Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

• Start Topic

stop.jpg.82f8b2c45379815a198dd24cbc890af4.jpg

I.m lost... for the true reason behind the 5 yr vow renewal. What deep dark secret in Whitney's past am I missing ?? I thought she was estranged from her parents b/c social services stepped in... which I thought meant something was going on with her bio parent(s) - when she was a minor...

She said she made mistakes... Were both sets (bio and adoptive) parents at the vow renewal wedding ?

And she had to be legal age to be married to Zach, 5 yrs ago - just how did they miss the 1st wedding - they weren't invited ? In a small community (with a guest list close to a 1,000)  I find it hard that they didn't know...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 8

I find it interesting that the Bates girls are allowed to hold hands and hug full frontal with their “intended”. I’ll never forget when newly engaged Jessa and Ben went to dinner with their parents, and Jessa had the audacity to hold Ben’s hand while they were praying.  Michelle almost had a heart attack.  Different strokes, I guess.   

I thought Whitney looked beautiful.  Based on all the bawling, self-flagellation and talks of forgiveness, a little background info would be nice. 

When it comes to marrying off daughters, Mrs. Bates makes Mrs. Bennett from “Pride and Prejudice” look like a rookie.

• Love 16

Dear sweet Tori - worried if your unborn will have hair at 27 weeks....of all of the things to be concerned about... hair...

Is Josie the one who had all of her boyfriend/relationship milestones in October ? Other than weather (ie hills of TN can get chilly), I was trying to remember why the push to find an outdoor venue for the sole 4 Saturdays in October.

I guess I have gotten mean in my old age - I would have told people to bring a outdoor chair (or just rent chairs/benches), as to not be worried about where someone is going to sit outside. :)

Umm.. the backdrop --- I thought a benefit of getting married outdoors was so one didn't have to DIY props for a "view' that takes weeks to dry...I found a better looking one than was shown to the wedding organizer.

rustic-floral-wedding-wreath-idea.jpg.333df2c2147dec61c4e803452109db95.jpg

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I find it interesting that the Bates girls are allowed to hold hands and hug full frontal with their “intended”. I’ll never forget when newly engaged Jessa and Ben went to dinner with their parents, and Jessa had the audacity to hold Ben’s hand while they were praying.  Michelle almost had a heart attack.  Different strokes, I guess.   

I thought Whitney looked beautiful.  Based on all the bawling, self-flagellation and talks of forgiveness, a little background info would be nice. 

When it comes to marrying off daughters, Mrs. Bates makes Mrs. Bennett from “Pride and Prejudice” look like a rookie.

Yes, background information would be nice. It would helped when Whitney was going on and on about forgiveness and blaming herself to know what exactly happen. Plus with everyone else going on and on about forgiveness. Without knowing its hard to know what to think. By the end I wasn't sure if Whitney needed a vow renewal or a therapist.  

• Love 21

The Bates young women are simply stunning.  I couldn't believe how grown up Katie looked.  I'm glad they put names on the TH as it's getting harder and harder for me to tell them apart now with everybody lightening their hair, getting older and looking so much like their parents.  The males all favor each other, but the females "look" like each other - LOL.

Edited by Evagirl
typo
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Yes, background information would be nice. It would helped when Whitney was going on and on about forgiveness and blaming herself to know what exactly happen. Plus with everyone else going on and on about forgiveness. Without knowing its hard to know what to think. By the end I wasn't sure if Whitney needed a vow renewal or a therapist.  

5c2f76521c842_rofl-lmafopix.jpg.2c26b83b2f1d4f4c4b5783ec967fa81f.jpg

Question is... did the renewal cure ,correct, or fix whatever the real issue was , or still is?

Just because moms &pops missed the 1st wedding 5 yrs ago ( and to be honest I am going to say that is their fault until more facts surface), did seeing a wedding now fix everything ? 

It's like watching the superbowl 2014 3 weeks from now, when superbowl 2019 is happening b/c you didn't get tickets (or too lazy/cheap/mad at the teams in it) - you already know the outcome...

focus on the current - not the past.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 17

I just finished watching and whoa, what is the deal between Whitney and her parents? Was she some sort of juvenile delinquent? Or did she make a false claim of abuse? The way she was talking about mistakes and hurting her family, I was kind of confused. Or in typical Fundie female fashion, was she taking the blame for not forgiving and reconnecting with them sooner?

