Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, msani19 said:

That's a really good point and maybe it's that reason I hate the episode. It's so painful to watch. 

Yes, that episode is painful.  I understand what they were trying to convey, but I didn't need to spend a half an hour watching it.  Very unfunny.

My hate, hate, hate reunion episode is Cliff's birthday.  I just cringe at how mean Carla is.  I got acerbic on Cheers, but in this episode she is just downright mean and nasty.  Acerbic I can laugh at.  Mean and nasty I cannot.  I hate that I even watched this, because it sort of ruined Carla and Cheers for me forever.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, stillsearching74 said:

I do love Frasier - which is funny considering I didn't much care for him on Cheers. (Or really anyone on Cheers, which is why I stopped watching it!)

You know, it's funny, I'm the exact opposite. I like Frasier the Show fine, but I never loved it as much as I love Cheers.

I'm frequently impressed with David Hyde Pierce's gift for physical comedy. Occasionally there are extended scenes with Niles alone, no dialogue, only music, that are hysterically funny. 

• Love 12
On 6/2/2017 at 2:20 AM, Quof said:

I've seen Pierce on stage a few times.  He is a tiny man, but has a big presence. 

Ooh, that's cool. What did you see him in? Also, have you ever seen The Perfect Host?

• Love 1
Just now, Quof said:

I saw Spamalot, La Bete (which I hated), and Vanya, Sonya, Masha and Spike, which may be the funniest comedy I have ever seen.  

I envy you. What role did he have in Spamalot? We wanted to go but ticket prices were out if this world (at the time it would have included airfare and accommodations in NYC.)

I was fortunate enough to see him in Spamalot, too!  He was Brave Sir Robin, and he was awesome.  I got up at the crack of dawn and stood in line for SRO tickets -- $20.  I think that's all done online now.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ooh, that's cool. What did you see him in? Also, have you ever seen The Perfect Host?

I've seen "The Perfect Host" (years ago). If you plan to see it, stay completely unspoiled. Don't even watch trailers. It will be way more fun if you don't know anything ahead of time. Pierce is terrific in it, in a highly unusual role.

• Love 1
Just now, rubaco said:

I've seen "The Perfect Host" (years ago). If you plan to see it, stay completely unspoiled. Don't even watch trailers. It will be way more fun if you don't know anything ahead of time. Pierce is terrific in it, in a highly unusual role.

I have seen and you're right. I won't drop any spoilers here. I would however encourage people to watch it if they get a chance. It's quite the ride.

Embarrassed, as a longtime fan, to confess this, but -- I was watching "Big Crane on Campus" tonight (for the 783rd time), and it struck me.  For the 1st time.

Over the years, there have been many plot lines and other references to the Crane boys attending high school.  AND prep school.  

So it finally occurred to me tonight -- how did they attend both?  

Was there ever any explanation that I missed?  That prep school was middle school, then high school was public school?  Because I don't believe Lorna/Lana was at prep school, which was most certainly all-boy, anyway.

Help!!

• Love 1

Yeah, the schooling didn't make much sense - especially how it seemed that Niles and Frasier had so many shared experiences when weren't they like four years apart in age??  

Cabins, too, bothered me.  They (Roz) won a cabin/ski lodge for a weekend, Niles owned (or was it Maris?) a cabin, they rented their childhood cabin (?), Frasier spontaneously took off to a cabin...I might be forgetting one or two more instances.  Did somebody own a cabin (other than Maris) or not?  

• Love 1

Ronnie's boss had a cabin too that they used for a weekend getaway. Originally it was supposed to be only Ronnie and Martin but Frasier, Niles & Daphne wound up going too and had wacky nightmares while there.

And didn't Niles and Frasier join Martin at Duke's cabin for ice fishing. It was a hut really but I think it can be added to the list. Cabins, cabins everywhere.

12 hours ago, indeed said:

Yeah, the schooling didn't make much sense - especially how it seemed that Niles and Frasier had so many shared experiences when weren't they like four years apart in age??  

Cabins, too, bothered me.  They (Roz) won a cabin/ski lodge for a weekend, Niles owned (or was it Maris?) a cabin, they rented their childhood cabin (?), Frasier spontaneously took off to a cabin...I might be forgetting one or two more instances.  Did somebody own a cabin (other than Maris) or not?  

