Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/21/2021 at 12:24 PM, tennisgurl said:

I guessed early on that Adam would win, and when Jody's cake started leaning I knew he was out of the running. I was rooting for Sabrina, but I really liked all three final bakers, any of them would have been a much deserved win. I know that Adam rubs people the wrong way, but I think he seems like a perfectly nice guy, just more reserved then Sabrina and Jody, and his final cake looked amazing. Those details! Its been a really strong group overall, but Adam has been at the top since day one. 

The lights as the finale twist was even lamer then most twists, what are they supposed to do besides wrap them around the cake? Bake them inside the things? 

I didn't have anything against Adam personally. What bugged me is that the judges IMO wanted him to win and so bypassed all of his mistakes the whole way.

• Love 4
On 12/22/2021 at 12:04 PM, proserpina65 said:

I have yet to encounter any such creature as a too chocolatey chocolate cake.

I have! Most people think I’m crazy though when I say that something is too chocolatey. In fairness, I didn’t even like chocolate until I was a teenager, and I’m actually not a huge fan of icing at all unless it’s light. It’s not at all unusual for me to eat the cake and leave most of the icing on the plate. So, I don’t think my food preferences are the norm lol.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I’m actually not a huge fan of icing at all unless it’s light. It’s not at all unusual for me to eat the cake and leave most of the icing on the plate.

I am the same. I like whipped cream on cake more than frosting.

• Love 8
On 12/22/2021 at 12:04 PM, proserpina65 said:

I have yet to encounter any such creature as a too chocolatey chocolate cake.

I think (and this is really just a guess) he wanted another flavor in there to balance out the chocolate. At least, this is my interpretation of that comment.

As far as the food coloring is concerned, something else occured to me: colors look different for different brands and the small color dot on the packaging is rarely an indication of what the color looks like. One of my "Leaf Green" looks like the "Kelly Green" from another brand and the "Leaf Green" from that brand looks like the color Jody used.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I think (and this is really just a guess) he wanted another flavor in there to balance out the chocolate. At least, this is my interpretation of that comment.

As far as the food coloring is concerned, something else occured to me: colors look different for different brands and the small color dot on the packaging is rarely an indication of what the color looks like. One of my "Leaf Green" looks like the "Kelly Green" from another brand and the "Leaf Green" from that brand looks like the color Jody used.

Wouldn't it also depend on the type of coloring used? There are food coloring liquids, pastes and gels, and it seems like each type might blend and color differently. Just my guess. I do know from Duff that you can taste it when alot is used.

2 hours ago, susannah said:

Wouldn't it also depend on the type of coloring used? There are food coloring liquids, pastes and gels, and it seems like each type might blend and color differently.

Definitely. Liquid also affects the consistency but I don't think they have it at the show.

2 hours ago, susannah said:

Just my guess. I do know from Duff that you can taste it when alot is used.

Yeah, reds and pinks taste bitter although there are a couple of reds that have no taste. I've never had a problem with blue or green but I think if you use too much blue it can have a metallic taste.

On 12/22/2021 at 9:17 PM, susannah said:

I will say though that in a bakery, bakers usually have help, and, as you said, it is their own surroundings and equipment.

This.  There's a world of difference between Duff and his employees in Duff's usual kitchen with the equipment they're all used to and these contestants working on their own in an unfamiliar kitchen with an incredibly strict time limit.

On 12/23/2021 at 11:11 AM, HyeChaps said:

I would put Adam’s winning cake right up there with past winner Jason and the one who won with the six geese a laying. 

I'd put Adam's cake way past Jason's, which wasn't even the best cake of that season.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

This.  There's a world of difference between Duff and his employees in Duff's usual kitchen with the equipment they're all used to and these contestants working on their own in an unfamiliar kitchen with an incredibly strict time limit.

I'd put Adam's cake way past Jason's, which wasn't even the best cake of that season.

I remember the six geese a laying cake, was that Megan's? I don't recall Jason's.

