Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I record the Thursday night airing and typically watch later that night. It's been recording the entire hour since even before the design twins' show. I guess it's UP's surreptitious way of trying to get more ratings for the second show. If you don't watch it, see does it still count?

Mine's been doing that too. While "claiming" its an hour of Bringing Up Bates. But nope its an always a half hour or an hour and a half when its an hour long episode. Its very annoying. If that's their plan to get me to watch the show its failing. I just delete it every time it starts.

• Love 7
On 4/5/2019 at 7:44 AM, Kathy said:

Why does Gil have to go everywhere with everyone?  These are grown men and they can't go on this birthday thing with Zack without dad?  Kelly is the same way.  Does Gil even work anymore?

Erin in curlers and no makeup in the car going to see the birth was great.  Finally a chance to see her not all perfectly made up makes her seem more real.

Poor Tori. hurting. doing those squats and the whole time her mom  NEVER shutting up!  Tori looked like she was going to yell shut up!  I would have loved to see that as I was saying

Yes to the no makeup and curlers. Hockey Addicts face is lucky if it even gets a speck of makeup

• Love 1

The arrival of baby Kade part 2: best quote of the episode from Carlin:

" Erin has to take the moment".

Pretty much summed up the birth.

Tied for  2nd :

(1)  Kelli (said the next or later that morning}-

"Oh my goodness he's had his bath since we saw him"  ---> wasn't he supposed to be bathed ? Or were they supposed to wait on the royal highness queen Kelli to return ?

(2) Lawson, Nate (who has gained weight) , Trace, sitting on couch :

" Josie she's having a kid. It makes you think - what am I doing with my life?" . Lawson - "good question".

Yep - its time boys to get off of the pot.

Poor Johnny Jr (and Kade)... poor little puppy must have been terrified meeting so many people at once. No wonder he peed on the floor so quickly.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4
On 4/10/2019 at 4:05 PM, andromeda331 said:

Mine's been doing that too. While "claiming" its an hour of Bringing Up Bates. But nope its an always a half hour or an hour and a half when its an hour long episode. Its very annoying. If that's their plan to get me to watch the show its failing. I just delete it every time it starts.

My dvr (or cable company or Up...whoever) has been doing it for awhile. I got sucked in to a couple of the ‘Expecting’ shows and maybe 1 episode of the wedding show. The design twins are an immediate delete. But it is super annoying. If it is UP, then for them to be a Christian-like network, it seems dishonest. 

• Love 6

I kind of felt bad for Bobby and Tori this episode. First, because Erin totally hijacked the birth and second because Josie hijacked Tori's new baby thunder with her pregnancy announcement. You definitely don't get the spotlight for long in this family, that's for sure. 

The puppy was cute, but ideally dogs shouldn't be separated from their mothers until eight weeks. Gil purchasing him at six screams "Backyard breeder too cheap to pay for the first round of vaccines." I'm actually shocked the Bateseses had his predecessor for 18 years. All I could think of was the myriad of Duggar pets who've disappeared with no explanation.

I agree, Nathan is getting chunky.

That's all I've got.

• Love 12
13 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I kind of felt bad for Bobby and Tori this episode. First, because Erin totally hijacked the birth and second because Josie hijacked Tori's new baby thunder with her pregnancy announcement. You definitely don't get the spotlight for long in this family, that's for sure. 

The puppy was cute, but ideally dogs shouldn't be separated from their mothers until eight weeks. Gil purchasing him at six screams "Backyard breeder too cheap to pay for the first round of vaccines." I'm actually shocked the Bateseses had his predecessor for 18 years. All I could think of was the myriad of Duggar pets who've disappeared with no explanation.

That's all I've got.

what breed of dog is JJ? it is the same as Johnny the 1st ?

Hopefully its a breed that likes noise, lots of handling/playtime and people. Especially into its old age...2 generations of kids went after the poor little guy... Carson/Bradley and Jeb/Judson..

