Type keyword(s) to search

Kids Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I googled Kid's Baking Contest just so I could find somewhere to voice my annoyance.

Antyway, I can't believe Kaniyah was not eliminated. Her pie looked so dry and unappetizing. I appreciate the fact that Aidan was considerate enough to help her, but  it should have counted against. Cole is a far superior baker than Kaniyah.

I really, really dislike her!  Each week I am amazed and appalled at how insolent, arrogant and disrespectful she is.  She shows no deference to adults and needs to learn some manners stat.

Kaniyah is a great example of how NOT to act in a competition, heck how not to act in life.  Ugh, I just can't with her. I wish Duff and Valerie wouldn't indulge her demanding behavior.   I have no desire to see her entitled behavior in the finale.  

I really like Justice and hopes he wins. His baking has a level of sophistication that the other two don't.   Plus, he seems to be a really kind, polite and thankful human being.  His parents have done a good job with him.

His thankful attitude is such a contrast to Kaniyah's poor sportsmanship and brash behavior.

She's such a annoying brat and I hope she bombs next week. 

• Love 14

For Fucks Sake. I can't even watch this week's show now knowing that little shit, Kaniyah, made it into the finals. I am also appalled that Aiden made it in because IIRC, he has had shitty bakes nearly every week. Yeah he can be a nice kid, but it's not a Nice Kid Contest, and really? None of these kids can bake to save their lives. Poor casting. poor judging. Just meh. and I used to love Duff but now I find him an ass.

• Love 3

It definitely could be editing, but the part that bothered me the most about WhipCreamGate was that it didn't seem like Kaniyah even thanked Aiden. He's over there whipping away (BTW, I think he should have been the one with his finger on the blender button instead--much easier than whipping by hand. Unless you're Duff, apparently...) and Kaniyah's just keeping on, keeping on without saying a word. Then Valarie chimes in with "Wow, that's so sweet of Aiden to help! Thank you, Aiden!" and finally Kaniyah mumbles "thank you". Like I said, could be editing, but with that sass she's so fond of, I'm suspicious that it didn't even occur to her to say thanks until Valerie did it for her. If you're going to accept help, especially from a competitor, the very least you can do is be ultra gracious and appreciative. I don't care if you're 10 or 100--no excuse.

Add me to the list of those surprised that Cole was sent home. I wasn't a fan of his either, but he was consistently at the top of the pack and I pretty much figured he was a lock to win it all. Might be a good life lesson for him, though, since he tended toward high-horseyness. 

• Love 6

Sorry to see Cole go home; he was expecting to not only make it to the finals but win the whole thing.  And, truth be told, he had as good a chance at it as anyone else in the final four.  Each of the final four have had great weeks and bad weeks; it's just that his "bad" week just happened to come this week.

I'm ready for this to be over.  Between the untalented, hyperactive kids and the sometimes over-the-top judges reactions, I'm worn out.  Next season ... if there is a next season ... I hope the producers cast non-precocious kids who can actually bake. 

• Love 4

Kiniyah and her crocodile tears - it's not that she cried, it's that she effing fake cried. Can't stand kids like this. She's a manipulative little shit and knew it would get her out of the mess she was in. Obviously a go-to technique for her in everyday life.

• Love 7

What exactly did Valerie say while Kaniyah was walking out? It was something like "I just love her."  I remember thinking, "Well we know that she's not going to be eliminated."  Cole is a much better baker and had one bad day.  Kaniyah has had many bad days, couldn't make her own whipped cream, and will be in the finals because Valerie loves her.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

What exactly did Valerie say while Kaniyah was walking out? It was something like "I just love her."  I remember thinking, "Well we know that she's not going to be eliminated."  Cole is a much better baker and had one bad day.  Kaniyah has had many bad days, couldn't make her own whipped cream, and will be in the finals because Valerie loves her.

I doubt that Valerie and Duff make the final decision with regard to results.  They may provide input but my guess is that they're mostly mouthpieces for production. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Thadeeeyus said:

They may provide input but my guess is that they're mostly mouthpieces for production. 

Yes, I remember seeing two of the most annoying people on the planet--higher-ups in the Food Network--named Suzy and Bob Tuchman (or something) on the Next FN "Star" and Bob clearly heard only what he wanted to hear. I stopped watching that because they used to preach about FN's core values of truth, honesty and the American way (well, maybe not that) yet they keep Robert Irvine around in spite of getting caught lying about his credentials. 

• Love 2

I really don't see why it went the way did this week.   First of all, it's a baking challenge.   Fake crying, and doing your competitor's work should not be part of the decision.   Aidan is a weak baker, and barely makes it quite a bit, so maybe he helped to stay in the competition. It's kind of obvious this is not about baking skills, and any kid with a brain would know  if they cry, or help their competitor, they are guaranteed a spot on the show the next week.