My understanding is she was formally adopted by another couple, so that means the bio parents' rights were terminated, correct? For her case to get to that point, whatever was going on had to be pretty serious. I agree she needs a therapist more than a Princess do-over wedding. 

Alyssa looked really cranky in that brief glimpse we saw of her walking with Allie. 

Callie is such an adorable little spitfire. I could listen to her all day.

Trace is turning out to be a really good-looking guy. 

Lawson quite possibly has the worst voice I've ever heard.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 15

Alyssa looked like I would have been having to haul 3 kids up from Florida to see your brother get married AGAIN.  I've been married for 15 years, is it popular now to have 5 year vow renewals??  Did they need tv material this season?  And no real explanation?  Just seems kind of selfish to make people pay for bridesmaid dresses, gas, etc. to come. 

• Love 10

I like Alyssa but I get the feeling she is one who does not keep sweet, unless it's genuine. 

Poor Bobby. Tori's  and Bobby's personalities aren't well suited. She's got no filter and Bobby is a polite and thoughtful guy. 

• Love 10

I felt sorry for Alyssa... She is traveling with 3 kiddos in tow to vow renewals when the family is in the mix of 1st weddings (and I think she has been in a couple)  . If this is going to be a trend, that is exhausting. not to mention expensive .Orlando {that's where she is right?} to Knoxville, TN, commercial round-trip airfare - wow...

I know its important to be at family functions but if you live away from the event, and have small children, sometimes a decision needs to be made, for one's own health and piece of mind. now that she has set a precedent, Gil/Kelly just might expect here to be there all of the time.

Did Michela say anything ? Brandon had a role by "securing" colored sand...

• Love 5

I'm assuming UP paid for her airfare, but Alyssa may have underestimated the level of stress involved in traveling with three babies. Just the paranoia alone of hoping one of the three doesn't have a meltdown on the plane would have me saying "Thanks, but no thanks."

It's funny how the Bateseses kept stressing that the event was all about "letting go," but given how emotional Whitney was, I think whatever happened is still very much a sore spot for her.

That's also unfortunate they announced the pregnancy at the reception, given that Whitney eventually miscarried. 

Carlin is the most Debbie Desperado I've ever seen in my life. What is it with these girls and their obsession with dragging their men to the altar? Wouldn't you rather take the time to get to know someone and make sure it's right? Two years is perfectly reasonable, it's not like Evan's been stringing her along for a decade. 

I'm starting to worry for Chad. Erin's obsession with babies is creeping into Michelle Duggar territory. 

• Love 11

Was it just me or did Whitney’s mom not seem to be all that enthused about their little family reunion? I’m wondering if maybe Whitney and her mom had never stopped communicating, and it was only her dad that she cut off. Also, what about her siblings? Is that who the non-Bates bridesmaids were? Do they have a relationship with their bio parents? Were they taken in by the same family as Whitney? I have so many questions. Something just seems off about all of this. I do like Whitney (aside from her beliefs) and I’m happy for her, but it looks like she is still full of guilt and sorrow. I hope she can eventually find peace.

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, FaithfullyYours said:

Was it just me or did Whitney’s mom not seem to be all that enthused about their little family reunion? I’m wondering if maybe Whitney and her mom had never stopped communicating, and it was only her dad that she cut off. Also, what about her siblings? Is that who the non-Bates bridesmaids were? Do they have a relationship with their bio parents? Were they taken in by the same family as Whitney? I have so many questions. Something just seems off about all of this. I do like Whitney (aside from her beliefs) and I’m happy for her, but it looks like she is still full of guilt and sorrow. I hope she can eventually find peace.

I agree with what you said, and I really hope it isn't the Gothard teachings that are leaving Whitney wracked with guilt. Reuniting with her biological parents wasn't even on the radar until Kelly pushed her into it.

