Type keyword(s) to search

Station 19 - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

I missed the show this week and with the previews indicating the possibility of a major character death, I actually wanted to know what happened before deciding to watch. And now that I know, I don't plan to watch. 

I'm just not up for seeing the death of a character that I really liked. I'm a casual watcher of this show and this doesn't do anything to increase my viewing. I hope the actor is moving on to something great. From Broadway to television, he's already proven that he's talented. Looking forward to seeing him in something else.

• Love 1

This one hurt, they couldn't just let him move away to continue his program? I have always liked Miller, the show just wont be the same without him. I am both really sad and really pissed, this seems so needlessly cruel to the character and to the audience. 

• Love 5

Grandpa clearly isn't planning to bring her back, and it strains credulity that Warren and Bailey haven't taken any legal measures to protect themselves AND PRU. If Miller had paperwork, they never should have let this happen. And if he didn't, they should have known they were not going to be able to just pretend this wasn't coming.

• Love 5

I can’t be the only one who was hoping Ingrid would just jump off the roof posthaste and spare us the continuation of that plot, can I? I wanted to see a memorial or something for Dean so this episode disappointed me.

• Love 1
On 11/19/2021 at 1:56 AM, jcbrown said:

I can’t be the only one who was hoping Ingrid would just jump off the roof posthaste and spare us the continuation of that plot, can I? I wanted to see a memorial or something for Dean so this episode disappointed me.

I'm sure this is the end of that plot so you didn't need to see her jump off a building to get rid of her.

Jack breaking down was rough. Miller really was his brother I also know more than most how hard it is for him to lose more family.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I'm sure this is the end of that plot so you didn't to see her jump off a building to get rid of her.

Thanks ever so.

My point was, this show has eleventy seven characters. Last week, they killed off an original character who happened to be one of my favorites. I do not want to spend some of my 46 minutes or whatever this week on a character about whom I care not at all.

• Love 1

I don't think the grandparents are the "bad guys" at all in the situation with Pru.  I'm more upset with Bailey and Ben because apparently Miller didn't have paperwork and I'm pretty sure they would have brought it up if he did.  Or maybe the papers will miraculously show up the next episode. 

And Bailey needs to shuffle her ass back to Grey's and take Carina with her.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I don't think the grandparents are the "bad guys" at all in the situation with Pru. 

Not in the least!  I can't imagine any grandparents would just take the word of one of their child's co-workers to give up their grandbaby to be raised by strangers.

• Love 7

I can't believe that Ben showed up with the kid at the firehouse only to dump her on Maya once he was called upon to actually do his job.  What would he have done if the entire crew had been called out?  Just left her there and hoped for the best?

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

I can't believe that Ben showed up with the kid at the firehouse only to dump her on Maya once he was called upon to actually do his job.  What would he have done if the entire crew had been called out?  Just left her there and hoped for the best?

I'm glad you brought that up because that's a prime reason why he and Bailey shouldn't have custody of another child, especially a young one.  They both have demanding careers and I don't know how they'd even have time to take care of another child.

• Love 3

I thought it was very wrong for him to bring her to the firehouse without a childcare plan, but he and Bailey have plenty of resources, and certainly as many as Dean had, to take care of her. They can hire help, just like her dad did. But the way the show played it, they are winging it, and it doesn't make sense. You'd think Dean would have a will, and we know he had money, so he would have left his estate in trust to care for Pru, and there would be paperwork assigning guardianship. The way the show is doing it is just nuts for melodrama.

Andy was raised by a single dad firefighter, too, for that matter. And his salary alone was surely less than what Bailey makes, even without Warren's money. 

If dad wanted them to raise Pru, he had his reasons. But if he didn't leave paperwork, his wishes are going nowhere.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4

Sure, they can arrange for child care but given their jobs they won't be around much as parents.  The thing I don't like is that they seem to have never considered that the grandparents (who aren't that old, by the way) would want to raise their own grandchild.   If Miller thought his parents were so bad, he would have put it in writing that he wanted Ben and Bailey to raise Pru.  So far we haven't seen any evidence of that.

On 11/19/2021 at 12:56 AM, jcbrown said:

I guess that scene where the team came into Vic's room all dressed up was when the memorial happened?

I am still annoyed that they killed Miller off, they had a perfectly good way to write him off while giving him a happy ending but instead they went for the most dramatic and depressing thing possible. 

I think the show wants us to see the grandparents as the bad guys, but I cant really see them wanting to take custody of their granddaughter as being so unreasonable. I can totally see why they think that they're the better guardians for Pru then their sons friends and co-workers. Dean really should have handled this legally ages ago, he works a dangerous job and has had issues with his parents and with Pru's other grandparents who he worried would try to take custody, if he wanted Ben and Bailey to have custody of Prue he should have drawn up paperwork. 

