Type keyword(s) to search

Station 19 - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

I was annoyed about Andy trying to shut down the offer of a campaign manager for Travis. /

I suspect Andy and the campaign manager may end up dating.  Unless he's already said he's gay and I didn't hear it.

I thought they wrapped up Jack's spiral pretty well.  I'm not saying he's out of the woods, but it's clear to me that he's ready to get better.

I feel bad for Maya, she's clearly going through a lot and is in a bad mental place, but I really wish I cared more at this point. Who am I even supposed to be rooting for in the Becket VS Maya feud? Becket is an asshole but so is Maya, but I guess I'm supposed to be rooting for her? Lets not forget her time as captain was not exactly the success she seems to remember it as, her leadership style seems to be either "yelling" and/or "condescending." Theo calling Becket and Maya both out was good, he was the best person to do it, he knows the situation but he's enough of an outsider that he can be more objective. 

What is the endgame for the Travis story? He loses and Dixon becomes mayor and he continues to whine about him, or he wins and he leaves the firehouse or immediately resigns as mayor? I keep waiting to hear about whoever the democrat candidate is, I guess this unnamed person might win? Or are we stuck with this stupid waste of time story just so that Andy can get a new love interest? 

Jack is just such a mess, between him and Maya this season is just brutal to watch. At least he got a much needed hug from Pru and he might finally be done with Eva. What an awful unpleasant garbage person she is. 

• Love 5

This show is getting stale, and I might bail after this season.  I wish they'd pay more attention to the rescues and less about their personal lives.

I'm tired of Maya/Carina and their issues.

I don't care about Sullivan and the captain.

I'm not looking forward to Andy hooking up with the British campaign manager, and I don't care about the election.

I don't like how they treat Beckett.  He might be somewhat of an asshole, but I don't think he's any worse than the rest of the crew.  I don't even remember Vic's firefighter boyfriend's name, but I guess he hates Beckett because he doesn't five out gold stars and lollipops to the firefighters. 

I would like to see how Jack's story plays out, but that's about it.

• Love 4

I knew that girl was going to end up being Jack's sister. I thought maybe the foster sister he never found, who has also been looking for him, but then her comment about not being wanted in someone's life made it clear it was a biological sister.

It would be nice to see him start to heal and form a relationship with his biological siblings. I get being angry at his parents, but the siblings never even knew he existed. It is clearly not healthy for him to be wallowing in all this misery.

How long is Karina go without taking a pregnancy test while Maya is being a brat?

• Love 6
On 10/28/2022 at 9:02 PM, SilverLake0315 said:

They’ve taken Maya too far down the bad road for me. I no longer care about her and wouldn’t miss her if she left. 

I decided to binge the episodes on my DVR and I found myself actively rooting for Maya to fall to her death from the Ferris Wheel. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

I liked this episode more than other recent ones, probably because there actually were a couple of rescues and I enjoyed that storyline. I don't know who those clueless twits were staffing the front of the clinic but I never need to see them again. Maya continues to be clueless and entirely self-absorbed. I hope Carina leaves and goes back to Grey's instead, and I have never said that before.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I am actually not sure Maya was wrong about Carina being a codependent trying to push Maya into talk therapy when Carina needs to go herself.

I definitely think that Maya has issues. And she needs to be more engaged with Carina and the relationship if they are going to have a child. She can't just check out. But Carina needs to frame it in terms of what she needs, not how she wants Maya to handle Maya's own issues.

"Maya, I am feeling abandoned by you and I need to know that you are going to be consistently available during this pregnancy."

"Maya, when you work too many shifts and don't sleep and get injured, that scares me. I need to know you are not being reckless with your health and safety if we are going to be parents together."

Saying "go to therapy" is too vague, it's not really her job to determine how Maya handles her problems, and Maya going to therapy might not even address Carina's actual needs anyway. They could wind up talking about what's on Maya's mind and never address Carina's priorities anyway!

