Type keyword(s) to search

Station 19 - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

On 4/10/2020 at 6:52 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Well...that was certainly an ending for Pruitt. I think that, had they not also killed off Ryan and Rigo in this season, the impact probably would have been more powerful for me. But, alas, seeing as this will now be the team's third funeral in a span of six months, all I can think is "ANOTHER death?" And it shouldn't make me feel this way, because Pruitt's ending was actually handled well. 

Ryan's death was an out of nowhere and sadly a bit true of a kid pretending to play with a real gun. It's Rigo that still rubs everything wrong. His wife cheated on him from the time they were married and constantly. He knew it, other people knew it, but instead of divorcing her ass or getting counseling, he beat people up. Then they all just hand waved it as: "well, I did sleep with his life." Then Pruitt revealed Rigo had anger issues since his father died, who was under his command when he was first a captain. Then they go kill him off because: "I won't listen to Jack." Plus Maya instead of getting them separated or sitting Rigo down and going: "Why the hell are you married to that cheating manipulative bitch?" She just let's him continue working. Then of course, Eva is all "sad" with Rigo's death, but hey here's some life insurance money. All good and now let's never speak of you again. It was so half assed and then when you give us a character we love, have seen since day 1. Goes out heroically it isn't as emotional because we just dealt with two previously deaths in less than 6 weeks. So, it feels like they are wiping the board of characters for a knee jerk. 

Since the show is getting another season, I be happy if they take Dixon, Eva and Dixon's in the closet son with them in a massive fire too. We won't miss them. 

• Love 2

I thought that Pruitt's death was a good death; he was going to die anyway, he'd made his peace with it, and he got to go out saving his daughter.  Agree that too many people on this show are dying. I dropped it for a while after Vic's fiance died but the bodies are just piling up.

Vic and Jackson are still awful. They're always game-playing rather than communicating.

Sullivan vs the ICE agents was the most I'd enjoyed a storyline on this show rather than it being living wallpaper. The line from on of the agents "We're just following orders" was a straight pull from the Nuremburg trials but it has been said by millions in other situations. A reflection of  Arendt's "banality of evil".

I'm switching back and forth on whether it was a good thing to write Sullivan's grandfather unrepentant or a cop-out. I suspect that many believing in an extremist cause later regret their action so it would have humanized the ICE agents, on the other hand many don't change their views and so that's realistic too. What is not realistic is that Sullivan lived in the same house with him for 5 more years and didn't say a word to the man he used to love.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Does anyone know what book/poem Pruitt was reading to Andy at the end of tonight's episode? The line I managed to remember was "there is no life to be lived in the ashes" and I'd like to remember the rest. Thank you!

Death is the only situation where the writers have Andy spend the entire episode in bed and not have one sex scene. I'm sure there were temptations in the writing room to put one in (no pun).

I would be really surprised if Maya survives this. 

Once Jack found out the man doesn't know sign language,  he immediately determined he was "no good" . Mind your business Jack.

Why would Jack assume there wouldn't be an arson investigation?

The wife can't hide from the husband forever. What is the next plan Jack?

Saying "fireman" is so 1950? 

Even in a dream lying in bed, Pruitt can't remove his shoes.

Vic's face after Emmitt's announcement was funny. 

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

For a fairly grim episode I did snicker when Maya told Sullivan she knew he was with Andy.

Not that I'm a fan of Dixon but I did like that they aren't glossing over the fact that Pruitt was a civilian and shouldn't have been up there.

Dean you'd better have an ironclad will if you want Pru far away from Mama Miller.

Seriously, Andy be tripping.

Glad that Jack's friend Marsha is doing better. 

I think Jack is gonna be pretty hurt when he finds out about Andy and Sullivan. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Should I remember who Jack's friend that took in the wife and kid is?

That fire chief is seriously an asshole, even if he is right that Pruitt shouldn't have been up there. The guy was a firefighter for years and was about to die anyway. He knew what he was doing.

I did like Maya saying crying doesn't make her weak because men cry when they win the super bowl. Didn't like her mentioning her gold medal again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

My shows are starting to run together, I guess.  When Vic was telling about her first call on duty I thought to myself 'hey, the woman-stuck-in-the-window-with-poo couldn't have happened a while back because it just happened'. Then I realized that the exact same story was on an episode of '9.1.1.' several weeks ago (except the woman managed to drop the bundle of yuck out the window). Does this sort of thing happen much in real life? 🙂 

I liked the episode okay, but everyone was right when they told the newbie that he really, really needs to let his fiance in on his big news. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, shantown said:

Does anyone know what book/poem Pruitt was reading to Andy at the end of tonight's episode? The line I managed to remember was "there is no life to be lived in the ashes" and I'd like to remember the rest. Thank you!

I think it just may have been dialog written for the episode.  Here is the complete passage that I found.

Pruitt: If you see a fire put it out, then move on to the next one. Whatever you do, don’t stick around once the fire’s out. There is no life to be lived in the ashes. Let them blow away.
Andy: Good night, daddy.
Pruitt: Good night, Andrea.
Andy: Good-bye, daddy.
Pruitt: See you later.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

So, for an episode dealing with Pruitt's death...it could have been better. I think what ruined this was the three other deaths they had to deal with since the end of last season, so this one felt underwhelming. We should have seen Pruitt get his funeral, but they glossed right over that because...well, we have now seen two separate funerals from Ripley and Ryan. And then we should have also seen the team talk to a therapist about dealing with the death of their old fire captain...except, whoops, we saw that with Rigo's death.

