Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

They probably did it on purpose so there was no active projects except for some animated shows. AoS was ending this season anyway, and it still is going to be aired. I'm still disappointed they cancelled Daredevil. It was a really good show that could have been on hulu.

10 hours ago, swanpride said:

Hopefully they move some of the units over to Marvel studios….I mean, they need people for their projects too, right?

But there isn't much left anyway, is there? I mean, there are the animated shows, but AoS is (sadly) currently wrapping up its last season (which has already been shot), all the Netflix shows have been cancelled (or put on hiatus until Disney can play with the character again), the Ghost rider show has already been taken off the books again (most likely because they knew this would happen), and Cloak and Dagger has also been cancelled, which leaver The Runaway as the sole Live action show they currently have on the books. It is actually a pretty good timing for the move.

The only live action show left is Helstrom which is in production for Hulu.

One of the stories said about a dozen employees will be laid off. 

36 minutes ago, blueray said:

They probably did it on purpose so there was no active projects except for some animated shows. AoS was ending this season anyway, and it still is going to be aired. I'm still disappointed they cancelled Daredevil. It was a really good show that could have been on hulu.

No, Netflix owns Daredevil for now, not Disney. When their lease on the Defenders ends perhaps Marvel will offer a job to any of the actors. But I doubt that the tone of the Daredevil or Punisher series would be seen on Disney +. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Raja said:

No, Netflix owns Daredevil for now, not Disney. When their lease on the Defenders ends perhaps Marvel will offer a job to any of the actors. But I doubt that the tone of the Daredevil or Punisher series would be seen on Disney +. 

They don’t own the rights. The deal just blocks Disney using the characters for two years after cancellation. Two years for Daredevil will be late 2020. 

Edited by Guest

We will see….to be frank, what I want to see most are Danny's and Ward's crazy adventures in Asia, and I don't think that this needs grittiness, what it needs is a proper budget.

And I want to see Agents of SWORD, with some well-known faces involved….

I fear I won't get either, but a girl can dream, right?

I actually forgot about Hellstrom...kind of surprised that show is still on. Not surprised that they cancelled Runaways. Streaming shows in general rarely make it past the third season.

Sucks for the employees, but that is kind of the nature of the business. If you want a steady job, the film business is not the place to be. With all the streaming providers dishing out money to create content, there are at least job opportunities to have.

I saw Age of Ultron the other day, underrated flick IMO.  But it reminded me how much I missed Quicksilver in the MCU.  I was originally hoping that they would resurrect him with the Infinity Gauntlet in Endgame somehow, but I guess it didn't fit the story.

I wonder if they will find some way to bring him back when they bring in the X-Men and mutants.

• Love 3

I don't think they'll bring Quicksilver back. As the X-Men movies have demonstrated you have to come up with contrived reasons for "Wait, why doesn't Quicksilver just solve all the problems?". It's much the same as Captain Marvel having to be off-world all the time. For characters way up on the power scale, you have to continually invent reasons to sideline them if you want your other characters to have something to contribute.

• Love 1

I don't think that Quicksilver is as important to Marvel as The Flash is to DC. Introducing hated mutants to a universe where powered people seem to be loved is one thing. Returning for the dead would suggest a reboot of the MCU and I don't think that they would do that for their version of The Flash unless the next new characters pending the arrival of the Fantastic Four and X-Men get punched into the grand saga bomb.

The implication of the extreme speedsters power are so overwhelming that I had to laugh when the Flash was mixed with Arrow on CW, and he was only going hundreds of miles per hour back then.. But then Marvel has its own inconsistency problem already with Thor. In one scene the power of a star is channeled through him but in the next scene a taser knocks him out

Edited by Raja
  • Love 3
On 12/10/2019 at 7:33 PM, Starfish35 said:

I was thinking about the division of Marvel TV and marvel movies and it kind of shocks me to believe Disney let it go on as long as they did. I mean they are a company that is all about multi-level product integration and synergy and all that stuff Jack Donaghy loved. I mean the theme parks sell the movies and they promote the theme park on the network.  

They are also a company where someone at a high level told ABC they couldn't cancel Agents of SHIELD. Its crazy that the same person didn't tell Marvel TV and film groups to work together better.

I think the problem is that most of the friction between divisions seemed to be originating with Ike Perlmutter, who just so happens to have owned more than half a billion dollars worth of Disney stock since the merger with Marvel. If he'd been just a problematic executive without a big ownership stake he'd have been kicked out fast enough to break orbit and the consolidation would have happened much, much sooner. As it was, they had to wait until someone could say "if he'd had his way, we wouldn't have made two popular movies that made over a billion dollars each! And look how this Inhumans property he's so keen on flopped!"

