Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

21 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

The Netflix shows, especially, have cast film caliber actors in Charlie Cox, Kristen Ritter, Vincent D'Onofrio, Sigorney Weaver, Jon Bernthal, Alfre Woodard, Mahershala Ali, David Tennant, and Wai Ching Ho

One of whom is an Oscar winner, two more of whom are Oscar nominees, multiple times in Weaver's case.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

*makes a note to find Agents of SHIELD*

As much as I've mentioned it, you would think that I loved it. I don't. The first part of season 1 is terrible. The show was forced to tread water until Winter Soldier. I would recommend skipping most of season 1. Season 2 is really where the show starts to find itself. By season 3, it is pretty good. Season 4 is its best season. And I love its subtle allusions to the films in season 4.

For me, it's the MCU's version of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine--meaning it's the place where they can do a deep dive into Marvel esoterica (Agent Carter also served the same function) and really ruminate in a world where weird Marvel stuff actually exists. Tony can make jokes about Life Model Decoys (LMDs) in the movies, but those subjects could only be fully explored on a TV show. And as much as Ike Perlmutter wanted to make Inhumans the MCU version of mutants, Inhumans have a much higher hill to climb. The 90s X-Men cartoon was immensely popular. It got primetime ratings. Additionally, it's just easier to explain mutation. With Inhumans, there is the complicated backstory of the Kree Skrull conflict and the experimentation on humans. It's more than a single film can support. And I think Guardians did an awful job with the Kree and the Nova Corps.

Agents of SHIELD is not a perfect show, but it tries. And I love that they did a much better version of Secret Empire than Marvel.

I loved Agent Carter. Not everything worked, but it was mostly amazing. And once again I loved the deep dive into the Red Room Academy, which they'd only have time for in a standalone Black Widow movie or a TV show.

• Love 8

I have been reading a lot of the articles on where the remaining Soul Stone is, but I've only seen a few that speculate that it's on Wakanda.  I'm only familiar with the comics through Wiki articles, which seems to add support to it being on Wakanda too, and that would seem the logical place for it to be to me (not least because of Black Panther coming out right before Infinity War), and it would seem to fit really well with the Wakandan 'afterlife' belief that T'Challla told Natasha about in CW... so I guess I'm curious why there isn't more speculation that it's in Wakanda.   Anyone have any ideas?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Wynterwolf said:

I have been reading a lot of the articles on where the remaining Soul Stone is, but I've only seen a few that speculate that it's on Wakanda.  I'm only familiar with the comics through Wiki articles, which seems to add support to it being on Wakanda too, and that would seem the logical place for it to be to me (not least because of Black Panther coming out right before Infinity War), and it would seem to fit really well with the Wakandan 'afterlife' belief that T'Challla told Natasha about in CW... so I guess I'm curious why there isn't more speculation that it's in Wakanda.   Anyone have any ideas?

T’Challa is also the King of the dead so having the soul stone in Wakanda makes sense. Plus they need to introduce it like they did the other infinity stones and Infinity War will have so much going on that Black Panther seems like the last movie to introduce it. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Jazzy24 said:

Plus they need to introduce it like they did the other infinity stones and Infinity War will have so much going on that Black Panther seems like the last movie to introduce it. 

Right?!  It almost seems to me like where else would it be.  

Plus:

Spoiler

With the scenes from the IW trailer with T'Challa and his warriors, Bucky, and maybe Steve all fighting together, it would fit with that as well.  

• Love 1

Has the Infinity War teaser or trailer been released yet? We didn't see it before Thor Ragnarok. 

Can someone clear this minor spoiler up for me re: Ragnarok and Infinity War?

Spoiler

I keep seeing people mention Beta Ray Bill on the Grandmaster's tower, but any time someone points out that he's probably dead if he was the previous champion before Hulk, someone else comments that he's seen in the Infinity War trailer. Is that true? I just don't see introducing him in Infinity War with all the characters they've already got. 

