Type keyword(s) to search

Batwoman in the Media: Send the Bat Signal

• Start Topic

I wonder if the post covid schedule was an issue for her. They're basically going to try to delay production this upcoming season, then turn around and get back on the normal schedule for the next season, which would mean a short break between seasons.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Isn't it really hard for an actor to get out of their contract? They can be fired, but quitting is tough. I hope she doesn't have COVID19 or some other problem that made it obvious she couldn't continue.

Well it could be hard if they wanted to fight her on it, they could block her from appearing in other projects. But they can't force her to show up to work, so if she held out they'd have to be prepared to shoot around her absence or delay production, .so they'd probably just rather move on since it's still early in the show's run rather than have a big public fight with their big name star over it.

• Love 2

Holy forking shirtballs, what the hell did I wake up to.  This is so bananas,  I never had a problem with Ruby the way others did.   And I thought she really grew into her own throughout the season. 

I was very excited to come back to this in season 2, whenever everything calms down but now I'm honestly not sure I'm going to be tuning in. 

• Love 1

Holy crap, what?! This is just shocking, while I was rather meh on Ruby Rose at first as Kate/Batwoman, she grew on me a lot over the season, much like the show itself, and now I have no idea what to expect from the next season. Yeah its happened before, actors leaving (or dying) their show and having to be replaced, even the leads, but its always so weird and awkward, especially at first. From what I have read this morning speculation wise, my guess is that RR didn't really realize how big of a commitment this would be, the work load, dealing with such a big spotlight, looking at possibly several years of working on this show, and she backed out when it all got to be too much. She has never really been a lead, especially in such a big project, but was just well known enough to have some history with viewers and to think that she could handle the pressure. Working on any network show is often exhausting, but being the lead on a really action and stunt heavy show must be even harder, (a few sites speculated that some of the fan backlash was a factor, but I tend to lean more towards just exhaustion with shooting) especially for someone without network experience. 

For re-casting, I would lean towards an unknown or someone just lesser known, which tends to work well for this franchise. Ugh this is just so weird. At least there is some silver lining to the film delays, they can at least have more time to look for a replacement. 

• Love 5

If it was the matter of Ruby being exhausted,  I really don't understand why they could've put less of a focus on her.   Similarly to what Veronica Mars did in season two so KB wasn't completely exhausted.   They could've even reduced episode count,  get body doubles/stunt doubles.  This could really fuck up the show longterm. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I wonder if the post covid schedule was an issue for her. They're basically going to try to delay production this upcoming season, then turn around and get back on the normal schedule for the next season, which would mean a short break between seasons.

Maybe, maybe not? The January 2021 start date suggests that Batwoman, Flash and Superman and Lois will have reduced episode orders.  So it's at least possible that the current plan is to film a reduced schedule for next season and then go back to a normal schedule in July 2021.

That fits with a range of possibilities - filming from July to April, but on a longer per episode schedule (at least 12 days per episode instead of 8), filming from September/October to April, on an 8 day schedule, with fewer episodes; or filming from July to April with the assumption that production might have to be halted frequently.

All of that would allow for the same break between seasons. 

(edited)

Reading the Deadline piece it seems as if there were other issues than just exhaustion or further issues that stemmed from her not enjoying her job but were causing headaches:

I hear Rose, whose most extensive previous TV gig was a nine-episode arc on Orange Is the New Black, was not happy, and the show’s team was not happy to a point where noone could see this going for another season. It was not a good fit, and the studio and the star opted to part ways.

The first 3/4 seasons are usually the heaviest for the named star, maybe they tried to work out a way that would be less on RR but they couldn't make it viable and both sides decided to cut their loses. 

If she was potentially causing a lot of issues on set with other cast and crew and she herself wanted to walk it was probably easier for everyone to use this as a now or never jumping point rather than limping on for another few seasons with a star that didn't want to be there, things on set deteriorating further and the problems becoming public knowledge.  

