Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: The Tribe Has Spoken

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, MissEwa said:

Yeah - I definitely think it changed the other players perception of her. I was more talking about her edit and the fan reaction. 

I feel like she got a lot of shit from fans for that too though. And the edit still mostly presented her as a stupid, nerdy girl. Who can forget that Ken confessional that made it seem like she was just a dumb girl with a crush and how there was no way a man that looked like Ken could like her.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4

This is what frustrates me with Jeff's line of questioning at the reunion.  Joe, Jay, Ozzy, Malcolm (and everyone who fits that role) get all the "you're such an alpha!  You dominated the challenges!  Girls love you, men wanna be you, you bring out the real spirit of Survivor."  People like Brad get love for no reason other than Probst idolizes them.  Boston Rob gets pulled from the audience to talk about what a strategic mastermind he is even though it took him 4 tries and a season full of brainless sheep to win.  Cochran and Spencer get the redemption, "you were so underestimated because you look like computer nerds!"

Hannah? "So about this crush with Ken and hyperventilating when you were sitting on the sidelines not doing anything."  Aubry "so about this crush with Cochran."  Parvati "you're such a flirt, how did you use that this season?"

• Love 7

True. I feel like by the end her edit (and fan reaction) was 'nerdy girl who likes guy way out of her league' *moreso* than 'anxious weirdo' though. And she had a lot of people who liked her (or maybe they were the people I chose to focus on because she was my favourite). But it's definitely true that women, if they get reunion time at all, tend to get it focussed on their relationships with men, or other weird inconsequential things. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, MissEwa said:

And she had a lot of people who liked her (or maybe they were the people I chose to focus on because she was my favourite). 

I think because she was one of my faves I remember the hate more. I think it was probably more love for Hannah than hate here though. I don't know about anywhere else because I don't go anywhere else. Sucks scared me and I can't follow reddit.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think because she was one of my faves I remember the hate more. I think it was probably more love for Hannah than hate here though. I don't know about anywhere else because I don't go anywhere else. Sucks scared me and I can't follow reddit.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't follow reddit.

I didn't like Hannah going in.  Hearing what Jeff had to say about her pre-show, plus being a Max Dawson recruit, gave her an automatic strike for me.  Unfair I know, but hey.  The first few episodes didn't do much to change my opinion of her.  Where I started coming around was the tribe swap.  By the end of the season I was rooting for her, and would have much preferred her to win over Adam and his sob story.  I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I really hated how Adam kept downplaying everything Hannah did and interrupting her when she tried pleading her case to the jury.  I do hope to see her play again.  She's one of only a couple of people I'd want to see return from that season, now that Michaela already came back.  I think she might surprise a lot of people with another shot, and time to grow as a player.

• Love 6
On 2017-11-22 at 6:33 PM, Lantern7 said:

Found this on Facebook: Fansided ranks winner from all 34 seasons. I thought that I had read that, but the publish date was a few days ago. Also, Bob isn't on the bottom. I know that he wasn't the good tea for many, but HTF does he pale to Fabio? That guy was dumb, and he needed votes from two quitters to win.

Not a terrible list, but this always haunts me:

Natalie "road the coattails of Russell", while Cochran "sat behind stronger threats" and "brought two goats to the jury". Natalie is ranked at 30 and Cochran at 18. 

They played the exact same game, except Natalie has the distinction of an 8-4 defecit at the merge that she was instrumental in dismantling.

But Cochran is a man, so there's that, I guess. 

Edited by Oholibamah
  • Love 13

Poor Andrea got all fucked up by some horses this Thanksgiving....I saw it on her Instagram story.  Can't figure out how to link it here.  Looks like she got kicked in the face when they got spooked.  She posted video of the actual moment, really terrifying!  Seems that she's OK, broken nose and needs surgery on her gums.  Sending her good vibes!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KimberStormer said:

Poor Andrea got all fucked up by some horses this Thanksgiving....I saw it on her Instagram story.  Can't figure out how to link it here.  Looks like she got kicked in the face when they got spooked.  She posted video of the actual moment, really terrifying!  Seems that she's OK, broken nose and needs surgery on her gums.  Sending her good vibes!!

Oh, God!  I hope she still looks the same after that surgery is over!:(

On 11/24/2017 at 8:54 AM, Oholibamah said:

Not a terrible list, but this always haunts me:

Natalie "road the coattails of Russell", while Cochran "sat behind stronger threats" and "brought two goats to the jury". Natalie is ranked at 30 and Cochran at 18. 

They played the exact same game, except Natalie has the distinction of an 8-4 defecit at the merge that she was instrumental in dismantling.