Ben really should have should have been upfront with that woman about being married when it became obvious she was into him, even just in a casual way to let her down easy. 

• Love 7

So the actor previously known as Miller will be on Jack Ryan in season 4...didn't take him long to find a new job!

I'm sure we are going to see a custody battle for Pru play out for a very long time (and I agree - why didn't he put it in writing?).  He knew his parents were manipulative and would do whatever it takes to get their own way...it is inconceivable that he didn't provide for her legally.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, RoxiP said:

He knew his parents were manipulative and would do whatever it takes to get their own way...it is inconceivable that he didn't provide for her legally.

He was hit in the face with their antics and how the law was SUPPOSE to work for people like him. He knew what to do, it's the classic: "They know all this stuff, but then do the dumb stuff." Reminds of the main plot in I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, where Kevin James after his wife has been dead almost TWO YEARS, tells the life insurance to switch it over to his kids if he dies in a fire. They tell him: "Well you had over a year to do it and sorry you were grieving, but FU!" When any other company would have been notified about the wife's death and then asked to switch over or it would just lapse to his next of kin. But oh no, it has to be DRAMATIC.

• Love 1

So is this show telling me that Dean did legally write up papers saying he wanted Ben and Miranda to raise his kid, and this just doesn't matter? Isn't that the entire point of a will?

I am glad Jack and Vic stopped themselves from going past that kiss. It would have been wrong for so many reasons, but all I could think was how that would have meant Jack had slept with every female character on this show.

That annoying dude that works for Andy is so stereotypically awful with no redeeming traits. 

• Love 2

Are we supposed to hate Robert? He just seems like a smug self-satisfied creep to me. I don't know how you steal drugs from the team, get a great program shut down, and all you can think of is getting your status back and proving that Andy is just like you. The man's ego is out of control.

• Love 4

So was that Travis' bathroom that Jack and Vic destroyed?  I don't feel sorry for either one of them because there was no justification for doing that.  And Vic still hasn't found her own damn place.

The grandparents didn't have to show Ben and Bailey the picture of the grandchild calling her Miranda, so I thought that was nice of them and I'm assuming they'll come to some sort of custody agreement. 

I don't care about Robert, Andy, Vic, Jack, Ben, Bailey and Carina (both of whom should stay at Grey's) anymore--almost the whole damn cast.  The only ones I can stomach now are Travis and Emmet and Vic's boyfriend whose name escapes me.

I'm not sure I'll be back next season because this show is getting boring and there's too much personal drama.

11 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

So was that Travis' bathroom that Jack and Vic destroyed?  I don't feel sorry for either one of them because there was no justification for doing that.  And Vic still hasn't found her own damn place.

The grandparents didn't have to show Ben and Bailey the picture of the grandchild calling her Miranda, so I thought that was nice of them and I'm assuming they'll come to some sort of custody agreement. 

Having finished a gut remodel relatively recently all I could think of was who was going to pay the $30,000 for a new bathroom. 

Isn't the mother of the child still alive? She abandoned the child but why are her parents claiming visitation rights for summer and vacation since theoretically the mother would have a claim. Unless she is dead the courts are always going to be willing to consider a living parent's rights. 

Assuming the custody arrangement was drawn up by an competent lawyer, it would be difficult to overturn the wishes of the father. The issue with grandparents has arisen principally when they want visitation rights with the grandchildren when they have a poor relationship with the surviving spouse - it's not uncommon with divorced couples when a spouse dies and the parents of the dead parent are not allowed to see the child. My brother died when he was going through a divorce and parents bent over backwards to appease his ex-wife so that she wouldn't cut off their ability to see their granddaughter. 

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, amarante said:

Having finished a gut remodel relatively recently all I could think of was who was going to pay the $30,000 for a new bathroom. 

Isn't the mother of the child still alive? She abandoned the child but why are her parents claiming visitation rights for summer and vacation since theoretically the mother would have a claim. Unless she is dead the courts are always going to be willing to consider a living parent's rights. 

The mother is still alive, but unless she changed her mind she doesn't want anything to do with the child. The courts are not going to force a mother to take custody when there are plenty of other people fighting for it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

The mother is still alive, but unless she changed her mind she doesn't want anything to do with the child. The courts are not going to force a mother to take custody when there are plenty of other people fighting for it.