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, quarks said:

Maybe, maybe not? The January 2021 start date suggests that Batwoman, Flash and Superman and Lois will have reduced episode orders.  So it's at least possible that the current plan is to film a reduced schedule for next season and then go back to a normal schedule in July 2021.

Well, The CW president has said that they planned to continue with full season orders as planned for many of their shows and to have a shorter hiatus between seasons, so no, definitely no reduced schedule at this point. I presume Batwoman was still going to be one of those shows with the 22 episode order.

10 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

If she was potentially causing a lot of issues on set with other cast and crew and she herself wanted to walk it was probably easier for everyone to use this as a now or never jumping point rather than limping on for another few seasons with a star that didn't want to be there, things on set deteriorating further and the problems becoming public knowledge.  

I knew that Ruby left OITNB for various reasons but I'm surprised at the thought that it could be the same here. Maybe it's because it doesn't sound like there was bitterness between Ruby and the cast/crew. I know things could have been kept under wraps for a reason, and maybe that'll come out in the next couple of years, but I think I might feel surprised if that's the reason. 

However, reading the Deadline article, it doesn't sound like there was true animosity between star and network. Rather, it was just a differing of opinions that led to neither side being able to agree on how to proceed with season 2. So, nobody's fault, technically. Ruby probably wasn't prepared for the work, and the network couldn't find a way to lighten her workload for future seasons. Like they said, it just wasn't the right fit in the end. And, of course, neither side would have been able to figure it out until they were well into filming. I'm sure both sides did what they could but, once Ruby had already filmed two or three episodes, she kind of had to stick it out for the rest of the season. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Delphi said:

If it was the matter of Ruby being exhausted,  I really don't understand why they could've put less of a focus on her.   Similarly to what Veronica Mars did in season two so KB wasn't completely exhausted.   They could've even reduced episode count,  get body doubles/stunt doubles.  This could really fuck up the show longterm. 

This is her first major show, she is the star, getting paid more than most....she knew it was an action show. They shouldn't have to worry about putting less focus on her so early on. 

I have seen around the web some people who "claim" to be part of production and say that no one BTS is sad to see her go so....idk.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Well, The CW president has said that they planned to continue with full season orders as planned for many of their shows and to have a shorter hiatus between seasons, so no, definitely no reduced schedule at this point. I presume Batwoman was still going to be one of those shows with the 22 episode order.

I could understand her not being thrilled with that. If they do film full seasons if will likely mean a shorter hiatus. Though I suspect the reality of filming during a pandemic will likely result in the episode orders being cut.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

He also said this was the optimistic approach and acknowledged that this might not happen.  I took this more as a "well, pre pandemic we agreed to full purchase orders for these shows, so that's what we're planning on doing," not a "yes, that is definitely what will be happening."

• Love 1

From Michael Ausiello:

Ruby Rose's Batwoman Exit: The Story Behind Her Shocking Departure

Ruby Rose wanted off Batwoman — and no one was going to stand in her way.

Although the actress’ sudden, surprising departure from The CW superhero drama after just one season was framed on Tuesday as her choice and her choice alone, sources confirm to TVLine that the split was — at best — a mutual one.

“It wasn’t 100-percent her decision,” concedes a source close to the show. “It was a breakup. She wasn’t happy working on the show, and did that make her fun to work with? No. So everyone decided it would be in the best interests of the show, and for all concerned, if they parted ways. It just wasn’t a good fit.”

According to an insider, Rose — coming off the features John Wick: Chapter 2 and The Meg — was distressed by the long hours demanded of a lead TV role and did not acclimate well to life in Vancouver (where the show shoots). Batwoman marked the actress’ first full-time series gig, following her debut as the Scarlet Knight in the Arrowverse’s December 2018 “Elseworlds” crossover and a short arc on Orange Is the New Black.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

This comes from "sources" and "an insider" but TVLine is pretty reputable:

https://tvline.com/2020/05/20/ruby-rose-batwoman-season-2-departure-scoop/

Although the actress’ sudden, surprising departure from The CW superhero drama after just one season was framed on Tuesday as her choice and her choice alone, sources confirm to TVLine that the split was — at best — a mutual one.

