Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

• Start Topic

I realize it’s rude but my reaction to the Carlin and Evan baby news — 2 idiots and a baby. Married in May, pregnant in June, and expecting a baby in February before their first anniversary. But I guess they are #goals because with a late May wedding, clearly this is a honeymoon baby. Never met a 21 year old who doesn’t even want one year of fun and relaxation with her husband and instead wants her husband who she barely knows by her side for pelvic exams and giving her shots (as she has the same clotting disorder as Erin). And Evan is still an electrician apprentice for a few MORE YEARS — as he said recently. A 24 year old who hasn’t established a career yet and is still fascinated by the idea that he doesn’t live with mommy and daddy anymore (he’s mentioned it more than once on IG) should really be rushing to make babies ASAP.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I want to know how she found out she has the clotting disorder. I don't think she had time to have even the earliest of miscarriages and get pregnant again so soon to announce now.

People makes it seem like she found out on the battery of tests that happens at the first appointment — she happened to not have miscarried by then so they started her on the shots to keep the pregnancy going. I wonder if they went to that old creepy dr the Bates women fancy (and I don’t usually call drs creepy but the man had this look of eagnerness and his tongue hanging out at one of Erin’s births in a way that can only be perceived as gross on an obgyn) — maybe they went to him the moment she peed on the stick so bloodwork was done ASAP bc now that they know Erin has issues, they could have the same. It’s a solo practice that favors this family so I doubt they have to wait 6-8 wks for a first appointment.

Or given how eager these girls are to have a baby w their men and how much Kelly is into it, I wouldn’t be shocked if now bloodwork is done during courting just so they know 100% if they need to fly back from a honeymoon and go to the dr the next day for shots.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, cereality said:

People makes it seem like she found out on the battery of tests that happens at the first appointment — she happened to not have miscarried by then so they started her on the shots to keep the pregnancy going. I wonder if they went to that old creepy dr the Bates women fancy (and I don’t usually call drs creepy but the man had this look of eagnerness and his tongue hanging out at one of Erin’s births in a way that can only be perceived as gross on an obgyn) 

I agree about Dr. Vick. Something about him is weird, like I wouldn't be surprised to find out he was being sued by a patient for improper behavior. He definitely isn't a man I'd want poking around in my lady bits. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10
On 9/4/2019 at 2:06 PM, cereality said:

People makes it seem like she found out on the battery of tests that happens at the first appointment — she happened to not have miscarried by then so they started her on the shots to keep the pregnancy going. I wonder if they went to that old creepy dr the Bates women fancy (and I don’t usually call drs creepy but the man had this look of eagnerness and his tongue hanging out at one of Erin’s births in a way that can only be perceived as gross on an obgyn) — maybe they went to him the moment she peed on the stick so bloodwork was done ASAP bc now that they know Erin has issues, they could have the same. It’s a solo practice that favors this family so I doubt they have to wait 6-8 wks for a first appointment.

Or given how eager these girls are to have a baby w their men and how much Kelly is into it, I wouldn’t be shocked if now bloodwork is done during courting just so they know 100% if they need to fly back from a honeymoon and go to the dr the next day for shots.

I know Kelly mentioned after Erin's was discovered that they were going to test the rest of the girls. I always wondered if they did. So Carlin has it, Erin has it and didn't Tori have to do shots or something for her pregnancy? 

On 9/4/2019 at 12:40 PM, cereality said:

I realize it’s rude but my reaction to the Carlin and Evan baby news — 2 idiots and a baby. Married in May, pregnant in June, and expecting a baby in February before their first anniversary. But I guess they are #goals because with a late May wedding, clearly this is a honeymoon baby. Never met a 21 year old who doesn’t even want one year of fun and relaxation with her husband and instead wants her husband who she barely knows by her side for pelvic exams and giving her shots (as she has the same clotting disorder as Erin). And Evan is still an electrician apprentice for a few MORE YEARS — as he said recently. A 24 year old who hasn’t established a career yet and is still fascinated by the idea that he doesn’t live with mommy and daddy anymore (he’s mentioned it more than once on IG) should really be rushing to make babies ASAP.