Carina needs to be specific about her own needs, and not be trying to define Maya's needs. 

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Carina needs to be specific about her own needs, and not be trying to define Maya's needs. 

I don't disagree with anything you said. I also think that Maya is being written as a total jerk lately.

56 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I am actually not sure Maya was wrong about Carina being a codependent trying to push Maya into talk therapy when Carina needs to go herself.

They probably should be going to couple's therapy, considering that they are barely speaking and may be parents in a few months.

And if Maya doesn't think therapy will help her, she should suggest what will. Because she's clearly not in a good place. Carina has issues too, but at least she doesn't seem in danger of getting herself killed.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

They probably should be going to couple's therapy, considering that they are barely speaking and may be parents in a few months.

And if Maya doesn't think therapy will help her, she should suggest what will. Because she's clearly not in a good place. Carina has issues too, but at least she doesn't seem in danger of getting herself killed.

Carina works at Sloan Memorial. I don’t think her survival odds are that much better than Maya’s!

• LOL 3
48 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Is next week another cross-over with Grey's? 

Yep.  Looks like a lightning storm strikes Seattle, so Station 19 will be responding to calls based on that, and then victims will be transported to Grey/Sloan Mercy Death for treatment. 😂

First a tornado, now a lightning storm.  Both weather phenomena which are unusual for Seattle (AFAIK).  Hopefully, that is not a back door climate change message from Shonda 😐

• Hugs 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 2

Are those two annoying volunteer ladies characters from Greys? Its amazing how much every crossover this show does with Greys, the more my choice not to watch Greys anymore is vindicated. 

This episode at least had a few more rescuers, which was a nice change of pace, but we are mostly stuck in all of this long boring dragged out soap opera plots. I don't care about Maya and Carina's drama, I really don't care about Travis running for mayor, I don't care about Sullivan's lady troubles or Andy's awkward flirting with the British guy, the only subplot I am really interested in is Jack's, and even that is starting to feel repetitive. 

I really hope that Jack gets to know his biological family, I think that could be really good for him and it seems like they want to meet him. Its just such a rough situation, but dealing with it and talking to his bio family could hopefully get him out of this rut.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Are those two annoying volunteer ladies characters from Greys? Its amazing how much every crossover this show does with Greys, the more my choice not to watch Greys anymore is vindicated. 

They were guest stars on Grey's a few seasons ago, yes. They accidentally gave pot cookies to the hospital and half the doctors got high.

They are not regulars or anything though. I only remember because they mentioned that they are the ones who got everyone high.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Damn it. I watched Greys because I thought the cross-over meant they'd show us Maya being found, and as it turns out there was basically nothing whatsoever in the Grey's ep that had anything to do with Sta 19.

Ha. I was the opposite of you and sat through all of Station 19 because they kept hyping it up as a Fall Finale Crossover Event and 'tragedy will strike one of their own!', and there was no crossover at all, unless you count the patient from the lightning-struck helicopter being taken to Grey-Sloan and/or the Station 19 crew being called to Meredith Grey's house fire.

• LOL 1

I actually liked the Sta 19 episode, and wish it wasn't the season finale. Also, is it really the season finale? They're not coming back in January?

Also, I've never been scared of lightning the way everyone in this episode was. We get lighting all the time and I've never heard of the kind of carnage they were showing. 

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

Always have to like shows that just run by and never notice their friend has been injured and then see their uniforms/equipment just standing there. Instead of: "Wait! Where are they?" It's: "Oh well, guess they went home or something." Something about Maya's self destruction, her trying to be Hussain Bolt was just laughable and the way she fell, she more likely tore a ligament than fall like that and knock herself out on the treadmill. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I actually liked the Sta 19 episode, and wish it wasn't the season finale. Also, is it really the season finale? They're not coming back in January?

It was the usual fall finale. Show is coming back at the end of February.