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I was thinking about the division of Marvel TV and marvel movies and it kind of shocks me to believe Disney let it go on as long as they did. I mean they are a company that is all about multi-level product integration and synergy and all that stuff Jack Donaghy loved. I mean the theme parks sell the movies and they promote the theme park on the network.  

They are also a company where someone at a high level told ABC they couldn't cancel Agents of SHIELD. Its crazy that the same person didn't tell Marvel TV and film groups to work together better.

The strange thing is that it seems that ABC was the driving force, with foriegn TV secondary for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D seasons 6 and 7. The Infinity Saga made the summer replacement schedule preferred for Marvel Studios 

Thing with Agents of Shield is that it most likely had a marketing effect which helped to keep the more general audience interested. I'll be honest here: I might have started to drift away at one point of not for AoS keep pulling me back. But now with the streaming service in the woods, they don't really need it anymore...or, to be precise, they don't need specifically this show anymore. I suspect something will eventually replace AoS.

I don't think Marvel are really interested in a 'flagship' TV show that runs for multiple years. It's far easier to do miniseries on different characters, then follow them up if they're successful. Why come up with a bunch of characters and stories that have to grow and evolve, in the usually tiresome network TV ways, when you can just write standalone shows that don't require major investment from viewers?

There may be a theme or overarching story running through the shows, like there was with the movies, but they might all be completely independent of one another.

Honestly, if they were to do a big, franchise TV show, then that's where the X-Men might fit most naturally - lots of characters, lots of stories, lots of emotional drama. If Disney+ is a big success, and the feedback from the likes of Falcon & Winter Soldier and Wandavision are positive, they might be considering going down that route.

• Love 2

Well, I didn't say that the replacement will be structured like AoS. But Marvel can't just trust on the streaming subscribers. They need something on free TV to remind people that the MCU is still a thing. Perhaps by putting out shorts again?

19 hours ago, rmontro said:

I saw Age of Ultron the other day, underrated flick IMO.  But it reminded me how much I missed Quicksilver in the MCU.  I was originally hoping that they would resurrect him with the Infinity Gauntlet in Endgame somehow, but I guess it didn't fit the story.

I wonder if they will find some way to bring him back when they bring in the X-Men and mutants.

My daughter is home sick today and we're watching Age of Ultron. I agree- I like Quicksilver. I would like to see him come back too. 

47 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Honestly, if they were to do a big, franchise TV show, then that's where the X-Men might fit most naturally - lots of characters, lots of stories, lots of emotional drama. If Disney+ is a big success, and the feedback from the likes of Falcon & Winter Soldier and Wandavision are positive, they might be considering going down that route.

I think doing X-Men as a TV show would be awesome! 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ICantDoThatDave said:

I don't think they'll bring Quicksilver back. As the X-Men movies have demonstrated you have to come up with contrived reasons for "Wait, why doesn't Quicksilver just solve all the problems?"

I like Evan Peters as an actor, and the special effects featuring Quicksilver in the X-Men movies were pretty cool.  That said, that wasn't Quicksilver, that was the Flash.  Quicksilver isn't that fast, that was on a whole other level.  I much preferred how he was depicted in Age of Ultron.  He was fast, but not basically a speed god.  Which is consistent to how he was depicted in the comics, at least the comics that I've read.

I also really appreciate when they manage to give a hero a costume similar to what he wears in the comics, and make it work.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

I like Evan Peters as an actor, and the special effects featuring Quicksilver in the X-Men movies were pretty cool.  That said, that wasn't Quicksilver, that was the Flash.  Quicksilver isn't that fast, that was on a whole other level.  I much preferred how he was depicted in Age of Ultron.  He was fast, but not basically a speed god.  Which is consistent to how he was depicted in the comics, at least the comics that I've read.

I also really appreciate when they manage to give a hero a costume similar to what he wears in the comics, and make it work.  

Evan's personality wasn't really in line from what I recall of Pietro in the comics either, though I did enjoy him. ITA with his speed level being bananas in those Fox films. Also, his wig was an abomination and should die in a fire. I guess what I'm saying here, is that I prefer MCU Quicksilver and wish Whedon didn't axe him for shock value. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, swanpride said:

I prefer the MCU version, too. But I also see the problem of having a speedster on the team. That only works if you add some sort of limitation.