That's pretty much my opinion. Given what we see of Carlin and Evan they seem like the types who would put off having a kid for awhile because they are really into themselves, each other and taking selfies. In the normal world they'd be married or living together while having fun. But because their in Fundie world nope their married and having a baby. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3

From the People article:

Adding to the excitement is the fact that she’s expecting at the same time as Whitney and Erin Bates: “I’ve learned something from each one of them. They’ve already answered so many questions that I’ve had. I know we have bonded even more, now that we have motherhood in common. My sisters are my best friends.”

My heart continues to ache for Michaela. Carlin's allowed to be happy, but statements like this only reinforce the notion that pregnancy/motherhood is an exclusive 'club' that Michaela might never belong to.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I agree about Dr. Vick. Something about him is weird, like I wouldn't be surprised to find out he was being sued by a patient for improper behavior. He definitely isn't a man I'd want poking around in my lady bits. 

I wouldn't be surprise either. Then again I'm not sure we've heard of any doctor in their group that hasn't been sketchy or worse. Dr. Paine-Erin's father-in-law who told one of Gothard's victims to eat a protein bar, the doctor to told the Duggars their miscarriage was caused by birth control pills, and the idiot midwife Jill trained under. It doesn't really seem like they find the best or even decent doctors. 

• Love 7
Just now, andromeda331 said:

I wouldn't be surprise either. Then again I'm not sure we've heard of any doctor in their group that hasn't been sketchy or worse. Dr. Paine-Erin's father-in-law who told one of Gothard's victims to eat a protein bar, the doctor to told the Duggars their miscarriage was caused by birth control pills, and the idiot midwife Jill trained under. It doesn't really seem like they find the best or even decent doctors. 

So true, not to mention the infamous pill-popping Fedosky who lost his medical license TWICE.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

From the People article:

My heart continues to ache for Michaela. Carlin's allowed to be happy, but statements like this only reinforce the notion that pregnancy/motherhood is an exclusive 'club' that Michaela might never belong to.

Me too. These people suck. The moment they trap some loser, it's ooohhh I feel soooo close to my sisters now because we're all in relationships. The moment they get said loser to put a ring on it, it's ooohhh I feel soooo close to my sister because we're all WIVES. We couldn't POSSIBLY hang out with our single bros or sisters bc they just don't get what it's like to be MARRIED. And then -- oohhhhh soo much closer because MOMMIES. I realize the Bates are less obvious about this than the Duggars, but they still make comments like the above, they still do double dates etc. with the older ones going out but only if you have a courting partner etc. And I realize the Bates sons in law aren't bad as far as fundie sons in law go, but aside from looks and a few of them having gone to trade school -- I don't see the big deal either. And as far as I'm concerned the Bates' women hold Chad, Bobby, Kelton, and Evan's by the ba!!s -- all of them running to live exactly where their women want them to live, which of course is where their inlaws want them to live . . . . John is the only independent man among them. Sure Kelton is from Knox so maybe it's natural he'd want to live there too and yet does he really need to be over at his inlaws' ALL the time, as opposed to him and his wife developing their own life??

Honestly I wish Michael and Brandon had moved away. I know she came back for nursing school but there are nursing schools in all 50 states. There's no reason she has to live right next door and be reminded that her sisters drop a baby yearly, and make comments like -- oh you don't know sisterly bonds until you're mom or you don't know love until you're a mom -- while you are unable to even drop one. And given who she is I have NO doubt that she is expected to babysit etc. because these constantly pregnant moms who already have 3 kids under 5 are sooooo tired that can't she just help -- I mean what has she got to be tired about??

Wish they had stayed in Chicago for nursing school, or if they had to move anywhere -- move to DC, as Brandon appears to have a sister who is [gasp] unmarried and w/o kids and yet holds down a good job, has a graduate degree and her own place etc. It would give Michael a daily example of -- there are MANY ways to live life and be happy. Instead of being around her sisters and mother who I'm sure are fake when they say "nursing school oh that's soooo great" while in their heart of hearts thinking -- that's too bad that she HAS to go to school and have a job because she doesn't have the job that God put her on earth for -- pregnancy + mothering.

• Love 15

Yawn.  Another pregnancy announcement.  I just can't with these people. 

I can only imagine how devastating these announcements are for Michaela.  Aside from the fact that she has been raised to believe that having babies for Jesus is her sole purpose in life, I get the impression that of all the sisters she is the one who genuinely loves babies the most.