• Thanks 2
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

When the show teased "tragedy will strike one of their own" I thought someone at Station 19 was going to die.  I'm disappointed.  

I wish Maya had died. 

• Applause 5
  • Love 1

Long post here:

I wanted someone to get struck by lightning while they were trying to get that guy and his chair extracted out of the helicopter.  I wanted Beckett to be right. I know he's an ass and a jerk etc. but everyone else is annoying me so much that I'm rooting for Beckett.

That scene where the whole crew is arguing with Beckett because they just know they are sooo special and can save the guy in the helicopter annoyed the heck out of me.  I mean yes if it's possible they should try and extract the guy so there's a chance he's not paralyzed, but Beckett wasn't wrong if taking the time to extract the guy & the chair increases the risk to the firefighters and the risk to the guy in the helicopter then the correct action is to get the guy out of the helicopter asap. 

I'm sure I was supposed to view that rescue as proof Vic is right that everyone at 19, except Beckett, are over achievers and Beckett is a lazy ass who just wants to get a paycheck. However, I don't think over achievers is how I would describe firehouse 19.... People who have no boundaries with their coworkers and people who have inflated senses of their abilities is how I would describe them. 

I know I'm supposed to be rooting for Andi to become captain of 19, but I don't think she's ready. Also, when she does become captain, she needs to be transferred to a different station. I do not think she can transition from being friends/coworkers to being her old coworker's boss. I thought that was obvious in her scene with Maya. 

On 10/21/2022 at 6:53 PM, txhorns79 said:

I think Andi isn't captain because she's immature, arrogant and belligerent.  Look at this last episode.  Beckett gave her a reasonable command for her to stop wasting water on the battery fire because it was better to let it burn itself out.  Instead of following her superior's order, Andi argued with him, ignored his order and they essentially had to turn the water off to get her to stop. 

I agree with the above. Andi is immature, arrogant and belligerent, but I think I'm supposed see her as a strong individual who stands up for what she feels is right and doesn't take shit from no one.  Lately I'm finding her extremely annoying. 

Whenever Beckett gives her an order, she doesn't agree with she argues with him during a rescue. Or makes a big public scene like the one she made after the battery fire. "If you aren't going to be the captain this firehouse needs and bring us together as a family then I WILL".

Then last night she throws in Beckett face "what happened out there? You froze." I love Becketts answer you wanted to play at being captain, so I let you now go and deal with Maya since you want my job so much.  That was immature on Beckett's part since he should be dealing with Maya; however, what did Andi want from him? To jump in and take orders from her during the helicopter rescue? 

Also, at this point I feel like Andi wouldn't be able to make the tough calls. Say if someone was still trapped in a building and the building was about to come down. Andi would still send firefighters into the building to try and save the person because she would believe in her team's ability to save them. Just like she believed she could put out the battery fire by I guess sheer belief.  

On 11/3/2022 at 7:16 PM, Crashcourse said:

I don't like how they treat Beckett.  He might be somewhat of an asshole, but I don't think he's any worse than the rest of the crew.  I don't even remember Vic's firefighter boyfriend's name, but I guess he hates Beckett because he doesn't five out gold stars and lollipops to the firefighters. 

This-- every time someone brings up that Beckett isn't the captain they need. I think what he's not telling you how wonderful you are? He's not trying to be your BFF? He's not getting involved in your personal business? He's not giving inspirational speeches during recues? 

Would I want him as a boss probably not, but he seems competent in the field. I don't remember any rescue where he really F**ked up. I guess you can point to the helicopter one. but that could be argued was a judgement call to keep everyone safe. 

Beckett deliberately getting Theo's last name Ruiz wrong is an asshole move, but I thought Theo lecturing Beckett on how he needs to talk to the crew in a specific way while they are at an active recue was out of line. If everyone at 19 have such a problem with Beckett, go to HR or have a conversation privately with him.  It probably won't go well, but I can tell you chastising your boss in public is not the way to go.

