Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Lost, Found, Fucked

Holy Shit!!  Is that the actual title of the episode?  I missed the entire 2nd half of last season and have been meaning to catch up.  I knew the show was trending more and more towads excessive language, especially Penny (Obviously I don't give a shit) but I never thought an an actual title would include "Fuck".  That's kind of wild.

• Love 1

Well thank god its not going to take all season to get their memories back! But damn that scene with Fogg and Julia, saying he finally got to be her teacher? The FEELS y'all. I can't wait for next week because Hale looks like he's gonna rock it as The Monster. 

• Love 8

Well that title pretty much sums it up.

For the briefest of moments I missed Eliot/Quentin from A Life in the Day. You know, before the monster came out. That was some pretty intense stuff. Poor lil piggy.

Margo continues to be the best thing about this show. I love her. I was a little bummed to hear the assertion that she might have to rule alone. Girl has earned some happy. 

I really enjoyed Marina and the gang trying to unscramble everything. Marina and Julia both screwed with something without understanding the consequences. I feel like Dean Fogg undersold the importance of the spell keeping them safe. 

The only downer was Alice. The Library prison is boring. They need to move it along.

• Love 5

"Can I get Elliot back?"

Damn it show, I asked for more Quentin/Elliot content, but not like this! Not like this!

Another great episode, I am so happy that this show its back. Its so quirky and strange, but also so emotional and heartfelt. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 10

Fate's a fucker, it always wins

Man, what they did with Dean Fogg this episode was just fantastic. He made me happy, made me sad, made me laugh and (almost) made me cry. It really was some beautiful work. This show is so frequently on point that I find it amazing it's coming from this network. 

• Love 12

Julia don't give a fuck.

I always low-key liked Todd, but him side-kicking for Julia has earned him a place on my top 10 favorite The Magicians characters list. I love how desensitized he was after watching Julia die a bazillion times. And when did he get dat ass? No lie, it was mesmerizing.

Hey, it's Bacchus!

That moment when Margo got her crown back... Chills. All hail King Margo!

Dean Fogg always had a snarky, dry humor to him, but the frank way he went about tying up loose ends were the funniest scenes in the episode. I didn't think Rick Worthy could be so funny.

Marina is stone cold. Seriously, that was arctic what she did to Dean Fogg. I am both terrified and awed. "Take off your shirt and make me a sandwich." The sheer royalty.

2 hours ago, Indigo Luna said:

Hale looks like he's gonna rock it as The Monster. 

He's going to be amazing next week!

Edited by steelyis
  • Love 8

I am certainly no prude but I'm starting to feel like the language is excessive.  It doesn't feel natural or organic to me, it feels like they're swearing as much as possible just to show they can.  Okay, show, great, bully for you, you can swear on a cable tv network.  Chill out already.

I miss our characters as themselves including Elliot.  Hope they can all be themselves again soon.

• Love 2

Although we were questioning why Dean Fogg made this deal with the library, I liked that this week we saw that Dean Fogg was willing to sacrifice himself to keep Quentin and the others safe.

On the flip side, I'm glad that everyone (except Eliot) got their memories back. But damn it, I am going to miss chill yoga breathwork DJ Hansel. I loved when he was learning to travel/apparate again. "HOW AM I DOING THIS?"

I loved that Todd just put on his headphones and started reading while Julia zapped herself repeatedly.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Although we were questioning why Dean Fogg made this deal with the library, I liked that this week we saw that Dean Fogg was willing to sacrifice himself to keep Quentin and the others safe.

Agree. Combined with the way he tried to protect Julia, you could see a mix of guilt from having to watch them die over and over and a soft heart buried under his gruffness. This episode put that decision in context, which I really liked. 

• Love 1

Jeez Dean Fogg. Your life was messy as hell. It was nice getting a look at what he did when he wasn't running around trying to fix the shit the gang got into. I also kind of liked the vibe with Marina. And turning him into her father? Clearly she has some issues there. Backstory on Marina 23?

I did not like Marina in the first season but I'm digging her now. I liked that she figured out who Penny was and used his traveling abilities to get around.

Impulsively undoing a spell without thinking it out and weighing the consequences? It's the Magicians way! But at least everyone got the identities back and are all together. Of course they are together with the Monster so... But hey Margo made it back! I thought she would be stuck in Fillory missing out on everything. I thought it was sweet how Quentin asked for Eliot back. I want him back as well.

• Love 7

I'm relieved they've ended the memory spell so quickly but now I'm sort of terrified they're going to kill off one of the main characters just for shock value, and I don't want to lose anyone. Not even Josh. 

It was gruesome watching Monster Eliot break Quentin's arm. 

Geez Julia, at least go get a mattress if you're going to get thrown against a wall dozens of times. Maybe she's indestructive but that still has to hurt.

But damn that scene with Fogg and Julia, saying he finally got to be her teacher?

What did he mean by that? Wasn't he her teacher 39 times? I could have sworn it was only in the 40th timeline that Julia didn't get into Brakebills. And Dean Fogg remembers all the timelines.