But Cochran is a man, so there's that, I guess. 

I don’t know... I’d rank Cochran way above Natalie and it has nothing to do with gender.  More with their edits or their personalities themselves.   I rooted for Cochran.  I rooted against Russell.  

2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don’t know... I’d rank Cochran way above Natalie and it has nothing to do with gender.  More with their edits or their personalities themselves.   I rooted for Cochran.  I rooted against Russell.  

+1 that Cochran was a better narrator, but +1 that Natalie seems like an actually nice person. You've acknowledged that editing made Cochran more rootable (which is also subjective, because I found him annoying) but in terms of their actual gameplay I struggle to think of anything Cochran did better or much differently. 

For my winner ranking, Cochran is in a tier with Amber and Natalie above the bottom tier with Bob, Fabio and Ethan. From there my tiers roughly go:

Jenna, Aras, Vecepia, Adam

Chris, Mike, Danni, Michele 

Denise, Tina, Tyson, Earl, Sophie

Todd, Tony, Sarah, JT, Tom, Yul

Brian, Richard, Rob, Natalie A

Kim, Jeremy, Parvati

(Sandra depends on if you rate her games separately or together. Individually they'd be somewhere in the middle, but taken together she's obviously at the top).

• Love 4

Like I've said on this thread: the male winners tend to stick in my head more than the women. That probably makes me susceptible to Burnett and/or Probst's hype, even though I'm very cynical about them both.

Thinking about it: does Tom Westman deserve credit for the producers thinking about hiding idols? Or was it because of the overall success of the Koror tribe?

• Love 1

+1 that Cochran was a better narrator, but +1 that Natalie seems like an actually nice person. You've acknowledged that editing made Cochran more rootable (which is also subjective, because I found him annoying) but in terms of their actual gameplay I struggle to think of anything Cochran did better or much differently. 

Having watched Caramoan again, I found Cochran even less appealing on re-watch.  A master strategist he was not, but the way he talked, you'd think he was running the whole season and inventing a new way to play Survivor.  Caramoan had to have had the worst final 3 ever, which is why I begrudgingly say he deserved to win over the alternatives.  I've never gotten this great winner pedestal he's put on, aside from Probst saying it enough times that people believe it.  Because if Probst says it, it must be true!

• Love 4

Natalie was hidden by the editors because they were so focused on Russell. Natalie was willing to use Russell and his abhorrent behavior to her benefit. Others from that season have said that Natalie worked to keep Russell in the game and we were not shown that. She is probably the winner who received the worst possible edit because the Producers thought we would all love Russell so much.

• Love 7

Mario posted an essay on Naonka and Fabio . . . and the site crashed. Turns out Mario might upgrade to a better server for a year, then kill the site altogether. I'd post the whole message, but I think that qualifies as "off-topic."

I don't remember any specific moments or storylines with the Dumbass and the Quitter. Anybody want to take a shot at what got posted?

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I don't remember any specific moments or storylines with the Dumbass and the Quitter. Anybody want to take a shot at what got posted?

I remember Naonka stealing Fabio's socks and refusing to give them back, but I'm not sure there's a story there. It was pretty much just, "Did you take my socks?" "Yes." "Give them back." "No."

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I read the whole thing before the crash.  It was, in essence, the entire season from a parody of her POV; painting the Quitter as a saint (almost literally) and the Dumbass and the Leg (which is it's own character in the entry) as pure evil.  (With the Other Quitter always "just off-screen" in the screen-caps when mentioned at all.)

Not the funniest on it's own, but if you've seen the season, it becomes funnier.

Edited by SVNBob
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Mario posted an essay on Naonka and Fabio . . . and the site crashed. Turns out Mario might upgrade to a better server for a year, then kill the site altogether. I'd post the whole message, but I think that qualifies as "off-topic."

Has an alternate site/server been identified yet?

Here's the Funny115 Facebook page with the details, though I don't know if non-users can see it.

23 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

I read the whole thing before the crash.  It was, in essence, the entire season from a parody of her POV; painting the Quitter as a saint (almost literally) and the Dumbass and the Leg (which is it's own character in the entry) as pure evil.  (With the Other Quitter always "just off-screen" in the screen-caps when mentioned at all.)

Not the funniest on it's own, but if you've seen the season, it becomes funnier.

Sounds about right. I know the guy can divide a room, but I usually get a laugh out of Mario's essays.

1 hour ago, KimberStormer said:

Andrea's much better already  If you can figure out how to see the other pictures in this set (click the arrow in the picture itself), you can see how banged-up she was (warning, blood).  Very happy to see she's doing OK.