On 12/21/2021 at 12:41 PM, rlc said:

You need to use either powdered sugar or corn starch when you roll out fondant (it is very sticky). You clean it up once it is on the cake. Adam's fondant looked very 'dusty' while he was applying it, but was clean and shiny in he final shots. Usually you spray the fondant with vodka once you are finished working with it. It evaporates, leaving the finished work clean and shiny. 

Thank you!!

On 12/22/2021 at 9:28 PM, CheshireCat said:

Plus, the spotlights likely make the kitchen much warmer than they're used to.

There are different greens, though, and I'm pretty sure that he could have put the whole bottle in and it wouldn't have turned forest green or evergreen green.

That said, I have no idea if they provide the proper green.

I'm an author and in one of my books the character is on my "dream" baking show.  I did research with some people who have been on these types of shows and they all say how the lights are so hot that they melt everything.

• Useful 2
3 minutes ago, kj4ever said:

I'm an author and in one of my books the character is on my "dream" baking show.  I did research with some people who have been on these types of shows and they all say how the lights are so hot that they melt everything.

Plus it takes a long time for cakes to cool completely, and several bakers have tried to frost or decorate cakes that weren't cooled, and ended up with goo.

• Love 2
On 12/21/2021 at 10:04 PM, susannah said:

I said it sure wouldn't be easy for me, but an experienced baker shouldn't have a problem with it. I also don't know why square cakes aren't easy enough for again, experienced bakers.

Okay. I think you should look up some videos or tutorials about decorating square cakes so you can really see how difficult it is. You seem to be making an assumption because a square by itself is a simple shape.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, starlightlost said:

Okay. I think you should look up some videos or tutorials about decorating square cakes so you can really see how difficult it is. You seem to be making an assumption because a square by itself is a simple shape.

I am making the assumption that an experienced baker would be able to deal with it, difficult or not.

• Love 1
On 1/6/2022 at 10:11 PM, susannah said:

I am making the assumption that an experienced baker would be able to deal with it, difficult or not.

And that is an inaccurate assumption.  Square cakes are not necessarily easier to decorate, especially if trying to use fondant.  The corners are an absolute bitch.  Add in the insane time constraints and the incredible heat from the lights, I'm amazed some of these bakers manage to get anything looking decent at all.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Nancy’s IG post popped up on my feed and there was a pic of her and Jesse and she said they’re in Knoxville filming Holiday BC right now. So thank God that Jesse will be back!

This is GREAT news!!!

• Love 5
(edited)
23 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

This is GREAT news!!!

Well, this is good news.  Nancy saying she's not doing it anymore would be great news 😉

Edited by Rammchick
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Nancy’s IG post popped up on my feed and there was a pic of her and Jesse and she said they’re in Knoxville filming Holiday BC right now. So thank God that Jesse will be back!

I don't care so much that Jesse is back, it's the fact  that Molly isn't that matters.

• Love 16
(edited)

My favorite combination is Jesse as host; Carla, Duff and Nancy as judges.

No Kardea and especially, without a shadow of a doubt, no Molly.

There are other judges and hosts on other competitions that I like -- Ron Ben-Israel, Sherry Yard, John Henson for Halloween (but in my book, John can host anything!).

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 4

I still miss Lorraine, but I do like Carla. I liked Kardea okay on her first outing, but she lost me this last season. I actually think the "dream team" for me would be Jesse (host), Duff, Lorraine, and Carla.

So happy Molly won't be hosting!

• Love 12
17 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

My favorite combination is Jesse as host; Carla, Duff and Nancy as judges.

No Kardea and especially, without a shadow of a doubt, no Molly.

There are other judges and hosts on other competitions that I like -- Ron Ben-Israel, Sherry Yard, John Henson for Halloween (but in my book, John can host anything!).

I think the combination they have on The Big Bake is good -- Ron Ben Israel, Harry Eastwood and Eddie Jackson (with a couple of others rotating in)

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I think the combination they have on The Big Bake is good -- Ron Ben Israel, Harry Eastwood and Eddie Jackson (with a couple of others rotating in)

100% this!

• Love 3
On 5/25/2022 at 3:21 AM, Spunkygal said:

YAY! No Molly! 