This is an interesting rundown of stuff that was changed or not used from Ragarok and includes a small bit on Beta Ray Bill, with his likeness being on the tower on Sakaar, but it's also reported that KevinF says he could show up later.

And the Infinity War trailer hasn't officially been released yet, but several bootleg copies showed up on youtube and various other places after D23 and Comic Con, so a lot of us were able to see it before Marvel/Disney hunted them all down and deleted them.  

There's also talk on that video that people expected to see the Soul Stone in Thor, but I've always associated Thor more with the Tesseract (Space Stone), so it honestly never occurred to me that we'd see anything on the Soul Stone in Thor. 

And I'm assuming that the Tesseract is going to be the first 'stone' that Thanos acquires, presumably from Loki... but whether it's willingly given to gain favor, or as a trade to save the Asgardian people, or with Thanos 'tricking' Loki into give it to him, I don't know... all of those things seem possible.  And I think it would be fitting for to be the first, since it was the Tesseract that has basically started everything we've seen in the MCU.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

I suspect that there isn't speculation about the Soul Stone being in Wakanda because they seem to be positioning Wakanda as a purely terrestrial equivalent to places like Asgard, Xandar, and many of the alien locations. A place of wonders and fantastically advanced science, but fundamentally human and completely unknown to most humans. I think they suspect that having an Infinity Stone might undermine that achievement narratively. I've seen speculation that the Soul Stone is behind Odin's eyepatch or in Heimdall's possession.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I think they suspect that having an Infinity Stone might undermine that achievement narratively.

Interesting.  Thanks for that insight.  I guess that would depend on what the MCU Soul Stone would do for whomever had it (in this context, I see it as having a more spiritual value).  I think you can make the argument that since Howard had the Tesseract since the '40s, a lot of Stark's (both father and son) achievements were probably aided by it in some way, but it doesn't (to me, at least) detract from the fact that both Howard and Tony were/are geniuses.  

Edited by Wynterwolf

They could always start Infinity War off with Thanos finding the Soul Stone out in space somewhere (possibly in the possession of the Sovereign given the Adam Warlock connection?). With the Space Stone and Time Stone on Earth for centuries and the Reality Stone in some weird space warp accessible from Earth since ~3,000 B.C., it might be piling on one coincidence too many to have the Soul Stone also hidden away somewhere on the same planet.

• Love 2

I think all the stones have been some how connected to or discovered by an earth-human, though, right?  And the only one that doesn't appear yet to have spent any time on earth is the Power Stone that Quill had.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

They could always start Infinity War off with Thanos finding the Soul Stone out in space somewhere (possibly in the possession of the Sovereign given the Adam Warlock connection?). With the Space Stone and Time Stone on Earth for centuries and the Reality Stone in some weird space warp accessible from Earth since ~3,000 B.C., it might be piling on one coincidence too many to have the Soul Stone also hidden away somewhere on the same planet.

That's what i was thinking. Instead of the last stone showing up in Black Panther, the first act of IW could be Thanos racing against or battling against the Guardians or something in order to get that last stone. 

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

21st Century Fox has been holding talks to sell most of the company to Disney: Sources

If this deal goes through, it looks like Marvel would regain the movie rights to The X Men and Fantastic Four.

Except for the Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, and maybe the Shi'ar, I don't think getting those Fox properties is any huge improvement. I don't think the X-Men really fit with the MCU, excluding the Netflix shows. The MCU is particularly unconcerned with the mundane ins and outs of daily life, but that's ultimately what the grand battles of the X-Men are about. It doesn't feel like a good fit.

• Love 1

I think Disney really wants full rights to Avatar, the rest is gravy.  And they have proved with Spiderman: Homecoming that they can successfully reboot a property that already had a lot of relatively recent screen activity.  Plus with their expanded web-based media outlet, a lot of these properties are ripe for refreshed animated, or smaller serialized treatment.

