Type keyword(s) to search

Batwoman in the Media: Send the Bat Signal

• Start Topic

My time heavily reading DC and Helena Wayne's time as a key character have almost no overlap, so even if Ryan is Helena and not a total random it's a pretty poor compensation for disrupting the major storylines and character relationships for me.

• Love 3

If they want to introduce a new character as Batwoman I guess Bruce Wayne's daughter makes the most sense, but as others have said she wouldn't have the same relationship with the rest of the cast.

If they don't want a new actress to play Kate the only other option would be to have one of the existing characters become Batwoman. In that case Julia would probably make the most sense. She already has a relationship with several of the other characters and she has the necessary skills. And the character covers the LGBTQ requirement, although I'm not familiar enough with the actress to know if she also covers that requirement in real life.

It could be interesting, a sort of self made Batwoman although it would mean losing the relationships between the characters we have learned to love. I remember reading a very clever fanfic where Thomas Wayne was just an ambulance driver, the Manor is just the apartment block the Waynes live in, Alfred is the caretaker and Gordon the local beat cop. After his parent's death Bruce takes every martial arts course going, joins the army as soon as they'll have him and returns to Gotham as a captain in the Delta Force, funding the cut price Batcave he establishes in the abandoned car park beneath the manor by ripping off the drug dealers he captures. Something like that would be great. 

20 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Normally showrunners/writers have to map out their season plans to the network, but I'm pretty sure the Arrowverse shows need to get input from the people at DC to be allowed to use character names and likeness, especially the top tier ones like Batman and Superman.  

Marc Guggenheim, Greg Berlanti and David Ramsey have all mentioned the "yeah, we have to get final approval from DC on this" in multiple interviews. And in some cases, most notably with Ted Kord/Blue Beetle on Arrow, not getting said approval. 

15 hours ago, quarks said:

Marc Guggenheim, Greg Berlanti and David Ramsey have all mentioned the "yeah, we have to get final approval from DC on this" in multiple interviews. And in some cases, most notably with Ted Kord/Blue Beetle on Arrow, not getting said approval. 

That explains all the fantastic uses I've seen of Ted Kord in other media since DC told them no.   - sarcasm mode engaged-

• LOL 2
17 minutes ago, Delphi said:

That explains all the fantastic uses I've seen of Ted Kord in other media since DC told them no.   - sarcasm mode engaged-

I don't know if this happened with Ted Kord specifically, but in other cases I do know that some TV broadcast or streaming rights had already been optioned/sold to studios who then just....did nothing with them. 

• Useful 1
(edited)

There have been various attempts to do something with Blue Beetle in the last few years either with Ted Kord or Jaime Reyes which I guess is why he was off the table. And hasn't he been in some animated movies? Also allegedly he was "too big a character" for an Arrowverse spin off at that point. Which never made any sense.

Things do seem to have changed since then though. I assume she will be someone known at least in name, if not in anything recognisable about the character to attempt to pacify fans ala Dinah Drake vs "Sara" Lance who cannot possibly ever be BC even though her middle name could easily have been Dinah. 

Apart from Helena Wayne are their any other possible candidates?

Edited by Featherhat
On 6/5/2020 at 1:37 PM, Featherhat said:

There have been various attempts to do something with Blue Beetle in the last few years either with Ted Kord or Jaime Reyes which I guess is why he was off the table. And hasn't he been in some animated movies? Also allegedly he was "too big a character" for an Arrowverse spin off at that point. Which never made any sense.

Well, back in seasons 1 and 2 of Arrow, the general idea/hope was that Berlanti would be able to bring as much attention to other minor DC superheroes as he had to Green Arrow, and as the MCU films were doing for various Marvel Comics characters. That was one reason for bringing in Vibe - then a very minor DC superhero - at the start of Flash. 

“To be honest with you, I did consider the ‘soap opera version’ [of recasting] for a hot minute, because selfishly we already had a couple episodes written, and transition-wise it would be seamless,” she told Plec. “But upon further reflection — and I think [Arrowverse EP] Greg [Berlanti] helped me make this call — he’s like, ‘I think we should just reboot Batwoman as a different character.'”

