Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Dandesun said:

I was thinking of the 2013 run of Young Avengers which was more focused on Kate, America, Billy, Teddy, No-Varr and Kid Loki. The others appeared later on but the core was those six and I really enjoyed it. It was weird af but I enjoyed it.

The two eras are pretty different, though.  I'm not sure which one I prefer, although I have a really strong emotional attachment to the first volume.  One of my favorite moments of any comic, ever, was Cap giving Kate Clint's quiver and name, saying that she'd earned it.

Kieron Gillen described the first volume as "You're 16 and have powers" and his as "You're 18 and have powers."

If they were going to adapt either set, whether for TV or movies, I think the 2013 volume would go a bit more smoothly.

I think the Miss America story was the result of a rumor that Marvel was working on a female lead TV series. Since back then everyone assumed that Miss Marvel would be folded into the Captain Marvel Franchise or getting her own movie eventually, a lot of minds sprung to Miss America. But since we now now that there will be a Miss Marvel and a She Hulk series, I think the Miss America idea can be dismissed. For now.

21 hours ago, Dandesun said:

If you're going to compare Avengers and X-Men I'm going to go with X-Men every time. X-Men are my jam.

I was thinking of the 2013 run of Young Avengers which was more focused on Kate, America, Billy, Teddy, No-Varr and Kid Loki. The others appeared later on but the core was those six and I really enjoyed it. It was weird af but I enjoyed it.

Ah. I never read that run of Young Avengers. I only got as far The Children's Crusade storyline, which I didn't enjoy at all. And I think the only No-Varr I've read was in the Runaways & Young Avengers miniseries, where he was a complete tool.

But for anyone who's looking for good comics about young (or any) superheroes, I'd highly, highly recommend New X-Men (not Grant Morrison's version),  originally written by Nunzio DeFilippis and Christina Weir, then taken over by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost. It's one of the best comic runs of the last twenty years, in my view. Especially the post-M Day stuff.

The rumor mill is reporting that the MCU wants a person of color for either Charles Xavier or Magneto, or possibly both. I think that would be great for Charles. I will be salty if they change Erik's background, though. Him being a Jewish holocaust survivor is intrinsic to that character, and you could argue that they could use any other country that has faced genocide for his origin, but to ignore his Jewish roots would be a huge misstep, IMHO. 

And as for the argument about his age: Just write that his mutation causes him to age slower. Simple as that. I have always scratched my head in bewilderment over the shenanigans they come up with in the comics to keep his body youthful. Just make him age slower! 

I also keep hearing they want to present an X-Men that no one has seen yet, to which I reply: I'm still waiting to see the X-Men from the comics, man! Whatever the hell Fox churned out, that was not the X-Men I've come to know and love. Could we not learn from Fox's erroneous ways and actually stick to source material this time? Statements like that make me nervous. I don't want some drastic new shit just because they want MCU's X-Men to be "different." Hey, make a film with mutants who embody their comic counterparts, and you've automatically made an X-Men film that's wildly different from Fox's! 

Tinkering with race---just not Magneto's---is fine, but for the love of God, don't start doing wacky shit with my X-Men just to distance them from Fox. Please give me a proper film with those mutants before I die!

Edited by Jeebus Cripes
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

And as for the argument about his age: Just write that his mutation causes him to age slower. Simple as that. I have always scratched my head in bewilderment over the shenanigans they come up with in the comics to keep his body youthful. Just make him age slower!

image.png.81fb1f111c46bb4ec84a443bc0d777a0.png

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

The rumor mill is reporting that the MCU wants a person of color for either Charles Xavier or Magneto, or possibly both. I think that would be great for Charles. I will be salty if they change Erik's background, though. Him being a Jewish holocaust survivor is intrinsic to that character, and you could argue that they could use any other country that has faced genocide for his origin, but to ignore his Jewish roots would be a huge misstep, IMHO. 

I also keep hearing they want to present an X-Men that no one has seen yet, to which I reply: I'm still waiting to see the X-Men from the comics, man! Whatever the hell Fox churned out, that was not the X-Men I've come to know and love. Could we not learn from Fox's erroneous ways and actually stick to source material this time? Statements like that make me nervous. I don't want some drastic new shit just because they want MCU's X-Men to be "different." Hey, make a film with mutants who embody their comic counterparts, and you've automatically made an X-Men film that's wildly different from Fox's! 