Edited by Wynterwolf
44 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Except for the Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, and maybe the Shi'ar, I don't think getting those Fox properties is any huge improvement. I don't think the X-Men really fit with the MCU, excluding the Netflix shows. The MCU is particularly unconcerned with the mundane ins and outs of daily life, but that's ultimately what the grand battles of the X-Men are about. It doesn't feel like a good fit.

My biggest worry is if Disney got their hands on the X-Men, then Wolverine would take over the MCU, just because he is such a popular character. The great thing about the MCU is that they didn't originally have access to these super popular characters, so they had to be more creative with their charactersI really believe if they had access to the X-Men from the start we would have never gotten a Guardians of the Galaxy movie. People think Tony Stark takes over the MCU, but if they got a half decent actor for Logan it would be a million times worse.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

. People think Tony Stark takes over the MCU, but if they got a half decent actor for Logan it would be a million times worse.

Not for nothing, but I wouldn't wish being the next Wolverine on anyone. As brutal and  bleak as Jackman's final turn as Logan was, as a swan song it'd be hard to follow, and I don't think it would be at all easy to recast the role. As the poster you're responding to said, the X Men and the Avengers don't really mesh, and again, I wouldn't want to be the person dealing with the wrath of the fandom if I was chosen and the movie didn't turn out one hundred percent perfect.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

My biggest worry is if Disney got their hands on the X-Men, then Wolverine would take over the MCU, just because he is such a popular character.

Wasn't Storm an Avenger at one point too?

8 hours ago, xaxat said:

21st Century Fox has been holding talks to sell most of the company to Disney: Sources

If this deal goes through, it looks like Marvel would regain the movie rights to The X Men and Fantastic Four.

I really don’t care about this anymore. I have always loved the X-Men but the way Fox has handled them have caused me to distaste nearly all things X-Men, especially their movies. 

Marvel doesnt need these properties and if they had them I think they would have to be shelved for a while and then rebooted. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

My biggest worry is if Disney got their hands on the X-Men, then Wolverine would take over the MCU, just because he is such a popular character. The great thing about the MCU is that they didn't originally have access to these super popular characters, so they had to be more creative with their charactersI really believe if they had access to the X-Men from the start we would have never gotten a Guardians of the Galaxy movie. People think Tony Stark takes over the MCU, but if they got a half decent actor for Logan it would be a million times worse.

I disagree with this. 

I think Marvel and especially Feige would look at Fox X-men movies and use it as a formula on what NOT to do when doing the movies. Marvel Mutants, X-Men are probably the most diverse (in race and abilities)comics teams out there and seeing the heat Marvel has gotten after all these movies and years with finally putting out a non white male focused movie I don’t think they would mess it up. I mean Marvel must see the hype around Black Panther and the anticipation for Captain Marvel I really don’t think that they would mess up the X-Men by obsessing over Wolverine. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Jazzy24 said:

I disagree with this. 

I think Marvel and especially Feige would look at Fox X-men movies and use it as a formula on what NOT to do when doing the movies. Marvel Mutants, X-Men are probably the most diverse (in race and abilities)comics teams out there and seeing the heat Marvel has gotten after all these movies and years with finally putting out a non white male focused movie I don’t think they would mess it up. I mean Marvel must see the hype around Black Panther and the anticipation for Captain Marvel I really don’t think that they would mess up the X-Men by obsessing over Wolverine. 

They don't even have to see hype, they have box office numbers on what their comic book B-team has done compared to the book's A-team of Wolverine and Spider-Man. Use him sure, take over the franchise  even after Chris Evans  and Robert Downey Jr retires their suits. I doubt it, they found a winning formula

45 minutes ago, Jazzy24 said:

I disagree with this. 

I don't know, given how omnipresent RDJ/Iron Man has become in all the Marvel movies, I think fixating on one X-Men character is pretty in-character for the Marvel movie brain trust.

