Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Roast in Peace

• Start Topic

The All Stars compete in a comedy roast and must write and perform a “Rulogy” for a drag legend, Lady Bunny. Extra special guest judges: SNL’s Cecily Strong and Yvette Nicole Brown.

Airs January 11, 2019.

I'm reminded of Season 10 when the guest choreographer was Alyssa Edwards and she kept telling them to go "Bigger".  We kind of need her going "Bigger"  every episode.

I definitely thought Monique Heart was much better than everyone else in the bottom. 

I love Cecily Strong, but she reminded me of Todrick Hall in her advising session. (I looked up how to spell his name and he's now besties with Taylor Swift. Good for him!)

The change-up is  ahhhhhhhh!

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

OMG, what a great episode (one of the best I remember on the show lately at least). Great challenge, great runway and the gag/twist.. But before talk about it, my opinion on each queen delivery this week/how I would rank them:

Mone´t: What I turn around for her... So strong at the roast (from what they showed, the best) and her runway? Not only her personal best but one of the best of the night. Very good lip sync (It was close but if it was up to choose one, she should have won). A great week for her.

Manila: Manila is keeping her momentum... At the roast she also owned me the minute she walked at Lady Bunny and decoied (comical face its one of her strenghts so she got that right from the beginning) and she kept good all the way. Runway was kind predictable (after last week Ru censoring her bigger runway idea makes me wonder tho) and it pailed it comparison with Trinity´s but it was nice. Her lip sync was good despite once again having a song that fits the other queen better.

Monique: Last time we had a roast we saw that play a character could mean shot yourself in your foot so I was worried for Monique but she made it work,  specially because the character was a match for the challenge, not something random.. As the judges said tho, she lost the focus of the roast a little bit because she was giving so much of the character. Runway look was ok, some good parts, some not so good (didnt liked how she used the feathers, her feathers look on season 10 was waaaay better).

Trinity: Michelle got it right, she tried to do too much, pushed herself too far that her jokes didnt land as they should (some of them tho, there wasnt a good way to land them). Her runway was top notch tho, beautiful!

Valentina: As we saw, the most funny parts of her roast was because how awkward/bad her acting was (it was like a child playing for the parents... with is cute for a child but for her... it was more awkward). She had some good ideas but her delivery is mess. As far the runway, doesnt matter to me how much expensive is your dress/fabric if it makes look like you are wrapped on a druvet that doesnt make any good for your body/ makes your walk very limited. 

Naomi: Ouch, the roast was rough and the most awkward too watch (Valentina you could laught at her, with Naomi you would feel sad for her). Runway.. I didnt loved it this time.. I see a pattern with her runway this season: Shes always trying to add a extra layer to the runway theme, with sometimes works but its not needed always and this, for me, how she was playing Prince took me away from the ´´Angelic White`` theme.

If it was to send someone home, it would need to be between Valentina or Naomi.. I think Naomi did a little worst this week/is really fading in the background, in other hand, Valentina is kinda following the same route for her season: Very promissing start, a victory on week 2/become a front runner, than little cracks starts to show, limitations are exposed and her ego/fantasy blindfold her making her believe shes a winner so...

And about the twist, gonna have to wait and see. Just hope no one gets robbed.. Like, right now, it should be Valentina and Naomi to be worried on be replaced for a eliminated queen. But lets see how it plays (I just hope they dont give too much power to the queens to make stupid decisions as on season 3).

• Love 6

I loved Ru's workroom suit today!  Interesting that she actually did the tour and gave critiques, even though it was just one of so many elements that made this episode longer then ever.  I thought Naomi was definitely the weakest player, she's been fading away the whole season and now she's in the bottom, so bye (though if someone chose Trinity's lipstick, like next week's preview implies, I would have lived for that.)  But I guess Naomi can prove herself next week? After reading Latrice's interviews where she brought the bitter and blamed her bad performance in court on Monet/Monique (since it's always somebody else's fault) I'm not really thrilled about seeing her back, and the rest of the returning gurls look fabulous, but none of them are serious competition.   Honestly, I'd prefer an all-stars format where no one went home and we had maximum time for the queens to shine. 