Maris owned a beach house.  That's the episode with the dead seal outside the dinner party.  I can't remember if Niles and Maris were together at the time, or if Niles got it in the divorce. 

I don't remember how they ended up in the childhood cabin where they watched the videos and everyone but Frasier realized his new girlfriend looked just like his mom.

The episode with Megan Mulllaly, where Frasier and Niles weren't sure if they were off on "that" kind of weekend or not - that was also a cabin, wasn't it?

• Love 1

In that part of the country, though, there are a LOT of cabins.  Seattle is in the Pacific Northwest, and it's an easy 1-2 hour drive to places where there are tons of cabins.  Also you can take a ferry ride to some of the small islands near Seattle and there are pretty much just cabins on some of those.  My aunt owned a cabin on one of those islands when I was a kid--there are a lot of cabins in Seattle area, so that part is one of the few things they got right about the setting.  (I complain about things they get wrong about Seattle/PNW all the time!)

• Love 1
(edited)

No, I figured there were a lot of cabins, but the family cabin they went to was very lived in looking yet I guess they rented it years before instead of owning it?  Frasier must've had a cabin rental place on speed dial because he took off to one in one episode (with the exes hallucinations?) - same cabin?  Niles owned one (from the divorce?) that they went to once when he tried to match up Donnie with Roz.  Yes, and there's the cabin where Frasier and Niles took their dates during Niles' separation.

(I think Duke and Martin rented the ice shack?  And I *REALLY* don't like the dreams episode at Ronnie's boss' cabin.  Thanks for the reminder.  ;) )

Anyway, I was just trying to keep them all straight.  I wouldn't have been surprised if someone in the family had owned a cabin.  

Anyone have any thoughts on the school issue mentioned above?

Edited by indeed

I always assumed that the terms "Prep School" and "High School" were interchangeable in the Crane world.  They went to high school at a prep school.  But maybe that's too simple.

• Love 3

I took it the same way @camom. I technically went to a 'prep school" (it was literally in the name of the school) but no one called it that, ever! It was high school or middle school depending on your grade. Every time I heard them say that in the show it made me laugh cause it sounded so ridiculous. 

On 6/10/2017 at 10:52 AM, indeed said:

No, I figured there were a lot of cabins, but the family cabin they went to was very lived in looking yet I guess they rented it years before instead of owning it?  

Anyone have any thoughts on the school issue mentioned above?

Maybe the cabin was a timeshare. There was an episode where Frasier decides to take Freddie camping and they leave first thing in the morning. But lots of campgrounds have cabins, so ... 

Prep school is private (a private school that prepares students for college) vs public high school.  Sort of the same thing, but one caters to rich kids. I learned about this from Love Story, where Jenny teases Oliver about going to prep school and calls him Preppie.  

• Love 1
On 6/12/2017 at 3:04 PM, camom said:

I always assumed that the terms "Prep School" and "High School" were interchangeable in the Crane world.  They went to high school at a prep school.  But maybe that's too simple.

I'm inclined to agree except for Lana. Do they have co-ed prep schools?

• Love 1
On 6/9/2017 at 9:58 PM, Aquarius said:

Maris owned a beach house.  That's the episode with the dead seal outside the dinner party.  I can't remember if Niles and Maris were together at the time, or if Niles got it in the divorce. 

I don't remember how they ended up in the childhood cabin where they watched the videos and everyone but Frasier realized his new girlfriend looked just like his mom.

The episode with Megan Mulllaly, where Frasier and Niles weren't sure if they were off on "that" kind of weekend or not - that was also a cabin, wasn't it?

Not quite a "cabin," but Maris also owned a lakefront cottage that became Niles' as part of the settlement Donny negotiated for him. Niles repaid him by attempting to torpedo his relationship with Daphne by reuniting him with Roz, lol. One of my favorite episodes. "Who knew ducks were so shifty??" 

No, I figured there were a lot of cabins, but the family cabin they went to was very lived in looking yet I guess they rented it years before instead of owning it?  

