Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: The Day Before...

• Start Topic

We go back to the day before Jon’s death, before everything seemed to have fallen apart. Jon is struggling both in his personal and work life, Delilah and Eddie make plans to tell Jon about their secret affair, and Maggie attempts to start her new life in Boston.

First airing Thursday, January 24, 2019.

Nothing really new in tonight's show. A few things, but not a lot.  I found a big omission with Jon in regard to his children. No mention of them we see, no notes, no flashbacks in his head, no pictures. I realize he had a lot to go through, planning, he thought of everyone, but what about his children and the legacy of having their dad commit suicide and not leave them anything. I hope I'm wrong about that, but as a kid it would effect me if everyone got a ticket, a restaurant, money, notes, videos, etc. 

Time will tell. That's all I really thought about tonight.

• Love 16

The good: The origin of Colin!

The odd: Pitch commercial, win client, show Super Bowl commercial NOT during the Super Bowl. Product placement at its most... odd.

The rest: Still processing. 

• Love 3

Couple of thoughts- does Massachusetts have kill shelters?  I was under the impression we don’t. I volunteer for a lab rescue that only gets their dogs from down south because of all of the kill shelters down there. That led me to believe there weren’t any here, otherwise why would we go south?  I’m not a NE native, so I guess I just made an assumption. 

Also, I get that Gary has a type of cancer that is more prominent in women, but that still doesn’t explain why that exam room he was in had all that “girly” stuff.  I’m sure that drs office treats more than just breast cancer. Also, was that just a GP or oncologist?  Also, how immensely rude and inappropriate for that doctor to not give Gary his full attention in the room.  I thought that before, but I just can’t get over it  

I knew that the Ashley kiss was a fake out. 

I’m thinking Barbara is his sister. 

Even with them showing that Delilah was more into Eddie before Jon’s death, I still don’t see any sort of actual passion there. They have zero chemistry. 

I know what they are trying to show with Roman’s depression - that things can be “perfect” and the person can still be depressed- but I just don’t know. I didn’t really feel it. I feel like RM has done better in the acting department in other episodes. I just didn’t feel his performance in this one. 

• Love 10

I don't think I'm going to make it much longer with this show.

This episode couldn't really hold my attention.  About 15 minutes in, it became the show I watched in snips while other shows were in commercial.

I still managed to catch Eddie and Delilah complaining to each other that Katherine and Jon had the gall not show up for their carefully laid out plans to break up with their spouses.

• Love 16

Wait, why was he giving the dog to a shelter? I got home late and only watched a few minutes before deciding to just watch on demand over the weekend. But I caught that scene and this is going to bug me. Colin is still my favorite character. ;) 

4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Wait, why was he giving the dog to a shelter? I got home late and only watched a few minutes before deciding to just watch on demand over the weekend. But I caught that scene and this is going to bug me. Colin is still my favorite character. ;) 

The dog was a stray that started folowing Gary as he walked through the park.  He took it home because the shelter was closed.  I think he initially didn’t want to keep the dog because he was worried that his check up would show that his cancer was back. When the checkup was normal, Gary decided he wanted the dog.

• Love 7
Just now, doodlebug said:

The dog was a stray that started folowing Gary as he walked through the park.  He took it home because the shelter was closed.  I think he initially didn’t want to keep the dog because he was worried that his check up would show that his cancer was back. When the checkup was normal, Gary decided he wanted the dog.

Thank you; I can sleep now. :)

Am I supposed to feel bad for Delilah and Eddie that Jon and Katherine put a crimp in their plan to end their marriages? How thoughtful of Delilah to arrange to tell her husband that she is leaving him for his best friend in a public setting. She really is the worst. 

I was a little more interested in this episode, but unfortunately it wasn’t because of the regular cast. What a weird time to bring in Maggie’s dad after never even mentioning him in the previous episodes.

1 hour ago, debraran said:

Nothing really new in tonight's show. A few things, but not a lot.  I found a big omission with Jon in regard to his children. No mention of them we see, no notes, no flashbacks in his head, no pictures. I realize he had a lot to go through, planning, he thought of everyone, but what about his children and the legacy of having their dad commit suicide and not leave them anything. I hope I'm wrong about that, but as a kid it would effect me if everyone got a ticket, a restaurant, money, notes, videos, etc. 

Time will tell. That's all I really thought about tonight.

The kids only exist to provide angst for Delilah and she was too busy justifying her affair to be concerned about them. 