• Love 9

They haven't had the same host for the Spring and Holiday shows since Bobby Deen hosted the first season of Spring so I don't think there was a big risk of Molly showing up there.   For some reason, they've never really found a host that clicks with the Spring show, unlike the Holiday show with Jesse and Halloween show with John.   They may be hoping Molly would be the one to click with the judges/audience/producers to be the one to add some consistency to the hosting, but the chance of that happening now is almost zero.  

• Love 4

After watching the great judging rapport for this year's Halloween baking championship, I'm not looking forward to suffering through Nancy's inane banter. I would love to see Carla, Duff, and Lorraine work together.

Looking forward to seeing how this season goes.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Catfi9ht said:

After watching the great judging rapport for this year's Halloween baking championship, I'm not looking forward to suffering through Nancy's inane banter. I would love to see Carla, Duff, and Lorraine work together.

Looking forward to seeing how this season goes.

I have to agree. The Halloween BC was so much fun this year! Everyone seemed to get along very well and things were so positive. 

• Like 4
  • Love 5

I like this show - Jesse is a good host and the judges do a decent job critiquing the bakers. I like the fun atmosphere of the show - no meanness! My one problem with this current crop of contestants are the couple of women who are over-mugging it for the cameras. (The woman from Utah and the woman from Texas via London or whatever she said) Ladies: Tone it down! This overacting might have something to do with their social media following, but I don't want to see it. That's one thing I love about The Great British Baking Show. The contestants seem like normal, nice people who don't feel the need to make a spectacle of themselves. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 13

I'm going to give Kristen time to settle down before I judge her too harshly. She's nervous, and some people can't help laughing when they're nervous.

When Antoine was talking about how the holidays make his kids happy and said "Whatever makes my kids happy automatically makes me happy", I imagined his kids hearing that and thinking "Hmm...interesting..." 😆

Aishia (the first challenge winner) is really reminding me of someone...that's gonna bug me until I figure out who.

1 hour ago, starlightlost said:

Great first episode. I liked the cakes vs pies idea. Wish I had her pecan pie recipe. Now I'm getting into the spirit! 🎄🎅

I liked it in theory but not execution because of what happened here.  Of course it ended up tied.  But what if the best bite and the worst bite were both from the same team? 

My DVR cut off the ending.  Did French lady stay?  I love her.

8 hours ago, JudgeyMcJudgyPants said:

Ok, so Kristen is annoying the fuck out of me!  I didn’t know it was possible to have a high pitched vocal fry.  And pull your hair back!!!

I’m already tired of the stupid twists.

I liked her. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I've never had a Pavlova, so when they say it should be crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside, do they mean not baked all the way through? Wouldn't that mean it's gooey? Or do they mean the texture should be airy and melt in your mouth?

What was up with Kristen's giggling? That was annoying.

Dru's Pavlova looked like a mess. It didn't find it inviting at all.

Christine's did look delicious, so did Zakiya's, Bill's and Aaron's. Did they say how old Aaron is? He looks so young, I was surprised that he's been baking professionally for six years already.

Sumera's Pavlova looked really festive but it was a bit too much for me. I prefer the way Christine's an Aaron's looked.

I don't think the problem was that Antoine's leafs were too big, I think they were too bright and too green.

Has Nancy never made a wreath herself? You can make one out of many individual pieces. I didn't really understand her issue but I often don't understand it. 

I didn't envy the judges for this one - that was a lot of sugary egg white they had to taste.

I sort of agree with Irlandesa, I like the idea of pie vs cake in theory but I don't think it makes sense to judge them against each other. That's like comparing apples and oranges. Which one is better? First and foremost, it's a matter of taste, but if you leave taste aside, they're not comparable either because they're two completely different things. The only thing they have in common is that they're a fruit, just like the only thing pie and cake have in common that they're a dessert.

I've never heard of a candy-cane pie. Is that an actual thing or did they make it up? I like that Aishia kept her flavor though.

Uh, Aaron, Linzer Cookies aren't made with hazelnut flour, they're made with flour and almond flour. (And technically, that wasn't a Linzer cookie. Linzer cookies are sandwich cookies. You have a base cookie and cut out a shape of the top then fill them with jam, usually raspberry jam and dust them with powdered sugar).