I honestly thought the top this week was going to be Manilla/Monique again, since they were both so hilarious, but they put the latter in the bottom just to maximize the drama.  Manilla certainly has redeemed herself from that terrible sesame street standup back in S3. I wasn't into Monet or Monique's runway looks, however, I'm over the endless swimsuit/leotards.   

Edited by Glade
  • Love 3

Wow, Naomi, Valentina, and Trinity were painful to watch during that roast. Valentina is seriously delusional if she believes that she did well.

For me, Manila was the clear winner but Monet also did a great job. Monique did well too but I agreed with the judges about how she was at the same level the whole time. In any kind of performance, you need a little bit of variety and you need to give the material room to breathe. I don't think she deserved to be in the bottom. If this challenge had taken place earlier in the season, I think she would have been in the top. It's just that there are so few queens left now.

The runway theme didn't give them a lot of room for variety which is why I loved Naomi's Prince costume. She went outside the box and it totally paid off.

I loved that when all of the contestants in the bottom were pleading their cases, they were all talking about their track records and then Manila pointed out that they all kind of came out even. I mean, what's worse - a queen who has been in the top but who has also been in the bottom of someone who has never been in either the top of the bottom?

I was fine with Manila and Monet both winning the lip sync, but I was really hoping that meant that TWO of the others would be eliminated.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Mayberry said:

I was hoping and praying it would be Naomi going. Then that happened...

Props to Manila for using her experience to her advantage. Being from an earlier season could've hurt her, or could've messed with her head, but instead she's using everything she has learned and showing up these younger queens. You can see how green some of them still are. 

I was hoping Latrice would do the same, but she has always had some weaknesses such as her runway fashion and some of those improv challenges. Most of her strength lies with her personality.

I am disheartened by Valentina. Yes she is pretty and a fashionista but what else is there? She has never been consistent with the challenges.

In a regular week, Monique would've been Top 3. But she is looking a bit too comfortable and seems controlling lately. 

Trinity is also inconsistent, but I like her talking heads and she is not too bitchy.

Monet did really well in the roast!

Valentina is so beautiful and a good queen, but she is not meant for Drag race. She doesnt have that well rounded qualities to stand out besides her beauty.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, DanielleC. said:

If it was to send someone home, it would need to be between Valentina or Naomi.. I think Naomi did a little worst this week/is really fading in the background, in other hand, Valentina is kinda following the same route for her season: Very promissing start, a victory on week 2/become a front runner, than little cracks starts to show, limitations are exposed and her ego/fantasy blindfold her making her believe shes a winner so...

And about the twist, gonna have to wait and see. Just hope no one gets robbed.. Like, right now, it should be Valentina and Naomi to be worried on be replaced for a eliminated queen. But lets see how it plays (I just hope they dont give too much power to the queens to make stupid decisions as on season 3).

I'm guessing Valentina got at least one vote to go.  I thought her roast was 2nd to worst next to Naomi, but Naomi's runway was the best out of everyone.  

• Love 4

I was so over Manila with her performative cry-faces over Latrice (which, don't get me wrong--I LOVE me some Latrice Royale), but now I'm kind of falling for him again because of the sock garters. Werk those calves, girl!

Not that it's important, but I drank a weird blue cocktail, called the Aquacade in honor of Esther Williams, with Lady Bunny at some hidden bar on Church Street when we went to New York for the Stonewall 35 celebration. It was magical.

• Love 5

I do not understand the point of saying "if you're not in the top, you're in the bottom" one moment and then turning around and saying "nevermind, no eliminations at all". At best it's 30 seconds of extra suspense on air and probably a few hours tension for the contestants. It makes me think there's some producer intervention going on where they strongly objected to whoever both of them voted for and thus changed the rule, which is their prerogative but it was immensely unsatisfying to watch. Unless it was just that they reallly reallly felt strongly about a tie on the win but really didn't want to do a double elimination, and they voted for different people. Either way though, the second twist (no elimination)made the first (not top=bottom) just weird and pointless seeming.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Silly Angel said:

I was so over Manila with her performative cry-faces over Latrice (which, don't get me wrong--I LOVE me some Latrice Royale), but now I'm kind of falling for him again because of the sock garters. Werk those calves, girl!