Super speed is one of those comic book powers where no one really thinks of the implications. If you can run as fast as Quicksilver, it means you also have to have unbreakable bones and are possibly super strong.

32 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Super speed is one of those comic book powers where no one really thinks of the implications. If you can run as fast as Quicksilver, it means you also have to have unbreakable bones and are possibly super strong.

That first episode of The Boys was a step with the collateral damage A-Train caused.. I would have to say that in Justice League when The Flash to his horror saw that Superman was tracking him had to be my favorite moment. When X-Men tried the same with Apocalypse and Quicksilver well, been there done that.

I do remember the TV Flash getting a special suit, sometimes civilians burst into flames, but sometimes not. Meanwhile Yo-Yo on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was going through combat boots with her one heart beat burst and bounce back super speed limitation only.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

I guess what I'm saying here, is that I prefer MCU Quicksilver and wish Whedon didn't axe him for shock value. 

I never thought he was going to stay dead, I really thought he was going to be resurrected (probably with the Infinity Gauntlet).  I based that on an interview I head heard with Taylor-Johnson.  They asked him if his character was going to stay dead, and he said that he was still under contract and wasn't legally answer that question.  Or something to that effect.

I agree his personality doesn't match Pietro in the comics, but I still liked his portrayal.

11 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

In the Flash comics, they got around that by saying Flash had some sort of "aura" that protected him and anyone he was carrying.  I don't know if that's still the case, I quit following comics extensively back in the early '90s.  I know they've since come up with the "speed force", I don't know if that has something to do with it or not.  

On 12/13/2019 at 3:06 PM, Danny Franks said:

Judging by the reaction The Mandalorian has been getting, Disney + is already doing a lot of things right. Given smaller focus and large enough budget, I have high hopes for the new Marvel shows when they finally start airing.

3 hours ago, swanpride said:

With X-men it would be nice if they did it the other way around, start with the TV shows and then eventually do the big movies based on them….

I have a small hope that is the plan with the multiple Ghost Riders. I can see Nicholas Cage and Gabriel Luna get at least a cameo 

On 12/11/2019 at 5:36 PM, Raja said:

But I doubt that the tone of the Daredevil or Punisher series would be seen on Disney +.

Despite the cuteness bomb of Baby Yoda, The Mandalorian has been a lot darker than I would have expected.  I mean, I doubt they would go Punisher dark, but they also have Hulu if they want to do more mature programming.

• Love 2
On 12/14/2019 at 7:46 PM, rmontro said:

I agree his personality doesn't match Pietro in the comics, but I still liked his portrayal.

Likewise.  Peters' Pietro is very entertaining but neither he or Taylor-Johnson's Pietro come close to resembling the comics much more complex character.

1 hour ago, benteen said:

Likewise.  Peters' Pietro is very entertaining but neither he or Taylor-Johnson's Pietro come close to resembling the comics much more complex character.

I actually liked the take on Wanda and Pietro from the original Ultimates comics, if you're familiar with that.  There's no way that would fly in the movies though  😲  Distasteful, but different.  I thought the MCU pulled a lot of touches from the Ultimates.

• Love 1

Urgh….that's a little bit too much. visible veins are a huge turn-off for me.

But I guess the important thing is that he is happy with how he looks...I wonder how long it takes until he wants his character to have an excuse to lose some muscle mass....

• Love 2

I think it's interesting to note that he says HE decided to get into this shape before the movie, but then notes that Marvel paid for trainers and dieticians to make it happen. That doesn't exactly make me think it was really his choice. I'm not sure why Marvel would foot the bill for him to bulk up if it wasn't part of his contract that he do it. 

Also the bulging veins are not appealing to me at all, but I am neither him nor his wife, so if they are happy that's all that matters! 

Edited by Jenniferbug
  • Love 1

My guess is that the Marvel photographer wanted the veins. They probably had him do some quick lifting to get the veins going, wiped off any sweat, and then took the shot. I don't know why the veins are expected to appeal but then I'm not really into perfectly sculpted bodies anymore. The dehydration that goes into getting that look turns me off even before we get into any other area of concern.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

I think it's interesting to note that he says HE decided to get into this shape before the movie, but then notes that Marvel paid for trainers and dieticians to make it happen. That doesn't exactly make me think it was really his choice. I'm not sure why Marvel would foot the bill for him to bulk up if it wasn't part of his contract that he do it. 

Also the bulging veins are not appealing to me at all, but I am neither him nor his wife, so if they are happy that's all that matters! 