Edited by Guest

I thought this was a good episode, possibly because I really like Ron Livingston. His pained look while calling Eddie was heartbreaking. The events portrayed Jon as a sympathetic character, between giving Ashley airplane tickets, taking Gina's call, buying an entire block to try to save it from demolition, and even remembering to buy a battery for the smoke detector. (Though possibly some passive aggressiveness in forgetting about dinner.)

It's not clear yet when Jon found out about Delilah and Eddie's affair. Eddie's bracelet was in his dresser, so presumably he already knew about them before the restaurant. It does add an interesting layer of complexity that Ashley also knew.

Not sure I understand (yet) what he meant about not being the man everyone thought he was. I guess having a secret apartment is kind of shady but what does he do there? 

Who was taking care of Theo when Eddie ran over to the restaurant? Was he in the car?

The Maggie storyline was odd. I'm not sure I found out anything new about her other than she has a caring family.

Explains why Gary has been so militant about Jon's legacy. He's projecting his guilt. 

More Colin please.

• Love 12

“I planned this all out for me to break up with him, I booked a hotel room and left food in the fridge “um are we supposed to be like “Delilah is so thoughtful”? Because she is not. I’m not really sure what to make of her and Eddie complaining about how their divorce plans do not go well.

• Love 16

I haven't watched this show for about 4 episodes now but I saw an ad the other night that this episode would answer questions so I watched. I don't think I followed everything. Why did Jon kill himself? Who is Barbara? Who told Jon to stop calling and what was it she couldn't do?

Didn't much care for the Maggie story. It's like they didn't have enough story so they put that in there just to be filler. It added nothing.

• Love 4

So for all of the promise of answers, we really didnt get very much. Jon threw away a bunch of money saving his old apartment, and didnt have an affair with Ashley, and he did probably know about the affair. Thats about it. 

Well, we did get a reminder that Eddie and Delilah are both terrible assholes, no matter how much the show wants us to feel for them for some reason. Are they seriously trying to pass Deliah off as being so nice and considerate for taking her husband to a nice dinner, getting a hotel room for the night, and sticking some food in the fridge, as she tells her husband that she has been cheating on him with his best friend, AND is now leaving him for the aforementioned best friend. In any real world, he would have lost his relationships with his wife and his best friend in one fell swoop, and he would get dumped in public no less! And am I actually supposed to feel bad for Eddie and Delilah that Katherine and Jon got busy and missed the dinner where they were going to admit to an affair, dumping them, and breaking up their families?!? "Oh, those two are so inconsiderate! How dare they inconvenience us, a pair of adulterers who were about to dump them in a public space!" Would have loved to see how that conversation would have gone! And its even worse, as now we know that Jon never had an affair, and that Katherine is actually a fucking saint of a woman who bends over backwards to help this woman who was pulling shit like this on her. And even dropping I Love Yous while Jon was right there! They never mentioned their kids, except that half assed "I can tell Theo that daddy deserves to be happy" comment, they clearly didnt think much about what it would do for them, beyond Eddie looking a bit conflicted when Theo mentioned Katherine. Assholes! 

I did actually like the flashback with Rome, I think they went with an idea of him being like "is this really it? This is as good as it can ever get for me?" or something. Although, color me not impressed at Romes Super Bowl pitch. It sounded funny enough, but not "game changing" or not anything. It aint exactly the "Id like to buy the world a Coke" commercial. 

We did get the origin story I really wanted: Colin! Colin is so adorable, he improves everything. 

Rob Livingston really is so likable and interesting, I just liked seeing him do his thing. 

• Love 19

I agree re Ron. Last night I found him as usual, very appealing, sexier to me than the rest  and will miss him. He dominates all the segments and I kept looking forward to when he would return. (except I also loved Colin)  I knew he never had an affair with Ashley, way too cliche and he wouldn't hurt their relationship, but I wish she wasn't the only person he trust.  Delilah and Eddie were like high school kids sneaking out and planning their affair and then like most affairs, when the green light comes, it dims. But alas she had to get the soap opera pregnancy. So glad Jon missed that.

