Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: Day 9: 6:00 PM-7:00 PM

Tara Ariano

(edited)

So, who is the VP who is now becoming President? I don't think they have shown or named him/her, but I could have blinked and missed it. Maybe it's someone from a previous season?, as was the case with Heller.

Delurking because I've been thinking about this since last night, about who could still be lurking in 24 politics:

President Mike Novick?

Or Hal Gardner again.

Edited by FilmBuff90

I think that blackwing is just assuming that the guy in the preview who is apparently fighting with Jack who just fell off a building ledge (while Jack is still on it) is Ian.  They certainly put Margot screaming in a split scene with it to make you think that.

(edited)

Just a question... does Audrey Heller actually have a job in the administration or is she just there because of her dad and husband. From the beginning her position has felt like kind of a sick 'daughter acting as First Lady' vibe that they tried to temper by having her married to a guy who works there too. 

She seems to have some kind of official administrative assistant type role although I'm not sure what her actual title is.  She does seem to have some actual responsibilities.  An episode or two ago, when Mark confronted her in the hallway and semi-apologised about not telling her about Jack, she excused herself and said she had to make some calls or something like that.

But I'm not sure why a daughter acting as First Lady for her widowed father would be considered "sick".  It's happened more than a number of times in history.  Thomas Jefferson was widowed when he became President; his daughter acted as First Lady.  Andrew Jackson's daughter-in-law acted as his First Lady.  I think there are several other examples, for example, when the President's wife died while he was in office and the daughter took over, but those are probably the best-known ones.

I think that blackwing is just assuming that the guy in the preview who is apparently fighting with Jack who just fell off a building ledge (while Jack is still on it) is Ian.  They certainly put Margot screaming in a split scene with it to make you think that.
I paused and slo-mo'ed several times... from the emo swept over hair and the green shirt it certainly looks like him, but I could be wrong. Edited by blackwing

Well, last week's preview for this week had Heller standing in the middle of something green and looking up, combined with Margot and Ian looking at him on the camera feed, and that essentially played out as we thought it would, so it would seem that we're back to the naughty naughty spoiler previews again.

(edited)

So, who is the VP who is now becoming President? I don't think they have shown or named him/her, but I could have blinked and missed it. Maybe it's someone from a previous season?, as was the case with Heller.

It's funny that on 24, there hasn't been a president who has completed their term since David Palmer.  That's massive instability.  I know many countries have had a lot more leaders in a short amount of time but the circumstances in the 24 world is extreme.

I don't see what's wrong with Audrey in the "First Lady" role.  A daughter serving as White House hostess was actually common back in the early days of the country.  Thomas Jefferson was a widow for almost 20 years when he became president and his daughter assumed hostess duties in the White House.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's funny that on 24, there hasn't been a president who has completed their term since David Palmer.  That's massive instability.  I know many countries have had a lot more leaders in a short amount of time but the circumstances in the 24 world is extreme.

During commercials after the first few minutes of the premiere of "24: Live Another Day" (way back when, it feels like now, after last night's events), I recounted to my sister the presidential history of "24" (I love presidential history, real and fictional), who replied, "That poor fictional United States!"

Edited by FilmBuff90
  • Love 1

Heheh.  She's definitely right.

I love presidential history too so I like to read the president section of 24 Wiki.  After Taylor stepped down (and was probably thrown in jail) it likely would have been that dumbass VP from Season 7 who took over for her.  Not hard to see how Haller got the job.

Although Heller annoyed me with how naïve he was...first not suspecting their had been civilian casualties during the airstrike that killed Terror Mom's husband (and thinking that gave her some kind of moral edge around the world) and then in thinking that Margo wouldn't go back on her word because it would make her look bad in front of the world.  She just fired a missile at a hospital in London, killing and wounding many.  She already looks bad to the rest of the world.

(edited)

Delurking because I've been thinking about this since last night, about who could still be lurking in 24 politics:

President Mike Novick?

Or Hal Gardner again.

How about Logan? He attempted suicide, shooting himself in the head, in Season 8. But I believe the paramedics said he'd live but be brain damaged. Well, maybe the brain damage wasn't so bad and he got a huge sympathy vote. Hey man, the "24" world is a crazy one! At any rate it would be hilarious. I'd love it if they like totally jumped the shark and made the remaining episodes into a sort of self parody, poking fun at its very preposterousness.

Edited by Democritus
  • Love 1

So, who is the VP who is now becoming President?

Oh, PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE let it be Aaron Pierce!!!    If anybody deserves it, it's him.  I'd love to see him back in the Bauersphere. 

• Love 5

I always adored Aaron as well!  The actor just really comes off as a decent man.

I think I'm liking the shorter season.  The quicker pace keeps me more focused.  I'm not sure where the storyline is going from here.  Margot seemed genuine when she told her son she would destroy the drones - not that I think there's honor among terrorists.  I wonder if her son will go rogue, he got a taste of destruction and it really turned him on.

I feel for Audrey because she's really become a delicate little snow flake.  How can she move on from this?  I also kind of want her husband's forgery to be revealed.