I also agree that the mother's affect was strange. She seemed pretty disconnected from the whole thing, while everyone else was a weepy mess. I wonder if there's an element of blame towards Whitney for whatever went down. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10

BitterApple:  My thoughts exactly. I watched this episode today, when I was completely awake. What the heck is up with Whitney? It has been reported for a few years now that it was HE PARENTS who ABUSED HER. As a result, her bio parents lost custody of Whitney and she was lucky enough to be actually adopted by another couple. Has this been reported wrong? Are Whit's parents innocent of these accusations and Whitney made up the whole abuse allegations herself? From Whit's teary-eyed, sorrow filled display on this episode, I had to wonder.

I also agree that before any 5 year marriage vow renewal, this young lady needs good, qualified therapy. If anyone knows the truth about what went down (accusations and guilt/innocence) please set the record straight here as to what it is that Whitney is so guilty about. No need for specifics, I respect their privacy (but they themselves put this out). Are the abusive charges against Whit's bio parents true or not? 

These Bates girls; ALL OF THEM, are desperate for an engagement ring and a wedding. They come across as pathetic IMO. The reason, KELLY, that it seems like there is no time between engagement and wedding IS BECAUSE THERE IS NO TIME in between the two. Your daughters are salivating and panting to simply kiss the guy, that's why they can't have a normally timed, yes, even chaste, courtship. No need to have sex before marriage to accomplish this. Their whole system is screwed up.

I love how it was Gil who stated when at dinner with Evan, that if HE didn't think Evan was 'the one' for Carlin, they would NOT have gone this far in their relationship. It's telling just how much authority and power the fathers have over their daughters. It's just not healthy.

I'm so tired of hearing Erin crow on about 'babies'. Yes, I agree that she may be the one who gives Michelle Duggar a run for her money in the baby-making derby. What the heck is wrong with Chad? He must have a pair of balls under his pants because he has 3 children. I also love how Erin says  it would be 'up to Chad'....I thought it was up to the Lord?  Chad, utilize those balls of yours for something else than baby making and tell Erin when enough is enough. It's not Erin that gets up every morning strutting out to work, it's you, babe. Man up.

• Love 10
18 hours ago, Adeejay said:

For their faults, Gil and Kelly do seem to allow their sons and daughters to have some role in their decisions about dating (courting) and marriage. Not freedom, mind you. But in the first season on UP, Michael said something about hugging Brandon but that they would reserve hand holding until after engagement. That seemed strange to me because hugging is far more intimate. However, Tori, Carlin, and Josie get or were very touchy feely during courtship. 

I guess it's just for the cameras, but I have to laugh at Erin trying to sound like the wise old sage to her sisters. Girl, you married a guy you barely knew. You two still interact like you barely know each other despite having three kids. I'm thinking that I would go to someone else for advice on relationships.

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I agree with what you said, and I really hope it isn't the Gothard teachings that are leaving Whitney wracked with guilt. Reuniting with her biological parents wasn't even on the radar until Kelly pushed her into it.

I also agree that the mother's affect was strange. She seemed pretty disconnected from the whole thing, while everyone else was a weepy mess. I wonder if there's an element of blame towards Whitney for whatever went down. 

Whatever happened, I know that the family that adopted (legally?) Whitney as a teenager adopted several children. Within that family, she's said to have 11 siblings (most adopted). And while the truth might be that she was difficult or even delinquent in some way in her youth, her parents were the adults in the situation and would shoulder at least some of that burden. I hated to see Whitney basically cast herself as the villain in the situation, as whatever she said and did that led to her life away from her parents at a young age was done before she was completely mature. One has to wonder if whatever happened shaded Kelly Jo's vision of her, as there were a lot of rumors early in that relationship that Kelly Jo wasn't very pleased with her son's choice in a wife. And if on screen actions are to be believed, Whitney still acts like she is trying to impress her mother in law and the rest of Zach's family at times. She is closer with the girls in the middle than say Michael or Erin. 

I guess it is the writer in me, but I would want to set the record straight if I was Whitney. Even if it was just a social media post explaining it (not in great detail). She should say something rather than letting the rumors circulate. 