They specifically mention renting that one especially for Martin's birthday, so they definitely didn't own that one. It was just a place they stayed many times in childhood. 

Something I noticed from  (excessive) rewatching is that in Mel's first episode,  she has a picture of her son on her desk.  The son is old enough for Niles to assume he could be a boyfriend.  He is never mentioned again. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Pjxf99 said:

Something I noticed from  (excessive) rewatching is that in Mel's first episode,  she has a picture of her son on her desk.  The son is old enough for Niles to assume he could be a boyfriend.  He is never mentioned again. 

I think they were mostly setting up a joke that Niles saw Mel as younger and more attractive than other people did. Like most things related to Mel, her son (and any previous relationships) were dropped as she just became the foil to keep Niles and Daphne apart.

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought it was a joke about her being a plastic surgeon, because he also claims Mel must have had him as a teenager. They must've  really liked it, because they used it again in the final season when Bebe was trying to get Frasier to have his eyes done. He's very against the idea, then a man Frasier's age comes in to Café Nervosa and calls Bebe "Mom". Needless to say, Frasier decides to call her surgeon. 

Edited by ZuluQueenOfDwarves
On 3/16/2017 at 2:55 PM, peacheslatour said:

In a nutshell, Frasier gets a job offer for a television show in San Francisco. From Wikipedia since I'm too lazy to type it all out:

Frasier invites his brother, father, Daphne, Ronee, and Roz to his apartment to announce his move to San Francisco. However, before the dinner, Frasier begins handing out gifts of significance. When an ominous phone call answered by the answering machine from a doctor reveals potentially bad news regarding Frasier's future outlook, the attendees fear the worst. Frasier then informs them of his impending move to San Francisco, where his new show will begin the following week. Later, during the celebration, Frasier reveals his reasoning for taking the job, citing that with Daphne and Niles' child, Martin and Ronee's marriage, and Roz's promotion, each of them have now begun a new phase of their lives, and that he now desires to do the same. Frasier then recites Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "Ulysses". He reads the same poem at the end of his final show at KACL, where he thanks the staff and listeners for the past eleven years before closing, as ever, with the words "Goodnight, Seattle."

Frasier finishes his story as the plane lands – not in San Francisco, but in Chicago, where Charlotte has moved – and says to Anne, "Wish me luck."

And then the title card reads: Thanks for calling. Christ I'm crying just typing that.

I just rewatched the final season this week and the finale last night. The series finale was awesome and got me all choked up. I watched Cheers and Frasier from day one, starting when I was a kid.

(edited)

The goodbyes with everyone in Frasier's living room in the final episode always bring tears to my eyes. The way Roz says, "It just hit me...you're really leaving.", that's when the waterworks start. And then Niles and Martin's parting words with Frasier just add to it. 

4 hours ago, ennui said:

Interesting read. This part about Moose made me so sad:

Moose had gotten so old and gray that in his last appearance on the show the make-up department painted his faded markings back on, and he just got to sit on the couch and take it easy, since he couldn't really perform anymore.

Awwww :(. 

As for a "Frasier" reunion, I wouldn't be opposed to a one-off get-together or something sometime. But at the same time, the show ended in a good place as it was (unlike with "Roseanne" and "Will & Grace", which ended on dark/unresolved notes), and the cast still seems pretty close in general to where they've hung out together at other functions and worked together on other shows (ex: some of the cast appearing on "Hot in Cleveland", which Leeves was on) and whatnot, so maybe leaving it at that works, too. 

If they did ever have a proper reunion, though, I'd definitely watch. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3
On 11/28/2016 at 10:32 PM, ketose said:

I remember I used to watch Cheers all the time, but I didn't think Frasier was a show for me. I didn't start watching it until the series had ended. It probably wasn't for me at the time, since I was a teenager when Frasier started.

Frasier was one of my least favorite characters on Cheers and I really didn't think a spinoff about him would interest me.  But then I caught Coffee With Niles when it first aired while I was doing homework and I ended up really liking it.  I thought it was so smart to hire DHP (who I already loved) and make the brothers similar.  I watched the reruns that summer.  (Reruns, remember those?)

