Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: The Tribe Has Spoken

• Start Topic

I've seen a lot of comparisons of this season to Heroes Healers Hustlers. And while I get the Rick to Ben comparison, I think that really does Heroes Healers Hustlers a disservice.

Because HHH actually had other characters than Ben.

Chrissy was a huge character in her own right. She was running the show, winning every immunity. She was the one with the fake idols and the bravado. She ran that alliance with an iron fist, and as such, was the perfect "villain" to Ben's "hero." They even had a great "former allies turned bitter rivals" story.

Ryan turned into skin and bones post-merge, but prior to the merge, he was a huge character in his own right -- running the Hustlers tribe, as a mini-Cochran.

Mike -- love him or hate him -- was a big buffoon of a character, but a character nonetheless. Making seemingly worthless tribal council speeches and analogies, but providing "good TV" or at least mild entertainment, all while whining how important it was to get Ben out.

Devon, the chill surfer archetype, who came up with the "super spy Ben" plan to make him a double agent. Working with Ben, while simultaneously trying to get him out. I believe he cast another vote against Mike to save himself at final 6 (?) because he had a feeling Ben would play an idol (or Ben had played an idol).

Heck, even Lauren Rimmer and Ashley had bigger, more interesting edits than Victoria, Gavin, Julie this season -- maybe comparable to Lauren.

So, while Ben's idol-hunting dominated the plot, I never felt like "Ben ate the show" on HHH in the way I feel like Rick is "eating the show" this season. And that was because Ben actually had a supporting cast, unlike "Rick, himself, and Rick."

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

So, while Ben's idol-hunting dominated the plot, I never felt like "Ben ate the show" on HHH in the way I feel like Rick is "eating the show" this season. And that was because Ben actually had a supporting cast, unlike "Rick, himself, and Rick."

I agree. Hell, even Mike Holloway wasn't eating the show the way Rick is. This is more like fucking Samoa Russell but without the hope that you might get to watch Rick lose spectacularly to make it worth it. OK, maybe it's not that bad, but it's close.

• Love 6

Rick is way worse than Mike, IMO. It seems like every time I'm watching, Rick is either on camera, on camera in a confessional, looking for idols, finding idols, or acting like a buffoon. There are other players I would like to see and hear from, but they figure that Rick is the only one we want to see. Ugh.

• Love 2
(edited)

Did Rick get as much heat as Rick has these days? If Rick wins, it would more or less be the same thing, but Probst won't rub up against him because he's a schlubby beta male.

ETA: Ben. "Did Ben get as much heat as Rick these days?" 🙄

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Did Rick get as much heat as Rick has these days?

I think you mean Mike? Mike wasn't well-liked here, but everyone else that season was so bone-deep heinous that even people who didn't like him were rooting for him to win at least a little bit. The non-Rick people this season are at least decent human beings, which is probably why there's a little more irritation with Rick thwarting them every week.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

The non-Rick people this season are at least decent human beings, which is probably why there's a little more irritation with Rick thwarting them every week.

The non-Rick people are ciphers, so I don't feel so much irritation with Rick thwarting them every week as much as I feel like I've accidentally stumbled into that old SNL skit: "And you are ...?"

Rodney, Carolyn and Will were all heinous, but I at least knew them as characters. In Rodney's case, I even knew his birthday.

I don't know what's worse: characters you know and hate or characters you don't know at all.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, fishcakes said:

I think you mean Mike? Mike wasn't well-liked here, but everyone else that season was so bone-deep heinous that even people who didn't like him were rooting for him to win at least a little bit. The non-Rick people this season are at least decent human beings, which is probably why there's a little more irritation with Rick thwarting them every week.

24 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

The non-Rick people are ciphers, so I don't feel so much irritation with Rick thwarting them every week as much as I feel like I've accidentally stumbled into that old SNL skit: "And you are ...?"

Rodney, Carolyn and Will were all heinous, but I at least knew them as characters. In Rodney's case, I even knew his birthday.

I don't know what's worse: characters you know and hate or characters you don't know at all.

Mike was a dick but a better quality of dick who acted less like a dick after he was no longer in the majority. 

