Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: We Need to Talk About Lily

Such a boring episode.  I, too, never saw La La Land so Phil and Pepper were lost on me too.  The only funny line was "Okay, then it got weird" when firefighter stripped down.  I knew Lily would be into death metal as that is the "thing" with that age.  The other good line:  "She is gonna kill us in our sleep."

• Love 12
10 hours ago, chillenout said:

i loved jays reaction when he saw their mailman, him getting itchy, his panic when he realized they’re going to the vet, and him sticking his head out the Car window

Oh that was hilarious. Ed O'neil still can turn crap into gold with his acting and timing. Even though they give him so little. However, I'm just over "Gloria hates Stella" storylines, when it her was her idea and Manny's 8 years ago to get Stella. I'm surprised Stella is still alive at this point and Gloria didn't kill her and then blamed breaking a remote as a the cause. Same goes with Lily's storylines, they are just... so... bad! I know they were trying to joke that Cam and Mitch just don't get Lilly anymore, but it's been so painful the last couple of years and the actress I think is just playing herself at this point. She doesn't seem to care about anything.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, readster said:

Oh that was hilarious. Ed O'neil still can turn crap into gold with his acting and timing. Even though they give him so little. However, I'm just over "Gloria hates Stella" storylines, when it her was her idea and Manny's 8 years ago to get Stella. I'm surprised Stella is still alive at this point and Gloria didn't kill her and then blamed breaking a remote as a the cause. Same goes with Lily's storylines, they are just... so... bad! I know they were trying to joke that Cam and Mitch just don't get Lilly anymore, but it's been so painful the last couple of years and the actress I think is just playing herself at this point. She doesn't seem to care about anything.

First bolding:  True that, sister!  (or brother!)

Second bolding:  It was her idea, wasn't it?  

Third bolding:  As someone who is a special ed teacher and has worked in middle schools and has (so far) brought up two young men (19 and 21) this whole storyline is just so.....ordinary.  Your parents love country music?  Guess what you hate!   You kinda like country music and your parents love it?  You may never admit it, lol.  The popular kids love death metal?  So does Lily, at least for today.  (Yes I think too much about this.)

Bright side:  NO DYLAN!  

• Love 5

. However, I'm just over "Gloria hates Stella" storylines, when it her was her idea and Manny's 8 years ago to get Stella. I'm surprised Stella is still alive at this point and Gloria didn't kill her and then blamed breaking a remote as a the cause

It wasn't really Gloria's idea to get a dog or Stella directly....but I guess she was indirectly responsible. Lin Manuel Guillermo had to leave the dog behind after Jay crapped all over the "good doggie...bad doggie training system". Gloria was sorta letting the dog stay and Jay was taking it to the pound (after Manny got a moment with her) and then Jay had a change of heart. Just typing this out makes me realize how far this show has gone off the rails since that episode was really, really good.

Ed O'neil still can turn crap into gold with his acting and timing

AMEN to that. He was the only good part of this show.

Mitch and Cam have always been a bad couple and they have gotten progressively worse...its painful to watch their interactions. As to Lilly, it is just painful to watch-that actress is really, really bad.

Was this it for Pepper-love Nathan Lane, love the snark...will not miss the character.

• Love 9

Another episode that has a "off" feel.  It's hard to describe what I am noticing, but it may be just that the writers are drawing a blank and are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

I am sick of seeing what pathetic parents Mitch and Cam are.  They haven't noticed anything (or cared)  about Lily for several years now and all of a sudden they want to know what's going on with her?  In a show that demonstrates quite a bit of dysfunctional parenting, they win the award for most clueless.

• Love 13

I'm surprised Stella is still alive at this point 

Jay's probably switched out each Stella who has died. Gloria would never know the difference.

I liked, "I'm new to straight chummery."

Phil blows his top. That didn't last long. What a sweet guy he is.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, readster said:

I think the director’s only notes ever to the Lily actress are: you’re bored; you don’t care

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I get the feeling that since the actress who portrays Lily has such a lifeless delivery of everything that they have now shaped the character around that.