I realize the kids exist for props for their mom, but I really hope such a thoughtful, but very disturbed man, would not leave his kids without something. I realize the drama of jumping was for the TV viewers and made it dramatic with Ashley running, etc but as talked about before, you don't do that to your kids when everything down to a battery was planned. He had to know that was a horrible site for them to read about or see. I know pills aren't always available but somehow I think he could have stockpiled some in 2 years. I know it's a show, but I like Jon and his character and hope there are more notes coming and the writers don't have Ashley drag this out too much more.  I wouldn't mind a few more Jon flashbacks in the future.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I haven't watched this show for about 4 episodes now but I saw an ad the other night that this episode would answer questions so I watched. I don't think I followed everything. Why did Jon kill himself? Who is Barbara? Who told Jon to stop calling and what was it she couldn't do?

Didn't much care for the Maggie story. It's like they didn't have enough story so they put that in there just to be filler. It added nothing.

We still don't know who Barbara is (my spoiler-free speculation is she is his sister).  Also, the voice on the phone sounded very much like Constance Zimmerman, so I think that's Barbara telling Jon to stop calling.  It seems Jon killed himself because he was so far into debt, but that didn't seem to help Delilah any so I still don't really feel like I know why. 

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

We still don't know who Barbara is (my spoiler-free speculation is she is his sister).  Also, the voice on the phone sounded very much like Constance Zimmerman, so I think that's Barbara telling Jon to stop calling.  It seems Jon killed himself because he was so far into debt, but that didn't seem to help Delilah any so I still don't really feel like I know why. 

I think he left instructions on individual life insurance policies to help her.  If he left it in her name the debt collectors would take it.  That’s still behind picture but not sure where instruction on that was,maybe a letter. He made them beneficiaries. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I did actually like the flashback with Rome, I think they went with an idea of him being like "is this really it? This is as good as it can ever get for me?" or something. Although, color me not impressed at Romes Super Bowl pitch. It sounded funny enough, but not "game changing" or not anything. It aint exactly the "Id like to buy the world a Coke" commercial. 

We did get the origin story I really wanted: Colin! Colin is so adorable, he improves everything. 

Rob Livingston really is so likable and interesting, I just liked seeing him do his thing. 

Yes the Rome stuff was interesting. It shows you really don't know who around you can be quietly falling apart right in front of you without your knowing it.

Colin is too adorable! I loved how he and Gary just randomly met in the park (at least I think that was a park?)

RL is great at bringing out the different layers of Jon. Although I'll always remember him as Berger from Sex and the City.

I can't get 'Shiny, Happy People' out of my head!

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, woodstock said:

I can't get 'Shiny, Happy People' out of my head!

That's been stuck in my head ever since watching this episode.

Jon is still the most interesting character on the show.

If he jumped over being in debt then these writers are just lame.

They need to flesh out the kids more instead of them just being props.

• Love 6

Show is gonna have to work harder if it wants me to accept Delilah and Eddie's twue wuv. Gag.

Not my favorite episode.  Still feels like the show is back-pedaling a bit to try and reset some things.  

Love Jon.  

Love Colin.

Yes, there are still kill shelters in New England. 

• Love 8

Didn't really learn too much new last night with the exception of Jon's apartment.  I just can't take to Ashley and I agree with a poster above, Delilah and Eddie have no chemistry, they annoy me.  I really hate the scene where Eddie complains to Delilah that Katherine will come home and want Indian take out again.  It's just so petty.  You don't want Indian, say something you cheating loser. Forgot about Colin, loved that back story and also like Maggie and her story.  Dad popping in was perhaps an afterthought for the show.  Not sure why Gina would call Jon to complain about the ass grabbing at work, was he part owner in that business?  Just to explain why he would fund a restaurant for her I guess.  Can't wait to find out who Barbara is so I will hang on and continue watching.

• Love 10

I was so frustrated watching Maggie and her dad as she has not once referenced him during her ongoing cancer treatments.  She acts as if the only people she has in the world are in this friendship group.

Hated that Eddie was happily playing basketball with Jon when he knew Deliah was going to tell Jon that she was leaving him that very evening.  Just think up a reason not to show up.

Glad Gary came to his senses about Colin!

And, I still didn't get any answers to my questions although they promised to answer questions!  I probably won't make it through the whole season as I really don't care about most of these characters and they are dragging out the mysteries far too long.  I quit watching "This is Us" as I just don't have the patience for the drawn out "mysteries" and am about to take this show off of my dvr for the very same reason.

