Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: The Tribe Has Spoken

• Start Topic

On 6/21/2017 at 10:10 PM, Lantern7 said:

Funny115: Blood vs. Water gang keeps throwing Probst's idol clues into the fire. Apparently, Mario is burnt out on hidden idols like most of us are, especially after what happened with Cirie.

I was over them long before Cirie, so this is the best one of Mario's entries yet. It also reminded me that I thought Candace was a whiny asshole who thought everyone should play for Candace and John. Fuck you, Candace. 

(edited)

Someone asked me what was so bad about Colton and I thought maybe the Funny 115 entry on him would be an entertaining explanation, but instead I found it is nothing but a paean to Colton, the Greatest Survivor Villain of All Time.  I used to think I would never hate anyone Survivor-related as much as Terry Dietz, then Colton came around; but silly me because I'd been overlooking Mario the whole time, perhaps the single most worthless piece of shit in the Survivor community.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 6
On 7/2/2017 at 10:35 PM, KimberStormer said:

Someone asked me what was so bad about Colton and I thought maybe the Funny 115 entry on him would be an entertaining explanation, but instead I found it is nothing but a paean to Colton, the Greatest Survivor Villain of All Time.  I used to think I would never hate anyone Survivor-related as much as Terry Dietz, then Colton came around; but silly me because I'd been overlooking Mario the whole time, perhaps the single most worthless piece of shit in the Survivor community.

I don't read anything specifically about Colton, so I didn't read that entry. I will say that a lot of Mario's stuff doesn't appeal to me and seems primarily focused on appealing to the Sucks ethos. Nothing good to say about that ethos. 

• Love 3

I know you vehemently disagree with most, if not all, of Mario's opinions @KimberStormer, and that's 100% your right to do so.  

But I reread the entry in question, and I have a different take.  Mario agrees with the popular opinion that Colton, the person, is a racist and hypocritical pile of garbage.  He says so repeatedly in the first few lines of the entry.  He's just of the opinion that Colton, the Survivor character, is entertaining.  His comparison is to one of the greatest heel professional wrestlers of all time, and that Colton did accidentally, just by being himself, what Fairplay was intentionally trying to do, only 100 times better. 

Using that framework, I get an idea of what One World could have been.  It was supposed to be a grand battle between a dominating hero (Kim) and her allies, versus a scheming villain (Colton) and his brainwashed minions, with the forces of good prevailing.  Instead, we got denied the glorious pleasure of seeing Colton voted out, having to settle for a medevac and jokes about his own body rejecting his personality.

So yeah, bad human, but "good" tv character.

• Love 3
On 6/13/2017 at 3:11 PM, MrYunis said:

So you would say it's pretty much "How Coach lost"? I might have to re-watch this season (don't know if it's worth it though).

Seems like we agree on Tyson. Ciera wasn't changing her mind that Tribal Council and Tyson wasn't going to lose a member of his alliance, so he took a chance and it paid off. However had he drawn the white rock (I think it was white that sends you home that season), he had a safety net in that he could easily win his way back in the game via Redemption Island. Other than that, he played almost flawlessly the entire season. Also with going to rocks, he could then argue that he was willing to sacrifice himself for his alliance, which I think he argued at the final.

I just watched BvW for the first time.  I haven't watched Survivor in 10 years (Cook islands with Yul was my last) and ive been watching on Hulu.  My mom in law and I just finished watching this and Caramoan (which I really liked though most don't seem to).

Anyhoo, that TC was one of the most exiting in a while.  Everything from Hayden refusing to give up and convincing Ciera she was number 4 sticking with Tyson, Monica and Gervase, Ciera flipping to force a tie and of course the return of the rocks.  And Probst loved everything about it.  Hayden, who was 100% going home before stirring shit up managed to get Ciera to flip her vote and in turn ended up exempt from the rocking.  Brilliant.

Itis kind of sucky that in both cases the rocks have been used it ended up being someone who wasn't on the chopping block that particular night. (Paschal and Katie).  I thought Tyson was the deserving winner hands down.  I haven't seen his other seasons (I'm watching them in weird orders) but I thought he deserved the win over Monica and even Gervase.  I was hoping Gervase would win the bug immunity challenge since that was pretty much what hooked me on the show but I still think he redeemed himself.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, kittykat said:

Itis kind of sucky that in both cases the rocks have been used it ended up being someone who wasn't on the chopping block that particular night. (Paschal and Katie).