When she completes her nursing training I would not be at all surprised if she chooses to work in labor and delivery or the NICU.

I am so sick of the boys and their "sexy staring" posed photos.  WTF is that about? 

• Love 13
On 9/4/2019 at 10:26 PM, cereality said:

Me too. These people suck. The moment they trap some loser, it's ooohhh I feel soooo close to my sisters now because we're all in relationships. The moment they get said loser to put a ring on it, it's ooohhh I feel soooo close to my sister because we're all WIVES. We couldn't POSSIBLY hang out with our single bros or sisters bc they just don't get what it's like to be MARRIED. And then -- oohhhhh soo much closer because MOMMIES. I realize the Bates are less obvious about this than the Duggars, but they still make comments like the above, they still do double dates etc. with the older ones going out but only if you have a courting partner etc. And I realize the Bates sons in law aren't bad as far as fundie sons in law go, but aside from looks and a few of them having gone to trade school -- I don't see the big deal either. And as far as I'm concerned the Bates' women hold Chad, Bobby, Kelton, and Evan's by the ba!!s -- all of them running to live exactly where their women want them to live, which of course is where their inlaws want them to live . . . . John is the only independent man among them. Sure Kelton is from Knox so maybe it's natural he'd want to live there too and yet does he really need to be over at his inlaws' ALL the time, as opposed to him and his wife developing their own life??

Honestly I wish Michael and Brandon had moved away. I know she came back for nursing school but there are nursing schools in all 50 states. There's no reason she has to live right next door and be reminded that her sisters drop a baby yearly, and make comments like -- oh you don't know sisterly bonds until you're mom or you don't know love until you're a mom -- while you are unable to even drop one. And given who she is I have NO doubt that she is expected to babysit etc. because these constantly pregnant moms who already have 3 kids under 5 are sooooo tired that can't she just help -- I mean what has she got to be tired about??

Wish they had stayed in Chicago for nursing school, or if they had to move anywhere -- move to DC, as Brandon appears to have a sister who is [gasp] unmarried and w/o kids and yet holds down a good job, has a graduate degree and her own place etc. It would give Michael a daily example of -- there are MANY ways to live life and be happy. Instead of being around her sisters and mother who I'm sure are fake when they say "nursing school oh that's soooo great" while in their heart of hearts thinking -- that's too bad that she HAS to go to school and have a job because she doesn't have the job that God put her on earth for -- pregnancy + mothering.

It may mean more air time and money for doing the show. Which sister of Brandon's is this? I know at least one of them is engaged. 

• Useful 1

@floridamom I'm in the same boat... I don't get UP either. Apparently the streaming service for UP allows you to watch shows but not the newest season... I'm also loath to pay for watching this show be it streaming or purchasing on Amazon. If anyone knows another way, please let us know!

Edited by LongDenimFrumper
  • Love 3

So I guess there will be a Bates son’s wedding in under a year.  Trace and Chaney just announced a courtship.  Given that their “getting to know you” period has been 8 mos per the article, I’m guessing all they need is a 3-6 mos courtship and 3-6 mos of wedding planning, which lends itself nicely to a spring or summer 2020 wedding.

Anyone know anything about her? Is she fundie too? How exactly did they meet? Trace has said they came across each other on a ski trip and the two families loved each other and here they are. But was this a fundie ski trip? Sure you can go skiing in Utah or Colorado or wherever and happen upon a cute girl and exchange numbers and long distance date. If you’re the love at first sight type, you can even have the families meet each other on the mountain bc you are certain you’re meeting your future inlaws. Yet the reality in the U.S in 2019 is that likely 90%+ of young people aren’t super religious and even if they are – once you tell them you can’t hold hands or kiss and need a formal “get to know you” period and btw in order to get a hot chocolate at the ski lodge, your 6 yr old sister needs to babysit you and btw before this progresses any further, there will be a formal “courtship” harkening back to the 1800s – most 21 yr olds would run away screaming . . . . So I’m not buying this – oh I ran into a cute girl at a ski lodge. Unless she really is a regular girl, and he is acting like a normal 22 yr old male -- kissing and holding hands, getting intimate, taking his future wife out to dinner without Jeb there babysitting him – mommy’s rules be damned . . . .