• Love 5

I had a different take on this than the rest of you I guess. While Deliah was at the restaurant, Jon was at an apartment with Ashley and it's likely not the first time he has just blown her off. So, I think Deliah and Eddie are not good people, but Jon isn't either. He also bought an entire block of apartments so he could have a private apartment, apparently not caring that his wife and children would be out on the street. He also clearly has some kind of intimate relationship with Ashley, especially since he bought her a trip to Spain and slipped the apartment key in her purse. I also didn't buy that Gina would call him for advice over her husband.

I still like the show and consider it kind of an anti This is Us where everyone is perfect and golden. These are flawed people who are not always making the right choice.  Oh, I also really hate the trope that if you have cancer or if your cancer reoccurs you should keep your relatives and friends in the dark. It is important to have people who can help you and provide moral support and it doesn't make you weak to let people know what is going on in your life. 

• Love 16

I agree with you but I just don't buy Jon as some great guy either. I think everyone on the show has their faults. I do think a spouse who is lonely and ignored is more apt to seek out an affair, but it doesn't make it right. I guess I was responding more to the idea that Jon was so beloved by all and I just see him as a guy who ignored the needs of his family to buy an apartment and have an emotional connection with his secretary that seemed more important than his family. We might find out more of course.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, debraran said:

I agree re Ron. Last night I found him as usual, very appealing, sexier to me than the rest  and will miss him. He dominates all the segments and I kept looking forward to when he would return. (except I also loved Colin)  I knew he never had an affair with Ashley, way too cliche and he wouldn't hurt their relationship, but I wish she wasn't the only person he trust.  Delilah and Eddie were like high school kids sneaking out and planning their affair and then like most affairs, when the green light comes, it dims. But alas she had to get the soap opera pregnancy. So glad Jon missed that.

I realize the kids exist for props for their mom, but I really hope such a thoughtful, but very disturbed man, would not leave his kids without something. I realize the drama of jumping was for the TV viewers and made it dramatic with Ashley running, etc but as talked about before, you don't do that to your kids when everything down to a battery was planned. He had to know that was a horrible site for them to read about or see. I know pills aren't always available but somehow I think he could have stockpiled some in 2 years. I know it's a show, but I like Jon and his character and hope there are more notes coming and the writers don't have Ashley drag this out too much more.  I wouldn't mind a few more Jon flashbacks in the future.

It is amazing how much better the show is when Jon is featured in an episode. The closest I have come to feeling sympathy for Delilah was when Jon was an ass to her in the beginning of the episode and it was entirely based on Ron’s acting. 

I agree with out about the kids. The way they are used is one of my big problems with the show. Not having Jon mention them is really bad writing. At least in Band of Dads they did establish that he was thinking of Sophie at least.

1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

I was so frustrated watching Maggie and her dad as she has not once referenced him during her ongoing cancer treatments.  She acts as if the only people she has in the world are in this friendship group.

I liked the scenes with Maggie and her dad but this really bothered me. It is just bad writing and I am sure that he is going to disappear never to be mentioned again like Delilah’s dad. 

10 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I agree with you but I just don't buy Jon as some great guy either. I think everyone on the show has their faults. I do think a spouse who is lonely and ignored is more apt to seek out an affair, but it doesn't make it right. I guess I was responding more to the idea that Jon was so beloved by all and I just see him as a guy who ignored the needs of his family to buy an apartment and have an emotional connection with his secretary that seemed more important than his family. We might find out more of course.

I have a lot of good we’ll built up towards Jon after the seeing him with Gary at Chemo. I really like that he is not being shown to be perfect. 

Edited by Guest
26 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I'm with you re: Eddie and Delilah. What they did was wrong, absolutely, but it definitely appears that Katherine and Jon regularly blew them off and did not take care of their relationships. And I do not buy the "it's for the family" excuse either. Once in a while, sure, but sometimes what your family needs is YOU. How many people say "Damn, I really should've spent more time working" over "I really should've spent more time with my family"?

All four are at fault for the failures in their relationships - but that doesn't mean that they were all equally at fault. And Katherine at least contacted Eddie to say she would be late; it appears Jon just completely blew off Delilah without a word, at least not until much later. I am loving Ron Livingston's work here though!

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I think they were all horrible. Truth be told, statistically, affairs are usually the last resorts for those in marriages with these problems. The problem is when it is written this way it becomes cliche. I also think we would feel more towards Jon if we saw more of a focus on his kids. When it came down to it, even though the season still isn't over. He focused on his Jon, his secretary and a type of nostalgia that kept him happy instead of working on what was really the problem. Same goes with both Eddie and Delilah, especially Eddie. 

