Type keyword(s) to search

Station 19 - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

So. No fires this season?

I don't like Robert. I have tried and tried to like him, but I just don't like him. 

Jack's so happy and healthy these days,. He's the only one on the show who's not in a boatload of pain, and I would not have ever guessed he'd be the one who wound up happy. I do think that if (now I can't remember her name) dies, he and Inara and (the kid whose name I also can't remember) will probably lose the apartment, because it looks like (woman who took them in) hadn't got her paperwork in order and if she has a will at all, or even if she doesn't, it will all go to her son. I guess it's okay because Jack does have a job. They won't be homeless. But it's sad anyway. I handwave the cheesiness of the ladder truck at the window. But don't overdo it, show. We don't need to send watchers into diabetic shock.

Honestly, Vic and GuyWhoGotMichaelKilled shouldn't be having that conversation in the station and Vic should have come clean with Travis right away. She didn't know, then she knew. That was when she should have told him, or else she should have 100% never told him nor let him find out. I'm getting kind of sick of Vic.

I hope they handle the lawsuit will, but I'm worried. This show is not what I'd call deft. It's a good and righteous topic to tackle, though.

I didn't blame Maya for freaking out a bit. Carina and FriendIHadALotOfSexWith sure were lighting up the room and closing Maya out. And Friend wasn't subtle about her lack of respect for Maya, so it wasn't just insecurity over their closeness, it was also that she was being openly insulted in her own home. Carina should have defended her at least, or told FuckBuddyFriend to knock off the snark. 

You know, I'm not missing Pruitt or Andy's long lost family drama. DId they forget about all that? If so, I'm okay with that.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Honestly, Vic and GuyWhoGotMichaelKilled shouldn't be having that conversation in the station and Vic should have come clean with Travis right away. She didn't know, then she knew. That was when she should have told him, or else she should have 100% never told him nor let him find out. I'm getting kind of sick of Vic.

The problem is, even with "who is charge of the fire department this season" would have seen the report and be: "Oh, you know this guy was part of what lead to the death of said Station 19 spouse." "Sure it's been a lot of years, but can't take the chance they might still be mad and the other might still feel guilty." "Ah, the hell, we have a corrupt police section chief screwing with us, let's just do it." 

• Love 4

This episode seemed like the very definition of filler. The woman giving Inara and her son a home almost went home, and then she almost died but then she didn't. Carina's ex FWB dropped in without calling, was nice to Carina and very rude to Maya whose house it is but nothing changed. Dean dithered over his lawsuit and took one step forward. Andy and Sullivan had a marital/work problem that wasn't really resolved. Vic's new squeeze showed up at Station 19 and has history with Travis, dum dum dum.

• Love 3

I'm tired of all these personal stories.  I don't care.  I want to see more rescues.

I'll see this show through the end of this season, but I'm not sure I'll be back for the next one--that is, if it's renewed. 

• Love 1

Not a fire to be seen so far, have to make room for personal drama and speeches. Remember when this show had rescues and firefighting? Its getting more and more soap opera every week. 

Poor Jack seems really happy for the first time that I can remember, and now the old lady he has bonded with is probably going to die. At least Inara and her son can move in with Jack so they wont be homeless, and I see no reason for them to split up. I even thought his brief scene with Maya was cute, teasing her about how Inara doesn't hate her because she doesn't know her yet. 

I didn't even mind Maya getting jealous about Carina's former fuck buddy showing up, the lady was being really rude to her and Carina should have told her to knock that shit out. I cut her some slack as her brother just died, but she had to have known that her former friend with benefits showing up to crash with them would be weird for her. 

I knew there would have to be more drama with Vic and her new kind of boyfriend, but that sure was a doozy. I am sure that he has his own side of the story and its not like he straight up murdered Michael or anything, but I just do not see how she could make this work if she wants to stay besties with Travis. Especially because he seemed to be really defensive and pissy about it, accusing Travis of shoving a car on him and getting all up in Vic's face when she brought it up for the first time, he only seemed sorry when Vic almost left him and of course that's when Travis walked in. This was a terrible inappropriate conversation to have at work, but that is how this station rolls. I also want to know what moron stuck him in Station nineteen, the place where the guys husband he apparently got killed works. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, these are the same people who keep hiring the most incompetent and dickheaded people they can find. 

So they are going to be turning Miller's lawsuit into a whole subplot, and while this show isn't really great at doing issues in a way that really works (are are going to get a LOT of speechifying) I am glad that they are exploring the issue in depth. 

