Type keyword(s) to search

Station 19 - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

When Vic was sexually assaulting that raw chicken (or turkey?) all I could think of was that I hoped she washed her hands really, really well.  She just bugs the hell out of me.

My thoughts too. I was also waiting for the excuse why the police didn't show up to help them at the meth parents house was because Dixon fixed things to keep it from happening. After all, they made a big deal last episode that he just got a slap on the wrist and the City sees him as a victim and hero. 

• Love 2

This one actually had some good moments, I am glad that Maya realized that she sees some of her dads worst traits in herself and is trying to work on them and that they had an actual talk about what was bothering her without anyone getting too angry or defensive. I don't care much about her and Carina as a couple, but they had some nice moments. 

I also really like this story with Jack and the family he bonded with, its miles better than the last few plots they've saddled the poor guy with. They did a good job with the COVID stuff and how it can effect people with disabilities, like the kid being unable to lipread when people are in masks, and showing how COVID hasn't made other problems and traumas go away. So are he and the mom going to officially get together? Or are they just bonding over both needing more decent people in their lives? 

I am glad that Travis is getting closer to confronting his father, I think he really needs to talk to his dad about it before bringing his mom into it, but I was worried he might pull a muscle on that stretch he made connecting his family troubles to the crack head couple. Yeah the mom was yelling random bible stuff, but what I got from that situation was less "bible thumping hypocrites" and more "unstable violent crackheads" they aren't the people I really imagine going to the respectable judge-y church that we assume his parents go to and why his dad is afraid to live his real life who will go to confession and be automatically forgiven. It wasn't a bad plot, and I thought they would go in more of the direction of gender flipping the domestic abuse situations the show has shown us several times and do more with that, but then I actually thought they tied it better with Sullivan and Dean and the fallout from his drug use, that drugs can make people behave in awful and nonsensical ways, and how much we should judge them for it, especially with Vic telling the cops the husband needed rehab and not jail, or even Andy realizing that maybe her mom leaving was for the best as some people aren't made to be parents, but Travis really latched onto the moms drug addled religious rambling so I guess that's what we were supposed to get out of it? Crack heads can be forgiven by the church but not Travis and that makes him all the upset? Yeah, its clearly about Travis's issues with his dad, but if that's what they wanted to tie this into, you would think it would be a more stereotypical middle class seemingly wholesome Christian family who are really judgmental and then we find out they have all these dark secrets or something. 

I can understand Deans point, and that Sullivan doing what he did is making all other black firemen look bad by comparison, and that its unfair but it often is how it is, but it just seemed to come out of nowhere. I can see him resenting him and it bubbling up, but people on this show are pretty much all drama all the time, so I guess he has to blow up at him every second.  

Edited by tennisgurl
I stand corrected, Dean was quite salty at the hearing
  • Love 2
On 12/11/2020 at 4:40 PM, tennisgurl said:

It wasn't a bad plot, and I thought they would go in more of the direction of gender flipping the domestic abuse situations the show has shown us several times and do more with that, but then I actually thought they tied it better with Sullivan and Dean and the fallout from his drug use, that drugs can make people behave in awful and nonsensical ways, and how much we should judge them for it, especially with Vic telling the cops the husband needed rehab and not jail, or even Andy realizing that maybe her mom leaving was for the best as some people aren't made to be parents, but Travis really latched onto the moms drug addled religious rambling so I guess that's what we were supposed to get out of it? Crack heads can be forgiven by the church but not Travis and that makes him all the upset? Yeah, its clearly about Travis's issues with his dad, but if that's what they wanted to tie this into, you would think it would be a more stereotypical middle class seemingly wholesome Christian family who are really judgmental and then we find out they have all these dark secrets or something. 

I think there were two different things we were supposed to get out of it. The thing about drugs making people act badly and how drug users deserve rehabilitation was a big part. But then it seemed like they wanted to take shot at the Christian/Catholic Churches for being anti-gay, and that was Travis's part. 