So, now we get Chief Dixon being a cartoon villain by demanding NO FIREFIGHTER FUNERAL so...we get a firefighter photoshoot instead.

Now, the Andy plot was actually very well done. I have, in the past, criticized Jaina Lee Ortiz for her acting....but she was honestly excellent in this episode. She's been excellent all season, even with her dumbass storyline with Sullivan (more on that in a bit). She's definitely elevated scenes this season, but this episode was a very strong one for her.

Now, back to the whole Sullivan stuff...that's what lowers Andy's story for me. I hate that they got married on a whim. Now, I know the show did it just because they knew Pruitt was getting killed off and they wanted him at her wedding, which shows that they're going to try to keep Andy/Sullivan together for a while. But it's just annoying that the two are still getting to know each other but are now married. 

Vic crying on and off about Sullivan was...decent, I guess, but I was getting tired of it by the third breakdown. I still want her to talk about Ripley, though. However, it WAS nice for the show to remember that Vic/Travis are supposed to be best friends. They haven't been sharing scenes at all this season because of Vic/Dean, Vic/Jackson, and Travis/Emmett. So I'm glad they got back to that here. 

Also, Emmett gets to share scenes with someone else! Even though it's with Ben and it's mostly to get Ben to find out the truth about Sullivan. I can't blame Ben for feeling the need to turn Sullivan in....but man, do you know how many times Ben has gotten into trouble on Grey's because of shit he's pulled illegally? So for Ben, of all people, to start holding Sullivan to a higher standard...either it's BECAUSE he knows that he's gotten away with shit or he's a hypocrite. 

Jack and Dean's story with the abusive family was alright, but felt a bit out of place. I'm glad that we're seeing more of Jack's old lady friend and that she took the mother and son in. I'm wondering now where Jack's story is heading. It seems to be going somewhere, but I can't decide where.

Emmett comes out. Ok? Is Chief Dixon going to become an even worse cartoon villain when he finds out? Or is Emmett going to continue to be a piece of shit and try to hide his sexuality from his dad? Because he's out now, so he can't really hide that anymore. I'm willing to bet that Chief Dixon finds out and he isn't happy, because this show is very predictable when it comes to him.

So, Dean elects Ben to be Pru's guardian....maybe Ben should ask his wife before accepting.

Maya gets reprimanded for Pruitt's death, but I guess we shall see what consequences she truly faces. I am glad for Maya shutting down Chief Dixon's sexism. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Did Andy get some of Sullivan's drugs, because she was seriously tripping out. So are we going to find out some new information about Andy's mom soon? They keep referencing her and that she had a secret or was bitter about not becoming a firefighter or something, it seems like its going to become a thing. Does she visit Andy in a dream or something? I mean, its not the first ghost to be seen in this universe! 

As far as the episode following Pruitts death, it was alright. The stuff with Andy was extremely melodramatic, but the acting was really good so that managed to work, but most of the rest was just kind of...there. Its probably because we have had so many deaths happen so quickly lately within the cast, that it all just kind of blurs together. We had the huge shocking death of Ripley last season that we are still dealing with, then Ryan and Rico, and we just did whole plots about dealing with grief, with funerals and counseling and stuff, so what is there left now? When you kill off so many characters so quickly one right after the other, its just hard to really care as much. 

Jack has really been dealing with a lot of his childhood trauma lately, its like it pops up on half his calls. His friend looks really familiar, but I dont exactly remember how he knows her or what her deal is, but she seems nice and lord knows Jack needs friends that he probably wont sleep with. The abusive family stuff was alright, but with everything else going on and so soon after Pruitts death, it felt kind of tacked on, like it didn't get the attention a story like this needs. I think that Jack is really going to be hurt by Andy marrying Sullivan, not just because she is his ex and she just married her boyfriend/superior officer after like a week, but she is also his friend/roommate, and she hid this from him. Plus, its got to hurt that Andy, who he was clearly in love with, refused to commit to even really dating him, while she marries a guy she hardly knows after date two!

I dont hate Sullivan/Andy, but I dont like that they're married, it just seems really stupid to me, and it screams "we knew Pruitt was dying so we need Andy to be in this place now!" instead of anything that seemed right for these characters. Now that everyone is going to find out its going to be a bunch of pointless drama, and, again, they hardly even know each other! 

Even when Dixon is upset about things that are pretty reasonable, like a retired fireman no longer on duty being allowed to run into a burning building, he is still such an unreasonable dick about it, that you cant take it seriously. Him not letting Pruitt have his full funeral, despite dying saving the lives of a whole squad of firefighters, is just such an amazing dick move. Followed by him being a sexist dickhead to Maya, because of course. I mean, I think his crowning moment of dickhead so far was probably still when he was saying how the guys up above had all been basically hoping for Sullivan to die because he didn't do good enough PR. And he said that to Sullivan, one of Ripley's best friends! 