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, floridamom said:

BitterApple:  My thoughts exactly. I watched this episode today, when I was completely awake. What the heck is up with Whitney? It has been reported for a few years now that it was HE PARENTS who ABUSED HER. As a result, her bio parents lost custody of Whitney and she was lucky enough to be actually adopted by another couple. Has this been reported wrong? Are Whit's parents innocent of these accusations and Whitney made up the whole abuse allegations herself? From Whit's teary-eyed, sorrow filled display on this episode, I had to wonder.

I also agree that before any 5 year marriage vow renewal, this young lady needs good, qualified therapy. If anyone knows the truth about what went down (accusations and guilt/innocence) please set the record straight here as to what it is that Whitney is so guilty about. No need for specifics, I respect their privacy (but they themselves put this out). Are the abusive charges against Whit's bio parents true or not? 

The story is all rumors at this point. Originally it was rumored that Whitney's parents were killed in a car accident. Whitney never confirmed or denied this until it became known that she was talking to them again at Kelly Jo's urging. Then it was the rumors about abuse and the state terminating their parental rights. Again no denials or confirmation of this. There is a blurry line between private lives and reality television, but there are too many holes in this story. No need for details, but there has to be a way to address the elephant in the room without leaving viewers to speculate. They also haven't really addressed what is going on with her adoptive parents. Are they upset with her for reaching out to her bio parents? Were they invited to the renewal? Will Whitney have another renewal in 5 years when she splits with her parents again so that her adoptive parents can have an opportunity for a renewal too? Was that part of the reason she wants another baby so her parents can be in the delivery room since he adoptive parents were with Bradley?

Her behavior wasn't just the tears. It was the way she barely looked at them as she made these tearful pleas for forgiveness. There was just something very off about the whole thing. Her mother seemed stilted (camera shy maybe?) and her father seemed awkward. Like most IBLP the Bateses thrive and focus on that rule about respecting your parents. I wonder if some of the blubbering and guilt was directed toward Kelly Jo and the children to show that she is like them and does respect her parents no matter what...

I'm so tired of hearing Erin crow on about 'babies'. Yes, I agree that she may be the one who gives Michelle Duggar a run for her money in the baby-making derby. What the heck is wrong with Chad? He must have a pair of balls under his pants because he has 3 children. I also love how Erin says  it would be 'up to Chad'....I thought it was up to the Lord?  Chad, utilize those balls of yours for something else than baby making and tell Erin when enough is enough. It's not Erin that gets up every morning strutting out to work, it's you, babe. Man up.

Seriously, chick is on my last nerve. For a girl who was so uninvolved with her siblings while at home (at least on camera), she's all about the baby making. I kind of hope that Michael hauls off and slaps her one of these days.

• Love 9

Whitney's bio parents were present at Bradley's birth. Kelly obviously got on Whitney early in the marriage to make up/peace with her bio parents, shunning her adoptive parents in the process. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

Seriously, chick is on my last nerve. For a girl who was so uninvolved with her siblings while at home (at least on camera), she's all about the baby making. I kind of hope that Michael hauls off and slaps her one of these days.

And the worst part about it is she's whining about baby fever while she's holding an infant in her freaking arms. That's why she's reminding me so much of Michelle. They don't even take time to appreciate and enjoy the blessing they have before they're furiously on to the next one. Erin is a beautiful girl with beautiful kids, a cute house and a husband who (seemingly) adores her. What kind of void is she trying to fill with all these babies?

2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Whitney's bio parents were present at Bradley's birth. Kelly obviously got on Whitney early in the marriage to make up/peace with her bio parents, shunning her adoptive parents in the process. 

Bradley was conceived in their first year of marriage, correct? So the reunion wasn't too distant from the first wedding. That's a pretty quick turnaround from the adoptive parents walking Whitney down the aisle to being ghosted in favor of the bios. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

These Bates girls; ALL OF THEM, are desperate for an engagement ring and a wedding. They come across as pathetic IMO. The reason, KELLY, that it seems like there is no time between engagement and wedding IS BECAUSE THERE IS NO TIME in between the two. Your daughters are salivating and panting to simply kiss the guy, that's why they can't have a normally timed, yes, even chaste, courtship. No need to have sex before marriage to accomplish this. Their whole system is screwed up.