I kind of imagine that, while Marvel X-Men movies would a) write X-characters that actually retain their basic comics personalities, b) write female characters much better than the Fox X-movies (not that the MCU has been great with female characters but the Fox X-movies are pretty awful), and c) cast the roles much better, Marvel X-Men movies would probably still fixate on Professor X, Magneto, and Wolverine, and leave everyone else relatively underdeveloped.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I don't know, given how omnipresent RDJ/Iron Man has become in all the Marvel movies, I think fixating on one X-Men character is pretty in-character for the Marvel movie brain trust.

I kind of imagine that, while Marvel X-Men movies would a) write X-characters that actually retain their basic comics personalities, b) write female characters much better than the Fox X-movies (not that the MCU has been great with female characters but the Fox X-movies are pretty awful), and c) cast the roles much better, Marvel X-Men movies would probably still fixate on Professor X, Magneto, and Wolverine, and leave everyone else relatively underdeveloped.

I don’t know, I mean I can see your point but I think the X-Men are just too diverse for Marvel to mess up. The thing about the X-Men is that they all have such interesting stories to tell and Fox have never done them justice. I think Marvel being a studio that take chances would definitely see the unexplored characters that have been neglected and give them a chance. Maybe you’re right and I just have too much faith in Marvel, if it does happed(and I hope it does)some of my favorite characters like Cyclops, Storm, Iceman, Magik, etc... I hope would get a chance to properly shine. 

• Love 1

I'd be happy to see Disney get the X-Men because it would mean they would stop getting ignored in the comics.  And maybe they would officially stop trying to make the Inhumans a thing.

Getting not just the X-Men but the Fantastic Four, Shi'ar, Silver Surfer, Galactus...hell, even something not as well known as The Savage Land.  It would complete the Marvel Universe.

I would be worried about Wolverine taking over things though.  The best thing about Disney not having the X-Men and Spider-Man for Avengers is that it allowed them to develop and make bigger characters like Iron Man and Thor.  Cap too.  If they had had those other characters, Spider-Man and Wolverine would have been the focus of the Avengers movie and those two are NOT Avengers.  Despite having been put on the team a decade ago.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

I really don’t care about this anymore. I have always loved the X-Men but the way Fox has handled them have caused me to distaste nearly all things X-Men, especially their movies. 

But Marvel can save them, I'm sure of it! ?

In all serious I'm a huge X-Men fan, started reading the comics in 92 and pretty much loved them since I first learned of Mutants/X-Men from Spiderman and His Amazing Friends (even if their Wolverine was Australian). I loathed want FOX did to the X-Men, I can't even bring myself to watch The Gifted (I hear it's good) and rolled my eyes at the trailer for New Mutants before Thor in Sunday. 

I just want to see Spideypool and Capt/Wolverine (throw in Clint for fun, Nat can show up and call Wolverine Little Uncle), Coulson can get exasperated over Dead pool, it'll be fun!

Oh and then we can get the Shi'ar in the GotG, maybe even some Skrulls. 

Basically I want this video to happen.

• Love 2

I wouldn't want to see Disney control and water down Deadpool though.

The Gifted is actually a pretty good show but I'm not happy with The New Mutants trailer.  That series was awesome and I don't know what the hell they're doing with it.

1 hour ago, benteen said:

I wouldn't want to see Disney control and water down Deadpool though.

The Gifted is actually a pretty good show but I'm not happy with The New Mutants trailer.  That series was awesome and I don't know what the hell they're doing with it.

I don't think they would water down Deadpool movies, if it was a Spideypool thing, yeah they would protect Spider-man. Obviously they're not watering down Punisher, I realize its Netflix but, I think people underestimate the fact what Disney is willing to do with their Marvel and Star Wars brands.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

I still am willing to cut Fox a ton of slack with respect to the X-Men movies just because of how ground breaking X-Men was and how good of a movie X2 was. Plus if another studio were to reboot the X-Men you know they would go back to old bald Xavier, and I can't imagine an old bald Xavier being anywhere near as good as Patrick Stewart.