And that season had Dan Foley and Shirin as well. And Sierra who still doesn’t understand her awful game play. It was a pretty bad cast with some of the cast be awful human beings. Well, the tribe with Joe, Hali and one other woman whose name I am forgetting were not awful people but they were bad at the game. 

Mike was buddy buddy with Dan and not coming off great. He wasn’t nearly as bad as Dan but he was not looking good. Once Mike decided he wanted to play more then the “Stay strong with my original alliane” strategy he became an evil person in Dan, Rodney, Carolyn, and Will’s eyes. 

Then Mike was portrayed as an underdog who was tyring to win the game against all odds. And found idols and it was boring. He was the least awful choice of a winner that we had. He was better then Joe or Hali who I am nit sure were actually playing Survivor that season or if they thought it was a cool vacation on th ebeach without much to eat.

The only enjoyable thing about the reunion was watching Dan get taken down by Jeff and then laughing at Will who refused to apologize for saying Shirin didn’t have a soul. 

Rodney was a buffon but I am left with the impression that he was more of a buffon then anyone I thought was dangerous or evil. Will and Dan were in the dangerous and evil catagory. 

So Rick shares a bit of an arc with Mike. Crappy game play, not the best edit, then suddenly gets a redemption arc and I am suppose to like him because he is plucky and finding idols and the like. 

But I didn’t like Mike and I don’t care for Rick. Rick is not henious, or even a dick or a jerk. He is also not a good player. He has no social game, no real ability to effect the game other then idols and praying that he wins out individual immunity. He has be wrong on every vote. And he has been voted out once already. 

So yeah.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I think you mean Mike?

First of all, I HATE when that happens. Secondly, I meant Ben. In my head, he and Rick are similar . . . editors like them a lot, they find idols and obnoxiously play them, yet I wouldn't hate either of them because the other players should have made damn sure they couldn't find idols.

I just remembered Mike. That was the season with Rodney and Dan "Fugly" Foley, yes?

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

First of all, I HATE when that happens. Secondly, I meant Ben. In my head, he and Rick are similar . . . editors like them a lot, they find idols and obnoxiously play them, yet I wouldn't hate either of them because the other players should have made damn sure they couldn't find idols.

I just remembered Mike. That was the season with Rodney and Dan "Fugly" Foley, yes?

Yes. I was thinking about this earlier, but the most amazing thing about Dan Foley is that he is probably the one person that everyone here agrees is horrible in every respect. For everyone else, even if they're mostly unpopular like Russell or extremely unpopular like Colton, you can find something to say about them or their game that, if it's not exactly positive isn't completely negative. But not Foley. That guy is a complete asshole dumbshit in every way and if anyone here feels differently, they seem to be keeping it to themselves.

Oh, Ben. Yeah, a lot of people felt like his win was illegitimate because he found a lot of idols and because the F4 firemaking challenge started that season. I didn't mind Ben that much mostly because I thought Chrissy was an awful person, Devon was a dumb hypocrite, and Ryan was ... I don't know. Ryan wasn't horrible, but he seemed to give up once he wasn't in a good game position and, also, I was tired of looking at his unpixelated junk swinging low in those jersey boxers he wore. Ben seemed mostly okay to me, but even I thought his hero edit in the finale was over the top.

• Love 6

I thought Chrissy should have won that season. She was divisive but I thought she played a good game. I didn’t mind Ben but thought that the fire making challenge was bullshit.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, fishcakes said:

but the most amazing thing about Dan Foley is that he is probably the one person that everyone here agrees is horrible in every respect. For everyone else, even if they're mostly unpopular like Russell or extremely unpopular like Colton, you can find something to say about them or their game that, if it's not exactly positive isn't completely negative. But not Foley. That guy is a complete asshole dumbshit in every way and if anyone here feels differently, they seem to be keeping it to themselves.

And I think I know why.

Unfortunately, Dan is one of us.  Not necessarily in the "posting here" sense.  But he's an admitted Survivor superfan who got lucky enough to be on the show we all love and (over-)analyze.  The fact that he was so bad at it, and a bad person on top of that, reflects badly on us.  So we're doing our best to distance him from the rest of the superfan community.