In addition to paying “respect to everything that Ruby [Rose] put into the Kate Kane character” during Season 1, Dries said, “it also helps the audience, because we’re not asking them to address ‘the elephant in the room'” by accepting a new face as the same person.

https://tvline.com/2020/06/06/why-batwoman-isnt-recasting-kate-kane-adding-new-character-season-2/?fbclid=IwAR1Om2QlKBC5X_DND7vk5kMELwnCovOtJne3l9xfSiEztVusVdo-1gXc4WM

Stupid reasoning....and of course it came from Berlanti.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

... But then there will be "the elephant in the room" of the show randomly chucking the lead character with no build up.

I'm not really here for a reboot and another origin story with another character who doesn't sound as compelling; not to mention not connected to the rest of the supporting cast.

Also, I imagine that for Batwoman/Kate Kane fans it's a tiny bit insulting that they think they can just switch out one Batwoman with another, when Kate's story is fairly specific. (I wonder how DC feels about all this?) It's not like she's a character like Robin, The Flash, or Green Lantern where it's canon that there are can be multiple versions existing at the same time.

I'll have to go back to a few other boards/comment sections I read for specific names, but mostly it's been other versions of Batgirl or Robin, or Elseworlds-type versions of Batwoman.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

that for Batwoman/Kate Kane fans it's a tiny bit insulting that they think they can just switch out one Batwoman with another, when Kate's story is fairly specific. (I wonder how DC feels about all this?) It's not like she's a character like Robin, The Flash, or Green Lantern where it's canon that there are can be multiple versions existing at the same time.

I'll have to go back to a few other boards/comment sections I read for specific names, but mostly it's been other versions of Batgirl or Robin, or Elseworlds-type versions of Batwoman.

DC/WB are the ones who would have to sign off on it so they must support it. 

There are Elseworlds versions of Batwoman, Carrie Kelly became Batwoman in one. 

• Love 1

I am really unhappy that they're jettisoning the entire storyline to bring in some new character instead of just recasting. I think it's a huge mistake, it's insulting, and I can't imagine why they think it's a good idea. I'm trying, but it just strikes me as utterly stupid.

We don't need more entries into the Dead Lesbian archives. Superhero Dead Lesbian makes it even worse.

Or are they going to have her leave town, not die? Unless that means re-casting and bringing Kate back halfway through the season???

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, possibilities said:

We don't need more entries into the Dead Lesbian archives. Superhero Dead Lesbian makes it even worse.

Or are they going to have her leave town, not die? Unless that means re-casting and bringing Kate back halfway through the season???

I hope they don't kill her off; but Kate suddenly leaving and never coming back also makes little sense.

If they not recasting Kate now - if only to tie up season 1 storylines and ease the transition to the new lead - I doubt they're doing it later. But who even knows??

DC would have had to sign off on this, they can't do anything without approval so they're OK, and possibly offering them another character to take over. I can actually see the CW having more reservation but they must have also signed off on it. 

There is no way to go about this that would be ideal or get everyone on board but I do think a recast of Kate, not just Batwoman would have been the better solution soap opera-y or not. So many of the plots are soapy. Not just from the storylines they have already set up but for their supporting cast and actors, many of whom are now potentially surplus to requirements if a new character brings in her own nemesis, family, potential girlfriend etc. The only one who's easy to transfer over is Luke.

A part of me thinks they'll want to avoid the Dead Lesbian Trope like the plague because they've been there before and they've lampshaded other tropes via Parker's character. And the storm would be huge especially after so much bragging about the show. However I do think the easiest way for the supporting cast to stick around would be via avenging Kate's death and honour her and then boom, they've all bonded with nu!Batwoman. 