Tinkering with race---just not Magneto's---is fine, but for the love of God, don't start doing wacky shit with my X-Men just to distance them from Fox. Please give me a proper film with those mutants before I die!

I don't think that old/young men Erik Shoah survivor, Charles, Logan and his brother is the problem. It is the classic X-Men stories demand the great discrimination that mutants suffer from. But in the story as told by Feige the "enhanced" since the emergence of The Hulk and "I am Iron Man"  have been almost universally beloved figures thus all you have is a different set of powers and maybe a costume.

You have to go outside of Feige's control to see the beginnings of what mutants face in the comics to the treatment of (nu)Inhumans on the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, and hinted at on the Inhumans miniseries. Or of the Dr Whitehall, not Red Skull's wing of Hydra of their collecting the enhanced, Inhumans in that specific case for Hive.

6 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

The rumor mill is reporting that the MCU wants a person of color for either Charles Xavier or Magneto, or possibly both. I think that would be great for Charles

I'd rather MCU develop POC from the X-Roster than take known white characters and make them POC (to me that's just a lazy way to claim diversity).

The X-Universe has a lot of characters that have gotten little to no real love in the movies

African America: Bishop, Shard, Sync, M, Penny, Emplate, Storm (freaking deserves better than the X-Movies, ) Darwin (freaking got done dirty in First Class)

Native America : Forge, Warpath, Mirage, Silver Fox (yeah she's mostly there for Wolverine's Manpain)

Aboriginal: Gateway (I always loved him popping up and sending people on adventures)

Latino: Sunspot, Dr Reyes, Skin (poor, Angelo), Angel/Tempest, Empath, Rictor, Goldballs (his name sucked but he was sweet).

Asian: Jubilee (my fave, deserves way better than the movies gave her), Tyger Tiger, Sunfire, Silver Samurai, Shanobi Shaw, Yukio (deserves better than that shit in Deadpool2 - was good in The Wolverine),  Amiko, Karma, Mariko (see Silver Fox - but I really like Mariko), Viper

There are probably a ton more, these are just the ones I remember from my reading. 

Put them on the big screen, make Storm the leader she always was in the comics, show why Jubliee is the last X-Men (yeah, probably retconned) and, skip that Vampire shit, I want my Firecracker back

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 6

Honestly, I think it is better if they take their time anyway. Let the current run of the X-men wrap up properly, give it some time to die down, and then, in four, five years, it might be time to think about a reboot.

I mean, it is not like there aren't enough OTHER properties worth exploring.

40 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'd rather MCU develop POC from the X-Roster than take known white characters and make them POC (to me that's just a lazy way to claim diversity).

The X-Universe has a lot of characters that have gotten little to no real love in the movies

African America: Bishop, Shard, Sync, M, Penny, Emplate, Storm (freaking deserves better than the X-Movies, ) Darwin (freaking got done dirty in First Class)

Aboriginal: Gateway (I always loved him popping up and sending people on adventures)

Actually, Bishop is Aboriginal too. Descended from Gateway. As an Aussie, yes, I thought he was African American. But I'm happy with any Aussie character, native, emigrant, imigrant.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, swanpride said:

I mean, it is not like there aren't enough OTHER properties worth exploring.

I think it would be cool if they pulled from the X-Men pool and, introduced them to the Cosmic Universe (Shi'ar, Star Jammers, Phalanx, MojoWorld).  They can wait on bringing back the traditional X Characters.

3 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Actually, Bishop is Aboriginal too. Descended from Gateway. As an Aussie, yes, I thought he was African American. But I'm happy with any Aussie character, native, emigrant, imigrant.

I didn't know that Bishop was descended from Gateway. That's cool! For some reason, I thought M had a familial connection to Gateway.

ETA: Tempus is another Australian Character on Scott's Uncanny roster when he was 'bad Scott'.

Edited by Morrigan2575
8 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I think it would be cool if they pulled from the X-Men pool and, introduced them to the Cosmic Universe (Shi'ar, Star Jammers, Phalanx, MojoWorld).  They can wait on bringing back the traditional X Characters.

I didn't know that Bishop was descended from Gateway. That's cool! For some reason, I thought M had a familial connection to Gateway.

ETA: Tempus is another Australian Character on Scott's Uncanny roster when he was 'bad Scott'.