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I'll see this show through the end of this season, but I'm not sure I'll be back for the next one--that is, if it's renewed. 

It will be back once Greys is back. I think if this show goes on post Greys it won’t be for long.

• Useful 2
17 hours ago, readster said:

The problem is, even with "who is charge of the fire department this season" would have seen the report and be: "Oh, you know this guy was part of what lead to the death of said Station 19 spouse." "Sure it's been a lot of years, but can't take the chance they might still be mad and the other might still feel guilty." "Ah, the hell, we have a corrupt police section chief screwing with us, let's just do it." 

He was only there as a sub though - presumably because Jack took the day off - so it's likely that his name was next on the roster and he was sent to Station 19 because it was done automatically and nobody thought to put a note beside him on the subs register "do not under any circumstances sent this guy to 19, okay!"

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

He was only there as a sub though - presumably because Jack took the day off - so it's likely that his name was next on the roster and he was sent to Station 19 because it was done automatically and nobody thought to put a note beside him on the subs register "do not under any circumstances sent this guy to 19, okay!"

Yeah by now anyone going to Station 19 is either going to get someone killed or be killed. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ceindreadh said:

You would think he would know Travis worked at 19 though and said he couldn't do it. Also, you would think he would have known Vic probably knew Travis when he first heard where she worked. Unless Travis only switched to 19 after Michael died and the guy didn't know that. But at least the writers came up with a legit conflict for Vic's new romance. I thought Travis's issue with him was going to be lame, but this is not a small thing. Vic really should have said something as soon as she found out though.

Have we heard about how Michael died, other than it was in a fire? Because they run into burning buildings. I am sure firefighters sometimes die without there being a person to blame. 

Karina's friend was super rude. Don't keep talking Italian in front of Maya in her own house when you know she doesn't understand you. And don't keep talking about having lots of sex in front of your ex's new girlfriend. It was obviously making her uncomfortable.

• Love 7

To Andy and Sullivan:  Yes, we all know you two love sexxxay times together, but we don't need to see you two pawing each other and making googly eyes at the fire station almost every.damn.episode.   

Rant over.

• Love 4

I've been wondering if the lack of fires and the generally lowkey recuses this season are due to COVID and fires/other big action sequences being harder to film safely? On the other hand. 9-1-1 has done several fires and other big rescues this season, so I don't know. 

This episode definitely felt like filler, with just one too many storylines going on. I love the stuff with Travis and Vic and can't wait for next week, and was surprised at how light it was this week until the trailer for next week made it seem like that's going to be a bigger episode. The Jack stuff and Maya stuff were both pretty lowkey but still compelling. The Andy/Sullivan stuff, meh. That's the storyline I think they could've dropped for this one to give everything else a little more space to breathe. Agreed that the opening scene with them in bed was totally pointless. 

• Love 3

I liked this episode, I thought the Vic and Travis conversations were done well. I think focusing on that one storyline made it a stronger episode. 

Michael and Travis were a very cute couple, it really sucks that he died. And it sucks that the captain who was at fault was his friend because Travis lost one of his best friends too.

Those druggie kids....weren't they both brought to the hospital? Were they just released immediately so that they could take more drugs? They don't hold people in the hospital in situations like that.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Those druggie kids....weren't they both brought to the hospital? Were they just released immediately so that they could take more drugs? They don't hold people in the hospital in situations like that.

One thing that is true, if a hospital doesn't NEED to keep people at the hospital, especially during the pandemic, they would release them. HOWEVER... as it was pointed out one of them it was their third time that month at what point aren't the police called for illegal drug use? Oh right, the police HATE the fire department right now since the one former fire chief, you know the corrupt one that had the mayor on speed dial is making their lives very difficult, but you know, never appearing on camera except for two episodes. 

• Love 2

this show was hard to watch for me and not because the storylines moved me. I just don't think the writing/acting combination makes it work. It would seem better if they leaned back into fire rescue storylines and less yelling and crying scenes. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

this show was hard to watch for me and not because the storylines moved me. I just don't think the writing/acting combination makes it work. It would seem better if they leaned back into fire rescue storylines and less yelling and crying scenes. 

Exactly.  I thought Travis and Vic's yelling scene went on far too long.   This was a boring episode.

• Love 2

I actually really liked Travis and Vic's scene.  It felt raw and real, and I was thrilled that they talked it all out.  Most times, characters keep their mouths shut and just snipe at each other or hate on each other and never work through their issues.  I loved that they were both being super honest with each other.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, izabella said:

I actually really liked Travis and Vic's scene.  It felt raw and real, and I was thrilled that they talked it all out.  Most times, characters keep their mouths shut and just snipe at each other or hate on each other and never work through their issues.  I loved that they were both being super honest with each other.

