Type keyword(s) to search

Station 19 - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

I think Travis, Emmett, and campaign manager guy whose name I can't remember are going to become a throuple.

Actually, I don't really think that, because it's network TV. BUT: I think it would be something totally in character, reasonably plausible, and a good way to go.

Did we know about the names under the table before now? I don't remember that, but the show has had enough seasons that me forgetting wouldn't be unusual. 

I hope the fear of contagion doesn't tank the clinic. For sure it's the kind of thing the media would sensationalize and the politics of the city would get freaked out about, and then pull funding for, like they did with the mobile surgical program.

I liked seeing Andy turn "don't negotiate" back on him after Sullivan (guy whose ego is bigger than the Himalayas and who stole drugs from the station and got a program cancelled so obviously the best person to give unsolicited advice to a new captain...) told her that's how she should do things. Though I admit that Sullivan with the kids was the first time I actually liked him. I don't think being a great babysitter makes someone a great clinic supervisor, though. I fear he will cause problems for the domestic violence survivor who Jack was taking care off off-grid. I just don't trust him to care or understand about that enough to keep the safety protocol going.

I kind of like the idea that "if you can't laugh about it, how will you stay sober?" I like also that the show is giving at least a little air to the idea that not everyone uses 12 steps to achieve and maintain sobriety. The program works for some, but not all. Other ways deserve to be given their due. I'm not even sure the show did much for that, but it was a tiny hat tip, at least, which is more than most other places have done.

"Out of the closet and into the pantry" made me laugh. I don't think Emmett should have apologized to Travis for pointing out what was happening, but that was kind of their dynamic so I don't think it was out of character for him to do so.

Also, this might be the first time Travis was the only one on the show shown to be having sex. Two episodes in a row, no less! This will never balance out the decades when the only people NOT having sex were the not-straight characters, but it makes me laugh because, like with acknowledging that not everybody uses 12 Steps, it's kind of a nod toward making amends.

I hope Grey Damon (is that the name of the guy playing Jack?) is enjoying being a woobie with a different twist than the one they usually give him. Will we see Karen (the therapist) again? How is the Department helping him transition to his new life? Andy said they would, but we didn't see that. They told him to pack up his stuff and leave, but they didn't show us anything else about the process-- does he get counseling? Does he get more rehab? What is happening other than dinner?

So far they have mostly only shown that firefighters might die in action. They haven't really shown us permanent disability, which is kind of crazy when you think about it. So I'm not opposed in principle to them showing that, if they do it right. I don't think Jack needed to be the one, though. He already has enough tragedy in his characterization.

I don't know who I would have rather they give this story to, but it feels like Jack has played this note so many times already that the story isn't fresh even if they never did it before.

Carina being sued at the same time as she and Maya get a foster baby... hmmmn. 

• Like 1

You know what's even worse than sleeping with your ex boyfriend with his mom in the room while you already have a boyfriend? Sleeping with your ex boyfriend at his fathers funeral reception while you have a boyfriend. Holy shit guys! 

Poor Jack is just radiating misery, I hope he finds something new where he can still be involved with 19 even if he cant fight fires, this job and his work family is one of the main things keeping the guy going. Can he get just one subplot that isn't ridiculously depressing? 

Ben giving Jack a pep talk as a guy who's changed careers about thirty times was pretty funny at least. 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I am unclear on why Jack can't still run the clinic.

Isn't that only done one day a week or something like that?  I doubt they could justify keeping him on salary for that. 

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I guess this was the week for Travis to double down on his poor choices.

At least this week they shut the door. But didn't close the blinds. I kept expected boyfriend/campaign manager to come back and see.

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Did we know about the names under the table before now? I don't remember that, but the show has had enough seasons that me forgetting wouldn't be unusual. 

I don't remember that, and also wondered when Andy's father could have put his name. Didn't he die in action and not leave?

• Like 1

6 hours ago

I think Travis, Emmett, and campaign manager guy whose name I can't remember are going to become a throuple.

Actually, I don't really think that, because it's network TV. BUT: I think it would be something totally in character, reasonably plausible, and a good way to go.

One of the main characters on 'S.W.A.T.' (CBS network) was part of a throuple for a while, so it could happen. 

• Useful 1

I realize the show films in LA, but if you are going to pretend it is February in Seattle, at least have people act like it is cold.  Also, that seemed like a very sad Pride parade, with like two floats and a very small crowd, but that might just be the show's budget showing.    