I would imagine Marvel has trainers and dietitians on their regular payroll. I wonder if there is a range of physical requirements for each character and the individual actors get to control how far past the minimum they want to go. In other words maybe Marvel only required him to get in shape and he choose to take it to Thor or Captain America levels. I know nothing about the Eternals so I could be completely wrong and his character is supposed to look like Thor. 
I think it would be fascinating to know exactly what Marvel contracts require but that’s highly unlikely. 

The Eternals are generally physically "perfect" ageless people with the standard comic book muscley bodies for the most part, but honestly I'd think the level of fitness actors had in the first X-Men movie would be fine for everybody except maybe the Forgotten One.

• Useful 1
On 12/11/2019 at 4:35 AM, swanpride said:

Hopefully they move some of the units over to Marvel studios….I mean, they need people for their projects too, right?

But there isn't much left anyway, is there? I mean, there are the animated shows, but AoS is (sadly) currently wrapping up its last season (which has already been shot), all the Netflix shows have been cancelled (or put on hiatus until Disney can play with the character again), the Ghost rider show has already been taken off the books again (most likely because they knew this would happen), and Cloak and Dagger has also been cancelled, which leaver The Runaway as the sole Live action show they currently have on the books. It is actually a pretty good timing for the move.

On 12/11/2019 at 3:56 PM, Dani said:

The only live action show left is Helstrom which is in production for Hulu.

One of the stories said about a dozen employees will be laid off. 

I read that 90% of the staff is being laid off. The Infinity Saga is 60 hours of ok to very good entertainment. There are absolutely 60 hours of very good entertainment across all of Marvel TV. Furthermore, there are some truly stellar performances in there along with some excellently cast and likely never to be surpassed actors that I would be absolutely livid if Feige et al chose to throw everything out. D'Onofrio, Ritter, Cox, Tennant, and Bernthal. Those actors are those characters to me. They'll never do a better version of Kilgrave. Not to mention Marvel TV reached out to Mahershala Ali before Marvel films chose to. 

• Love 3

So...they want to reboot but with partly the same actor? Or are they planning a "soft reboot" in which they don't really contradict what came beforehand but also never address it?

Why do I have the feeling that they will throw out most of the stuff I like about the Netflix show and keep the stuff I considered somewhat boring?

2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

1 hour ago, swanpride said:

So...they want to reboot but with partly the same actor? Or are they planning a "soft reboot" in which they don't really contradict what came beforehand but also never address it?

Why do I have the feeling that they will throw out most of the stuff I like about the Netflix show and keep the stuff I considered somewhat boring?

That site cares more about clicks than accuracy. They report every rumor that comes up. I’d only give what they say a 25% chance at actually happening. 

3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I read that 90% of the staff is being laid off. The Infinity Saga is 60 hours of ok to very good entertainment. There are absolutely 60 hours of very good entertainment across all of Marvel TV. Furthermore, there are some truly stellar performances in there along with some excellently cast and likely never to be surpassed actors that I would be absolutely livid if Feige et al chose to throw everything out. D'Onofrio, Ritter, Cox, Tennant, and Bernthal. Those actors are those characters to me. They'll never do a better version of Kilgrave. Not to mention Marvel TV reached out to Mahershala Ali before Marvel films chose to. 

Killgrave  of course spoiler alert 

Spoiler

has left the building

Besides the Kingpin in an upcoming Spider-Man movie I really don't see any place for the street level guys in the three a year movie schedule and I doubt a Disney + miniseries would match the tone of what NetFlix gave us. 

At least Bullseye and Elektra  got rehabilitated. Its an unpopular opinion but those two, not Ben Affleck or Michael Clarke Duncan were the problem with that non MCU Daredevil movie 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Raja said:

Besides the Kingpin in an upcoming Spider-Man movie I really don't see any place for the street level guys in the three a year movie schedule and I doubt a Disney + miniseries would match the tone of what NetFlix gave us. 

She hulk is a lawyer right? Could be a good way to reintroduce powered PI Jessica Jones as played by Krysten Ritter (even for like 1 episode). Plus Jessica's character seems like the easiest one for a soft reboot. Her powers are simple to explain and with Trish being in jail and Geri probably being dead you could easily forget about all the people connected to her. Plus I would assume that with She Hulk being an all new MCU character you would need more than the 6 episodes that Falcon & the Winter Soldier and Wandavision are getting just to explain and establish her character.

Easy to reboot means bland to me. I just don't see how a Jessica Jones in her jeans and T-shirt sneering at the Daredevil armor/costume would fit the main movie MCU. And if you reboot her to fit the others while giving the actress another payday you then lose what set her apart in the first place.