Type keyword(s) to search

Chris Harrison: Not a Terrible Human Being? Let's Discuss

• Start Topic

I just saw this Grantland interview with Chris Harrison and he surprised me by being pretty frank (and frankly negative!) about Juan Pablo's abhorrent behavior this season, saying that Juan Pablo shut-shamed Clare and didn't handle himself well. I mean: this is not a groundbreaking admission, but then again, Chris Harrison doesn't HAVE to say anything negative about the lead. Or is this all a cynical PR move on Harrison's part to bond with the Juan Pablo hating audience? Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2-Vz88eowI

• Love 1

No, he's probably a terrible human being. Chris Harrison Says "No" to a Chubby Bachelor, Not Sure About Gay Bachelor.

While I liked Harrison's willingness to criticize Juan Pablo, I also felt like his attitude in his interview with Litman was rather paternalistic. Like he's going to put those guys in their place when they mistreat a lady or that he has to protect the girls. But I guess that's just reinforcing the very rigid gender and social roles of the show.

• Love 3

Ha!! Tara, I said the same thing about Bob Guiney when Sarah and I discussed this over email. He was both chubby AND promiscuous, remember? Also he's from right by where I'm from in Michigan -- he's up there with Madonna and Eminem as one of our treasured local celebrities.

So, my basic reaction to that stupid interview with Chris Harrison in which he said he didn't think a gay Bach would work was confusion as to why he suddenly decided to get all cynical, hard-nosed businessman about stuff when that's the opposite of the ethos of The Bachelor and his role as host. And I believe him when he say he supports gay marriage, so he probably should have just said, "I support full and equal rights for gays, and I hope the show goes in that direction." I guess he decided to get all saucy and controversial, which is dumb.

And completely agree that a chubby Bach is feasible but a plus-size Bach'ette ain't never gonna happen. They were pushing it this season with that one girl who was like a size four. 

Some more evidence to support my theory that Chris Harrison, if not a model human being, at least has the decency to despise Juan Pablo: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/03/06/bachelor-juan-pablo-deleted-scene-2/

• Love 1

Chris ALMOST went up in my estimation a teeny bit on the ATFR last night when he said (in reference to the upcoming Bachelorette), "Why not do this again?" Also to Andi: "You do know this is going to be on TV, right?." Heh. But only ALMOST. After the 20 billioneth season of this show it will take far more than one or two snarky remarks to make me think of him as an actual non-terrible human being.

Sigh. A tiny part of me kind of loves Chris Harrison. I mean, he has the most ridiculous job in all of television, but he takes it so SERIOUSLY.

In all seriousness, though. I think he is probably terrible. He wants to play both sides; snarky with the audience, but besties with the contestants. It just doesn't work for me.

• Love 4

I like Chris.  He clearly cares about the contestants and is a good host.  He is criticized constantly for lying.  ex: pretending he didn't know Chris B was going to show up on Andie's season.  He knew because Chris B spilled it.  He did not anticipate that and wanted to push the plot.  I don't like that part of him.   

I am gearing up early for the Bach which starts in January.  Not much to say yet, just putting off chores this morning.  :-)

• Love 1

I think Chris is an excellent host and I enjoy watching him.  I find him very handsome and think he has a nice warmth in his interactions with the cast members.  Whether he actually DOES care or not, he makes me think he does.  That's a good host in my book.

But I also adore Jeff Probst, Heidi Klum and Anthony Bourdain as hosts, so there's no accounting for my taste...*LOL*

• Love 1

We need to understand that Chris Harrison is only an employee of the Bachelor team who is responsible to make things the producers decide known in the public. I think he is good in his job, he is polite, he is smart, he is a TV person, we can't expect him to be 100% real, nobody in TV is. I like Chris and watching The Bachelor - Canada, God I really realized how good he is in his job. In my opinion he was really kind with the things he said about Juan Pablo. In my opinion Juan Pablo is the person people changed opinions about 180 degrees after watching his season. I remember women shouting his name after Desiree's season like crazy, but I bet now they have realized what a jerk he really is.