• Like 3

Yeah I was really taken out of this episode by everyone running around in summer clothes in what is supposed to be February in Seattle, at least give your actors sweatshirts and gloves. I know the show is filmed in LA but they have to at least be somewhat aware of the fact that places outside of LA have cold weather. 

I had totally forgotten about Travis's dad cheating on his mom with guys, which probably says a lot about how many crazy things happen on this show, especially involving Travis. That makes him cheating even worse, he absolutely deserved to be called out and dumped. 

Are we going to follow up with Maya's brother? 

• Like 2

How does Herrera not get fired as Captain?  Early in the episode, the Chief points out that as Captain Herrera represents the department and was wrong to have gotten into it with protesters at the pride parade.  Herrera's response is not to apologize for the breach of protocol, but to suggest she was in the right to defend her friends.  Later in the same episode, Herrera is openly confrontational with the Chief, claiming the Chief is putting her own interests ahead of what is right for the department.  I just want to be like, Herrera the Chief is your boss, and all you are doing is showing her why you are too much of a hothead to be Captain. 

I also wonder if they setting up Warren to get let go with his back injury, as a way to move him back to Grey's when this show ends in a few weeks.   

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I also wonder if they setting up Warren to get let go with his back injury, as a way to move him back to Grey's when this show ends in a few weeks.   

Isn’t have he due for a career change anyway??    I never expected him to stick to this one for so long.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
29 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

How does Herrera not get fired as Captain?  Early in the episode, the Chief points out that as Captain Herrera represents the department and was wrong to have gotten into it with protesters at the pride parade.  Herrera's response is not to apologize for the breach of protocol, but to suggest she was in the right to defend her friends.  Later in the same episode, Herrera is openly confrontational with the Chief, claiming the Chief is putting her own interests ahead of what is right for the department.  I just want to be like, Herrera the Chief is your boss, and all you are doing is showing her why you are too much of a hothead to be Captain. 

The Chief (whose name I am blanking on) probably doesn't want to switch Captains again so soon after she appointed Andy. She made a big deal out of who she was going to pick, she'd probably look bad admitting she made a mistake.

I don't get why Andy should have to fire someone though. She made a good point that they just lost a person with Jack's injury. Wouldn't they now be down two? But anyway, I assumed she would let go that gray haired background actor who is always in the line up, but then disappears when they have scenes with dialogue.

I thought it was funny that the plot was about budget cuts and the episode seemed to have been filmed in a way that would drastically reduce the budget. They kept showing them leaving for and coming back from emergencies and telling us something bad happened

I too wondered if they would send Warren back to Grey's.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I don't get why Andy should have to fire someone though. She made a good point that they just lost a person with Jack's injury. Wouldn't they now be down two? But anyway, I assumed she would let go that gray haired background actor who is always in the line up, but then disappears when they have scenes with dialogue.

I think the Chief suggested she has too many lieutenants on her squad and that might be where it would be appropriate to cut someone.   

It seems like the sub is the obvious person to be cut. She doesn't care anyway. I guess she's subbing for Maya who's on parental leave, though? So if they fire her sub, does that mean they're getting rid of Maya?

I would think there was some kind of seniority system. They have a union, don't they? How does earning a higher rank make you first in line for layoffs? 

But if Ruiz quit, I guess that settles that question.

I also though Hughes might be pregnant. They already did an abortion story for her, so another unplanned pregnancy wasn't what I would think they'd be scripting for her. I guess Ruiz is the father if she is pregnant. So... I don't know what to think is next. But if she;s not pregnant, then is she depressed? Or sick? Something is definitely wrong here. And Herrera ought to have known enough to ask her, since it's not like Hughes is typically a slacker.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I think the Chief suggested she has too many lieutenants on her squad and that might be where it would be appropriate to cut someone.   

Well, yes, but it's not Andy's fault there are so many lieutenants. She didn't promote any of them or set up the structure, she just got the captain position a couple weeks ago. And if they had promoted her to captain years ago there wouldn't be so many people at 19 who had been made Captain in the meantime and then demoted down to lieutenant.