I believe that is the entire point of the rock draw!  They really really don't want ties, and what better way to scare someone into flipping than to make it certain that nobody who got votes goes home.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the first time people really committed to the idea that it might be worth the odds to draw rocks was Savaii?  Only to have Cochran flip and lose them their chance at claiming the dubious glory of having gone through with it.  (For which I do not blame Cochran at all since they had every reason to believe he might flip and failed to do anything about it but try to bully him into it...all they had to do was give him the necklace.)  Although it was unsuccessful, I feel like it somehow opened the floodgates to where the rock draw is now seemingly seen as a legitimate though dangerous possible move, instead of a complete taboo.

• Love 1

Paschal's case was worse, only because they hadn't thought a rock draw all the way through, and realized it wasn't going to work at the final 4.  But by then it was too late.  He ended up collapsing after he got voted off, so it was kind of a blessing in disguise.  He couldn't even make it to the next TC, so he might have ended up being medevaced anyway had he lasted until the final 3.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

(For which I do not blame Cochran at all since they had every reason to believe he might flip and failed to do anything about it but try to bully him into it...all they had to do was give him the necklace.) 

Also, if you're going to count on someone to play Russian Roulette for you, you shouldn't make them feel like an outsider before that. That was the HUGE flaw in the plan. Jim at the reunion said that he made the mistake of thinking everyone was playing to win, and Cochran clearly wasn't. He was playing just to get farther. But the truth is that Cochran already knew that hell would freeze over before Keith, Jim, Ozzy, or Whitney would vote for him to win. Flipping on them didn't really lose him their votes. They'd already made their disdain clear. So if you can't win, why let them use you and chance going out earlier than you would?

In the end, Cochran ended up seventh instead of a possible sixth. Big deal. He'd only have gone out sixth if Savaii hadn't decided to keep someone around longer than him, which we can't predict. The big thing is that Savaii blamed Cochran when they mishandled the whole scenario. They could have treated him better. They could have made him secure and had someone else draw rocks. They sensed he was wavering, which is why they pressured him. They have no one to blame but themselves. And this is coming from someone who found Cochran annoying as hell and with a bizarre sense of entitlement.

• Love 7
(edited)
12 hours ago, simplyme said:

Also, if you're going to count on someone to play Russian Roulette for you, you shouldn't make them feel like an outsider before that. That was the HUGE flaw in the plan. Jim at the reunion said that he made the mistake of thinking everyone was playing to win, and Cochran clearly wasn't. He was playing just to get farther. But the truth is that Cochran already knew that hell would freeze over before Keith, Jim, Ozzy, or Whitney would vote for him to win. Flipping on them didn't really lose him their votes. They'd already made their disdain clear. So if you can't win, why let them use you and chance going out earlier than you would?

In the end, Cochran ended up seventh instead of a possible sixth. Big deal. He'd only have gone out sixth if Savaii hadn't decided to keep someone around longer than him, which we can't predict. The big thing is that Savaii blamed Cochran when they mishandled the whole scenario. They could have treated him better. They could have made him secure and had someone else draw rocks. They sensed he was wavering, which is why they pressured him. They have no one to blame but themselves. And this is coming from someone who found Cochran annoying as hell and with a bizarre sense of entitlement.

Actually, here's the thing.  Every single Savaii revealed having F3 scenarios that had Cochran in them.  Jim and Dawn wanted to go to the end with him.  Keith and Whitney wanted to do the same.  Ozzy wanted to, as well.  So he'd have at least gotten third place had he stuck with them.  But he put himself at the bottom of the Upolus' totem pole by jumping to them.  He went from having multiple easy avenues to the F3 (granted, as the goat) to pretty much having no way of getting there by choosing to be Coach and the other Upolus' little stooge and extra number.