It sure seems like this show is getting worse and worse.   The challenges are ridiculous , and when the kids bake something, it looks like it makes no sense for most of the challenges.

Another thing I always wonder about is how a 10 year old "owns a business".    Kaniya owns a baking business?   How does that happen?    More like someone in the family owns it and she plays in the kitchen. There is no way she is doing great baking products to be sold, her baking  doesn't even look good most of the time.   She can't even make a sugar cookie!     

The disrespectful kids are not cute, and it's nauseating watching Valerie and Duff giggle at that!   I actually always liked these two, but this year they are annoying. Also, the kids they picked are either no way even capable of baking anything much, or they are over the top obnoxious. 

I would rather watch Chopped Junior than this mess anymore.  At least the kids do their own work, and the judges don't sit there and encourage rude behavior.

• Love 13

Kaniyah drives me nuts..  I really wish she would not have made it to the top 3.  I do not like the way she talks to the judges and they think it's cute??  My kids would be sent to their rooms if they told me to "eat it and like it"  plus she cannot finish stuff on her own.  anyway  I just wish they would base things on the baking  and not because they think they are cute

• Love 8

I was a bit shocked when Kaniyah was asked what she would do with the money. She wanted to have a lot of tennis shoes. She has a Go Fund Me Page to collect donations for culinary school. Seems like $25,000.00 would be a nice amount to put towards that. I guess maybe you can have your cake and eat(or wear tennis shoes) it too!

• Love 1

I know all of this has been said before, but I watched reruns of the first season this weekend, and it was SO much better.  Not as much mugging for the camera, and I think there were fewer episodes.  

What I really want to see is the kids being given a simple task and a reasonable amount of time to complete it.  No twists, no weird assignments that they've never heard of (molecular gastronomy).  Some of them could probably turn out something pretty good, and it would thin out the competition pretty quickly.  

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, nowornever said:

I know all of this has been said before, but I watched reruns of the first season this weekend, and it was SO much better.  Not as much mugging for the camera, and I think there were fewer episodes.  

What I really want to see is the kids being given a simple task and a reasonable amount of time to complete it.  No twists, no weird assignments that they've never heard of (molecular gastronomy).  Some of them could probably turn out something pretty good, and it would thin out the competition pretty quickly.  

I agree. Another option, if they're having a hard time finding camera-ready kid bakers, is to do it more "worst cooks" style, where they're taught a technique and then judged on how well they learn and produce on their own. Trying to sell this group as "best kid bakers in America" is just laughable at this point.

The mugging this season is over the top, though I also blame the people behind the scenes. I'm sure most of these kids have naturally outgoing personalities, otherwise they wouldn't have been chosen, but I also think they're strongly egged on with "Be fun!" and "Let's see some big reactions!" The fact that most people (myself included) seem to be rooting for low-key Justice just goes to show that the kids don't have to be !!MEMORABLE!! to be memorable.

• Love 8

I watched reruns of the first season this weekend, and it was SO much better. 

I came here to say the same thing.  Justice and Cole would have fit into that season but none of the others, especially disrespectful Kaniyah.  I got a kick out of seeing little Jackson again after seeing him more grown up on the holiday show last year.  He's a darling.

• Love 7

I don't hate any of the kids. Like everybody else, I'm rooting for Justice but Kaniyah cracked me up. Then again, I don't have to live with her. Since I blame her parents, it seems fair that they do have to deal with her on a daily basis. I also think Cole was robbed. He was certainly one of the two best bakers there and I just see him as a perfectionist. I know that as a fellow perfectionist, sometimes what is seen as being critical of others is really self-criticism and I hope that he goes on to have a fabulous glitter-filled life. Somehow I suspect that he may be a target for bullying and some of his attitude is self-preservation but I may be projecting. In any case, I liked his sense of humor and respected his talent so if he is out there he should know that he had at least one fan. Finally, this was a stupid challenge since adults often can't do molecular gastronomy right and kudos to Cole for trying the hardest one and for being able to change course when it didn't work. Finally, I hope he gets that baking is all science and realizes that if he loves baking he actually does love science.

• Love 7

Last night FN showed the finale of the KBC from a couple of years ago. Then this morning Valerie had Matthew and Jane on from the competition this year.

The old finale made me realize how bad this show has become .  First of all, there were four finalists . The prize was not $25,000. It was a combination of prizes including being frying FN magazine , having the winning cake featured in Duff's bakery, and a smaller money prize. 

The kids were way more low key, no one was snippy or over the top. They mostly acted a lot liike Justice.