Of course even when Maya isn't being awful anymore and is actually showing some compassion and shutting down sexism, she still has to humble brag about her gold medal. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, tomorrowgirl said:

I think it just may have been dialog written for the episode.  Here is the complete passage that I found.

Pruitt: If you see a fire put it out, then move on to the next one. Whatever you do, don’t stick around once the fire’s out. There is no life to be lived in the ashes. Let them blow away.

Thank you! I know the dialog was a little cheesy, but I just really liked the message there. (Also between the wave speech on The Good Place and the "fire's out" speech here and a couple real-life eulogies, I've been in a weird place regarding death metaphors!)

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

His friend looks really familiar, but I dont exactly remember how he knows her or what her deal is,

She was the lady from the therapy episode that Jack was talking about with the tree, right? Her tree burned down and he went over on a call and something happened, and the episode ended with her going over to help her out. I think....it kind of all blurs together.

18 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

but she is also his friend/roommate, and she hid this from him.

Exactly. They JUST moved in together and now she's clearly going to move out so she can move in with her new husband. And Jack didn't even get the memo until way later, so I won't blame him for being upset.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, Dean elects Ben to be Pru's guardian....maybe Ben should ask his wife before accepting.

Yeah, huh?  Maybe there was going to be a conversation about it on an episode of Grey's which was not filmed due to COVID.  We shall see if it comes up (not really an issue unless Miller does in fact die, and I don't see the show going there, at least not at this juncture).

Didn't Ben's wife Bailey bring a teenage boy to live with them without telling Ben first?  Of course he thought it was ok, so maybe he feels like she'd feel the same way if he brought Pru home.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Didn't Ben's wife Bailey bring a teenage boy to live with them without telling Ben first?  Of course he thought it was ok, so maybe he feels like she'd feel the same way if he brought Pru home.  

Well, it's because Ben has a long history of doing things like this without talking to Bailey first, and that's kind of the source of some of their issues a couple of seasons back. For example, Ben has switched careers about three times now while he's been with Bailey, and has never consulted her on any of these job changes. 

At least, with the foster kid they have (Joey), Bailey and Ben were discussing having another kid.

Now, I think Bailey would be fine with the idea of taking in Pru if something happened to Dean, but I think it would have been better (and character growth on Ben's part) if he told Dean that he needed to talk to his wife first. And, with the death rate for the station in the past year, I'd be very worried about the possibility of them taking Pru in much sooner than they would expect. Though I do think Dean is safe and he won't be dying any time soon (unless the actor chooses to leave). 

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Even when Dixon is upset about things that are pretty reasonable, like a retired fireman no longer on duty being allowed to run into a burning building, he is still such an unreasonable dick about it, that you cant take it seriously. Him not letting Pruitt have his full funeral, despite dying saving the lives of a whole squad of firefighters, is just such an amazing dick move. Followed by him being a sexist dickhead to Maya, because of course. I mean, I think his crowning moment of dickhead so far was probably still when he was saying how the guys up above had all been basically hoping for Sullivan to die because he didn't do good enough PR. And he said that to Sullivan, one of Ripley's best friends! 

Of course even when Maya isn't being awful anymore and is actually showing some compassion and shutting down sexism, she still has to humble brag about her gold medal. 

I know, Dixon is a walking cliche, he is an asshole to everyone because he can be. He is completely a hypocrite on everything and now we find out he is a sexist too. I mean, if there is any character anyone wants to see die next, it's Dixon. Even his reasons why he "forced" Emmett into his career was because he wants his son to be in public office some day. Huh? Yeah, I can't wait to see what happens when he finds out his son is gay and has been stringing his soon to be ex-fiance (I should have asked him earlier why we weren't engaged, so I'll just do it instead). Plus, the fact that he was even "thought of" to be the new chief. Then again, after getting Ripley's back story, how he made it to fire chief is also confusing. We saw in flashbacks and from other people telling stories. He was good as "following the rules", but he made a lot of mistakes in the heat of the moment. Dixon they have spotting off how he hates having his ass being yelled at by the city council and about politics. Then he pulls some major BS on the job and in his personal life. Of course, they have to have "drama" instead of someone who is you know competent in the job and can be a leader without swinging their badge around going: "I'm the boss, I tell you to jump and you will ask how high." 

• Useful 1

I'd love to see a scene of Andy telling the team how her dad measured her height in the station growing up and then saying Dean needs to do the same with baby Pru. I feel like it would be nice moment of mourning/acceptance. 

• Love 3
On 4/17/2020 at 11:23 AM, tennisgurl said:

Did Andy get some of Sullivan's drugs, because she was seriously tripping out.

She said that Ben gave her of women's shelters in Seattle to help her sleep,

Is there a shortage that the woman needed Jack to find her and her son a place to stay/

On 4/18/2020 at 11:36 PM, statsgirl said:

She said that Ben gave her of women's shelters in Seattle to help her sleep,

Is there a shortage that the woman needed Jack to find her and her son a place to stay/

I figured that he felt that having her stay with his friend, it would be much less likely for husband to find her AND it would be good for the older lady, too.  

• Love 2

I learned something ne today. Danielle Savre's older sister Stephanie is a firefighter and is now her stunt double! The sisters look *so much* alike. And Danielle is far nicer than Maya, at least in this video.

