Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E12: Break On Through

preeya
  • Start Topic

Tension mounts when Chef Ramsay explains to the six remaining chefs that they will go through three extensive challenges to determine which five chefs receive a black jacket. Find out which chef will be sent home.

Edited by preeya

After all of the faked tension throughout the season on whether a contestant would get their plate up on time, tonight Kanai did not get her plate up before the clock ran out (at least as the show showed us, subject to manipulation of course) but not a word about it. Other than that, a blah show. Too bad Bret is still in.

• Love 3

Bret is so gross.  Did he not bring a razor?

Man they’re all assholes.  ‘Cept Motto.  He doesn’t seem to get into the bitchery the others do in their interviews.

OF COURSE Bret has a damn eggplant tattooed on his arm.  

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I would have preferred Kenaye (sp?) over Bret. 

I didn't realize so many people hated Heather, geez. 

not sure the hate over Heather, other then people despise her eyebrows. wait, cooking talent people watchers are shallow??? NEVER. my cook has to look this way, otherwise pfffft. sam from top chep ftw if this is the dumb criteria.

40 minutes ago, Zoe said:

Whoever writes those job titles sure likes roasting Bret! Have they been doing that this whole time?

I think at one point, when Heather was doing her talking heads, it said she couldn't cook quail or duck under her name and I laughed so hard. The people behind the scenes are snarky. I love it. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Colorado David said:

not sure the hate over Heather, other then people despise her eyebrows. wait, cooking talent people watchers are shallow??? NEVER. my cook has to look this way, otherwise pfffft. sam from top chep ftw if this is the dumb criteria.

I disliked Heather on her previous season.  She and one of the guys got into some serious flirting, cuddling, in the dorm, very publicly affectionate, even though he was engaged to be married.  His fiancé visited HK when they had the family episode, and after that, he (Andrew?)  and heather went right back to their "romance."  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Zoe said:

Whoever writes those job titles sure likes roasting Bret! Have they been doing that this whole time?

"Bret: Happy"

I thought Heather would go down (seriously, she's never cooked TWO proteins?) until Ramsay criticized her on using a square plate, then I thought, if that's all he has, she's in. I hated her "Should [my presentation] be better? Yes. Is it going to win? Yes, sir. " She's like that Seinfeld episode about the guy who answers his own questions. I would rather have seen Kanae go forward; I feel like she would do more interesting things in the remaining shows, and that should be rewarded over going back to a safe place. But maybe, as someone said, she didn't finish on time. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Man they’re all assholes.  ‘Cept Motto.  He doesn’t seem to get into the bitchery the others do in their interviews.

OF COURSE Bret has a damn eggplant tattooed on his arm.  

Motto makes me laugh because everyone else is playing the bitchout games and he's all Mr Oblivious in his talking heads.

You just know that Bret could be given lutefisk and lefse in a challenge and he'd find a way to bring up Italy and his Italian heritage. 

I dislike Heather because of her personality, not her looks. I'd dislike her if she looked like Gal Gadot.

• Love 11

Bret is delusional. The eggplant, mussels tattoo made made me laugh so hard.  

Kanay barfing at Bret’s sexy dish/the man himself priceless.

heather never cooked duck/quail say what? How many piercings in her ears? She must be a witch if no one likes her!

Best episode this season.

• Love 2

im sorry food tats? NO WAY anyone so loves gd food that they get a food tat. people yes, icons yes, even speeches i can see...but goddam veggies? NO...diminishing any integrity inkwork has. hi put at goddam 7/11 tat on why not? trash (I have a haida sun god on me, way proud of it. dumb inkers can burn in h)

Edited by Colorado David
  • Love 1

I am shocked Kanae didn't make it through.  I really, really thought Gordon was going to give her a jacket too.  They had 2 jackets showing when he gave the last challenge.  Last year they had 3 in the finale.  He kept her at the end for a while.  She is far too good for this who.  Glad you went out with grace Kenae.  She actually deserved to go through in round 2 over Brett.  I just don't get Brett going through at all.  This guy brings nothing at all.  None of his dishes tonight looked good at all.  He brings no drama.  The only thing he brings is that stupid chest pounding crap from his season to this one.  His fake crying and over the top crap talk is gross.  Way to go Gordon you have this craptastic in a black jacket on your show.  It's a joke you mention anything about good/great/elusive at all.