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, BitterApple said:

That's all I've got.

Erin would have totally been the mean girl going for the cheer team in high school if she hadn't been homeschooled. Carlin too. But seriously, Erin was worse that Kelly Jo with the screeching and squealing. Tori's having a baby. She doesn't need confetti, streamers, and pom poms while she is giving birth. If I was Tori, I would have kicked all of them out.  

Nathan's face is looking especially square and full these days. 

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, sATL said:

what breed of dog is JJ? it is the same as Johnny the 1st ?

Hopefully its a breed that likes noise, lots of handling/playtime and people. Especially into its hold age...2 generations of kids went after the poor little guy... Carson/Bradley and Jeb/Judson..

did more searching... according to this site ( link - bullet #11 ) - JJ is a Labrador Retriever

https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/labrador-retriever#/slide/1

Had to chuckle at the first hightlight point - 

"Labrador Retrievers love, love, love to eat, and become obese very quickly if overfed. Limit treats, give your Lab plenty of exercise, and measure out regular meals rather than leaving food out all the time. And be warned that the Lab's large appetite extends to people food and even inedible items. Labradors will forage in garbage, counter surf, and can make a meal out of chewed-up items like children's toys. " 😀

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3

Christmas is actually a terrible time to introduce a puppy into a home. Lots of chaos and people, more likelihood of it getting food it shouldn't have, etc. But that's every damn day in that house so I guess it doesn't really make a difference. I feel so sorry for the poor little guy. 

Of course it's from a backyard breeder and I doubt he'll ever have a round of vaccines. Like family, my ass. You know what you'd see nonstop if I had a reality show? My dogs. In the house, in the yard, with us at the park, and so on, because they are family. It would be 100% impossible to edit them out. We've barely seen that dog they had for so many years and supposedly loved so much. People like them should not be allowed to have pets. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Balka gender reveal will be on some baby show UP airs on 4/25. Other than that, they're not coming back until September. They're billing it as Part 2 of this season, so unless the guide says S9, I guess we can keep this thread going. I don't really look forward to CarVan wedding planning or yet another crowded hospital room as Josie gives birth.

• Love 4

Erin was totally annoying to me in the hospital room. Why were there so many people? This is a hospital delivery room, not a tailgate party. Shut Up Erin. Tori was clueless about labor and delivery? Didn't she EVER read a good about it? Did she have  Dr. Vick, or a midwife, properly trained or not treat her? No indication of who that person was.

I agree that a puppy is not a good idea for these types of families. They are way too large, noisy and busy to properly take care of a dog. Poor little guy.

Josie and Kelton also need to read a book about conception; how and when that happens. They looked uneducated about how/why she was expecting so soon after marriage. What do they expect? Josie isn't ready to be a mother yet at 19, she said so herself. There goes her 'freedom' already.

• Love 3

What is it with these families that make it seem like giving birth should be a party.  I've never given birth, but I would want the doctor, a nurse, the father of the baby and no one else.  I know quite a few women who have wanted their mother with them, but I feel like it would just be the two of us when the baby was conceived, it doesn't need to be a family party when the baby is born.  

Poor lil' puppy.  He was stressed.  If they are crazy enough to bring a puppy into this family, Christmas was NOT the time to do it. There were more people than usual as well as being on the Christmas "high."  That little guy was thrown to the wolves.  Count me in with those above who were thinking backyard breeder. When they said he was six weeks old, I thought he's still too young. Give the puppy a couple of more weeks with his mom and siblings.  But years ago I had a rescue that they claim was nine weeks old, but the vet was thinking more about six weeks old. 