I still don't get what he means when he says he cast the memory spell on his students because they were in danger. He clearly meant to cast that spell before he could have had any idea they were in danger. I'll wait to see how this plays out once the others can confront him over this but right now it feels like a bit of a retcon.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Not even Josh. 

With no Josh, who would deliver lines like "It's James Earl Jones!"?

1 hour ago, daisycat said:

Hale is fucking chilling as the Monster. Seriously though. Give the man a bag of Emmys already.

It makes perfect sense that he's awesome. Elliott, underneath it all, is probably the kindest character on the show. Now take the same exterior and replace it with the polar opposite and... chilling is the right word.

• Love 10

How many episodes do we have to go before we get at least a glimpse of "our" Penny?  We haven't seen him since he ate that damned cupcake.  Surely the writers aren't going to leave that thread hanging?

I'm glad their memories are back early in the season. I worried the writers would drag it out longer.  I'm about done with prisoner Alice though.  I hope she escapes or is rescued soon.

• Love 2
(edited)

I loved Josh's reaction to regaining his memories and no longer having a huge dick.

Quentin is not always the biggest planner. He is often the one reacting (as opposed to coming up with a plan that requires more than two steps). But I liked that this week in contrast, we saw that after he got his memories back, he was playing along with the monster so that he could keep him at ease. His mistake was asking for Eliot back too soon, but I can't blame him. Knowing how Quentiny he usually is, I was surprised that he was able to hold down his panic and anxiety for so long.

Even though the monster wants to kill everyone, he did seem to genuinely like Quentin up until then. In the previous episode, he told Quentin that he was going to kill his friends in front of him so it was better if he didn't remember everything, and he said that sincerely (not sarcastically).

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Beatrice said:

I did not cry every time Fogg and Julia talked. I did not.

Oh Dean Fogg.

How much do I love that relationship? Let me count the ways.

I'm telling ya....Buffy/Giles.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Poltargyst said:

I am certainly no prude but I'm starting to feel like the language is excessive.  It doesn't feel natural or organic to me, it feels like they're swearing as much as possible just to show they can.  Okay, show, great, bully for you, you can swear on a cable tv network.  Chill out already.

Hmm... I read this and thought to myself "there was swearing in this episode?"  I guess I must hang around with a lot of potty mouths, because I didn't notice. At all. Apparently whatever level of foul language was used feels very natural to me. Heh. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

It makes perfect sense that he's awesome. Elliott, underneath it all, is probably the kindest character on the show.

I love Elliott - but I think Quentin is just as kind.  It's amazing that they both have this same quality yet such different personalities!  lol

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Hmm... I read this and thought to myself "there was swearing in this episode?"  I guess I must hang around with a lot of potty mouths, because I didn't notice. At all. Apparently whatever level of foul language was used feels very natural to me. Heh. 

The only swearing I specifically remember from this episode was Dean Fogg sayiing, "Fate's a fucker that always wins." I don't feel like there's Deadwood level amounts of swearing on this show, but maybe I just don't notice it either!

• Love 4

I dont notice that much swearing, and when it does come about, I think it seems pretty natural for the characters and the situations. Or maybe I just hang out with too many potty mouths or have seen too many Tarantino films :)

Lots of great things in this episode, but Dean Fogg really stole the show, especially as he just went about his last day super chill, talking about his various problems. "I am a functioning alcoholic, so I prefer to drink alone, so I wont be judged for my tears." I may not not agreed with a lot of his choices, but its clear he really does mean well, and he really does want to help the gang as much as he possibly can. 

Julia as Kim killing herself over and over, while Todd grows increasingly bored, at one point reading a magazine with headphones on, was just killing me, some pun intended. Maybe Julia still has her goddess powers, or its coming back? Either way, it worked and everyone gets their memories back! 

The Monster breaking Quentin/Not Quentin's arm was nasty, even by this shows standards. I freaking love Hale as the monster, and I feel like its only going to get more chilling from here on out, but I hope Elliot comes back soon, for everyone's sake. Oh the angst that shall ensue! We better get some hugs, I demand hugs!

Margo is Queen again! Now, what is Bacchus doing running around Fillory? Love that call back to him getting kicked off Instagram (some nipple thing) and his druggie parties. Also great seeing Fen and the Filory peeps again. Now, will we get to see a sloth/humans wedding this season?!

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Lots of great things in this episode, but Dean Fogg really stole the show, especially as he just went about his last day super chill, talking about his various problems. "I am a functioning alcoholic, so I prefer to drink alone, so I wont be judged for my tears."

I loved that he was so efficient tying up loose ends with various people (including when he punched the guy whose wife he slept with).

• Love 2
(edited)

Ha, I forgot to mention that the book Todd was looking at (while listening to that bright yellow Walkman as Julia killed herself over and over with the battery) was The Art of Nude Sailing.

Since Fogg had that perpetual battery, does that mean he got it from Mayakovsky?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I am still not sure how Julia was able to kill herself over and over.  Is she still a god? I thought making the keys too that away? Regardless I'm sure the show will explain it to me eventually.  Just as they will explain Fogg's decision.  