I think Aishia did a really good job with her pie. It looked really good. The cake looked good as well. What I didn't like about it is the many different flavors. Why use Bailey's in the buttercream of a candy cane cake? And the cookies then added yet another flavor.

I have to agree with Duff on the Apple Cake. Naked cakes can look good but they have to be really straight and exact and this one wasn't. The top layer was a bit narrower than the bottom layer and it had a bit too much buttercream on it to be a naked cake. I also think they have to be a little taller to look good.
You could tell that the cake would be, to use Nancy's words, gummy just from looking at the slice.
While I think the candy cake had the advantage over the pie, it's probably far easier to make an apple pie than a tiered apple cake.

I did not like the look of the eggnog pie at all. I find it was overloaded and looked far too heavy. A 2:1 filling/topping ratio would have been better, although, it was obviously delicious.
I'm not sure if "I could smash it" is a good indicator of whether a cookie is baked or not. I'm pretty sure you could smash most cookies as they're often crumbly. I am okay with Michelle going home, though.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Was Carla starring as Pocahontas in a junior high pageant and didn't have time to change?   Or did wardrobe not realize she was filming Holiday not Halloween that day?

That losing egg nog cake was embarrassing.  Whoever said it belong on Spring Baking Championship With Molly Yeah (tm) was right.  She would have wet herself over it.  And Duff would have been on Twitter telling you all how mean you are.   The sprinkles were bad enough but then the gumdrops?  Yeesh.  Willy Wonka called and said dial it down. 

So on Holiday Wars they booted a team that made something far, far superior to any other team because they forgot to throw a few Scrabble pieces on their display. But the one dude on here totally botches his cookies and gets to stay. 

The guy wear half the party section from his local Dollar Tree on his head bugs the crap out of me.  I don't find it cute or quirky. 

I know he was probably melting under the studio lights but Jesse was rocking the winter outerwear. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Was Carla starring as Pocahontas in a junior high pageant and didn't have time to change?   Or did wardrobe not realize she was filming Holiday not Halloween that day?

Well, they used fall flavors so maybe the wardrobe team was thinking fall foliage with that outfit?

4 minutes ago, Maverick said:

So on Holiday Wars they booted a team that made something far, far superior to any other team because they forgot to throw a few Scrabble pieces on their display. But the one dude on here totally botches his cookies and gets to stay. 

He got lucky because Team Pie was safe from elimination. I think Jesse mentioned something in that regard. I caught that he said something to the contestant but I didn't catch what it was exactly.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

The right person went home.   Rachelle was obvious cannon fodder from the start, but there were a couple of others who got very lucky that they didn't go home instead.   Especially the baker who had the cookies that ran and charcoaled.       I really wish contestants would watch the previous seasons, and practice a couple of pies, a few cakes, and look at the latest trends in baking.       I'm hoping some of them were just overwhelmed with first show jitters, and get it together.    

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The right person went home.   Rachelle was obvious cannon fodder from the start, but there were a couple of others who got very lucky that they didn't go home instead.   Especially the baker who had the cookies that ran and charcoaled.       I really wish contestants would watch the previous seasons, and practice a couple of pies, a few cakes, and look at the latest trends in baking.       I'm hoping some of them were just overwhelmed with first show jitters, and get it together.    

Yeah, this is what I always say when I watch the German version of the Great British Bake-Off. If they can bring decoration that they prepared at home, they must have an idea of what kind of a cake they'll have to make for the final challenge the coming week, so why do they not try to time their bake at home to find out if they really can make it in 4 or 5 hours?

Same with those bakers. They may not know what they'll have to bake but they could try to make a cake with a Christmas theme in 2 or 3 hours. Or a Yule Log. Or any of the other things that were featured on previous seasons.

I also find it hard to believe that an experienced baker/professional baker doesn't have a feel for how long something will take them. I was way off with my estimates when I first started but lately, I only get in a bit of a time crunch when the order comes in later than it should or something unforeseen goes wrong. (And I don't really consider myself a professional as I'm a self-taught home baker. But I didn't go to a culinary school or work as a pastry chef or at a bakery or anything).

• Love 2