9 hours ago, benteen said:

I would be worried about Wolverine taking over things though.  The best thing about Disney not having the X-Men and Spider-Man for Avengers is that it allowed them to develop and make bigger characters like Iron Man and Thor.  Cap too.  If they had had those other characters, Spider-Man and Wolverine would have been the focus of the Avengers movie and those two are NOT Avengers.  Despite having been put on the team a decade ago.

I was reading comics in the late 90's and early 2000's and from my memory at the time Wolverine was appearing in 2 X-Men titles plus a Wolverine comic. The only character who made more appearances was Spidey because there were 4 spiderman titles a month. On top of that both characters showed up in cartoons and video games. Your absolutely right if Marvel had access to those characters there probably never would have been Captain America or Thor movies.

• Love 1

Popping in here amidst the marvel/fox discussion to say that i finally watched ant-man, and my quest to catch up on the mcu movies is continuing. I've given up on age of ultron for the time being as someone suggested to me earlier in this thread. I'm still like a whole phase behind. Lol.

I found ant-man to be pretty enjoyable. The villain concept was nothing new, but i liked the heist theme and the ants reminded me of honey, i shrunk the kids (which is a good thing, i think). Enjoyed the cast and the battles were pretty neat. Enjoyable film.

• Love 2

I looooved Ant Man, I don't know... it just had a really intimate feel.  And I think one of the main things that Marvel/Disney has done so extremely well is casting.  All the actors mesh so well together and I think that elevates even a pedestrian storyline.  And it took place in San Francisco, so that made me happy too. I can't wait for the next one.  

• Love 6

I agree, Ant Man was a good movie.  Plus it's been so long since Honey I Shrunk the Kids and not many movies do the shrinking thing.  Michael Pena stole the show.

As for the potential buyout, I kind of hope Disney would keep the mutants separated for the time being.  I'd bring in the Fantastic Four but the X-Men don't really mesh right now.  You could do something with mutants just appearing and the Sarkovia Accords but it would quite be the X-Men.  It could work, but I'd much prefer what we're getting right now.  Essentially stand alone movies that aren't the standard superhero movie like X-Men Apocalypse (yes I know it came out the same year as my good examples).  While X-Men 1 and 2 were good movies (especially for the time), I've seen enough bog standard fair to last me a while.  I much prefer what we got with Logan, Deadpool and shows like Legion and Gifted which all used the mutant backdrop but tell very different tales from save world from bad guy.  I didn't care for the New Mutants trailer I saw but I do think a horror or Breakfast Club take on mutants could work pretty well.  Look at Spiderman Homecoming.  Yes there was a villain to beat but the stakes were low and it all tied into Peter being a highschool student.  Ant-man was more of a heist movie, Winter Soldier was a political thriller, Dr Strange was a trippy magic movie.  Thor was more of an adventure movie than anything else.    So I'd much prefer Disney or even Fox just leaves the main X-Men off the table for a while and just do these independent interesting takes.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Matt K said:

As for the potential buyout, I kind of hope Disney would keep the mutants separated for the time being.  I'd bring in the Fantastic Four but the X-Men don't really mesh right now.  You could do something with mutants just appearing and the Sarkovia Accords but it would quite be the X-Men.  It could work, but I'd much prefer what we're getting right now.  

The problem is the MCU gave a reason for the Inhumans to fill that roll. I guess that environmental damage from the Battle of New York could cause a generation of mutations and far down the line when there is no question about RDJ's and the two Chris's retirements the phase X of the MCU could have the explosion of public mutants.