• Love 5
On 9/10/2019 at 4:33 AM, floridamom said:

Just switched cable companies (pricing). Xfinity doesn't offer UP at all on the line up they showed me. Does anyone know how I can access the episodes this season? thanks guys.

I have Xfinity and have UPTV  its 299HD    Maybe it isn't in your cable package, but they do offer it.  If not, you can get the app for like 4.99 a month. 

• Love 1
On 9/4/2019 at 2:57 PM, Sew Sumi said:

I want to know how she found out she has the clotting disorder. I don't think she had time to have even the earliest of miscarriages and get pregnant again so soon to announce now.

I have the same question. It just seems so irresponsible to know you have a high probability of a problem and not be tested for it prior to it potentially becoming an issue. Dr. Vick seems to have no issue with testing and coming up with conclusions. So one would think that each of the girls was tested at least by the age of 18 after Erin's diagnosis. These people are so pro-life and believe that miscarriage is akin to death, so it would stand to reason they would want to know and avoid such outcomes. 

On 9/4/2019 at 6:24 PM, andromeda331 said:

I know Kelly mentioned after Erin's was discovered that they were going to test the rest of the girls. I always wondered if they did. So Carlin has it, Erin has it and didn't Tori have to do shots or something for her pregnancy? 

Tori had low progesterone. That's different and she took pills for that. Low progesterone is seen as a precursor to miscarriage. Kelly was told the same thing with her later pregnancies because her progesterone was low and it was thought that hindered the embryo from implanting on the uterus wall correctly. There's some debate about that in medical circles, but typically women who are pregnant and show low progesterone are encouraged to take it to avoid risks of a miscarriage for that reason.

Erin (and presumably Carlin) have PAI (Plasminogen Activation Inhibitor), per season 1 of Bringing Up Bates. It is treated during pregnancy with a low-molecular-weight heparin treatment. This intervention (or a different form of it) have been successful thus far with Erin. 

• Useful 5
1 hour ago, answerphone said:

🤦 So, they've sold out and are promoting easy, pre-packaged foods during their show? 

They've apparently turned into an infomercial.🤷

Seriously, they aren't good enough actors to pull off commercials. And honestly, who does three chicken dishes for dinner and no sides or anything else?

Did Chaney ever speak other than the announcement of the winner?

I'm sure the big reveal at the party was for the show, but dang if that didn't put the "female girl" on the spot. I'm assuming she must have met some of them during the ski trip. 

I would be curious if Brandon and Michaela were held up and late arriving or if Kelly Jo decided to have dinner early for some reason? Though I wouldn't be thrilled with being part of the commercial either. Good for Michaela being excited about the little contest. While she is certainly the worker in the family, I'm not sure most of the siblings would see her as the fun one. It was nice to see her excited about something. 

The feminist in me raged for five good minutes after Kelly Jo's definition of chivalry. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I missed the beginning of the show. Where was this place that they held “I love you day”? Was it a rental? Did they stay there overnight? (Although it appeared that the daughters drove to the place) Was it close-by the Bates’ home? Did I use the apostrophe correctly?😄

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

This was the first episode of the "B" part of the season so we'll have to watch from here on.   I think it's in their usual range IIRC.

I think it's a little low. I thought they pulled in the 200k range before?

It's low class for such obvious product placement...and people still think this show is NOT scripted? Of course it always has been. Renting a place for "I love you day'? Kelly has too much time on her hands and obviously discretionary spending money laying around. Grow up and take care of your younger children and you household...and get a new 'look'.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Did anyone else think there was a little revisionist history going on with Whitney?  When she asked if any of the women were going skiing, it seemed like she was asking in a, "Hey, I don't want to be the only one," way.  Alyssa and Erin shut that down pretty quick with their, "Oh no, I have to stay home with the children."  Then, in the interview part where she was sitting with Zach, she described it as if she, of course, wasn't going to go skiing because she had to stay home to watch her kids.

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, MMLEsq said:

Did anyone else think there was a little revisionist history going on with Whitney?  When she asked if any of the women were going skiing, it seemed like she was asking in a, "Hey, I don't want to be the only one," way.  Alyssa and Erin shut that down pretty quick with their, "Oh no, I have to stay home with the children."  Then, in the interview part where she was sitting with Zach, she described it as if she, of course, wasn't going to go skiing because she had to stay home to watch her kids.