On 12/8/2016 at 3:44 PM, amensisterfriend said:

I'm actually interested in how the show was perceived back then. Are there characters/storylines that people initially disliked that they grew to love? Did a lot of fans want Niles/Daphne and/or Frasier/Roz to get together?

I remember not wanting Niles and Daphne to get together at first.  I was loving the "unseen Maris" so much.  I always pictured her as Valerie Mahaffey who co-starred with DHP on the hilarious but short lived The Powers That Be.  In fact, the first scene from this clip about his character's suicidal tendencies instantly became a classic for me.  One of those scenes that will make me always remember this show.

But eventually I came around to Daphne and Niles big time. 

I never came around to Frasier/Roz.  I never wanted them. I hated that they even had one time together.  The only love interest I loved for Frasier was Lilith.  Claire was good too.  But probably too good for Frasier.

When I eventually rewatched the series, I also found myself low key shipping Roz and Niles and wonder if they should have gone there.  They were terrific with their fake relationship in Decoys

I feel like our notions of humor change so much that even some shows more recent than Frasier feel a little dated, but for some reason Frasier's sharp (yet never cruel) wit feels kind of timeless to me. I'm guessing that if it first aired today some might have issues with a few of the jokes about sexual orientation and what could be perceived as "slut shaming" of Roz, but I'm not offended at all---there's such a warm good nature and genuinely kind spirit to this show even when they're trading barbs.

There were a lot of theater people behind Frasier.  They relied on family and relationships for humor, which is always relevant.  They employed classic farce which is timeless.  There were a lot of jokes related to Niles or Frasier being mistaken for being gay but they didn't really go the gay panic route. (I think the fact that some of the creators were gay may have influenced this). Even the Roz jokes tended to have a friendly feeling, except for the jokes between Roz and Niles when they disliked one another.  But the feeling was mutual and Roz never had a problem holding her own. 

But on top of all that, Frasier had a lot of well known guest stars, especially with the phone calls.  Yet, I am pretty sure that those big stars were always playing a character as opposed to Niles and Daphne going "look--famous person."  That's different than how Cheers operated where it can be a bit distracting to watch reruns and see the cameos.  Nothing says "this show took place 35 years ago) quite like seeing Tip O'Neill stop into the bar. 

On 1/17/2017 at 6:47 PM, Tunia said:

I didn't like "Ham Radio" either...as I quietly slink away, dodging flying tomatoes.

Ha.  My confession is that I like Ham Radio but I don't like it as much as other Frasier fans do so I can't even take an "unpopular opinion" route with it and say I didn't like it.  It's fine.  It makes me laugh.  I like it enough and if I were to list my favorite Frasier episodes from 1-however many their were, it'd rank in the top half.  But I don't get excited about it the way I do with The Ski Lodge, The Matchmaker, The Flour Child, The Two Mrs. Cranes or even Are You Being Served?  where I live for the "hot and foamy" moment.  (Man, this show could build to a joke.)

On 2/2/2017 at 9:47 PM, LaChavalina said:

Frasier's constant dithering over relationships also really drags things down. My favorite love interest for him was Kate Costas (Mercedes Ruehl). It's a shame they destroyed her character on the way out.

I didn't think they destroyed her.  I kind of liked how it went where they were fuck buddies, then they both realize how much they want to be in a relationship just as she's about to leave only to realize that they really don't have much in common while her plane is delayed. 

On 3/15/2017 at 5:46 PM, chessiegal said:

I watched the finale too. That scene where Niles walks out of the Vet's office feeding the monkey a bottle is priceless. This show is so well done. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep, so ended up watching Cheers. I enjoyed Cheers, but it pales by comparison to Frasier.

I love the Diane years of Cheers.  First couple of seasons are eminently rewatchable for me.  But I do think it became almost generic the longer it went on.  Frasier's quality lasted longer, IMO.  And yes, it did have some off seasons but I recently watched some of those off seasons recently and was surprised by how much the episodes could still make me laugh.  More than I thought they would. 

On 7/28/2017 at 10:29 AM, ennui said:

I thought it was interesting to see him say that he'd be interested in doing a reunion show but felt it'd be too expensive.  Given that Frasier still reruns, I bet the money could be found--especially if the Will & Grace reboot goes well.