• Love 1
On 5/9/2019 at 10:51 PM, SVNBob said:

Unfortunately, Dan is one of us.  Not necessarily in the "posting here" sense.  But he's an admitted Survivor superfan who got lucky enough to be on the show we all love and (over-)analyze.  The fact that he was so bad at it, and a bad person on top of that, reflects badly on us.  So we're doing our best to distance him from the rest of the superfan community.

Oh, that's interesting. I don't know that I personally think of Dan as a superfan because he didn't seem to understand the game all that well ("Flippers. Never. Win." comes to mind), but he clearly considered himself one and part of his issue with Shirin seemed to be that she most definitely was a superfan and her knowledge of the game was encyclopedic to the point where it annoyed all her tribemates and was far superior to his own.

But you may be right in that superfans often aren't all that popular here on the boards. Shirin, Cochran, Spencer, Max, Randy, Eric. Maybe because we secretly harbor the notion that we know the game so well, we'd be great at playing it, then these goobers show up to demonstrate that it doesn't necessarily work that way.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Without spoiling tonight's episode: should Edge of Extinction go down as the most clusterfuck season of Survivor ever?

Thailand was pretty bad. And then there was Russell vs Rob. That was pretty bad. 

But yeah, this season goes down as the worst ever. I mean, the person who won was voted off on day 5, or was it 6? Just uggghhhh

(edited)
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Without spoiling tonight's episode: should Edge of Extinction go down as the most clusterfuck season of Survivor ever?

I don't know if anything will be as bad as Thailand or World's Apart.  But I can find some redeeming qualities in those bottom feeders.  Not sure if I can with EOE.  The whole thing was a joke, and a jury of so-called super fans and returning players voting for someone that they bonded with pretty much cemented the fact that Survivor is a popularity contest first.

Edited by LadyChatts

Bringing a discussion about underwear and how long we had to see contestants in it, from the Reunion thread:

In the more recent past, it always seemed like they were in their underwear until close to the merge, then in their bathing suits the rest of the time. The last time I remember that is Heroes Healers Hustlers, because Ryan was in these skinny red boxer briefs until he mercifully got pink swim trunks.

I want to say they did that in Ghost Island, too, but I'm hard pressed to remember bathing suits in David vs Goliath. I always thought they made them wear their underwear and then bathing suits specifically so they weren't wearing the same "undergarments" for 39 days. But in the last one (two?) seasons, maybe that hasn't been the case?

I can't think of a reason why they'd suddenly want contestants in underwear the entire time vs a bathing suit, unless people were getting ... infections from wet bathing suits? But wouldn't underwear have the same risk? Or women didn't have adequate support? I'm stumped.

• Love 1

Hey all, hope this is an okay place to ask for recommendations for previous seasons to watch? I was a fan of the classic seasons when their aired and watched 1-10 faithfully as well as some of the later seasons (like Toncatins with Coach and the Heroes vs Villains season. I think the reason I stopped watching was because I hated Russell so much LOL. CBS All Access has pretty much every single season and rewatching the earlier seasons I loved has reminded me of the reason I got into the show.

So if you had to recommend some other seasons to check out (say, Season 20-present) to give a watch, what would they be? Fun twists, loveable characters, hateable villains that get satisfying comeuppance (never forget Lil vs Jonny Fairplay in the final Pearl Islands immunity challenge trolololol) or just solid seasons all-around.

With Michelle Schubert's appearance on American Ninja Warrior, that's now eight former Millennials vs Gen X folks who've been on reality-ish TV again (Michaela, Zeke and David back on Survivor; Chris and Bret on Amazing Race; Jay on Ex on the Beach; Adam on Let's Make a Deal; and now Michelle on American Ninja Warrior). I feel like that has to be some type of single season record.

Which means either this was a really good cast or they cast some pretty big famewhores.

52 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

With Michelle Schubert's appearance on American Ninja Warrior, that's now eight former Millennials vs Gen X folks who've been on reality-ish TV again (Michaela, Zeke and David back on Survivor; Chris and Bret on Amazing Race; Jay on Ex on the Beach; Adam on Let's Make a Deal; and now Michelle on American Ninja Warrior). I feel like that has to be some type of single season record.

