Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Hacky Sack and a Beautiful Experience

paulvdb

1 hour ago, SirFilligryFlirt said:

Christy isn't likable at all anymore. 

Christie needs more than AA and GA programs.  With her multiple addictions and low self-esteem she appears to need many, many hours of therapy.  I have a feeling the show will address that before season's end.  Sheesh, even Bonnie is more stable these days.  And I'm tired of the show dumping on Wendy, the team mascot.  It's gotten old.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
Edited because I wasn't sure if Christie was doing NA but she did join GA last year.
  • Love 16
Just now, Winston Wolfe said:

Christie needs more than AA and NA programs.  With her multiple addictions and low self-esteem she appears to need many, many hours of therapy.  I have a feeling the show will address that before season's end.  Sheesh, even Bonnie is more stable these days.  And I'm tired of the show dumping on Wendy, the team mascot.  It's gotten old.

Therapy sessions with Kristy would be fun to watch. I have no idea how she could afford one, but this has real potential for an episode or an arc.  

• Love 7

There are many smokers in my extended family, but all of them can sit through a 1-2 hour meal without taking a cigarette break. If Christy needs to smoke all the time, she's just replacing one (or two, in her case) addiction with another and isn't really making any progress.

The hug lady plot was ridiculous, but the scenes at the bar were great. I rarely like Bonnie and Adam together, but this episode was an exception.

• Love 11

This topic hits close to home. We have a poker party every New Years Eve and there are quite a few smokers who attend. It is in our basement and when my daughter is not there, we allow them to smoke and just open the basement window (we have a finished basement). A few years ago, my daughter came and we created a smoking area in our garage - comfy, warm. But the smokers complained and two of them actually made excuses the next year assuming they wouldn't be able to smoke in the basement. Well, my daughter had a baby last year and wanted to spend NYE with her family/long time friends so nobody could smoke in the basement but this year, nobody complained because it was for the baby, not my adult daughter's preference. It is always a touchy subject with them because we have to stop playing poker every so often for people to take a smoke break. Thus - we have to wait on the smokers.

• Love 3

Man, Jill looked great in that white Sari (cultural approbriation notwithstanding). And the scene where Tammy had to keep her from going after Christy was hilarious. I think the group is too accomodating when it comes to Christy's smoking. It's clearly a sign of deeper issues that need to be addressed and not just some light recreational self-harm that disrupts the group's social outings.

Loved Bonnie and Adam together and hope the Bar will finally take off.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

With her multiple addictions and low self-esteem she appears to need many, many hours of therapy. 

I would love it if they could get Jane Lynch to reprise her role of Charlie's therapist from Two and a Half Men.  She was a riot!!

• Love 17

I would love it if they could get Jane Lynch to reprise her role of Charlie's therapist from Two and a Half Men.  She was a riot!!

Yes!  I was hoping she would get her own spin-off from Men.  Having her on this show would be great, and maybe she could get a spin-off from this one!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Man, Jill looked great in that white Sari (cultural approbriation notwithstanding). And the scene where Tammy had to keep her from going after Christy was hilarious. 

I had to rewind Tammy grabbing Jill

and both ending on the floor!😂. I think Tammy is fitting into the group nicely. Christy OTOH is becoming unwatchable.

Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • Love 10

I didn't get the whole hug lady thing. That seemed stupid. I wonder if Adam's bar will end up being a success after all. I liked that the customers who showed up wanted to see the dog. I'd forgotten all about him until this episode, we haven't seen him in awhile.

Yes, clearly Christie has a problem. There was plenty of time for her to smoke before everyone was already in the car waiting for her. I hope they drop this storyline soon. (Also: Anna Faris does not look realistic in the smoking scenes.)

• Love 7
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

when it comes to Christy's smoking. It's clearly a sign of deeper issues that need to be addressed and not just some light recreational self-harm that disrupts the group's social outings.

This is where the show falls short, a program of recovery does not consist solely on meeting attendance.  There is hardly any conversations about the 12 steps.  Christie makes a lot of meetings but I don't see her changing at all.  One of AA's co- founders Dr. Bob Smith described the steps as 'finding God, cleaning house, helping others'.  I don't see Christie doing any of these, except begrudgingly paying Jill back!

• Love 3

I get the hug thing.  I've worked tangentially to manual therapists (like massage therapists) for much of my career and some of them can be really into "energy" and they also like to hug.  I am not into energy or hugs but sometimes I will hug.  One time there was a woman whose hugs were just beyond.  It's hard to describe them. They weren't lingering or engulfing or tight or sexual, they were just weirdly relaxing and centering.  It sounds woo woo because it is.  But she could make money off of those hugs. I haven't had one like it before or since.

I empathized with the group when Christie came back in from smoking and wanted a recap of what she missed. There is nothing worse than that.  I had less sympathy when they gave the tickets to the one person who I'm sure took multiple smoke breaks while waiting.

• Love 3

I thought Christy was going to convince the hug woman to come out into the hallway to hug her friends, only to find that they'd ditched her.

But that didn't happen. Did Christy even try to convince the woman to hug the others? I wouldn't put it past her to forget about them and just stand there basking in her own bliss.