• Useful 2

Man, I don't ever want Dr. Self Righteous Warren ticked at me. I'm not saying he was wrong but man he came at Sullivan hard.

I'm over Dixon. Very, very over both Sr. and Jr.

Glad Andy and Jack were able to talk. And that Jack is still seeing the therapist. 

Starting to get a bad feeling about Andy's ability to commit to her marriage. 

Maya your father was 1000% abusive. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Man, I don't ever want Dr. Self Righteous Warren ticked at me. I'm not saying he was wrong but man he came at Sullivan hard.

I'm over Dixon. Very, very over both Sr. and Jr.

Glad Andy and Jack were able to talk. And that Jack is still seeing the therapist. 

Starting to get a bad feeling about Andy's ability to commit to her marriage. 

Maya your father was 1000% abusive. 

I don't know who is worse, May's father and the shit he did and continues to do. or Dixon in the fact he still sees no fault he got a family of 3 killed and then called in a favor to magically transfer from the police force and later become fire chief. Yeah, can the previous for next week, that woman take out both JR and SR Dixon, we won't miss either of them. As for Maya's father. I like that NOW the mother is going over what a piece of shit she married. Why now? Because the story demands it or did she learn her son is living homeless?

It is very difficult for women to get out of an abusive situation; the statistic is that it takes 7 times before a woman finally leaves. It's even more difficult to identify if the situation is emotional abuse and not physical.

It may have taken years of therapy for Maya's mother to recognize how abusive her husband is and get the courage to leave. Maya still doesn't see it -- as far as she's concerned, his 'tough love' got her a gold metal and the position as the youngest captain in the city. It's not unusual for a child to blame the other parent and have a Stockholm Situation with the abusive parent.

• Love 8
(edited)

The real Seattle Fire Department should be embarrassed these people are representing them.

An inept Fire Chief, a limp Battalion Chief on drugs, an unstable Fire Captain, a coward probation Fire Fighter, a Fire Fighter with PTSD, an incident commander that can't get the hose in on time (that one didn't sound right).

If Sullivan needed a witness. I would have vouched for him to Ben that he never left the firehouse at anytime he was on drugs. On a call, Ben had no need to worry about Sullivan putting his life in danger. Since he was appointed Battalion Chief, he made only one appearance in the field (what exactly is he paid to do?).

Why bother kill off Pruitt if he is going to keep showing up with these guest appearances?

There are multiple fire engines outside the bowling alley, what took so long to bring in the hoses? The SFD did poor Walter wrong!  

Some of those kids looked old enough to know to run out if there is a fire and not sit under a table.

Oh Sullivan! Your marriage was over before it began! He will be in need of stronger drugs when Andy eventually lets him down!

Now I'm ready for Maya to be demoted or transferred! 

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Now I'm ready for Maya to be demoted or transferred! 

Don't worry! I'm sure that'll happen when Dixon calls in his favour to make Emmett the new Lieutenant in order to make sure that Emmett doesn't go running into fires!

Seriously, this episode was kind of a mess. Andy admits that her marriage is probably a mistake. It's clear that they got married too fast and now Andy knows that it was. And, with Sullivan deciding to tell everyone while Andy was saying "Uh, wait, I don't want to", this is definitely already adding more reasons why marriage was a bad idea for the longevity of their overall relationship.

Ben, typical Ben, acting self righteous and deciding to give a holier than thou attitude toward his boss. Even though Ben is right, he always talks to people of power as if he's on the same level and without much respect or tact. Hey, at least he plans to take down Dixon. Hopefully in a burning fire.

And Dixon is an asshole who lets the drugs and the marriage slide...for reasons, I guess? 

Maya doesn't realize that she was abused by her father. I guess it's realistic? However, then that just further proves how poor the writing is on this show, since in Maya's flashback, her father was being cartoonishly abusive. Oh, but then in the end, Maya tells her girlfriend that she ISN'T in denial but pissed! So...she DOES know?

Jack's PTSD issues rear its ugly head once more. At least it's realistic for it to have come back up. Of course, Andy tried to threaten to go to her husband about it....while being a hypocrite since her husband also broke rules and endangered his life, as well as others, to go running back into a burning building just for Andy. And no, I don't necessarily mean that he killed Pruitt....but he became one more body that needed to be saved.

And Dean finds a new love interest, and Vic...snaps at him to...go date her? Vic is all OVER the place this season. I still believe that they're heading toward a Dean/Vic romance, but I still wish that wasn't the case.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

It is very difficult for women to get out of an abusive situation; the statistic is that it takes 7 times before a woman finally leaves. It's even more difficult to identify if the situation is emotional abuse and not physical.

It may have taken years of therapy for Maya's mother to recognize how abusive her husband is and get the courage to leave. Maya still doesn't see it -- as far as she's concerned, his 'tough love' got her a gold metal and the position as the youngest captain in the city. It's not unusual for a child to blame the other parent and have a Stockholm Situation with the abusive parent.

This. Add in that abusive partners isolate you from everyone which makes it even harder. 

My marriage was abusive hell and it was mainly emotional/mental. I was lucky because my family was always in the picture. However, financially it would have been near impossible for me to leave without my parents. 

