Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, gunderda said:

I think if they can keep it going and treat it as a real business (unless the Teen moms who roll out their shops and then lose interest in a few months) I think it could be a long term thing for them.  They have enough fans that it should take off at first - they just need to keep with it

They have a chance.

I just don't see it going well without real plans and consultants who are actually skilled. This family has such a tendency to shun actual knowledge for something that agrees with their beliefs. Hire an accountant who is an accountant. Hire a stylist and not just someone who looks good at church. Hire a photographer, developer, marketer, etc. who have education, experience, and know what they are doing. 

Yes, they have followers who will at least look at their site, but it takes more than that to get someone to convert from viewer to purchaser. If you do a quick look at the modest modern shops online, these are not high price items. They are going to have to have a quality wholesaler who provides clothing cheap and on time. Even then, they are going to have to price it well to compete in a saturated market. There are three of them. So if they sell a shirt for $13 online that costs them $10 from the wholesaler, they made $3. That's $1 each. But wait...what about the website, which didn't get made for free. And what about the label costs to be a seller if any require that (bad idea, but you don't know with these girls)? And what about the costs of accepting credit card payments? Paypal is an option, but it can rack up the fees. They have to get a line of credit or a substantial credit card to pay for what they are ordering for their customers. Once they establish their business and get customers, they'll have to deal with sales tax from certain states. Legit sites have phone numbers, so there is that cost. Who is answering the phone and the emails? Do they have back up And the list goes on and on and on.  

That's just for dropshipping. If they are going for loftier plans, they are most definitely not prepared. 

Given their history and belief system, its longevity will be hindered by the addition of more children/responsibilities and an attention span that sometimes mirrors a gnat. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I don't know, I predict they will have great success. There are thousands if not a couple million young girls who will eat. this. up.

Given that the majority of their followers who would buy modest clothing from them are IBLP or some version of that, that's a big problem. That audience has limited connectivity due to restrictions. Then there are credit cards. In many of those families, daddy has the card or the husband has the card. If they are leg humpers who have credit cards, they are more likely to be savvy enough to know a good deal.

So it still comes down to if their suppliers suck then they will lose business, as people want what they pay to get. If they don't price it low enough, people will visit but they won't buy because someone is not going to buy what they can get for cheaper some place else just because the name Bates is attached to it.  

Marketing for a business isn't build it and they will come. Or in my industry, spray and pray. Conversions from visitors to purchasers won't be easy. I currently have 800,000 plus followers on Instagram. Not all of them buy my books. There are some of them that will and others who don't. The skill is knowing which ones to market to and get over to that buying side of the line. 

I predict they will get a month or two or good returns because of the novelty, but they really have to have their crap together to keep those customers and attract new ones. Not to mention they will have to do so in a way that doesn't insult their conservative followers nor their more modern ones. That's a balance and nuance that may sink them. 

Be optimistic about it. I've just watched far too many businesses fail with more skilled and knowledgeable people at the helm. And again, we don't know their goals. They might just want to have a hobby or get free clothes for themselves. Or maybe they want to be millionaires. Who knows? Success isn't always defined as we assume. 

• Love 4
On 3/26/2019 at 10:07 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Michael and Brandon are moving (back in her case) to TN so she can attend nursing school in the fall. I'm pretty sure Brandon can do his job remotely, since it's graphics-related.

On 3/26/2019 at 11:57 PM, BitterApple said:

It's great Michael's continuing her education, but the cynical part of me thinks there's major problems behind the scenes and they're hoping the move to TN will provide a distraction. Michael will be so busy caring for everybody else's kids there won't be time to think about the lack of her own. 

I don't buy she is moving back to attend nursing school is 100 % of the reason. Sorry.

Is she trying to imply that in the greater chicago area there was no nursing school available for her to attend ? Bullsh*t.   Is she trying to somehow claim in-state TN tuition? ( link - 2nd paragraph) .What kind of nursing license level - CNA & LPN pgms are everywhere.. Hell - I saw a poster for some nursing school on a mass transit train...Yes - RN pgms are very competitive but all of a sudden she got into one in TN (ie no mention of wanting to do so earlier) ?

And lets say she completes the course of study ... She will be in the same boat as Abbie Duggar, only already married, worried about keeping up with the license. She is going to have to give up the career on day. esp when (I am remaining hopeful) baby pops out. What if she gets pregnant while doing the pgm ? Old Doc Vic will surely put her on bed rest.