Which means either this was a really good cast or they cast some pretty big famewhores.

I'm going with the latter, but I find that season overrated.

2 hours ago, Eolivet said:

1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

I'm going with the latter, but I find that season overrated.

"Famewhore" might be pushing it in a few places. I'm guessing Chris & Bret were further down the list of Survivor folks to cast on TAR than they'd admit, but they held their own and managed to entertain. And ANW is a legit good show . . . though "reality-ish" is a good description.

Anyone think Ozzy would be a natural for ANW?

• Love 1

Who is Andrea?

Out of boredom, I was measuring the success of past contestants by the percentage of time they were in the game. For instance, Parvarti is the leader among three and four-timers with a .974 percentage (114 divided by 117 days over three seasons).  Andrea comes in third at .880 . . . but I don't have a "hook" that tells me what she was about.

For shits and giggles, here's the list. Green cells indicate a title. Yellow cells indicate days played in Edge of Extinction; I only counted days spent in the game, not in EoE. Time on Redemption Island would count, since they had to participate in challenges to stay in the game. And yes, I added three days while calculating those who played in The Australian Outback.

image.png.c7c29afaa845a188b171c97bf6b683a7.png

image.png.9d8c8fe8e1097cd6a881a98d3a22e774.png

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Who is Andrea?

Out of boredom, I was measuring the success of past contestants by the percentage of time they were in the game. For instance, Parvarti is the leader among three and four-timers with a .974 percentage (114 divided by 117 days over three seasons).  Andrea comes in third at .880 . . . but I don't have a "hook" that tells me what she was about.

Well...

Andrea was the first female Survivor player ever to get her torch snuffed with a live Idol in her pocket, so there’s that.

IIRC Andrea also holds another unique distinction - she holds the all-time cumulative record for most TC votes cast against her in the history of the series.

VERY cute blonde, great body, a helluva lot smarter than your average bear, and she can gut you strategically and be on to her next target before you even know she has her blade out.

Am I forgetting anything? 😉 

Edited by Nashville
Redactions made by the Office of Redundant Redundancy

@Nashville . . . thanks. I'm still without much of a clue. I mean, she's one of only four players to go at least 30 days on three separate seasons (all women, BTW). My concern is that I allow the editing to nudge me towards male players in terms of being memorable, for good or for not.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:52 PM, Lantern7 said:

Who is Andrea?

In addition to everything @Nashville said, she'd also hosted the official additional Survivor content for CBS prior to All Access.  And that led to her gig as the host of People NOW on People.com.  Basically, a similar post-Survivor path as Parvati, minus the win, marrying another Survivor, and having a kid (not yet on those at least.).

Also, according to her website, she's done some theater too.  One that looks like Jane Austen (or a pastiche), and another that could be Hair-like.

Got bored some more, went over two-time players. This is the top ten:

image.png.f8ab8fe4be31a8e140f2df8c490ce465.png

Tai. He's at the top. And his percentage of days played within his two seasons is slightly higher than Parvati. That doesn't seem real, does it? I like the guy, but I'm thinking he got that far on account of looking like a sacrificial goat.

And Keith is in third. I still think he didn't get enough votes to make Second Chances, but he got in because Mike Holloway became ineligible after his win.

I'm guessing that these lists don't mean much in the bigger picture, but it does make for interesting reading. What do you think?

• Love 1

Got bored some more. Used Excel on which contestants improved the most, in terms of the difference between their two stints. The co-leaders: Monica and Brad Culpepper. No, for real. Each of them lasted 15 days on their first tries (I'm counting Redemption Island as still being in the game), then they went the distance the second time.

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Used Excel on which contestants improved the most, in terms of the difference between their two stints.

While Ciera went the total opposite direction. 5th, 10th, and 20th. I love that: it's almost poetic. 

• LOL 1

Everyone knows I hate Mario, but I give him props for that one.  Good lookin' out for someone who didn't deserve that treatment.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:30 PM, cherrypj said:

While Ciera went the total opposite direction. 5th, 10th, and 20th. I love that: it's almost poetic. 