Agreed! I enjoyed many of the conversations in this episode... either from personal experience, or from some beliefs I've chosen. I especially liked Travis's conversation with his dead husband on the phone, remembering to appreciate the "this of this" rather than worrying about the "end of this". Good vibes!

• Love 5

Jack's surrogate stepson shouldn't worry too much about Jack, we haven't had so much as a kitchen fire this season yet. 

I am glad we got some more context for what happened between Michael, Travis, and Vic's new boyfriend who was also their former best friend. Knowing how close they were just makes it all worse, it probably feels like even more of a betrayal (even if it was just a tragic mistake and not out of malice) and Travis also lost a close friend. Even if he can forgive him one day, its probably too late for them to become friends again, even seeing him is such a massive trigger. The episode long fight between Vic and Travis went on for ages, but I thought it was pretty good. I am glad they really talked it out instead of sniping at each other or just brushing it all over. Travis and Michael were really cute, its hard to blame Travis for not being over his death yet, but its sad that he is still lost so much in grief. Travis asking Vic if she even cared about Ripley was brutal, and I remember how some people in and out of universe were throwing shade at Vic for seeming to move on too quickly, but it seems like that's just how she processed. Too often people on this show have these huge things happen and never really deal with the fall out, so I am glad they really went hard on this. 

• Love 4

I will say, this past episode was probably one of the best ones they've had since the series started for me. Cutting down on storylines in the episode, plus only focusing on a few characters, really helped with the progression of the two main storylines without making the episode feel cluttered or rushed (even if some scenes, such as the Travis/Vic fight went on far longer than expected). Plus, Vic, Travis, and Jack seem to be my three favourite characters since I didn't miss a single other character. And they also really got me to enjoy Theo (I think that's the new character's name?). I thought that the show actually did a very good job at showing sympathy for his character while also showing sympathy for Travis' grief and why he's taking it out on his former best friend and that it's not completely irrational.

I actually did like Vic/Trav's fight and how that was slowly mended over the episode. They did a great job at calling back Ripley, since I think we all complained about how fast Vic seemed to move on from Ripley. And I liked seeing more flashbacks of Michael. It's a shame Michael's dead because more Jonathan Bennett would have been lovely to have on this show.

Even Jack's subplot was fairly well done. 

• Love 5

I can see why some felt like the Travis/Vic fight went on too long, but the length and passion of it really worked for me. It felt very realistic in the way that real arguments between friends or family members go, kind sprawling and unfocused and jumping from one topic to another basically until they get interrupted and have some time to cool down. 

Overall I really loved this episode. Loved the tight focus on one main storyline instead of a couple of minutes devoted to 6 different storylines, and I loved the added complexity to the backstory with Michael, that "Michael's captain" wasn't just his captain, he was both Michael and Travis's best friend. I liked Theo a lot and hope he sticks around somehow. 

• Love 5

I wish they would quit these "crossover" storylines with GA.  I'm sorry, but I'm never going to care about Station 19 and I only watched the few bits that were going to transfer over to Gray's.  And honestly, I'm not sure I care enough to even keep doing that.   

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

I wish they would quit these "crossover" storylines with GA.  I'm sorry, but I'm never going to care about Station 19 and I only watched the few bits that were going to transfer over to Gray's.  And honestly, I'm not sure I care enough to even keep doing that.   

same here

• Love 2

I've watched this show from the beginning, and for a while I actually liked it better than Grey's.  Now, though, I can't think of any character I find interesting and this season will be my last.  I'm sick of Andy/Sullivan pawing each other at the station, don't care about Miller being butt hurt and wanting to sue the PD even if justified, I'm tired of Vic and Travis, don't care about the other firefighter and his gf with the kid.    

6 hours ago, bunnyface said:

Yeah I find it really annoying that the shows are trying to make the other one mandatory viewing. I don't watch Greys, I'm not going to watch Grey's, and I am sure there are plenty of Grey's viewers who feel the same way about Station 19, you shouldn't have to watch one show to watch the other. I am always stuck watching this random characters from a show that I don't watch and I am expected to know who they are and who they're banging in a closet on Grey's, and its just so UGH. One big crossover a year is fine, but they are doing this every other week now, plus adding characters from one show to the next, its going to make me give this show up to. 