Yeah, Whitney totally wanted to go. It's like she was afraid everyone would think she was a bad mother if she left the kids at home and went skiing.

I don't understand the point of "couples only" for I Love You day when a bazillion grandkids were there. Why not just include everyone if it's not strictly an adults only event? I'm glad Michael won the costume contest. Poor thing seems to be grasping at something to celebrate. 

Josie's gender reveal was really emotional, especially with the way Kelton's maternal family was getting choked up. It seems like Kristy's passing is still very raw for them. Kelton's dad hasn't remarried even though it's been a respectable number of years, so I wonder if he's committed to raising the kids and that's it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

This family really needs to sit down and explain why and how their beliefs and customs have changed. Carlin was surprising in this episode. That 'any old church' comment was telling. I thought 'church' was the most important thing to them...after all isn't her father a 'self-proclaimed' minister/pastor? Why wouldn't she have a church that lines up with their beliefs as her 'venue' for her marriage ceremony? Also, the comments made by her fiancé about how she looked in that 'tight red dress' was not appropriate for their belief system. What happened to their home-sewn matching jumpers that the girls used to wear and their strict modesty dress code? Carlin was not married at that time and was supposed to still be under her father's authority of approval? Why are these girls wearing tight dresses? I think her dress was nice but YES, it was a purposely tight one. Not suitable for their belief system. Why was this dress ok?..oh, and Kelly, no dancing around the explanation.

• Love 9
On 9/21/2019 at 8:10 PM, Sew Sumi said:

It was in Clinton, TN. No clue how close that is to Rocky Top. Maybe it's a more centralized location? 

It appeared to be a rental.

They are in the same county and neighbors. Clinton is the larger of the two from my memory. My mom grew up in Clinton and was always going to Lake City for things (now Rocky Top). Oak Ridge is right in there too. 

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
On 9/24/2019 at 2:12 AM, BitterApple said:

Yeah, Whitney totally wanted to go. It's like she was afraid everyone would think she was a bad mother if she left the kids at home and went skiing.

I don't understand the point of "couples only" for I Love You day when a bazillion grandkids were there. Why not just include everyone if it's not strictly an adults only event? I'm glad Michael won the costume contest. Poor thing seems to be grasping at something to celebrate. 

Josie's gender reveal was really emotional, especially with the way Kelton's maternal family was getting choked up. It seems like Kristy's passing is still very raw for them. Kelton's dad hasn't remarried even though it's been a respectable number of years, so I wonder if he's committed to raising the kids and that's it. 

I agree. Whitney still has that need to be approved attitude. You can hear it in the way she works their language into her interviews. It's like she listens for keywords and then repeats them as though she thought that all along. 

The "couples only" thing seems to be punishment and a slam against those adult children who aren't in relationships. It basically singles out Lawson, Nathan, (and at that time), Trace, and Katie as being on the same level as Judson, Jeb, or Callie because they aren't there with a date or spouse. Suddenly it is the married couples and their children, dating couples, the grandparents, the aunt, etc. I could see if it was the out of town couples coming over for dinner at one of the local couples' houses because they are not in town often. But it seems exclusionary with it being planned or hosted by Kelly Jo and Gil. It could even be a nice thing for the couples to do with the other adult children while Kelly Jo and Gil babysat their grandchildren. 

The whole event has gotten away from how it was originally proposed and shown on the show. In United Bates of America and the first season or two of Bringing Up Bates, it was a chance for the nuclear family to be together since Thanksgiving and Christmas are often spent traveling to the grandparents. Plus the married couples split their time between in-laws and the Bates, meaning not everyone is at every Thanksgiving and/or Christmas. 

Kelly Jo also used to say that at Christmas so many other family members gave the children gifts that they did "I Love You Day" to allow the children to give gifts to each other. The good part of that was that each bought one gift (pulling names from a hat), meaning they weren't necessarily going to get their bff sibling. There were dollar limits ($10 the first time we saw it) and the parents cooked and served for the kids who normally did all the cooking. Now it is over the top and silly. I get having to rent a place with all the spouses, grandchildren, etc. It has looked very crowded over the recent years.  