I'll be really honest but I have absolutely blocked so many memories and times. I don't think about it because if I do, it opens a floodgate. I don't enjoy reliving it and I can't. I suspect that's what Maya has done. You make excuses and justify the behavior. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Court said:

This. Add in that abusive partners isolate you from everyone which makes it even harder. 

My marriage was abusive hell and it was mainly emotional/mental. I was lucky because my family was always in the picture. However, financially it would have been near impossible for me to leave without my parents. 

I'll be really honest but I have absolutely blocked so many memories and times. I don't think about it because if I do, it opens a floodgate. I don't enjoy reliving it and I can't. I suspect that's what Maya has done. You make excuses and justify the behavior. 

Abuse seems to be the theme this year. You have Maya's father. Rigo with how he beat people up for Eva's cheating, which was not only stupid, but that when they killed him off, they just said the story was over. Dixon is also abusive to Everett as he told him: "Change majors, wants him to be in politics (even though he hates it), doesn't want him to die, and blackmails firefighters under him. The problem is Dixon is more of a public figure, so just the smallest info getting out will sink his career. With Maya's father if you have it where people knew Maya was made to walk home 20 MILES and no one was saying anything. Plus, add in that because of the abuse was making Maya push herself and achieving, but then add in that her mother was quiet and her brother ended up homeless because of it. That plays more into either making peace with it or never having anything come of it.

Like my father-in-law, he boarded on being stern to emotional abuse, but himself back to not go very far. Sadly, he still kept that attitude of always wanting to be right and ALWAYS feeling had to know more than anyone else. The only problem was, me and my brother and sister inlaws shut him down very fast because as adults, we didn't buy into his BS views. 

• Love 1

At this point, other than Dean, I can't think of a single character that I really like now.  I really hope they don't pair him with Vic.

Also, that horny female Grey's Anatomy doctor needs to go.  Maya should have explained to her that it was inappropriate for them to be canoodling at her place of work and sent her away. 

• Love 1

Jack actually took the news of Andy's shotgun wedding better than I thought he would. He was more concerned that Andy had made a mistake than pissed off, even though he was also clearly hurt. The poor guy really does have a habit of falling for women who will never feel that way about him, or treat him badly then ditch him like a used tissue. It probably stems from his turbulent and implied to be abusive childhood as a foster kid, which leads him to be with unavailable women who will inevitably treat him badly (Andy was probably his best relationship that we have seen that I can remember, and she didn't even want to hold his hand in public!) and that mixed with PTSD just makes for a perfect storm of messiness. I am glad that Andy and he were able to talk, even if it involved Andy almost telling her husband to take him out of the field. At least he is actually still getting therapy, which means he is probably making better life choices than half of this station, who need ALL of the therapy. 

So now Andy is realizing that she probably made a mistake marrying her boss after dating him for two weeks when she realized that her dad was terminal (shocking!) while Sullivan is going full steam ahead. Oops! This is gonna be awkward. 

Maya is really not in a place where she can really examine her past and how much her dads abuse has affected her, but I am glad that her mom is. I wonder what her ignored brother is up to these days? Mayas dad was so over the top horrible, I am happy to see that at least some one noticed. 

Poor bowling ally guy and his granddaughter. I feel like the firefighters could have done a whole lot more to save him, they just ditched him to focus totally on the kids, when they seemed to have enough people to save everyone. Yeah he told Dean to save the kids, but that doesn't mean they were now obligated to leave him to burn to death! If I was his granddaughter I would be pissed, especially about Maya told her to fuck off when she asked if they were going to save him. At least Dean was there to give the poor girl a hug and her grandpas dying words. 

Warren really goes hard on the self ritiousness doesn't he? Not that he was wrong, but damn he really went hard after Sullivan (who is still his boss!) and then after Dixon, who is his bosses boss! Of course Dixon is the worst, and has done all kinds of awful things to get to the top. Because, again, he is the worst, and I can only hope he gets his.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Warren really goes hard on the self ritiousness doesn't he? Not that he was wrong, but damn he really went hard after Sullivan (who is still his boss!) and then after Dixon, who is his bosses boss! Of course Dixon is the worst, and has done all kinds of awful things to get to the top. Because, again, he is the worst, and I can only hope he gets his.

Dixon's words: "You don't understand how politics work." Just shows he doesn't know how "being ethical words." I mean he forced his son into a life he not only didn't want, but then is a hypocrite about not wanting him "in danger" and even Maya and Andy are calling him a liability. Then to find out he let the Mayor's son go who was not only drunk, but also got a family of 3 killed and then the kid got one night in jail. Apparently this family of 3 had no other relatives who would have sued the kid's ass. Plus apparently this was not only years ago, but the same person is still mayor. Then add into the fact that Dixon is screw up not only Station 19, but also other fire departments on how they should act. I don't care what favors or being a shill for the Mayor, eventually he is going to be a ton of people dead and then the City Council will not only fire him, he probably wouldn't be able to get a job as a janitor. I know Station 19 is getting another season, but they better not set up Dixon like this and not have it to where he gets his comeuppance.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Now that I'm not posting from my phone I have more thoughts.