But NBC does want to do it. I think the hold up is that none of the creators seem to want to do it.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6

Frasier was one of my least favorite characters on Cheers and I really didn't think a spinoff about him would interest me.  But then I caught Coffee With Niles when it first aired while I was doing homework and I ended up really liking it.  I thought it was so smart to hire DHP (who I already loved) and make the brothers similar.  I watched the reruns that summer.  (Reruns, remember those?)

My mom said the same thing before "Frasier" began. I was just a little kid when "Cheers" was originally airing, so I only had vague memories of it and have only seen a few episodes here and there since then. I'd like to sit down and watch the series in full sometime, though.

As for "Frasier" hiring DHP on the basis of his resemblance to Grammer, I saw a clip from shortly after Frasier joined the cast of "Cheers", and yeah, brilliant casting decision, for sure. The similarities are uncanny

What I find the most amazing about the casting for "Frasier" is how they only wound up having to audition one of the five main characters in the end. It was just sheer dumb luck that they managed to pre-approve four actors who just happened to wind up clicking remarkably well together. And then they were lucky to come across somebody like Gilpin to round it all out. One of those real "stars aligning" sorts of deals. 

When I eventually rewatched the series, I also found myself low key shipping Roz and Niles and wonder if they should have gone there.  They were terrific with their fake relationship in Decoys. 

You know, I've always been kinda intrigued by this idea, too :D! I love how they became much friendlier towards each other as the show went on, and how their teasing and jokes became more affectionate in nature. They had some great scenes together. 

As for Niles and Daphne, I didn't really come into watching "Frasier" until the late '90s, myself, when I was a teenager-I started catching reruns on a local affiliate and also followed the then current seasons on NBC. But those two hooked me in right away. They're one of my oldest ships, and they'll always have a place in my heart. I remember watching "Something Borrowed" the night it aired, all eager to find out how it'd play out. 

I also like the idea of Frasier/Roz, myself, but ultimately I do think it's good the show didn't go there, as it would've been a bit too "neat and pat" an ending in some ways. I'll agree with you on Frasier/Lilith, though. I totally understand why they never got back together on the show, of course, but there is an undeniable chemistry between them, for sure, and they get each other in ways nobody else really does. And, of course, they have Frederick. 

There were a lot of jokes related to Niles or Frasier being mistaken for being gay but they didn't really go the gay panic route. (I think the fact that some of the creators were gay may have influenced this). Even the Roz jokes tended to have a friendly feeling, except for the jokes between Roz and Niles when they disliked one another.  But the feeling was mutual and Roz never had a problem holding her own. 

Agreed. With the gay-themed jokes, it was more that they were poking fun at people's ridiculous misconceptions and stereotypical beliefs about gay people than anything else. 

And I loved how Roz never apologized for having such an active sex life, and was able to call the guys out when they got all judgmental towards and mocked her about it. 

But on top of all that, Frasier had a lot of well known guest stars, especially with the phone calls.  Yet, I am pretty sure that those big stars were always playing a character as opposed to Niles and Daphne going "look--famous person."  .

Again, fully agreed. It's fun to watch the credits and see what celebrities "called in" that season. There's a lot of names I wouldn't have expected to see pop up in there. And from what I've read about the celebrity callers elsewhere, I especially like how some of the problems the callers had tended to relate somehow to the actors in question, or a character they were well known for, or something to that effect (like, for instance, Mary Tyler Moore being a caller who wanted to ask her boss for a raise, which was the sort of problem her character on the "Mary Tyler Moore" show would've had to deal with). It was a very subtle, clever "wink wink" thing.

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 6

The funny thing about the "gay" plots were that Martin usually contributed the least enlightened views (like gay guys don't have big muscles) while John Mahoney was actually gay.

I found it kind of weird when Frasier and Roz hooked up, they didn't actually show any of the lead up. Of course, sudden embraces are kind of hackneyed anyway. I think they wanted to portray the idea that two people with sexual tension can get together and then just drop it, which is mostly what happened.