• Love 8

Just watched the new episode and I absolutely cannot believe that Carlin was filmed turning her nose up at a church  wedding! Even more shocked that Erin backed her up on it stating that a venue would be the preferable choice! Wow... have the Bates changed their tune. I thought the “white church weddin’ “ was the absolute pinnacle for them? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Last week’s snark:

Agree with whoever said above that when it started I Love You day seemed like a sweet tradition – just a guaranteed day of family togetherness with a present for each kid from a sibling. Let’s be honest they were also tight on cash back then and with Thanksgiving and Christmas being back to back, between buying food for 2 huge meals + a present for each kid from mom/dad, there probably was no way they could even give each kid a few $ to buy a cheap sibling gift. So I bet it was “easier” to do that in February when there are less demands on a budget. Plus as the kids get married, it’s a holiday that they are guaranteed to spend with the Bates, whereas they all probably rotate Thanksgiving and Christmas with their inlaws.

But with the marriages, starts the exclusion because no matter what the say, they are fundies. The purpose of life = marriage + babies. If God hasn’t “blessed you” in that regard, you WILL have it rubbed in your face by your supposedly very godly siblings and parents – I was blessed and you weren’t, haha (hypocrites much?).  It’s the same way the Duggars all go on “dates” with 10 other siblings/inlaws but if you don’t have a beau, nope you’re not coming. After all if you’re Law or Nathan or Jana – you aren’t getting it on, what could you POSSIBLY talk to married people about, you should go color with the 5 year olds. Only in a fundie family would this ever work because they are indoctrinated this way and I think in their heart of hearts as they get to be aged 22+ (or 25+ for the guys) and aren’t married, they DO feel less than at some level. Bc in any other American family if your 15 siblings/inlaws were going to dinner, were the same age as you/grew up with you, but excluded you because you don’t have a husband or wife – you’d pretty much say eff you and call up a friend or two and hit up a bar or a movie and tell them to enjoy their lame dinner.

And how does that work with the grandparents. Didn’t Meemaw (Kelly’s mother) only marry Tom within the last year or 2? I guess they had no problem telling grandma – sorry get a relationship and then you can come to dinner, it’s a couples only dinner, what would you even talk to us about if you’re not in a RELATIONSHIP!?

It’s even lamer when the guys do the – marriage is the ONLY reason to live – BS.  We’ve seen past episodes with Zach saying straight faced that the reason that Nathan isn’t married is because he drives recklessly (at a racing activity they were doing) and Chad giggled along like a school girl in agreement. And this time we see John saying – oh I couldn’t ski fast, I was the only married guy there, I have a wife and 3 daughters depending on me.  We get it John – you’re a man because you’re doing it . . . . Sad but what else do these guys have to brag about.  It’s not like normal guys their age who travel the world, are drs/lawyers/well educated men . . . . All they get to hold onto is – I get to have SEX.

So I guess Purdue is now a sponsor. Because I really needed to see Carlin pulling out box after box of Purdue chicken with 10 min of gushing from Erin and Zach about the wonders of prepared chicken.  And it’s really normal to have a meal consisting of chicken artichoke dip + chicken parm + chicken cutlets all in one meal . . . .

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

Carlin crying when talking to her siblings about her wedding, crying when sitting with Evan at golf mentioning her upcoming wedding dress shopping and then crying when she found her dress and then gushing at the dress shop about how all of her dreams are coming true step by step was SAD.  And Gil then getting teary about how Carlin has always dreamed of being a princess and he has a pic of her as a little kid in a wedding dress was ridiculous and sad.

Yeah Gil – you and Kelly made sure they had NO other dreams besides finding a man + pushing out kids. What else would she have dreamt of being besides a bride? Did you ever talk to her about how awesome it’d be to be a doctor or lawyer or pilot (like a commercial or Air Force one not for fundie mission companies) or botanist or English professor? I’m thinking no – because you and your wife believe that the only women who HAVE TO those things are the ones who aren’t #blessed with a man + babies – like your unfortunate daughter Michael.