That was tough to take!

The writers have to preach and came up this ridiculous premise. Unless the mother talked only to Dixon, I found it hard to believe the police didn't help her for days. Of course, the two most ignorant cops on the force quickly arrived when the kidnapper called and were totally insensitive to the situation.

Jack, Maya, Travis, Andy and Vic didn't feel the need to rush in the house?

Now all these people had guns drawn on them and were arrested at the end! I hurt myself rolling my eyes! I'm not invested to find out what happened in crossover.

As our precious people from 19 are "off duty" the show has to expose how poor the other stations are with their response time.

Some transition! They go from a serious subject with the missing girls then cut to Andy salsa dancing then kissing Sullivan and made up for last week's no/go sex by having Sullivan/Andy go at it in his old office.

Good to see Sullivan had energy and his leg didn't give out climbing the stairs with he girl.

If they can smell smoke, those masks aren't working.

33 minutes ago, dogfish said:

Oh man....I’m sure Seattle PD will be less than thrilled with the latest episode.

I don't think the fire department has been pleased since season one!

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2

That was an intense episode.

Those cops were just cartoonishly awful. I have a hard time believing that anyone would consider charging girls for the fire when they were locked up behind a wall and clearly would have died if not for the Station 19 crew. 

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

That was an intense episode.

Those cops were just cartoonishly awful. I have a hard time believing that anyone would consider charging girls for the fire when they were locked up behind a wall and clearly would have died if not for the Station 19 crew. 

Sad to say, something like this happened a few months ago north of me. There was someone who tried to start a fire and kill a young family and then said they purposely started the fire and not him. The difference was, the cop had a brain. The problem is, this sadly has been built up with the race issue that has been going on for a while and also how many sex trafficking rings are happening. They are targeting young girls through social media. Going after minorities, so local authorities think: "Well, this is a cliche case" instead of realizing what is happening. What I do call BS is NONE of the cops had masked or showed to do it. Plus, cops are not allowed to question others until after they receive treatment. I know they needed to end things on a cliffhanger and I'm more than sure this will bring Dixon into things too when the show returns in March.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I wonder, since the story continued on Grey's, would there be some pressure/support from the hospital administration regarding how the 19 crew was treated? Jackson was ticked AF. There might be some clout from that quarter to support Dean and Sullivan.

• Love 1
Just now, anna0852 said:

I wonder, since the story continued on Grey's, would there be some pressure/support from the hospital administration regarding how the 19 crew was treated? Jackson was ticked AF. There might be some clout from that quarter to support Dean and Sullivan.

Sadly not as much as we go, except Bob was connected to the Red Head Human Trafficker from last season and this was part of her ring. The problem is, it also made her dumb because after what happened, most traffickers get the fuck out of dodge when they get discovered or avoid places they might be recognized in, even if they are wearing a mask.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

They may do that, and have Richard show support as well, being Sullivan's sponsor and all. But they clearly want to wait until after the winter break for that. The Grey's storyline only related to seeing how the victims/kidnapper was treated at the hospital and not any of the firefighters.

28 minutes ago, readster said:

Sad to say, something like this happened a few months ago north of me. There was someone who tried to start a fire and kill a young family and then said they purposely started the fire and not him. The difference was, the cop had a brain. 

Yeah, I can believe that the criminals would try and blame their victims, but I would think at least one cop would see through it. But maybe I am just sheltered. It's really horrifying to hear some of what goes on.

• Love 1

However clumsily this ended up executed, I think there was *quite* a thread of reality running through this storyline. Which is horrifying and stomach turning and that's all I can say before I run afoul of the site rules.

Just because the dialogue isn't the best or a story comes across as a PSA doesn't mean it isn't true

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

However clumsily this ended up executed, I think there was *quite* a thread of reality running through this storyline. Which is horrifying and stomach turning and that's all I can say before I run afoul of the site rules.