I wasn't a Jack fan when this show started but he's growing on me. I really appreciated that he didn't go the 'you said no to me but yes to him' route but instead legit focused on Andy making a very snap decision and being willing to help her with the repercussions. He could have just gotten rightfully pissed: they had been sleeping together not long ago (however casual it might have been), she previously turned him down saying she didn't want marriage and they are currently roommates, which kinda screws Jack financially. But he didn't. He went the supportive friend route instead. I kinda love it. Plus continuing with therapy of his own accord instead of being forced like last time. Good job!

Oh Andy you are indeed a mess. I hope you aren't about to break Sullivan's heart because he really went all in on this. And if you weren't ready then you should have said that. If you can make adult decisions, you can have adult discussions. I guess only time will tell here. I do think she had a good point about Jack's PTSD though and I was glad she brought it up. That is good friend/co-worker/roommate stuff. 

I think Vic is going to have some *feelings* about Andy and Sullivan having what got taken from her with Ripley. Her face said a lot when Sullivan made that announcement.

Maya you need therapy. Like now. Your father was awful and you have a lot to process there. Like foundations of your life and everything you've achieved being shook up. Get help! Carina come back when she's better. You do not deserve the shitstorm of a unsettled Maya.

What exactly is going to happen to all those calendars now that the funeral has been approved? 

I'm looking forward to having Dixon brought down. I'd love to see Ben tap into some connections through Grey-Sloan. You can't tell me a hospital that size doesn't have their own political connections not to mention what pressures Catherine Fox could choose to bring. 

However. Ben, you-who-does-surgery-in-an-elevator, need to be a lot more circumspect. The conversation with Sullivan absolutely had to happen but that was not the way to do it. You are lucky it ended as well as it did. Basically blaming him for Pruitt's death was not the way to go and you know it. Like the family bit with Bailey and the boys. Sorry Bailey. All teenage boys eat like they're being starved. And it was very sweet that Grey-Sloan passed the hat for Pruitt's funeral.

I'm waiting for Ben to offer to pull strings to get baby Pru a place in the Grey-Sloan magical daycare/child warehouse that seems to be were all the kids spend their time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Sorry, I'm going to nit-pick here...it was a family of 5

Yes, Maya, your dad was abusive-there is a difference between that and tough love.

Rolling my eyes at the fact there will be no repercussions for Sullivan, but do want to see Dixon go down.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Ohwell said:

At this point, other than Dean, I can't think of a single character that I really like now.  I really hope they don't pair him with Vic.

Also, that horny female Grey's Anatomy doctor needs to go.  Maya should have explained to her that it was inappropriate for them to be canoodling at her place of work and sent her away. 

You expect someone to say something like that in shondaland?

• LOL 3
On 5/1/2020 at 11:06 AM, tennisgurl said:

I wonder what her ignored brother is up to these days? Mayas dad was so over the top horrible, I am happy to see that at least some one noticed. 

Last we saw him was in Season 1 when they found him with the various homeless camp. Maya even offering to get him set up with a friend and his exact words: "No, I'm not going anywhere and DON'T tell mom and dad, especially Dad!" Apparently he rather live on the streets and be prone to diseases than talk to his abusive father. Granted, I highly doubt they had that planned way back then when the show was first on. However, it does explain why the brother rather live on the streets and why he told Maya: "You were always the favorite." Basically him dealing with the abusive thinking he was nothing and didn't want to prove his father right. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

What the actual crap has happened to this show? Ye Flippin' Ghods, just rename it to High School Firehouse and have done with it. I liked it in the first season. They at least got the firefighting somewhat right despite some over-the-top drama. Now this show is written for people with the IQ of a small soap dish.

The building is a one story bowling alley with fire showing near one wall. All of a sudden the whole thing is becoming a raging inferno and the roof collapses? There's so much wrong there that my head is spinning. A commercial structure like that with public access would almost certainly be protected by sprinklers. If they failed (yes, it happens), then a hose line or three upon arrival would have gotten it in short order. 

Walter's crush injury probably would have been fatal, but if that fire was as bad as portrayed why wouldn't there have been a heavy rescue company for the pin job (sorry, bad pun), and a couple of 2-1/2s working on suppression? Such horseshit. Of course, in real life that would have gone to 2 or 3 alarms if the fire started spreading.

But here's the thing. Bowling alleys, the lanes themselves, are almost all made of an artificial surface that is NOT flammable. If they were old lanes then the oiled hardwood would take flame, but wouldn't go up so fast that an inch-and-3/4 or a 2-1/2 wouldn't get it out in seconds.

Why are kids over the age of about 7 or 8 on TV shows always portrayed as helpless waifs incapable of independent thought and self preservation? I'm sure that by the time a child is 8,9, or 10 years old they've been repeatedly taught what an emergency exit sign is and what to do those frequent school fire drills. We had 5 or 6 a year when I was in my first elementary school around ages 6 or 7, and we had one or two kids trained to lead the others out (surprise surprise, I was one of them) if there wasn't an adult in the room for whatever reason, and where to assemble. 

So the roof collapsed right over top of where they were. Do a quick assessment of the damage and how stable the rubble is. Drop a ladder down if it's not too bad, or position a half dozen members strategically to pick the kids up and pass them along. Breaching the wall the way they did was utterly ridiculous.