I swear, Tempus is based on my sister. Aussie Eva, black hair, blue eyes, time manipulation powers. Aussie Eve, dark brown hair, blue eyes, family, social life, work, must have time manipulation powers.

• Love 1

I still think that the X-men are best used in their own separate universe...maybe one in which the Kree never played around with human DNA, which lead to mutants developing naturally, which in turn changed the whole history. and I mean the WHOLE history.

But there are a few (so far unused) X-men which can fit in the MCU simply as people who have power. I mean, I don't think that it took anything away from Quake that they turned her into an Inhuman.

For example, I want Dazzler. For three reasons:

1. I think that the notion of a powered person openly using her abilities fits better in the MCU than in the X-men verse.

2. I kind of like the idea of a character who develops powers and decides "yeah, let's start a firework with it" instead of immediately jumping into being a hero.

3. It would be a great excuse for some sort of musical or the typical "rise of a star" movie...this is a genre the MCU hasn't covered so far.

Another thing is...if they go for the X-men, I have the feeling that it is a better idea to put them into a show instead of a movie. Gives everyone more room to breath.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, swanpride said:

Another thing is...if they go for the X-men, I have the feeling that it is a better idea to put them into a show instead of a movie. Gives everyone more room to breath.

Yeah, the X-men are tricky because unlike the Avengers, what really sells them is the team aspect. On the one hand, I almost feel like Marvel really needs to create a totally separate XCU on the model of the MCU, giving a handful of core characters individual or buddy movies (but for the love of all that is holy not Wolverine, Professor X, or Magneto) so that individual characters can have their moments and arcs, and then having big team-up movies foreground the secondary characters who haven’t gotten their own movies. OTOH, however, the individual movie approach could take away from the X-men what’s one of the most compelling things about them—the found family/band of brothers dynamic and the idea of this little group banding together in the face of overwhelming prejudice. The X-men really need a serialized format to flourish to some degree.

Interesting, Marvel playing the long game from the start. I prefer the end scene we got to this deleted one.

As for a MCU vs XCU i can see the points being made and, it could work. I think I still want a single Universe but, as long as Fiege is in charge I'm more than happy to give Marvel the benefit of the doubt in either situation

29 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Oh yay. For a moment I was terrified that a MCU movie might be made without RDJ's mug filling the screen at some point.

Probably little more than a cameo but, it is funny that even Tony's death couldn't keep RDJ away. I was actually surprised/disappointed that we didn't get any RDJ cameo in Far From Home. Peter putting on the EDITH glasses would have been the perfect point for a Tony goodbye video.

15 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Native America : Forge, Warpath, Mirage, Silver Fox (yeah she's mostly there for Wolverine's Manpain)

Latino: Sunspot, Dr Reyes, Skin (poor, Angelo), Angel/Tempest, Empath, Rictor, Goldballs (his name sucked but he was sweet).

Asian: Jubilee (my fave, deserves way better than the movies gave her), Tyger Tiger, Sunfire, Silver Samurai, Shanobi Shaw, Yukio (deserves better than that shit in Deadpool2 - was good in The Wolverine),  Amiko, Karma, Mariko (see Silver Fox - but I really like Mariko), Viper

There are probably a ton more, these are just the ones I remember from my reading. 

Put them on the big screen, make Storm the leader she always was in the comics, show why Jubliee is the last X-Men (yeah, probably retconned) and, skip that Vampire shit, I want my Firecracker back

Right? The team as a whole has a wealth of characters of all ethnicities to choose from, many of which are fascinating characters that have gotten little to no attention as of yet. Why they would need to change an existing character's skin color, as opposed to just using a POC already established in the comics is beyond me.

We've already seen Charles and Erik in at least 6 films. I would just start the movies with an already established team co-lead by Cyclops and Storm --because I'm still waiting for both of those characters to actually be done right-- and showcase a diverse team that does not include Wolverine, Xavier, or Magneto. Let those characters come in much later. And for the love of God, no Mystique!

That said, they will absolutely cram Wolverine down our throats ASAP. You watch.

• Love 2

I wouldn’t mind a Mystique that was ACTUALLY Mystique, not the character the Fox X-movies tried to pass off as Mystique. Bonus points for Destiny and using Claremont’s original origin story for Nightcrawler!

that said, to be done properly, Mystique would probably have to be a less-is-more character.