Just because the dialogue isn't the best or a story comes across as a PSA doesn't mean it isn't true

True, there was truth to the story and at the same time, you knew they were setting up some type of rift between the Station and and the police after they revealed that Dixon was kicked over to being a training manager. The one thing I really wanted to see was Vic with her parents as it's shown they are back to being workaholics again with curbside pick up. 

• Love 2

I never watch Station 19, but there wasn’t anything else on TV or in my DVR so I put it on.  Very intense episode.  I had a feeling immediately that this was connected to last seasons trafficking story on Greys (and I’m glad they haven’t dropped it).   My son actually sat and watched the entire episode and I think it may have actually resonated with him regarding internet and strangers and all that.  I pound it into his head and he is usually like yes mom I know, but the look on his face last night during the episode and the questions he was asking me, I’m like see I’m not just making these things up!    

• Love 4

That sure got intense as hell, and while a lot of it was clunky in the way that "message" episodes pretty much always are on shows like this, the actual story of the moms trying to save their daughters was very compelling, and the massive issue of the abuse, murder, and disappearances of black girls and women and how they are so often forgotten about by the authorities and the media. Plus with the ending where the girls were lured in through social media, something that many creeps use to find victims, they were good messages and the actual story was pretty compelling. Of course, because its this franchise, it struggles with going over the top, with the two dumbass asshole white guy cops who wont even seemingly acknowledge that something might be wrong, then trying to charge the girls with arson and totally ready to back up fellow obvious piece of shit white guy with his clearly ridiculous "they totally broke into my house and set it on fire because they're hooligans!" and end up arresting the mom and half the fire department while also pulling guns. Damn, I really hope someone was recording all of that, the SPD is going to have an absolute firestorm on their hands when that hits the press. We also had that thing where the show is REALLY trying to make sure we get the message, so we have Miller quoting stats on missing black girls in a really forced awkward way when they were already getting the point across just fine with him taking this all personally, and a lot of very awkward "DO YOU GET IT" lines like that, which are really not needed. The personal story gets the message across just fine and is much more effective than a lecture that a audience might roll their eyes at so much that they miss the actually important message. 

It does seem weird that Bailey didn't tell her kids their grandma was dead, I guess she was really busy at the hospital, but still. Or is this all connected to some Greys plot I neither know nor care about? 

As much as I got whiplash going between the romantic scenes between Jack and his new maybe girlfriend and Andy and Sullivan while this super intense kidnapping plot was happening, but I am glad that Jack and his lady friend moved their relationship forward. Unlike every other woman Jack has been involved with, she actually seems like she wants to be with him. 

The whole fucked up situation reminded me of that horrific story about Jeffrey Dahmer, the serial killer who raped and killed seventeen men and boys through the 70s and 80s, and how one of his teenage victims actually escaped his apartment after he had almost killed him, and two women who lived nearby found him, clearly bleeding, drugged, and hysterically panicking, and called the cops. When the cops got there, Dahmer told the cops that he was his boyfriend and had just had too much to drink, and while the women angrily protested that Dahmer was lying and that the boy was in danger, the cops just took a look in his apartment (which they noted smelled a bit weird but ignored it, turned out it was the decaying body of his last victim) and told Dahmer to take him inside, while the women still protested until they yelled at them to go away. It should also be noted the victim was a Laotian immigrant and I believe the two women were black while Dahmer was white, so make of that what you will. The cops left, Dahmer killed the poor kid, and went on to murder more people before he was finally caught. The cops got fired, but then got their jobs back later. You know, maybe those dumbass asshole cops in this episode aren't so unrealistic...

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Yeah this episode was intense, I don't have much to say except for a couple of things:

1)  At least Vic didn't annoy me this episode.  I hope she and Dean wind up being friends only, and she gets with the cute guy from Station 23.  

3)  When Jack was sitting on the bed after having sex with the woman, he didn't look pleased, like he was thinking he made a mistake and worried about breaking her heart.  