• Love 1

I always loved how normal and human the show was towards gay people. When Frasier realized he'd inadvertently led on his new boss, they had a really level headed talk about it, with the boss jokingly assuring Frasier "I will love again." In later seasons the same thing happened with Martin and an older man he'd met at the theater while Frasier was hitting on the guy's niece. There was also a subplot where Niles had to pretend to be Martin's boyfriend, and the joke was that he was annoyed that the others thought he couldn't do better than an old man. The show was a really great example of how to make gay jokes without actually making gay people the butt of them. I think that contributes to the continued freshness of the humor. 

• Love 7

Along those lines of the comments, I also liked how they didn't play the "gay panic" that was so common on sitcoms. There was no freaking out that they were perceived as gay, so that also helps with the show not looking dated. This is why Friends doesn't hold up as well as Fraiser to me. I didn't watch Friends, but it's on ALL THE TIME now so I've seen a few episodes. What stands out to me is how the male characters are always trying to prove how "straight" they are and overreact to anything that could be perceived as "gay". It's so ridiculous but reminds me of what I saw in shows at the time. It's nearly 20 years later and Fraiser still holds up. That's amazing!

I still marvel at the strength of the writing for the show and how well crafted it was from beginning to end. There were some dips in quality but we are already talking about a top-notch show, so our expectations were already pretty high! It feels wrong to compare current shows to Fraiser when I consider it to be one of the best-written shows on tv, that I have seen. 

Fraiser is the show I would take with me if I were stranded on a desert island. First it's a great show and second so many episodes!

Edited by msani19
  • Love 10

On the gay themed issue, there is also the episode "The Doctor Is Out" where Patrick Stewart thinks Frasier is gay (due to him wearing Niles' squash shorts into a gay bar looking for Roz's boyfriend--the set up can be complicated too on this show!), and is courting Frasier.  When Frasier is finally forced to realize that he's dating another man and not just friends, he actually considers it for a moment, since the other perks are so great, but then doesn't go through with it, obviously.  But there was no clearer place where they could have gone gay panic and yet deliberately chose not to.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

I always loved how normal and human the show was towards gay people. When Frasier realized he'd inadvertently led on his new boss, they had a really level headed talk about it, with the boss jokingly assuring Frasier "I will love again." In later seasons the same thing happened with Martin and an older man he'd met at the theater while Frasier was hitting on the guy's niece. There was also a subplot where Niles had to pretend to be Martin's boyfriend, and the joke was that he was annoyed that the others thought he couldn't do better than an old man. The show was a really great example of how to make gay jokes without actually making gay people the butt of them. I think that contributes to the continued freshness of the humor. 

I love how worried Frasier is that he lead the Boss on. It was really nice and he really feels bad about it. I don't think that happens on other shows either. 

• Love 5
On 8/23/2017 at 4:43 PM, ketose said:

The funny thing about the "gay" plots were that Martin usually contributed the least enlightened views (like gay guys don't have big muscles) while John Mahoney was actually gay.

And yet even then, Martin showed some growth in that area as time went on, too. Zulu mentioned the episode where Martin met the uncle of a woman Frasier was interested in-I like how Martin tried to find a way to let the guy down that didn't hurt his feelings, and how he was able to genuinely bond with him over the ups and downs that come with raising children, and agreed to take him home so Frasier and his date could have some time to themselves. Even the fact he was willing to go along with pretending to have a boyfriend showed the idea of being gay, or being mistaken for gay, didn't bother him as much as it might've at one time. 

Same with the way he tried to reassure Frasier in the episode where he was obsessing over the meaning of his erotic dreams about Gil. Yeah, Martin got all awkward once he found out the true nature of the dreams, but it was also clear through their talk at the end that if Frasier were gay, Martin would still love and support him. 

13 hours ago, msani19 said:

I still marvel at the strength of the writing for the show and how well crafted it was from beginning to end. There were some dips in quality but we are already talking about a top-notch show, so our expectations were already pretty high! It feels wrong to compare current shows to Fraiser when I consider it to be one of the best-written shows on tv, that I have seen. 

Fraiser is the show I would take with me if I were stranded on a desert island. First it's a great show and second so many episodes!