I know I should be happy for her (well, anyone) who wants to further their education, but somehow this "moving back home to go to school" at age 29 makes me feel sorry for her, regardless of how homesick she is.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 6

Tennessee and other states have some really attractive grant programs for LPN programs that make them tuition free if you are a graduate of a Tennessee high school or got your GED in the state. I can't blame her for that. 

As for her age, she's not old by any stretch of the imagination for an LPN program. The average age a few years ago was 31. 

Good for her for not sitting around waiting to get pregnant. She's doing something with her life. And if she quits after she has or adopts a baby, that's fine too. Education (a real one) isn't wasted just because you aren't using it on a daily basis. 

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
  • Love 14
On 3/26/2019 at 3:12 PM, RebeccatheWriter said:

I grew up in TN. I just meant that logically it makes sense for him to stay in Hendersonville and search for a job in the wider Nashville area rather than pick up and move back to the Anderson County/Knoxville area. One can always move after finding a job. I just meant that staying there kept his options open with Nashville and the surrounding area. There are lots of churches and nonprofits in that area that would be good places to find work for him. 

Got it now :)

On 3/26/2019 at 10:07 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Michael and Brandon are moving (back in her case) to TN so she can attend nursing school in the fall. I'm pretty sure Brandon can do his job remotely, since it's graphics-related.

This news actually makes me very sad.  I think that more pressure will be put on Michael then what she needs.  Imagine what they would say to her?  Which would make her even sadder.  They all claim that anything/everything is God's will.   If that is the case, then they should accept the fact that for whatever reason, God's plan does not include Michael and Brandon to be parents at this time but that doesn't mean that it is God's plan for Michael to take care of all her younger siblings, niece, and nephews.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, iluvobx said:

This news actually makes me very sad.  I think that more pressure will be put on Michael then what she needs.  Imagine what they would say to her?  Which would make her even sadder.  They all claim that anything/everything is God's will.   If that is the case, then they should accept the fact that for whatever reason, God's plan does not include Michael and Brandon to be parents at this time but that doesn't mean that it is God's plan for Michael to take care of all her younger siblings, niece, and nephews.

Maybe Michaela has grown a backbone and that's the real reason behind going to school to become a nurse. She can babysit when she wants, but she can claim homework when she doesn't want to be a slave. 

5 hours ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

Tennessee and other states have some really attractive grant programs for LPN programs that make them tuition free if you are a graduate of a Tennessee high school or got your GED in the state. I can't blame her for that. 

As for her age, she's not old by any stretch of the imagination for an LPN program. The average age a few years ago was 31. 

Good for her for not sitting around waiting to get pregnant. She's doing something with her life. And if she quits after she has or adopts a baby, that's fine too. Education (a real one) isn't wasted just because you aren't using it on a daily basis. 

Which TN  grant ? Don't you have to be a resident of the state? She's been in IL for a few years, now.  And I would think IL would have a similar grant/scholarship pgm.

We have a similar pgm in GA but one must be a resident, which has to be approved  by the university/school in question.  And normally there is  a time limit on when you earn your HS Dipoloma/GED, (but sometimes there is not) to qualify for scholarship/grant the pgm. 

I'm not saying she is too old to be an LPN.

Edited by sATL
3 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Josie and Kelton are having a girl named Willow Kristy (Kristy is Kelton's mom's name).

Willow is pretty much exactly the name I would have predicted Josie to choose. 

How "Asheville" of them. 

I kid 🙂 But, seriously, one of my most favorite 6 year old's name is Willow- named after her father- Will. 

It's also the store brand at Aldi so I always think of her when I shop there. 

Edited by Mountainair
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, sATL said:

Which TN  grant ? Don't you have to be a resident of the state? She's been in IL for a few years, now.  And I would think IL would have a similar grant/scholarship pgm.

We have a similar pgm in GA but one must be a resident, which has to be approved  by the university/school in question.  And normally there is  a time limit on when you earn your HS Dipoloma/GED, (but sometimes there is not) to qualify for scholarship/grant the pgm. 

I'm not saying she is too old to be an LPN.