Glad she’s doing better!  She looked unrecognizable in her photos right after the accident.  She’s very lucky she didn’t have more serious injuries.  

• Love 2
On 10/26/2017 at 4:33 PM, fishcakes said:

I say this at least once every other season. I mention season one Rudy talking about how he was going to open "one of the cans of peaches," how in season two Australia they got not only canned goods but also brown rice, white rice, and flour, and the only reason why they ran out of food was because, as Jerri and Colby complained loudly and often, Keith was cooking too much food and they ended up throwing a lot of it away. Every single time, I am beset on all sides by people saying I'm wrong, that all they had to eat was rats and a soup made out of river water and Elisabeth Filarski's fallen hair, and rewards consisted of single bites of pizza. And someone always says that nowadays they're given so much food that some players actually gain weight.

So I got a kick out of so many people going nuts a couple of weeks ago because Joe dared to throw a thinly sliced piece of half-cooked potato away. "MY GOD, THEY'RE STARVING OUT THERE. YOU DON'T THROW FOOD AWAY." I knew it wouldn't be long before the comments about how they're coddled would begin again.

The scale of rewards certainly changed with the success and increased budget of the show. I remember watching some behind the scenes show where they told the story of a reward Wiglesworth won, which was a night at a "Survivor bar," where they ended up decorating a production building right near her camp to look like a bar and took her blindfolded on a long boat ride to make it seem like they went somewhere, lol. And there were crappy ones like the doritos and mountain dew reward, but if I were eating rice and brown water all the time, mountain dew and doritos would taste pretty damn good. 

But there were some pretty good rewards even back then. 

Natalie was hidden by the editors because they were so focused on Russell. Natalie was willing to use Russell and his abhorrent behavior to her benefit. Others from that season have said that Natalie worked to keep Russell in the game and we were not shown that. She is probably the winner who received the worst possible edit because the Producers thought we would all love Russell so much.

Sounds like the same strategy that Parvati used, but with better results. I only watched Samoa once so the details are fuzzy, but their Final 3 mate (Mick the doctor) didn't seem like a bad guy. Again, since it was The Russell Show, we saw very little from him as well, but judging by the fact that he got completely blanked in the votes, I guess the jury also didn't think much of him? 

Update: Mario has started a GoFundMe to save his site. I'll probably kick in a few bucks for that. Apologies if this is off-topic, though I feel that Mario does count as  a historian of sorts, because he remembers shit I forgot days after I saw it.

Is it wrong that if somebody brings up Natalie winning, I would go, "Oh, yeah, Natalie Anderson. Liked her a lot!" All I'd remember about Samoa immediately was that Russell didn't win, and that's enough to please me.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Update: Mario has started a GoFundMe to save his site. I'll probably kick in a few bucks for that. Apologies if this is off-topic, though I feel that Mario does count as  a historian of sorts, because he remembers shit I forgot days after I saw it.

Hmm... is Mario aware of sites like Patreon?  I mean, how he manages and funds his site is his business - but GoFundMe and sites like it are designed to support one-time fundraising shots at collecting medium-to-large size fund amounts.  Great for things like funding a project, a small company startup, helping someone pay off accumulated medical bills, etc., but kind of weak in terms of supporting collections for long-term expenses like ongoing operational costs.

Contrariwise, Patreon and sites like it are the other way around; not necessarily great at once-off large-scale fundraising ventures, but for long-term sustained collection of small-to-medium donation amounts there’s nothing better.  I support several content providers that way, with Patreon billing my PayPal a small monthly lump sum amount which is spread across the providers I have volunteered to support.

Frankly, I’m surprised more content providers - like P.tv, or example - haven’t gone that route.  ;)

Edited by Nashville
Expansion
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I may be a big Mario hater but I still think this is perfectly on-topic (maybe a better fit in the Survivor in the Media thread but who cares.)

12 hours ago, Nashville said:

Hmm... is Mario aware of sites like Patreon?  I mean, how he manages and funds his site is his business - but GoFundMe and sites like it are designed to support one-time fundraising shots at collecting medium-to-large size fund amounts.  Great for things like funding a project, a small company startup, helping someone pay off accumulated medical bills, etc., but kind of weak in terms of supporting collections for long-term expenses like ongoing operational costs.

Contrariwise, Patreon and sites like it are the other way around; not necessarily great at once-off large-scale fundraising ventures, but for long-term sustained collection of small-to-medium donation amounts there’s nothing better.  I support several content providers that way, with Patreon billing my PayPal a small monthly lump sum amount which is spread across the providers I have volunteered to support.