Hear, hear! I've read stuff here and there about what it was like to work on a typical episode of this show, and they really had the whole thing running like a well-oiled machine if those stories are anything to go by. There was so much thought and care put into crafting the show, and it comes through so well. I've always said the sign of a good comedy is when it can still make you laugh no matter how many times you've watched the show and heard the jokes. "Frasier" is a perfect example of that in action. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5

I'm one of those fans, what loves "Ham Radio".  I just laugh without stopping, every time, including tonight; up to & including Niles's final meltdown ("Will the McAllister sisters stand back-to-back, I'm short  on bullets!").

• Love 8

I love that episode, too :D. The whole thing with Gil trying his damndest to sneak his big speech in, the ice cream truck, and yes, Niles just finally getting all fed up...it's a classic.

I also like Daphne and Martin's comments to each other as they're listening at home. "This is turning into a bloodbath!" And this bit before the play begins:

Daphne: "I already know the plot, but I'll try not to blurt out the name of the murderer."

Martin: "Good. As a cop, I always hated it when people did that." 

• Love 5

I like Ham Radio, but I don't love it.  But I do think these are some of the best parts of it.

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I also like Daphne and Martin's comments to each other as they're listening at home. "This is turning into a bloodbath!" And this bit before the play begins:

Daphne: "I already know the plot, but I'll try not to blurt out the name of the murderer."

Martin: "Good. As a cop, I always hated it when people did that." 

• Love 7
On 7/28/2017 at 4:06 PM, Annber03 said:

Interesting read. This part about Moose made me so sad:

Moose had gotten so old and gray that in his last appearance on the show the make-up department painted his faded markings back on, and he just got to sit on the couch and take it easy, since he couldn't really perform anymore.

Awwww :(. 

Moose used to bit John Mahoney?  BAD Moose!  LOL, really, I get it, I had a Jack Russell Terrier, and those little guys can be GIANT handfuls!  

I see that he made $10,000 per episode as Eddie...I'm taking my dog for acting lessons ASAP!

http://www.readersdigest.ca/home-garden/pets/10-millionaire-pets-and-their-furry-fortuned-tales/6/

• Love 4
On 8/27/2017 at 6:46 AM, aquarian1 said:

I like Ham Radio, but I don't love it.  But I do think these are some of the best parts of it.

I just got back from the dentist and my mouth is all numb, so I'm watching this and trying to say "muppipuh murduweh!" along with Roz.

• Love 5

I'm doing a re-watch for the 3rd or 4th time, and just finished watching The Show Must Go Off, where Frasier and Niles produce a one-man show of their favorite factor. Whenever I think of my favorite episodes or moments from the show, this one never makes the list, and yet I die laughing every time I see it. Jackson Hedley's moans and whimpers during his opening monoloque, plus all the backstage shenanigans to try to stop the show from starting - HILARIOUS. Especially his delivery when he's leaving Frasier's apartment "Stiffen the sinews. Summon up the blood. Disguise fair natURE with hard favored Raiiiiiiiige!"
One of the best guest stars for sure.

• Love 6

That is such a good episode. You're right, it shows so perfectly the difficulty that comes with ending a marriage, even if you know deep down it's the right thing to do.  I also love the interaction between the brothers throughout, with Niles' frustration over Frasier meddling going up against Frasier genuinely wanting to help his brother. 

(And on the flip side, I also love the sheer relief on Niles' face when he sees Frasier's arrived to help him find Maris.)

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 3

"Well, I've lost all credibility here, Dad, why don't you say something?"

The stuff with Niles tossing the vases around and everyone arguing over which ones to break and not break are a nice bit of levity, too. Especially when Marta joins in. 

• Love 4
On 8/23/2017 at 0:32 AM, Irlandesa said:

I remember not wanting Niles and Daphne to get together at first.  I was loving the "unseen Maris" so much.  I always pictured her as Valerie Mahaffey who co-starred with DHP on the hilarious but short lived The Powers That Be.  In fact, the first scene from this clip about his character's suicidal tendencies instantly became a classic for me.  One of those scenes that will make me always remember this show.

Oh my god, yes. I always pictured her when they talked about Maris.

• Love 2