Edited by himela
  • Love 1

I'm personally a fan of Chris Harrison. I enjoy how much he interacts and improves through his parts. He plays off of people, while playing them...so I see where the discussion question comes from. Yes he does manipulate people but it often brings out some of the only true emotion we see on an often shallow show. I guess what I'm saying is that he might be a bit horrible but I'm ok with it since he's a good host...? Hmmm What does that say about me? Haha

• Love 3

I agree Chris H. is great at his job.  I just find that job icky at times.

True, but it'[s the greatest job in the world.   He gets trotted out a few times a year,  the original show has grown to a hideous but profitable franchise, and the job is around as long as he wants it.    Nice work if you can get it.    I wouldn't be surprised to see it going 10 years from now. 

• Love 3

I can't blame him for keeping the gig.  It is crazy and silly, but it pays, and he can find humor in it.  At times I think Fleiss is a genius (not saying I like him)....he came up with this concept and it works every year.  Who would have thought this whole formula would work so long?   But it does....the women get wrapped up in the bachelor from the get go each and every year, and create quite the drama.  It is very interesting to me how well his crazy concept has worked.  

• Love 4

I think Chris is an excellent host and I enjoy watching him.  I find him very handsome and think he has a nice warmth in his interactions with the cast members.  Whether he actually DOES care or not, he makes me think he does.  That's a good host in my book.

But I also adore Jeff Probst, Heidi Klum and Anthony Bourdain as hosts, so there's no accounting for my taste...*LOL*

I agree and adore them, too.  All of them are executive producers, as well.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I like that Harrison is in on the joke. He makes no qualms about making fun of the show's trope: Stay tuned for the most dramatic rose ceremoy in Bachelor history--you've never heard me say that before! The whole production staff is in on the joke, really. I mean they try to keep it a little more "serious" with Bachelor/ette, but they had a field day with Bachelor in Paradise! The hilarious editing was completely in wink-wink fashion!

• Love 3
I just realize TB has been on the air for going on 13 years now.    That's a hell of a run.   Chris Harrison is probably set for life.

If the place that they said was his house (last season when Andi and the F4 met there to learn about Eric's death) is really his house, then I think you're right.

• Love 1

He's in a tough spot, serving many aims (his own and others).  He must:

1) Sell the show to the true believers with hyperbole and lines that even he admits are cliched.

2) Be encouraging with the contestants without going Dr Phil.  If you've seen him during one or more 'crises' then you know he asks the most colorless, open-ended questions (e.g. 'So what are you thinking now?' or 'So what do you want to do at this point?') apparently meant to convey insight but are simply prompts to keep the contestants talking.

3) Demonstrate repeatedly that his tongue is planted firmly in his cheek by mocking (gently at times, not gently at times) the show's premise, contestants, situations, etc. along with poking some fun at himself.

As time has progressed and all concerned have become quite cynical about the whole thing (especially the contestants) he has become less unctuous and off-putting.

Edited by Rainsong
  • Love 3

I just don't like Chris ever since that Rozlyn Papa debacle. If you listened to her interview with Reality Steve, it puts things in perspective and he's just an evil evil man.

I never saw CH at fault in what Rozlyn Papa did.  I believe him. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/rozlyn-papa-bachelor-host-chris-harrison-ugly-accusations-fly-women-special-article-1.172842

The article above (http://www.eonline.com/news/611253/chris-harrison-says-having-his-ex-wife-as-the-next-bachelorette-would-be-epic-tv-calls-sleeping-around-exhausting) seems to support where he stands on relationships and what his life is like now.  

I like CH and think he does a good job.  It is, of course, frustrating when he is not completely honest but he has a job to do and I get that.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

I live in the same general area as Chris Harrison. The Bachelor/Bachelorette house is nearby, so he doesn't have a long commute when the show is filming locally.