And they'll say it's actually honouring Kate's character by killing her off instead of leaving town because Kate would never abandon Gotham like that. Especially as they almost certainly wouldn't have RR on screen to explain why. And they'll point to Oliver Queen as an example of a straight white lead character they also killed off, even though it was the end of his show.

And hey, look, it's Real!Batman come to visit. 

• Love 1
(edited)

You can watch the short, one-on-one chat between Caroline Dries and Julie Plec (which was reported on in the above TVLine article) here - starting at around the 7:38:50 mark...

(ATX Festival)

ETA: It looks like ATX Festival has removed the day-long video recordings. They will probably post videos of individual panels later.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I hate this news so much! Look, I would not be sad at all if Jacob and the crows were written off the show and I certainly would not mind if Alice was just one among many awesome villains but the idea that we will probably also lose Mary just SUCKS! She's the very best thing about this show! Dear lord, there was no reason at all for this stupid "reboot". Good luck show, you're gonna need it after this bullshit.

Edited by diebartdie
spelling
  • Love 2

I don't think they are showing enough respect for their audience's intelligence. Or for the supporting cast who are actually sticking around. A reboot of the Batwoman character increases the likelihood that one of them will become irrelevant.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Oreo2234 said:

I don't think they are showing enough respect for their audience's intelligence.

I think Berlanti and co is banking on that this move would attract more viewers or something, like: "Oh, gee, I wonder what [will happen to KK/Batwoman] and how this new char will come to fruition". But, in reality, it will simply alienate, which is already happening (judging by the comments on the Internet as a whole). I, for one, gonna watch the first or firsts episodes to see how they fucked-up/did not fucked-up, but I really doubt that I'll continue watching past that point.

Edited by Rushmoras
(edited)

There are Elseworlds versions of Batwoman, Carrie Kelly became Batwoman in one. 

I've also seen these names mentioned: Harper Row, Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, or Holly Robinson.

[ETA:] And even if it's 'in name only' it's definitely going to be a comics character.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
(edited)

Holly would cover the lgbt part.  But honestly,  these characters have their own destinies that I'd like to see that don't include being batwoman.   I loooove Steph,  but I'm not sure even she could get me to watch season 2.  Would've been super into her being introduced (like she was rumored to be last year) as Spoiler or Batgirl but not taking over Kate Kane. 

If they retooled the very concept of the show,  into Batgirl/ Gotham Central/ Streets of Gotham,  I may have been in... but their not.   I wish the remaining cast (Love you,  Rachel) and crew the best,  but I'm so out and so depressed over that. 

Edited by Delphi
(edited)
3 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Is it definitely confirmed that they're going to kill Kate? 

No, nothing about Kate's exit has been confirmed or even strongly rumoured. People are speculating killing Kate is the way they'll go because

a) it draws a line under Kate and Ruby which is what CD said GB advocated and there won't be any "Kate would definitely not ignore this injustice/threat".

b) it's easiest to film - have someone in a Batsuit get killed in a huge fight.

c) It gives the supporting cast, including Alice a reason to stick around and avenge/honour Kate.

d) It gives nu!Batwoman who admired her a reason to put on the suit when it seems she's otherwise not really the type at all.

They could do a voice over with Kate leaving everything behind for some reason but it's harder to do, especially with "Bruce's" arrival and Alice still causing chaos. Unless they have "Batwoman" kill Alice in the first ep back and leave in guilt and pain. 

9 hours ago, Trini said:

[ETA:] And even if it's 'in name only' it's definitely going to be a comics character.

I think so too, but I've seen a lot of "CD confirmed she's made up an original, non comics character!" which isn't what she said at all. 

18 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

I think Berlanti and co is banking on that this move would attract more viewers or something, like: "Oh, gee, I wonder what [will happen to KK/Batwoman] and how this new char will come to fruition"

Maybe, there might be some curiosity but most viewers are now set. I think the only reason they might hope for a bigger audience is if they cast a big name but I can't think of an actor who is out, a big name and willing to live in Vancouver 6-7 months of the year run ragged for CW scale pay. I mean RR was that person and it obviously didn't work out. 