He has a Patreon (only about a month old and that many didn't know about, but got quite a few mentions as part of this whole process), but the GoFundMe was for an immediate solution to get the site back up and running as soon as possible.  And it was fully funded within hours of the announcement going public. In part due to some other bigger names tangential to the Survivor community, like Gordon Holmes and Josh Wigler, tweeting about the campaign.  Mario has said that he's then donating any funds beyond his expenses (for whichever server size he could afford after this turning into a one-day campaign) to other Survivor community projects.

16 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Sounds like the same strategy that Parvati used, but with better results. I only watched Samoa once so the details are fuzzy, but their Final 3 mate (Mick the doctor) didn't seem like a bad guy. Again, since it was The Russell Show, we saw very little from him as well, but judging by the fact that he got completely blanked in the votes, I guess the jury also didn't think much of him? 

The big difference is that Parvati bought into Russell's idiocy and participated. Parvati read the letter a bunch of times, encouraged Russell to re-read the letter and joined in on the bullying. There is no indication that Natalie did the same thing. Natalie worked to keep Russell in the game, what has been said is that she kept removing him from the target list because she knew he was a goat, but she did not participate in his abhorrent behavior. Ben's willingness to keep Joe around is closer to what Natalie did, except that I don't think Ben wanted to bring Joe to the end, just save him for an easy vote later when the target might be coming around to Ben.

Essentially, Natalie really saw Russell as a goat and someone who could be beaten because he was such a massive asshole. Parvati saw Russell as a goat but got her mean girl act on with him and was sunk by her bad behavior. Not to mention, Sandra played a pretty good game herself. She was stuck with Rupert, who is an idiot, JP who it is said (by many a woman in many an interview and who we have seen in progressive seasons not wanting) does not like working with women, and Colby who is that All American man stereotype. All of who were more willing to believe Russell, a man who they did not know but he had a penis and the men in his original tribe were being voted out so clearly the women were aligned and the women were evilly picking off the men because the women didn't like men, then Sandra, a women who Rupert had been aligned with in a previous season and who had a reputation for being an insanely loyal and honest player. Essentially, the people Sandra was trying to work with were idiots who were afraid to play with a woman for some dumb ass reason and were willing to trust an unknown man. Yet Sandra kept telling them the truth, Russell was going to vote them all out and there was not a womans alliance and Russell had played a role in voting out all of those men. 

What does this mean? Russell and Parvati's awful behavior and the knowledge that Sandra had been right all along and tried to work with them = Sandra winning her second season. She did the best she could while playing with seasoned idiots. Heck, she is probably better off that Rupert, JP and Colby were more willing to believe an unknown entity with a penis then Sandra because I think she is less likely to make the final tribal with Rupert, Colby and JP then she was with Rupert.

• Love 4

I don't know what thread to put this in, but there's been discussion about the things Jeff always says in every season in every episode, such as "The tribe has spoken."  Anyhow . . .

Today I was walking in the park (which is also a farm) and went by the pigs. Some of them came up to the fence grunting and looked at me expectantly. So I quoted Jeff and said, "Sorry, got nothin' for ya!" But I didn't say, "Get back to camp!" because they were already there.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

"Sorry, got nothin' for ya!  Get back to camp!"

That is the one Jeff-ism I have used in daily life before, invariably speaking to my dogs.  

8 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

That is the one Jeff-ism I have used in daily life before, invariably speaking to my dogs.  

My dogs end up with a treat because they look so damn cute and sit so nicely and wag their tales with those big, begging eyes....

I am the sucker in the house.

Funny115 is back, casting NaOnka as the heroine of Nicaragua. Yes, it's tongue-in-cheek. Also, Mario wound up getting a lot of support, so his stuff is probably safe.

Just wanted to check: was Ben's play from last week the first time an idol negated a unanimous vote? I mean, that's the ultimate idol play, even if the field is down to a mere seven. And I'm still puzzled/annoyed that Probst didn't say "Ben has spoken" to Lauren.

On 2017-12-14 at 2:25 PM, Lantern7 said:

Funny115 is back, casting NaOnka as the heroine of Nicaragua. Yes, it's tongue-in-cheek. Also, Mario wound up getting a lot of support, so his stuff is probably safe.

Unpopular opinion, but NaOnka is my favourite player from Nicaragua after Brenda and Sash. Before she quit I think she was playing the best strategic game (especially after Alina/Marty/Brenda went to the jury), and I generally found her pretty harmless when it came to her interactions with others. Who knows how she'd be remembered now had she not quit. Alas...