“It wasn’t 100-percent her decision,” concedes a source close to the show. “It was a breakup. She wasn’t happy working on the show, and did that make her fun to work with? No. So everyone decided it would be in the best interests of the show, and for all concerned, if they parted ways. It just wasn’t a good fit.”

According to an insider, Rose — coming off the features John Wick: Chapter 2 and The Meg — was distressed by the long hours demanded of a lead TV role and did not acclimate well to life in Vancouver (where the show shoots). Batwoman marked the actress’ first full-time series gig, following her debut as the Scarlet Knight in the Arrowverse’s December 2018 “Elseworlds” crossover and a short arc on Orange Is the New Black.

Reps for Warner Bros. and The CW declined to comment for this story. Rose’s spokesperson, meanwhile, could not be reached for comment.

LOL - jinx!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

However, reading the Deadline article, it doesn't sound like there was true animosity between star and network. Rather, it was just a differing of opinions that led to neither side being able to agree on how to proceed with season 2.

BTW, that part about the reasons why was definitely NOT in the first draft of that article yesterday. It was edited later.

• Useful 4

So in the end, she wasn’t happy, living in Vancouver ain’t easy when you live in L.A., and her unhappiness had the producers going “No point paying someone if she really doesn’t want to be here.”

A decade ago, this would almost come off as a diva fit.  But now it’s more “we really won’t stop you if that’s how you feel.” Part of me think if it wasn’t Berlanti and company, her exit would not have been so easy.

Any bad press will kill a CW show so I can see letting her go without a fuss.

This is a business with money to be made and nobody wants to deal with a star who doesn't want to be there.

RR will probably make more money in the next John Wick movie for her small part then a whole year of Batwoman.

• Love 2

Honestly, though it seemed shocking when I first heard the news, and I'm curious about what the truth is about what exactly happened, I am realizing that ultimately I don't care that she's leaving.

She isn't that great in the role, I'm sure they could find a dozen others who will do as well or better. And whether she's a diva or it was some other problem, I have decided that it's not going to be a loss for viewers. Even if you liked her portrayal, I don't think it is the kind of iconic portrayal that nothing can measure up against.

Now, if I was in a position to hire her for a future project, I would probably not be too eager even to consider it. But they really should have vetted very carefully for a lead role, to make sure whoever they chose would be up to the challenges, happy to do it, and able to sustain the long term responsibility. Lots of people don't love their jobs, but when the role is this central to the product, you have to be extra careful when hiring. That said, mistakes are made sometimes, no process is perfect, and it's not like it's some epic tragedy to have to recast now and then.

There was a role on The Fosters which recast one of the ensemble. I know it's different when it's the lead, but it was still a significant part. I had heard there was some backstage drama, but from the viewpoint of just watching the show, I thought the original actor was doing a good job in the role, and wasn't sure how they were going to make the recast work. But they got someone who was SO MUCH BETTER, it was really shocking. I hope that's how it turns out with Batwoman. Even if you love Ruby, there might be someone else even better, or at least as good in another way. I personally feel like she was not the strongest actor on the show, so from my perspective it shouldn't be that hard to match or upgrade the talent. But even greatness can be matched by other types of greatness. It's just going to be a bit of an adjustment because whatever the new person does, it will be different than what we're used to.

4 minutes ago, UnknownK said:

Any bad press will kill a CW show so I can see letting her go without a fuss.

This is a business with money to be made and nobody wants to deal with a star who doesn't want to be there.

RR will probably make more money in the next John Wick movie for her small part then a whole year of Batwoman.

Yep. And sometimes people agree to do something to launch a project, with the understanding that they will then evaluate whether they want to continue. Maybe they thought they needed a big name, and she got the original eyeballs for them, and now that the show is a success, they don't need her anymore.

In other jobs, you can leave.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

When has bad press ever killed a CW show?

Most of CWs bigger budget shows are only viable because they get sold to streamers, anything that makes a streamer decide they don't want that show will cause problems (loss of viewers because of major drama on set will do that).