Millenia Decade did a funny parody, including lots of fake Manila crying. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Stenbeck said:

Trinity looked absolutely GORGEOUS in her white angel drag. Beautiful. 

I'm falling in love with Trinity and Manila this season. I don't really follow or know much about the queens outside the show, but those two never made a big an impression on me before. Not sure why, because Manila especially is enchanting to watch.

• Love 4

Yay, nobody went home! And I love me some Lady Bunny! It's funny how everybody made jokes about how old she is when, to me at least, she looks waaaay younger than she actually is. (Well, a lot of it is due to make-up probably, but still.)

I don't remember the contestants having any problems in AS2 when Roxxxy was kept in for umpteen times instead of some who, quite frankly, deserved to be there more than her (*cough*ALYSSA*cough*). And suddenly it's a crime of the fucking century if Manila wants to keep her friend in? Please.

The editing told me Trinity wasn't going to be doing well, but damn, she really didn't do well. She's FUNNY! Why isn't her stand-up funny? (I KNOW it's more complicated than that.) I thought Monet did really good; Manila & Monique were OK.

I'd like to keep Naomi in just because her runways are friggin' AWESOME.

12 hours ago, 2727 said:

I'm falling in love with Trinity and Manila this season. I don't really follow or know much about the queens outside the show, but those two never made a big an impression on me before. Not sure why, because Manila especially is enchanting to watch.

This! I liked Trinity fine on her season, but now it's some next level shit. And Manila - it's been a while since I watched S3 (need to re-watch) and I don't remember that much about it, I just remember Manila calling everyone a bugger and I was like "eh, I don't like her". :D Come AS1 and I'm like "I think she's okay after all" and now she's hands down my favorite - one of my all-time favorite queens, even. Funny how that happens! 

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 1

On a report card level, I thought it was looking like Naomi's time to go -- except that her Prince outfit was next-level. Like, I think that's what Prince is wearing in heaven except when Vanity is wearing it. But had Valentina been picked, I would've been okay with it. Her last three runways have been severely underwhelming, and she was terrible. Trinity was even worse possibly, but her runway was so perfect (outside of an eerie resemblance to the current First Lady, sorry to say). Manilla and Monet all day for the wins. Personal best runway look for Monet. FROM NOW ON, QUEEN. FROM NOW ON. 

Anyway, I figured the eliminated queens had to come back at some point, but having no eliminations made me bummed. Still, living for next week, y'all!

Finally, what can be said about Lady Bunny that wasn't run into the ground already? I loved that she showed them how a roast was done after they finished...uh...maiming it. I just adore Bunny and I'm always happy when she graces RuPaul's stage.

• Love 5

For me, Manila was best, followed very closely by Monet.  Monique was a distant third for me.  I'd have Trinity in 4th despite the disastrous roast because she slayyyyyed the runway.  That would leave Valentina in 5th (bad roast, no eye make-up, delusional) in 5th and Naomi Smalls in 6th because ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Interesting to see how things move forward.

5 hours ago, Rosenrot said:

I don't remember the contestants having any problems in AS2 when Roxxxy was kept in for umpteen times instead of some who, quite frankly, deserved to be there more than her (*cough*ALYSSA*cough*). And suddenly it's a crime of the fucking century if Manila wants to keep her friend in? Please.

Roxxy became a joke tho and is still thought of has not deserving . she became the joke queen .......even the queens who have been on the show make fun of it how she was carried to the end and didn't deserve or work her way up . I honestly dont think any queen now wants the reputation ....she wasn't serious competition to anyone and was only saved by her two friends .... when the excause to save a queen because she loaned you a shirt 2 days before is the only reason to keep her you know you aint getting those big bookings after that airs lol

Edited by Keywestclubkid
On 1/14/2019 at 9:27 AM, Rosenrot said:

Yay, nobody went home! And I love me some Lady Bunny! It's funny how everybody made jokes about how old she is when, to me at least, she looks waaaay younger than she actually is. (Well, a lot of it is due to make-up probably, but still.)