I love how it was Gil who stated when at dinner with Evan, that if HE didn't think Evan was 'the one' for Carlin, they would NOT have gone this far in their relationship. It's telling just how much authority and power the fathers have over their daughters. It's just not healthy.

Chad = The Lord ... same difference in Erin's mind... what happened her health issue, requiring the need to give daily shots to keep the pregnancy? Is it in remission ? I think these women secretly experience one hell of a birthgasm , which makes them want to keep having natural births.

If Whit made up the accusations - wouldn't social services been able to sniff that out ? I do give DFACS credit for finding a foster-adoptive home, which appears to be in the same area, for a teenager, while she still was a teen. I guess I've been in a big city too long, as most teens are not so lucky. They get caught in the "system" until of age (16-18).

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

You are right. I was thinking that was her adoptive parents. Kelly jo has two sisters her mom adopted. Wonder how she reconciles that with how she had worst encouraged or best witnessed Whitney handle this. 

1 hour ago, sATL said:

Chad = The Lord ... same difference in Erin's mind... what happened her health issue, requiring the need to give daily shots to keep the pregnancy? Is it in remission ?

If Whit made up the accusations - wouldn't social services be able to sniff that out ? I do give DFACS credit for finding a foster-adoptive home, which appears to be in the same area, for a teenager, while she still was a teen. I guess I've been in a big city too long, as most teens are not so lucky. They get caught in the "system" until of age (16-18).

That is assuming it was a DFACS case. One of the versions circulating is that Whitney was friends with the adoptive parents child who died in a car accident. That would indicate a private resolution rather than involvement of authorities. Most teens who alleges abuse are sent to group homes first and then maybe foster care. It is rarely seen that they go to a family friend. I worked during college in those group homes in the southeast. Not pretty. Just speculation, but it sounds like perhaps Whitney made an allegation and the parents of her friend stepped in to offer to raise her. Given that they were raising/adopting so many kids in a short period, I'm guessing it was done privately rather than through the court system. 

I had a neighbor who would foster children of prisoners. She and her husband were horrible people and neglected the 15 they had in the house. We found out they started their own nonprofit and worked with a church to get parents facing incarceration to sign over their kids rather than risk them to DFACS. It was all a money scheme. They got government money and were always grifting on the news for new vehicles, house repairs, etc.  

As for Erin, that blood clotting disorder doesn't go away. Heprin is treatment not a cure. But it falls in line with Duggar/Bates mentality that it is God's will and to die creating God's army is more nobel than a healthy life with no kids or a small family. 

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, RebeccatheWriter said:

I had a neighbor who would foster children of prisoners. She and her husband were horrible people and neglected the 15 they had in the house. We found out they started their own nonprofit and worked with a church to get parents facing incarceration to sign over their kids rather than risk them to DFACS. It was all a money scheme. They got government money and were always grifting on the news for new vehicles, house repairs, etc.  

Wow, that's like the foster parents who grifted a house from Extreme Home Makeover and then promptly dumped the kids back on the State once the reno was complete.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I am assuming this was an auto-correct mistake for Heparin, but it cracked me up :)

Oh, don't worry...Fundies would use heroin it if it meant having another blessing.

Erin and her stupid "Baby Fever".....don't forget.....Anna and Jessa live with it every day. Mullet still has it in her delusional mind.

Menopause has not been kind to Kelly Jo.

Whitney was carrying on like she murdered someone and got away with it. I think she just wanted to wear a sexier dress on TV.

((Never saw this show before....my new cable carrier has it ...has it been on long? It's boring but not as bad as the Duggs, which I no longer watch. All the Bates kids are very, very camera-friendly.))

• Love 6

Without having any context as to why doing a vow renewal at five years was so important, I found the ceremony completely unmoving. It felt self indulgent and unnecessary.  You already had your wedding day, and there’s no true do over. Stop pretending. And get off my lawn!

• Love 17

Color me shocked at the sisters' seemingly authentic proclamations that Tori will be a fantastic mother. I just don't see it. She's so freakin immature. Hair? Hair is seriously her concern? I know Jessa Duggar surprised a lot of us with her motherly skills, but she wasn't a hot mess like Tori. 