I don't know the name of the grant. It is modeled after the Georgia one, which my friend wrote the backgrounder for a few years ago. It's less stringent and last I checked the person has to be accepted into a program on the critical needs list for careers and must have a diploma from TN and no higher than an AS. Some programs get paid in full. Others 75%. And still others receive a stipend plus the tuition to cover uniforms and other expenses. Illinois didn't have the program as of last year and I doubt that has changed. Most states base it on where you graduated high school from or where you have studied most recently. So Tennessee is the answer to both of those for her. 

At one point this was the Critical Career Grant program, but I heard the name changed. Many students overlook it because it only covers LPN and not RN. It is not so much about higher education as it is about training people to get in the workforce. It is promoted internally mostly so people don't rush out and major in something just to get free tuition and then change to what they really want at the last minute. 

She could qualify for that and possibly WIOA funds (if she got the right coordinator), as well as Pell or similar programs. Tennessee's version of HOPE probably isn't going to work for her at her age, but I don't know it as well. There are other needs based ones too. And sometimes these community colleges have foundations with donors who have big pockets. A friend of mine wanted to go back to school for criminal justice. A family of a woman killed while training to be an officer paid her whole way through simply because she reminded them of their daughter. 

Michaela moved to Chicago are in 2015. So she would be considered a resident for tuition there. But Tennessee has different rules. They look at where your support is coming from in terms of money. If most of it is from out of state, then you are not a resident. If it is in state, then you are. Most of the time (and this is not always) it is simply required to have a proof of intention to stay - a driver's license.

As for her age:  

I only meant on the age thing that she will be in class with others her age. Many will be married, but just as many will be single and usually moving back home to mom and dad to start over in a new career. Most healthcare programs at community and technical colleges, as well as education programs, are nearly impossible to juggle with a job. So you'll find a lot of people swallowing their pride to move back home if just for the emotional support. Now if she was moving Brandon back home for her to study something less demanding and more frivolous, I'd say it was too late for that kind of thing. But with the rigors of these kinds of programs, I would assume she will appreciate a home cooked meal that she doesn't have to cook or feeling a part of things when she has been seemingly more isolated in Chicago. 

She seems more introverted than some of her sisters, so I can see it being harder on her to be away than someone like Alyssa. John has sisters and sisters-in-law who are close to them in Florida to provide social interaction too. Plus Alyssa seems more over the whole giant family thing than Michael. 

Brandon's sisters are not in Chicago. Brandon's not my kind of guy, but kudos to him for either recognizing or being open to the idea of change being good for her. I'm sure they thought she would be busy being mom to 2-3 kids by now and this wouldn't be a possibility.  As someone who recently had to come to a tough realization and make a decision that highlighted that, I'm not ready to be disappointed in her yet for this one. 

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
  • Love 1

I just checked the Bates family insta... so Bobbi & Tori are moving to Knoxville. Erin’s decorating skills in the Nashville nursery were used for a very short time period. These people. Anything for an episode. 

Tori probably wants help with her baby. Calling in all the sisters to babysit. Caring for a baby is just another on the long list  of the things Tori isn’t into. (Eyeroll) 

• Love 8

Yawn. This episode was nothing more than an advertisement for that cheesy inn. The location was beautiful, but the mint green room with red carpet was killing me.

Bradley is so freaking cute. So are Jeb and Jud.

I wonder if Carlin will make Evan move to Knoxville now that Bobby and Tori have bailed on Nashville. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I wonder what Bobby and Tori's story really is? Did he flame out, or did Tori hound him until he was forced to move back to Knoxville just to keep the peace?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wonder what Bobby and Tori's story really is? Did he flame out, or did Tori hound him until he was forced to move back to Knoxville just to keep the peace?

I was wondering if maybe Tori was pregnant again. Maybe baby #2 happened much more quickly than they were expecting & she pressured him to bail home to the family for help. Either that or maybe something didn't go as expected with his job? Wonder where he's planning to work now?

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

If I had to guess, I'd say Tori. She probably hated being in Nashville with no one to dump her kid on, so back to Knoxville they go!

• Love 4

Erin and Chad used to be my favorite Bates' couple.  I think my heart was turned to them when Erin tried so hard to have their first child.  Chad was so supportive and loving.  I don't know what it is, but here of late all the hand-holding, leg-touching stuff is wearing thin.  I noticed Gil and Kelly holding hands while sitting on the couch having a family briefing with the kids for crying out loud!  