Rome's story is extremely realistic, because as someone who has dealt with depression since I was a teen, it showed it wasn't just one thing. There can be a kick off or even a last bit that starts it or can make you go over the deep end. I get though with Rome it was a combination of: work, his home life, his family life and it was basically his small circle of friends that kept him wanting to maintain appearance. The one thing that both the writers are ignoring are those in Rome's life that have contributed to that depression and won't either admit they are sorry or want to know more of how they can correct that. Problem also with Rome's wife's life and reasoning for things also is cliche. She didn't want children because she doesn't see her life needing that fulfillment or legacy. It's coming from the fact she had such a HARD childhood and her relationship with her mother is so bad and she believe that will continue even if she doesn't admit it. It is also not far to Rome because he pictured that things would just go naturally after he got into his career, fell in love with someone hot, attractive and nice. He just wasn't prepared for all the "counter balance" he could possibly face. From his career not being all as cracked up as it should be to his wife just not being honest and foolishly believing she would change her mind. 

With Jon, Eddie, Delilah and Katherine, they should have just opened their BIG FAT MOUTHS about the small things instead of just stamping their feet and then going to the corner of their rooms.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, readster said:

I think they were all horrible. Truth be told, statistically, affairs are usually the last resorts for those in marriages with these problems. The problem is when it is written this way it becomes cliche. I also think we would feel more towards Jon if we saw more of a focus on his kids. When it came down to it, even though the season still isn't over. He focused on his Jon, his secretary and a type of nostalgia that kept him happy instead of working on what was really the problem. Same goes with both Eddie and Delilah, especially Eddie. 

Rome's story is extremely realistic, because as someone who has dealt with depression since I was a teen, it showed it wasn't just one thing. There can be a kick off or even a last bit that starts it or can make you go over the deep end. I get though with Rome it was a combination of: work, his home life, his family life and it was basically his small circle of friends that kept him wanting to maintain appearance. The one thing that both the writers are ignoring are those in Rome's life that have contributed to that depression and won't either admit they are sorry or want to know more of how they can correct that. Problem also with Rome's wife's life and reasoning for things also is cliche. She didn't want children because she doesn't see her life needing that fulfillment or legacy. It's coming from the fact she had such a HARD childhood and her relationship with her mother is so bad and she believe that will continue even if she doesn't admit it. It is also not far to Rome because he pictured that things would just go naturally after he got into his career, fell in love with someone hot, attractive and nice. He just wasn't prepared for all the "counter balance" he could possibly face. From his career not being all as cracked up as it should be to his wife just not being honest and foolishly believing she would change her mind. 

With Jon, Eddie, Delilah and Katherine, they should have just opened their BIG FAT MOUTHS about the small things instead of just stamping their feet and then going to the corner of their rooms.

SEVERE lack of communication in both relationships! Actually, in Rome and Gina's relationship as well. Thankfully my husband and I believe in letting it all out! If something is bothering us we let the other know, point blank.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

SEVERE lack of communication in both relationships! Actually, in Rome and Gina's relationship as well. Thankfully my husband and I believe in letting it all out! If something is bothering us we let the other know, point blank.

I agree that we have now seen that both Katherine and Jon were not the ideal spouses and I think most of us know that it takes two people to make a marriage work, however, that doesn't ever excuse an affair.  Nor do we ever see Delilah or Eddie making much effort to talk to their partners, to air their concerns, to see what their husband/wife thinks and what particular problems they are facing which are making it tough for them to be attentive spouses.  A big reason why Delilah didn't know her husband's business is in deep financial doo-doo and her house is on the line is because she apparently never cared enough to ask him.  Or ever took initiative to find out about their household finances.  We've seen that she had ample opportunity to do so, but she never did.  Same with Eddie, apparently, besides doing child care before and after school and the occasional guitar lesson; he has no set responsibilities for their household.  It seems that Katherine is in charge of dinner and he somehow is angry that she gets takeout from the same place.  How he can spend his days as he does and have no concept of what it is she is doing at work or how stressful she might find it once again says a lot about him and his interest in their marriage.