I don't mind the occasional character crossover on the One Chicago shows, but this show assumes that the viewer knows every plot on the other show. I don't care about any of those characters since I have never watched Grey's and don't plan to.

Dixon's downfall will be well deserved. And can you imagine what a reputable news organization would do in this woke age when they find out that the head of the fire service was once a copper whose actions allowed a family to die.

Bishop's captains bars need to go away. End game is obviously Andy's captaincy. Hell, with her skills and instincts she should be putting in for battalion chief; she sees the big picture probably better than most.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I have two questions that have been bothering me since the last episode:

1.  The episode opened with a meet-cute between Dean and a woman with an earring stuck in her ear. Why did she go to a fire station to get it taken out instead of, you know, a medical centre with doctors and nurses?

2. Pruitt said that a cop let the drunk mayor's kid go, and Ben later figured out that the cop was Dixon.Sr.  How did he get from being a cop to running the fire department.? Aren't those two different jobs?

I have learned from Chicago Fire that every firefighter is also a paramedic but this amount of crossing over seems ridiculous.

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I have two questions that have been bothering me since the last episode:

1.  The episode opened with a meet-cute between Dean and a woman with an earring stuck in her ear. Why did she go to a fire station to get it taken out instead of, you know, a medical centre with doctors and nurses?

Exactly, unless he lived you know, down the block or didn't have insurance, then that was a far cheaper and easier routine. The house where I grew up was 2 blocks from the fire/police station. My parents and later my friends who were police/fire fighters would have people show up if it was something like that. One time, a person had a piece of glass from throwing out the garage in their hand. A friend of my mother said he went right next door, the paramedic pulled the piece out, bandaged it and sent a $25 bill to the house to cover time, badges and antiseptics. This was 2005. 

2. Pruitt said that a cop let the drunk mayor's kid go, and Ben later figured out that the cop was Dixon.Sr.  How did he get from being a cop to running the fire department.? Aren't those two different jobs?

Yeah, unless he decided to then switch from the police to fire fighting after that family of 5 died and the kid just got a night in jail. He could have also been an example of realizing he would want to get far away from being a cop and stay in public service. Then again, we are also to believe that NO ONE from that family that died would question or sue the mayor's son for reckless homicide where I'm pretty sure Pruitt wasn't the only one who knew what REALLY happened. Then again, shows like to tote around the "boys' club" protection crap when it comes to fire/police shows. 

• Useful 1

It's not unheard of that a cop decides that the fire service is more in line with his career goals and takes the test to hire on. One could speculate that maybe he knew his career in the police department was over (no promotion from patrolman would ever come through), and/or his supervisor could pull a few strings to get him into the Fire academy with a clean slate and perhaps a chance to make good for his misdeed. Again, these kinds of things really do happen (or at least did, before the current social attitudes).

To be promoted within the fire service, in real life, is not trivial. Firefighter, apparatus officer, assistant battalion chief, BC, district chief, assistant deputy chief, deputy chief, fire chief could be a typical path in a paid department. Politics plays into it a lot, obviously but you don't become a white helmet without being able to take full command of the fireground and know what's going on at every stage of the attack.

If you don't already know your own son is a liability on a scene then you haven't earned the rank. Dixon the Lesser would definitely not survive more than a few weeks in real life either. If you can't trust members of your company, or if your probie is flat-out useless then there's no conceivable way you're going to roll out of the bay doors with an assclown like that in the jumpseat beside you. Respect the chain of command, yes, but make damned sure that the officer on the apparatus is well aware of this probie's limitations. Now that Bishop knows it's up to her to follow this through.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I can understand that Dixon Sr. might like to get off the police force after screwing up so badly in order to get the mayor to owe him.  I don't understand moving to the fire department though; it's a lot more dangerous in terms of day-to-day activity and requires a lot more physical effort.  He's a guy who manipulates to get ahead and does the minimum of work; he'd be great in the mob but I don't see him doing the physical work of being a fire fighter.

• Love 2

I could be wrong, but wasn't Dixon the police chief and then transferred to FD?  Could be after he did that favor for the mayor, he was fasttracked up the ladder at PD (Sgt, Lt, Capt, maybe Commander or Asst Chief and then the big job). What wasn't clear was why the lateral from police chief to fire chief.  Or maybe I have it all wrong.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, transitfan said:

I could be wrong, but wasn't Dixon the police chief and then transferred to FD?  Could be after he did that favor for the mayor, he was fasttracked up the ladder at PD (Sgt, Lt, Capt, maybe Commander or Asst Chief and then the big job). What wasn't clear was why the lateral from police chief to fire chief.  Or maybe I have it all wrong.

We knew he was part of the police force when the character was first introduced. He was originally a cop. Pruitt knew who he was (because he knows everyone) and was not happy with him getting the job. Also threatened to say things about him and the department if he didn't do something about cancer coverage under insurance. Complained about politics and reports to the city council. Then Everett revealed he was pulled out of college as a art history major because his father wanted him to be a politician. Also found out Everett found out he was bi-sex in college, but kept everything a secret since the secret would not only destroy his father's relationship, but his "girlfriend" would never recover. Yet snuck around with other guys. Pruitt of course got and more displeased with Dixon's actions with his son and apparently both FELT guilty about Rigo. Since Pruitt was the captain in charge when Rigo's father died and Dixon felt that Rigo needed to "get over himself". Yet NO ONE dealt with the true cause which was Eva, the wife. Granted, it's Rigo's wife and not anyone else, but just like with Maya either do your job and get the person pulled and into therapy, or tell him to GET THE HELL OUT!

