Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles

Sara2009

Ringer? I believe that was initially developed for CBS, but it was decided it would be a better fit on the CW. And after watching it...yeah, not a CBS show.

Maybe it was Ringer, the one with SMG?

Melissa's show sounds tailor-made for CW, I wonder how it'll fit on CBS, they want to attract younger viewers maybe. 

Maybe it was Ringer, the one with SMG?

Melissa's show sounds tailor-made for CW, I wonder how it'll fit on CBS, they want to attract younger viewers maybe. 

Remember that the CW is in some ways CBS Jr.  They're 50% owned by them, along with Warner Brothers--they basically took the wrecked corpses of the UPN and WB networks and smashed them together.

Remember that the CW is in some ways CBS Jr.  They're 50% owned by them, along with Warner Brothers--they basically took the wrecked corpses of the UPN and WB networks and smashed them together.

I know that, that's why people wonder why launch on CBS and not CW. It's also a woman-helmed superhero show which I thought was seen by the big 3 as more risky (for lack of a better word). But if it survives on CBS, it'll have more viewers than on CW

Edited by fakeempress

What does series commitment actually mean. Like if they see the pilot and its terrible are just stuck with it?

I think at this stage yes.. it means they've paid the production company for a large episode commitment and take a loss if they change their minds.

So they don't have to air it... but it would have to really suck for them to not do so.

Just watched Revenge of the Green Dragons. Damn Harry Shum is convincing as a mob boss. I think the movie plays on the fact he looks like butter wouldn't melt, he very cool, very smooth. The movie's not that great, but it has a nice twist at the end.

Regarding the question about series commitment, most shows with one will proceed to air somewhere on the network (even burned off on Saturdays).  However, there are exceptions.  Hieroglyph from Fox never saw the light of day last year.  The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt was picked up by netflix after NBC unloaded it.

Just watched After The Dark which is about a thought experiment on what happens after the apocalypse. It has Jacob Artist in a supporting role. (Why yes I am watch movies containing Glee actors I stan for!)

I did love that in a movie about what happens after the apocalypse they still had Jacob dancing. Also snuggling up to a cute boy too!

I've decided I need Amber to get a role on Empire. The singing aspect would be perfect for her. Maybe Cookie could manage her character.

This is what I want for Amber too. But I don't think it will happen because she doesn't seems to be all that interested in an acting career. But I would totally love seeing her on it. 

It's not as far-fetched as you think.  I was at the Empire premiere in Hollywood at the beginning of the month, and who did I see while roaming about the afterparty?  Amber.

I haven't been following Empire, what is the quick verdict?

I love it. Great premise, interesting characters. Taraji P. Henson is a goddess, and her character of Cookie is awesome.

I noticed its viewers went up this week when the third episode was broadcast, apparently that's unheard of.

Thanks, I'll give Empire a try. I'd like to see Amber get more opportunities and if that's a good fit for her, hopefully she joins the show. She's very hard working, obviously a brilliant singer, but also grew as an actress since the beginning of Glee. I think DWTS gave her more confidence, at least I felt her screen presence was very confident during last season. 

• Love 2

I'd rate Amber "most improved" amongst the cast in terms of acting ability.  I don't agree with the people who thought she was terrible at the start of the show, but she got markedly better as it went on.

• Love 2

I think Chris mentioned last summer that he was attached ? to some other movie (not the Coward  biopic or vague plans like the AbFab movie) but he couldn't talk about it. I hope it's still in the works. 

Edited by fakeempress

New TV shows that debut in the fall will be announcing casting over the next few months. Hopefully this will include more jobs for the soon to be ex Glee stars.

Broadway/Movie roles might be in the pipelines too.

I'm sure it's mentioned upthread that while Matt Morrison seems to have had a pretty quiet year last year, he's playing J.M. Barrie in the new musical Finding Neverland this spring (clearly based on the non-musical dramatic movie of the same name).

Not "cast," but Alfonso Gomez-Rejon (The Break-Up, Britney 2.0, Michael, Asian F, Born this Way, Glee Christmas, Grilled Cheesus, Laryngitis) is sparking a huge bidding war at Sundance. Reports say Me and Earl and the Dying Girl would break a Sundance record by selling for $12 million.