Wonder why the poor computer boy is laying there bleeding to death instead of calling 911.

• Love 1

My fandoms are crossing but I am hopeful Asgard beaming technology picked up President Hayes Heller right before the drone strike.
Devane as PotUS is super distracting to me.

I think Margot will stick to her word but TerrorSon 2.0 will take over, perhaps kill her to run the drones.

I am digging this much shorter season, I have no idea when or how they will do the time jump and hope to remain unspoiled. I am super glad this isn't taking place in LA so I don't have to yell about it being impossible to go from point A to B in the time they do. I'm all for suspending reality but the rules of LA rush hour traffic are rules of the universe. Even Jack Bauer can't control them.

Wonder why the poor computer boy is laying there bleeding to death instead of calling 911.

His phone was damaged/waterlogged after he fell off the boat when shot.

With a shortened season, I don't think we'll have time for an Evil Vice President. Which is sad because I love those :)

I'm thinking Jack "Die Hards" Terror!Son (causes him to fall down a building) before the drones are destroyed, so Terror!Mom 2.0 still needs them.

I was curious why Terror!Daughter got an end-of-episode status block as the time ran out. Aren't we done with her?

Edgar deserved a silent clock, Heller does not.

... "That poor fictional United States!"

Yeah, with multiple tragedies in a single day, over and over again, from Presidential assassinations to nuclear detonations on the same day. 

I have to say, I like the Mike Novick idea - it definitely keeps Jack in the field.  I assume that the new President will travel to London during the time jump (probably from 10 pm to 10 am).

(edited)

Changed my mind. Heller's not dead. That disc under the floorboards had to serve a purpose, specifically to trick Margot and Ian. Naveed couldn't have died in vain!

I think they only have one drone left, Margot and Ian will point it out of desperation to somewhere highly populated. What site would be highly populated at 7-8 pm? Waterloo Station, Victoria Station or Euston Station. My money would be on Waterloo Station because it's the most iconic. I think next week is the last we'll see of Margot and Ian and, as I've written earlier, the Russians and Chinese will take center stage. Cue Audrey being targeted again.

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oh, my, what a thrillride!

"Wake that bitch up!" <- priceless.

I was so breathtaken I didn't even come to think of silent clock issue. Then I decided that Chloe did manage to hack the drone whatevertechnology in time. I wonder how it'll play out. So far I've managed to stay pretty much spoiler-sober.

My wtf -moment? Realizing at 6:32PM that I was inadvertently watching the episode "in real time".

ROTFL-moment? Jordan's dripping wet iPhone followed by "introducing the new water resistant Samsung Galaxy" -ad on the next break on Hulu.

Just loving the actors, especially Kiefer, Devane and Margot. Very disappointed with Chloe, not Mary Lynn's acting, but the character's role this season. We need more Potato Face! Was laughing at her sitting at a sleazy bar with her laptop once again, just casually trying to save the world. And nagging to Jack about her working environment.

Oh, and pay phones? Kim used a pay phone back in season 1, didn't she?

ETA: And! I'm developing a serious soft spot for Mark B. all of a sudden! He's soooo going to betray Kiefer now. Because that's how this works!

Edited by jendolly
  • Love 1

Let's say Heller was saved.  For what?   To die of Alzheimer's?

Saving him doesn't unring the "as a matter of fact, the United States does negotiate with terrorists" bell.

Pyrrhic victory, at best.

I find it hilarious the way that TPTB wil not show an acting President die onscreen. Wouldn't going out like a badass be better than being corrupt and/or evil? It's not as if they don't want to see the terrorists "winning", because they have succeeded in bringing down Air Force 1, blowing up nukes and bringing down Presidents (mostly inadvertently!) but seeing them kill the President is a step too far? Weird.

Benteen  I laughed at the hilariously inept hitman sent to kill Jordan.

Especially given he's a former member of MI:5 (though I think he had a relatively ignominious death on Spooks, too).

RedHeadZombie Wonder why the poor computer boy is laying there bleeding to death instead of calling 911.

Maybe he did – without realising it’s 999 in the UK! It's a shame that in 24's London there are no people around to help him out, London being perpetually deserted as it is.

3girlsforus From the beginning her position has felt like kind of a sick 'daughter acting as First Lady'

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly her position (especially since her mother is dead).

About the Alzheimer's...in earlier episodes I didn't get the impression that Heller was only about a year away from having the disease full-blown.  So Heller won't/wouldn't have made it through the term.  Well, maybe he figured that no other President has done that lately, so why not? LOL

Hey, why no pardon for Chloe?

Just loving the actors, especially Kiefer, Devane and Margot. Very disappointed with Chloe, not Mary Lynn's acting, but the character's role this season. We need more Potato Face! Was laughing at her sitting at a sleazy bar with her laptop once again, just casually trying to save the world. And nagging to Jack about her working environment.

I love Chloe's laptop! It's neither a Dell nor an Apple, which I think signifies moral greyness.

Hey, why no pardon for Chloe?

This is the only piece of this that makes me think that Chloe might have been able to avert Heller's death at the last minute.  Doing so would surely result in a Presidential pardon. 