I realize courts aren’t going to force her but if the grandparents wanted custody they could use the bio mother as a way to trump the custodial arrangements of the father because she would have rights over anyone else and could then make whatever arrangements she wanted. 

• Love 1

Do they even know where the birthmother is? I think she left a note saying she was leaving, but not where she was going. Also, since the actual legally documented wishes of the deceased custodial parent are apparently easily challenged, I imagine the wishes of the mother who abandoned Pru and left no forwarding address might also not carry weight in this universe.

That doesn't mean the show won't use her, though. Anything goes for drama.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the birth mother showed up out of nowhere. 🙄

I like Brenda Song, so it would be nice to see her again.  That said, I don't care for her character (JJ) at all. 😐

• Love 4
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

Do they even know where the birthmother is? I think she left a note saying she was leaving, but not where she was going. Also, since the actual legally documented wishes of the deceased custodial parent are apparently easily challenged, I imagine the wishes of the mother who abandoned Pru and left no forwarding address might also not carry weight in this universe.

That doesn't mean the show won't use her, though. Anything goes for drama.

The mother didn't tell Miller where she was going, but she had been in touch with her parents. That's how they knew where to find Pru. When they first showed up they said the daughter finally told them she existed.

We don't know if she'd be willing to help her parents get custody though. Or if she ever signed papers legally giving away her rights. I'm guessing they want Ben and Bailey to eventually get custody, so we probably won't she the mother. 

Edited by KaveDweller

I guess Dean did actually write up legal documents so that Bailey and Ben would take Pru, but I guess it doesn't matter? Does the deceased father's wishes really mean nothing? I cant blame the grandparents for wanting Pru though, from their perspective it must be rubbing lemon into a papercut to lose their son and then not get to take custody of their granddaughter because their son wanted her to be raised by his co-workers. This is all so weird and melodramatic, I still wish they hadn't killed Dean, none of this needs to happen. Didn't we have enough drama without all of this?

I am glad that Vic and Jack resisted the urge to hook up, that would have been a terrible idea, the latest in a long line of Jack's terrible romantic moves. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

The whole custody fight is going to come down to who has the better nannys/daycare facilities.  Because no way are either Ben or Miranda going to quit their jobs to be a stay at home parent.  And I doubt that the grandparents would either. 

• Love 1

They dangled a mini cliffhanger of the new female chief we will hopefully meet when the show comes back in Feb. Do we know any other women in the Department, who might be it, or are they introducing an entirely new character? 

Is Travis going to be caught between Theo and Vic the way he was caught in the drama between his parents? Also: wow-- he didn't seem at all upset about the destruction of his bathroom.

Robert was more likable this time. I've been hating his guts for a while now. 

Captain "Use me, I like it" is a trip. I find him creepy but I think they want us to like him? His character isn't working for me, either as the Captain or as the dude pining for Andy. I just don't get who he is and he's been around long enough that I find it annoying.

Still hate the Carina-Maya baby story. I think I just really don't like Carina, but I'm pretty sure I'd hate the baby story anyway.

Still think the custody battle is a bad idea and also they are not doing anything interesting with it. The kid playing Pru looked miserable, and whether it was because the actress was miserable or whether they just asked her to look sad for the part, it is another story that's not working for me.

--

Was it fair for Jack to blame Vic for the kissing? I didn't read it that way when it happened. I also thought the kiss was being blown out of proportion by all parties. It was a stupid impulsive moment and they should have laughed it off and chalked it up to drunken grief insanity and dropped it.

I get that Jack is basically a sex addict who fell off the wagon and Vic is traumatized by serial deaths of loved ones, and they are both traumatized by abandonment stuff that goes with all of that. So both of them should go to therapy (separately) and she should have told Theo right away instead of compounding it by being so sketchy. But they are playing it like they really do take it seriously and secretly want to pursue it and I don't want the show to do that. 

---

I am surprised if they aren't mandatory reporters of a dangerous situation for a child. It wasn't clear to me what Jack and... I always forget the other guy's name (Emmett, maybe?)... were planning to do if Vic hadn't tried to take the child. But there really ought to be a clear protocol for when they wind up in a domestic violence situation, and Vic ought to know what it is and not feel like she had to grab the kid or do nothing. They also should have a list of resources to offer women in this situation, not just "maybe you can stay with a friend". I liked that they wanted to show domestic violence as a major hazard, but it was handled in a sloppy way that made Crisis One look like it had no training in this subject, and that is a very dangerous thing.

---

I liked the guy in the crush injury rescue. I don't know why the car rolled into him with that much force if it was merely a brake failure of an otherwise non-moving vehicle, but okay. If it just rolled from a stopped position, and uphill besides, it wouldn't have been that big of an impact. But, I liked the guy a lot.