I think this will turn more people off than get or keep more viewers but internet fans are only a small % so we'll see. 

Edited by Featherhat

Right now, they seem to be in a trial balloon phase of leaking ideas to the media to get a sense of what fans' will accept, but part of me is hoping they are setting a big swerve, where Batwoman is killed in the first episode, a new character is brought in to take on the mantle, but then in episode three or four we see Alice taking care of someone with a bandaged face and it turns out she has rescued Kate and is giving her a new face for some weird reason.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/9/2020 at 5:14 PM, RobertDeSneero said:

Right now, they seem to be in a trial balloon phase of leaking ideas to the media to get a sense of what fans' will accept, but part of me is hoping they are setting a big swerve, where Batwoman is killed in the first episode, a new character is brought in to take on the mantle, but then in episode three or four we see Alice taking care of someone with a bandaged face and it turns out she has rescued Kate and is giving her a new face for some weird reason.

That would be an interesting way to do it; but I don't think I'd stick around before the reveal.

Edited by Trini
ugh - dropped word
  • Love 1

Well that's something and I'm glad to stand corrected and that she's probably not dying and simply being replaced by another lesbian.

However "where's Kate disappeared to?" as a core mystery sounds like it has a high chance of being awkward if she never reappears and they find out she's happy and fulfilled...somewhere else okay lets carry on with Ryan, as we get a shot of Kate from behind giving her blessing or something. 

Long game of wait and see I guess. 

If I was writing the show, I would have Kate disappear. Somebody dresses up like Batwoman to fight crime in her absence. She does such a good job that Luke and Mary think it might be the real Batwoman. Luke and Mary go to where the fake Batwoman is fighting and the Batwoman gets knocked out. Luke and Mary take the fake Batwoman back to the Batcave and give the fake Batwoman some gear to help her fight crime until the real Batwoman returns. Luke with the notes in his father's journals and Mary, owner of a weapons manufacturing company, create some amazing gadgets for the new Batwoman. I would introduce as many gadgets as I could get to make the show as exciting as possible. The new Batwoman seems to have a death wish willing to do anything to fight crime.

3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Kate disappearing instead of dying keeps the door open for a recast and keeps all the existing characters involved in the story. Good choice. 

I think this kind of closes the door to a recast. Unless the story ends with Kate taking the mantle again, it wouldn't make sense to recast her and not be Batwoman.

14 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Unless the story ends with Kate taking the mantle again, it wouldn't make sense to recast her and not be Batwoman.

That's what I was thinking. They use Kate's absence for season 2 to get viewers used to not seeing Ruby. The new Batwoman wears the cowl while the mystery is investigated but then, when Kate's rescued, she gives it back and stays on as a member of the team. Then we get to see Helena become Huntress, Stephanie become Spoiler, Cass become Orphan, etc.

We already had the mystery of where Bruce Wayne / Bataman disappeared to and now Kate?  Is there a warp bubble floating around trapping the people of Gotham? (say high to Dr. Crusher guys).   It just feels like they're giving Kate Bruce's role and transferring Kate's story to a new character.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

I think this kind of closes the door to a recast. Unless the story ends with Kate taking the mantle again, it wouldn't make sense to recast her and not be Batwoman.

It can be a bit of a hedge.  They can start out with a new character who steps in after Kate disappears.  If that works, Kate can stay gone.  If it doesn't, they can always bring back Kate as a recast character.

In comic books, it has become common to replace a character with a new version.  Everyone knows the classic character will eventually come back, but the success of the new character may determine how long they wait.  Examples from comics include when Batman's back was broken and when Thor became unworthy to wield Mjolnir.

Of course, in the genre, disappearing isn't necessarily better than dying, because characters come back from the dead all the time, but taking the character off the table in a way that allows her to come back, whether it is a mysterious disappearance or an apparent death.