Chad and Whitney are still my favorite Bates' in-laws though.  Chad is sincerely humble.  When Erin gives him all these glowing "best-husband-in-the-whole-wide-world" speeches, it embarrasses him.  He shakes his head "no, I'm not", but she keeps on plowing ahead.  But when he sings her praises, her response is fake to me.  All that squealing and "I-can't-believe-he-did-this" stuff, sounds hollow to me.  Whitney and Zach seem to really enjoy each other.  They laugh at the same things - that's a good sign.  She's so pretty.

On another note, Nathan is blowing up like a balloon!  I don't know if it's meds or food.  And Zach is a very good-looking guy now that he's trimmed down and buffed up.  His dimples are adorable.  I used to think he was the homely brother, but not anymore!

• Love 13

Zach and Whitney seem more normal. They're happy together, but they lovingly tease other and crack jokes. I don't mind Erin and Chad, but they're like a couple on a perpetual first date. They're so hyper-conscious about saying the right thing, doing the right thing, displaying the proper emotions etc., that it becomes exhausting to watch. Their relationship is a stage production whereas Zach and Whit are more authentic. 

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Zach and Whitney seem more normal. They're happy together, but they lovingly tease other and crack jokes. I don't mind Erin and Chad, but they're like a couple on a perpetual first date. They're so hyper-conscious about saying the right thing, doing the right thing, displaying the proper emotions etc., that it becomes exhausting to watch. Their relationship is a stage production whereas Zach and Whit are more authentic. 

I can’t describe like my brain views it so it’s futile for me to try but I think Whit seems the fakest. She reads to me like someone playing a part. She’s married into this saccharine shit show and by golly has thrown her whole world into projecting “special and sweet”.  

Conversely I see Erin as really believing what she’s selling. It seems almost surreal to me but I actually believe her. 

I hope this doesn’t come off argumentative as is in no way intended. But I could almost see Whit in bed at night going “damn, I could use a strong drink but gotta keep up the facade” and Erin “farmhouse decorating is so mesmerizing and wonderful. Life is perfect”. 

I in general am in awe of the “ain’t this the greatest life and constant smiles” from this family. I grew up in a house filled with nothing but laughter and love but we aren’t so...perfect. I know it’s a show but I think this show would appeal to more if every now and then we saw Chad (or anyone) throw a hammer down (not at anyone) and say “dag nab it I feel a little overwhelmed and need a second”.  

The infinite perfection persona has got to be exhausting  

• Love 10

It's worth remembering that we don't see their entire lives, we only see what they choose to share on social media and the show. The cameras aren't there 24/7 and it's not the type of show that promotes family melodrama. I have no doubt there are occasional conflicts, even between Erin and Chad.

• Love 2

Erin - let  chef Tim cook, teach and explain the techniques of  the Pan Seared Chicken Breast with  Portobello Cream Gravy w/o all of the " oohh-ga-ga I love it"...

I wonder how did chad feel about: (1) chef Tim was a man (ie does he think cooking is womans work) and (2) the chef asked him to clean out the mushroom - I'm surprised he didn't do one mushroom and turn the other over to Erin

On the subject of food... what do the bates do with all of the pumpkins from the farm ? Make pies, soup, etc ? donate them to the food pantry ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2

ok.... we have seen - 

• A 5 yr vow renewal b/w Zach and Whitney - whose original wedding wasn't airied
  • A 5 yr engagement/anniversary b/w Erin and Chad , at the exact location, whose parts of their story was on 18/19 and counting

Anybody taking bets on seeing an "event" b/w Alyssa and John whose courtship, engagement, wedding wasn't widely aired on TLC ?

Kelli is determined to make sure every girlie has their day...or a repeat of their day..

wonder did Kelli read Kris Kardashian Jenner book of how to be a mom-ager... from the bn.com excerpt from Kris book : "  She (Kris) also puts her often controversial parenting style under the microscope as she relates the details of her decision to make her charming family into an international brand with a blockbuster reality television franchise.".....  

And Kelli is/does.... granted UPN is a ways from a blockbuster network.. but ... we are watching what - season 8... nothing wrong with being a big fish in a small pond... 😁😁

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

The Whitestone Country Inn had to have comped that room for Erin & Chad.  I looked it up out of curiosity and it’s $295/night.  No way they have enough money for that. 