Josie, Josie, Josie... with all the babies born in this family how are you surprised this happened so quickly.  If you had stopped by Wal-Mart on your way to Asheville you could have bought some condoms and you wouldn't have had a honeymoon baby, but I know birth control is evil.   Which is worse, birth control so that you can spend some time getting to know each other or having a baby 9 months after you first spent any time alone together.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Lisa418722 said:

What is it with these families that make it seem like giving birth should be a party.  I've never given birth, but I would want the doctor, a nurse, the father of the baby and no one else.  I know quite a few women who have wanted their mother with them, but I feel like it would just be the two of us when the baby was conceived, it doesn't need to be a family party when the baby is 

I wouldn't either. The birth of your first child is a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. I feel like poor Bobby was robbed of that special moment because Erin kept crowding the bed and honing in on the baby, while Kelly yammered on endlessly. He couldn't get a minute alone with his wife and child. I think Alyssa has the right idea with regards to family and labor: "don't call us, we'll call you." 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 16
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I wouldn't either. The birth of your first child is a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence. I feel like poor Bobby was robbed of that special moment because Erin kept crowding the bed and honing in on the baby, while Kelly yammered on endlessly. He couldn't get a minute alone with his wife and child. I think Alyssa has the right idea with regards to family and labor: "don't call us, we'll call you." 

I'm hoping Josie takes after Alyssa on the birth thing. Kelton shouldn't call until the baby is crowning. Even then don't tell them the room number. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Erin was really annoying in this episode. If I were Tori I would have thrown her out along with Kelly who was also annoying. What also annoyed me about Erin is she brought Everly along and then left her with Gil to take care of. Why didn't she leave her with Chad? She brings her baby but then needs someone to watch her baby. 

I don't understand all the surprise and how little the Bates women seem to know about pregnancy and birth. Tori didn't know what dilated meant? Really? You never heard that in all your mom and sisters deliveries? Josie is so surprised that she got pregnant so fast. Really, Josie? How absolutely shocking. Its not as if Erin, Alyssa and Tori all got pregnant so quickly too. And Whitney. But oh what a shock. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Poor Bobby looked lost. It seemed like he didn't know where to stand or what to do.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Poor Bobby looked lost. It seemed like he didn't know where to stand or what to do.

He seemed stuck in his position at Tori's head.  I feel like my husband was down at the other end watching for the baby.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Bates Sisters' Boutique is now live.

Sorry but a lot of these dresses are fug. Seems like you could get something similar at Walmart for cheaper. But the leghumpers are definitely flocking, because most are sold out already.

These dresses are much, much too expensive for the majority to not have pockets. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Sorry but a lot of these dresses are fug. Seems like you could get something similar at Walmart for cheaper. But the leghumpers are definitely flocking, because most are sold out already.

10 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

This boutique has been open for how many hours?   Out of 14 dresses, 11 are already out of stock.  None of the dresses look very flattering.

Might be a internet and/or SM sales-marketing ploy (gimmick)... "Our dresses sold out in x-hours after the site came up"... when in reality they probably had 1-3 of each size bought up by pre-selected customers.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 5

OMG, those dresses are cheap and poorly made. The main photo ad with Erin in the aqua striped dress shows that the bottom half of the dress is ill-sewn to the top part. The horizontal stripe isn't gathered correctly. The bottom stripe 'disappears' in to the seam. That dress is offo-center. Bad choices to feature IMO. ..oh, and Erin, get your damn hair out of the way so we can see the whole dress.

Some of those 'sitting poses' feature the wearer of the dress instead of the dress itself. We can't see the whole dress. Bad photos, bad styles and bad quality IMO.

• Love 6

I am not impressed with the quality of the dresses in the photos or the photos themselves. I would not calling selling out fast a success until they see how their suppliers manage. The cost of them is more than would typically do well at that quality. 

I admit I buy a rather cheap style dress that is horribly made. The thing falls apart in the wash after one or two times. But I buy them for $10. I wear it and wash it. If it falls apart, I throw it out and get another. It's very comfy and I love it. 

I see on IG that some are questioning where the dresses are made. 

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:20 AM, BitterApple said:

I think Alyssa has the right idea with regards to family and labor: "don't call us, we'll call you." 