I could come up with several ways to work around this issue, many of which would be copying things that have been done in comic books.  The problem is that every potential solution is going to piss off some segment of the fans.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, RobertDeSneero said:

It can be a bit of a hedge.  They can start out with a new character who steps in after Kate disappears.  If that works, Kate can stay gone.  If it doesn't, they can always bring back Kate as a recast character.

In comic books, it has become common to replace a character with a new version.  Everyone knows the classic character will eventually come back, but the success of the new character may determine how long they wait.  Examples from comics include when Batman's back was broken and when Thor became unworthy to wield Mjolnir.

Of course, in the genre, disappearing isn't necessarily better than dying, because characters come back from the dead all the time, but taking the character off the table in a way that allows her to come back, whether it is a mysterious disappearance or an apparent death.

I could come up with several ways to work around this issue, many of which would be copying things that have been done in comic books.  The problem is that every potential solution is going to piss off some segment of the fans.

What works in comics doesnt always work in tv....and replacing someone for a short while doesnt work. At least not in the sense of the main character who is the face of the show. They wont spend all this time building up Kates replacement, having her do all the promotion for the work only to re-replace her with Kate played by a new actress. Sure Dynasty gets away with it but its also an ensemble show.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

What works in comics doesnt always work in tv....and replacing someone for a short while doesnt work. At least not in the sense of the main character who is the face of the show. They wont spend all this time building up Kates replacement, having her do all the promotion for the work only to re-replace her with Kate played by a new actress. Sure Dynasty gets away with it but its also an ensemble show.

This is a mostly unprecedented situation, where the person portraying the lead character needs replacing.  The Doctor Who solution can't be used here.  The options feel somewhat constrained by insisting on casting an out actress and making LGBT issues a core part of the series.  I think that is a commendable goal, but I acknowledge that it makes it harder.

There's no clear, obvious solution that will work.  People invested in Kate Kane as a character won't be happy if they bring in a new character.  People invested in Ruby Rose as an actress won't be happy with recasting Kate Kane.  People invested in the genre won't be happy with anything that has poor continuity.

Whatever option they decide, the show is going to have to take a risk.  I could probably come up with a dozen different options that allow for telling a good story, but might not work.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, RobertDeSneero said:

This is a mostly unprecedented situation, where the person portraying the lead character needs replacing.  The Doctor Who solution can't be used here.  The options feel somewhat constrained by insisting on casting an out actress and making LGBT issues a core part of the series.  I think that is a commendable goal, but I acknowledge that it makes it harder.

There's no clear, obvious solution that will work.  People invested in Kate Kane as a character won't be happy if they bring in a new character.  People invested in Ruby Rose as an actress won't be happy with recasting Kate Kane.  People invested in the genre won't be happy with anything that has poor continuity.

Whatever option they decide, the show is going to have to take a risk.  I could probably come up with a dozen different options that allow for telling a good story, but might not work.

The people who are primarily watching the show for Ruby are probably not going to stick around whether they recast Kate or replace her with a new character. Ruby is gone either way.

I can't imagine that they're going to hang around for the slim chance that Ruby might decide to come back as Kate at some point.

I just can't see the logic in making decisions for the direction of the show based around the fans of an actress who is leaving after 1 season.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

The people who are primarily watching the show for Ruby are probably not going to stick around whether they recast Kate or replace her with a new character. Ruby is gone either way.

I can't imagine that they're going to hang around for the slim chance that Ruby might decide to come back as Kate at some point.

I just can't see the logic in making decisions for the direction of the show based around the fans of an actress who is leaving after 1 season.

Even if Ruby WERE to change her mind, that bridge has already burned down behind her. What makes anyone think that the show would take her back after (a) she made it clear that it was HER decision to quit in the first place and (b) she was reportedly the Diva from Hell on set the entire time?

So Kate is going to the same thing her cousin did and abandon Gotham. I only watched the first half of season one but wasn't the whole point of her putting on the suit because Batman left them? 