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

The whole fucked up situation reminded me of that horrific story about Jeffrey Dahmer, the serial killer who raped and killed seventeen men and boys through the 70s and 80s, and how one of his teenage victims actually escaped his apartment after he had almost killed him, and two women who lived nearby found him, clearly bleeding, drugged, and hysterically panicking, and called the cops. When the cops got there, Dahmer told the cops that he was his boyfriend and had just had too much to drink, and while the women angrily protested that Dahmer was lying and that the boy was in danger, the cops just took a look in his apartment (which they noted smelled a bit weird but ignored it, turned out it was the decaying body of his last victim) and told Dahmer to take him inside, while the women still protested until they yelled at them to go away. It should also be noted the victim was a Laotian immigrant and I believe the two women were black while Dahmer was white, so make of that what you will. The cops left, Dahmer killed the poor kid, and went on to murder more people before he was finally caught. The cops got fired, but then got their jobs back later. You know, maybe those dumbass asshole cops in this episode aren't so unrealistic...

Right and sad to say even in 2020 almost 2021, these things are still going on. There was a cop years who wrote me up for an accident that was clearly the fault of the other drive, but he knew the person who hit me, family. He was a cop for over a decade, but the judge dismissed the case saying no fault of my own. The cop retired early because apparently he showing too many "personal" relationships with people on his beat. Basically, if there was a speeding ticket and he knew who they were related to (you know small town). They were just getting warnings. If something else was amiss with "who was at fault" he tended to side more with the people he knew. I only found out later as I lived in the area for a few years and saw him on occasion doing his patrols. I then noticed one year, he wasn't driving anymore. I brought it up when I ran into a friend's father who was also a cop and they said they had retired, but said it was possibly a forced retirement. A few years later after he retired, he told my mom it was a forced retirement on the other guy, because at that point, he could speak about it. Nothing underhanded, but apparently the higher ups were getting tired of his favortism. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

It does seem weird that Bailey didn't tell her kids their grandma was dead, I guess she was really busy at the hospital, but still. Or is this all connected to some Greys plot I neither know nor care about? 

Bailey decided to stay at the hospital because she was needed there with all the COVID patients.  But, there are phones, so I don't know why she didn't call to talk to her children.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, izabella said:

Bailey decided to stay at the hospital because she was needed there with all the COVID patients.  But, there are phones, so I don't know why she didn't call to talk to her children.

I bet they didn't want to pay the actress for a guest spot on Station 19. And they couldn't fit the storyline into the Grey's script, so Ben got stuck with the job.

Bailey also said on Grey's that she didn't want to expose the kids to Covid, since she has been around patients. But she could have worn a mask.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:11 PM, anna0852 said:

This. I found it difficult to watch because it isn't far fetched. Cops see a woman as hysterical. They see a black woman as an angry black woman. 

Two 13 year old girls missing would warrant the cops knocking on the door and checking the house. I believe that the black mom was ignored. It's a horrifying and sad reality.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Court said:

This. I found it difficult to watch because it isn't far fetched. Cops see a woman as hysterical. They see a black woman as an angry black woman. 

Two 13 year old girls missing would warrant the cops knocking on the door and checking the house. I believe that the black mom was ignored. It's a horrifying and sad reality.

Right and Grey's and Station 19 have brought this up, including the 12 year old who was shot by a young cop who thought he was breaking into a house and could "possibly armed". When the kid lost his key and sadly didn't think for two seconds that trying to pry open and sneak into a window would make him look suspicious. Same with Dean in his flashbacks how "white" former coworkers saw him as spoiled by his parents who were "rich black lawyers". Because not like they worked their assess off for their positions in life. 

The biggest plot hole was the mom saying she traced the phone location to the house. Seriously, all the cops had to do was see the phone and be: "You are right, it's this area." Cops ARE suppose to check those things, but sadly it fell on one cop who was a racial "veteren" and a young cop who didn't want to question his superior. 