How did this become Ariel's team?  Did I miss something to where she is running the show now?  She had a few good services and now she is queen bee?  I hope Motto wins it all.  He is the only left to root for.

• Love 5

I think Kanae is adorable, but I knew she was gone when she talked so much shit in her talking heads.

I still dislike Heather from her previous season. I'd like for her or Bret to leave next week.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I’d prefer Kanae over Bret too. I don’t mind Heather even though I know she won’t win.

21 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Then again I didn’t watch Heather’s season, so I don’t know what she’s like.

18 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I disliked Heather on her previous season.  She and one of the guys got into some serious flirting, cuddling, in the dorm, very publicly affectionate, even though he was engaged to be married.  His fiancé visited HK when they had the family episode, and after that, he (Andrew?)  and heather went right back to their "romance."  

Now I understand why they don’t like Heather.

3 hours ago, Crucial said:

I am shocked Kanae didn't make it through.  I really, really thought Gordon was going to give her a jacket too.  They had 2 jackets showing when he gave the last challenge.  Last year they had 3 in the finale.  He kept her at the end for a while.  She is far too good for this who.  Glad you went out with grace Kenae.  She actually deserved to go through in round 2 over Brett.  I just don't get Brett going through at all.  This guy brings nothing at all.  None of his dishes tonight looked good at all.  He brings no drama.  The only thing he brings is that stupid chest pounding crap from his season to this one.  His fake crying and over the top crap talk is gross.  Way to go Gordon you have this craptastic in a black jacket on your show.  It's a joke you mention anything about good/great/elusive at all.

How did this become Ariel's team?  Did I miss something to where she is running the show now?  She had a few good services and now she is queen bee?  I hope Motto wins it all.  He is the only left to root for.

Kanae is so much a better person and chef than Bret and probably Heather. Wish she made it through over them. Heather peaked too early anyhow.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Crucial said:

Ariel has been a little cocky at times but I still like her and think she is a good chef. I would be happy if she or Motto wins.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, xcrayon2215x said:

Bret's man sexy comments were a bit over the top. Hoping Motto can do this, him and Ariel are the two strongest right now. 

Over the top and totally gross. His constant talk about his deceased parents (and throwing kisses to the sky) etc. is also over the top, though I guess it's sincere. What bugs me more is his always trying to sound "ghetto."  It's something a lot of white teenagers do to sound cool, but usually grow out of well before their 30s. In a lot of ways Brett is like an overgrown adolescent. (Including his bragging about his conquests with women).

I would put Mia in with Motto and Ariel in the top group. She has been consistent all season. She's had some issues with teamwork in the dinner services, but when she's been on her own, cooking her own dishes, she's been pretty much flawless.

But in the end, this is not a cooking competition. If it's really about finding the person most qualified to be executive chef, then Ariel should win. Motta seems way too laid back to be much of a leader or manager.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Over the top and totally gross. His constant talk about his deceased parents (and throwing kisses to the sky) etc. is also over the top, though I guess it's sincere. What bugs me more is his always trying to sound "ghetto."  It's something a lot of white teenagers do to sound cool, but usually grow out of well before their 30s. In a lot of ways Brett is like an overgrown adolescent. (Including his bragging about his conquests with women).

I've always taken Bret's mannerisms and speech as someone trying too hard to sound more Italian American from the block than he really is.  Which makes sense because he's half Jewish and half Italian.  I'm 25% Jewish and 50% Italian so maybe that's why his overblown caricature of himself especially repulses me.  It's so fake and embarrassing if people see that and think his ridiculous shtick is what either culture is all about.

Edited by Yeah No
Because it's Bret with one "t".
  • Love 10

I don't know what Bret is trying to portray, but the kissing his fingers, pointing to the sky, sign of the cross, yelling "that's what I'm talking about"  and crying, all make me dislike him.  Imagine having to work with a guy like that.  he would get on my last nerve. 