I wouldn't go by anything Alyssa does. She seems to put up with her family just because.  I have a feeling if she could get away with not seeing them she would.    

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I wouldn't go by anything Alyssa does. She seems to put up with her family just because.  I have a feeling if she could get away with not seeing them she would.    

I think it's awesome that she is that way. I'm that way too with the exception of my parents. 

• Love 1

I'm not sure if any of you saw the Instagram post for Chad on the Bates Family page. Kelly was wishing him Happy Birthday and mentioned that one of his best attributes is that he "never says no" to anyone. IMO, that is an incredibly unhealthy way for an adult to live their life. You could argue he's just a naturally easygoing guy, but the fact he's aging in dog years tells me he's feeling the stress. Circling back to Alyssa, I think it's great she's able to set boundaries and do what's best for her sanity. When you have an overwhelmingly needy family, space and distance can be a good thing.

• Love 11
23 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I think that's unfair given the times she came back for family gatherings in TN, especially Zach and Whitney's unnecessary second wedding. Traveling with 3 small children is no picnic. She doesn't seem to mind family visits as long as the entire family isn't in her house and I don't blame her. She's a lot like Mama Jane in that regard.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I'm not sure if any of you saw the Instagram post for Chad on the Bates Family page. Kelly was wishing him Happy Birthday and mentioned that one of his best attributes is that he "never says no" to anyone. IMO, that is an incredibly unhealthy way for an adult to live their life. You could argue he's just a naturally easygoing guy, but the fact he's aging in dog years tells me he's feeling the stress. Circling back to Alyssa, I think it's great she's able to set boundaries and do what's best for her sanity. When you have an overwhelmingly needy family, space and distance can be a good thing.

I think it's easier for Alyssa to be able to say no to her family because she doesn't live nearby.  Chad, on the other hand, is married to Erin who still wants to be completely involved in her birth family (she doesn't live by the cleave and leave motto in my opinion).  Kelly may have said "he never says no," but I wonder how much of it is he doesn't say no and how much of it is Erin volunteers Chad without asking him.   I do worry about Chad's health because I wonder how much longer he's going to be able to keep on going this way. 

• Love 5
On 4/20/2019 at 8:21 AM, IndianPaintbrush said:

This is a big thing online, lately.  A lot of people who used to sell Lularoe have left that MLM and moved into having their own "boutique" where they buy fairly cheap stuff from Amazon or Alibaba and then resell it as their own collections.  I don't think it would be super hard to find the original source for the dresses that they are selling and they likely are out of stock so quickly because they only stocked a very limited amount of each size.  Having your own boutique means you have to pre-purchase your stock, so someone has to pay for the clothes upfront.  

• Love 2

I’m shocked at how ugly those dresses are- because those three young women, in my opinion at least, have much better taste and style than those dresses would lead us to believe.  

• Love 3
21 hours ago, SoCalAgain said:

I’m shocked at how ugly those dresses are- because those three young women, in my opinion at least, have much better taste and style than those dresses would lead us to believe.  

They aren't my style at all. But I guess there is an audience for them. Some of the photography is laughable. There is one (https://batessistersboutique.com/product/the-daisy-blush-stripe/) Carlin is modeling where you cannot even see the dress from the way she's sitting. 

The quality doesn't appear to be that great with uneven hems and darts/seams. It does appear to be a drop ship business venture. As someone else said in another discussion, it appears to be basically a dropship business for dresses probably made in sweatshop conditions in Asia. 

• Love 2
On 5/2/2019 at 2:42 PM, RebeccatheWriter said:

Carlin is modeling where you cannot even see the dress from the way she's sitting. 

Yeah, but when you look at it, there are 3 views of the dress and in one of them she is standing up. Maybe they should have had that one as view #1.

• Love 1

That last picture is kind of creepy. I've seen couples pose that way to do pregnancy announcements on social media. Bradley and Kaci look like a miniature husband and wife. First two are cute though.

• Love 2