None of that made sense. Christy took her cigarette break when they were next in line? No one thought to stop her? And why was she the one holding the tickets again?

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I thought Christy was going to convince the hug woman to come out into the hallway to hug her friends, only to find that they'd ditched her.

But that didn't happen. Did Christy even try to convince the woman to hug the others? I wouldn't put it past her to forget about them and just stand there basking in her own bliss.

None of that made sense. Christy took her cigarette break when they were next in line? No one thought to stop her? And why was she the one holding the tickets again?

after what she did to them she should have had the hug lady hug her friends not her. she is getting really unlikeable. i never thought i would like bonnie more. and i love love love tammy!

• Love 5

The thing is, the hug lady just had an official hugging session with hundreds of people. She did her gig. Frankly, I think it was kind of an obnoxious ask of Christy to even ask for one in the bathroom. There was a process. They missed it (because of her). Asking the woman to go out and hug the rest would have been Christy STILL being inconsiderate, but this time of the hug lady's time and boundaries instead of her friends. So I'm ok with her not asking the woman to go hug them all. Especially if where they were waiting seems to not even be on the way out for the hug lady since she never passed the friends.

It was dumb and annoying the event did the whole one-ticket-per-party that says how many of them there are, and they were stupid to let Christy hold it given the theme was she keeps taking smoke breaks, but that's a realistic annoying thing to happen. Everyone would be kicking themselves "why did we let her hold it! We should've claimed to be five separate parties of one!" etc. Sometimes sitcom hijinx feel forced to me, but not thinking through that one and her leaving at JUST the right moment felt to me more like a thing that really happens and you kick yourself for it.

• Love 6

I don't really know the rules here, but doesn't Christy's smoking mean that she's no longer sober? After five years? Or does that not count because it's not alcohol or marijuana? I don't know, it just feels like the show should be treating this more seriously. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

The thing is, the hug lady just had an official hugging session with hundreds of people. She did her gig. Frankly, I think it was kind of an obnoxious ask of Christy to even ask for one in the bathroom. There was a process. They missed it (because of her). Asking the woman to go out and hug the rest would have been Christy STILL being inconsiderate, but this time of the hug lady's time and boundaries instead of her friends. So I'm ok with her not asking the woman to go hug them all. Especially if where they were waiting seems to not even be on the way out for the hug lady since she never passed the friends.

While that's true, she had just "saved" Hug by giving her toilet paper. I thought the hug was repayment. But I think it would have shown growth in Christy if she had asked Hug Lady to go hug Jill, who was the one who was really eager for the experience instead of asking for a hug for herself. But, as most of you have mentioned, Christy is becoming the worst, so of course she only thought of herself. It's a pity because I really was rooting for Christy in the beginning, when she was someone who just seemed to be unable to get out of her own way but was really, really trying to be a better person. I don't think that about her anymore. She's just kind of pathetic and selfish. 

I did like Bonnie and Adam this ep, which is not something I ever thought I'd say since I'm not a fan of them as a couple. But I guess in contrast to Christy's storyline I found theirs more intersting. Plus... a dog! Dogs make everything better. 

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I don't really know the rules here, but doesn't Christy's smoking mean that she's no longer sober? After five years? Or does that not count because it's not alcohol or marijuana? I don't know, it just feels like the show should be treating this more seriously. 

Transferring an addiction from drugs and alcohol to other substances is very common among recovering addicts. Caffeine and cigarettes are generally viewed as more acceptable. Technically Christy is still sober but she still an addict looking for a fix.  I hope they are planning on going somewhere with this because she hasn’t addressed the real problem. 

Anna Farris is the least believable smoker that I have ever seen on tv.

Christy is really unlikeable right now but everything else worked. I particularly loved everything with Jill.

It is interesting Jill has become the one calling Christy out on her bad behavior this season. From this episode you would think that Jill was Christy sponser rather than the other way around. 

22 hours ago, Blakeston said:

It looked like they were let in as a large group. It seemed like a line where you sit in one place for a long time which would make it hard to judge when it would be your turn. Christy had the tickets because she was at the front of the group and the usher handed it to her. 

Edited by Guest

Whenever I've been handed tickets for a group of people I was with, I always handed them out as soon as I got them. Especially if I was going to be in and out. 

Christy might be thoughtless enough to stuff them in her purse, but I can't imagine Jill not wanting her ticket.

• Love 4

It was interesting to me that Jill was the one in most need of the hug and spiritual renewal. On the surface, now that she is back on the wagon she has the most advantage.    She is fabulously wealthy, very attractive according to the conversations of American society, and has a good group of friends. I know it was dissapointing she could never have a child but children can create heartbreak as well as joy, particularly after they are grown. The fifty year old lady who just got out of jail seems happier than Jill. She did look great in that Sari.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, theatremouse said:

It was dumb and annoying the event did the whole one-ticket-per-party that says how many of them there are, and they were stupid to let Christy hold it given the theme was she keeps taking smoke breaks, but that's a realistic annoying thing to happen. Everyone would be kicking themselves "why did we let her hold it! We should've claimed to be five separate parties of one!" etc. Sometimes sitcom hijinx feel forced to me, but not thinking through that one and her leaving at JUST the right moment felt to me more like a thing that really happens and you kick yourself for it.

