Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

24 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Is she out for Kate Bishop or are they still negotiating?

There’s hasn’t been any confirmation. She was asked about it in early November and was cagey. Basically she said it’s not necessarily happening and that everyone will have to wait and see. 

My guess is she’s in but can’t confirm until Marvel decides to officially announce it. 

5 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Is she out for Kate Bishop or are they still negotiating?

I didn't mean Hailee Steinfield specifically, just that I thought we'd see Jessica Jones again in a different 30-something actress about 10 years from now.

I think it's cool they apparently want to keep Matthew Cox and Krysten Ritter. Not surprised they're ditching Finn Jones. He's a cute little thing but wow he is not a lead.

Also, it's being rumored they want to make Jessica Jones gay? Okay. but doesn't this basically trash the canon Jessica Jones/Luke Cage ship that serves as representation for interracial relationships?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I didn't mean Hailee Steinfield specifically, just that I thought we'd see Jessica Jones again in a different 30-something actress about 10 years from now.

I think it's cool they apparently want to keep Matthew Cox and Krysten Ritter. Not surprised they're ditching Finn Jones. He's a cute little thing but wow he is not a lead.

Also, it's being rumored they want to make Jessica Jones gay? Okay. but doesn't this basically trash the canon Jessica Jones/Luke Cage ship that serves as representation for interracial relationships?

Just about all Black men on new shows are now in interracial relationships on TV these days and if Jessica Jones shows up on a movie, perhaps that would make a splash since they are not as common on movies directed at international audiences. The MCU itself gave us a 1940s world were race meant nothing, except for Red Skull to sneer at the Nazis. The Black man/blonde women scene were shown with smiling faced NYC  gangsters in Agent Carter's first season only for it to suddenly become a problem in Agent Carter's second season in LA. But mostly the period were interracial relationships was a thing to make notice of in the canon books and the MCU was jumped over and spent with Steve Rogers in the ice.

As for Jessica Jones the way she was shown going through emotionless sex with men perhaps trying a woman would be good for her, Even if it means Luke Cage left her with child along her journey

As for the four Defenders, the Punisher and their sidekicks the story has been told. They might as well leave it as it stopped with nothing more than a cameo rather than just show up as a different bland person to fit Disney + probable standards and practices. Or show up as some background chorus line  fighter like Howard the Duck that the eagle eyed fans spotted  fighting against the Thanos army in Endgame.

1 minute ago, Bruinsfan said:

I hope he's cool with them CGIing his face over completely into the character's. I was not pleased when the Grandmaster turned out to be just Jeff Goldblum in a caftan.

On the plus side if it is mostly CG and voice work the likelihood of someone walking across the set and distracting him is extremely low.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

And here I thought we were past this kind of drama...not that I am too broken up about it in this particular case. I didn't think that the directing in the first one was particularly impressive once you get past the CGI-heavy scenes, for which you can thank more the CGI department than the director.

Who is actually the writer of the movie btw?

There were bits of Doctor Strange where I really liked the direction, but most of them featured Tilda Swinton so I assume the director and cinematographer woke up and paid special attention while filming when she was around like I did while watching. Most of the rest was pretty pedestrian and forgettable except the CGI work, as swanpride said.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Honestly Dr. Strange is the only MCU movie I’ve ever fallen asleep in so whoever they hire can’t be worse. Strange was handled MUCH better in Infinity War than his solo effort.

That's because he was Doctor Strange. In his movie he was Dr. Stephen Strange, who only became Doctor Strange when he said, "Dormmamu, I've come to bargain."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

That's because he was Doctor Strange. In his movie he was Dr. Stephen Strange, who only became Doctor Strange when he said, "Dormmamu, I've come to bargain."

I woke up for that part! I didn't know what was happening so I fell back to sleep until Chiwetel killed Benjamin Bratt for reasons I'm still not clear on. 

17 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Honestly Dr. Strange is the only MCU movie I’ve ever fallen asleep in so whoever they hire can’t be worse. Strange was handled MUCH better in Infinity War than his solo effort.

I never even attempted to watch it. The character hasn't ever interested me, and I'm not a particular fan of Cumberbatch either. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't bother watching the sequel either, regardless of the director.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JessePinkman said:

I woke up for that part! I didn't know what was happening so I fell back to sleep until Chiwetel killed Benjamin Bratt for reasons I'm still not clear on. 

As I understood it he is a fundamentalist and the Benjamin Bratt character wasn't using magic in a way he approved of. With the teaser that he would hunt down other heretical abusers 

2 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I never even attempted to watch it. The character hasn't ever interested me, and I'm not a particular fan of Cumberbatch either. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't bother watching the sequel either, regardless of the director.

I'm interested in the sequel because of Strange's power displayed in IW, I'm a huge Scarlet Witch fan (and have come to love Elizabeth Olsen's portrayal) and I want to see where Marvel takes the multiverse concept (which I'm not even a fan of, never have been. I don't like universe jumping).

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

As I understood it he is a fundamentalist and the Benjamin Bratt character wasn't using magic in a way he approved of. With the teaser that he would hunt down other heretical abusers 

Ah. What IS the proper use of magic? Didn't the guy just want to walk again?

• Love 1

The only part of that movie that I really enjoyed was the scene where he acquired the Cloak (or the Cloak acquired him 😂).  Otherwise I found the rest of the movie to be immensely forgettable.  I’m in no hurry to watch another one.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

I guess being part of an army should Dr Strange need to help Avengers and nothing so mercenary as just helping yourself 

• LOL 2
29 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Honestly, I am kind of surprised that Benedict Cumberbatch haters don't enjoy it more….