(edited)
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

When has bad press ever killed a CW show?

I admit the list of CW shows I pay attention to is very short, but I can't think of any examples. There was producer shenanigans with The Flash and Black Lightning, but the shows are still here.

Edited by Trini
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Variety's take: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/batwoman-ruby-rose-exit-1234612077/

Ruby Rose’s surprise exit from the CW series “Batwoman” stemmed from an ill fit between star and production.

According to multiple sources, Rose was unhappy with the long hours required of her as the series lead, which led to friction on the set. It was thus decided by her and the network and studio, Warner Bros. Television, that they would part ways.

Reps for Rose, Warner Bros., and The CW declined to comment.

Rose’s time on “Batwoman” marked the first TV starring role of her career. She previously appeared on Netflix’s “Orange Is the New Black” and has appeared in supporting roles in several films to date.

Given the sudden nature of it, speculation has been rampant as to the reason for Rose’s exit from the series. It was speculated that it had something to do with pain associated with an emergency surgery Rose underwent for two herniated discs, but a source familiar with the situation tells Variety that Rose’s decision “had nothing to do with her health or injury.”

• Useful 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Spartacus is the most prominent example. The lead actor had to leave because he got sick, but the show suffered because of the recast. The show ended up getting cancelled and I believe a big part of that was due to the recast.

Spartacus ended because they had exhausted all the interesting historical material. And Liam McIntyre did just fine. By the end, he was Spartacus. 

As for the BW replacement...fuck it...just put Rachel Skarsten into the suit. 

Just retcon it to "What? They've always been twins!"

Edited by mrspidey
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, UnknownK said:

Most of CWs bigger budget shows are only viable because they get sold to streamers, anything that makes a streamer decide they don't want that show will cause problems (loss of viewers because of major drama on set will do that).

That didn't happen with The 100, though, which got extensive, worldwide, publicity in major media in its third season, along with major fan backlash/outrage. Or to the Arrowverse shows after Variety revealed some pretty awful stuff about one of the showrunners and some BTS stuff, which fans were also outraged and upset about. The shows still continued to pick up streaming and international licenses.

• Love 4

So on the gossip livejournal blog, ONTD, someone in the comments posted deets (so, yeah, take with a grain of salt, but it certainly fits the reports that are coming out today).

My friend works on the show. Here's some of the goss he's shared with me on her:

Bscly she was a terror on set in every way. Constantly late (sometimes by over 3 hours, and often she was in her trailer, just didn't want to film), constantly complaining about everything, especially about hours and weather and production speed, making unreasonable demands, snarky and unfriendly to the crew (wouldn't voluntarily speak to them and if anyone but the DP/dept. head spoke to her she'd be extremely cold and act like they were wasting her time).

She was a total diva about her stunts (refused to do jack shit, and then would lie to the media about how much she participated in stunt work- the majority of shots in costume that aren't close ups are not her, even when she's not doing stunts), and after she injured herself she was a million times worse, and was constantly citing her injury for being late, can't do this, can't do that, demanding things, refusing to work on certain days, even tho she had been medically cleared, and essentially majorly overplayed everything, including, again, what she told the media.

There were several times the crew was left hanging for hours on night shoots outside in the rain because she flat out refused to come to set until weather cleared, and would sometimes just refuse altogether and leave. She wasted a HUGE amount of money for the studio on this shit, and majorly pissed off the crew who would be ready to go on time and left sitting in the cold and rain all night waiting for her (they had a much higher ratio of night shooting than most shows, for obv reasons).

Not to mention the fact that she is a terrible actress and would need a high number of takes to get usable footage, something which also irritated her further and made her harder to work with because she was constantly impatient and defensive.

• Useful 7
20 minutes ago, driver18 said:

So on the gossip livejournal blog, ONTD, someone in the comments posted deets (so, yeah, take with a grain of salt, but it certainly fits the reports that are coming out today).