• Love 2

They could do a REVERSE approach for the X-men.

Here is what I would do:
Step 1: I would put them in their own separate Universe. This way you don't have to worry about tone, continuity, anything of this kind.

Step 2: I would create a TV show featuring the Xavier School of gifted people, with every episode focussing on the story of another X-men, so that the audience has the chance to really get to know the characters.

Step 3: Do a movie which focusses on specific characters of the "you don't HAVE to see the TV show before, but it is great if you do" kind. Though in order for that to work, Disney Plus REALLY needs to take off, so that there is a proper fanbase for the TV show from the get go.

Step 4:  Once there have been enough movies, do a dimension hopping crossover event in which the X-men meet the Avengers.

Step 5: Have at least one X-men (preferably Storm, but maybe it would be fun to do it with one of Magneto's followers) ending up stranded in the MCU, so that said X-men can explore a world in which powered people are mostly able to life in peace (when they aren't busy rescuing the world).

And while I am NOT a wolverine fan, they could also do a Wolverine show for Hulu which shows him stabbing his way through various historical events in this world….

2 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

Why they would need to change an existing character's skin color, as opposed to just using a POC already established in the comics is beyond me.

Maybe they really want to drive home the whole "persecuted minorities" concept by making the lead characters non-White, while also signaling to audiences that this version is far removed from the Fox films.

2 hours ago, Jeebus Cripes said:

We've already seen Charles and Erik in at least 6 films. I would just start the movies with an already established team co-lead by Cyclops and Storm --because I'm still waiting for both of those characters to actually be done right-- and showcase a diverse team that does not include Wolverine, Xavier, or Magneto. Let those characters come in much later. And for the love of God, no Mystique! 

No more Jean Grey either I say.

3 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

Maybe they really want to drive home the whole "persecuted minorities" concept by making the lead characters non-White, while also signaling to audiences that this version is far removed from the Fox films.

Except Charles/Eric aren't the lead characters of the comics, the original movies, or the 90s cartoon. The reboot decided to focus solely on Charles and Eric just like the original movies made everything about Wolverine. 

If they want a POC character as their lead, there's Storm/Ororo. 

I think the X-Men as part of the MCU are fine, but Marvel just need to exercise some restraint when it comes to crossing over with the rest of the MCU. Have it be an acknowledged part of the universe, but distinctly its own thing, with its own tone and feel.

I wouldn't mind if they retcon some things, to establish that mutants have existed for a while, but this generation of teens/young adults is really the first one where the X-gene is becoming widespread enough for it to be truly noticeable.

There aren't many options but to start with some version of the original X-Men. Maybe not the entire original five, but some of them, and one or two of the Claremont and Lobdell/Nicieza additions.  But, if they wanted to do something actually new, they could focus on lesser known iterations, like Kyle & Yost's New X-Men or PAD's X-Factor Investigations.

And, unlike the Fox X-Men movies, they need to be unafraid of just throwing comic book stories out of the window and doing something original. No more Dark Phoenix or Days of Future Past or God Loves, Man Kills. 

In regards to casting, I don't see why they would need to cast a POC as Xavier or Magneto, when they could just utilise characters like Storm, Bishop, Dani Moonstar, Dust, Surge etc.

Does Marvel have an equivalent to DC's Crisis On Infinite Earths? If so, I'd say put them on their own world and build to that event. Then they're established before joining the MCU. If not, then I'd vote for mutants always being around but in super small numbers before Thanos. They could say that the radiation from both Thanos' snap and Hulk's snap caused the X-gene to activate in larger numbers than ever before. Or something.

• Love 2

Again, why so complicated? Put them in their own universe and then you can always do reality hopping events. This way they can be what they want to be, there won't be a need for any complicated explanations regarding the time-line, and you can still have the crossover if you want to. Kind of like it is in the comics, just that the writers have to skip one extra barrier for the crossover.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Does Marvel have an equivalent to DC's Crisis On Infinite Earths?

I believe so, maybe Secret Wars? There was a Marvel wide crossover they used to collapse the 616 and Ultimate Universes into one. They could very easily bring that into play. Could also do some sort of reverse Onslaught storyline which they used to create a separate universe X-Men in one and all the other heroes in a separate Universe (created by Franklin Richards). 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Except Charles/Eric aren't the lead characters of the comics, the original movies, or the 90s cartoon. The reboot decided to focus solely on Charles and Eric just like the original movies made everything about Wolverine. 