And maybe it means they will bring back the surgical program. If the department has forgiven Robert and is using him as a PR guy for the FD, they really don't have much excuse to keep the surgical program closed down anymore, and something should have been done about that before now, not just as a reaction to this case.

---

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

---

I liked the guy in the crush injury rescue. I don't know why the car rolled into him with that much force if it was merely a brake failure of an otherwise non-moving vehicle, but okay. If it just rolled from a stopped position, and uphill besides, it wouldn't have been that big of an impact. But, I liked the guy a lot.

---

I did too.  You could tell he was a dedicated family man.  I'm glad he made it.  I wouldn't mind a scene in a later episode where he and the family stop by the station to express their thanks, but I suspect we've seen the last of him.

• Love 3

There are so many subplots going on that I just don't care about. I don't particularly like Maya/Carina or care about their baby, Robert and Andy are exhausting, and I still cant stand that they killed Dean all for the sake of cheap drama and an insufferable custody subplot. 

Its not fair of Jack to blame Vic for the kiss, they should really just call it a mistake and laugh it off as the result of grief and booze, but Vic is clearly not ready to be back at work. Although some of that is on the program in general, you would think that they would have some training on handling domestic abuse situations, especially considering how many they run into.  

I thought the stories were good, especially the dad who was stuck between the cars. 

• Love 2

I knew Vic was going to be pregnant as soon as she talked about not being able to predict her period. That is going to be some messy storyline.

I can't decide if I like the new Chief. Too early to tell, but promoting Sullivan seems like a bad sign.

I like seeing Andy bond with her new team and seem to do well as a leader.

Man I wish Own didn't make it. I know that sounds terrible, but he's a fictional character. The worst fictional character who has been bringing down Grey's for years.

• Love 7

I tried to watch Greys, but I just can't do it. I don't even know why I hate it so much, but I really hate it. I hope I didn't miss anything relevant to this show, which I still like, though I'm super-bored by all the pregnancy stories.

I do not see Vic as a parent. I don't even see her going through the pregnancy, for that matter. But I don't think ABC will have the guts to do an abortion story. So I'm braced for hating this story.

I actually do like the show, though, overall.

The growling with Gibson and Carina was enjoyable. I kind of liked Carina this episode, for the first time. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I do not see Vic as a parent. I don't even see her going through the pregnancy, for that matter. But I don't think ABC will have the guts to do an abortion story. So I'm braced for hating this story.

Shonda herself is very loudly pro choice. And abortions have been portrayed on Greys before. I can see that here for Vic.

• Love 4

Plus, we pretty much know the father is. So, he would want to keep the baby, but at the same time. You really do wonder what this will do to Vic since her parents were so: "We have to secret support you, but always be out of the apartment from dealing with child raising and grandma's demtia because you know, reasons."

• Love 1
19 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Man I wish Own didn't make it. I know that sounds terrible, but he's a fictional character. The worst fictional character who has been bringing down Grey's for years.

I wanted him to not make it because the trope of an injured person trying to pass on a message in case they don't make it and their rescuer refusing to listen because "You're not gonna die dammit!"  Seriously, what would it have cost Warren to just STFU and listen to what his patient had to say? 

(I presume we found out whether he survived or not on Greys Anatomy, but I didn't care enough about him to bother watching)

• Love 5

When will this show stop trying to force me to watch Greys? I can get having a crossover once or twice a season, but we just have too many damn crossovers where you have to watch both to get the full story and too many crossover characters, I don't want to watch Grey's, I am not going to watch Grey's, and you cant make me. Also, that hospital really does need to find an exorcist or someone to finally fix that curse put on it, its employees are the most accident prone group of doctors in the history of medicine. 

Of course Vic is pregnant, I knew as soon as she started talking about not knowing when her periods would be. Oh the drama. Because Vic has just not had enough drama lately. 

I actually like Carina when she's hanging out with Jack, I like their energy. Probably because there is basically no chance that he'll sleep with her and make everything messy. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

Someone please remind me, did Vic and Gibson sleep together?  When she went cuckoo and destroyed Montgomery's bathroom, did they just kiss or did they do the deed.  Because I was thinking what this story really needs is a who's the daddy storyline because there aren't enough problems with it as it is.  

2 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Someone please remind me, did Vic and Gibson sleep together?  When she went cuckoo and destroyed Montgomery's bathroom, did they just kiss or did they do the deed.  Because I was thinking what this story really needs is a who's the daddy storyline because there aren't enough problems with it as it is.  

She and Gibson just kissed.