So I guess this week’s episode is brought to you by Top Golf and AARP? And I guess these sponsors don’t cut an actual check unless you devote x amount of time to discussing their services in depth? Because a 20 min show did not need 5-7 minutes each on Top Golf and AARP. Sorry but it would’ve been enough for Lawson to say let’s go to Top Golf + Evan to say how much he loves TG + an outdoor shot of the venue. Not one cares for 5-7 minutes of them selecting clubs, hitting golf balls and explaining the scoring system in depth . . . . If we care, we’d go ourselves to see it.

And sorry but a grown man (though a momma’s boy per his mom) needs his future mother in law to meet with him to plan his honeymoon?? He really wants his mother in law to see pics of the resort and the room where he’s going to get it up? I know they did it to be able to get a 5 min discussion about AARP’s travel services, but Evan if you really need your mother in law + AARP to tell you that when certain resorts costs hundreds/night and others cost $12/night, that discrepancy suggests a scam – maybe stay in the country and do a simply honeymoon like Brandon/Michael in the Rocky Mountains or John/Alyssa in Tahoe or Bobby/Tori in frozen northern Cal. in December.  I mean it’s just sex – it can be had anywhere – why fly to the Dominican Republic for it on your electrician apprentice salary??

• Love 14
45 minutes ago, cereality said:

Carlin crying when talking to her siblings about her wedding, crying when sitting with Evan at golf mentioning her upcoming wedding dress shopping and then crying when she found her dress and then gushing at the dress shop about how all of her dreams are coming true step by step was SAD.  And Gil then getting teary about how Carlin has always dreamed of being a princess and he has a pic of her as a little kid in a wedding dress was ridiculous and sad.

Yeah Gil – you and Kelly made sure they had NO other dreams besides finding a man + pushing out kids. What else would she have dreamt of being besides a bride? Did you ever talk to her about how awesome it’d be to be a doctor or lawyer or pilot (like a commercial or Air Force one not for fundie mission companies) or botanist or English professor? I’m thinking no – because you and your wife believe that the only women who HAVE TO those things are the ones who aren’t #blessed with a man + babies – like your unfortunate daughter Michael.

So I guess this week’s episode is brought to you by Top Golf and AARP? And I guess these sponsors don’t cut an actual check unless you devote x amount of time to discussing their services in depth? Because a 20 min show did not need 5-7 minutes each on Top Golf and AARP. Sorry but it would’ve been enough for Lawson to say let’s go to Top Golf + Evan to say how much he loves TG + an outdoor shot of the venue. Not one cares for 5-7 minutes of them selecting clubs, hitting golf balls and explaining the scoring system in depth . . . . If we care, we’d go ourselves to see it.

And sorry but a grown man (though a momma’s boy per his mom) needs his future mother in law to meet with him to plan his honeymoon?? He really wants his mother in law to see pics of the resort and the room where he’s going to get it up? I know they did it to be able to get a 5 min discussion about AARP’s travel services, but Evan if you really need your mother in law + AARP to tell you that when certain resorts costs hundreds/night and others cost $12/night, that discrepancy suggests a scam – maybe stay in the country and do a simply honeymoon like Brandon/Michael in the Rocky Mountains or John/Alyssa in Tahoe or Bobby/Tori in frozen northern Cal. in December.  I mean it’s just sex – it can be had anywhere – why fly to the Dominican Republic for it on your electrician apprentice salary??

It is a scripted reality show. I don’t put much faith in what they show as being totally accurate. They need to have something to air

• Love 2

I thought the same thing why not have Evan talking with his father, brother, or a friend or even the brother-in-law he mentioned where he got the suggestion for the Dominican Republic instead of his future mother-in-law.

Carlin talking about her wedding did make me feel sorry for her. She's someone who would have loved school dances, Homecoming and Prom. Probably drama club and other things. But thanks to her stupid parents never did. Its the same pretty much any time any of these girls get married. They put everything into the wedding because they don't get any other days. Its their prom/Homecoming/everything. And they never got the choice.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I didn't realize non-AARP members could take advantage of their deals. Isn't that privilege reserved for people who pay annual dues? 

Not a member, so I am genuinely curious.

The AARP website allows anyone to read the articles and use tools such as budget calculators (the episode where Tori and Bobby were moving) or look at recommended locations for a trip to Chicago (Erin and Kelly Jo go to Chicago). You can't get the discounts at hotels or with rental car companies without the membership number though. My parents are members so I see their magazine and information about lobbying efforts with social security, medicare, etc. 