Watch it and pray Amber being at that party means we'll see her on it soon. It's good and I'd love to see her show up there.

She was pretty chummy with some of the actors and others involved with the show from what I could see, so while that doesn't necessarily mean something's in the immediate works, given the musical bent of the show and her apparent familiarity with involved parties (and not to mention being in the Fox family), I'd put her turning up on the show somehow as a very realistic possibility at some point, somewhere down the line, considering that show looks like it'll have a long run.  (Great, now I'm finding myself *needing* to hear her do a duet with Jussie Smollett)

Given how terrible this season has been, I'm just glad that with the show nearing the end, we're hearing all the news of most everyone's next moves, which is what I'm more interested in, not whatever twisted mess Murphy and company have in mind for the characters' endings.

Edited by twotrey
  • Love 1

Word has it Grant Gustin has been tweeting that he wants Darren Criss to Guest Star on "The Flash", which is quite popular in terms of genre shows.   Cool to see Darren has been cultivating relationships with some former colleagues.    I think I could see him as a guest star.

Word has it Grant Gustin has been tweeting that he wants Darren Criss to Guest Star on "The Flash", which is quite popular in terms of genre shows.   Cool to see Darren has been cultivating relationships with some former colleagues.    I think I could see him as a guest star.

A quick scan over both their Twitter feeds back to January 1 shows that this isn't true. 

• Love 1

Grant may not have tweeted about it, but he did mention in an interview (with Entertainment Weekly, IIRC; either that or E! Online) that he wanted to get Darren on the show in some capacity. Not sure how serious he was; it sounded like he likes Darren on a personal level and thought it would be cool to work with him again for that reason, but not that he was actively campaigning to make it happen.

ETA: Found it, it was Entertainment Tonight:

Gustin already has a Glee member in mind for The Flash should the stars align. “I was just talking to Darren [Criss] recently and saying that,” he shared, citing Criss’ friendships with Carlos Valdes and Andy Mientus. “I’m like, ‘Dude, we gotta get you on this show, we gotta get you in on this thing.’ I don’t know in what capacity but he’s got to.”
Edited by galax-arena

It sounds like what you say to someone you worked with, and whose friends happen to be on the show. That said, I'm sure they can fit him into the parade of mutants if they want to. 

Edited by fakeempress

It wouldn't surprise me if Darren ended up on " The Flash." Sometimes comments like Grant's turn into something.

I remember when Matt Morrison mentioned wanting Chace Crawford on "'Glee," and that finally happened last season. That could've been purely coincidental, but it amuses me nonetheless.

Darren may come out in the Flash.  As may Chis Colfer or Kevin McHale both whom have a twitter bromance going on with Grant for several years now.   However some interview where an actor says he would like to work with actor XYZ is sort of like saying hello and goodbye, doesn{t prove much beyond that as of now.

Look at the literally dozens of names popped out as wanting to come out on Glee or who Ryan supposedly wanting an appearance to happen and never came to fruition.

Personally I{m hoping Naya Rivera comes out as a villain on The Flash.

• Love 1

Very true. John Barrowman said he wanted to play one of Rachel's Dads!

I'm pretty sure I'll be watching anything most of this cast appear in. If I can watch a violent gangster film because Harry Shum's in it, I'll watch anything.

It is very violent, honestly it only felt gratuitous on a couple of occasions. But I did fast forward a couple of scenes (particularly a rape scene). But I always felt they were trying to show how bad this gang was.

What was also interesting is Harry's character is never involved in the violence. He's the boss, he's so charming and smooth, and has Harry's sweet baby face, it's chilling.

I may be mixing things up that Matt and Chase share an agent or manager, but I have some vague notion that Darren and Grant share/d some representation too.

Matt and Chace do share a manager, but they're also friends.

Darren may come out in the Flash.  As may Chis Colfer or Kevin McHale both whom have a twitter bromance going on with Grant for several years now.   However some interview where an actor says he would like to work with actor XYZ is sort of like saying hello and goodbye, doesn{t prove much beyond that as of now.