I don't understand vow renewals. Til death do us part doesn't leave room for interpretation or expiration. But whatever. As long as I don't have to attend or purchase a gift, I don't care. I was uncomfortable watching this one. I sure hope Whit gets some professional help for whatever happened in the past. Of course I know the most professional help she'll ever see will be in the form of a pastor. :/

• Love 10

Am I remembering correctly? She had bridesmaids again? I hope TLC paid for the dresses. I hope they paid for all of it, cause if not, what a waste of money for a young family. 

So, I don't get it. Where are the adoptive parents and siblings? I needed clarification. Is the Conway Twitty looking guy her bio dad?

snark: Whitney is a very pretty lady, and seems sweet, albeit she needs help for her issue, but I bet Zach thanks God every day that he didn't marry Sarah Reith.  

• Love 6

I came on here to find out what is the Whitney backstory, but seems like everyone is as perplexed as I am.  I don't like how they didn't explain what had happened with the parents.

The crying throughout the entire episode.  I then figured she was experiencing pregnancy hormones and that was why she was so weepy.  She later miscarried?  That's too bad.

• Love 2

After watching this episode and Whitney's display of emotion here, I think that Zach is living with an emotional powder keg in his wife. One day, it will really hit the fan. Where were her adoptive parents? Is she the kind of person who is drops one group of people for another and dives in? I don't think it was right of her to not include her adoptives. She didn't even mention those people. She really should have addressed the question, that she invited them and they declined to attend this ceremony as perhaps they wanted this to be for her bio parents...but Whit not mentioning this subject only leads to more questions. Not a good PR move here.

• Love 7

Regarding the adoptive parents, I wonder if they're those Christian child-hoarder types. Adoption for them may be more about virtue-signaling than a genuine desire to help troubled kids. If that's true, then that might explain why Whitney doesn't seem to have much affinity for them.

• Love 2

I don’t know that I can keep up with show much longer. There is so much “it’s so special to live close and have times where we can just get together and enjoy each other” with saccharine smiles that I feel like I watch the same episode every time. It’s off putting to me this season that it hasn’t been in the past.  It feels like they are projecting perfection hard.  A level of “thou doth protest too much”  

Also- I find all the fiancées/boyfriends tp be damn near interchangeable.  I live in TN and am not surrounded by toothy kind of weird acting people. Carlin’s intended looks like he could be the hairdressers intended  brother. 

The outlier is Tori’s husband who looks and acts- normal. Poor guy. He was a damn adorable baby and she’s concerned about the head of hair. You could tell that stung a bit and he handled like a champ which made me sad. 

Whitney and her hysterics of forgiveness and shame and tears is beyond weird. I think we’re dealing with people who have either had major things happen- or minor- can’t tell but somehow she’s to apologize. It doesn’t sit right with me and seems off.

As an aside, we grew up with a few  families who had four kids and were actually wealthy but it was a known you get water at meals. Ever noticed these cats always have teas and sodas?  It’s not really a big deal at all but I mention it bc I always think of it. I know production likely pays or comped, but I still see parents going “sweet tea” knowing it’s not on their dime. 

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 5

Tori, Bobby may have been bald when he was born, but it looks like he has a nice head of hair now.  Be thankful your baby had a head like Bobby said.

Not sure about Whitney.  I always liked her but the way she was acting with her parents and her the vow renewal, I just feel like there is something else going on.  It seems like it was all about her dad, but not much was said about her mom.  During the talking heads it felt like were dancing around the real story and I wish they would just not say anything at all. When Whitney mentioned something about wanting a classic dress, I thought to myself, you wanted a sexier dress, just admit it.  But if I had shoulders and arms like that, yeah, I would want the same type of dress.  I was a little surprised that they kept the part in about the baby since we know now that she had a miscarriage. 

Chad is looking way to old.  He needs to put his foot down and tell Erin that three kids are enough. 

Alyssa did look like she didn't want to be there.  I wonder how many trips there have been to TN lately for she show. 