I guess that was our yearly shout out to AARP that Kelly Jo does each season. Now they are adding in Top Golf, Purdue Chicken, and toothpaste. What was it last season? Cheerios? I think in the first season it was Tombstone Pizza with all of the family coming over to Zach and Whitney's house to see Bradley after he was born and bringing a dozen frozen pizzas. 

28 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I thought the same thing why not have Evan talking with his father, brother, or a friend or even the brother-in-law he mentioned where he got the suggestion for the Dominican Republic instead of his future mother-in-law.

Carlin talking about her wedding did make me feel sorry for her. She's someone who would have loved school dances, Homecoming and Prom. Probably drama club and other things. But thanks to her stupid parents never did. Its the same pretty much any time any of these girls get married. They put everything into the wedding because they don't get any other days. Its their prom/Homecoming/everything. And they never got the choice.

I do feel for her in that way. It was clear she wanted to be the center of attention, which she normally would have been if she was in a normal family. In the earlier weddings, all the girls went shopping for the dress, sometimes even a few of the brothers (see Michaela). However, everyone does have their own life with children, responsibilities, etc. She wanted them to oooh and ahhh over her, which is pretty typical of her behavior. That's not a slam. I get it. She was always very vocal with their dress choices so she wanted that same attention. Erin's wedding was only shown on the Duggars' show, but she was much the same way in a lot of things in her life. She wanted an audience as she gave birth (after Carson) and was protesting that Tori (a newlywed) wasn't there. 

It is sad that these girls are brought up to dream about nothing but weddings and motherhood. A few weeks ago on Callie's birthday there was a video posted where Gil did the social media message wishing her a happy birthday. With the boys Gil and Kelly Jo's messages are about their personalities and wishes for the future. Gil actually said in Callie's that he knows she'll be a good mother some day. There are so many things wrong with that. First, she's 10. She's a child. Talk about how she's tall enough to ride the roller coasters at Dollywood or how she is smart in one of her school subjects. Talk about how she is the youngest daughter and full of spunk and energy, keeping people laughing with her bold statements about the family. Be generic and say that she is going to do great things and they never know what to expect from her. Second, with the complications that some of the girls have experienced with infertility like Michaela and multiple miscarriages like Erin, etc., stop putting extra pressure on these girls from such an early age that a mother is all they can aspire to be in life. Yes, motherhood is a great thing. But it's not everything. 

It is sexist crap through and through. In last week's episode Kelly Jo and Gil are talking about waiting to see what happens with Trace and Chaney. They talk about being surprised that he brought her to the big party. You are telling me they didn't know? You are telling me that their daughters are required to have chaperones, permission, and multiple discussions about talking to a boy via text or riding in the same car as him, but the boys get to waltz a girl into the mix with no notice? Did someone have to go with him to pick her up from the airport (assuming she flew in)? 

Kelly Jo bullied and harangued poor Bobby and Brandon to death about proposing to Tori and Michaela. Even at Bobby's graduation party he was being questioned and told that "people" wanted to know when he would propose. We were not witness to it, but I'm betting she was the same way with Chad and John too. But with Chaney we have Kelly Jo saying, "We certainly don't want to rush anything or put any pressure on any of our children. We just think it's really a neat thing that God lined our families up and that we were able to meet and form these friendships, and we're just really excited about that."

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Don’t the conservatives have an alternative to the very liberal AARP? I forget what it’s called. I’m surprised the Bates are shilling for AARP. 

As for me, I joined the day I was eligible. They are fantastic. 

I'm guessing they aren't aware of some of the lobbying efforts. Shhhh....don't tell them. My understanding is that there is an organization called the Association of Mature American Citizens (AMAC) that says it is a conservative alternative. I don't know their size, but I doubt they have the money or inclination to pay to be mentioned so frequently by Kelly Jo. 

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Don’t the conservatives have an alternative to the very liberal AARP? I forget what it’s called. I’m surprised the Bates are shilling for AARP. 

As for me, I joined the day I was eligible. They are fantastic. 

Yeah but Kelly knows AARP is helping pay the bills so the fundy distain for AARP takes a back seat. Got to pay for those wedding dresses.

• Love 6