Ciera to me shows both the virtues and problems with coming back super fast.  I know this will earn the wrath of the Ciera hatedom but I think she learned lessons that she applied the second time, and she might not have if she didn't come back so quick.  Maybe they were wrong Probst-friendly BIG MOVES lessons but shit, I'd rather that than boring; anyway she learned she had to be more aggressive, and she was hungry for the win whereas I don't know if she really was the first time.  I think if she had come back much later, she would have lost that edge and reverted to play-it-safe Survivor maybe.  Personally I like go-big-or-go-home and I think she had a good chance to have taken Cambodia which she certainly would not have had if she was playing it safe.

But there is no question that a player like Ciera had become is someone to eliminate ASAP in a returnee season.  The first boots on returnee seasons (e.g. Johnny Fairplay, Sugar) tend to be players who are unpredictable and self-directed, by which I mean they play for themselves to win, not their alliance, and come up with their own ideas, not let other people dictate to them.  People want to get rid of those players, because they will fuck up your game, and they're not good as goats or anything like that either.  If Ciera had not come back so soon after Cambodia, I think they would have forgotten about her to some degree, and/or newer and scarier people would distract from her, and she could have done better.

• Love 4
On 7/25/2019 at 7:41 AM, Lantern7 said:

Funny115: The Sage of Purple Kelly. Me? I’m wondering why I watch this show after reading this. Only thing missing was Probst dragging her while she slept, throwing her into the water to get her even colder.

I had no idea about her experience. And now I feel like a dick for not knowing.

Neither did I. I wonder if it explains NaOnka a little as well. I fully believe that Purple Kelly had less clothing than anyone else, but I wonder if NaOnka also did not have enough and was also struggling with sleep deprivation related to it. It would explain some (not all) of her behavior if that were the case.

• Love 3

Interesting how they treated Purple Kelly after quitting. I'm rewatching Pearl Islands and Osten quit but got off pretty mild.

I havent watched Pearl Island since it aired live so a lot of stuff I forgot and some of my reactions are different.

Originally liked Rupert but yeah he seems like a jerk now.

Originally hated Jon but as a villain he is pretty quaint and harmless by today's standards.

Annoyed Savage gets so many talking heads compared to Sandra.

I had zero recollection of returning players, surprised me it happened this early in the show's run. 

I'm just at the point where Osten bailed. I read he had some infections but all along Osten struck me as the kind of guy who wanted to be awesome at whatever he did, and if he wasnt awesome he would take his marbles and go home.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, cleo said:

Interesting how they treated Purple Kelly after quitting. I'm rewatching Pearl Islands and Osten quit but got off pretty mild.

There's probably a few reasons for that.

1. That Fucking Quitter was the first.  There was no precedent for what to do for someone who quit. 
  2. If they were editing this season while shooting the next, they also had Morasca's quit to think about.  Hers was understandable, so they may have tread a little lightly for the Fucking Quitter as a lead-up to her.
  3. His story was inconsequential to the overall story of the season.  He quit pre-merge, and left a losing tribe of losers.
  4. Conversely, his story was one of the only two that Morgan tribe had pre-merge.  The other was Savage's mismanagement of the tribe, including his hate-on for Lil.
  5. Except for the quit, the Fucking Quitter is the type of player that Peachy generally slobbers over.  A Male who is physically adept over all other skills.
  • Love 2

Eh. I've always said that Osten didn't really quit. He said he wanted to quit on Day 3 and told his tribe to vote him out. They didn't, so he stayed. Then he said it again later, they didn't vote him out again, so he stayed. The third time, they said they were prepared to vote him out, but TPTB wanted to force a quit for the drama, so Jeff didn't allow them to vote. He asked the tribe if they were going to vote Osten out and they said yes, so he said there was no reason to have a vote and Osten could just leave. But who knows how they would have actually voted if the vote had been held? If they were really planning to vote out Darrah, for example, who I think was Andrew's choice to go, they weren't very likely to say it out loud when asked. If the vote had been held, Osten might have been voted out or they might have voted Darrah, and Osten might have stayed as he did the first two times. BB in Borneo and Shawna in Amazon also asked to be voted out; in BB's case, the tribe did it, and in Shawna's case they didn't, much to her obvious distress (until the swap and the appearance of Alex, which perked her right up), so I don't see what's so different about those situations, except that Jeff never gave them the chance to simply leave at the moment when they said they wanted to. If Osten is a quitter by those standards, then so are BB and Shawna, so show canon aside, he wouldn't have been the first.