If they want a POC character as their lead, there's Storm/Ororo. 

I still think Magneto and Xavier can be called lead characters generally speaking, even if the focus isn't always on them.  Regardless, their significance to the X-mythos is clear which is why Marvel might not want them to be two White guys all over again.

I agree that Storm or another non-White character leading the team would be a good start, but if the rest of the cast is just going to be mostly White then it would be a bit of a waste in my view.  Certainly if Marvel wants to take things in a different direction.

On 9/13/2019 at 11:20 PM, Jeebus Cripes said:

The only way they could get away with it is if they made him Roma.  It would be the only way they could keep the Holocaust survivor background and cast a POC (preferably Roma) actor. (I'm not advocating for it, just pointing it out)  I seem to recall in the comics they were somewhat nebulous between Roma and Jewish for a while before they decided for Jewish.

I would also agree it would be better to use one of the actual POC X-characters rather than changing the race of an established character.

47 minutes ago, benteen said:

Bishop being an Aboriginal is definitely a retcon.  I remember reading the letter page in Marvel back in the day and it was stated clearly that Bishop was African-American.

It's an easily doable retcon, though. Bishop comes from the future and that future is far more concerned with mutant/non-mutant than nationality. The X-Men were legends in his future, betrayed by one of their own and destroyed, mutants all end up with an M-tattoo over their eye. 

Many futures in X-continuity cut out the concept of what country they're from and focus more on whether or not they have an x-gene.

Hell, current X-Men continuity brings in Genosha, Utopia and, now, Krakoa. But, ultimately, it's the same. Mutant? Or not a mutant?

• Love 2

From the link provided

Bishop and his sister Shard were both born in one of the American "mutant relocation camps", the children of Australian mutants Burnum and Kadee

Gateway is listed as Bishop's Great Grandfather.  

Edited by Morrigan2575
15 hours ago, benteen said:

Bishop being an Aboriginal is definitely a retcon.  I remember reading the letter page in Marvel back in the day and it was stated clearly that Bishop was African-American.

I remember him being related to Gateway, but I also seem to recall some relation to Storm? Not sure if I'm confusing him with another character...

24 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Disney chairman Bob Iger says Black Panther and Captain Marvel almost didn't get made.

The culprit? You guessed it: Frank StalloneIke Perlmutter. I get the strong feeling ol' Ike may be a bit of a dick.

Ike's an ass for sure. I remember reading somewhere that one of the first things Kevin Feige did after he took the reins from Perlmutter was greenlight Black Panther. I don't remember if the decision to have Cap 3 be Civil War had been made yet but he was all in on bringing T'Challa, and Carol, to the MCU while Perlmutter was busy making sure Black Widow didn't get a movie or was part of any of the merchandise.

I think the thing about Perlmutter that makes me craziest is his refusal to see what's right in front of him. I was fortunate to sit through a few panels at Comic Con that included Stan Lee in the Ike years of the MCU and he always got the question "are there any specific Marvel characters you'd like to see join the MCU next?". Stan ALWAYS answered "Black Panther" first and foremost to enthusiastic applause and cheers. Yet Perlmutter kept insisting that people would only pay money to see superhero movies if the heroes were straight white men. Sure, Ike.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I saw somewhere the the Ghost Rider Disney+ Series was canceled due to creative differences. Rumors are that Fiege wanted him for the movies

It, Ghost Rider TV with Robbie Reyes/Gabriel Luna, was going to be a Hulu original. The last rumor I read was for a different Ghost Rider than the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D/Hulu Robbie Reyes, perhaps a woman for an upcoming movie. The AoS origin of Reyes is pretty easy to work around without breaking the "it's all connected" continuity but with increasing narrative content made that gets to be more at risk

Edited by Raja
32 minutes ago, swanpride said:

No, there was some confusion first, but the show was supposed to star Robbie Reyers with the same actor playing him.

My mistake, not a woman for the Hulu series, but rather the reason Feige would take back Ghost Rider. In order to put a woman Ghost Rider in another production Dr Strange In The Mutiverse of Madness in particular. In which case the theory is that he would not want Robbie Reyes on screen, at least in a concurrently active Hulu show to confuse the issue.