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Lisa418722 said:

Alyssa did look like she didn't want to be there.  I wonder how many trips there have been to TN lately for she show. 

out of 18 siblings - someone is bound to not agree with the "organizer" or even  with the majority. This all-for-one concept of the Bates I find a little un-real. We all have been to family functions (weddings, births, funerals, christenings, graduations, etc) where somebody is absent - for understandable and not-so-understandable reasons.

Alyssa probably wasn't too for the idea b/c of the travel with 3 little ones and I think with the timing, she has been in a few weddings in 2018 already. Wasn't her youngest born in 2018?  Kelly demands the kids give up Valentines for the family and who knows what all else. So, Alyssa attends, but in protest - by looking grumpy and staying off camera as much as possible.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

Tori,Bobby may have been bald when he was born, but it looks like he has a nice head of hair now.  Be thankful your baby had a head like Bobby said.

Tori must have a lot of great qualities we don't see on camera because I can't understand Bobby's attraction to her. They seem like complete opposites. 

• Love 11

I saw no real NEED for Alyssa to be present at this renewal. After all, she was at their first, real wedding. This one was just for kicks and attention if you ask me. They are already married; no real milestone like 25 years or 50 to have a nice renewal. Indulgent if you ask me. She should have stayed home. How do they afford so much airfare? I know points gets you discounts on the charges, but do they fly that much to have 'free travel'? Also, Alyssa attending without wanting to be there tells me that this family is not as honest with each other as they claim to be.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Regarding the adoptive parents, I wonder if they're those Christian child-hoarder types. Adoption for them may be more about virtue-signaling than a genuine desire to help troubled kids. If that's true, then that might explain why Whitney doesn't seem to have much affinity for them.

If I have the timeline right, they seem to have started adopting after the death of their daughter. I do wonder if that was a psychological/emotional response to their loss. 

17 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I don’t know that I can keep up with show much longer. There is so much “it’s so special to live close and have times where we can just get together and enjoy each other” with saccharine smiles that I feel like I watch the same episode every time. It’s off putting to me this season that it hasn’t been in the past.  It feels like they are projecting perfection hard.  A level of “thou doth protest too much”  

*SNIP*

Whitney and her hysterics of forgiveness and shame and tears is beyond weird. I think we’re dealing with people who have either had major things happen- or minor- can’t tell but somehow she’s to apologize. It doesn’t sit right with me and seems off.

As for the special sister time, they are starting to border on those stilted conversations and back story comments that I hate about the Duggars. It was clear that the conversation at Zach and Whitney's was staged for television. That's fine, but it loses some of the genuine feeling that people like about the Bateses versus the Duggars. It would have made more sense to have a scene like that with the sisters talking before the ceremony (include Michael and Alyssa). Carlin always comes off so fake in those scenes and has from the very first episode. She hugs her siblings and tells them how proud she is of (insert this week's theme here). Then she jumps in to take selfies with said sibling.

As for Whitney, maybe I skipped over it, but did her parents ever really respond to her displays of histrionics? My mother would have slapped me and told me not to air our dirty laundry. But that's the way she is about such things. I think the awkwardness of it (aside from never explaining what she was asking forgiveness for in the first place) was that she seemed alone in her struggle there. Her father seemed a little emotional there when he was praying, but otherwise he and her mother seemed very stilted and not really a part of the drama. There didn't even seem to be a brush off remark like, "Whitney, it's in the past and we moved on...We have always loved you and are happy to be reconciled...We appreciate what you have done to make us part of your day..."

I felt sorry for those in attendance. Imagine being there and watching her sob. I'm sure the photographer was over it too.

12 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

Not sure about Whitney.  I always liked her but the way she was acting with her parents and her the vow renewal, I just feel like there is something else going on.  It seems like it was all about her dad, but not much was said about her mom.  During the talking heads it felt like were dancing around the real story and I wish they would just not say anything at all. When Whitney mentioned something about wanting a classic dress, I thought to myself, you wanted a sexier dress, just admit it.  But if I had shoulders and arms like that, yeah, I would want the same type of dress.  I was a little surprised that they kept the part in about the baby since we know now that she had a miscarriage. 