On Valerie's show Matthew and Jane were actually kind of shy and cute . 

I think the FN has done what they always do. They get a popular personality or show and ruin it by making it cartoonish and over the top.

Rachael Ray , Guy Fieri, and Sunny Anderson are all examples of people who when from likable and entertaining, to being over the top and annoying.

I think that the kids in previous seasons mostly could bake and personality was secondary . This season so many of them are not at all exceptional bakers, but they are over the top in personality. 

I also think they are encouraged to be over the top . 

Then we have the silly challenges that make no sense. It used to not be so filled with gimmicks, and it was more about baking than "stories".

Lastly, I hate to say it but I think they are going for making sure that they don't just have 3 white boys  in the finale, so they unfairly elimited Cole .  I think before it comes was more about ability to bake .

• Love 8

Long time lurker first time poster... I couldn't stand that Keniyah made it to the finals. I don't like her obnoxious personality but I don't think she should be in the finale because she didn't complete the whipped cream component of the challenge. Simple as that. 

• Love 7
On 2/27/2017 at 10:23 PM, jenniferrt said:

How in the world did Kaniah make it!!!! She is annoying and not a good baker. She is rude to the judges every time she goes before them. Cole absolutely should have made it!!! And Aiden always creeps on the other kids to see what they are doing!!!

Yes! We call him the spy. 

This better be a no brainer.... as in Justice better win. But of course creeper Aidan and baby talk Kaniya choose lemon cause Val loves lemon. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I am so sad Justice didn't win! But I knew it was coming when they fell in love with aidens cake. He reminds me so much of Cam from modern family, so I guess that's something. Hope next season they have less annoying and more talented kids 

Edited by Ravenclaw
  • Love 5

So sad for Justice.  He deserved to win.  All things were not equal, because Aidan fell back on his comfortable buttercream - for which he'd been dinged before on a lack of originality.  And Aidan's villain wasn't as tasty.

BOO!

• Love 9

After seeing the final efforts, I was so sure that Justice would win (deservedly) that I just sat there with my mouth open when they chose Aidan.  He wasn't even in the running in my mind.  I can't imagine how or why Duff and Valerie made the decision they did.  

• Love 6

I felt like 75% of the show was aiden and his travails, so I figured he would win. His cake did look the best of the three.

i think "hot mess" are the only words appropriate for kaniyah's cake, yikes.

I would have liked justice to win, but I think he blew it. It was his to lose and he didn't step up. 

• Love 5

Aidan deserved to win. The judges were highly impressed by his cake's taste and texture. He didn't "promise" mascarpone frosting; moreover,  like every other food competition contestant ever, he revised his plan when Plan A went South. He decorated beautifully and intelligently (he made a PRISM!). Also, clearly he was in error in thinking his cakes were burnt, or else Duff and Valerie would have had NO  qualms in using that detail to call it for Justice.

Speaking of whom: Second-best. Not as nicely decorated as Aidan's. Lame story. And wasn't his cake deemed a bit dry?

Finally, Kaniyah showed why her specialty is cupcakes. Cake-decorating is not her strength. 

The nice "I'll make your whipped cream for you!" kid finished first. I'm cool with it.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Aidan deserved to win. The judges were highly impressed by his cake's taste and texture. He didn't "promise" mascarpone frosting; moreover,  like every other food competition contestant ever, he revised his plan when Plan A went South. He decorated beautifully and intelligently (he made a PRISM!). Also, clearly he was in error in thinking his cakes were burnt, or else Duff and Valerie would have had NO  qualms in using that detail to call it for Justice.

Speaking of whom: Second-best. Not as nicely decorated as Aidan's. Lame story. And wasn't his cake deemed a bit dry?

Finally, Kaniyah showed why her specialty is cupcakes. Cake-decorating is not her strength. 

The nice "I'll make your whipped cream for you!" kid finished first. I'm cool with it.

I agree. The sugar work to make the prism is an added technique. Plus he layered flavors vs. One note rose water cake.  It was decided on one week not a culmination.  Same criteria as eliminating Cole for a bad week. The judges said it was very close but the added technique along with flavors put Aidan over the top to win. 

• Love 9
(edited)
11 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

i think "hot mess" are the only words appropriate for kaniyah's cake, yikes.

After seeing her cake, I thought "Catastrophe Girl" was an appropriate superhero for her.

I am sad that Justice didn't win but extremely happy that Kaniyah wasn't the winner.  That cake looked so bad.

Edited by cdp73
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, Tyrone Biggums said:

Death, taxes and Food Network falling more for flash, celebrities and "stories" than actual substance, thus taking all of their shows to absolute shit.