They would be better off recasting Kate, they could just not mention it or go with she got injured badly and Alice gave her a new face.  I mean they could even go so far as every one thinks Kate disappeared, but she really got a new face and a fake name to hide her identity again. It's comics, it's not like they haven't done crazier stuff.  Have her introduce herself as Riley or whatever name they give her, then at the end of the first episode have Alice walk up to her and ask Kate how she likes her new secret identity. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Participants in the "Second Wave" of The Plague Nerdalogues, which kicked off June 12, include Camrus Johnson...

The Plague Nerdalogues: Second Wave Will Feature Grant Gustin, Kevin Smith and More Stars to Benefit Black Lives Matter
Laura Prudom   June 11, 2020
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-plague-nerdalogues-the-second-wave-grant-gustin-kevin-smith-yvette-nicole-brown-black-lives-matter-charity

Edited by tv echo

Two Leo Award nominations for Batwoman:

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
DRAMATIC SERIES

Arrow - You Saved This City

Mark Berlet
Batwoman - Mine is a Long and a Sad Tale

Riverdale - Chapter Fifty-Eight: In Memoriam

Riverdale - Chapter Fifty-Four: Fear the Reaper

Van Helsing - Miles and Miles

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
DRAMATIC SERIES

Maya Mani
Batwoman - Who Are You?

DC's Legends of Tomorrow - A Head Of Her Time

Get Shorty - What To Do When You Land

Riverdale - Chapter Fifty-Five: Prom Night

The Detour - The Game Show

(edited)

DC FanDome Announced With THE BATMAN, ZACK SNYDER'S JUSTICE LEAGUE, Arrowverse Reveals, & More
RubyGoldstone | 6/16/2020
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/justice_league/dc-fandome-announced-with-the-batman-zack-snyders-justice-league-arrowverse-reveals-more-a176085

BURBANK, Calif. - Save the date and prep your cosplay! On Saturday, August 22, starting at 10 a.m. PDT, Warner Bros. will welcome fans everywhere into the DC FanDome—a free virtual fan experience where no badge is required.

Imagine all the Super Heroes and Super-Villains you’ve ever loved finally coming together in one place to celebrate DC’s past, present and future. Accessible for 24 hours at DCFanDome.com, the global event will immerse fans into the DC Multiverse, with new announcements from WB Games, Film and TV, and comics, as well as an unprecedented opportunity to hear from the casts and creators behind your favorite feature films and TV series, including: Aquaman, The Batman, Batwoman, Black Adam, Black Lightning, DC Super Hero Girls, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, DC’s Stargirl, Doom Patrol, The Flash, Harley Quinn, the SnyderCut of Justice League, Lucifer, Pennyworth, SHAZAM!, The Suicide Squad, Supergirl, Superman & Lois, Teen Titans GO!, Titans, Watchmen, Young Justice: Outsiders and, coming this fall to theaters worldwide, Wonder Woman 1984.

The DC FanDome is the place to hear highly anticipated announcements and the latest news, see exclusive footage, and venture into themed worlds designed to entertain everyone from movie and TV superfans to gamers and readers, to families and kids. With special presentations to engage fans in every time zone across the globe, you’ll have the opportunity to have an experience that’s all your own. Inside this virtual world, fans will also get access to localized events, featuring the faces and voices from countries around the world in their local language. No matter where you live, your age or your level of fandom, there is something for you.

• DC WatchVerse: Here's where you grab a seat, sit back and join our virtual audience and become completely engrossed in hours of must-see content from around the world. Everything from panels and exclusive screenings to never-before-seen footage, featuring cast, creators and behind-the-scenes crew from across DC Films, TV, Home Entertainment and Games.

(Read More)

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Greg Berlanti's DC TV comments start at around the 25:30 mark in below video...