Anyhow, one night my daughter and I were sitting outside a yogurt shop in front of a fountain, and there were two small children running around the wet rim of the fountain. No one seemed to be watching them and they were acting pretty wild.

Wouldn't you know, they were Chris Harrison's and definitely had been left unattended for a few minutes. I think he was in the yogurt shop while his kids were running around out of control. He finally hightailed it to a Range Rover and sped out of the lot. I was not impressed with his parenting skills and his driving left a lot to be desired, too. Both seemed a little reckless.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I never saw CH at fault in what Rozlyn Papa did.  I believe him. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/rozlyn-papa-bachelor-host-chris-harrison-ugly-accusations-fly-women-special-article-1.172842

The article above (http://www.eonline.com/news/611253/chris-harrison-says-having-his-ex-wife-as-the-next-bachelorette-would-be-epic-tv-calls-sleeping-around-exhausting) seems to support where he stands on relationships and what his life is like now.  

I like CH and think he does a good job.  It is, of course, frustrating when he is not completely honest but he has a job to do and I get that.  

http://realitysteve.com/2010/02/25/488/

http://realitysteve.s3.amazonaws.com/podcasts/RozlynPapaInterview.mp3

Thanks.  I barely remember her or that season.  Ryan (producer) was fired.  Something must have happened that crossed a line but she says no sex and I tend to believe that.   And I fail to see how CH was involved at all.   And I do not get why the women were angry at her.   Just a bunch of gossip and mean girl shit,  is all I see.   And I will add that it is pretty nifty if one of the cast fell in love with a producer.  Another love story!  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
And I fail to see how CH was involved at all.

CH was pretty mean to Rozlyn at the WTA - IIRC, he even blamed her for the producer's firing, which I thought was bullshit because (a) it takes two to tango, and (b) the producer knew full well what he was doing. She then said that the producer said that CH had hit on his ex-wife, at which point CH just ended the interview. I thought that neither he nor Rozlyn looked good in that conversation.

• Love 1

CH was pretty mean to Rozlyn at the WTA - IIRC, he even blamed her for the producer's firing, which I thought was bullshit because (a) it takes two to tango, and (b) the producer knew full well what he was doing. She then said that the producer said that CH had hit on his ex-wife, at which point CH just ended the interview. I thought that neither he nor Rozlyn looked good in that conversation.

Thanks for these details.  I don't remember this much.  

I love Chris Harrison. It seems he's not as present as he used to be, which is a shame. I guess they think having celebrities instead makes it better, but no, Chris is the cheddar cheese heart of the show. How else would these dummies know that one rose left meant it was Time For the Final Rose if he didn't tell them?

• Love 4

A couple nights ago I was watching Shark Tank. A man wearing an elf costume with a hat and a beard was on, pitching his product invention the "Beardaments". Ornaments that light up and hang from your beard for those festive moments.

The entire time he was on screen I was just waiting for him to pull off the hat and beard and say, hahaha, it's me! Chris Harrison! 

The man voice sounded EXACTLY like Chris Harrison's. He even looked  JUST LIKE Chris Harrison. His name was Jason McOmber though. Must be Chris's long lost identical twin. Shark Tank season 11 , episode 9. Uncanny!!

There's a YouTube of it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E6wUZ3a_T6c

• LOL 1

He's collecting a paycheck and, honestly, no animals or humans are physically harmed in the making of the show.

I don't think he's a bad guy and he knows where his bread is buttered.

• Love 5

He and his ex look like siblings! I can’t imagine anyone else hosting and he’s pretty good at selling it. I don’t know anything about him personally, though I liked his mild mannered style on Designer’s Challenge but I can’t imagine that being a cog in the wheel of Bachelor Nation for so long is particularly good for the soul and I wonder how it’s shaped him over the years as the show has become less about live and more about cesspool parties. I do rather get the impression he might be over it, but I can’t see him walking away. 

• Love 1