And it is a shame because that dry delivery really sang back in the day:  "Yeah and I am stuck here with two queens."   She used to be kinda funny.......

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

And it is a shame because that dry delivery really sang back in the day:  "Yeah and I am stuck here with two queens."   She used to be kinda funny.......

I always thought Lily was too stiff honestly. Not her actual personality (although the snark from such a young child got old fast for me) but the acting. 

• Love 7

I always wondered if Lilly's personality was written around the actress, and her limited line delivery. The actress can basically only do dry and disinterested, so they just wrote her that way. They just give her "your bored and dont care about anything" as her personality, because maybe thats what the actress is best at? 

Yeah, Cam and Mitch being inattentive parents isnt exactly a shocking revelation. How long until they forget this lesson?

"I’m new to straight chummery"

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I always wondered if Lilly's personality was written around the actress, and her limited line delivery. The actress can basically only do dry and disinterested, so they just wrote her that way. They just give her "your bored and dont care about anything" as her personality, because maybe thats what the actress is best at? 

Yeah, Cam and Mitch being inattentive parents isnt exactly a shocking revelation. How long until they forget this lesson?

"I`m new to straight chummery"

Yeah, and you know that's how its gone now. Whether the show gets the 11th season TPTB want to wrap it all up or not, I think the actress who plays Lilly is going to be: "Good, its over, I can have a life now." once it is all done, she honestly doesn't care and is just getting a paycheck. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mojito said:

Jay's probably switched out each Stella who has died. Gloria would never know the difference

Gloria wouldn’t notice but Jay would be too devastated to do that. It really rubbed me the wrong way when she thought he was being put down Stella and she was happily gathering her toys. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Gloria wouldn’t notice but Jay would be too devastated to do that. It really rubbed me the wrong way when she thought he was being put down Stella and she was happily gathering her toys. 

I know, I hated that or the fact that Manny just sat there as she did it. I mean, he at least hugged Jay and meant it. Gloria was about two seconds away from grabbing the wine and dancing on Stella's grave. I mean, to hate an animal that much, which honestly, it has NEVER been showed that Stella is such a drain on Gloria. She acts like the dog pees on her shoes, chews up her high priced designer clothes. Eats her well cooked meals, ect. Stella has never done anything outside of: "please pet me." 

• Love 9

Lots of stories that featured people being annoying. Jay, Gloria and the dog. Pepper and Phil. Cam and Mitch until they left puffandstuff girl. Whoever that dude was with Clare, and then Alex’s reaction. Actually, none of it wasn’t annoying. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 4

This was not the first time the writers have given us jokes about Cam and Mitch (and/or their friends) having the same interests and behaviors as girls Lily's age.

Please stop already. It says a whole, whole lot about the writers that they keep going back to "gay men are just like tween girls, tee hee hee."

And no, it is not in any way typical or normal for middle-aged gay men to follow preteen Youtube girls. Lily had stopped watching her, but Mitch and Cam were still devoted fans? That's just disturbing.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I dont know why sitcom writers think that people will find people being dicks to animals funny. Its not funny, its just super off putting, even for fictional characters. People hate people who are mean to animals, especially cute pets, so why do they try to make their likable characters do that? I've never liked how Gloria hates Stella, and her cheerfully tossing her stuff away just seemed terribly callus, both over the death of a living thing, and her husbands beloved dog. And she didnt even go back to "save" Stella later on because it was the right thing to do, but because Jay would be understandably pissed! 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

People hate people who are mean to animals, especially cute pets, so why do they try to make their likable characters do that?

Not to mention it’s celebrating her husband’s pain.

• Love 7

Jay and Stella I thought was sweet. 

I was kind of glad Lilly was not into that Youtube girl because she was annoying, for any age.  And can completely relate to how Lilly acts with her headphones always on to  My son does the exact same thing.  ANd he is a good kid, smart, doesn't do anything wrong, but trying to get stuff out of him and get him to take off his headphones is impossible sometimes. 