I absolutely agree with you on the one hand that Christy asking the woman to hug all of her friends would have seemed like taking advantage of and infringing on Hug Lady's time. 

On the other hand, I would have liked to have seen Christy try to stop and put Jill first. But no. It was not only just about Christy getting the hug, but then she dicked around in the restroom, further wasting everyone's time. She's awful.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Whenever I've been handed tickets for a group of people I was with, I always handed them out as soon as I got them. Especially if I was going to be in and out. 

Christy might be thoughtless enough to stuff them in her purse, but I can't imagine Jill not wanting her ticket.

There was only one ticket for the group. I was a bit of a plot contrivance but I found it mostly believable. After Christy was handed the ticket Jill was distracted by trying to bribe the usher and then Bonnie called. There were enough distractions I can see how they didn’t see the problem coming. 

7 hours ago, jmonique said:

I absolutely agree with you on the one hand that Christy asking the woman to hug all of her friends would have seemed like taking advantage of and infringing on Hug Lady's time. 

On the other hand, I would have liked to have seen Christy try to stop and put Jill first. But no. It was not only just about Christy getting the hug, but then she dicked around in the restroom, further wasting everyone's time. She's awful.

Exactly how I feel. Christy has just ruined the planned activity and was told that she was selfish but her first thought was of herself. Someone who truly felt bad would have at least attempted to get Jill a hug. 

Edited by Guest

Is it me or does it seem like Christy's downward spiral started to begin when her bitch of a daughter blamed her for all of her problems in her life and went on about how screwed up she was and never gave her credit for cleaning up her life and never wanted to see her again or have anything to do with her? At least to me that is what it looks like and it keeps getting worse. I know that they won't acknowledge it but I wonder if that is why Christy is beginning to become more selfish and self-centered. Either way, Christy DOES need therapy and someone who can help her with her issues with a therapist that is blunt but not rude. I can see a relapse happening when it all comes to a head. Somebody needs to suggest this to her. Make her see that even if life knocks her back, she can't become self-absorbed and not care about anything to fight back against it.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Amazee-Dayzee said:

Is it me or does it seem like Christy's downward spiral started to begin when her bitch of a daughter blamed her for all of her problems in her life and went on about how screwed up she was and never gave her credit for cleaning up her life and never wanted to see her again or have anything to do with her? At least to me that is what it looks like and it keeps getting worse. I know that they won't acknowledge it but I wonder if that is why Christy is beginning to become more selfish and self-centered.

No.  I think Christy's descent started when she got rejected by every law school she applied to.  At that time, she was in a relationship with Adam's brother who was stable and into her.  A few weeks after her rejections, she started making decisions that were self-sabotaging.  Patrick came to see her for his 54th birthday and she twice chose to hold Jill's hand over spending time with him even though there were other people who could help Jill. Those decisions led to a break up.  Then, when Patrick moved on with someone else, she acted like the victim in that relationship. Eventually, she started gambling and gambled away Bonnie's bail money and her expensive graduation gift.

She gets into law school and goes to Gambler's Anonymous but, at the beginning of this season, she decides she doesn't need to go to GA any longer and basically has to be strong armed into going back.  She is affronted by what Jill does with the money Christy pays her over her debt.

So the almost slip-up, the gambling and the selfishness all pre-date hearing Violet's podcast.  BTW, listening to Violet's podcast (which she acknowledged were all true stories) and forcing Violet to talk to her were all decisions Christy made.  They weren't forced on her. The only terrible habit she picked up on after that incident was the smoking. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Amazee-Dayzee said:

Is it me or does it seem like Christy's downward spiral started to begin when her bitch of a daughter blamed her for all of her problems in her life and went on about how screwed up she was and never gave her credit for cleaning up her life and never wanted to see her again or have anything to do with her? At least to me that is what it looks like and it keeps getting worse. I know that they won't acknowledge it but I wonder if that is why Christy is beginning to become more selfish and self-centered. Either way, Christy DOES need therapy and someone who can help her with her issues with a therapist that is blunt but not rude. I can see a relapse happening when it all comes to a head. Somebody needs to suggest this to her. Make her see that even if life knocks her back, she can't become self-absorbed and not care about anything to fight back against it.

In addition to the downward spiral described in @Irlandesa’s post Christy has been prone to self destructive behavior since the first episode. Through the first 5 and a half seasons she had an affair with her married boss, gambled away the rent money, dated an alcoholic, shoplifted, slept with Marjorie’s nephew after being warned not to, and slept with a class mate while dating Patrick. Then for the last season it has been one bad decision after the next. 

Hopefully this is leading towards Christy dealing with her tendency to self sabotage. 

Edited by Guest
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, Mr. Meatball Man said:

No.  Not at all.  There's a long standing joke about how to find an AA meeting - just look for the crowd of people standing outside of a church, chain smoking and gunning coffee.  Taking away caffeine and cigarettes from some in recovery would not work.  Nicotine and caffeine are stimulants, but are a whole different ballgame from alcohol and drugs.

• Love 7