• Love 6

I think they were going to vote him out.  But the fact that they didnt, makes it even more unambiguous that he quit. Osten could have said let's vote. He said he wanted to leave and he left. It really doesn't matter what Probst did or didn't do, bc ultimately Osten chose to get up and walk out.

I wrote the following in last night’s episode thread:

Rob, Rob, Rob. Thinking about it, if Tyson hadn't gone rogue on the split vote in S20, maybe Rob would've gotten a lot farther that season. But no, Tyson's fuck-up led to Rob's boot, and we wound up with Rob and Russell Hantz getting a bunch of idjits to play with, and the safety net of Redemption Island. Once Russell fucked that up (as Russell is wont to do), Probst might as well just given Rob the check.

Back to the present . . . does anyone think Rob could have gone far if not for Tyson? Remember, if the split had happened as planned, Russell would have been snuffed.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Back to the present . . . does anyone think Rob could have gone far if not for Tyson? Remember, if the split had happened as planned, Russell would have been snuffed.

Definitely think Rob would’ve gone farther. Survivor Historians podcast that just came out discusses this. Always hard to project what could happen, but no way the Villains lose so many immunity challenges with Tyson and Rob still there. Plus Coach and Jeri don’t flip on Rob if Russell is gone. But who knows what happens at the merge. My guess is Sandra doesn’t win without Russell as her enemy.

Jay, of Millennials vs Gen X, and late of MTV's Ex on the Beach, is likely

Spoiler

the first U.S. Survivor contestant to be cast on MTV's "The Challenge" next season, according to casting information posted on Vevmo.

Will be curious to see if this opens the door to others from Survivor in the future.

29 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Jay, of Millennials vs Gen X, and late of MTV's Ex on the Beach, is likely

Reveal spoiler

the first U.S. Survivor contestant to be cast on MTV's "The Challenge" next season, according to casting information posted on Vevmo.

Will be curious to see if this opens the door to others from Survivor in the future.

Thanks for the warning. Did we hate him or not?

Speaking for myself only, Jay is one of my favorite players of the 30s. The chill surfer dude archetype, but with a brain and a heart (and courage enough to look Michaela in the eye after he blindsided her). Not Malcolm level by any stretch, but a solid social player who won two immunity challenges. He seemed pretty well-liked by fans, as well, though I think Jeff Probst found him too lazy and not Alpha enough to merit a return invite.

But anyone in a minority alliance who can sit through 4-5 tribal councils with an idol, and be able to read the room well enough not to play it, has my respect -- even if he went out like a doofus in the end with the fake idol. And "go ahead, Jeffrey -- snuff my torch" made great TV.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Speaking for myself only, Jay is one of my favorite players of the 30s. The chill surfer dude archetype, but with a brain and a heart (and courage enough to look Michaela in the eye after he blindsided her). Not Malcolm level by any stretch, but a solid social player who won two immunity challenges. He seemed pretty well-liked by fans, as well, though I think Jeff Probst found him too lazy and not Alpha enough to merit a return invite.

But anyone in a minority alliance who can sit through 4-5 tribal councils with an idol, and be able to read the room well enough not to play it, has my respect -- even if he went out like a doofus in the end with the fake idol. And "go ahead, Jeffrey -- snuff my torch" made great TV.

Jay was fun to watch in the game and a pretty good player, but based on his Instagram, he is always with Adam Klein. Always. So not sure about him.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Eolivet said:

Jeff Probst found him too lazy and not Alpha enough to merit a return invite.

Then again, given all Jay's MTV appearances, he might have got an invite or two, but had contractual obligations and schedule conflicts.  Or wanting to properly recover from one show before doing the next, because he's a Survivor fan and would know the pitfalls of doing 2 seasons of anything as strenuous as Survivor.