I just kept thinking about how much that house Pepper was buying must cost and how much Phil stood to make off it.  I know he wasn't doing it for the money, but still, even if she showed him 200 houses, may well have been worth it.  That's a good 100K+ commission I would think at a minimum.   Probably more like 200K or more. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I dont know why sitcom writers think that people will find people being dicks to animals funny. Its not funny, its just super off putting, even for fictional characters. People hate people who are mean to animals, especially cute pets, so why do they try to make their likable characters do that? I've never liked how Gloria hates Stella, and her cheerfully tossing her stuff away just seemed terribly callus, both over the death of a living thing, and her husbands beloved dog. And she didnt even go back to "save" Stella later on because it was the right thing to do, but because Jay would be understandably pissed! 

ITA!  I've written about this before.  Harming animals is treated as funny on this show - Mitch blowing up a bird house, Joe killing a chicken and a goat and Cam throwing a chicken out of  a moving car are a few examples. Gloria's hatred of Stella is disturbing and not in the least amusing.  Animals are almost never treated as feeling creatures that deserve kindness and respect.  Phil and the ducks is one of the few exceptions I can think of.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Animals are almost never treated as feeling creatures that deserve kindness and respect. 

I just saw the episode where they accidentally kill a goat at Cams farm themed party, and while it was an accident, everyone was so cavalier about it (except for poor little Joe) it was really kind of creepy! A living creature just died guys! You dont have to play TAPS or anything, but have a heart! It was all played for laughs, but I was so sad for the poor fictional goat!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I just saw the episode where they accidentally kill a goat at Cams farm themed party, and while it was an accident, everyone was so cavalier about it (except for poor little Joe) it was really kind of creepy! A living creature just died guys! You dont have to play TAPS or anything, but have a heart! It was all played for laughs, but I was so sad for the poor fictional goat!

I referred to that episode.  I found the attitude disgusting and definitely not funny.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Oh yeah your right, I caught that now @Suzn I should have caught that you were talking about that one! Its hard to keep the animal abuse straight on this show! 

That is certainly right because there are so many!

• Love 1

This was a tough one for me because I actually had to put down my cat in that exact veterinary office. Bad memories. One of the negatives of recognizing the locations they shoot at. Another one is that we got married at the same place Cam and Mitch tried to get married. Theirs got interrupted by the forest fire. Thankfully, no fire for us.

Just ho-hum for most of the episode. It did add more light to the money situation if this was real life. The commission on that house for Phil would easily be in the 6 figures. Add in that Claire is the CEO of her company. So you would think they would have no problem just paying rent for an apartment for Haley and Dylan. The whole moving in storyline blows.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Blakeston said:

And no, it is not in any way typical or normal for middle-aged gay men to follow preteen Youtube girls. Lily had stopped watching her, but Mitch and Cam were still devoted fans? That's just disturbing.

I thought she clearly was modeled on tween YouTube star Jojo  Siwa who does in fact have a decent sized adult male gay fan club. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Blakeston said:

This was not the first time the writers have given us jokes about Cam and Mitch (and/or their friends) having the same interests and behaviors as girls Lily's age.

Please stop already. It says a whole, whole lot about the writers that they keep going back to "gay men are just like tween girls, tee hee hee."

It also shows that Cam and Mitch are very out of touch with what Lilly likes and dislikes. They have been showing us this season and last season how Mitch and Cam have completely forgotten about Lilly or even paying attention to what she is doing in school or her likes and dislikes. You can't count the Spa day for her birthday last year because Lilly said what she wanted. It was Pam who was a complete idiot in how girl parties are these days. Now, granted a lot of tweens and teens don't really show or tell their parents what they are into. Many parents feel if the school isn't notifying you that grades are down or there is any behavior issues and so forth. Most parents don't pry. However, Cam and Mitch keep showing ZERO attention to Lilly or what she does most days and you can tell the writers and actress who plays Lilly have just stopped caring. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, readster said:

It also shows that Cam and Mitch are very out of touch with what Lilly likes and dislikes. They have been showing us this season and last season how Mitch and Cam have completely forgotten about Lilly or even paying attention to what she is doing in school or her likes and dislikes. You can't count the Spa day for her birthday last year because Lilly said what she wanted. It was Pam who was a complete idiot in how girl parties are these days. Now, granted a lot of tweens and teens don't really show or tell their parents what they are into. Many parents feel if the school isn't notifying you that grades are down or there is any behavior issues and so forth. Most parents don't pry. However, Cam and Mitch keep showing ZERO attention to Lilly or what she does most days and you can tell the writers and actress who plays Lilly have just stopped caring. 

I've written about this several times, but it is so awful to me that I can't stand to see this played for laughs (as is animal cruelty) on this show.  Cam and Mitch lost interest and/or seemed to not even like Lily soon after she started school.  When she was no longer little and "cute", they were done with her.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Loved Claire's sweater and Alex's top. Off to wornontv.net ...

I love Phil and Nathan Lane is incredible, so I did enjoy that story. Pepper and his clothes and living a day in the house was funny I thought.

basically any story involving Phil always seems to work, I think a credit to his acting ability more than anything. 

The others are very hit and miss. 

• Love 11
On 2/1/2019 at 11:01 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

basically any story involving Phil always seems to work, I think a credit to his acting ability more than anything. 

The others are very hit and miss. 

I think you are very correct.  He can really make that role shine and it cold easily spiral into over the top-ness.

On 1/31/2019 at 11:12 PM, Suzn said:

ITA!  I've written about this before.  Harming animals is treated as funny on this show - Mitch blowing up a bird house, Joe killing a chicken and a goat and Cam throwing a chicken out of  a moving car are a few examples. Gloria's hatred of Stella is disturbing and not in the least amusing.  Animals are almost never treated as feeling creatures that deserve kindness and respect.  Phil and the ducks is one of the few exceptions I can think of.

I agree - I have volunteered in animal rescue and find these jokes and storylines very offensive.  Why do I watch this show again??

• Love 4
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, biakbiak said:

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 10:49 PM, tennisgurl said:

Amen! This moved Gloria into the "Shrew Category" for me. I really loathe it when writers and actors think it'll be funny to be mean to an animal. 

Also, I don't care if Alex is having sex. Another big comedy premise that is tired: Nerd girl gotta have it! (Full disclosure: I married a nerd girl, and am also a nerd...or geek.)

Edited by WAnglais1
Added last bit.
  • Love 3
On 1/31/2019 at 7:20 PM, readster said:

I know, I hated that or the fact that Manny just sat there as she did it. I mean, he at least hugged Jay and meant it. Gloria was about two seconds away from grabbing the wine and dancing on Stella's grave. I mean, to hate an animal that much, which honestly, it has NEVER been showed that Stella is such a drain on Gloria. She acts like the dog pees on her shoes, chews up her high priced designer clothes. Eats her well cooked meals, ect. Stella has never done anything outside of: "please pet me." 

Stella sleeps "in the marital bed."  And gets many more public displays of affection than Gloria does.  I can see why she's jealous/resentful at least.  Even though it was her idea to get Stella, she didn't think she was bringing  a romantic rival into her home!

On 1/31/2019 at 10:23 PM, Blakeston said:

Let's hope they were really following her because they thought Lily was and they were trying to share her interests, not because they really loved the YouTuber's stuff.  I know they might have said that they did love it, but they're like the unpopular kids (as they also said) trying to fit in with the cool kid, in this case, Lily, only to get shot down for not knowing what the cool kid actually likes.

• Love 1

I could be wrong, but I thought there was a reference to Lily having a preference for heavy metal music in a previous episode? They rehash so much on this show that it’s hard to keep track. I’m sure now that the show has been renewed for another season we’ll see Goth Lily next year, because of course. 

I thought the LaLaLand bit with Pepper fell flat. Any appearance by Nathan Lane should have been so much better than what we got this episode. 