I think it's so funny that we're all vexed by what might happen to the MCU if Disney acquires parts of Fox, when the real reason Disney wants Fox is for The Simpsons, Futurama, How I met Your Mother, and other TV properties. Disney wants to use these Fox properties to build up their own streaming service and destroy Netflix. I think reacquiring X-Men and Fantastic Four is an added bonus, but not the primary motivation for the purchase. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if there is no real attempt to integrate anything. Although, Disney should think about slotting the Fantastic Four in because Fox shit the bed on that property, the MCU has already moved into outer space, the existing MCU actors are becoming prohibitively expensive, and Marvel is going to have to come up with new stories to tell in phase 4 and beyond.

With the X-Men, there are already beloved portrayals from that franchise. It doesn't matter how badly Fox screwed it up, there would be outrage recasting some of these characters. I just think about the outcry every time they recast Spider-Man and imagine it being magnified ten times. Additionally, the X-Men movies still make money. That franchise has made $5 billion on a budget of $1.4 billion. And it's a fairly resilient franchise with later films making as much or more money than earlier films. There's no good reason to try to integrate the X-Men in the MCU other than wanting to give yourself an unnecessary migraine if you're Kevin Feige.

• Love 3

I may not be the biggest X-Men fan right now but X-Men is Marvel and I’ll always stand by the idea that X-Men needs to be home at Marvel. 

I’ll make this argument over and over for ALL Marvel characters that they should be home with the Avengers and Guardians. Spiderman, other spider characters, The Hulk and X-Men needs to be home and I think/hope that time is coming much sooner than we think. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jazzy24 said:

I may not be the biggest X-Men fan right now but X-Men is Marvel and I’ll always stand by the idea that X-Men needs to be home at Marvel. 

I’ll make this argument over and over for ALL Marvel characters that they should be home with the Avengers and Guardians. Spiderman, other spider characters, The Hulk and X-Men needs to be home and I think/hope that time is coming much sooner than we think. 

I will admit that I'm wondering if this means they'll bring Quicksilver back, if only because they never should have killed him off in the first place. I'm pretty sure I read that one of the reasons Whedon dispatched ATJ's version of the character so soon is that for legal reasons he couldn't  keep both twins alive since they're technically mutants, depending on which universe the story is dealing with. As much as I know that Wolverine, Xavier and whoever else are much more well-known due to the movies, there's plenty of story there even if they can't hire ATJ or Evan Peters again.

13 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I think it's so funny that we're all vexed by what might happen to the MCU if Disney acquires parts of Fox, when the real reason Disney wants Fox is for The Simpsons, Futurama, How I met Your Mother, and other TV properties. Disney wants to use these Fox properties to build up their own streaming service and destroy Netflix.

Oh yea i never thought about that. With the Fox produced shows and the classic 20th Century Fox film library on top of what Disney already has that could be a hell of a streaming service. Plus doesn't Fox still own a piece of Star Wars? I know they were involved in the original trilogy and distributed the prequels. I am sure if they do still have some ownership Disney would like to get that back.

Just now, Kel Varnsen said:

Oh yea i never thought about that. With the Fox produced shows and the classic 20th Century Fox film library on top of what Disney already has that could be a hell of a streaming service. Plus doesn't Fox still own a piece of Star Wars? I know they were involved in the original trilogy and distributed the prequels. I am sure if they do still have some ownership Disney would like to get that back.

Fox does own the rights to the original Star Wars trilogy and the prequels. Right now, Disney can only show or release the versions of the trilogy that George Lucas has tinkered to death. The remastered, but otherwise untouched versions are still owned by Fox. They'd also get the Avatar sequels.

9 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Fox does own the rights to the original Star Wars trilogy and the prequels. Right now, Disney can only show or release the versions of the trilogy that George Lucas has tinkered to death. The remastered, but otherwise untouched versions are still owned by Fox. They'd also get the Avatar sequels.

Interesting i remember going to the theatrical releases of the original trilogy special editions in the 90's and seeing the 20th Century Fox title card before the "A Long Time Ago...". It would seem that between Star Wars and Avatar some X-men movies would be small potatoes.