If I was Beckett and Theo, who use to be a captain, and Andi, who wants to be captain at 19, were constantly telling me how to do my job, I would have an issue with them as well. 

Also, I am over Maya; she's never been exactly a nice person, but she crossed a line when she gave Beckett that alcohol.  And I would be fine if she died.

At this point the only person I'm interested in is Jack and he's the only reason I'm still watching. 

Edited by Fireball
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
On 11/11/2022 at 10:46 AM, possibilities said:

Would Vic taking over management of Crisis One mean she's no longer at Sta 19? 

I wondered about that too.  I also wonder - if Gibson comes back doesn't that mean Andi has to leave because the only reason she returned to Station 19 was because there was a vacancy due to Gibson leaving.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I wondered about that too.  I also wonder - if Gibson comes back doesn't that mean Andi has to leave because the only reason she returned to Station 19 was because there was a vacancy due to Gibson leaving.

Yikes.

Maybe if they fire Beckett, that creates an opening and one of them gets made captain again. Messy, but this show is usually messy.

On 11/12/2022 at 11:19 AM, Fireball said:

Would I want him as a boss probably not, but he seems competent in the field. I don't remember any rescue where he really F**ked up. I guess you can point to the helicopter one. but that could be argued was a judgement call to keep everyone safe. 

I know it's been a while since Beckett first appeared, and no way am I going back to rewatch this show, but I swear he DID mess up on calls more than once last season. Not (just) due to the drinking, but I swear he made some bad calls, not enough to get people killed, but enough where it delayed rescues or had a more negative effect.

I'm also tired of Maya and her issues. Yes, she has issues. Yes, it's clear she is in deep denial of said issues. Yes, she needs to accept help. It's just tiresome to watch. Maybe with this new injury, when we come back in February, she'll be in therapy.

I'm glad Carina isn't pregnant. It avoids the messy "pregnancy while spouse is going through a trauma arc" and also avoids the cliche where Carina tells Maya to get help for their baby. Maya needs to get help for herself, not because of her future child.

I will say, my favourite part of the finale was Ross, Vic and Jack working with the girls. That was nice development for Vic, who has been more underutilized this season, nice development for Ross outside of her shitty relationship with Sullivan, and Jack started to climb out of his depression a little bit.

Theo's been great thus far, but he deserves his own plot. He's been attached to other characters' plots in his few seasons so I'd really love to see him get even more to do. He's been shining thus far.

Travis, either win the election and leave Station 19 or quit so we don't have to continue this stupid political plotline. Please, just end this. I'd love the show if they had the election offscreen and we come back in February to it being over and Travis and Dixon losing.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

Jack's spiral was way messier than Maya's, yet people care about it and not Maya's. It bothers me that they are both running a similar story but it's getting a much different reaction, in-show and out.

Edited by possibilities

For me, it's a different reaction because I never warmed to Maya.  She always annoyed me.  But it's also because Jack left his job for a few months for his spiral.  Maya is right there being mean to everyone.  And she tried to blackmail her boss.  And tried to justify the blackmail when she was called out on it.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
On 11/12/2022 at 11:19 AM, Fireball said:

I agree with the above. Andi is immature, arrogant and belligerent, but I think I'm supposed see her as a strong individual who stands up for what she feels is right and doesn't take shit from no one.  Lately I'm finding her extremely annoying. 

I find this to be true of both Andi (lately) and Maya (all the time).  And I think it is a problem with the writing for the characters, Maya especially.  When I watch this show, and especially with Maya, even from the beginning, I feel as if the writers are breaking the 4th wall to remind me over and over how bad ass Maya as a woman is and how tough and what a competitor she is and how hard she works and how smart she is and oh, she is bi, which is an underrepresented group that is even misunderstood within the LGBTQ+ community.  It always feels like they are telling me she should have all the things. And I am supposed to like and cheer for her.