Margo is awesome, but how sucky was it that she just gets her crown back and then gets poofed away?  Do we know where he sent her?  I missed it if we did.

Poor Quentin, you could tell he wasn't sure if he should ask, but he couldn't help but ask about Eliot.  We get it baby, we want him back too.

• Love 4
On 1/31/2019 at 1:56 AM, steelyis said:

I always low-key liked Todd, but him side-kicking for Julia has earned him a place on my top 10 favorite The Magicians characters list. I love how desensitized he was after watching Julia die a bazillion times. And when did he get dat ass? No lie, it was mesmerizing.

Dat ass tho! I love Todd and have never noticed that bit of perfection before. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chrisvee said:

This show gives me all the feels.

I used to think the most tragically impossible love story was Margo/Eliot. 

But it now I think it’s Quentin/Eliot.

Quentin/Eliot/Margo needs to be a thing.

And very briefly in S1...it was.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Sister Spooky said:

Ok, so is Dean Fogg actually Marina's dad, or was the homeless man Marina's dad?

I assumed she used her dad as the template for Fogg's new life.  There's some daddy issues for sure.

• Love 2

I just want to briefly say, the low growl of "Todd..." before the commercial break when Fogg realizes that he spilled the beans to Julia/Kimber is fantastic and possibly one of the funniest short moments this show has had, made all the more funny for me by my saying it basically at the same time as Fogg.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Sister Spooky said:

Ok, so is Dean Fogg actually Marina's dad, or was the homeless man Marina's dad?

Dean Fogg is not Marina's dad.  Dean Fogg said that the spell is much easier to do when you have something to focus on (like the comic book) which also had a fairly detailed back story.  In order for Marina to turn Dean Fogg into another personality, she would have to know quite a bit about the person he was going to become so that he had a past. (At least in his mind.)  She certainly knew enough of her father's background to use as a template for Dean Fogg's "new Life", and at the same time she could stick it to him, since it's pretty clear her father had miserable life (at least at the stage we see Dean Fogg take over) and she also had some grudges with the Dean.  Win-win for Marina.  Lucky for Fogg he barely tasted that life before his old one was restored.

Not that I'm not glad that Margo is going to be with the gang.   But what was the point of Umber sending her back to Fillory to deal with uninvited Gods if Bacchus could just whisk her back to earth.   You'd think there would be more foresight into that plan. 

• Love 1

The circumstances may suck, but it was so good to see Eliot leaning against Quentin. That would make a nice little tumblr pic... y'know, without the blood spatter and knowledge of the actual storyline. I just love my boys and miss their relationship, okay?

Unless I missed something, Julia's lucky that her plan didn't permanently kill her, because she doesn't know why she didn't stay dead. We don't even know why. So if it's spell-related, then she's purposely taking away that spell's energy knowing full well that magic stops on campus after 11pm. There was zero guarantee that the battery would weaken rather than kill her and then just burn out.

• Love 1

Yes, can we get a glimpse of our Penny? I'd like to see exactly what the God of Hades offers when he decides to take an interest. You just know it won't be boring. 

This show does emotion and relationships so well. 

On 2/1/2019 at 7:55 AM, chrisvee said:

This show gives me all the feels.

I used to think the most tragically impossible love story was Margo/Eliot. 

But it now I think it’s Quentin/Eliot.

In its concentration on friendship and deep love not tied to sexual love, I think the show might be trying to show us some different ways to manage our lives. Our absolute concentration in trying to have romantic love and a sexual pair bond together might be problematic. God knows I can count on one hand people who got both even for a short period. I adore the way love, in all its depth is portrayed in this show. These relationships don't have to be tragic just because the don't always include sex. 

• Love 1
On 1/31/2019 at 2:19 AM, Poltargyst said:

Can someone explain why people are so bothered by this? Swearing does not bother me at all, and it makes the show and the characters feel a lot more realistic to me -- this is the way (most) people (especially young people) actually talk. 

• Love 3
On 2/9/2019 at 10:12 AM, AuntieMame said:

Yes, can we get a glimpse of our Penny? I'd like to see exactly what the God of Hades offers when he decides to take an interest. You just know it won't be boring. 

I hope we see him soon. I don't want to believe that our original Penny is gone. And, as eye candy, I miss my half-shirtless Penny!

On 2/11/2019 at 9:35 AM, AuntieMame said:

Penny 23 really is different isn’t he? I just know he isn’t our Penny all the time. The cast is full of pretty people isn’t it? Though I wish the women weighed more than 90 pounds. 

Yeah isn't this Penny supposed to be super in love with Julia? I wasn't picking that up this time. I mean I know he realized she wasn't his Julia but I thought he still had feelings....

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MissL said:

Yeah isn't this Penny supposed to be super in love with Julia? I wasn't picking that up this time. I mean I know he realized she wasn't his Julia but I thought he still had feelings....

I could never buy Julia and Penny as lovers in any timeline so this seemed a return to the status quo to me. You're right though, it is a dropped plot point. I think the writers made a rare misstep for this show and wrote something  "shocking" without thinking it all  way through .