive) but I can't look at them.  Those horse teeth really are weird and I'm surprised with all their money that they don't get them filed down or whatever they do with oversized teeth.

• Love 2

I cannot take credit for the "Teethy Twins" expression;  I read that description of them elsewhere on this site.  Yes, they are likable...but how many different shows do they need on this network?  They have the original one, also the "Buying and Selling" one.  And didn't they have one on during the summer?  Also, I seem to remember one were they built their house/compound in Las Vegas?  Am I imagining it?  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I cannot take credit for the "Teethy Twins" expression;  I read that description of them elsewhere on this site.  Yes, they are likable...but how many different shows do they need on this network?  They have the original one, also the "Buying and Selling" one.  And didn't they have one on during the summer?  Also, I seem to remember one were they built their house/compound in Las Vegas?  Am I imagining it?  

Nope - you're right. They have a home in Las Vegas they renovated for the show. They also renovated 2 homes in New Orleans last year (I only watched since we have family there and visit often). The NOLA homes were, IMO, absolutely horrible.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Nope - you're right. They have a home in Las Vegas they renovated for the show. They also renovated 2 homes in New Orleans last year (I only watched since we have family there and visit often). The NOLA homes were, IMO, absolutely horrible.

I watched that show.  It was a contest and someone had to judge which brother renovated his side of that duplex the best.  Both sides were not very appealing, IMO.  Why does everything have to be a contest today???

I see more and more promotion for the new Flipping Couple.  She is cute and he has a beard.  I cannot wait for the continuous marathons once they get 5 or 6 shows under their belt.  Continuous. Every weekend.  Interspersed with The Texas Couple and the Twins.  Every weekend. Continuously.  Sarcasm.  

I am so tired of seeing the same people. Continously. That I was overjoyed to see Masters of Flip on Friday morning.  And that is not sarcasm.  I don't have to see their kids, I can tune out the inevitable drama, and just enjoy the staging of the houses...every one is different.  

I know they are not everyone's cup of tea, but at least it is something besides twins and Texans.  And coming up...cuteness and beards.

• Love 2

HGTV used to show Stone House Revival with Jeff Devlin, so I was surprised to see new episodes listed for April 12 on DIY network.  Is this the show's new home now?  Anyway, for those who are interested, it looks like a new season is starting for the show.

I  caught (2) 30 minute episodes back to back starting at noon this week of a show called "Rafters" The on-line guide said they were new. It was a business of 2 couples in the Phoenix area with a business named "Rafters" that renovate mid-century modern homes. I'd never seen it before. I wonder what makes HGTV burn off new shows with no fanfare or promotion. Something they made and decided not to pick up on? Interesting.

I watched a show today that I have never seen (or heard of).  Now I can't remember the name of it..it was two guys who buy a house, fix it up and then sell it.  Flippers.  I think it was in Boise?  Boise Boys?  My channel guide won't let me go back and look.  Anyway...it was one of the best of the flip shows I have watched.  The guys were nice, not a lot of drama, and it did not involve women with soap opera hair.  It was fun to watch..hope HGTV is going to pick it up for regular rotation.  I know, like there aren't enough flip shows on. But this one was like a breath of fresh air.  One of the guys was married with what seemed to be a slew of kids and the other guy was a little rotund and oozed good cheer.  

• Love 1