I got the feeling she was supposed to be Station 19s version of Christina Chang. Except the writing for Maya lacks a lot of Christina's nuanced character.  Instead it just makes Maya come off as belligerent instead of forceful or arrogant instead of confident and entitled instead of qualified.

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Jack's spiral was way messier than Maya's, yet people care about it and not Maya's. It bothers me that they are both running a similar story but it's getting a much different reaction, in-show and out.

This is definitely me.  And I think my assessment of Maya above is largely why I am having a hard time finding any sympathy for her at this point (that and I just never really liked her). I  feel that a lot of the struggle she is going through is coming from a place of entitlement that she isn't getting what she wants and nobody can see that but her.  Her little speech to Andy claiming Andy is trying to "steal" captain from under her just felt bratty.

With Jack, otoh, his is coming from a place where he absolutely has no control over.  To learn what he did the way he did was a gut punch that I know I felt.  Jack's struggle has an  emotional heft that Maya's simply doesn't, imo.

As for the rest of the episode -- I have to say  LOVED how they deployed Ross in this episode.  THIS is what I want to see from her, not an old replayed taboo romance (hello Ripley and Vic) that we already had. 

I am wondering if they are setting it up so that Beckett really does mess up and gets ousted and Theo is tapped for Captain?  He certainly would be a good option.  He already had the role, it gives him something to do on his own, it stops it from being a de facto thing that only Andy or Maya deserve or is theirs for the taking. And he seems to be the one that has a clearer eye about personnel and even if he is peers with them now, I somehow don't get the vibe that he'd confuse his friendship with authority the way I could definitely see Andy doing.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Love 4

If Theo makes Captain, it would also work with Vic getting promoted to run Crisis One-- they would be closer to the same organizational level, and not boss-subordinate.

I also really liked Ross in charge this episode, and continue to hate her relationship with Sullivan, and also I really can't stand Sullivan anyway. 

• Love 6

Ross and her secret relationship with Sullivan is so lame, that I forgot that she's a pretty good character when the show focuses on her doing her job. I hope that this really is the end for her and Sullivan, she's way better when she's on the job than when she's sneaking around like a teenager. 

Maya sounded so petty when she was accusing Andi of trying to "steal" being captain from her, she's like an angry toddler throwing a fit when she doesn't get her way, never accepting the consequences of her own actions. I really just don't get the writing for Maya, the show seems to think we should root for her, because she had an abusive father, because she's a woman in a male dominated field, because she's from an oppressed minority, but they also write her as being so awful so often its hard to want to see her succeed. I would like to see some real growth from her, but its always one step forward two steps back. 

I know that Dixon is the worst person ever, but Travis is hardly the better candidate. I wish they would just drop this stupid storyline after Andi inevitably hooks up with campaign manager guy and never speak of it again. It might be the most ill conceived plot the show has come up with, and that's really saying something.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Is she?  What is her background?

She's bisexual. She really likes to blame her being a bisexual woman on why she hasn't been promoted. Not the fact that she sucks as a leader regardless of sexuality or gender. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Well, that was an underwhelming and, honestly, jarring episode. None of the three plots fit together tonally. They were all so over the place, it was jarring to go from one scene to another.

One plot (the ladies) were comedic relief. They treated that plot as a light-hearted funny plot.

Then it would shift to the next plot (the police vs kid). That one they treated like they usually treat heavy dramatic storylines: preachy and borderline overdramatized, but presented in a way that it should be handled similarly in real life. AKA, the message was correct, the execution was poorly written.

And then it shifted to the next plot (Maya/Carina). That was better than the other two plots, but also very tonally different than the other two, where it was treated as some sort of relationship drama show. Honestly, it WAS the best of the three plots, it was well acted and more subtle than the police brutality arc, but still a bit heavy handed.

Maya's arc is frustrating to watch BUT I will give the actress credit and I do appreciate that she's not just 100% ok and it'll take some time. But I really don't like her attitude and hope Carina doesn't accept her back as quickly as she did with the cheating.