• Love 1
On 12/20/2020 at 8:49 AM, readster said:

Right and Grey's and Station 19 have brought this up, including the 12 year old who was shot by a young cop who thought he was breaking into a house and could "possibly armed". When the kid lost his key and sadly didn't think for two seconds that trying to pry open and sneak into a window would make him look suspicious. Same with Dean in his flashbacks how "white" former coworkers saw him as spoiled by his parents who were "rich black lawyers". Because not like they worked their assess off for their positions in life. 

The biggest plot hole was the mom saying she traced the phone location to the house. Seriously, all the cops had to do was see the phone and be: "You are right, it's this area." Cops ARE suppose to check those things, but sadly it fell on one cop who was a racial "veteren" and a young cop who didn't want to question his superior. 

I have had enough of these shows getting political. I’m out.

On 12/20/2020 at 8:49 AM, readster said:

I only watched this last night, so I'm late to the party.  But I think it's more than two cops who didn't look.  The cops called "Bob" by his name when they got there.  They KNOW him and I believe know something about the situation.  They were just way too nonchalant, calling him by his name and absolutely not listening to anyone else.  They know something. 

Also not helping is the fact that whenever I see Scott Winters, I know something bad is going down.  There has to be more to this or else that was a criminal waste of Scott Winters.

• Love 3

OK this is petty but....I just discovered this show thanks to Hulu and I wanted something mindless to watch while working out or cooking. I stopped watching Grey's years ago so I didn't know there was a spinoff. Anyway, with watching all 4 seasons in just a few weeks, I noticed that the actor who plays Jack looked completely different to me in that last episode. Thin and frail-ish. Is he ill? At one point, I did a double-take because I wasn't sure it was the same actor.  Part of this may be that I happened to watch this episode on the big screen instead of the iPad so maybe it's just my imagination because I haven't seen any mention of it on this thread. 

I also just discovered this show and binged it on Hulu. Unlike what seems to be everyone else using this forum, I like it. I understand the flaws people are pointing out, and why people are hate-watching, and I'm not going to say the show is a masterpiece or some kind of high art. But I don't need it to be something other than what it is and I like enough things about it to be glad it's coming back soon. I do think that maybe binging it in a short period of time makes it easier to overlook some of the pacing issues and dropped plots, because there's less time ruminating between episodes and obsessing over details or thinking of interesting possible directions they might go with something they then drop or do something predictable with, and the feeling of momentum helps keep it exciting.

I have some questions and a few comments.

Is calling the first responder truck an "aid car" how it's really done in the real world, or is that just a tv invention? I've never seen that anywhere, but maybe it's just not a local convention anywhere I've lived. 

In season 1, they were saying Sta 19 has the fastest response time and the best stats. They were legendary in the Department and everyone considered them superstars. But then they retconned the entire thing so they could bring in Sullivan "to teach them how to behave within protocol," and started telling them they made too many mistakes. I actually understand and respect having protocols for safety, but they can't have it both ways; either they had the best record or they didn't. If they didn't, then fine-- bringing in a rule-follower was smart. But if they had the best record of any team, then maybe they need to study them to see why they are so effective and alter the rules to improve all the other stations? It seems like they have had more staff deaths and failed rescues since they started following protocol!

Pruitt told Andy her mother died, staged a funeral, etc. But then a few years later he went to NYC to beg her to come back? That doesn't add up. Moreover, if there was a funeral, then her cousin would not have been telling Andy that she saw her mom recently. The only thing I can think of that makes it add up is that when mom left, Andy was so traumatized that she blocked it out and decided mom died, and Pruitt decided to let her think that and erase all the people from her life who could not be relied on not to disabuse her of her delusion, thinking that was how to best protect her. It's in character for him to decide she can't handle things, and do crazy and inappropriate things as a result. That also explains why she started having memories when she saw the photos and other artifacts of her previous extended family. It's like Pruitt sanitized everything so she would never be triggered. It's wrong, and it's a bit much, and the show doesn't seem to actually explicitly say this, but they set up a story that doesn't make any sense, and I found it to be much sloppier than even their other more sloppy plotlines.