• Love 11

I thought Kanae should have won a black jacket too.  I get that she's not mature enough for Gordon to envision her as leading one of his restaurant kitchens, but she deserved to go out in a later round. Both Bret and Heather made less successful dishes than she did,  going back all season. Her final dish received no marks for originality. Heather won by repeating some recipe she has no doubt done many times. More of an exercise than cooking. It was hard to accept such a young innocent looking girl was talented enough to go as far as she did, but that girl was gifted. She always did well  in challenges. I could do less of her getto bitch slapping her team mates, and tone down the attitude at times, but I'll  miss her funny wit, and good natured charm. The last episodes would have been more fun with her on board, but she'll go far.

• Love 4

Kanae is more likable than Heather, that choice is not hard.  But I think Ramsay was in a bit of a hard place regarding the food in that final round.  Should he choose Heather's unoriginal yet excellently executed dish or Kanae's creative yet imperfectly executed dish?  I guess in that kind of situation overall maturity and leadership ability would seem like the natural tiebreaker.  I think Ramsay was sincere that Kanae isn't ready for that yet.  It's too bad.  Maybe he'll invite her on the next "Rookies vs. Veterans" season and she'll get her black jacket then.  

• Love 8
22 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I don't know what Bret is trying to portray, but the kissing his fingers, pointing to the sky, sign of the cross, yelling "that's what I'm talking about"  and crying, all make me dislike him.  Imagine having to work with a guy like that.  he would get on my last nerve. 

These are the exact reasons he'll NEVER work in a GR restaurant. His schtick is good for HK ratings definitely not as a GR employee.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, preeya said:

These are the exact reasons he'll NEVER work in a GR restaurant. His schtick is good for HK ratings definitely not as a GR employee.

This is exactly why he and Trev were picked. Ratings.  I’m of the belief that both actually hurt the ratings more than helped.  

Also one would have to wonder if Brett actually thought he was special based on the amount of talking heads as well as using the same content for each.  Producer induced I believe. 

What a jolt to reality these men must have had as the season aired. It may even have contributed to Bret’s aftershow problems. Who knows.

• Love 2

Brett is just so...unpalatable.  In every aspect.  His food doesn't look great.  His ability to speak intelligibly is lacking.  His appearance is unappealing.  And mainly, his self assessment of his value to this show is woefully missing the mark.  He looks and sounds like every tertiary character on "Law & Order"...the thug-y ex-cellmate of the accused or the dim-witted boxer who sparred once with the dead guy or the roid rage-y bouncer at the nightclub where the under aged girl was last seen or the muscle for hire bodyguard for the shady Wall Street dude who took out 4 insurance policies on his now dead wife.  Brett just gives off a tangible vibe of unlikeability.  

• Love 9
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:17 AM, mertensia said:

You just know that Bret could be given lutefisk and lefse in a challenge and he'd find a way to bring up Italy and his Italian heritage. 

And his parents.  And then he'd cry.  And talk to them while doing it.  His parents are probably in the beyond going "Oh jeez...not again".

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, bluepiano said:

I would put Mia in with Motto and Ariel in the top group. She has been consistent all season. She's had some issues with teamwork in the dinner services, but when she's been on her own, cooking her own dishes, she's been pretty much flawless.

But in the end, this is not a cooking competition. If it's really about finding the person most qualified to be executive chef, then Ariel should win. Motta seems way too laid back to be much of a leader or manager.

My husband calls Bret "Vanilla Ice".  Mr. Funky grew up in a largely ethnic area, and said Bret would get his butt whooped trying to act like that anywhere but suburbia.  We were both in high school (different schools about 2 hours apart) when the esteemed Mr. Van Winkle had his 15 minutes of fame, and he said that the general consensus from his schoolmates was that Vanilla Ice needed a butt whooping, and would soundly receive one if he ever tried to spend more than 20 minutes in a more diverse neighborhood, if he weren't a minor celebrity.  There's a sketch on the old Chapelle's Show that makes fun of the show "Wife Swap", and there's a white kid around age 13 who is doing the whole gangsta thing, and the African American dad they swapped with drops him off in the worst neighborhood possible with his bucket hat and gold dollar sign necklace, and says something like "Well, here you go!  These are your people!  And tell them Leonard Washington is glad he got out!  Goodbye!" and he speeds off.

I don't see Mia making it to the finals.  She's too young, and I don't think she could lead a Ramsay kitchen if she made all of the cute faces in the world.  Motto seems like he's the kind who would rather be friends with his employees.  Heather and Bret....just no.  I would peg Ariel to be the winner.  She's the only one who has what it takes.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 3