What do you mean? I'm not a fan of Cumberbatch, and didn't see the movie. It just looked boring.

7 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I'm interested in the sequel because of Strange's power displayed in IW, I'm a huge Scarlet Witch fan (and have come to love Elizabeth Olsen's portrayal) and I want to see where Marvel takes the multiverse concept (which I'm not even a fan of, never have been. I don't like universe jumping).

I’m interested in it for the same reason. Plus it’s supposed to be more of a horror movie which intrigues me.

I did like the first movie more than most but that was mostly the parts with the Cloak and Wong. 

He ended up being against all magic. Once he found out the Ancient One used the dark dimension to stay alive he was disillusioned. He decided that power is too tempting and all sorcerers (other then him apparently) need to be stopped. 

2 hours ago, swanpride said:

@Anduin Well, seeing him getting impaled again and again and again should be fun for them, shouldn't it?

I see what you mean, but he's still the star no matter how many times he gets impaled. We still have to see that happen.

I liked the first Dr. Strange while it wasn't one of my favorites, I'm always a fan of an origin story which this movie was.  I liked the stuff with Wrong, the cloak and the trippy parts (such as I've come to bargain and the part with the hands).  And for some reason, I also really liked the part with his ex where he was explaining that he came through a portal in the closet and his "spirit" suddenly comes out. I don't know why I always laugh at this part (seen this specific scene a few times on TV) and just enjoy how they run with how ridiculous it all sounds.

I'm looking forward to the sequel, however I am a bit disappointed that director (I think) left. I was hoping they did do something interesting with this while I'm not a huge horror fan, it did seem like a good direction to go. Hopefully do follow up with what's his name killing or trying to kill the other sorcerers. I will agree that what they did with Dr. Strange in the other movies really developed his character and I'm looking forward to what his second movie will be.

Edited by blueray

The MCU has had director turmoil turn out okay before, right? Or was it that director turmoil gave us Dark World?

I was pretty cold about the first movie, but I like the concept of the multiverse, horror, and Scarlet Witch being involved. 

• Love 1
On 1/9/2020 at 10:34 PM, JessePinkman said:

Wanda's the only reason I'm interested in the Dr. Strange sequel. I thought the first one was okay, but not as good as the other solo movies. So hopefully they get this ironed out.

• Love 3

I liked the foreshadowing that came with 'Interstellar Overdrive' playing over a panning shot of the city. It was basically saying 'Shit's going to get weird.' And it did.

I, too, like a good origin story. The unfortunate side of it was that Dr. Strange's origin story was pretty similar to Tony's... but with magic and strange dimensions and stuff.

I continue to wonder what they mean by it being more 'horror' which I recall was the intent of the first one but that didn't really happen. And I'm a big wienie when it comes to scary stuff but that's generally more the gore than, say, a good psychological thriller type. So I'm curious as to where they're going with the next Strange. Although bringing Wanda in should give them the opportunity to make it even weirder.

2 hours ago, Dandesun said:

I continue to wonder what they mean by it being more 'horror' which I recall was the intent of the first one but that didn't really happen. And I'm a big wienie when it comes to scary stuff but that's generally more the gore than, say, a good psychological thriller type. So I'm curious as to where they're going with the next Strange. Although bringing Wanda in should give them the opportunity to make it even weirder.

Feige expanded upon that, they are talking about horror like Raiders of the Lost Ark. So not like a real horror movie but just some horror sequences.

• Love 1

There is a rumor going around that Marvel wants to sideline Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther after the sequel and pass the mantel to Shuri. I don't like that all. I think Chadwick should continue in the role for however long he wants.  

• Love 2
On 1/13/2020 at 5:05 PM, swanpride said:

Honestly, the dream sequences in Far from Home were already pretty horrifying….

The part where Spiderman is being attacked over and over again? That part did kind of freak me out in the movie and it went on for so long.

2 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

There is a rumor going around that Marvel wants to sideline Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther after the sequel and pass the mantel to Shuri. I don't like that all. I think Chadwick should continue in the role for however long he wants.  

Do you have a source for the rumor. I googled but could only find stories from Cosmic Book News and We Got This Covered. The later is extremely unreliable and the former is run by a racist, misogynistic idiot. 

Black Panther broke records and got a Oscar nomination for Best Picture. There is no chance Marvel will voluntarily sideline Boseman. 

Edited by Guest
On 1/24/2020 at 4:56 PM, Pearson80 said:

I heard this rumor also, although I'm not sure where it originates.  I think I heard it being discussed on one of Kevin Smith's podcasts, probably Fat Man Beyond - don't ask me which episode.  

I agree Boseman should continue as Black Panther.  But Shuri does take over the mantle of Black Panther in the comics, while T'Challa is injured.  So I don't think the rumor is based in hate.  They call these legacy heroes, where a new character takes over the hero's role.  We've seen Miles Morales as Spider-Man.  I believe we're seeing Bucky or Sam taking over as Captain America on a Disney Plus TV show.  We may see a female version of Thor at some point.  And yes, possibly a female Black Panther.  

Hopefully even if we do see Shuri as Black Panther, T'Challa will still be around but maybe just incapacitated for a spell.  Maybe he could even return and take over in the same movie.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm kind of mystified by how taken people seem to be with Shuri based on that movie. The big standouts to me were Okoye, M'Baku, and Killmonger.

I like her. She has some fun lines. More than T'Challa, IIRC.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Anduin said:

I like her. She has some fun lines. More than T'Challa, IIRC.

All the women were more interesting than T'Challa. Give me a Nakia movie, and I'd be very happy. But I agree with those who suggest that this 'rumour' has its roots in alt right trolls like those who still try to insist that Captain Marvel was a failure.

• Love 5