Station 19 doesn't like to do the latter. 

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, transitfan said:

Yeah, I thought he just joined the FD when he became chief. It was a big deal that they hired an "outside" person instead of promoting within, wasn't it? I have no idea if that is realistic, but this is the universe of Grey's Anatomy, so that's really irrelevant.

I'm really hoping I'm not the only one belatedly realizing that Okieriete Onaodowan was in the Hamilton OBC. I'm discovering this as I read the Hamilton companion book that Lin-Manuel wrote.

Apparently Okieriete goes by 'Oak' 😀

• Useful 2
On 5/4/2020 at 9:28 PM, KaveDweller said:

Yeah, I thought he just joined the FD when he became chief. It was a big deal that they hired an "outside" person instead of promoting within, wasn't it? I have no idea if that is realistic, but this is the universe of Grey's Anatomy, so that's really irrelevant.

You have to love the Seattle Fire Department's hiring process.

1. Promote someone who makes big mistakes in the field when they should know better
  2. Person gets a family of five killed because they want to look good
  3. Person who has a HUGE career of success and training, but constantly doesn't want to be promoted and SHOULD be promoted, they just ignore
  4. People who show personal vendettas against stations, nah just let them keep doing it
  • Love 1
(edited)

I never thought of Grey-Sloan as a particularly healthy workplace. 

Then I met the Station 19 crew....😁

$20 says Andy's mother is alive. 

Yes Dean, for the love if god do not become another piece of the 19 inter-dating morass.

Jack really is trying to be a good friend to Andy. Also he needs to keep doing the therapy.

Maya you are scum. I'm not a Carina fan but she doesn't deserve what Maya's dishing out. 

Glad Sullivan removed the blackmail.

It'd be nice if one person who professes to care about Andy would actually listen to her.

Andy, the drug crack was too low.

Hopefully no more Probie!

Travis and Vic: You do not get to be snotty about Andy and the battalion chief when Hughes was engaged to the DEPARTMENT chief not long ago.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I'm really hoping I'm not the only one belatedly realizing that Okieriete Onaodowan was in the Hamilton OBC. I'm discovering this as I read the Hamilton companion book that Lin-Manuel wrote.

Apparently Okieriete goes by 'Oak' 😀

I realized it when he showed up in a video with the Hamilton cast a couple weeks ago. I love it, it was so unexpected.

This show is definitely turning everything on its head this end of the season. I’m not a fan of undoing Pruitt’s legacy with Andy so suspicious that he’s a bad guy.

I actually feel really bad for the Probie. I liked seeing everyone teach, so I hope they pick up another one. I think it changed the dynamic of the group having to look out and teach a firefighter who hasn’t been in the house as long as the rest of them.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

$20 says Andy's mother is alive. 

$20 says Andy's aunt is her actual mother.

What a weirdly disjointed episode. I know there were three different plots going on, but they really felt so separate from each other. Not to mention the completely pointless flashback sequence just to have Pruitt show up and, I'm guessing, allowing the actor to reach his episode count.

This is the only time I felt bad for Probie. At least this time, it wasn't his fault and he deserved to be freaked out. I'm not surprised he wants to quit; the job isn't made for him and that's ok. 

Dean has a crush that he won't speak about? Must be Vic which....oh joy, another inter-team romance that'll be as much of a disaster as all of the other ones. 

Maya's just an asshole. I don't remember her being this awful in seasons 1 and 2. Yet, here we are, watching her lash out because she can't handle the truth and sleeping with her ex in the process. Is it realistic? No idea. Is it overdramatic and annoying? Yep. God, this also sets Jack back a lot for sleeping with a taken woman AGAIN. 

Just as much as them having Sullivan mention his dead parents what feels like constantly. Oh, and now they died in a plane crash! I half expected Sullivan to bust into the Dead Parents speech when he went to confront Dixon. 

Andy discovering that her parents weren't perfect? Well, they're both (presumably) dead so...not sure if I fully care, but at least it beats all the other plots going on.

Andy/Maya aren't friends, at this point. They can stop pretending like they are, since they're always fighting whenever they do share scenes together. 

Jackson gets shot...but escapes relatively unscathed. 

Also, the timeline was super wonky in this episode. It apparently took the PRT a long ass time to get from destination to destination, or they had scenes take place out of order, since Jack was able to find out about Jackson getting shot, got to the fire station, told Maya, and then had sex with her BEFORE the scene where Bailey finds out that Jackson was shot.

1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Travis and Vic: You do not get to be snotty about Andy and the battalion chief when Hughes was engaged to the DEPARTMENT chief not long ago.

To be fair, Vic and Ripley had been in a relationship for months at that point. I think they were nearing six months together? While Andy/Sullivan haven't even been a thing for a full month. 

At this point, I'd take Grey Sloan Mercy Death over Station 19 and their drama. At least I could hide from the crazy that is the hospital. The fire station is too small to not get involved. 

• Love 6