Seems like the more reasonable move would be to move some around to stations were there are fewer 

• Like 5

Jack is one of my favorite characters on the show and I truly hope - especially with the show ending - that they give him a win on whatever his future holds...for goodness sakes the guy deserves it!  True he has brought a lot of his troubles on himself but he is at heart such a sweet and loving guy.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
On 4/5/2024 at 8:42 PM, Pepper the Cat said:

The reactions to the street car accident were just heartbreaking.

is Hughes pregnant? 

I doubt it. Theo is the only candidate for the father if she is and they’ve already had an unplanned pregnancy that she chose to end. If she didn’t wanna have a baby with Theo when they were dating, I can’t imagine she’d want to have one now that they’ve broke it up.

I missed Jack, I hope he's doing alright in off-screen land, but given his luck he's probably already fallen down an elevator shaft. So I am a bit confused, why do they even need to fire anyone now that Jack is gone? If the issue is that they have too many former captains running around, why not just move some to other houses? I doubt they'll be happy to move, but at least they wont be fired. Has no one mentioned the Union? Or are they bad guys? Essentially every organization in Seattle outside of Station 19 is full of moronic bigotted assholes who only exist to make our heroes lives harder, I cant even remember where we stand with them.

Is it time for Warren to make another career change? 

• Like 2
On 4/9/2024 at 3:01 PM, tennisgurl said:

Has no one mentioned the Union? Or are they bad guys? Essentially every organization in Seattle outside of Station 19 is full of moronic bigotted assholes who only exist to make our heroes lives harder, I cant even remember where we stand with them.

I think the union endorsed Travis for mayor, right? So probably not bad guys. But I may be misremembering.

And that support would have gone to the new mayor, so you'd think they'd be pissed about his cutting their funding.

• Like 1

Grrrr.  I won’t spoil it for anyone who hasn’t seen the episode yet (I watch at 7 eastern), I was so hopeful for a shocking outcome, but the show wussed again.  It is the final season. A good time for drama!

41 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

So what was that Warren was injecting?  Anyone know?

I don't think the drug was specified, but presumably painkillers.  That's the only reason his back suddenly improved from last week.    

Vic's sudden descent into whatever she's going through is freaking me out. It isn't just despair over the cancellation of Crisis One, because it started before that. I can't see her losing her way over the break up with Ruiz. If that's what they are doing, it's not in character at all. So what the hell?

I wanted her outburst at the press conference to lead to the media getting involved in talking about the budget cut more and forcing the mayor's hand on restoring Crisis One. I think it's totally realistic that a great program like that gets cut, but I don't think really understand the way they are handling it in-show. I get that if they don't cut C1, something else will go. But they don't have a lot of episodes left, do they? So I don't like how they are slow walking the story.

I don't want them to do a suicide story for Hughes, and I'm afraid that's what they are going to do.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Vic's sudden descent into whatever she's going through is freaking me out. It isn't just despair over the cancellation of Crisis One, because it started before that. I can't see her losing her way over the break up with Ruiz. If that's what they are doing, it's not in character at all. So what the hell?

I wanted her outburst at the press conference to lead to the media getting involved in talking about the budget cut more and forcing the mayor's hand on restoring Crisis One. I think it's totally realistic that a great program like that gets cut, but I don't think really understand the way they are handling it in-show. I get that if they don't cut C1, something else will go. But they don't have a lot of episodes left, do they? So I don't like how they are slow walking the story.

I don't want them to do a suicide story for Hughes, and I'm afraid that's what they are going to do.

Maybe they'll have Beckett recognize the signs and be the one to save her.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I don't think the drug was specified, but presumably painkillers.  That's the only reason his back suddenly improved from last week.    

So he is basically doing the thing Sullivan did a few season back that got the mobile surgery thing cut? They didn't specify where he got the drug, but I assume it wasn't on the up and up.

• Like 4

I guess Vic is just gong through burnout and that's lading to her having this breakdown, probably not helped by her relationship with Ruiz falling apart because he decided to be a huge asshole and now Crisis One being cut, maybe she needs a few talks with Tracie Thoms?

This is at least a reason for Jack to stay around, but is that really all he is going to be doing now? Be a voice? That really sucks, its weird having the show without him, especially now that Andie is captain at last and could probably use his support. 

These people really cant go anywhere without some kind of emergency. 

That kid who worked at the Space Needle was the best backup Vic was getting, trying to keep the panicking kid calm while he and the husband were freaking out, hopefully he gets a raise.