Look at the literally dozens of names popped out as wanting to come out on Glee or who Ryan supposedly wanting an appearance to happen and never came to fruition.

Personally I{m hoping Naya Rivera comes out as a villain on The Flash.

I think this is very possible because the Flash looks like it's there for the long haul, and people tend to like to have their friends as guest stars. Darren has another friend among the regulars on the show (the guy who plays Cisco). I'm not sure about Kevin's 6 degrees, but  regarding Chris, the guy in charge of scripted development for CW who developed the Flash, and Jane the Virgin among others, is a friend of Chris' boyfriend (according to the twitter and IG stalkers). Though Chris is busy right after Glee, I can imagine he'd love to guest on a superhero show, especially as a villain. Then there's Supergirl as well, if it takes off.

I agree about Naya, she'd be awesome as a villain

ETA: Just read Mehcad Brooks (I know him from True Blood) was cast in Supergirl.  jtrattray may like this news, I think.

Edited by fakeempress

I posted this in Small talk, but then I realised Jayma's in it, so I'm moving it here. Netflix is doing a prequel to Wet Hot American Summer, and bringing back all the original cast! I can't figure out how it's going to work as they're older, but I'm here for it 110%.
http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/2015/01/wet-hot-american-summer-jon-hamm-kristen-wiig-chris-pine-jason-schwartzman

The best TV news I heard last year was about the Twin Peaks reboot. This year is already made for me by the news above.

ETA: Just read Mehcad Brooks (I know him from True Blood) was cast in Supergirl. jtrattray may like this news, I think.

I am ridiculously excited about Supergirl. I was excited anyway, but I love Melissa. Never watched much of True Blood so I'm not familiar with Mehcad Brooks but I like what I see.

ETA: I've seen him in a episode of Cold Case. Dude hasn't aged in ten years.

Edited by jtrattray

I am ridiculously excited about Supergirl. I was excited anyway, but I love Melissa. Never watched much of True Blood so I'm not familiar with Mehcad Brooks but I like what I see.

ETA: I've seen him in a episode of Cold Case. Dude hasn't aged in ten years.

Mehcad was also on a USA Network show called Necessary Roughness, where he played a football star in therapy. He was good, and also got the eye candy factor down. 

I thought the "rattray" in your nick referred to the Rattrays in True Blood :)

Edited by fakeempress

Talking about who will go where next:  I think Blaine was a pretty standard-fare character--nothing particularly memorable about him that would get Criss stuck in a rut.  I'd be surprised to see a tv show built around him, but not surprised to see him cast in an ensemble drama or sitcom.  I think Lea, Naya and Chord are most at-risk to be typecast as over-the-top diva, bitchy bombshell and dumb guy respectively.  Chris Colfer has to worry about typecasting, but is prepared to write his own stuff (no guarantee it will get produced, but I don't think he or his management team will jump through hoops to get him on another tv show or anything).  Jane Lynch is really versatile, but I'm sure she'll continue to get tons of offers for Sueish characters because Hollywood is risk-averse that way.  I hope Amber makes it on to Empire or another show because I think she seems like a thoughtful, interesting person and I think she really earns the Most Improved Player award when you compare her Season 1 scenes to Season 5. I never think about any of the other actors so I have no idea what they'll do or where they'll go.  Stash those royalties, people.

No actor is immune from typecasting, whether it's playing the boy next door types, the gay guy or the diva. I think that for the actors coming out of Glee now (like it was for the cast that have had the past two years to do a variety of projects) these first few projects where we see what kinds of parts they are being offered and what kind of parts they're choosing to accept will paint a clearer picture of their options.

Chris is playing another gay character, but one based on a real person and I don't think that we're going to see any real similarities to Kurt in this part. Given that I don't think it's awful if he build a career playing well written gay characters (or character that aren't implicitly gay or straight the way Carson was in SBL), that would not be a horrible thing. There aren't enough really well written characters told from the gay perspective. Chris has mentioned other projects lined up for after the biopic, so it will be interesting to see what other roles he's being offered.