And he didn't go out in seventh.  Technically, with his lost Redemption Island duel, he went out in eighth.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 5

All the more reason for Ozzy to give him the necklace!  (Or Dawn, if that was allowed....although it is impossible for me to imagine Dawn doing such a thing.)  For Ozzy I don't see any downside to it.  In the unlikely event that he pulls the purple rock, why, he's Ozzy.  He has Redemption Island waiting for him, his Survivor home away from home, and, as we saw in the actual event, Ozzy has nothing whatever to fear at Redemption Island.  Meanwhile he guarantees Cochran neither flips nor pulls a rock himself, so Ozzy's F3 plans are still in great shape.  And it makes sense for Jim, Keith, and Whitney too to ask Ozzy to do it.  (And Dawn, despite the whiff of hypocrisy, since she can say "well if I go to Redemption Island I'm done for" and turn on the old Meehan waterworks over how she needs this for her kids oh my god Ozzy are you saying you're tricking me into giving me up my necklace and voting me out, I mean I know you are, you are, just tell me, I know, you've all decided to flip and vote me out, haven't you, I know you have, just tell me, you'll just tell me won't you, oh God Ozzy my life is in your hands just tell me you're going to stab me in the heart, or give Cochran that necklace so I don't have to.)

The only reason I can see that they didn't was that they never even thought of it.  And that does not speak well of them IMO.

• Love 4
On 7/12/2017 at 7:49 PM, Star Aristille said:

Actually, here's the thing.  Every single Savaii revealed having F3 scenarios that had Cochran in them.  Jim and Dawn wanted to go to the end with him.  Keith and Whitney wanted to do the same.  Ozzy wanted to, as well.  So he'd have at least gotten third place had he stuck with them.  But he put himself at the bottom of the Upolus' totem pole by jumping to them.  He went from having multiple easy avenues to the F3 (granted, as the goat) to pretty much having no way of getting there by choosing to be Coach and the other Upolus' little stooge and extra number.

And he didn't go out in seventh.  Technically, with his lost Redemption Island duel, he went out in eighth.

I didn't know that so many on  Savaii wanted to take Cochran to the end.  The big question is, did he know that?  My memory is he didn't, and that the rest of his tribe pretty much treated him like shit.  If that's so, they badly mismanaged things, and maybe cost themselves the game. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, kikaha said:

I didn't know that so many on Savaii wanted to take Cochran to the end.  The big question is, did he know that?

He knew that Jim and Dawn wanted to take him to the end, but no, he knew nothing about Ozzy, Keith, and Whitney's intentions.

Holy crap, Michelle. Also reminds me that there were three other young women from MvsGenX that I totally would have loved to see in GC other than Sierra.

Sorry. I don't think I'll ever get over the fact that they decided to invite Sierra back a second time.

• Love 2

I'll  admit that Sierra did play a better game the second time, even if her alliance was in control for most of the game.  And she got her butt saved by Tai, with an assist from JT.  Since I don't like Brad, I did enjoy the jury saying Sierra was running their alliance, not him.

But to go from Natalie Anderson to Sierra, with all the other women passed over that were on the list...yeah, I don't get it.

• Love 4

The Simply family just finished watching S29 San Juan del Sur (Blood vs Water 2). This was a new season for all of us, and we loved the winner.

One thing that Probst talked about at the reunion was how much food the Survivors are given. He held up the bag of rice each tribe is given, and showed how much rice per day each Survivor then should get to eat if they are rationing for the entire stay and said it's equivalent to about 100 calories.

So... the castaways get about 100 calories per day from rice, plus whatever they can get from fish, coconuts, bananas, limpets, snails, etc, foraging, and every three days there is a chance that the reward challenge involves food, which they may or may not get.

I think we can safely say that even if someone wins every reward challenge, eating one good meal every three days and what? 200-300 calories if they're lucky the other days is definitely a starvation diet. They may be more generous on returnee seasons, but "more generous" is still pretty scanty, I think.

The bad news for the Simply family is that we just started S30. Three episodes in and we hate almost everyone. I mean, S29, we guffawed at the men in general. It was clear from early on that a woman was going to win unless a miracle occurred because, in the words of SimplyDad, "the men are dumb." But there's a difference between being somewhat bumbling strategists and an entire cast that if Probst were to ask me "Who do you want to throat punch?" I would have great difficulty choosing because there are so few I don't want to smack.