Jack is now randomly back, even though he clearly needs to still be evaluated after he up and quit for months. 

Ross was a lot better this episode; apparently, Sullivan is the catalyst in the issues surrounding his relationships. He brought Andy down and now he's bringing Ross down. 

• Like 2

I think the show deliberately has different stories with different tones. They probably fear being considered too much of one or the other, so they mix it up. Lots of shows do this via characters (the straight man, the comic relief character, etc), but this one does it via plots.

I am grateful they didn't make me watch Greys in order to find out what happened to Bishop at the hospital.

• Like 3

I thought it was lazy that the writers had Maya asking if Carina was going to 5150 her. That's a California code, writers, and Maya and Carina are supposed to be in Seattle.

Agreed that Jack needs to be evaluated more than just, "so, you still got the outfit? Wanna come back?"

I did get a kick out of seeing Sharon Gless.

4 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I had no idea 5150 was only CA code. I guess TV has used it so often that I thought it was a standard term all over the psychiatric world.

I mean, it may be more widespread but I am certain it is a CA code. I think it has been adopted perhaps as shorthand so maybe I have to forgive the writers? (Nah.)

1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

I mean, it may be more widespread but I am certain it is a CA code. I think it has been adopted perhaps as shorthand so maybe I have to forgive the writers? (Nah.)

Maybe Maya just had only heard of the CA code, so said that even though it would be a different code in Washington? She is the only one who used the code, so it is not as bad as if one of the doctors or a lawyer did it.

13 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, that was an underwhelming and, honestly, jarring episode. None of the three plots fit together tonally. They were all so over the place, it was jarring to go from one scene to another.

Yes.  It was like three different writers did the A, B and C plots without ever consulting one another about how to make them work.  You can't just go from the super tense stand off between the fire department and police to watching a bunch of elderly women do a fashion show runway walk wearing firefighter outfits. 

13 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Jack is now randomly back, even though he clearly needs to still be evaluated after he up and quit for months. 

Yeah.  Maybe it's just the actor, but I felt like he was playing his character as though he was stoned throughout much of the episode. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Court said:

I don't think it is unique to California. It's the same one they use in Georgia. Unless I've just heard it so often, it has embedded in my brain as code here.

It probably didn't help that the rock group Van Hagar, I mean Van Halen famously had an album entitled 5150 in the 80s 😂 (that was actually the first time I heard that, I didn't know it was a code for mental issues until later)

• Like 1

The problem is, the show constantly paints Dixon as he is the "bad guy" people surrounds himself with are equally bad. Yet you get two in there that are: "No, I don't want to go against the boss. I'll lose my job and I still believe we are doing good." The show would go miles above if they really explained MORE of what goes on with these side characters. Having the "I have to have my hand on my gun all the time" speaks of someone who has had too many situations and is now paranoid to even if a dog looks at him wrong. The other one who "kept stepping" forward is an example of someone ready to pounce, but won't do it unless he is given the nod. Meaning he is prone to being impulsive and now he just waits for an "excuse" to act and be vindicated for his actions. 

I get the show is trying to show the issues of "The times" and I do agree how these people act and get very few consequences until it's so big they can't turn the other way. Then get the whole: "Why did you just sit there when you knew it was wrong and didn't say anything?" Dixon we got the heavy handed origins, he was brought up to do whatever you can to get ahead. Whether that was from doing "favors" or leeching off people like has done with his wife. Even if she sadly is a sadist who enjoys it at times, which is from her upbringing of being born rich. Then the show throws in these one-note "yes-men/women" and there is no story. Just because you have a main or side character calling out all the plot holes, doesn't mean it isn't poorly written.  

I agree that the ladies at the firehouse (while delightful) didn’t go with the other two plots of the episode.

The stand-off is a direct depiction of what happened to Elijah McClain. However in real life, the paramedics did sedate him and he died six days later. 

• Like 4