....honestly, this makes it LESS believable to me. It just sounds like this is throwing all of the diva sterotypes at Ruby because it's easy, since she already has the label to her name. 

I just...I find it hard to believe. I know there are difficult people like this out there in the entertainment business but are we really going to take this gossiper's word for it? 

I feel like I need something more. Maybe some of it is true, but I just don't believe 80% of this.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well that would fit with Deadline's diplomatic "she wasn't happy and the show's producers weren't happy and it was an untenable situation that couldn't go on for another season." It does fit some of the other less than flattering responses I've seen but I agree, take everything with a pinch of salt considering how easy it is to post something like that.

4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Maybe they thought they needed a big name, and she got the original eyeballs for them, and now that the show is a success, they don't need her anymore.

SA wasn't a big name and he launched a then obscure character and the basis of the Arrowverse, LOT had some even bigger names that stayed on the show longer and left without this potential cloud so casting goes either way. The Arrowverse is bigger than any actor though, I think it would have its current ratings with or without her so it's not a case of "they can get rid of her now the show is launched" but this is probably the one and only opportunity to let her go/get rid of her that we'll get without having to cancel the show, lets take it. 

I mean she was a name and a good get but she wasn't a major star or anything. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 3
(edited)
23 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Bex already spent a year on Arrow so I doubt they'll consider her, and I think they'll want an actress who is 5'6-5'8.

If Bex isn’t an option Jacqueline Toboni would be a good choice. For a while I thought Trubel and Sin were played by the same actress. 

Edited by Guest

Lethal Weapon lost one of its leads and replaced him with a way better actor. If Damon hadn't then quit, the show would have gone on without a hitch.

I didn't like Ruby at first, but she grew on me. 

The only time I put creedence into reports is if there are a lot of reports basically saying the same thing. 

41 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

I mean she was a name and a good get but she wasn't a major star or anything. 

Was she a "name"? I'd never heard of her before she got role. But I admit I might be an outlier. Not directed specifically at you, Featherhat; but I seen this repeatedly mentioned, and not just here.

Has getting a "name" for these DCTV lead roles, ever been a priority? While they all had notable roles previously, I'd say the only ones that were somewhat close to household names before DCTV were Ben McKensie (Gotham), and Arthur Darvill and Brandon Routh (Legends). The rest were relative unknowns.

Yes, it'd be good to get some star power for these shows, but fancasters should remember the CW budget and Vancouver location limits choices.

TL;DR: If RR was the 'best' they could get the first time, I don't think we're getting anyone more famous than that for the second round.

1 hour ago, driver18 said:

I can believe certain aspects of it but if she was as constantly late as they say....finishing 20 episodes seems hard to do. She appeared to be getting along just fine with all the other Arrowverse actors but of course not much seemed to happen between the cast of her own show so who knows...

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Trini said:

Was she a "name"? I'd never heard of her before she got role. But I admit I might be an outlier. Not directed specifically at you, Featherhat; but I seen this repeatedly mentioned, and not just here.

Has getting a "name" for these DCTV lead roles, ever been a priority? While they all had notable roles previously, I'd say the only ones that were somewhat close to household names before DCTV were Ben McKensie (Gotham), and Arthur Darvill and Brandon Routh (Legends). The rest were relative unknowns.

Yes, it'd be good to get some star power for these shows, but fancasters should remember the CW budget and Vancouver location limits choices.

TL;DR: If RR was the 'best' they could get the first time, I don't think we're getting anyone more famous than that for the second round.

She was definitely a name. Was she A-list? No, but when you are talking about an actress who was lesbian/bi-sexual and considered hot, she was up there. Of course this was more for her looks than her acting. Her replacement certainly wont be as well known but that's a good thing. Melissa/Grant/SA all were pretty unknown and it helped build them and the show.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

....honestly, this makes it LESS believable to me. It just sounds like this is throwing all of the diva sterotypes at Ruby because it's easy, since she already has the label to her name. 

I just...I find it hard to believe. I know there are difficult people like this out there in the entertainment business but are we really going to take this gossiper's word for it? 