Edited by simplyme
  • Love 5

I just watched Survivor Thailand and it is as awful as everyone says. Brian did a good job against not much competition. He was very good at keeping his arrogance and obnoxiousness under raps.

I thought it was funny his supposed soul mate would not even try the gross food thingy.

Helen seems like a woman who spends a lot of time with men and has learned to be accommodating to them. 

I didn't like anyone, except maybe Jake. And the cop. Clay just seemed like an unpleasant person.

• Love 3
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:40 PM, cleo said:

I just watched Survivor Thailand and it is as awful as everyone says. Brian did a good job against not much competition. He was very good at keeping his arrogance and obnoxiousness under raps.

I thought it was funny his supposed soul mate would not even try the gross food thingy.

Helen seems like a woman who spends a lot of time with men and has learned to be accommodating to them. 

I didn't like anyone, except maybe Jake. And the cop. Clay just seemed like an unpleasant person.

I re-watched Thailand recently, and I thought that maybe it wouldn't be as bad as I remembered.  Especially after all these years and terrible seasons that followed.  Yet, ff possible, it was worse.  Way worse.  I could find no redeeming factor in this season.  I can see why it still ranks as a bottom 5 season.  Even the people I liked I found myself rooting against.  Sook Jai was such a dysfunctional tribe, and not in an entertaining way.  I did find myself wishing Ken had gotten marooned with a smarter bunch of players (or at least wound up on the other tribe). 

3 hours ago, candall said:

The remarkable scene, to me, was the tribe perched on their little wooden box stools, sipping iced coffee from china teacups, munching palmiers.  The Season One roasted rat-eaters wouldn't even recognize this show.

Every season we get this, and yet:

This isn't to say that the initial castaways had it easy. Dirk's POW camp weight loss, Colleen's bug bites and the usual assortment of discomforts prove that this was hardly “Temptation Island,” but if you compare this to “Survivor” at its most raw? Don't make me laugh.

The castaways were plunked down on the beach with multiple chests of miscellaneous useful items. No, they don't have fire, but they have nearly everything else. They have axes and machetes and some sort of mesh that helps in the construction of shelter. They have a reasonable enough amount of medical supplies that when Sonya cuts her shin, Dr. Sean was able to apply bandages and disinfectant and coddle her entirely. When it gets rainy in later episodes, everybody has a sturdy rain coat. Remember luxury items? Dirk gets to ignore everybody and read his Bible whenever he wants to. That's what “Survivor” was. 

They have fishing traps immediately and Richard Hatch was bringing in eel and skate almost from the beginning! Whatever quantity of rice they have to start with, the cooking pot often looks to be filled to the brim with fluffy goodness. And out in the woods they have handy blue plastic cisterns of water. They have freaking canned goods. They don't have a lot of canned goods, mind you, but I'm sure that if you asked today's “Survivor” contestants with their rations of rice, limited chopping blades and desperate need to boil water, they'd say that the quantity of canned goods would probably have prevented them from even considering eating rats for a long, long time. 

From this blog post on the first season.  They had goddamn rain coats and canned goods in the first season.  Just in the past couple of seasons we've had people almost dying in the heat, feet nearly rotting off from the rain, huge permanent scars from some kind of horrifying infection, Kelley Wentworth lost like 50% of her body weight, etc etc etc.  I'm so sick of hearing that they've got it so good now, they're weak and coddled blah blah blah blah.  False!  KimberStormer has spoken!

In the third Tribal Council, in the middle of the pouring rain, Probst actually tells the Tagi tribe that they can stay in the partially sheltered Tribal Council area overnight if they don't want to walk through the jungle in the rain.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

From this blog post on the first season.  They had goddamn rain coats and canned goods in the first season.  Just in the past couple of seasons we've had people almost dying in the heat, feet nearly rotting off from the rain, huge permanent scars from some kind of horrifying infection, Kelley Wentworth lost like 50% of her body weight, etc etc etc.  I'm so sick of hearing that they've got it so good now, they're weak and coddled blah blah blah blah.  False!  KimberStormer has spoken!