The editing told me Trinity wasn't going to be doing well, but damn, she really didn't do well. She's FUNNY! Why isn't her stand-up funny? (I KNOW it's more complicated than that.) I thought Monet did really good; Manila & Monique were OK.

I'd like to keep Naomi in just because her runways are friggin' AWESOME.

This! I liked Trinity fine on her season, but now it's some next level shit. And Manila - it's been a while since I watched S3 (need to re-watch) and I don't remember that much about it, I just remember Manila calling everyone a bugger and I was like "eh, I don't like her". :D Come AS1 and I'm like "I think she's okay after all" and now she's hands down my favorite - one of my all-time favorite queens, even. Funny how that happens! 

Trinity said on Twitter that the hardest part of the roast is the writing; this is also what befell Jasmine. There's a lot that goes into writing and delivering a good punchline.

Lady bunny was a DJ at a club I frequent and we lip synched a techno version of Mariah Carey's "I Want to Know What Love Is" and it was a MOMENT.

Edited by JakeyJokes
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, ladle said:

I love Manila and I think she's just on a whole different level from many of these queens.  That said, I thought Monet clearly won the lip sync.

She’s really on (and has always been on) the Drag Race Icon-level at this point, like Raja, Katya, and Bianca del Rio. The younger queens should take note this is how a STAH kills it consistently!

• Love 8
16 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:

Trinity said on Twitter that the hardest part of the roast is the writing; this is also what befell Jasmine. There's a lot that goes into writing and delivering a good punchline.

Lady bunny was a DJ at a club I frequent and we lip synched a techno version of Mariah Carey's "I Want to Know What Love Is" and it was a MOMENT.

That is awesome. I love hearing about stuff like that because it's so absurdly far away from my own life - I live a zillion miles from the US and even if did live there, I can't imagine myself casually going clubbing in NY or LA or wherever.

(Sorry OT)

• Love 2

Yeah, I never found the MacArthur Park lip synch that impressive

I've been surprisingly unimpressed by any of her lipsyncs this season.  And she was NOT a co winner last night compared to Monique? That said, I want her to win the Allstars because she is drag royalty, and she has the best legs in drag (even more so than Naomi, whose makeup is awful)

I have no idea who Monet/Manila would have elminated if they had done that. I think Monet would have picked Naomi or Valentina since they were the weakest last night and they have won the least of the all girls up for elimination. Manila might have elminated anybody including Trinity. Maybe that's why the shake-up?

Edited by Temperance
15 hours ago, latincoffee said:

Valentina should have gone home and she's lucky that Ru twisted the game. 

Correct. I've always disliked when this show brings queens back. The only time it worked was on All Stars 2. And even more, it was one of the very few times the double shantay felt earned as well. Manila is the girl I'm rooting for, but Monet won that lip-sync.

Speaking of, Naomi and Gia's was the only one that entertained. Like Willam would say, "I would have given it some money."

Edited by Amello
  • Love 1
On 1/14/2019 at 12:44 PM, slaterain said:

The best part of the whole episode was Miss Bunny dying again at the end - "Let me see if I get this right... Miss Bunny... Miss Bunny... Miss Bunny" Tears were rolling, I was laughing so much!!! 

Finally got to watch this and Lady Bunny's shoutout to Vangie was killer. LOVE that old ho. And was that a Henny sighting at the funeral or am I just randomly seeing queens wherever I look?! LOL

This is Manila's to lose unless we see some shenanigans (eyes producers wearily). 

• Love 5
On 1/19/2019 at 11:52 AM, Amello said:

Speaking of, Naomi and Gia's was the only one that entertained. Like Willam would say, "I would have given it some money."

Naomi's crazy back bend to parallel in those crazy heels was insane!!!! crazy core strength and flexibility!

• Love 4