• Love 2
On 1/31/2019 at 10:49 PM, tennisgurl said:

i hate that too. some of my favorite shows have shown blatant animal cruelty. superstore and the killing of the pigeon for one. i love animals so anyone who doesn't is not very high on my list of good people. what gloria did with stellas stuff was sad. she is really not a very nice person. trophy wife for sure.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, msrachelj said:

i hate that too. some of my favorite shows have shown blatant animal cruelty. superstore and the killing of the pigeon for one. i love animals so anyone who doesn't is not very high on my list of good people. what gloria did with stellas stuff was sad. she is really not a very nice person. trophy wife for sure.

Considering that there are many animal lovers out here, it is unbelievable that animal cruelty is so often played for laughs.  Gloria's attitude about Stella makes me sick.

5 hours ago, Suzn said:

Considering that there are many animal lovers out here, it is unbelievable that animal cruelty is so often played for laughs.  Gloria's attitude about Stella makes me sick.

Followed by Gloria getting someone to tag Jay because: "He's old." or "I want to make sure he isn't doing anything stupid." At what point do you trust your spouse?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, readster said:

Followed by Gloria getting someone to tag Jay because: "He's old." or "I want to make sure he isn't doing anything stupid." At what point do you trust your spouse?

Has Gloria always been this awful?

1 hour ago, Suzn said:

Has Gloria always been this awful?

Since season 6. Hell, go back to just last season over the situation with the bathroom remodel. Jay AND Manny were warning her that she was going about it wrong and leaving things open for Joe to just walk in and get himself hurt. However, she just didn't want to admit that. Then everything happen and even Manny said: "Mom, really can't you just admit you were wrong?" Gloria went into an entire spiel like if she did that, Jay would divorce her and kick her to the curb.

Same goes when Jay had secretly video recorded her breaking remotes when she doesn't get how they work. Even going as far as her, Manny and even Joe telling her she has the wrong remotes for the wrong things. Instead of looking at them or maybe, you know checking the batteries. She breaks them and then cleans up and hides the mess. She still admitted it wasn't her. 

Same has gone with how they write Lilly now, she is always pissed off or sniping everyone now. This entire situation should have been Mitch and Cam going: "Honey, we knew this was coming and I know we don't know how to talk about this? However, please just let us know what you would like us to do because you can't stay in the bathroom all day?" Which basically is what they did at the end. How Gloria still thinks your period was about demons because she grew up in Columbia and still things that way after living in the US for over 20 years, just come on!

Edited by readster
forget a few words.
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, readster said:

Since season 6. Hell, go back to just last season over the situation with the bathroom remodel. Jay AND Manny were warning her that she was going about it wrong and leaving things open for Joe to just walk in and get himself hurt. However, she just didn't want to admit that. Then everything happen and even Manny said: "Mom, really can't you just admit you were wrong?" Gloria went into an entire spiel like if she did that, Jay would divorce her and kick her to the curb.

Same goes when Jay had secretly video recorded her breaking remotes when she doesn't get how they work. Even going as far as her, Manny and even Joe telling her she has the wrong remotes for the wrong things. Instead of looking at them or maybe, you know checking the batteries. She breaks them and then cleans up and hides the mess. She still admitted it wasn't her. 

Same has gone with how they write Lilly now, she is always pissed off or sniping everyone now. This entire situation should have been Mitch and Cam going: "Honey, we knew this was coming and I know we don't know how to talk about this? However, please just let us know what you would like us to do because you can't stay in the bathroom all day?" Which basically is what they did at the end. How Gloria still thinks your period was about demons because she grew up in Columbia and still things that way after living in the US for over 20 years, just come on!

I guess Gloria does actually demonstrate getting by on your looks alone.

Lily -  that's a whole other thing.  All we've gotten from her for several years is a dry, depressive snark.  But considering how little Mitchell and Cam have paid attention to her past the cute baby/toddler stage, she's entitled to be a depressive snarker.

• Love 1