-- When asked about the challenges of writing LGBTQ characters for his DC TV superhero shows, GB: "When we started to, you know, deal with the subject matter, you know, it's interesting when you're - when you're - I think that the impetus is the same, which is, the show has become more real and more in - vital and interesting when they reflect the world we live in. So whether you're, you know - and we're dealing with - we take very seriously, um, the responsibility of ushering incredibly important characters to individuals that people mark their entire life by into a new generation. But, you know, many of them were created in '40's, '50's, '60's, um, and they reflected the people making the books at that time, which is not what our world looks and feels like today. And so, um, I think a real responsibility for us has been to really look to change the gender and the sexuality and the race of the characters to make them reflect, you know, who we are. And so there's always been - there's always a lot of conversations about each of those choices. But, you know, the same thing obviously goes for the LGBT characters, you know, and that, you know - and - and - and whereas I think 10 years ago people might have said, well, this is a family show, which was code for, you're not allowed to go there, you know, and I - and - and I don't think that anyone feels that way anymore. And so now, the fact that there's, you know, a 13-year-old girl out there, you know, or a young trans kid out there, who's looking at these characters and saying, you know, at whatever age, like, oh my gosh. They get to have the same experience that I had when I was sitting in the back of a comic book shop, you know, uh, just identifying with the characters. But even - even more wholly, you know?"

-- When asked whether there were challenges in getting Batwoman off the ground because it had the first lead that was LGBTQ (putting aside recent casting issues), GB: "No, I think everyone realized it was time, you know, and again there had been, uh, the other shows - the characters on the other shows had been popular. And so, um, you know, it really was, as it is for all the characters, you know, about getting it right. And Caroline Dries, who's the, you know, showrunner of that show, is - is a remarkable talent. She came from Vampire Diaries and she, um, you know, it - the comic - this particular character and this comic book had always been such a passion of hers. Um, she literally left a deal at another studio just to come back and do this show. Um, and she's always had it in - the vision for it and always had it in her, you know, in her teeth."

Conversations in Pride: Greg Berlanti, Storyteller at Paley Front Row 2020
The Paley Center for Media   June 22, 2020

At Paley Front Row 2020, Greg Berlanti celebrates his career as a successful producer, creator, director, and writer of popular TV shows. Topics include: his role in bringing about the first "romantic" gay kiss on a network show; the necessity for more "coming out" stories; why Berlanti has never helmed a "gay-centric" series; the character he wrote that most closely mirrors him; incorporating LGBTQ characters on The CW's DC Comics shows; reactions to his changing DC characters' gender, race, or sexuality; and teaming up with Jim Parsons for HBO Max's "Equal," about gay history before Stonewall.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

From #CWPride Instagram Live Q&A with Colton Haynes and casting director David Rapaport (recorded June 30, posted July 2)...

-- David Rapaport: "We're casting Batwoman right now, um, and it's, uh - it's fascinating. We've seen hundreds of women - hundreds of women over Zoom. The hardest part for me is, like, the direct contact. It's hard not to, like, be in a room and work with somebody. You can give someone notes over Zoom, obviously. It just - it just feels differently. I think I pick up so much of my instinct by being in person with somebody. Um, you just have a sense if someone's right or wrong when they walk in the room. It's very much like dating. It's hard to date over Zoom-made matches, as opposed to, like, sitting down to coffee with somebody. You get that immediate chemistry or you don't. Um, and then with the delay and you can't hear people, you know, there's always something. But I'm excited that we're still - we're still working, and we're hoping that things go back in September. There's no firm start dates, but it looks like a lot of these shows are looking to go back in September."

-- Colton Haynes: "I've been seeing all this stuff, you know, about - that you guys have been casting for Batwoman and just seeing the rumors and everything. We won't get into that." 
Rapaport: "None of them are true. None of them are true." 
Haynes: "Well, I hope one of them is, but it's fine." 
Rapaport: "It probably isn't. It probably isn't. If it's out there, it's not true... We've been seeing a lot of incredible actresses, and I'm sure you know a lot of them. It's such a small community out here."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 2
On 7/3/2020 at 6:00 PM, possibilities said:

They're seeing hundreds, but you probably a lot of them/it's a small community? Okay then.

I'd imagine a lot of unknowns bump into each other at auditions or live together before they make it big.