Did like that they actually had Lady Stark keep her word (her son, on the other hand...). Nice to know there is honour among terrorists.

WhoAmIWorkingFor And of course, who is Vice President Evil going to be?

Nicole Palmer!

Giant Misfit Jack digging out the transponder from Heller's arm...and then closing the gaping wound with a Band-Aid.

Well, assuming the President didn't pull some switcheroo (I don't think so, but it could happen), it's not as if it needed to last very long.

GaryE Great. Wembly. Now the Brits are really going to be pissed.

Hey, no biggee. The pitch might need re-turfing and (depending what time of year it is) the Cup Final might have to go to Cardiff and we'll probably have to erect some sort of memorial, but Wembley stadium seemed mostly intact.

(edited)

There is a Canal Fox (Fox Latin America) promo on SpoilerTV, but you probably do not want to be spoiled this much http://

www.spoilertv...-700-pm_19.html

Moved to the appropriate Episode 9 thread

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

Jack: There's a match scheduled to start within the hour!

Chloe: The truck carrying the replacement sod is at least 90 minutes out, Jack.

Jack: DAMMIT, CHLOE! WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

Chloe: *rolls eyes* Fine. *sigh*

• Love 7

Almost all of the material of the pitch should still be there, they just need to put it back into the hole.  Arguably, they have more to work with, since in addition to the dirt and grass there's also bits of President Heller and a missile in the pile.  Of course, all of it is a lot more jumbled than they'd probably like.

I was actually surprised that they have the seats painted to spell out "WEMBLEY."  That seems so... American.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the moment in the helicopter when Jack helpfully pointed out to President Heller, "There it is, sir, Wembley Stadium".  I'm sure he had no idea.

I called it in an earlier thread that Wembley would be a target. Next stop--Waterloo Station! And maybe the Big Brother house at Elstree Studios?

Maybe Chloe had the drone target Pinewood Studios - the shockwaves caused Harrison Ford's injuries.

I just hope Audrey doesn't go all Rainman on us now.  Her character has been annoying to me for quite awhile.  So I hope that doesn't happen again.  Though I do have to admit, she is annoying me less this season than I thought she would. 

And maybe the next drone missle can take out Craven Cottage.  After all, Fullham Football Club has been relegated anyway.  :)

Wonder if computer boy is still alive.  Seems like an awful waste of screen time for him to escape death and then die anyway due to a silly old diversionary tactic.  So I think he might actually live.  Can see him stroll back into headquarters and just say, "It's just a flesh wound!" 

• Love 1

Wonder if computer boy is still alive.  Seems like an awful waste of screen time for him to escape death and then die anyway due to a silly old diversionary tactic.  So I think he might actually live.  Can see him stroll back into headquarters and just say, "It's just a flesh wound!" 

LOL brgjoe, when that bullet hit him, he was all: "Message for you, sir!"

I called it in an earlier thread that Wembley would be a target. Next stop--Waterloo Station! And maybe the Big Brother house at Elstree Studios?

Picadilly, the Old Bailey, and the Drones Club.

How about Logan? He attempted suicide, shooting himself in the head, in Season 8. But I believe the paramedics said he'd live but be brain damaged. Well, maybe the brain damage wasn't so bad and he got a huge sympathy vote. Hey man, the "24" world is a crazy one! At any rate it would be hilarious. I'd love it if they like totally jumped the shark and made the remaining episodes into a sort of self parody, poking fun at its very preposterousness.

With the president, who's confined to a wheelchair and communicates through a brain implant, about to issue a critical executive order, Chloe finds herself in a high stakes cyber battle with terrorist hackers for control over the interface.

Favorite part of the episode: Jack digging out the transponder from Heller's arm...and then closing the gaping wound with a Band-Aid.

It was just a flesh wound.

I've not watched 24 before this version, but I am hooked.  Even with its flaws, it is still has some very suspenseful moments.  

Wow, it's great to see Jack and 24 again and I'm enjoying it, but this season doesn't compare to many of the earlier seasons.  I highly recommend going back and watching from Season 1.  You'll be hooked and unlike most of us, you won't have to wait a week to see how the cliffhanger(s) come out.

Truly one of the great actions shows of alltime.

• Love 1

I am digging this much shorter season, I have no idea when or how they will do the time jump and hope to remain unspoiled. I am super glad this isn't taking place in LA so I don't have to yell about it being impossible to go from point A to B in the time they do. I'm all for suspending reality but the rules of LA rush hour traffic are rules of the universe. Even Jack Bauer can't control them.

You don't know Jack.  :)

theredhead77, on 17 Jun 2014 - 9:52 PM, said:

You don't know Jack.  :)

Well to be fair, London traffic isn't much better but this time around, Jack seems to have a personal helicopter at his disposal so he can pop around over London town...

brgjoe And maybe the next drone missle can take out Craven Cottage.  After all, Fullham Football Club has been relegated anyway.

For a moment I thought you were suggesting that they faked out Lady Stark by hacking the missile and targeting a different football ground and that Heller was running (or rather, flying) between them. "Damn! He's not at The Valley - how about Griffin Park?"

• Love 1