The other thing they did that I can't get over is that when he retires briefly, Pruitt is shown to be calling Andy at work and bothering her with trivial things and doesn't understand when she tells him she can't talk because she's on a call. The one thing he WOULD understand is when she's on a call.

I find the Dean-Vic story to be too similar to the Andy-Ryan story, where they are supposedly close friends who are very comfortable together, and they don't communicate about how much they value and love each other, leading to hurt feelings. 

Unlike most people, I don't find the stories about various abusive situations to be lacking credibility. I have been continually horrified by real life stuff that happens, so I actually appreciate when the show attempts to expose it. This includes not only things like the parent backstories, but also the ICE story, and things like Dixon, senior's corruption and how he keeps manipulating situations and coming back or failing upward or whatever.

Gibson twigging to the abusive guy when they got called for the "gas leak" was actually good work. There are training programs that teach people to spot signs of abuse,-- everything from trafficking to domestic violence-- and ask the right questions to figure out what is really happening. And with Gibson's history of being in the foster system, we've seen that even without the formal training, he has an instinct for this-- like when he understood the kids at the homeless encampment, or like when Sullivan was able to connect with the PTSD veteran, or when Ryan figured out the child abduction at the traffic stop. And he also understands the failures of the system when it comes to protecting people. Gibson started off as one of the characters I liked the least, but he's become one of the ones I find most interesting because he's actually been given some depth, and consistency. Despite his meathead veneer, he's actually one of the quieter ones, one of the ones who's actually working hardest on his issues, has more self-awareness, and is someone it's easiest to understand because they've fleshed out his reasons for being the way he is.

"JJ abandoning Pru" and" Andy's mom abandoning Andy" is two stories about mothers being framed as terrible people while the single dads who picked up the pieces are being framed as awesome and heroic. I find it sexist and annoying, because both stories had the ability to be written without doing that. JJ could have been honest with Dean, told him she was pregnant, realized she couldn't be a mother, and wanted to offer him the kid before giving it up for adoption. Andy's mom could have negotiated a return to her career without disappearing entirely. She and Pruitt could have stayed together and gotten childcare or asked for the extended family to take up some of the slack. Or the parents could have gotten divorced but Mom could have stayed in touch. They all could have been honest about what was happening. The aunts and cousins and so on could have stayed in Andy's life and softened the trauma if they hadn't all been trying to keep it a secret. It didn't have to be all or nothing! Moreover, when men leave their children, they are usually given a right to visitation, and if they don't want it, well... the kids survive knowing dad's a schmuck. There is something fundamentally sexist about how it was this secret shame requiring a massive cover up, vs a tough situation with a solution within the known bounds of things that happen all the time.

I don't watch Grey's and don't want to. How many crossovers do they have? I found some things confusing because it seemed like I'd missed an episode and thus critical details, and I'm guessing now that was because there was a Grey's crossover episode I didn't know about during my Hulu binge. 

I don't mind as much when they just give characters double duty, because I can read the relationship between Maya and Carina without knowing Carina's backstory on Grey's, and it's pretty clear what the marriage of Ben and Miranda is like, without knowing what either of them did on the other show. But when all of a sudden Ben and Miranda have another kid who apparently appeared out of nowhere, or Vic is mad at Jackson for something that apparently happened in an episode I didn't see, or Travis gets arrested for beating someone up and then nothing ever comes from it after I hear they were pressing charges... eventually I figure they must have finished that plotline on Grey's, but I still don't want to have to watch Grey's.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

On 2/22/2021 at 3:55 PM, possibilities said:

But when all of a sudden Ben and Miranda have another kid who apparently appeared out of nowhere, or Vic is mad at Jackson for something that apparently happened in an episode I didn't see, or Travis gets arrested for beating someone up and then nothing ever comes from it after I hear they were pressing charges... eventually I figure they must have finished that plotline on Grey's, but I still don't want to have to watch Grey's.