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Oholibamah said:

Unpopular opinion, but NaOnka is my favourite player from Nicaragua after Brenda and Sash. Before she quit I think she was playing the best strategic game (especially after Alina/Marty/Brenda went to the jury), and I generally found her pretty harmless when it came to her interactions with others. Who knows how she'd be remembered now had she not quit. Alas...

She wrestled with a one-legged woman. I mean, I'm not saying every player with a significant disability should automatically get $1 million, but Kelly should not have gotten that treatment --- or the inexplicable hatred -- from Naonka. Once again: had Naonka and Purple Kelly (why "purple"? No one cares) been barred from voting due to quitting, Fabio doesn't win. I can't recall anyone acknowledging this at the reunion.

14 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

She wrestled with a one-legged woman. I mean, I'm not saying every player with a significant disability should automatically get $1 million, but Kelly should not have gotten that treatment --- or the inexplicable hatred -- from Naonka. Once again: had Naonka and Purple Kelly (why "purple"? No one cares) been barred from voting due to quitting, Fabio doesn't win. I can't recall anyone acknowledging this at the reunion.

I've said this elsewhere on here, but Kelly was a badass woman who didn't strike me as the type to want anybody going easy on her. They both went for the clue and NaOnka got it. Had she backed off because of Kelly's prosthetic, I would find that condescending. 

(The comments she made in confessionals after that were rude, but I didn't have a problem with the interaction itself, and I doubt Kelly did either).

I thought Chase played a pretty terrible game, too. He had a lot of cards in the deck and still played poorly, whereas Fabio had very little to work with and made it to the end. It's such a tight race for who was worse that I can't get up in arms about the quitters getting to vote.

• Love 3

I feel like I read a post-game interview with Brenda where she said she threw a pity vote Chase's way because she felt bad he was going to get shut out, only to learn that someone else (I forget who...Alina?) had done the exact same thing.  Without that he wouldn't be even in smelling distance of the win.  I honestly have never grasped the "FABIO WORST WINNER EVER" sentiment.  He did everything exactly how we're always saying to do: he didn't make BIG ASS MOVES, he had a fantastic social game, he played a character to at least some degree which threw off all the votes he should have been getting at the merge as very clearly the most fit young dude, he played the jury like fiddles during the last three or four tribals (effortlessly making Sash and Chase look like absolute assholes) where he also turned it on at challenges and dominated them just at the right moment.  He's even a hot (sooooo hoooottttt) sweet gentle non-alpha challenge beast with beautiful eyes and fabulous hair, just like Joey Amazing and Ken and all the dudes that this board usually goes absolutely bananas for.  I get why, like, Survivor Reddit would hate him -- he's everything those shitty aggro gamergater alpha nerds are not -- but I don't get it here!  Fabio is great!  He played a fantastic game in Nicaragua!  He's no Kim Spradlin, but he does not deserve at all to be at the bottom of the list with Bob. 

EDIT: He didn't even make up his own nickname!  He just went with it because that's what the tribe wanted, and why not go with the flow!  Why don't you guys love Fabio like I do?

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 10

Kinda obvious. Fabio's winning margin was two quitters. Even if Brenda or Alina said it was just a couple pity votes, I think there was some clear pro-Chase feelings on the jury and not having NaOnka/Kelly's voices involved in the process could have made a huge difference. Also consider if they stuck around, that means Fabio would have to win five straight immunities, instead of three. 

Then you consider Fabio never really had a clue what the dynamics were and stuck with his "deal," with Chase even with Sash advising him against it which lead to the 5-4 vote, worst winner ever gameplay-wise, IMO. At least Bob knew he was screwed and actively work hard to do something to change it. 

It's beside the point, but Fabio had a fantastic "Oh shit," reaction when the votes were read. Everybody told him he had it in the bag and he was shocked that the vote was that close. 

• Love 1

In the bigger picture, I don't think anybody should analyze Nicaragua that deeply. Remember, this was the season before the "Rob vs. Russell" "showdown" in Redemption Island, so we got a bunch of idiots cast to make those two look better. At least that's my takeaway. Also Jimmy Johnson, who does have a brain, but probably was better off lasting under a week in the game.

• Love 1

I loved Jud's win.  It's nice to hear of others who did.  I wish there would be other winners in his mold.  I guess that's why part of me is rooting for Mike.  

5 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I thought she was on the Purple tribe and there were two Kelly's that season

La Flor, the younger tribe, was yellow. 

Purple could also mean purple prose: “this is the HARDEST thing I’ve ever done! <cries>”