I say this at least once every other season. I mention season one Rudy talking about how he was going to open "one of the cans of peaches," how in season two Australia they got not only canned goods but also brown rice, white rice, and flour, and the only reason why they ran out of food was because, as Jerri and Colby complained loudly and often, Keith was cooking too much food and they ended up throwing a lot of it away. Every single time, I am beset on all sides by people saying I'm wrong, that all they had to eat was rats and a soup made out of river water and Elisabeth Filarski's fallen hair, and rewards consisted of single bites of pizza. And someone always says that nowadays they're given so much food that some players actually gain weight.

So I got a kick out of so many people going nuts a couple of weeks ago because Joe dared to throw a thinly sliced piece of half-cooked potato away. "MY GOD, THEY'RE STARVING OUT THERE. YOU DON'T THROW FOOD AWAY." I knew it wouldn't be long before the comments about how they're coddled would begin again.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 9

Last night I was trying to remember last season and I literally could not remember it. I kept thinking the last winner was Adam (ew), but feeling like there was a season after that. And then I remembered Game Changers, but still felt like that wasn't actually last season. And then I just could not remember who won Game Changers. I had to look it up this morning. Anyway, Game Changers was super unmemorable lol. I think I liked it while it was airing, but I can't remember anything about it. I can't even recall who the F3 was.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Last night I was trying to remember last season and I literally could not remember it. I kept thinking the last winner was Adam (ew), but feeling like there was a season after that. And then I remembered Game Changers, but still felt like that wasn't actually last season. And then I just could not remember who won Game Changers. I had to look it up this morning. Anyway, Game Changers was super unmemorable lol. I think I liked it while it was airing, but I can't remember anything about it. I can't even recall who the F3 was.

The final 3 were:

Sarah, Brad, and Troyzan. This is one of my low ranked seasons.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Every single time, I am beset on all sides by people saying I'm wrong, that all they had to eat was rats and a soup made out of river water and Elisabeth Filarski's fallen hair, and rewards consisted of single bites of pizza. And someone always says that nowadays they're given so much food that some players actually gain weight.

LMAO.  Yeah, the blood-thirst for suffering is a little too "They shoot horses, don't they?" for me. 

It also reminds me of "In my time, we walked to school in the snow! Uphill -- both ways!!"

• Love 5
6 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I read this post and then sat there for a few minutes trying to remember which one Game Changers was and deciding it was the one Jeremy won which of COURSE wasn't last season. It wasn't until I scrolled down that I worked it out. That feels like a long, long time ago. 

On 27/10/2017 at 6:04 AM, KimberStormer said:

Every season we get this, and yet:

Yeeeeeep. I don't know - I don't watch for the suffering angle, so I wouldn't particularly care if they were less miserable now, but I don't think they are. Maybe the rewards are bigger - food-wise, I actually feel like there's less helicopter rides/luxury speedboat outings/spa overnights now, but I couldn't quantify that with statistics - but the baseline conditions seem about the same, on average.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Special K said:

LMAO.  Yeah, the blood-thirst for suffering is a little too "They shoot horses, don't they?" for me. 

It also reminds me of "In my time, we walked to school in the snow! Uphill -- both ways!!"

"YOU KIDS GET OFF MY BEACH!!!"

:D

• Love 4

I just saw the Redemption Island family visit episode (where Mike foregoes his visit with his mom so that the Ometepe 6 could have their family visits), and can I just say, and maybe I'll lose my Survivor Fan Cred Card, I LOVE the family visit episodes. Just love them. They never fail to make me cry.

I'm such a sucker. And I don't care.

• Love 4

Last season Adam talked a lot about building a resume. I think I've found the first mention of building a Survivor "resume" . I've been rewatching all seasons and am currently in season 23 South Pacific. Albert uses the term in a talking head about Sophie. He says she's building her resume with her immunity wins and speaking a lot at tribal council.

6 hours ago, MissEwa said:

I loved how Hannah could have a panic attack and anxiety and have it be a non-issue by the time she reached F3 ...

I didn't think that was a non-issue at all. Sure, no one point-blank mentioned it, but certainly the jury completely disregarded Hannah and I believe at least part of that was because of her panic attack.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I didn't think that was a non-issue at all. Sure, no one point-blank mentioned it, but certainly the jury completely disregarded Hannah and I believe at least part of that was because of her panic attack.

Yeah - I definitely think it changed the other players perception of her. I was more talking about her edit and the fan reaction. 

• Love 2