I'm not going to watch Scream Queens (because I refuse to get hooked into another RIB project which will only prove to disappoint me in the long run), but I am curious to see what kind of a part they wrote for Lea. I've said before (and I'll say it again) that she needs to get away from Rachel Berry.

Jane Lynch is really versatile, but I'm sure she'll continue to get tons of offers for Sueish characters because Hollywood is risk-averse that way

I would agree with this if Jane hadn't been taking  roles over the yrs that was nothing like Sue, namely on Criminal Minds. Her character on that show is totally different from Sue and Jane play her beautifully. I'm hopping that since Jane is free now, the writers over at Criminal Minds will be able to find a way for her character to be on more regularly. 

Jane had a long and versatile film history as a character actor prior to joining Glee. I especially loved her in Christopher Guest films like Best in Show and A Mighty Wind. I don't think she has to worry about being offered only Sue-clones after Glee.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 1

Jane had a long and versatile film history as a character prior to joining Glee. I especially loved her in Christopher Guest films like Best in Show and A Mighty Wind. I don't think she has to worry about being offered only Sue-clones after Glee.

LOL I really want her and Jennifer Coolidge to have a scene together on Glee and re-live Best in Show (my favorite Christopher Guest film).

As for Naya, I don't think she's really at-risk at being typecast as a bitchy character, because I think she showed a lot of versatility as Santana, and most people take notice of that. I'd argue that a lot of Naya's standout moments weren't the bitchy ones at all. But I think casting in her in things will be difficult because she doesn't fit in a box, ethnically. She's talked about problems she had before she booked Glee (not black enough, not Latina enough, not white), and I'm sure she'll have problems after it too. But, she's been working since she was a baby, so I think she'll be okay.

I think Darren is probably the cast member with the earliest expiration date IMO. No doubt he will probably book roles for his charisma/looks, but what happens when that goes away? I don't think he's talented enough to have great career longevity, unless he improves tremendously, which seems unlikely since I've seen little improvement over the past 5 years. And his original music just isn't good enough for a sustainable music career.

Matthew is allready booking more solo concerts for 2016. With the Houston

symphony,which he as played at before. He must have sold well for them since he is going to do three dates this time.

I admire his persistence, he could easily have given up after that 2011 attempt fell thru but he is constantly booking gigs now and even sold out Carnagie Hall with Kelli o hara.

I think Darren is probably the cast member with the earliest expiration date IMO. No doubt he will probably book roles for his charisma/looks, but what happens when that goes away? I don't think he's talented enough to have great career longevity, unless he improves tremendously, which seems unlikely since I've seen little improvement over the past 5 years. And his original music just isn't good enough for a sustainable music career.

Continuing from what I said about his Glee acting in the Darren Criss thread (and I'll repeat myself here), he'd be better with a naturalistic character, like the one in his movie but as long as it stays consistent in tone. He played the "straight-man" type role to the wackier characters in that movie and was fine until he had to switch gears to wacky comedy in the holdup scene at the end and that's where he fumbled noticeably.

I think Darren can do fine on a show or a movie about let's say a group of friends, but which has an offbeat style and more naturalistic narrative, like the early Ed Burns movies. Also play a character who is more about the suaveness and the charm. As to big screen success, he has the looks and charm to be cast, and success there doesn't always depend on acting skills. I don't think Chris Hemsworth for instance is anything to write home about as an actor, but he's a star, and many other examples like that.

Also add me to the rewatch Best In Show (or any Chris Guest movie) group. 

Edited by fakeempress

I'll agree that if Darren finds parts right in his comfort zone as an actor (which is really limited) he can have a productive career (at least in the short term). He's never going to be an actor that really surprises you (not without him making dramatic improvements that I just don't see him capable of), but in the short term he should be able to find work. I actually see him being employable in a TeenNick show, where his tendency to go OTT won't hurt him so much. The one problem there is that he's really starting to age out of that market quickly. He's 27 now and the closer he gets to 30, the less likely he is to appeal to that demographic