I can imagine that Marsha's son has real issues with his mom and her alcoholism, but his treatment of her is ridiculously cold. I really like Jack's girlfriend, and his awkward parenting is really endearing. Glad that she wasn't actually jealous about seeing him hug Maya, even before she knew why, and he even gave Carina, a character I am pretty meh on, got some decent material. Is she more interesting on her actual show? 

Ouch, what a shitty honeymoon. That drive home is going to be pretty awkward, if the couple from the cars marriage isn't annulled on the way to the hospital. 

• Love 3

I don't think I could get over that panic attack "save me first" stuff. Maybe I'm an unforgiving bitch, but I need a partner who isn't given to that degree of lapse into shittiness, duress or not. 

I wish Martha had changed her paperwork so her son was no longer in charge. I didn't watch Greys, but I gather there was some stuff about him in their episode. 

Tonight's episode felt a little more like the usual Sta 19 ep to me, with the choppy editing, callbacks to long abandoned plots, and at least one rescue, even if they still aren't doing fires. I forgot how exhausting it was to watch when they're like that!

I honestly don't know if I'd go along with the continued deception, if I was Travis. I know outing someone is wrong, but so is what his father is doing to his mother, and to Travis for that matter. I was surprised Carina was on board immediately with participating int he cover up. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Ouch, what a shitty honeymoon. That drive home is going to be pretty awkward, if the couple from the cars marriage isn't annulled on the way to the hospital. 

For those who don't watch Grey's and don't want to, the couple broke up.

He told the doctors not to tell the wife whether he was okay or not, the doctors gave him speeches about how love was important, and then they talked and the wife whined about how hard it was that she hadn't gotten updates on his condition. Then the husband told her she'd always been a selfish bitch and he wanted an annulment. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

On another note, Vic is staying with Travis now?  I don't understand why she can't get her own place.

Yes, they need to explain that. Though the revelation that Vic's parents basically see her as "an accident" and that's WHY they were more focused on the restaurant that her. That is going to not go to a very good place if I'm thinking what they are going to do with her story. But seriously? Why can't she get her own apartment?

• Love 3

I think she can't get a place of her own because the place she got kicked out of had something to do with damages she was blamed for, or something like that. In any case, she left with either bad credit or a bad reference? 

I missed them saying Vic was "an accident".

I liked this episode. I am tired of pregnancy emergencies, but other than that, I liked it.

• Love 3

I really liked this episode.    I likedCarina - I like her on Gray's and here.  Too bad she's going to Italy.

And I was 100% there for the flaming zamboni and fire extinguisher ice capades! 

• Love 2

That stuff at the ice rink was pretty cool. Definitely a unique idea for a rescue for them.

My big takeaway from the episode was we finally have a timeline for the Grey's/Station 19 universe. Late May of 2020. Kind of crazy that they are barely two months into the pandemic though.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think she can't get a place of her own because the place she got kicked out of had something to do with damages she was blamed for, or something like that. In any case, she left with either bad credit or a bad reference? 

I'm not surprised that she got kicked out for whatever reason.  She always struck me as careless and thoughtless at times, so I never liked her.

• Love 1
On 4/15/2021 at 8:37 PM, possibilities said:

I missed them saying Vic was "an accident".

I liked this episode. I am tired of pregnancy emergencies, but other than that, I liked it.

When Travis was talking to her at the end about the baby. Vic replied: "No, the restaurant is THEIR baby, not me." It is actually a term that is well documented describing either a "favorite child" or the fact they see someone or something else as their MAIN responsibility and the other as a burden or have no regards too." Given what has be hit over our heads the past few years about Vic's family and how the grandma was really her "real parent". I think Vic was basically an "oops", since her parents started the restaurant before she was born. 

So we finally get a fire...and its a flaming zamboni. Is the show just fucking with us at this point? 

I did actually like that rescue, it was unique and the scenes between Vic and Jack were nice, they don't usually interact just them a lot. We also know where we are in the timeline, late May.

Edited by tennisgurl

My favorite scene was Miller coming into the office after hearing that father talk about needing his kids to see someone Black in a uniform. His tears and signs were wordless signals of his pain and the pain we feel as Black people in America. No words were needed in that moment. Great scene. 

• Love 10

Probably because almost the whole episode was made up of monologues and set in the firehouse, this had a very stage play feel to me. Like they were a bunch of vignettes held together in a framing device where every character gets up, does their monologue, with maybe the therapist doing a bit with them, and leaves the stage. 

• Love 2