I was surprised too, but even more that they didn't immediately address it. If I was producing that episode, I might have included the announcement and then fade out to Zach and Whitney on the couch talking about the miscarriage or even a black screen explaining the situation. It just added to the awkward feeling since followers of the show had seen just a few weeks ago the social media video where Whitney and Zach say they miscarried. Now you have a bunch of stans congratulating them on the baby on social media. 

I do have empathy for those who suffer miscarriages. I have had four myself and wouldn't wish that on anyone. But I'm really not wanting a season 1 repeat of Erin. Every time they showed or referred to Erin that first season there was talk about her miscarriages. It's a fine line, but I don't want to hear it over and over again like she's no longer Whitney, but now Whitney who had a miscarriage and really wanted another baby. 

Edited by RebeccatheWriter
  • Love 3

Not surprised that they kept in the scene about Whitney expecting a baby. I'm sure the miscarriage will be the subject of another show. You know they got to keep the show going.  To these families weddings, babies now and then a miscarriage nothing else is worth showing. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, floridamom said:

I saw no real NEED for Alyssa to be present at this renewal. After all, she was at their first, real wedding. This one was just for kicks and attention if you ask me. They are already married; no real milestone like 25 years or 50 to have a nice renewal. Indulgent if you ask me. She should have stayed home. How do they afford so much airfare? I know points gets you discounts on the charges, but do they fly that much to have 'free travel'? Also, Alyssa attending without wanting to be there tells me that this family is not as honest with each other as they claim to be.

To be fair, we don't know if Alyssa wanted to be there or not. I believe Alyssa and Zach may bond over their seemingly fundie-lite status.

• Love 4
On 1/5/2019 at 6:45 AM, zenme said:

So, I don't get it. Where are the adoptive parents and siblings? I needed clarification. Is the Conway Twitty looking guy her bio dad?  

This Conway Twitty reference is everything to me. Now I have to watch the episode to look for the resemblance.  Points for making me LOL. Points!

• Love 1

Alyssa doesn't have a perpetual smile on her face like Kelly Jo, Erin and Tori. I'll bet production paid for the airfare for her and her kids. She seems pretty down to earth so I can't imagine that she would pay for the airfare just to show up for this shindig. 

• Love 1

I also think in order to earn money she's contractually obligated to make a certain number of appearances. Maybe she looks ahead at filming schedule and picks and chooses where she can get more bang for her buck. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Alyssa doesn't have a perpetual smile on her face like Kelly Jo, Erin and Tori. I'll bet production paid for the airfare for her and her kids. She seems pretty down to earth so I can't imagine that she would pay for the airfare just to show up for this shindig. 

It was just a brief view of her. Who knows? Maybe she was having a bad moment or day. I know I've probably walked into a family event looking ready to murder. She's made comments in the past that the noise and all of her family is now overwhelming (though not sure 3 daughters is any quieter), so if she had just arrived when they shot that, she might have been readying herself for it all. Were Tori and Bobby there? I wasn't 100% watching so I didn't count the kids or anything. 

• Love 2

If Whitney wanted the subject of bio/adoptive parents to be a personal private matter, she should NOT have had this event filmed. Accepting the cameras here invited all sorts of questions about what the heck went down those years ago. She now needs to address things and set the factual record straight. ….but then if it weren't filmed, she and Zack would have had to pay for this needless event of self-indulgence.  Can't have it both ways, Whit.

Somewhere someone recently posted that Whitney got 'new teeth'? I noticed that they are VERY white and VERY big when she smiles. It also looked like she applied Vaseline to them as they had that beauty pageant 'shine' to them. Were here teeth different in the past? I also noticed that she DID SOMETHING recently that she doesn't look much like she did before. More than a diet going on here. JMHO

• Love 5
On 1/5/2019 at 3:31 PM, KnoxForPres said:

As an aside, we grew up with a few  families who had four kids and were actually wealthy but it was a known you get water at meals. Ever noticed these cats always have teas and sodas?  It’s not really a big deal at all but I mention it bc I always think of it. I know production likely pays or comped, but I still see parents going “sweet tea” knowing it’s not on their dime. 

They live in the south and people drink sweet tea in the south.  Making tea is not expensive.  That is what we drank at lunch and dinner and milk for breakfast.

Edited by iluvobx
spelling
  • Love 2