There are quite a few crossover episodes. Even more episodes where one character from Grey's has reason to interact with a character from Station 19 or vice versa.  Robert interacted with Amelia a lot before Richard became his sponsor. Maya, and Ben, Vic are or were involved with someone on the other show, etc. 

It's possible to get some of the backstory without watching Grey's. Ben and Miranda's new son, Joey was in foster care with a bunch of other kids. Somehow the kids ended up without permanent housing. Joey ended up at Grey Sloan and met Miranda. The younger kids were returned to foster care. Miranda found out that Joey was really smart and decided to take him home without really consulting Ben. She was still grieving her miscarriage. 

Interestingly enough I watch both shows and forgot who Travis beat up and only remember the Jackson and Vic highlights. 

• Useful 2

Thanks for the explanation. 

I watched Grey's tonight, but I really hated it. I quit that show years ago because everything about it annoyed me. I think I will have to live with missing details on Sta 19, if the cost of catching everything means watching Grey's. 

• LOL 1

I watched this just to make sure I didn't miss anything on Grey's. There were So. Many. Speeches. They were covering important issues and I support doing that but it needs to be with better writing and less "we're going to cover all of this in one episode." It makes the characters not seem like real people.

• Love 2

I HATE when this show tries to force me to watch Greys to watch this show. I am fine with a yearly crossover or some references to each others shows, but having whole sequences where we are following Greys characters over here and requiring us to watch Greys just to finish the story or to understand what is happening is just infuriating. I don't want to watch Greys, and I hate that I had to watch it just to finish this episodes story. I watched the Greys following this just to see what happened, and was reminded why I don't watch it anymore. Its everything about this show I dislike taken up to eleven, without the parts of this show that I actually like. Spoilers just in case...

Spoiler

Sucks that Carina's brother died, that's really depressing especially with the backstory that he seems to have. Finally handling your mental illness? Too bad your stabbed to death. I don't think we have seen much of him on this show before, but I thought he was way more interesting and likable than Carina ever has been. And now we are probably going to have to spend even more time on Greys stuff while Carina angsts about this, oh joy. This is one of the reasons I stopped watching Greys, the constant pointless killing of characters just got to be too annoying. 

This return was alright, its what I expected. A lot of speeches, a lot of stuff with characters I don't know, more speeches, soapiness, more romantic drama. Some good character moments and the actors did a really good job throughout, even when the dialogue could get clunky. The issues being discussed are good and most of the speeches were actually pretty good, but because we have to also have this other plot where Carina and her brother are chasing sex traffickers we get all of these big speeches right in the middle of these intense time sensitive deadly situations. Its nice that Jack wants to know how to support Miller and that leads to a speech about how white people can support their friends who are people of color, but maybe we could do that when not in active pursuit of a human trafficker? There is so much going on that its hard to really get into these important issues and give them the attention they deserve. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I HATE when this show tries to force me to watch Greys to watch this show. I am fine with a yearly crossover or some references to each others shows, but having whole sequences where we are following Greys characters over here and requiring us to watch Greys just to finish the story or to understand what is happening is just infuriating. I don't want to watch Greys, and I hate that I had to watch it just to finish this episodes story. I watched the Greys following this just to see what happened, and was reminded why I don't watch it anymore. Its everything about this show I dislike taken up to eleven, without the parts of this show that I actually like. Spoilers just in case...

Totally agree - a yearly crossover would be plenty.  I have pretty much mirror-image feelings - for some reason I'm still watching Greys, but somehow I just can't get invested in S19.  I've watched all the crossover episodes, plus a few others, but I can't remember a single character's name, and I really don't recognize them from anywhere else.  (Except Hercules Mulligan, and it took me way too long to figure that out!)

Hard to believe it's only the next day from what we saw, what, a year ago?  Seems like, anyway.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

You think? Be interesting if she is. Has she been sleeping with anyone recently enough to have that be a thing?