ITA.  What a disappointing season.  It's like everyone and everything regressed years--easier, baby themed challenges, mugging baby-talking kids, lavish praise for sloppy work, Val and Duff laughing over stupid antics, etc.

I usually don't watch kid versions of competitions because of exactly what we saw this season.  I watched last season and was pleasantly surprised at the maturity and skill of the kids.  Now, I'm out. 

• Love 7

Glad that Aiden won.  He had his ups and downs during the season, including almost being eliminated, but he didn't ever give up when facing a difficult (for him) challenge.  And, he was willing to help others.  

Justice is a nice kid with a variety of interests.  I don't expect him to become a baking sensation but he brought a nice touch to the show.

Kaniyah ... oh my!  IMO, she was encouraged (by parents, producers, Duff & Val) to be over-the-top.  Several times during the finale, she showed that she was able to be still and respectful.  But, she may also have a short attention span and tends to rush through parts of the baking process.

• Love 2

While Justice's cake was cute, he'd done much better decorating (see waffles).  

Kaniyah, oh man her cake was more than a hot mess.

IMO, Aidan did the best job on this particular day.  While swiss buttercream may have been his plan b, he did a good job with his decorating.  Also, he attempted something the others didn't, more than one flavor in his cake and ultimately, I think that's what won it for him.

While I enjoyed a couple of the kids this season, hopefully if they're back for Season 4, casting does a much better job.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Also, clearly he was in error in thinking his cakes were burnt, or else Duff and Valerie would have had NO  qualms in using that detail to call it for Justice.

His bottom cakes were overdone.  He just didn't serve from the bottom layers, which were the overdone layers.

• Love 1

Aidan bothered me the entire run of the show. Although he usually did well in his bakes, and proved himself to be a considerate kid by helping others, his tendency to do the same thing over and over and his intelligence gathering i.e. spying on what the other kids did before he decided what to do, was off-putting. Even in the final episode he quizzed the kids about their superhero and villain before he formulated his last minute plan. I guess some would say that is a good game plan since it was a competition after all, but I thought it creepy. I'm sure he'll have a bright future as a smarmy wedding cake designer; as long as his clients all want vanilla cake and buttercream. 

And now that I have said less than generous things about a child, I will decorate my hand basket for my trip to hell. 

• Love 10

Aidan seems like a nice kid, but I think that Justice was a way better baker.   I agree that the Food Network is all about personality and stories.   This competition used to be about the baking, and the kids were not so dramatic or putting on some annoying persona.  I think the kids are encouraged to act up and be silly or dramatic.

Justice just seemed like a very smart, level headed kid, he's probably gifted. He's good in science and he's artistic. He didn't put on a show for the most part, he just was a hard working, competent kid.  Just want the Food Network doesn't like!  

Aidan's cake was overcooked, and for some reason, it just felt like Duff and Valerie were so over the top about his cake, and his dessert last week.  Same goes for Kaniyah.  It seems fake, especially on Valerie's part.

I noticed that they made sure they gave a lot of attention to Kaniyah and Aidan, but barely bothered with Justice. I think it was pretty much determined that  Aidan or Kaniyah would win. I think they would have given it to Kaniyah if she had done anything decent, but her cake was a mess.

Maybe I missed something about Aiden's superhero, but what who was the superhero? There were all pyramids, and it was a cute story, and a pretty cake, but I couldn't figure out what the superhero was.  

I hate to say it , but I think that they needed to find a  winner who was from a background that wasn't white if they picked a boy.   Aidan is least part  latino, his grandma posted something online, which was very cute, and called herself his "abuello".     I also think Kaniyah would not have made the finale if she wasn't a minority and a girl.       

Overall, I was ok with Aidan winning, he did a decent job,  but I do think objectively Justice did a better job, and is the better baker. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, larsonb said:

Maybe I missed something about Aiden's superhero, but what who was the superhero? There were all pyramids, and it was a cute story, and a pretty cake, but I couldn't figure out what the superhero was.  

The superhero was the Prism.  He made a whole bunch of pyramids from that special sugar, and put the nicest one on the cake.

• Love 1

Overall, just way too much damn vanilla buttercream. This episode. This season. That sums my takeaway.

I was also confused they dinged Justice for bad fondant work and told him he could've covered it with clouds, given that we saw him have that realization and doing precisely that. So, he just didn't cover all the rips? Or there were so many it was impossible to obscure them all? Unclear but it was weird to see him one moment be all "I know how I can fix it!" and then theoretically doing it, and then have their criticism be "you should've done" the exact thing he said he did. In the one wide shot we saw before he put the clouds on it certainly seemed cover-up-able.

• Love 4