I feel like I need something more. Maybe some of it is true, but I just don't believe 80% of this.

Yeah, there are several things that make that sketchy - to say the least. One thing that stuck out to me was saying she lied to the media, when she's done the least amount of press.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

She was definitely a name. Was she A-list? No, but when you are talking about an actress who was lesbian/bi-sexual and considered hot, she was up there. Of course this was more for her looks than her acting. Her replacement certainly wont be as well known but that's a good thing. Melissa/Grant/SA all were pretty unknown and it helped build them and the show.

Pretty much this. There are people in various places acting like it was the equivalent of signing (insert A list actress here) though. It wasn't, but as a visible lesbian actress (which it seems they're dedicated to getting) then yeah. She had been in mainstream hit roles and movies known outside the LGBT community and looked great. I certainly don't think she had any significant impact on ratings though. 

WRT behaviour I do believe some of it but not necessarily all of it and again it's the easiest thing in the world to make up terrible details. And it fits with Deadline noting production being unhappy as well if she was making her misery known and not "sucking it up". But I don't believe she was in her trailer eating puppies for the fun of it or anything. 

Camrus Johnson the first actor to break silence basically I said "I know everyone's sad but we're all dedicated to bringing you an even better S2, positivity!" and not so much about RR which  people are taking to mean everything and nothing.

I'll add Dominique Provost-Chalkley (Waverly Earp) to the list of potentials. Has genre credentials, identifies as queer and her part in Wynonna Earp gained her quite a following in the LGBTQ community, can deal with working in Canada. And was really good in Wynonna Earp. Only unknown: can she pull off short hair?

• Love 1

I'm not saying she was, but I can believe that RR was a thorn in everyone's side during production.  I don't know that it was exactly as the ONTD poster said, but if she was unhappy enough to want to get out of her contract, saying "I want to be released from my six-year contract as the title character" probably wouldn't be enough.

But if she makes the producers want to get her out of there, too, they're more inclined to release her.  So if she was being a diva and creating production and interpersonal problems, that might not have been just "how she is," but more so how she was purposely behaving to get that contract release.  Other actors and actresses have done stuff like this before, I'm sure.  The only one that immediately comes to mind is how Jessica Biel was purposely doing risqué photo shoots and things to try to force a dismissal from Seventh Heaven.

Of course, there's consequences to this hypothetical course of action.  As mentioned above, studios may think twice / not at all about casting her in any prominent roles.  The public will get the surface-level diplomacy and leaks from alleged inside sources, but in Hollywood, they'll talk much more freely about the "she said, they said" sides.  It's a calculated risk that may or may not pay off - she may find continued success in projects of shorter commitments, or she could end up one of the endless string of young actors who lose traction.  I haven't watched OITNB, but I've seen her in multiple movie roles and she always comes off the exact same to me.  (Not that The Meg and XXX: Return of Xander Cage were roles of depth, haha.)  I honestly didn't see much difference in her as Batwoman/Kate, either.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

I'll add Dominique Provost-Chalkley (Waverly Earp) to the list of potentials. Has genre credentials, identifies as queer and her part in Wynonna Earp gained her quite a following in the LGBTQ community, can deal with working in Canada. And was really good in Wynonna Earp. Only unknown: can she pull off short hair?

If you are going to steal somebody from Wynnona Earp why not get Katherine Barrell, at least she looks like RR a little and could pull of short hair.

Edited by UnknownK
1 hour ago, Trini said:

I wouldn't call it a priority for them, but I would add Victor Garber to your list. And probably Jesse Martin. 

If we're including guest roles, I think Mark Hamill definitely counts as a household name. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, UnknownK said:

If you are going to steal somebody from Wynnona Earp why not get Katherine Barrell, at least she looks like RR a little and could pull of short hair.

My bad - I had honestly thought it had been cancelled. I stopped watching a while ago and since Doc showed up on Vagrant Queen I was sure the show had seen its final season. Okay - in that case scratch my idea (and Katherine Barrell had crossed my mind too but she's straight).