Jackson is the last guy we know of that she slept with. I don't know how long ago that was show-time. 

I doubt they'd give Jackson another kid with an ex, on Grey's they are trying to set him up with a new romance. But you never know.

Maya did good this episode. I did see the siren coming a mile away, but that's okay. Apartment walls are too thin for really big screaming. so the siren was a good idea. Also, they have a gorgeous shower.

I loved the kid saying he knew about his mom and Gibson, but they thought he didn't. They've done a good job with that kid's character. Or maybe I just like seeing the signing.

Warren went from "I'm not a hand specialist" to "I'll sew you up and you'll be 100% in a month really fast. I hope that doesn't come back to bite him; if something goes wrong, the guy could sue. He didn't seem like he would, but you never know.

How does Travis know Vic's new boyfriend? Is that something we know but I forgot?

Travis's dad is awful. 

• Love 3

I wasn't paying attention sometimes when Miller was talking, but what was his big decision? 

Well, at least Maya wasn't annoying.  

In the previews, the look Travis gave Vic's new boyfriend had me wondering if he's bisexual and he and Travis had a relationship.   

Here I was thinking that the show was being a bit subtle, showing how the cops treated the white cultist who came at that cop and how different the moms and Miller were treated for just trying to save lives while Miller watched, but then we got another big speech about it later. I would say show don't tell, but this show keeps on doing both for no reason. You already showed us, you don't have to tell. 

Great, so now we get a whole big plot based on something that happened on another show. I feel bad for any Greys watchers who don't watch this show, basically missing part of the conclusion of a major story and the death of what seems to be a fairly major character. 

Warren is just a wizard at this point, he can do anything. Cant fix hands? Never mind he totally can. At least he has had the same job for a whole two episodes, a new record. 

Maya was actually likable this week, and while I am still not that invested in Carina, I did feel for her and Maya was a good and supportive girlfriend. I also like that they are continuing Jack's relationship with the women and the deaf kid, they are all really cute together and its nice to see Jack actually in a happy relationship with a person who actually likes him. 

Travis's dad is such trash, even in a show where the overwhelming majority of parents are trash.  

• Love 1

I think Warren knew that the man was not going to seek treatment so he figured some treatment was better than none.  He is a trained surgeon so although having a hand specialist would have been ideal he undoubtedly knew enough to reattach muscles and tendons.  Isn't that basic surgery?

I think that the new character will turn out to be a total homophobe so they can beat us up on another social issue because thats what Shonda likes to do.  Or else he was related to his ex husband and cut him off or something.  

Apparently Miller's idea of fighting is not trying by advancing up in ranks  but instead continuing to help people and do nothing else. Not sure that's a winning solution but whatever makes him sleep well at night.

• Love 2

For all that it's clunky writing I do like the debate and how there is no one right answer. I thought the conversation between Dean and Sullivan in the firetruck was particularly illuminating in how personal perspectives vary.

• Love 3

Dean did not decide to do nothing. He was given a choice between filing a complaint and applying for a promotion that would have required him to stay silent. He decided that being promoted wasn't worth it if it means participating in a cover up, and he's going to advance his complaint against the department, to help the women/girls who were ignored and left to die, and to fight against the profiling that targets all POC, including the officers of color who continue to suffer from it when out of uniform.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

Warren went from "I'm not a hand specialist" to "I'll sew you up and you'll be 100% in a month really fast. I hope that doesn't come back to bite him; if something goes wrong, the guy could sue. He didn't seem like he would, but you never know.

I think he was initially trying to convince the guy to go to a hand specialist because that is the best treatment. But, as a surgeon, he probably does know enough to stitch up the hand and have better results than the guy doing nothing. It wasn't like he jumped in to do fancy brain surgery. But he also isn't supposed to perform surgery as a fire fighter, so he could also get fired or in trouble at work if they find out he did something like that again. I hope they leave it as a one off thing and don't revisit.

• Love 3