I Googled the Inn also, and rates range from $165 to $335 per night.  It's a bed and breakfast, but it still seems high to me.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, sATL said:

Erin - let  chef Tim cook, teach and explain the techniques of  the Pan Seared Chicken Breast with  Portobello Cream Gravy w/o all of the " oohh-ga-ga I love it"...

I kept wanting Chef Tim to tell Erin, "here's a hair tie.  Pull your hair back while we are in the kitchen."

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 7

The Whitestone Inn was smart to comp all that stuff for the show.  I'm sure they are looking for just that demographic, with the cute little church and all.  Now they should make an offer to the Duggars and try to get on their show.  Too bad the fundy weddings are way to big to hold in that church.

• Love 1

So I finally caught up on the last couple episodes... Wow! I had to take little breaks from Erin & Chad’s anniversary trip. It was almost cringeworthy she was so fakey fake, happy, lovey, perfect, perfect, perfect. She is definitely high on life...or something. I don’t know how she keeps that up all the time. I swear she said “I love it” , “I’m so excited” and “oh my word” over & over again. Her perma grin is almost frightening. She is one of my least favorites. I also thought it was hilarious when she told chef Tim that he was “doing a good job”. Go sit down Erin... he’s a chef, a real one. 

Also, on the previous episode where Josie is decorating her apartment... I got the impression Carlin was almost making fun of Josie’s boho style. Like “she’s so cool.”(I personally love her style btw)  I get a whiff of jealousy from Carlin when it comes to Josie. I read somewhere that Josie was frequently left out when it came to the other sisters and I wondered if it was because they were jealous of her. She seems closer to Whitney than her own sisters. 

• Love 6

Omg. The MAGA hat on one of the little boys (Jeb ?)  at Bradley’s birthday party. Vomit. I guess they’re cool with a thrice married, porn loving, pussy grabbing bully. I still don’t understand how evangelists perform the mental gymnastics required to make Trump a Christian champion. 

• Love 21
17 minutes ago, LongDenimFrumper said:

Also, on the previous episode where Josie is decorating her apartment... I got the impression Carlin was almost making fun of Josie’s boho style. Like “she’s so cool.”(I personally love her style btw)  I get a whiff of jealousy from Carlin when it comes to Josie. I read somewhere that Josie was frequently left out when it came to the other sisters and I wondered if it was because they were jealous of her. She seems closer to Whitney than her own sisters. 

I loved her style as well. Josie has a more serious, mature personality. It's definitely no surprise she gravitates towards Whitney and Alyssa over Carlin/Erin. Alyssa isn't book smart, but I think she's pragmatic in how she manages her home and family life. Likewise, Whit and Zach seem to be making smart decisions for themselves. They took out a mortgage so they could own a home and build equity, versus "debt free" Chad and Erin who've been in a rental for over five years now. 

Regarding Bobby, is Gil's church up and running? I wonder if he'll take some sort of position there. I can't imagine it would pay much, but at least they'd be closer to the family. Baby Kade is adorable.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

If he's not back at Gil's church, I'll eat my non-existent hat. 

That would be a shame. Gil's not going to hire him to do something substantial at the church that would actually be a good use of his education. When Bobby first moved to TN, Gil's idea of a job at the church was odd jobs and cleaning, as Gil is the only preacher amongst them. I'm not sure his ego would allow for someone younger and more trained in actual ministry to take on a leadership role at the church. 

I hope that if he does go for a job under Gil that it is simply temporary and he's out interviewing or whatever you do to get a church job. I may not be a fan of Tori's attitude and behavior, but Bobby seems like a nice person overall. The best thing for him and for her would be to put distance between them and the family. His parents would probably agree. 

• Love 3

Hold up,.. Didn't Bobby have a church job ? I thought he was a/ the  youth pastor located on the outskirts of Nashville. Granted that's not "the 1st in charge" but still a very important and potentially prominent position, as you are working with young people - the next generation. Many youth pastors do later become the "1st in charge".

To leave that position to peddle under FIL Gil, in a church that barely has 4 walls and a foundation, really doesn't make too much sense professionally. But to keep Tori happy, yes.

What happened to the life story that kids do move away (next city, next state(s) over),  start&stay and live their own lives ? Too old school? It seems like Bates kid-adults have issue moving too far away from Knoxville. It almost makes sense the couples find a big patch of land they can sub-divide and each build their own house.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1