If Eddie and Delilah both felt their spouses were not attentive enough to them, it wouldn't have been very tough to figure out that both were extremely stressed on the job and that perhaps the partners who were only working part time should've stepped up to see what they could do.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9

When I saw this episode title I was really hoping it would be a series of day before’s. Showing us the day before the first episode doesn’t really tell us anything new. You can’t judge a marriage on the day before it fell apart. Of course there were serious problems in both marriages. Two of the four people were having an affair and one of them was about to kill himself. The day before the affair started might actually given us some insight. Delilah keeps saying 2 years but how long was it before the affair started? Did she try to understand what was going on with Jon? Those are questions that need to be answered if I am going to have any sympathy for Delilah. 

Jon seemed like a pretty creepy guy in this episode - who clings to his college apartment and then keeps it a secret from his wife?! (Not to mention the rest of his secrets.)

Edited by nexxie
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, Dani said:

Am I supposed to feel bad for Delilah and Eddie that Jon and Katherine put a crimp in their plan to end their marriages? How thoughtful of Delilah to arrange to tell her husband that she is leaving him for his best friend in a public setting. She really is the worst. 

She is.  And no matter what John was doing, did do, etc. none of it excuses her and Eddie's affair.  And sorry, Eddie, that Katherine had the nerve to work late to support your pathetic self. She's a monster.

It was a pretty good episode, but I've been thoroughly bored by the last few so anything that kept my attention is an improvement.

1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

Jon can be a less than great guy.  Delilah can be a less than great gal.  These two things are not mutually exclusive.

• Love 4

Finding out that Delilah was about to end her marriage makes the pregnancy look less like a accident and more like a calculated decision to start a new family with Eddie.

Which once again makes me ask exactly what was Delilah’s plan? Was the plan to move Eddie in to her house with Sophie and Danny while Jon and Katherine support their new family. There is nothing to indicate either was planning on getting a steady job. Did Delilah really think that her kids would be okay with any of this? 

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

Finding out that Delilah was about to end her marriage makes the pregnancy look less like a accident and more like a calculated decision to start a new family with Eddie.

Which once again makes me ask exactly what was Delilah’s plan? Was the plan to move Eddie in to her house with Sophie and Danny while Jon and Katherine support their new family. There is nothing to indicate either was planning on getting a steady job. Did Delilah really think that her kids would be okay with any of this? 

I have yet to watch this (heck, I have yet to watch last week's ep), but this is what I think:  I think that, yes, Delilah did think she could just waltz out of her family and into Eddie's arms and I do NOT think that either of them thought of it any further than that.  So, if this had come to pass, it would have been Delilah and Eddie blowing up two marriages for a relationship that probably would have lasted maybe a week once reality set in.

I'm not sure if I'm quite there with Delilah making a calculating decision to get pregnant, but I can see how she saw the broken condom (eye roll) as an impulsive way out.  But, then again, I'm still not sure that the baby isn't Jon's after all.  Delilah has not been honest about *anything* in this show, so why should we believe her on anything?

ETA: I call BS on Jon never talking to Delilah about business.  I mean, Delilah knew all about "his latest deal" (Regina's restaurant), so there must have been some discussion.  That's either incredibly sloppy writing or more lies from Delilah.  Or both.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 2

And Delilah and Eddie's "I love you" as they whispered phone conversation while her husband was in the next room? Hard pass.  First off, you both seem to be too in love with yourselves to love each other. Second of all, when you're trying to keep your voices down and conversation inconspicuous, saying "I love you" is probably one of the more damning things you could say, Delilah.

3 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I have yet to watch this (heck, I have yet to watch last week's ep), but this is what I think:  I think that, yes, Delilah did think she could just waltz out of her family and into Eddie's arms and I do NOT think that either of them thought of it any further than that.  So, if this had come to pass, it would have been Delilah and Eddie blowing up two marriages for a relationship that probably would have lasted maybe a week once reality set in.

I'm not sure if I'm quite there with Delilah making a calculating decision to get pregnant, but I can see how she saw the broken condom (eye roll) as an impulsive way out.  But, then again, I'm still not sure that the baby isn't Jon's after all.  Delilah has not been honest about *anything* in this show, so why should we believe her on anything?

I agree. I worded it poorly but I meant it looks like a calculated decision to take the chance that she might be pregnant after the condom broke. 

I think the buying of the building is much more than sentiment. He bought more than the apartment. I wonder if it was to keep someone there. I also thought that maybe Jon had another family and they were killed. Why he wouldn't mention that, who knows, but buying the wine (which still looked full to me) was when it happened.

Time will tell but I only hate Delilah and Eddie more. So immature and makes Delilah look even more ignorant as the clueless wife. She is planning on walking out on Jon and still has no clue on finances. She just wants to sleep with Eddie (which seems to have cooled now) and just be taken care of? Her kids don't have any say of course and she was ready to stay with Eddie that night. Just gross. I didn't mind Jon being late since he was planning his demise and he knew what she wanted. Maybe on some level, it made it easier but the kids had no "last day" and were written terribly. No flashbacks of births, playing ball, hugs, nothing. That's the writers fault but maybe they are saving it for later. I know it was about his friends group but they were his blood and left with more questions than answers.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Dani said:

I agree. I worded it poorly but I meant it looks like a calculated decision to take the chance that she might be pregnant after the condom broke. 

Strange that a married  woman  is relying on condoms for birth control. STD protection? Yes, but BC just seems odd to me. I don’t know too many married couples who rely on condoms, unless they are still considering expanding their family. Most  I know, once in agreement that they want no more kids, go for either diaphram, vasectomy/tube tying or a type of hormonal contraception, for extra reliability. Just from my personal observation... 

of course a broken condom is better as far as adding drama to a TV show.  

• Love 4

I ripped on Eddie during the first episode because of his petty complaint about Katherine wanting Indian food so I feel vindicated that other people feel the same way too. As I said then, if you don't want Indian food you still have options (besides having an affair and whining to your mistress about it): offer to make dinner! Order or pick up food from somewhere else! Open your mouth and suggest something, ANYTHING! But no, Eddie, you just keep your mouth shut around Katherine so you can feel like you're the silently suffering martyr and then complain about your wife to your friends and your mistress. That will fix everything. Oh, wait, you didn't want to fix your marriage because you'd already decided to dump your wife and run off with your best friend's wife.

I would watch a show with just Theo and Colin being awesome.

20 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Gary actually decided to keep Colin before he got his results back. He was sitting in the exam room waiting for the doctor when he called the shelter. Later the doctor came in and was bitching about his edamame salad before Gary interrupted him to ask for his results.

19 hours ago, kazza said:

Who was taking care of Theo when Eddie ran over to the restaurant? Was he in the car?

Theo was with his grandmother. When he and Eddie were looking for his dinosaur and talking about going to the museum, Eddie said, "We have to get to grandma's," and Theo said that he had promised his grandma he was going to show her his dinosaur that night.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, iwasish said:

Strange that a married  woman  is relying on condoms for birth control. STD protection? Yes, but BC just seems odd to me. I don’t know too many married couples who rely on condoms, unless they are still considering expanding their family. Most  I know, once in agreement that they want no more kids, go for either diaphram, vasectomy/tube tying or a type of hormonal contraception, for extra reliability. Just from my personal observation... 

Maybe she didn't need that much birth control with Jon, it doesn't seem like their sex life was in a good place. 

The episode was underwhelming, I cleaned the kitchen when watching, which is definitely not a good sign. Regina's butt story seemed forced; or rather, talking to Jon about it did. They could have tried harder to find a solid link between their last conversation and him leaving her the restaurant. Scenes with Maggie's father did nothing to me. I'd prefer Jon and Ashley's scenes to reveal more, I hope the next episode will be less of a filler, I don't want another Jack Pearson's death mystery, dragged to the point where I won't care anymore.

However, I don't hate Delilah and Eddie quite as much as others. People have emotional needs, clearly Jon wasn't there for Delilah (I don't know about Katherine and Eddie, we didn't get enough insight into that). Even if her frustration would make her jump into another unfulfilling relationship, it's understandable and maybe better than being stuck. I'm not sure if any moving forward was possible in her marriage, it was dishonest on both sides and Jon seemed to prefer to deal with everyone else's shit before looking at his own, which would make it hard to repair anything. We saw that he stood Delilah up without as much as a word, even though he had time to talk to Regina about her butt; Delilah didn't see it, but there were probably enough situations like that to show her that he doesn't see or hear her. Also, pretty bumming that Jon preferred to spend his last day with Ashley, not with his kids. 

Sure, both Delilah and Eddie could have dealt with their issues better and since they don't seem like "it" for each other, could have avoided endangering many friendships. But both needed someone to push for a change. Admittedly, they didn't pick very well, but it happens. 

Edit: But I do agree that Eddie not being able to confront Katherine and whining to Delilah/Gary/whoever was super bad. 

Edited by pinkglove
forgot to write something
  • Love 4